Chapter 41
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
 
“Huehue! I can't believe we'll be going to school together!”
 
“Yes, pequeña. But remember this is all to get a hold of those thieves in action.”
 
“Who’s a pequeña now? Haha.”
 
I can imagine how Huehue’s tail must have reacted to that remark.
 
“I’m glad that Papi let you come.”
 
“Alvaro isn't my owner, Milagros.”
 
“I know that. But he really LOVES having you around.”
 
“Lo…love?”
 
“Papi has always had trouble waking up in the morning. And I know it's not because he's really tired. But now he's very eager to start the day."
 
“You really think it's because I'm there?”
 
“It has to be. His body is not the same and he should be sad. But he isn't. It has to be because of you.”
 
“Do you really think he…”
 
“Milagros! Who's your friend here?”
 
Sister Romina greets the girls at the door. I try to follow Milagros's conversation but Huehue has found a way to block the sound partially from me. All I hear is a muffled conversation.
 
It’s probably something Milagros and Huehue should only know about. I hate to admit it but I need to give Milagros some space as well. Sister Romina doesn't recognize Huehue in her young girl form. We decided to have Huehue sneak into the school and orphanage but felt better that she remain out in the open. I don't believe the thieves are really hiding from view though.
 
“Hola, Sister. I am…”
 
“Guadalupe…”
 
{Guadalupe? Really?}
 
“Like our Lady?” Romina’s curiosity intensifies. It was always difficult for her to hide her emotions or thoughts from others.
 
“Yes Sister, that is my name. But you can call me Lupe for short.” Huehue struggles with the name change. She said that she would play different roles centuries ago but was still a bit rusty since she came back into the world. I think she just likes the attention and wants others to know that it is her in disguise. She gave me her word that she’d keep her persona in check. Let’s see if she can manage, and for how long.
 
“Very well. Dios santo has placed you in our hands for a reason, Lupe. Please join us for breakfast.”
 
“Thank you, Sister.” “Lupe” bows her head before following Romina into the dining area.
 
“By the way, where is your family, Lupe?” Romina doesn’t even turn to look at “Lupe”. The nunnery must have to teach her to remain focused with a bit of tunnel vision for good measure. She’s more focused than when I first met her years ago. She was a wild one.
 
{Tell her you lost your family on the way to the town. That you separated in the desert.}
 
{Should I cry too?}
 
I honestly don’t know if she is being facetious.
 
{Well, at least try to sound sincere.}
 
“Sister.” Lupe begins her sob story. “They are…lost. I came by the desert and we…got lost and separated.” Lupe turns her eyes to the floor. She gives a brief sniffle that is picked up by Romina’s astute hearing ability.
 
“Do not worry, linda. Dios will care for you here. Please, enter the kitchen and ask the sisters there for some food. We do not have the greatest selection but you are welcome to anything we have.”
 
“Gracias, Hermana Romina.”
 
“I will take Milagros to the classroom. You are welcome to join us after your meal. Or if you wish to stay here, you can. Don’t venture too far from this area. We will get a spot ready for you in the classroom.”
 
{Make sure you bow in the direction of the alter.}. Huehue needs to learn some of our culture’s ways to better acclimate to her new surroundings.
 
{Why, Alvaro? Have you already forgotten I’m a god?}
 
{It’s not about that, Lupe.}. I smirk as I think this out loud in my head.
 
{Haha. Funny.}
 
I laugh. I’m sure she can hear me chuckle
 
{Keep up appearances. You are a lost little girl.}
 
{What do you think about having another daughter, Alvaro?}
 
{I love Milagros. I never thought I would have her in my life. She has been a blessing. But honestly, I’ve never considered having more children. I don’t even know…if anyone would want to…with the way I…}
 
{Why? Oh…I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…}
 
{Aren’t you in the kitchen by now?} I stop the conversation and segue back to our original concerns}.
 
{Yes, I am here.}
 
Huehue, still as her persona Lupe looks around the room.
 
{It looks pretty barren, Alvaro.}
 
{I’m certain that the monastery has taken a big hit from all the stealing. The raiding of the food from the food bank and orphanage is also to blame.}
 
<KNOCK KNOCK!>
 
{Huehue! Hide!}
 
{Why?}
 
{Just do it!}
 
Lupe hides behind one of the pantries.
 
{Can you see what’s going on?}
 
Lupe peeks out from behind the furniture.
 
“I will be right there!”
 
A nun enters the kitchen and makes her way to the back door.
 
“Buenos dias. How are you…?”
 
{Why is it so quiet?}
 
{Alvaro! Shh!}
 
The Nun’s hands shake as she tries to close the door. “Please. We don’t have any more to give."
 
A boot prevents the door from closing.
 
{You are not going to like this, Alvaro!}
 
Huehue’s nose tells me there is a familiar person on the other side of the heavy, wooden door.
 
“It's an order from the Comandante. If you wish to continue helping the poor, you must provide the Comandante’s men with what they need.” A stern, female voice comes from the doorway. It’s hard to tell who it is with the door blocking our view.
 
“But…but what more can we give.” The nun pleads. She slowly backs from the doorway, removing her weak hands from the door handle. As she moves away, the other person enters the room. I recognize Lt. Lavina. What on earth is she doing?
 
“Look, Sister. I already spoke to your Mother Superior”. Lavina, with hands on hips, bends over to place her intimidating face in front of the sister’s own. “I asked the Comandante for permission to come along and speak with you like this. I do not like it but orders are orders. It is best with me than with someone else. The men don’t take kindly interacting with women of power or stature.” She points at the scar on her own face.
 
“But, Lt. Lavina. We have nothing more to give. The sisters in the monastery are fasting more than ever to provide the children with food.”
 
“Then I am afraid you will have to give that up too.”
 
“What of the children?” The nun falls to her knees. She grasps Lavina’s hands.
 
“That is none of my concern.” Lavina pushes the nun’s hands away. The nun falls to the floor and begins to weep. Her sobs are mixed with words and prayers to Our Lady of Guadalupe.
 
“Men! Get in here and take what’s not bolted down.” Lavina barks her orders without turning towards the doorway.
 
“No! Please no!” The nun weeps into her hands.
 
Soldier after soldier enters the room. The nun pulls on their uniforms as she begs them to stop. Other sisters enter the room as do the children from the adjacent classroom. I peer over and do not see Milagros among them.
 
Lavina grows impatient. “Get these children out of here!"
 
Lavina orders the men. One kicks the first nun in the face. She falls to the ground, bloodied.
 
“Get out of here!” The soldier yells to no one nun in particular.
 
Another soldier grabs a little boy by the hair, making him scream in the process, and throws him to the ground.
 
{I’m sorry Alvaro! This I cannot stand for!}
 
Before I can say anything Huehue explodes onto the scene.
 
And what are you going to do little girl?
 
In a puff of smoke, little Lupe transforms into Huehue’s adult bandit form.
 
“Dios mio!” A nun blurts out. I hear the nuns cry and scream in shock.
 
Huehue proceeds to run around the room. She uses whatever tool or utensil to defend herself against the soldiers. They pull out their pistols.
 
“Not in here, you idiots!” I hear Lavina trying to rein her men from using their guns inside close quarters. I hope that she is considering the innocent bystanders.
 
A soldier shouts at the group. Rapiers are pulled from their sheaths.
 
{Huehue…the nuns, the kids, they are going to get hurt.}
 
{I’ll do my very best to protect them. Right now my blood is boiling. I’m sorry Alvaro. But your friend has got to go!}
 
Huehue pulls out her sash and uses it to whip several strikes at the men. She pulls, yanks, and tosses the men easily after they become entrapped in her whip-like sash. She takes a good amount of satisfaction in rendering two soldiers out cold. They are guilty of hurting the nun and child. She even gives them a good kick every time she passes by them as she fights the remains soldiers. Most of the men left are defenseless but they use their fists just as effectively. Lavina is not moving from her position.
 
{I know what Lavina is up to. Be ready!}
 
Huehue is cornered by two soldiers.
 
{Get out of there!}
 
And just as I warn her, Lavina strikes with her rapier. She pins Huehue to the wall.
 
Huehue growls and gurgles with anger.
 
{I’m going…to kill her!}
 
I feel Huehue’s animalistic hatred boil.
 
“So.” Lavina grows closer to Huehue’s eyes. “You are the bandit that has been helping the Rebeldes? The Comandante will be pleased to have you in his prison.”
 
{Huehue! I know you are in pain. But please, don’t do anything that will hurt the people around you.}
 
“So, you are the Comandante’s lackey? It’s a shame that such a strong woman like you will still do her best to work for another man. <SNIFF SNIFF> What do you know? It doesn’t smell like it’s the only “work” you do.”
 
“What did you say, Bandit?” She twists the blade into Huehue’s shoulder. I can feel the pain arching through my own body. I can’t tell if the blood is gushing from my shoulder or hers.
 
{Please, Huehue. I know you are strong and smart. You have no need to prove yourself.}
 
{You forgot I’m a trickster too!}
 
Lavina pulls at Huehue’s mask. “Now we will get to see who is behind…”
 
Lavina’s face changes from one of triumph to horror.
 
“What? You don’t like the look of your own face behind the mask?” Huehue taunts Lavina.
 
Out of the corner of Huehue’s eyes, I see her reflection from a pot still hanging on the wall. Her face and body now look like Lavina’s.
 
“What demon are you?” She pulls away from Huehue. Huehue pulls the blade out of her shoulder with disgust. Lavina tries to run away but Huehue pulls her by her hair.
 
“You need to consider your options. First, make sure…”. Huehue punches Lavina in the stomach. "You find a way to stop this from happening again…”. She punches her hard in the back, below the rib cage. “I don’t care if you have to lie to the Comandante. It’s just a job, right? You were trying to follow orders. Maybe tell him that Los Rebeldes fought you. Or that the orphans are gone. Or that you failed.” She picks up Lavina by the throat. Lavina’s eyes shut in terror and pain at looking at her own face. “But most importantly, do not harm these children nor these good people again. Or pray to your God that I don’t find you and…”
 
She mouths words that I cannot understand but I know she is whispering to Lavina. The reflection reveals a mouth filled with sharp teeth. Huehue slams Lavina hard against the ground, knocking her out in the process.
 
“I’m sorry you had to see that, sisters. Is everyone all right?”
 
The children cheer as Huehue transforms back into her bandit form.
 
{Thank you, Huehue.}
 
{For what?}
 
[al]
 
{For not killing anyone, even if they deserver it.}
 
{Do people truly deserve to die, Alvaro?}
 
{I think people deserve to live.}
 
{Why?}
 
{To live with the consequences of their actions.}
 
{All actions?}
 
{Yes…all actions. What are you going to do with the soldiers?}
 
{Oh, maybe I’ll get them away from here for a bit.}
 
{How?}
 
{You know that the mirror in your possession can do a few other things too?}
 
{Like what?}
 
In a puff of smoke, the soldiers disappear.
 
{What?}
 
“Don’t worry everyone. They will find themselves in the middle of the desert. Not too far from here if they know how to use the night sky for directions.”
 
{Well, that’s definitely new to me.}
 
{It taxes my health and makes it hard for me to concentrate. How else do you think I would travel into Mictlan?}
 
...
0