34 | Return To Game [1]
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All was silent in the car on the way back to Skyreach. Eriladar's foul mood created an icy atmosphere, causing the others to freeze in their seats, yet the cold air coming in from the gaps of the vehicle was warmer.

The others kept silent, each lost in their own thoughts. Only Taegen's concern for Eriladar was visible as he stole glances at him. It was the first time seeing his master in such a way, and he didn't know how he could help.

While the tension lingered in the car, Taegen fretted over how he could help Eriladar feel better. The tasks were always challenging and often resulted in disastrous outcomes that could put anyone in a bad mood. It was just that Eriladar had always been strong and was seldom shaken by whatever happened before or after the tasks. So it was difficult for Taegen to see his master in this state.

After working up his courage, Taegen leaned closer to the driver's seat and whispered so only Eriladar could hear him. "Master, is there something I can do to help you? It's hard to see you this way."

Eriladar was lost in thought until the other person's comforting gaze snapped him out of it, filling him with warmth. Taegen's innocent look and the way he was hoping to ease Eriladar's burdens, even if it was only a little lightened his mood. The tasks weren't always going to have happy endings, so what was the use of agonizing over them? His job ended when they were over, and he only had to move on and focus on the tasks to come.

With his eyes still on the road, Eriladar's smile grew less tense and more gentle. He was thankful for Taegen's concern and he replied, "your presence and willingness to help are more than enough for me. This task didn't end how we expected and although it's upsetting, we can't dwell on it forever. All we can do is look to the future and hope that the next one will be different."

"Yes." Taegen relaxed at the sight of seeing Eriladar smiling and sat up straighter in his seat. His body was now closer to where the older man sat, and his face was turned towards the window as he watched the world zoom by the outside. A calming breeze swept over his shining expression and lit up everything around him.

As the car drew nearer to its destination, no one spoke up and remained quiet. Yet, the silence was now a more comfortable one.

After reaching Skyreach, everything was as usual. The familiar building welcomed the group as they stepped out of the car. Eriladar took a deep breath of the cooling air and observed the surroundings. Taegen joined his master in looking around, and they both agreed to forget everything that happened in Dreila and focus on what was to come.

Moving towards the door of the place they called home, their steps echoed on the stoned pavement. The discomfort vanished as soon as they crossed the threshold, bringing them a feeling of freshness and lightness. The outside world faded away like a distant dream and they could finally relax.

Eriladar turned back to speak to Ashlyn and Nox who had entered the building after them. "Let's hold off on discussing anything tonight, and rest instead. We've had a tough few days and I'm sure you're exhausted. We'll meet in my office tomorrow and speak then. Your rooms are the same as before and should still be as you left them."

"I'll bid you goodnight and leave you to it."Eriladar stepped aside so they could access the stairs and then quietly walked away to enter his office. Taegen followed after him and turned to say goodnight before closing the door, stopping Ashlyn and Nox from seeing inside.

Ashlyn and Nox dragged their feet up the stairs, and without saying anything, they chose to go into their rooms instead. After they both collapsed into bed, they fell into a deep sleep.

They had breakfast in the morning and went to Eriladar's office to hear what he had to say. There was nothing left for them to do in Farwich, and the anticipation of getting back into the game was overwhelming. Sitting on the sofa, they faced the one person who could help them return, and Eriladar felt the pressure from their looks and he laughed awkwardly.

Clearing his throat, Eriladar folded his hands on his desk and said, "once a month Taegen and I enter the system space and travel to places that have the energy left over from an NPC becoming a Discarded One. We then bring them back to this place and help them settle into their new way of life. It so happens that today is the day when we will go to the system space and look for them.

If you follow us, we can help you find the correct door to your world that will allow you to return there. It is not an easy feat, but it is doable. Of course, you have to be willing and follow my instructions if you want to locate the right one. Today is the only time that a gap would open up in the system spaces defense system that will let us through. Otherwise, we would have to wait another month for an opportunity to enter it."

Ashlyn and Nox exchanged a look and then nodded in unison as they both said, "Understood."

Sometime later, they gathered their things and stood in a large room at the very top of the Skyreach. The room was empty save for a magic circle etched into the floor. Lit candles surrounded it, giving the room some warmth and allowing the group to see their surroundings.

Ashlyn surveyed the circle. Magic circles weren't rare in Archeline: after all, it was a fantasy game that had a whole array of magical beings that could cast such things. Plus, one could be seen everywhere that was used by Players and NPCs alike to travel to different places on the map. And even with Ashlyn's limited knowledge, they could tell how high-class this magic circle was and their admiration for Eriladar grew even more.

It was just a shame that they were going back to the game world and couldn't ask his advice on magic.

Nox stood by the outer edge, the glow of the circle lighting up his handsome features, and the glow in his crimson eyes couldn't be hidden. For the last few days, things had been hectic, so he hadn't been able to stop and think about what was happening in Archeline, and what Faye could be going through. But now, as he stood by the magic circle, his thoughts were filled with images of her.

Excitement and longing danced alongside those thoughts as he impatiently waited for the system space to open up so he could meet Faye once again. 

0