Chapter 40
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
 
“Papi!”
 
“Yes mi amor?”
 
Milagros startles me as she enters our rented room.
 
“Where is Huehue?”
 
“I am here, pequeña.”
 
Huehue sits on the floor across from me as I struggle to paint with my only hand. She is in the middle of recounting one of her many stories about festivals and music and dance.
 
“I am so sorry to bother you both but…”
 
Milagros is much more articulate now that she has been going to school. She is braver at voicing her thoughts and ideas as well.
 
“Come on in.” Milagros addresses the person behind her.
 
“I am sorry to bother you, Alvaro.”
 
“Rocio? Come on in and have a seat. If I'd had known I'd have some…coffee ready for you.”
 
“No, do not worry. I cannot stay to visit. I have to tell you about what I've seen.”
 
“Rocio?” Elena stands in the open doorway. “I heard strange voices coming from your room. I felt I heard someone familiar.”
 
“Hola Elena.”
 
The ladies embrace and kiss one another on the cheek.
 
“Are you all right?”
 
“Yes, Elena. I'm here to report…”. Rocio turns to me as if asking for permission to continue.
 
“Yes. She knows about everything, Rocio. She is part of our circle of trust.”
 
“Well, I wanted to let you know about the recent food shortage at the orphanage.”
 
“Do you work there?”
 
“At times, yes, Alvaro. I volunteer my time when I can and I often donate what I can of what's left from our vendors.”
 
“Did you find something out about the shortage? Well, other than the tax hike.”
 
“The taxes increased by the Commandante have hurt the orphanage greatly. The kitchen and food bank have taken a hit as well. But it's not just the taxes that have hurt us. It's the thieves.”
 
“Thieves?”
 
“Sí. We have noticed a few men enter the kitchen area after dark on a regular basis. We dare not interfere out of fear for what may happen.” Rocio’s hands begin to tremble. Elena reaches for them and holds them still in her own two hands.
 
“Dios mío, Rocio. Don't place yourself in danger.”
 
“I have not, Elena. Any other random thief I may have fought off but these men scare me.”
 
“Why is that?” I stop myself from saying anything further. I am fully aware of what happened to her, Milagros, and myself that day we met Huehue. I want to be sensitive to Rocio’s feelings. I’m afraid I cannot get all the information unless I give a direct question. Rocio is mature, relatable, and approachable. All good signs of a partner.
 
“Because they are dressed in uniforms.”
 
“They're soldiers!”
 
“Elena, don't yell, please.” Rocio tightens her eyes closed.
 
“Oh! I am sorry everyone. Lo siento.”
 
“So, we will have to do something about these soldiers.” Huehue stands, rotating one arm at the shoulder while placing the opposite hand on it. She is demonstrating she is alert and ready for action.
 
“Thank you Huehue. Sister Romina hopes you have a plan.”
 
“I follow whatever Alvaro decides. Right, Alvaro”. Huehue places her clenched fists on her waist, wagging her tail in excitement.
 
“That means I have to think of something. I'll be jeopardizing Huehue’s stay here. So give me until morning, ladies."
 
“Of course, Alvaro. Let me know mañana. By the way, I brought this for you.” She hands me a small basket of pan dulce, enough for each of us to have one.
 
“I’ll go fetch us some café.”
 
Elena runs out of the room. Huehue sits next to me on the floor to make room for the others. Milagros sits on my other side. She rests her head on my chest. Huehue rests her head on my shoulder.
 
“Is…this…all right?” She whispers in my ear. Her words tickle me up and down my spine. Before I can answer she begins to snore.
 
“Sí, Huehue. Rest while you can.”
 
...
 
*****
 
I awake in the morning with questions swirling around in my head. I look around the room and notice that I did not sleep in my bed. Milagros is wrapped in a blanket next to me and so is Huehue. Rocio and Elena are both laying on my bed together sound asleep. Our talk last night went on into the early hours of the morning. Huehue and Milagros didn't last long. But I spoke with the other two ladies as we tried to get a plan of action on how we would resolve the food shortage. Elena and Rocio both grew tired. The coffee and sweet bread only helped us for so long. I remember telling Rocio to stay with us for the night. Walking alone at night wasn't a risk I wanted her to take. She was safe here with us all. I'm glad she stayed.
 
I’ll let them sleep a bit longer. I know Rocio has a family that can care for the market. Milagros does not have school today and Elena has no chores to do this early. Huehue…well I don't get to see her rest very often. I take my hand and brush the hair out of her face. She is a beautiful person to behold. Amazing how she is not of this world. I lean over and the fragrance from her hair is just as strong as the first day I met her. What on earth would I do without this woman in my life? It reminds me of how I felt about Milagros's mother. We struggled to have children. We lost several in the process but she never lost hope. She became weak with time. It saddens me that I lost her when Milagros entered this world. Huehue speaks of Mictlan, so I know that she has to be there. But is she waiting for me? Or for us? Has she started…a new life with…a new family? I close my eyes. Memories and regrets fill my head. The quiet breathing and snoring from the occupants in the room lull me back to sleep. I'll have to ask…Huehue…what she will do.
 
...
0