Chapter 51
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I open my eye to the tear-stricken face of Huehue in her humanoid form. Gone is the savage hybrid. There is little time for me left. Nonetheless, I find the strength to place my one hand on her face. It is smooth to the touch and delicate.

“My…Huehue?”

“Yes, Alvaro. I am here. Why? Why did you do this? Why are you going to leave me? I feel like I am being punished all over again. I tried so hard to do right by you most of all! Even when you didn’t know it.”

“After all these years, Huehue, you only focused on your pranks and mischief. Silly nena.”

“I flick her forehead.”

“The pranks and mischief are part of your personality. The people learned to love you for who you are. No, you were not punished for the mischief you wrought. You were punished for your foolhardiness and overconfidence. That is why you lost your vision, you lost your way. Everyone who has mattered in this life has loved you. I love you.”

I look into Huehue’s eyes one last time. The faint golden color darkens and returns with it a sheen of utter luminance.

“I…I can…see I can see you mí Alvaro!”

“Adios, Huehue. Te amo.”

“Te…amo…Alvaro Gael. Until we meet again.”

*****

The light illuminated the room as the sun rose. The window shutters were open. They allowed the sunrise to enter, alongside with noise from the outside world. The sound of people laughing and cheering reached my ears

I found myself staring at the ceiling. I want to say I was in a trance or lost in thought. Perhaps it was a form of meditation.

I turned to the side of the bed. My hands reached out to the pillow next to me. My two hands? I sat up and rubbed my two eyes. My legs were not useless nor difficult to manipulate.

I ran to the mirror and found myself whole. I no longer had any scars. My body was tall and strong as it once was before everything had gone wrong.

Footsteps approach my entryway. They bring the sweet spicy combined smells of vanilla and cinnamon. The aroma intensified as the footsteps grew louder.

“Milagros!”

“Papi!”

We run to each other, almost dropping the breakfast onto the floor.

“How?”

Milagros shrugs and smiles. She turns her head toward the door.

I turn and see a form beckon me to the outside world. I smile. I grab Milagros's hand, pick up a cup of warm atole with the other, and we venture outside.

0