Intermezzo 3 | Rafyne
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Intermezzo 3 | Rafyne

Member of The Fast and the Foodious Delivery Squad, Rafyne

Yggdrasil Time [00:27] 

Boundary

(Thank you for sponsoring the news update of the Expedition Tailgate Shinyshingshing. Welcome back to News Channel 707 at 00 hours, where we bring you the latest news updates within the Tailgate expedition. I am your host, Shinto, and joining me at this late, lonely hour is Lady Venmier.)

The giant figure moved through the Boundary, each step creating a massive splash on the endless waters. His appearance, usually a dull greenish-blue, had transformed into a glowing sky blue. Four tentacle-like mustaches glowed on his outstretched face, casting an eerie light on his surroundings. The voices inside his mind echoed with each movement.

(I’m doing extremely well, almost too well, Shinto. It’s quite funny, I never imagined we’d collaborate on a news channel of all things.) Venmier chuckled in response.

(That’s true. Out of all possible collaborations, we end up doing this. For those watching and listening who may not be familiar with us, I am Shinto from the Spiceman, and Venmier is a member of the Flying Lizard Clan.)

(Putting that aside, we have a lot of new updates compared to the previous sessions.) Venmier’s tone hummed with excitement.

Alone in the endless void, Rafyne remained unfazed by the two voices in his head. When he shifted his gaze to his right, he saw the two holographic windows floating in the corner of his sight. Focusing on them, they enlarged in size, revealing a news channel 707 stream in one window and a map in the other.

The streaming window displayed two figures standing behind a large desk, with two steaming cups. An Athari man, Shinto, clad in a leather vest and rolled-up white sleeves, stood tall next to an Athari woman. Venmier, in a standard imperial uniform of dark navy color, looked incredibly small and thin when compared.

Inside Rafyne’s mind, he commanded his Augment, ‘How many steps I have taken since the last rendezvous? And how much time has passed in the game?’ Instantly, information flowed into his mind: [You have walked 3321 steps, approximately 3,200 meters. The Yggdrasil Time is currently 00:27.]

Using his three large fingers, Rafyne touched the window that displayed an image of a map. He then dragged a red pin icon from another spot to what seemed to be his current location and thought, ‘Just a few more, and I should arrive at the temporary supply base of Kusoge soon. If I can get there before the Divine Convoy arrives, I might be able to join them.’

With two fingers, he expanded the map by zooming out. He looked at the Promus base, which was situated about 80 kilometers to the west of his location, while the temporary base was less than a half kilometer away from him in the northeast.

After pressing one of the buttons on the UI, he saw a red line extending from the Promus base to the Temporary Kusoge and several minor base camps, before finally halting at the Labyrinth. A yellow pin icon moved along the line, steadily progressing over the 177-kilometer span, drawing closer to the temporary base.

Nodding his head, he hastened his steps, refocusing on the news podcast besides the map window.

(Here’s the first news,) Shinto announced, revealing a small egg-shaped object in his palm. An enlarged static image appeared between the two figures as he spoke. (Rafyne, a Seeker from the Food Delivery Teams, has discovered the first evolution item.)

‘Finally, finally, finally!’ 

Rafyne couldn’t contain his excitement as his four tentacle-like mustaches quivered with anticipation. ‘They’re finally revealing the first evolution item! I never thought I would be the first one to discover it. That’s so fucking dope.’

“Kekeke,” Rafyne cackled, his mouth widened.

As Rafyne continued to keep several eyes on his surroundings while walking, Shinto revealed an egg in his hands. The egg was dyed in a dark shell with repeating dark red stripes.

Shinto continued, (We asked Rafyne what he would like to call this new race and the egg. He said, ‘I would like to name the race “Catfish” and the egg “Roe”’. It seems like a rather standard name, but I understand why he chose ‘catfish’. The appearance of this race closely resembles features we see on catfish.)

(That is for sure, I actually managed to get the DNA from one of the Seekers who had the Catfish race in their body.) Venmier added.

Shinto suggested, (Oh, that’s  wonderful. Can you transform into one of them? We have pictures, yes, but I think it would be better to show how they would like on live.)

(Of course, of course.) Venmier happily agreed. (I have quite a lot of A-cells in my body right now. I remember using up seven and a half liters of A-cells to transform into them. Just give me a few moments.)

Venmier closed her eyes, appearing to concentrate on a transformation. In a matter of seconds, her once pale skin began to take on a bluish-green color, while her long, dark hair fell lifeless. The transformation continued as an additional pair of hands sprouted from her torso, while her original fingers reduced to three.

With each passing moment, she expanded, tripling her previous humanoid appearance, and surpassed Shinto in both height and width. Strangely, her clothes effortlessly adjusted to fit her new size, as if by magic.

As Venmier continued her transformation, Shinto elaborated, (Once again, we’ve discussed in my group’s podcast why we can’t use the abilities of other races, even after transforming into them. It’s likely due to the standard mechanics employed by the FLD developers in their previous titles, which means our transformation isn’t recognized unless it’s achieved through methods other than using our augments and A-cells.)

Shinto paused for a moment, turning to Venmier and said, (Venmier’s transformation doesn’t involve using the evolution item, she’s only using A-cells. As such, her racial abilities remain unchanged, and she still possesses the abilities of an Athari. To acquire the abilities of the Catfish race, you need to consume this egg and evolve properly.)

Coincidentally, she completed her transformation after Shinto’s words. Her appearance had entirely changed to resemble that of Rafyne’s.

(What the fuck? That race is very big. Way bigger than I imagined. So how do you feel?) Shinto asked, his gaze scanning Venmier’s appearance.

Venmier clenched her fist and shifted her body several times before responding with a low-bassy voice, (It’s uncomfortable, heavy, and unresponsive. It’s probably just me because I have low compatibility scores across big races, and there are so many new awkward things to get used to. Oh? Look at my tongue, dude.)

Venmier opened her mouth to reveal rows of jagged teeth lining the inside. Her large tongue emerged, stretching to a nearly the size of her face, wrapping around her neck in a serpentine fashion.

(Ishinshane onsh show bisg iz dish dud.) Incomprehensible words escaped from Venmier’s mouth, sounding like a jumble of disjointed syllables.

Shinto giggled, his mouth cringing in response. (The fuck are you doing? Stop that! We’re currently live, right now,) he exclaimed. (Oh, and by the way, do you think you can grow sharp teeth on your tongue or create a sharp bone inside and coat it in poison? That would be lethal if you could use the tongue for whip-like attacks.)

Venmier retracted her tongue, contemplating, (It’s possible, but I’d need to build a tolerance to poison and master tongue techniques before using them in battle. I think transforming the tongue into a snake-like one would make it easier for practical use. However, I still prefer Athari forms; they’re the most comfortable form-types for me. If I really want to use the Catfish abilities, I can always evolve into them and then transform back to Athari.)

Rafyne listened and then absentmindedly fiddled with his own tongue, letting it slide out from his mouth as he inspected it. ‘Poison tongue, huh?’

Shinto nodded in agreement with Venmier, (I see. I agree, not everyone may feel comfortable using their forms, but only their abilities. Dang, thinking about its abilities makes me want to talk more about catfish. However, with the amount of news we have to share, we unfortunately have to skip it.)

Venmier added, (If you’re interested in learning more about the Catfish race, you can find detailed information in our updated index.)

Continuing forth, Rafyne thought, ‘That’s too bad, but I don’t really need to worry since this is a race that can enter the Boundary.’

Shinto announced, (The Crusader Army, under the command of the Divine, is now open for recruitment. To join, submit your application letters to Lance, one of the administrative Moonfollowers. You can find his contact details in his profile. If you wish to transfer, speak to your commanding officer. Please note that there are only 110 thousands seats available, and this opportunity is exclusive to Seekers who can enter the Boundary.)

On the livestream, Rafyne saw an image: a recruitment poster featuring silver-armored knights, their fingers pointing out with bold letters stating, [I want you to join the holy grounds.]

‘Crusader army?’ Rafyne repeated inside his head, ‘That sounds badass. I might join.’

Suddenly, something in the distance moved, which drew his attention to it. He halted his steps and noticed the water’s advancing waves. Looking around, he saw only the endless horizons of the Boundary. Rafyne reached for the sack of holding at his waist with one hand and used the other to untie the knot. Without taking his eyes from his surroundings, he retrieved a large broadsword - resembling a chopping knife with chains attached to the handle and wrapped the chains around one of his hands. He felt nervous and tense, but he remained calm in his mind. 

Rafyne’s heart raced as he thought, ‘With how sights work in the Boundary, my sighting is limited to nine meters. Outside that, outside of my presence zone, I won’t be able to see it. Is it a monster, or a fellow Seeker?’

As one of his eyes glanced at his map, Rafyne toggled the Boundary mapping using his augment and spotted several notes overlaid on the map. Yet, none of them seemed important, nor did any mention a Seeker planning to cross his path.

Another wave materialized in the distance, seemingly rendered into existence by his own vision. It approached him soundlessly, sending an eerie shiver down his spine. He pondered, ‘Should I retreat to the Medium? But the location of the Eingrie monster remains unknown.’

Just as Rafyne was about to make a decision, something entered his sight. It appeared as an initially unrecognizable black, pointed object, but as it became clearer, it revealed itself as the front part of a ship, albeit in a miniature. Suddenly, Rafyne felt his body go numb.

A sense of dread and panic overwhelmed him as he desperately tried to escape to the Medium using his Augment, but it failed. He tried moving his body, but something unknown gripped his control over his body.

‘Augment, move my body!’ Rafyne’s frantic thoughts screamed. ‘What do you mean my body does not exist? Video, take a video!’

As Rafyne’s mind was engulfed in turmoil, the small boat drew closer, revealing an unknown figure rowing it. Draped in a heavy black coat, the eyes glowed like candles within the hood. Rafyne noticed their pale, dry hands and frail body, shrouded in darkness.

‘I’m so dead!’ He thought.

Suddenly, voices echoed around Rafyne, his skin crawled, shivering at the unfamiliar language: ‘What is this language? I have never heard this before!’  

Dazed and terrified, Rafyne watched the unknown being ceased speaking before stating, “That was my oversight, a people from the other side.”

Upon hearing this, a look of shock spread across his face, leaving him increasingly confused. He exclaimed, ‘!?’

Despite this bewildered reaction from Rafyne, the unknown being persisted. “I am now speaking the Sathirtian Language, you are most familiar with it, no? Do you understand?”

However, Rafyne was unable to give his reply. He stayed silent, his mouth opening and closing repeatedly as he struggled to find the right words amidst his panic.

“No response?” The unknown being expressed his dissatisfaction, its voice filled with displeasure, before dismissively turning its hood. “Here, I was anticipating an intellectual conversation, especially with someone from the other side. Nay, I shall carry on. I hope you have a wonderful time being alive, people from the other side.”

The unknown being continued rowing its paddle, navigating the boat as it passed by Rafyne’s enormous figure. However, before departing Rafyne’s presence, the being issued a warning, “Do not proceed further that path. Return to the reality of the living or face the demise of your vessel.”

After the unknown being silently departed from Rafyne’s presence, the overwhelming sensations that had controlled his body subsided, allowing him to regain control. His previously numb limbs now trembled uncontrollably as he cautiously scanned the area to ensure the unknown being was no longer nearby.

Relief washed over him as he confirmed that it was gone. His thoughts raced, ‘What the fuck was that thing? In the mother of goddamn holy stars, what? That was so sickening. I have never heard of that monster before. Is it a new discovery?’

He collapsed to his knees, dropping the sword. Taking a deep breath, he thought to himself, ‘Should I chase after it? But it’s not my role to find out what that thing is. It’s better to report this finding to the Moonfollowers.’

He stopped his video recording and opened one of his interfaces to file a report. However, before he could proceed, another wave rendered into his vision. The unknown beings’ warning echoed in his mind, ‘Return to the reality of the living, or face the demise of your vessel.’

In addition to the initial cryptic words spoken in an unfamiliar language, the unknown being surprised him by speaking in the national language of the Aetherian Empire, his mother tongue. As he pondered the mysteries, another wave approached him, disrupting his thoughts.

He refocused his attention, making a mental note to file a report once he found a safer location. 

As the waves crashed into his body, he couldn’t help but voice his thoughts, “Is there danger ahead of me?”

The unknown being was a stranger to Rafyne, but he hadn’t posed any harm. However, Rafyne had no information about this individual. It was the first time he had encountered such a thing.

Suddenly, a familiar notification flashed in the corner of his eye, taking Rafyne’s attention as he focused on it. As he did, the notification opened a holographic window containing his current location with words on post, (Updated information: Only the Seekers with the tags of @delivery_teams_west, @HimeroseFujiarmy, and …etc. can access the information. Please quickly check and be updated. Stay safe Seekers.)

As Rafyne looked at the original poster, he noticed a familiar name, Vivy, who had a tag displayed besides her name indicating her affiliation with the [@Moonfollowers]

Upon Rafyne recognized the name, his initial mistrust waned, and he hastily opened the link. He remained vigilant, scanning his surroundings with several sets of eyes, while the waves of water continued to crash repeatedly into his feet. The link opened to his map, displaying his current location with a giant red note at the corner of the holographic window.

[-Several Forsinses blobs, which previously attacked the multiple battalions at the base of the Mysia Mountain and recently targeted the Promus base have disappeared into this designated location point. Caution is advised. Enter the Medium if necessary.-]

After reading the information, Rafyne was instantly convinced and decided to return to the Medium by commanding his augment. Before doing so, he picked up the fallen sword, securing the chains around his hands and tightening his grip as if psyching himself up.

As Rafyne crossed the Boundary into the Medium, an indescribable, distorting sound filled his ears. The booming echoes were familiar to him as the dampness of the transformed into a fresh, forest-scent air.

His vision suddenly flipped upside down, pulsating and distorting, Rafyne momentarily saw the back of his own head. The membrane that had been bothering him vanished, and before he knew it, he found himself in the Medium.

He felt sick experiencing such but held back the urge to vomit, ‘I keep forgetting to close my eyes. Augment, please.’

Immediately after, Rafyne quickly surveyed his surroundings,  his stance poised with a sword chained on his hand. He realized he was standing in the middle of a dense forest with a solid, grassy underfoot. The moonlight filtered through the thick canopy, creating a peaceful midnight atmosphere.

Once certain it was safe, he examined his own body and was relieved to find it had returned to its usual appearance.

A wave of relief swept over him as he realized he hadn’t been immediately attacked upon exiting the Medium. However, that relief was short-lived as a high-pitched scream tore through the air, prompting him to swiftly turn toward the source of the sound. There, a blinding light flashed beyond the heavy trees, dying out moments after.

Filled with curiosity, he quickened his pace, hurrying towards the source of the sound as he closed the holographic window behind him. Emerging from the dense trees, he found himself standing at the edge of the cliff, overlooking the vast horizon, his eyes widening in awe.

As he set his sights on the familiar temporary Kusoge base, he was taken aback to find it blanketed in snow and under attack. A horde of large snowmen, towering higher than trees, were slowly advancing from the distant horizons, relentlessly hurling chunks of ice at the base.

“The… Kusoge… Is being attacked!?” 

1