Chapter 55 – The Night Before
91 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Five days later as the Kingdom of Dawn's army advanced toward the capital city of Florence, still not having encountered any resistance from the Florence forces left the army in an eerie silence that accompanied their advance that was both unsettling and perplexing. The soldiers, while relieved by the lack of immediate danger, remained vigilant. Their unease grew as they moved deeper into enemy territory, with the unsettling emptiness of the landscape stretching before them. Villages stood eerily still, their inhabitants either having fled or hidden away, their homes abandoned.

As the capital city of Florence drew nearer, the soldiers couldn't help but wonder whether this quiet front was the calm before a storm, an intricate trap that would spring into action when they least expected it. They couldn't shake the feeling that their enemy was lurking, hidden in the shadows, awaiting the opportune moment to strike.

However, no strike ever came. The Kingdom of Dawn's army, having traveled relentlessly for days, finally caught sight of the capital city of Florence on the horizon. As the sun was beginning to set Duke Gifford ordered the troops to set up camp. Tents were raised, fires were lit, and weary soldiers found respite, albeit an uneasy one. The capital city was right in front of them, it all seemed too easy.

In the makeshift war council tent, Duke Gifford gathered his key commanders to strategize the impending siege. Maps were laid out, and plans were drawn, with cautious optimism for the battles that lay ahead.

"We've come a long way," Gifford began, her voice steady and resolute. "But we cannot afford to be complacent. The enemy may be lying in wait, planning a counterattack that could catch us off guard. We must remain vigilant."

The commanders nodded in agreement, understanding the gravity of their situation. The fate of the Kingdom of Dawn rested upon their shoulders, and any misstep could prove disastrous.

Meanwhile, within the capital of Florence. Charlotte moved swiftly through the palace halls, her steps purposeful and her gaze steely. With King Lorenzo under the influence of the drug she had administered, she had effectively taken the reins of the kingdom's governance. Her plan was meticulously laid out.

Every soldier the Florence kingdom possessed was stationed within the city walls, causing a strain on resources, as the citizens began to feel the effects of this massive deployment. Rations grew scarce, and murmurs of discontent spread like wildfire. Many citizens complaining that the soldiers should be out fighting on the front lines but those complaints fell on the deaf ears of Lorenzo.

In the war council room, now commandeered by Charlotte, she ordered the generals to station the soldiers in strategic position on the walls. With over 40 percent of their forces being placed at the side facing the Kingdom of Dawn's forces. With King Lorenzo's approval none of the ministers or generals could say anything to dispute it.

The discontent within the military had grown significantly as well. As the Kingdom of Dawn's forces drew closer to the capital, the discontent among the soldiers and officers reached a breaking point. They had trained for this, expected to defend their homeland, but instead, they were confined within the walls of the capital, waiting for the enemy to come to them.

In the barracks, murmurs of frustration and anger filled the air. Many of the soldiers exchanged worried glances and muttered about the inability to defend their families, their homes, and their honor. The lack of action gnawed at them, an itch they couldn't scratch. Some began to question the decisions made by those in command, their faith in leadership wavering.

Within this brewing storm of discontent, a group of officers gathered in a dimly lit room, away from prying eyes. They spoke in hushed tones, their faces reflecting the frustration and concern that had been building within them.

"This is not how it should be," one officer declared, his voice laced with frustration. "We are warriors, trained to fight. To defend our kingdom. We cannot simply cower behind walls and hope for the best."

Others nodded in agreement, sharing his sentiment. They felt the weight of their responsibilities pressing down on them, a responsibility to their kingdom and to their men.

"It's our duty to take back what was taken from us," another officer added, clenching his fists. "If our king cannot see that, then we must take matters into our own hands."

As the night pressed on, their resolve solidified. They devised a plan to confront the king and the council, demanding action, a chance to face the enemy, to defend their land and their people. Their loyalty to their kingdom was unwavering, but their patience had worn thin. They were willing to risk their positions, perhaps even their lives, to fulfill their duty and uphold the honor of the Florence military.

In the dimly lit throne room, the officers stood before King Lorenzo, their faces etched with determination, desperation, and frustration. They had risked much to come here, their loyalty to their kingdom driving them forward.

"Your Majesty," one officer implored, his voice strong but respectful, "we beseech you to reconsider our current strategy. Our people look up to us for protection. Our soldiers are willing to fight for their homes, for their families, but we must give them the opportunity to do so."

The room was heavy with anticipation, the officers awaiting a response that seemed to never come. King Lorenzo sat on his throne, a vacant look in his eyes, his senses clouded by the influence of the drug Charlotte had administered.

"Your Majesty, we cannot wait any longer. The Kingdom of Dawn's forces are approaching the capital. We must act now," another officer urged, his voice tinged with urgency.

Still, there was no response from King Lorenzo.

The officers turned to Charlotte, their eyes pleading for her to help break the king from this state of stupor. They knew that they were running out of time and options.

"Madam Charlotte, please, you must reason with the king. We are on the brink of a disaster," one officer implored, a sense of desperation creeping into his voice.

However, Charlotte did not seem moved by their urgency. Her expression remained eerily calm, her eyes fixated on the drugged king who sat on his throne like a marionette with cut strings.

"Action is not needed," she declared with an air of certainty. "Tomorrow, this petty conflict will come to a swift end."

The officers exchanged bewildered glances. This was not the answer they had hoped for. It was as though she knew something they didn't, something that made her unconcerned about the approaching danger.

"Lorenzo dispose of these men, quickly."

Charlotte's command hung in the air, chilling the atmosphere of the already tense room. King Lorenzo, under the influence of the drug and Charlotte's manipulations, obeyed without hesitation. His eyes devoid of emotion, he summoned his ice magic with a flick of his wrist, sending deadly shards of ice into the foreheads of the officers.

The room was filled with an eerie silence, broken only by the sounds of the officers falling to the ground, their lives extinguished in an instant. Charlotte watched the grim scene unfold, her expression remaining impassive. It was clear she had no qualms about this heinous act.

"Disgusting."

Charlotte's anger and frustration surged through her, intensified by the audacity of those officers who had dared to challenge her carefully crafted scheme. She approached their lifeless bodies and, consumed by a fury that knew no bounds, kicked at them. Each blow was a venting of her rage, a release of the pressure building within her.

"You fools!" she spat, her voice seething with bitterness. "You were meant to serve the kingdom, not question the path laid before you."

The lifeless forms offered no response, and Charlotte's tirade fell on deaf ears. It was as if their silent figures mocked her, taunting her for her inability to control the situation completely.

After calming down, with a wave of her hand, Charlotte commanded King Lorenzo to clean up the aftermath, a grim and ominous chore to erase any traces of their treachery. Lorenzo, under the influence of the drug, carried out her orders without question.

As the fallen officers were hastily hidden away and the throne room restored to its previous state, Charlotte departed, leaving the king to sit in his throne until another command was issued. She retired for the night, her mind filled with the twisted satisfaction of having achieved a significant step in her ambitious plot. If everything went according to her plans tomorrow the Kingdom of Florence would be no more

1