Chapter 45: William arrested
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

William's POV ***

 

William rode out onto the list, but he did not do so alone. He was flanked on both sides by his companions, and though they were the grimmest faces, they were as noble as the first knight to be called a Sir.

 

The king-of-arm was at the list, and when he saw William and his cohort, turned his face away in wrathful contempt. It was the same King-of-arms who bet all he had on Sir Ulrich. The king-of-arms called on another official and together, they stood in William’s path as he took the starting position on the list.

 

“You will remove yourself from this position of honor,” said the King-of-arms.

 

William raised his head and saw the great multitude in the stands. They were all quite like cats drenched in a cold rain. Up a little distance, he could see a dozen black and white uniform of royal guards hurrying towards him.

 

Yet, he held his chin up in pride.

 

“I am here to compete,” he said, calmly.

 

The king-of-arms spat. “You are here to be arrested!” he shouted, snatching the reins of the horse on which William sat.

 

The royal guards dragged William off his horse despite him showing no resistance. He knew if he did his companions would take action and be arrested as well.

 

There was no need to arrest them as there's no evidence to prove they were aware of his true identity, if William had fled and they accompanied him that would assure their knowledge of the fact. However, since the knight in question and his entourage reported to the list they were of no concern and William was the one they really wanted to begin with.

 

Adhemar's POV ***

 

There was joy in Count Adhemar’s heart as he made his way past the cells of lawbreakers, men crying for mercy, those forgotten by the law, and those kept away by the mighty. He arrived at the intended cell and the constable leading him opened the door.

 

“Here you go,” said Count Adhemar, offering the officer a gold florin.

 

“What for sir?” asked the constable, confused.

 

Count Adhemar licked his lower lip. “There will be some sort of noise coming from this cell,” said he, smiling. “You have been paid to turn deaf ears to this noise when it does come. If you do not have deaf ears, then buy some with the money in your hand. Have I made myself clear or do I need to speak to a higher officer about your lack of intuition?”

 

The constable nodded his head and gave the cell a wide berth. Satisfied, Count Adhemar proceeded into the cell and found his adversary in there, tied to a wooden pole that ran across his bare back. He was naked from neck down to his waist, his head bowed in what Count Adhemar hoped was defeat and shame.

 

“He that strives to touch a star,” Count Adhemar began in that low, calm voice of his. He bent down and picked up a piece of straw from the cell floor. “Ulrich, or is it, William? He that strives to touch a star often stumbles at a simple straw.”

 

Count Adhemar broke the straw threw it at William's face and began circling him. “Do you have no answer to give?” He said, raising William’s head up by the chin. The latter snatched his head and refused to look into his face.

 

Count Adhemar chuckled.

 

“You have been weighed,” he said, rolling his sleeves up to the elbow. And without warning, threw a blow in William’s left side.

 

“You have been measured.” He threw another punch into William’s left side.

 

“And have been found wanting.” He threw a final blow into his belly, earning a pained grunt from William.

 

“Tell me, in what world did you stand a chance against me?” asked Count Adhemar. “I will win the trophy here in your own land, marry the woman you have followed for five years while you await execution, and your father dies of his misery and heartbreak. I am sure they will try to keep the news from him, but I will make sure he hears of it and he will die for sure; you see, I don’t believe he can manage losing you a second time.”

 

Count Adhemar mercilessly began administering blow after at William until his knuckles hurt. Then he blew the hair out of his face and rolled his sleeves down. And without another word, he left the cell, certain he would never see William again.

 

The world outside was free of the smell of rotting straws and deceitful men with wild ambitions. Count Adhemar mounted his steed and made straight for the house of Earl Douglas where he and lord Grove had agreed to meet.

 

He was certain the lord of Makinburg was not yet arrived when he got to. However, the servants led him to a balcony where he was served tea and told to wait. Oh, and Count Adhemar could wait; he was in such fine spirits that every now and then, he would catch himself smiling sheepishly for no reason. Not even the thrill of winning wars filled him with such ecstasy, or maybe it did, maybe he just needed a new kind of victory to remember what it felt like to win.

 

“Lord Grove,” Count Adhemar said, rising in respect. “It is a pleasure to have you hear today.”

 

Lord Grove looked older than the last time Count Adhemar had seen him. He looked stressed, tired even.

 

“Indeed,” Lord Grove answered, taking a seat opposite Count Adhemar. “Have you been served?”

 

“The tea is horrible, but for love, I can endure it,” Count Adhemar replied, smiling. “Let me not waste any more of your time my lord, for you are a busy man. I have come to finalize the details of your proposed union between your daughter and I.”

 

Lord Grove squirmed in his seat. “About that— “

 

“If the paper work is signed, I’d like to take Jocelyn home with me after the tournament,” said Count Adhemar. “As you know, King Henry has given his blessings already, and I would hate to disappoint him.”

 

“I understand,” said Lord Grove, nodding his head. “But can we not wait a bit? Jocelyn feels sick. And I would have her well before she leaves.:”

 

“She will be well when she arrives at my home,” said Count Adhemar, “My king of Messers will personally see to it that she is taken care of.”

 

“But why has King Henry so much interest in my daughter?” asked Lord Grove.

 

Count Adhemar smiled. “It is me the King is worried about. He holds me in high esteem and believes after all my service to the country, I should have a family to call my own. I will send you the paper work tonight, once they are signed, we will leave the country and have the church wedding done in Messers.”

 

Lord Grove seemed to think about this. And for a moment, Count Adhemar worried the man was going to change his mind. That couldn’t be allowed to happen.

 

“A hundred thousand gold florins will be delivered to your doorstep once I arrive in Messers,” said Count Adhemar, ”And trust my words when I say that is only the beginning. I have such great plans for you, Lord Grove.”

 

The man sighed and looked into Count Adhemar’s eyes. Whatever resistance had been building inside of him was gone.

 

“Very well,” said Lord Grove, “Have the paperwork sent. My daughter and I will have them signed and she will leave with you after the tournament.”

 

Lord Grove rose to his feet, and Count Adhemar followed suit.

 

“It was a pleasure doing business with you, lord Grove,” said Count Adhemar smugly, bowing slightly.

 

“Business you say?” said Lord Grove.

 

Count Adhemar nodded, yes. “Business I say.”

1