Chapter 1 (96 AG)
7.9k 10 201
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The royal palace was abuzz with higher than usual activity. Nobles and generals assembled within the great throne room. They prostrated themselves on the glossy black floor, awaiting the presence of their Fire Lord. The roar of flames announced his arrival, as a curtain of fire arose to obscure the throne and its raised platform.

All eyes were kept down, though keen ears picked up the soft swish of royal robes as the Fire Lord finally sat down.

“The Fire Lord now presides over this court,” announced some unseen voice.

“Arise,” came the curt voice of Fire Lord Ozai.

The command was obeyed instantly, and the hundreds of the Fire Nation’s courtiers snapped up to their feet in a mix of robes and hard armor. The royal court was in session, and the latest changes to the Fire Nation were discussed.

Nobles reported on the growth of colonies, and humbly boasted about their contributions in taxes. Generals updated the court on the latest shifts to the many warfronts, as well as crowing on particular victories over their enemies.

It would be just another day in court, if not for the last item on the agenda.

“The court calls for the presence of Xing.”

There was a sharp clatter of armor as someone arose and marched with stiff precision. A soft murmur rose up as the courtiers noted a small figure in oversized armor dropping to one knee before the flame-obscured throne. Their arms snapped up in a supplicant’s salute, palm over fist.

“Conscript Xing of the 11th Regiment kneels before the Fire Lord.” The voice was from a young boy, sharpened and hardened through military discipline and frequent combat. More murmuring followed at the oddity. Even the princess had surprise flash across her face for the briefest of moments before frowning heavily at the kneeling soldier.

It seemed that the rumors about the Defiant 11th were true then.

Fire Lord Ozai’s voice betrayed none of the reactions of his court. There was no bafflement or doubt as he spoke. No one would be stupid enough to dare risk the wrath of the Fire Lord with an ill-thought out prank like this.

“Conscript Xing, your name has reached the throne filled with much praise by the officers of the 11th Regiment.”

“I am flattered that they regard me so, your majesty,” came the sharp, almost curt reply, Xing’s head never rising. The older, more experienced courtiers could pick the tinge of sourness in the boy’s words. This child soldier was reluctant to be here.

“Indeed.” The silhouette behind the curtain of fire shifted as the Fire Lord leaned forward a fraction. “Tell me, how fares the 11th?”

There was a second’s pause before Xing answered. “We are heavily depleted, lord, but the soldiers remaining stand ready to enact your orders.”

Only the densest among the assembly failed to notice the use of ‘we’.

“Is that so... How much then was the report on the late General Shiluo’s failure…downplayed?”

The murmurs faded to a strangled silence as all ears awaited the reply. Despite official reports, it didn’t take a great sage to decipher just how much of a disaster the Battle of Tai Plains had been. The bumbling of the 11th’s new general almost cost the lives of multiple army groups, if not for the 11th Regiment redeeming its honor with a valiant rearguard action.

Xing audibly sighed. “General Shiluo had been most…adamant about his tactics, ignoring the advice of Captains Kai and Mozi, and even Colonels Dao and Koda.” After receiving tense silence for a few seconds, he continued. “Scout reports that the Earth Kingdom had been sighted on the battlefield the night before the battle were ignored. News of the Earth Kingdom line being reorganized was similarly discounted. Colonel Shiluo insisted that the 11th Regiment’s reputation for tenacity would carry it to victory regardless of what the enemy had planned. He personally led the charge against the Earth Kingdom’s waiting host.”

Soft gasps filled the throne room at the description of such incompetence. The generals in particular frowned heavily with disapproval.

The bitterness was thick in the boy’s voice, but it did not waver at all. “The battle was lost as soon as the charge was ordered. General Shiluo and his personal guard were the first to fall into the spiked pit traps. If not for Colonel Dao’s and Colonel Yashen’s quick thinking, the 11th Regiment would have been eradicated as the earthbenders attempted to bury us alive, while the other forces involved would have suffered far heavier losses.”

“Colonel Dao,” the Fire Lord summoned sternly, and the graying warrior who led the venerable 4th Regiment knelt beside Xing before the wall of fire. For his part, the boy seemed to stiffen a bit at the colonel’s presence. “Your reports mentioned that it was…Conscript Xing that salvaged the defeat?”

The colonel gave a curt nod while staring at the space just below the flames. “Yes, Fire Lord. Myself and the other colonels saw with our own eyes as Xing marshaled the remnants of the 11th to keep the center from breaking. If not for that, the retreat would have been a bloody rout. When we assisted their breakout, the survivors of the 11th were all covered in blood and wounds, Conscript Xing being no exception.”

Heavy silence returned once more, though trepidation was mixed with incredulity.

“It seems you have downplayed your own achievements, Conscript Xing.”

The boy managed to lower his head further. “Colonel Dao flatters my accomplishments, Fire Lord. I merely looked out for my comrades selfishly.”

“Is that so?” Ozai wondered aloud, causing many experienced courtiers to flinch. “Colonel Dao. What is your assessment of this conscript thus far?”

The reply came without hesitation, full of conviction. “The tales of the Young Dragon holds notable grains of truth, your majesty. Even if he seeks to hide it out of humbleness, it is clear that Xing is regarded highly by the 11th. The officers have admitted that up until General Shiluo’s arrival, it is Xing’s…advice that the captains follow, and it is with such advice that has, until Tai Plains, earned the 11th much merit even after the loss of Colonel Lidai.”

This time the ambient mutterings became a buzzing din that echoed throughout the throne room. A gaggle of commanders exchanged heated words, while some nobles debated the veracity of such a bold claim.

“The men exaggerate, your majesty. I only-”

“Silence.”

The Fire Lord’s command cut through the noise, and silence reigned again.

“Conscript Xing,” Ozai slowly enunciated the boy’s name and paltry title carefully. “Were it any other case, the unlawful assumption of command of any Fire Nation force is a crime punishable by death. However.”

“Colonel Koda, Colonel Sho.” The named generals marched out to form a line with Xing and Colonel Dao. “Let me ask, for the record to be clear, do you stand by your claims of the vaunted…Young Dragon of the 11th?”

“Yes, Fire Lord,” they answered in unison and without hesitation, ignoring the not-too-subtle sideways glare from the boy. Some courtiers could have sworn they saw the older colonels smile a bit.

“Throughout the brief cooperation between our armies, it was clear that the conscript had been the true strategist behind the 11th’s brilliant victories,” Colonel Sho stated. “I have personally witnessed his valor in combat as well, and the tales of the Young Dragon’s fearsomeness is well earned. So much so that the Earth Kingdom clearly focused their full might on destroying the 11th Regiment on Tai Plains to be rid of him.”

“Colonel Yashen and his officers all have confirmed without discrepancies that they had witnessed Conscript Xing slay several Earth Kingdom champions before they retrieved him, even though he himself had sustained grievous wounds.” Colonel Koda added. “It can be safe to say that other rumors of his competence holds true as well.”

The soft roars from the curtain of fire filled the ears of all who attended as utter silence reigned for several minutes. “Hm. Conscript Xing.” Ozai finally addressed Xing once more in a deeper, more formal tone, while the shadow behind the flames rose from the throne. The generals and nobles immediately bowed deeply in deference.

“The Fire Nation has judged your usurpation of one of its forces to be a grave crime that is long overdue to be rectified.” Dread anticipation filled in the air, the generals in particular tensed as they awaited their Fire Lord’s verdict. “Yet, if even half of a half of what has been claimed about you is true, it would be a larger crime to the Fire Nation to discard such a talented and loyal warrior. Especially if such talent compensates for the…lacking in some of our appointed generals.”

A shadow of an arm swept out declaratively from behind the wall of flames. “Henceforth, effective immediately, you are elevated to the rank of colonel of the 11th Regiment, as befitting your long overlooked merits. Arise, Colonel Xing, and continue to lead the 11th Regiment to victory and glory for the Fire Nation.”

Relief and some annoyance flooded the great hall, though few noticed how the newly promoted general remained utterly still. “Your majesty is most generous,” Xing replied, bowing his head before finally rising from his kneeling position. “I will strive to earn the trust bestowed upon me.”

*****

“Congratulations, brat,” Colonel Dao said after the royal court had adjourned and they were outside the throne room. The burly, aging man slapped Xing across the shoulder, almost knocking the boy over. “I told you the Fire Lord rewards good work.”

The new colonel readjusted his pauldron and sighed. “With all due respect, Colonel Dao, but may a pod of flying fishopotamus drown you in their shit.” The older commander cackled heartily at the curse, causing some eavesdropping nobles to shake their heads with disapproval.

“Come now, is that how a colonel should speak?” Colonel Koda said, joining the two along with Colonel Sho.

“Aren’t all of you supposed to be at the frontlines still?”

“And miss regaling everyone about your tales? Dao is right, lad. You’ve earned this. Be proud. I’m sure Lidai would’ve been beaming with pride if he were here.”

At the mention of the respected colonel that took him in, Xing’s annoyance melted into somberness. “It is a shame that it took tragedy upon tragedy for this…” he gestured downwards with his hands, “...to occur.”

Colonel Sho patted the boy on the back, much more softly than Dao did. “Now, now. None of that. Lidai wouldn’t want you to wallow like this. We all grieve for his loss, but Lidai’s memory should be honored, especially his aspirations for you. I’m sure the old man’s proud of you.”

There were nods all around, and Dao gave Xing another hearty thwack on the shoulder. “Come, brat. Let us uncles guide you through the paperwork. Then, once you’re done, we’ll-”

“No.” Sho cut him off with a glare. “Xing’s still too young to drink.”

“But-”

“Or visit those…women.”

“Bah, killjoy.”

The three older colonels formed a protective triangle around their new, much younger colleague, keeping Xing protected from sniveling nobles and other court sycophants as they headed towards the Fire Army’s headquarters to officially register Xing’s new rank and secure all the perks that came with it. They would regale about the boy’s feats later. After all, they first needed to reaffirm their story about Shiluo’s demise.

Watching the quartet from a distance, Fire Princess Azula stared hard at the back of the boy barely older than her. She recalled the exploits attributed to the Young Dragon and found it both hard and easy to match it to his face. Hard, because…well, how is a mere boy capable of challenging and defeating three Earth Kingdom generals (at the same time!), or surviving impalement from multiple spears and stones suffered during the rearguard defense from the defeat at Tai Plains? How was a boy supposed to be the great mastermind that led a depleted army to victory upon impossible victory?

But on the other hand, the princess saw the way he carried himself, as well as the iron resolve in his eyes. Determined eyes which fit someone who could lead five hundred soldiers against three thousand and win so decisively that the casualties they took were only seriously wounded at the worst. 

Young Dragon indeed. This Xing might be interesting enough to warrant some investigation.

 


Author's notes: So here's a new idea I'm working on. Though considering the hiccups I'm having writing this I'm not sure I can sustain the same posting pace as I did before. I'm going to see how far I can get away with not having a first person POV here.

Hope you guys enjoy this, and as usual feedback is highly welcomed.

201