35 | Return To Game [2]
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The system space was just like they remembered: all white and endless, with nothing in sight. And as they moved down it, all the memories from their time in Farwich resurfaced, leaving them with mixed emotions.

It had been exciting, at least for Ashlyn, to go to a place that differed from the game world, Archeline, and they were excited about all the new experiences they will encounter. However, alongside that was them feeling anxious about the ones that had been left behind to deal with the main computer. And then there was the task and having to deal with the masked men.

Even though it was only short-lived, being in Farwich was something they would never forget, no matter what happened when they got back to Archeline.

They walked for a while and Eriladar explained some more about the system space. It was like he was just making conversation to erase his bad mood and to fill the silence.

The system space was a place of transition and a means to travel between the different game worlds. It appeared empty at first, but when you went over to the wall, a door would open to reveal the world beyond it. And it served as a haven for those NPCs who had been discarded by their respective game overseers.

And it was Eriladar's job to guide these NPCs to Farwich, the city of the Discarded Ones, where he would help them start anew. There they would live a life far different from how they did in the game worlds, and answer to no one but themselves. No more would they have to follow a script or be controlled by an unknown entity.

Coming to the end of his explanation, Eriladar stopped and turned to face a confused Ashlyn and Nox. "This spot will do. If we don't stop, we'll be walking forever and you'll never make it back to your world."

"Follow my instructions and you'll be there in no time."

The sun was setting, and the fire had dwindled into almost nothing, making it hard for Faye to see the words on the page. It was a telling sign it was time to put the book down, not that she had focused on what had been written.

She was absorbed in her reading at first, but then her mind wandered and she struggled to understand the words on the page. How could she sit here and enjoy the feeling that the books and tea gave her when Jarreth and the others were fighting against the main computer?

Thinking it over some more, Faye made up her mind and with a newfound determination to be of some use to the others, she put down the book and raised her arm so her wrist was eye-level with the communication device there.

For years she had been nothing but an NPC who gave out information and had nothing in terms of strength, so all she could do was to encourage them. And at the same time find out what was happening with Jarreth and the others.

She pressed a button on the communication device and tried to make a connection with Jarreth, anxiety bubbling up to the surface as she waited to hear his voice or anything that wouldn't be complete silence on the other end. But what came out of the device was only static.

Panic started to creep in as she tried multiple frequencies with no success. The main computer, which seemed to have little influence when they first saw it, was growing stronger and cutting off any external communications. Perhaps it was angry that its important test subject had escaped.

Her heart raced as she thought over all the reasons Jarreth couldn't answer the communication device. Staying in the library was no longer an option. It wasn't right to sit here while Jarreth and the others risked their lives for her sake. It was time to do something about it - after all; the one the main computer wanted was her.

Standing up she raced from the room and entered the bar at the other end of the inn. It was early evening so the place was filling up quickly, and was already lively. But Faye wasn't here to soak in the atmosphere of the bar, so she went to the counter to speak with Ilaria.

Amos and Kai were behind the bar. The grouchier-looking one was sitting on a stool fiddling with his communication device - he had taken it off his wrist and was frowning as he studied it. And the more cheerful one was chatting away happily with the customers. His beaming smile fell on Faye when he saw her coming towards them.

"Faye! Are you feeling better now?" His loud voice drew the attention of the ones closest to the bar, making Faye a little uncomfortable. She ignored them and returned his smile, although hers was more strained at the edges.

"Yes, thank you." She answered when she was within earshot. The bar was too noisy to even think, let alone talk, so she had to shout to be heard. She turned to Ilaria and said, "I know you're busy right now, but I need to speak to you urgently."

Ilaria looked her over and nodded her head slightly. Then she gestured to the door behind the bar and gave Amos a look before walking inside the backroom.

Faye followed behind and heard Ilaria speak up after the door was shut, blocking out all the noise from the bar. It was silent in the backroom, so Ilaria's voice could be heard clearly.

Her polite, kind self had disappeared, and now she seemed more on edge. "What is it?" She didn't say anything else, nor did she explain what had put her in a bad mood. However, Faye could guess what was wrong.

At first, she had thought that there was something wrong with the communicator she owned, but when she saw Kai fiddling with his own, it was obvious that all devices had gone down: the main computer had shut down all communication and wouldn't allow anyone to be able to contact others. Was this a way for it to gain back some form of control?

And another thing that Faye guessed was that Ilaria knew Amara, seeing as she had sent Amos and Kai to look after Faye when she was ill. Perhaps when all communication had ceased, Ilaria had grown increasingly worried about Amara, and what this all meant for the players and NPCs of the game. Though, it would most probably be fine for the players, as they could continue to live their lives in the real world.

Yet, for the NPCs, it meant instant death. 

0