Chapter 236 – End of an Era (End of the Story)
1k 44 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following days were everything but normal. The sky over Meriath was constantly clearing up, its natural colors returning and the sun coming and going as it used to for countless years. Even the Realm Gate disappeared from view after Ren was joined by her husband, Leinor, who politely greeted the rest. The two Immortals remained with Lia, following her along and acting like respectful guests. Still, everyone could tell they were examining them all, including Meriath itself.

"How interesting!" Ren chuckled, standing in Lia's office facing Reyra, who was half a head shorter than her. 

"Tsk, you yourself ain't that tall! Nor have any boobs!"

"I have more than you." She retorted at once, but Reyra wasn't perturbed at all.

"My daughter has bigger ones!"

"And? We aren't comparing our daughters!"

Lia wanted to interrupt them, looking at her lovers, but neither Rinzen nor Lucian had anything to say. They all knew that their guests were powerful, and neither of them knew how to act. Worst, Reyra wasn't holding back her tongue.

"I already had four kids pushed out of me! What about you?" She shot at Ren, puffing out her chest, hands on her hips, knowing she struck gold the moment Ren's body flinched.

"One..." She answered truthfully, getting vexed, twitching her right eye. 

"Hah! Your tummy is weak!"

"Kids aren't made in the tummy, or I would have so many kids I couldn't count them!" Ren scoffed, crossing her hands and pursing her lips. 

"Duh! Of course not! Are you stupid or something?" Reyra countered again before leaving with a burst of laughter, suddenly having the urge to visit her husband.

"Um... Lady Ren," Lia finally spoke up, finding her voice, but she just raised a hand.

"Ren. That alone will do when we are in private! LeiLei?"

"She is fine." He smiled, speaking not really to his wife but to Lia. "Her soul is stable and in control. You see, I am something of a soul cultivator." He explained briefly to the group, "I fought against the one you called Lumamon and gave him a beating once, for reference. Your mother was fused with another soul, yes? But don't worry, she came out on top!"

"Is there a chance that..." Lia wanted to ask but trailed off, unable to express her thoughts adequately.

"Yes. But if you want my honest opinion, it won't happen." Leinor continued confidently, "The second consciousness within her is in total chaos and is being chipped away without Reyra having to do anything. I see no chance for that soul to gain control over someone like her. Not even if she goes unconscious!"

"Thank the Cosmos!" Lia sighed while Rinzen and Lucian put their hands on her shoulder, gently squeezing it. "There is another thing! Somia!"

"Hm?" Ren and Leinor asked, looking at each other first before Lia explained her situation. "If she was in that thing," Ren hummed, scratching her chin, "She is still alive. My daughter has a whole other world within her stomach, so they are not dead but sealed away, imprisoned!"

"Can you... help us? She is the lover of my ancestor, and she is a friend of mine!" It was no time to show restraint, so Lia stood up, asking them officially, cupping her hands and bowing towards them.

"Ahaha! Of course!" Leinor laughed, shaking his head, "Don't worry, I will make sure she has a body to inhabit and return to you in one piece!"

"Thank you!" Lia repeated, maintaining her bow a little before relaxing and letting out a very long sigh. 

"We will have to work together in the future, so I think it is best to have a friendly start!" Ren added, watching them.

"What do you mean?" Asked Lucian while Rinzen began preparing tea as everyone sat down. 

"Let me start at the beginning! Something that I once did with one who was named Hajna!"

"It wasn't the real one." Hajna's indignant voice from Lia's bracelet appeared as she materialized beside Lia, surprising Ren and Leinor.

"She isn't a soul." Leinor whispered, making Ren also nod.

"How interesting... how unique... we have never seen something like this!"

Now it was Lia's time to be surprised and feel proud of her home, quickly explaining everything. Neither Ren nor Leinor interrupted her, letting their side retell the history from their perspective.

"I can't tell if the copy of Hajna is lying or not, but the others are telling the truth." Leinor sent over a voice transmission, making Ren nod. 

"I trust them. I like the girl and her mother." She answered her husband before speaking out loudly, cupping her hands towards Hajna, "Then, we were played. I know it is late to say sorry, especially after knowing what happened... but war is war."

"I know. Those who were responsible for it paid the price." Hajna answered calmly, "We failed, but with me, my people's memory is at least resurrected and won't be lost to the annals of history. I am just happy to be able to clear my people's name before you."

"I see... I will remember it." Ren smiled, watching her, reaching for one of the teacups. "Let me continue... My name is Ren or, as many now call me, The Thunder Immortal. He is my husband, Leinor, and his title is The Abyss Immortal."

"Creepy..." Lucian whispered subconsciously, receiving a kick from Lia under the table, making him flinch.

"Titles are not chosen but earned!" Leinor sighed, knowing full well it was indeed an ominous-sounding one.

"But it does ring cool..." Rinzen added even fainter than Lucian, making Ren laugh and flash a thumbs up at her. 

"Isn't it? In time, if you travel the Cosmos and interact with others, you will gain your own titles! Especially because, on the outside, your Realm is now within our borders. You have two routes you can take from this moment on!"

"Wait!" Lucian interjected for real this time, turning towards Lia, "We should call up the others, too. This is-"

"No." Ren interrupted him. "I don't care about the others. You can discuss it after we have left! Right now, I am trusting her. Only her." She pointed at Lia, continuously looking into her eyes. "Even her mother realized it, that is why she left without saying anything! She will be your ambassador for the moment. Don't be confused; your home is still under quarantine. We are guarding your borders! So I won't accept alternatives!"

"Please..." Lia nodded, looking at Lucian and calming him down. "Continue."

"One route is simple." Ren explained calmly after everyone sat back, "You get your independence, do what you want, and we won't interfere. Not how you go forward, where you explore, etc. But we also won't step in if you kick a hornet's nest!"

"Simple." Lia agreed, seeing the logic in it. Also, realizing this would mean that if any of their previously conquered Realms came for revenge, they would be hard-pressed to defend themselves. "And the other?"

"Join our Alliance!" Leinor said with a smile, letting his wife go into the details.

"By joining our Alliance, all partner realms enjoy the benefits of trading and collective security. We are not interfering with your inner politics and workings, but we are allies on the outside, in the clouds of the Cosmos! Wars are forbidden between members, and any dispute is settled either on battlegrounds overseen by the Council members or, if it can be solved with talks, by a hearing before us. Every Alliance member has a duty to uphold, and when somebody asks for help, we share the burden!"

"Are you a member of it? This Council?" Rinzen asked while refilling their empty cups.

"No. My Sect Master is." Ren answered honestly, taking her refilled cup to her lips and letting her husband continue. 

"Their members are selected by the Realms, and they send their representatives to the Council. They are usually top cultivators of their own worlds. The Cosmos is dangerous but wonderful." Leinor explained slowly, "When we began exploring and expanding, we quickly realized that there were many undeveloped realms around us—places where intelligent life is still absent. Then, we came across the first parts of the Cosmos, where might was the only law—filled with savages who only knew how to take away and had no concept of sharing."

"What happened to them?" The trio asked simultaneously, making Ren grin, whereas Leinor answered casually.

"Dead. We killed them all."

"Ouch..."

"That is when we came across those who were suppressed. They wanted us to protect them," Leinor continued, "so we established our Alliance. Our main goal is to create a region where we can all prosper. When conflict arises, we collectively deal with it. If you join our Alliance, you must follow its rules."

"Which are not too strict!" Ren smiled, watching the trio's changing expressions. "As we mentioned, wars between allied members are forbidden. Regular offenders will be quarantined and eliminated if there is no change in their perspective. We encourage cooperation between Realms and knowledge sharing, but it isn't mandated! No other party can force anyone to reveal their techniques!"

"How many are in your Alliance right now?" Lia asked, getting more and more curious about life in the Cosmos.

"Right now, twenty-four worlds are part of our Alliance. Before liberating them, all the realms under your previous rule are also included in it. They are still rebuilding, so we keep watch over them and prevent others from going down and causing trouble! The Council itself is different. It is made up of those Realms that reached a certain threshold. To become a decision maker, your side must produce and maintain a minimum of 50 individuals who can freely enter and travel the Cosmos without any outside help!"

"I am still not at the 9th Tier..." Lia murmured, and although Ren was unaware of the levels within Meriath, her eyes were flashing with eagerness, liking what she was hearing. This meant she was even more unique than she first thought.

"Would this mean," Lucian asked, "that we wouldn't be accepted immediately? We only have a few people at the 9th Tier, which is our Realm's top position."

"No, of course not!" Ren replied, shaking her head, "Anybody can join the Alliance and be part of it. We provide security and opportunities. But to become someone who can decide what route the Alliance takes, where or how it interferes, you must have ample force to back it up! So until your Realm can produce 50 such people that can be called upon when necessary, you are not going to have a seat in the Council!"

"How many... um.... adequate mages do you have? Your Realm specifically!" Rinzen asked, feeling herself curious.

"Close to two hundred right now. We only let people out from our Realm independently when they gained the title of Immortal! Nobody else has the strength to leave without help; that is how our Gate has been set up." Turning towards Lia at the end, she explained, "We lost a handful of them in the war, so when you join up, expect some hostility. Of course, if we say you are part of the Alliance, nobody will lay a hand on you, but... you won't be welcomed as friends right from the get-go."

"Um, I understand. So, if we join, we won't have to take up responsibilities at first, but we would be let grow in strength?"

"Something like that, yes. It will be up to you to interact with the others, so buckle up! Your reputation is in the gutter right now."

"It isn't like we will travel the outside world right after." Lia added with a shrug, as there were still many problems within the Realm itself, "But yeah... I think we will join."

"Talk it through!" Ren chuckled, standing up, looking at the trio, "We have time, and I will stay here a little. I always loved exploring new places!"

...

....

......

In the following months, the leaders of Meriath met multiple times, and their main question was not about joining or not but who to send forward as an ambassador. Many wanted to nominate Reyra or Lakhmu, but both of them refused. The former said she would stay home and make more children, while the latter wanted nothing more than to finally relax and give up leading his House. When the talks turned to Lia or Lucian, they vehemently campaigned against it.

"I am interested in it, but not right now!" Lia said, refusing the position immediately, "For now, I want to stay and continue leading the Academy! I myself need to learn a lot; I am not ready yet!"

It seemed to be a stalemate until, in one of the meetings, Erias appeared, accompanied by Somia, who had returned only a few days ago with Leinor escorting her. Amongst the others, Somia was the most surprised as she thought she would disappear forever; instead, she was woken up in a remade body, floating outside in the Cosmos. When Erias first mentioned he was interested in traveling, she only nodded, confirming his decision.

"We will do it." Erias stated simply, looking at the others. "Somia and Arcus will come with me. First, we will visit the Immortals' home and try to connect with the other forces. Let's see how bad it is!"

"Probably, very bad." Somia added, but she didn't look bothered by it.

"Didn't you say you won't do anything anymore?" Lia chuckled, but Erias simply winked at her.

"If I'm away, none of you can drag me into any responsibilities! Heck, I can finally go and see the world! Let me see what was so extra about this Cosmos that these idiots decided to almost doom us all!"

Ultimately, they left without any fanfare, most people not even knowing what was happening beyond their finally once again clear skies.

...

....

......

"Don't screw this up, you hear?"

"Moooom... I will be fine! You will see!"

"Well, you are more like your father, so I will hold you to your words, young man!"

The one who was fussing around was none other than Koadriana as she was sending off her firstborn son to the Academy. Like any others, Merin also had to participate in the selection process. Luckily, he aced it with flying colors, accepted without questions, and it was time to leave home and start his new life within the Academy.

"He will be fine!" Keily laughed, hugging his fiery teenage son, who already looked like him.

"Daaaad!" He squirmed but still hugged back, looking shy as many of his younger siblings watched them, giggling.

"He will do fine!" Laughed Raufon, who arrived yesterday, here to pick him up and bring him to the Academy where he was now the head of the Wing of Earth.

"Yep!" Merin agreed, rushing next to Raufon before he was once again pulled into hugs and kisses. "And by the time others join, I will have a name for myself and keep an eye on the others, Mom! Promise!"

"The others, huh?" Koa and Keily asked, looking around as all the rest of their kids quickly scampered, not wanting to be part of a lesson; why aren't they training hard enough.

...

....

......

In the Academy, Lia was sitting on the bottom floor of her tower, sitting at their dinner table. Her hair was ruffled as if electricity shocked her just a moment ago. Only her red eye was open, even that barely counted as she drooled onto the table, wearing nothing but a shirt.

"You look like shit." Lucian laughed, bringing over breakfast and placing it before her while Rinzen poured tea into her mug.

"The new semester is starting tomorrow..." Lia groaned, letting her girlfriend begin feeding her by hand. 

"You left administration to the last minute." She scolded her playfully, and Lia had no excuses this time. 

"Uuu... I know..."

"Good morning!" A surprisingly happy shout arrived as their door was kicked open, and a petite little girl stood there in a pink dress, her legs like a dragon's claws. She was not alone, followed by none other than Stumpy who many times served as her loyal steed, letting Lidia ride on the top of his head.

"Lidia!" Shouted Celine, who rushed after her miniature copy, looking apologetic, "Sorry! Geez! I told you to knock first!"

"I did!" She replied haughtily, strutting in like she owned the place, "I'm hungry!"

"Come~!" Rinzen smiled affectionately, bringing the little energy bomb to the table, and Lia was left to feed herself. 

"I honestly don't know who she took after." Chimed in Simbad, arriving as the last one, closing the door behind them.

"Well, she is a little devil, for sure!" Lia giggled, watching Rinzen feed Lidia, acting like a second mother to her.

Just as Simbad sat down, there was a knocking on the door, making him look at his daughter.

"See? This is what knocking looks like." 

"I'll get it, stay!" Lucian chuckled, making him sit back as he let in the newcomers.

"Good morning." Echoed the polite, thin voice as another young girl stood there, bowing towards Lucian, her light-purple hair tied up in a bun.

"See?" Ceiline scolded her daughter, "Zara can act politely! Why can't you?"

"I am polite!" Lidia protested, watching Zara come in, a bit confused, followed by her parents, Aurora and Sion.

"She is being a menace again?" Aurora wrote, smiling, making the parents sigh in tandem.

"Well, Merin will arrive soon enough!" Sion laughed, closing the door behind him, making Lidia stiffen, going red in the face, looking at her mother.

"Don't look at me!" Ceiline harrumphed playfully, "You like him, not us! Go conquer the boy if you can, but if you keep acting like a little spoiled brat, he won't even look at you!"

"Zara! Help!" Lidia shouted, but her young little friend hid behind her father's legs.

"Kiddos!" Lia interrupted, looking at Lidia, who flinched, paying attention to her, unlike when her parents warned her. "You both are still young, so relax! And if you want to woo my little nephew, you best work hard, Lidia!"

"Y-yes... Aunt Lia!"

"Good! Because if you cause trouble, even if you are not a student here yet, I will spank you!"

"Permission granted." Ceiline and Simbad said at once, making the others laugh, and only Lidia was left pouting, feeling everyone was bullying her.

...

....

.....

The Academy's opening ceremony welcomed another batch of new students who traveled here from different parts of Meriath and came from all kinds of backgrounds. As the young faces walked past the window with eager expressions, Albert couldn't help but sigh, sitting in his wife's shop. 

"I like how everything became lively again. Did you ever think about leaving? Exploring this Cosmos?"

"What?" Cici asked, sitting up on the counter in her original form, "You want to follow the others?"

"No, not really. I just thought you would-"

"I like it here. I am fine, not knowing what is outside." She interrupted him, climbing into his lap and letting Alber scratch her behind the ears. It was then that the door opened, and an old man walked in, leaning on a stick.

"Opparu." Cici meowed, looking at him bringing in a heavy book.

"Yo." The old artificer smiled, slowly coming in and placing it on the counter. "I finished my biography! Would you be kind enough to hold onto it?"

"Sure." She answered without thinking while Albert brought over a chair and poured wine for the old man. "I will make copies to sell."

"Thanks." Opparu sighed, sitting down with a moan, "I'm just glad I finished it in time! Hehe... I watched the opening ceremony. The little pipsqueak grown up, eh?"

"Not just her!" Albert chuckled, "Everyone else, too!"

"Yeah. They did! I said it in my book, too... I was lucky to meet the new generation in my twilight years!" With that, he raised his cup, clanking it against Albert's as the trio sat there, saying nothing, just enjoying the peace of the new era. 

...

....

.....

"Master, here is the newest list of this year's 8th Graders who applied to graduate with Honors." Cael bowed, placing a thick book on Lia's table in her office, making her groan.

"I will deal with it soon... Aaaah... damn."

"You could always escape."

"I know!" Lia chuckled at his joke, leaning back in her chair, smiling. "But, right now, Meriath is still rebuilding. It will take time. A lot of time, so for now, I am fine playing the role of Headmaster! I may complain, but I love it!"

"Master... Can I ask what level you are? You have been feeling... different. Since last month."

"Finally noticed, huh?" She grinned, leaning forward. "I am still only at the 8th Tier, but I managed to combine seven of the eight elements! Only Nature remains that still eludes me!"

"Congratulations, Master!" Cael exclaimed, bowing deeply, honest admiration in his eyes and voice.

"Ahaha... thank you. I just can't put my finger on Nature... it is... complicated. Maybe I should take my Mom's advice!"

"Which is?" 

"Hehe... to give her a grandkid!" 

"Not a bad idea!" Echoed three voices at the same time as her brothers walked into her office.

"Eh?! How long have you been listening?!" She yelped, sitting up straight and looking at her siblings shyly. 

"A few minutes." Solren told her the truth as he usually did: "They thought there was some juicy rumor to be heard, so we were eavesdropping."

"Way to go!" Grunted Lauron, slapping the back of his head playfully.

"Now, now!" Razael roared with laughter, "We came to tell you that it will be up to you to give Mom a grandkid!"

"What?" Lia asked, feeling floored, "All of you are into boys now? Was it Lauron's idea?"

"No." The three answered in the same voice, looking at their sister with a tranquil look. "We just decided that we will leave Meriath and look around outside. Now that we all are at the 9th Tier, we want to explore the Cosmos!"

"Oh..." She murmured, standing up, hugging them individually, and looking at their faces, "Be careful! Okay?"

"Don't worry! We are not weak, nor are we heading into battle! Who knows, maybe we will come back with some foreign wives?" Lauron joked, making the other two roll their eyes.

"I really need to work on it, huh?" Lia asked, smiling at her siblings, her lips curling mischievously, "Well... The Silly Fox has been bringing it up from time to time... but!"

"But?" They looked at her, watching Lia stretch her pinky finger towards her brothers. 

"Promise me if I send word that I am expecting, you all return to visit me!"

"Promise!" They smiled back affectionately as they stretched out their pinkies, making an unbreakable vow between siblings.

When the day of their leaving came, the Amarin family and the Misfits together watched them leave through the Realm Gate, seeing the endless Cosmos on the other side swallowing them up.

"One day..." Lia whispered while watching the image of countless stars disappear, being surrounded by her family, "But right now... here is the best."

The End

Here we are... at the end of the story. I thank all of you who read my story, gave me likes and comments, or just bookmarked it! You are the reason that I write! I really hope it was a fun read and you leave this story behind with a feeling that it was worthy of your time!

What's next? Well, Steel & Mana, to be honest with you all. It will become my Monday - Friday project. Maybe you will like it, and if not, that is also fine! Not every book of mine can be for everybody; I understand that. Still, if one day, a similar book like this and Mad God comes from me, I will also announce it on my profile!

Once again, thank you all for reading my book(s), and hopefully, I will see you all under my other works!

A good friend of mine, Hans, has drawn a gift for us as a celebration of the story's end! I hope you like the image as much as I do, and if you are interested in some great isekai story with a protagonist going from a powerless human to a nation's leader, go check out his "The Saint Series" on Honeyfeed!

35