Chapter 44
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{Huehue…what do you see?}

{The same as you, Alvaro.}

I forget that our link temporarily cures her blindness. It also gives me an insight into how she thinks and behaves in certain situations. She can still block me from hearing everything she hears. I'm not sure about other sensations, though.

Huehue runs through the town's streets under the cover of darkness. Except for the flashes of canons in the distance, it is pitch black.

{What do you want me to do, Alvaro?}

{You mean with the enemy?}

{Yes?}

{Frankly, I don't know. This is a war.}

{So you want me to spare them?}

{You know me so well.}

{You are an odd man. Wishing even for the enemy to be spared.}

{I don't have the power to decide who lives or who dies, Huehue.}

{You do now.}

{Even then, I don't have the power to control you.}

{So if I decide to take a life I can and you won't hold it against me.}

{If you decide to do so, Huehue then I know how you truly feel about me.}

Huehue stops running and stares into the empty street.

{I don't understand, Alvaro.}

{It means that I won’t judge you but we walk on different paths.}

{But…I don't want to walk on different paths...from you.}

{That’s your choice, just like mine. I cannot or will not demand anything from you Huehue.}

{But if I do something different, something you don't like, then that means you won't …like me anymore.}

Huehue is taking this topic very seriously. It is not an ideal moment for the conversation but I continue with it nonetheless.

{It’s not that I won't like you, but yes, you are right. A rift may form between us.}

{No no no. Please don't say that.}

{Why? I thought you liked being your own person, Huehue.}

{I’ll do anything if it means…we can stay together as a family.}

I’m astonished. A brave god full of craft and guile wants to be with me...us.

{We will always be family. But if you decide you want to do other things it's your choice.}

{But if I do so that means we can't be close…or closer.}

{I really don't know why you are worried, Huehue.}

{I just don't want to lose…you.}

I stop. My heart skips a beat.

{I’m human Huehue. I can't be here forever. My body is only going as long as it can. Life has taken a large toll on me. In the end, our interactions with each other will be but a small moment within the span of your existence.}

{If you were that insignificant I wouldn't be here.}

{I understand.}

{No! You don't!}

Soldiers step into the street to confront the invaders. Huehue runs on the rooftops, remaining in the shadows.

{You are not insignificant.}

An invader tries to catch Huehue off guard as she lands on the dirt roads. He swings his musket and bayonet and misses as she tucks and rolls away from the attack. She pulls out a rifle from thin air and sends back a magical spell in response.

{Bonding with you has been the highlight of my existence. No one has ever been linked to me this way. I do what I do for you. For a chance to be with you, I'd fight all the gods myself.}

{It’s not nice to exaggerate.}

{You idiot. Idiot idiot idiot! I link with you not because I can but because I want to. We make a good team. We…}

A hail of gunfire from both opposing sides interrupts our conversation. Huehue in her bandit form elicits help from neither side.

“Huehue! Get in here!”

The firestorm continues. Huehue dodges what she can and dives through a door held ajar by a familiar face.

“Rocio? What are you still doing inside the war zone?”

“I was foolishly trying to protect my merchandise from thieves. The battle started before I knew I was fully immersed in it. Dios mío! You are hurt!”

Huehue looks down at her torso. Her outfit is torn in several places along her chest. She is bleeding from her shoulders and thighs too.

“Don’t worry. My body needs some time to repair itself. My concentration is being spent in two places at once so it may take a while.”

{I’m sorry Huehue. I'll let you be.}

{Don’t start…please. Just stay with me…and} “Try not to argue…please.”

{I was not…all right. I understand.}

{Gracias.}

“Is there anyone in this home with you, Rocio?”

“No. I am alone.”

“I need to get you out of here. As soon as I'm healed I'll take you back to Alvaro.”

“Alvaro! Is he all right? I'm so worried about him."

“You LOVE Alvaro?”

“Always have, ever since I first met him as a young girl. I’m not ashamed of admitting it.”

{What on earth?}

{Be quiet, Alvaro.}

He was not yet married but he had eyes for someone else. A group of strangers left the cantina one night as I was closing our store for the night. My father had asked me to pick up a few items from the store he had forgotten. Well, actually I was stubborn about running the errand. He was exhausted from the day and I wanted to feel important. The strangers ran into me and tried to convince me to spend the night with them. I refused. So did they. As they yanked me by my hair Alvaro showed up. We did not have a proper sheriff in the town so he did his best to keep the peace. When they pulled out their pistols he lashed them away with his pistolwhip. It became a physical confrontation and I ran away as Alvaro took care of them himself. A bruised Alvaro found me again hiding behind a wagon. His partner came along to help him tie the men down and escort them out of town. Lavina was good with a rifle and the men complied with her orders. Shortly after Alvaro escorted me home…he carried me actually in his strong arms.

“Like a princess?”

“Yes, Huehue. Since then, my heart beat the hardest whenever he is around.”

“Was he handsome? Strong?”

“He was always kind. And strong, yes. But his strength wasn't so much physical. He stood by the poor and the weak. And his eyes always showed a warmth and sincerity I have never experienced from anyone.”

“It’s too bad he looks the way he does now…?”

“What…what a cruel thing to say, HUEHUE!”

“Well. His body? Haven't you seen it? I’m privy to helping him bathe every day and…”

“It does not matter. I love him just the same and would do anything for him. He has raised Milagros all by himself. He deserves to be loved and nurtured too.”

{Told you.}

I keep quiet. I'm a mix of emotions.

“I think I'm plenty healed. Your story proved long enough to give me some time to heal. Let's get going.”

In a puff of purple smoke, she returns Rocio to our camp outside of town.

Rocio grasps my shoulders. “Alvaro!"

...

0