Chapter 58 – Caution
202 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the echoes of the devastating explosion began to fade and the silence hung heavy over the battlefield, the Kingdom of Dawn's advancing forces remained in shock, their momentum shattered. Each soldier, from the lowliest footman to the seasoned commanders, stood rooted in place, their eyes locked on the still-smoldering ruins of the Florence capital.

Duke Gifford stood in silent astonishment, his features etched with a mixture of awe and dread. He had seen countless clashes, but nothing had prepared him for this. A conflict that had started less than two weeks ago had suddenly reached a catastrophic climax, and the walls of Florence lay in ruins.

Beside him, Laura's eyes widened, revealing a glimmer of confusion mixed with a hint of intrigue. The girl, often silent and seemingly indifferent to the world, couldn't fathom the implications of this unprecedented destruction. It wasn't the gruesome aftermath that held her interest but the sheer scale of the chaos she had just witnessed.

Duke Gifford took a deep breath, his mind racing. Their orders had been clear: to conquer the Florence Kingdom. But no one had foreseen this cataclysmic event. Duke Gifford's instincts, honed by years of military service, pushed him toward caution. It was a sentiment echoed by other officers, who began to communicate in hushed, fearful tones.

The dramatic and sudden turn of events had left them all in a state of disarray, and Duke Gifford realized they needed time to regroup and adapt to this wholly unexpected situation. The Kingdom of Dawn's forces, still standing on the outskirts of the Florence capital, could still hear intermittent explosions emanating from within the city.

As they stood there, thoughts whirled through each of their minds. What had caused this unprecedented catastrophe? Was it a strategic ploy from their enemies or some internal conflict within the Florence Kingdom itself? The officers exchanged anxious glances, wondering what they should do.

Duke Gifford, his brow furrowed with concern, called a conference with his officers as they stood amidst the eerie aftermath of the Florence capital's destruction. The officers gathered around him, their expressions mirroring his mix of curiosity and apprehension.

Gifford wasted no time in addressing the bewildering situation. "What we've witnessed here is beyond anything we could have foreseen. The Florence capital is in ruins, and we cannot ascertain the full extent of the damage."

He looked at the now destroyed walls, they could just waltz into the enemy capital. But it seemed too easy.

"This situation could be a trap," he admitted, his voice laced with caution. "However, the question remains: why would the Florence army willingly destroy their own defenses? It doesn't make sense."

One of his officers, a seasoned tactician, spoke up. "It could be a desperate move, an attempt to force us to underestimate them, to draw us into their midst."

Gifford nodded, acknowledging the possibility. "We should not underestimate them, we must proceed with caution."

Another officer chimed in, "Perhaps there is a more sinister plot at play. We should investigate the cause of the explosions. They may have used some forbidden magic or technology."

Gifford's eyes narrowed in agreement. "That's a valid concern. We must dispatch a team to assess the damage and gather intelligence. I want to know the full extent of this catastrophe and any possible threats lurking within."

One of the officers raised a suggestion, "Perhaps Laura should be the one to investigate. Her abilities make her less vulnerable to potential threats, and she can gather information discreetly."

Duke Gifford considered the idea. "You have a point. Laura's unique abilities could prove invaluable in this situation. She can scout the city, identify potential dangers, and report back without putting the rest of our forces at risk."

The officers nodded in agreement, recognizing the logic in this proposal. It was essential to make the most of Laura's demonic abilities while minimizing risks to the rest of their troops. Duke Gifford turned to one of his officers and said, "Prepare Laura for the mission. She will investigate the cause of the explosions and assess the situation within the Florence capital. In the meantime, the rest of our forces will maintain a defensive position and remain vigilant."

As Duke Gifford and his officers discussed the situation and the plan to send Laura into the ruined Florence capital, the young demon, Laura, remained remarkably indifferent to the devastation around her. She dismounted her horse and sat atop a rock, her gaze steady, and her expression devoid of any visible emotions. The destruction that had befallen the capital city, the echoing sounds of chaos and destruction, seemed to draw no reaction from her.

Her horned head slightly tilted, she watched the officers and Duke Gifford speak, as if detached from the concerns that weighed on them. Her half red, half blue eyes, cold and calculating, scanned the landscape, absorbing the gravity of the situation without a discernible change in her demeanor. Laura was a stark contrast to the human officers who grappled with the tragedy, her inherent demon nature granting her an eerie composure in the face of destruction.

As Laura observed the wreckage and devastation that surrounded her, her awareness of the tragedy's magnitude was undeniable. She could see the destruction, the suffering, and the loss that had befallen the Florence capital. The screams, the grief, and the pain of the victims should have stirred some form of empathy within her, as she was half human.

Yet, there was an unsettling hollowness within her. She felt detached from the human emotions of sorrow and sympathy. The cries of those affected did not resonate with her as they might have in the past. It was as if her connection to her own humanity had grown thin, and she struggled to grasp the profound impact of the tragedy.

She knew something awful had just happened, yet she did not care.

After the meeting between the Duke and his officers ended they addressed the army. Gifford spoke with a tone of authority that resonated through the somber air. "It is clear that we must exercise extreme caution in light of this peculiar situation. Our first order of business is to establish a secure defensive perimeter to protect our forces. We cannot risk being caught in any potential traps."

The officers nodded in agreement, their expressions mirroring the gravity of the situation. Together, they formulated a plan to encircle their camp to ensure the safety of their troops. It was imperative to safeguard against any possible attacks or counter-strategies the Florence Kingdom might employ.

Duke Gifford continued, "We must also maintain strict vigilance within our ranks. This unexpected turn of events raises questions about the Florence Kingdom's intentions. Could this be a calculated move, a trap to lure us into a vulnerable position? We cannot dismiss any possibilities."

The officers deliberated, considering the potential motives behind the destruction of the capital. They recognized that the Florence Kingdom's desperation might lead them to employ unconventional tactics, and they needed to be prepared for any eventuality.

Once the defensive perimeter was established, Duke Gifford instructed the officers to heighten security measures within the camp. The troops would be organized into shifts, ensuring that the watchful eyes of sentinels never wavered. Any unusual activity would be reported immediately to their superiors.

After the defensive perimeter was established Duke Gifford and his officers called upon Laura. "Laura, we are relying on you to do reconnaissance. We need to know what's happening within the Florence capital, and more importantly, whether any traps or hidden dangers await. Your mission is to navigate through the city and provide us with vital information."

Laura, nodded in acknowledgment. She expected them to use her like this since she is the perfect candidate. 

Gifford continued, his voice laced with seriousness. "Be vigilant and cautious at all times. The Florence Kingdom has just demonstrated an unexpected tactic, and we cannot underestimate them. Report back immediately if you come across anything unusual or if you suspect any traps."

The officers provided Laura with maps of the capital and briefed her on key locations and strategic points of interest. She was well-equipped with the knowledge and instructions necessary for her mission.

Once done with the mission briefing Laura rode off on her horse toward the devastated walls of the Florence capital, unaware of what lies beyond. Would it be a trap? Or would it be something else?

2