11. Guilt and Chuckles?***
3.6k 14 143
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the solitude of my room, I found myself lost in deep thought, a deep frown etched across my face as I replayed the day's events in my mind.

"Something's odd... There's absolutely no way that I, who has endured tribulations for countless eons, would find myself flustered over a 9-year-old's kiss. Definitely not!"

"It's most likely my young body's influence, the surging hormones and whatnot. Yes, that must be it!"

"Ah!"

The sudden appearance of Lei Qiang jolted me from my thoughts, my surprise was evident in my scream. 

"W-what?! Ahem, what's the matter?" I asked, reigning in my surprise and settling into a composed demeanor.

"Young master," Lei Qiang's voice was as calm as ever, however, there was a certain heaviness to it "It concerns the cloaked man from the auction."

"The cloaked man? Ah... yes, that guy. Have you managed to uncover his identity?" I questioned, my memory jogged by the mention of the mysterious figure.

"Young master, that man evaded my subordinate's pursuit, and thus..." Lei Qiang's tone carried an air of apology, her head bowed in deference.

"He escaped?" The deep furrow between my brows deepened at the news, annoyance, and dissatisfaction in my voice.

"Please forgive me for my incompetence!" Lei Qiang swiftly lowered her head and offered a deep bow and apologized without a moment's delay as this was the first time she had seen me this annoyed.

A sigh escaped me, weariness lacing my tone. "So be it, the die has been cast. But tell me, did you find the whereabouts of Xiao Dong?"

"Yes, we located him tucked away in an unassuming alley." Lei Qiang's voice remained calm. However, she mulled over each of the words she spoke.

"Was there anything abnormal about his demeanor or condition?"

"No, nothing noteworthy." She replied without any fluctuation in her voice, yet a sudden realization began to dawn on her.

"Is that so..." I contemplated over the situation as I wondered if my concerns were unfounded, "Lei Qiang... Summon the ones who investigated this matter to me." Alas, I decided to be careful regarding this matter.

...

In the presence of Jianyu, who sat on an ornate chair, and Lei Qiang, who stood by his side, the two female subordinates stood with their heads lowered as they felt the almost palpable tension in the air.

"Greetings to the esteemed young master!" The first subordinate, an older woman that looked to be in her thirties and possessed the Shedding mortality realm of cultivation, spoke in a voice filled with steadfast deference.

"G-greetings to the esteemed young master!" The second subordinate had similar cultivation. However, the difference between the two was like heaven and earth, the latter, unlike the former, looked to be much younger and acted like a scared rabbit while she was facing a child(Jianyu).

Jianyu nodded in acknowledgment as his gaze scanned the two's figure, and after a moment of silence, his lips parted.

"I believe you two are the ones who were responsible for the recent investigations, correct?"

"Indeed." "Y-yes!" Both of them responded instantly, their personalities apparent within their manner of speech.

Without further ado, Jianyu decided to cut to the chase and asked, "Which one among you two was responsible for investigating Xiao Dong?"

"The one tasked with this matter was me, young master." The first subordinate... Subordinate-A answered, her voice remaining as tranquil as a still pond.

"Hm... Did you happen to see any injuries, any oddities in his demeanor?" Jianyu questioned.

"Yes, young master. When I found Xiao Dong, he was clutching his arm as he consumed a restorative pill to heal his injuries." As these words left subordinate-A's mouth, subordinate-B's body twitched and her face paled, which was of course noted by all present there.

"Did you add this detail in your report?" Ignoring subordinate B for now Jianyu continued to question subordinate-A.

"Yes, young master." 

Hearing subordinate-A's swift response, Jianyu nodded and turned his attention toward subordinate-B.

"You..." as Jianyu's words reached her, subordinate-B's body jolted yet again, "Did you happen to have injured that cloaked figure's arm?" 

"Y-yes, young master. I-I did!" Subordinate-B stuttered as she felt a sense of impending doom weigh upon her.

"Xin Yue! You—!" Lei Qiang yelled aloud as she glared at subordinate-B. However, her words were cut short by Jianyu, "Lei Qiang, be quiet for a moment." saying this, Jianyu turned his gaze back to subordinate-B.

"Xin Yue, correct?" Noticing her timid nod, Jianyu continued, "Well then, Xin Yue, why didn't you, as a direct subordinate of Lei Qiang, include this matter in your reports?"

"I-I..." Just from this, Jianyu could picture what had happened. However, he let her continue to get a clearer image. "W-when I tried to divine the cloaked individual using h-his blood on my weapon... I-it d-disintegrated, s-so I..." As subordinate-B, Xin Yue's words turned into whispers, both Lei Qiang and subordinate-A's complexion turned ashen.

"Y-young master! Xin Yue is immature and made a mistake, please forgive her! I'll make sure she'll not make such a mistake again!" Lei Qiang lowered her head in a display of an immaculate 90-degree bow.

Meanwhile, subordinate-A sweated profusely beneath Jianyu's cold and decisive gaze, not daring to meet it.

However, all this caused Jianyu to scrunch his brows in confusion, 'Why are they acting as if I'm a devil?' He could understand the other two's reactions. However, Lei Qiang had known him for years! It's not like he had killed or tortured someone in front of her!

"Sigh..." A tired sigh slipped past his lips as he held his head in frustration, "Lei Qiang, as her superior you, must also be held accountable for her incompetence, correct?" Jianyu continued his voice void of any turmoil.

"Yes, young master!" Lei Qiang responded, her bow seemingly going beyond even the 90-degree benchmark.

"Mhm," Jianyu nodded profoundly, "However, it is also true that you've shown diligence while serving me. Thus, taking that matter into consideration, I'll let this matter go. As for her..." Jianyu turned toward subordinate-B, who in turn lowered her head even more, 

"I'll let you handle this matter too. However, make sure that such actions are not repeated." 

"""Many thanks, young master!""" The three exclaimed in unison.

"Now leave," Jianyu demanded dismissively, urging them to leave with a gesture of his hand.

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

Lan Yun, also known as subordinate-A, had dedicated herself to the Xin family since her childhood, spanning over nine centuries. She had witnessed the monstrous talents of the Xin family heirs, especially after encountering Xin Yinyue. However, it was meeting Jianyu that truly shifted her perception of reality.

Though still a child, his wisdom surpassed his age, radiating an air of maturity. His temperament was marked by decisive choices, yet he showed kindness and consideration toward his subordinates.

"Thank you very much, Senior Lei Qiang!" Xin Yue expressed her gratitude. 

"If you have anyone to thank it's not me but rather the young master." Lei Qiang replied with a gentle smile. 

Confusion painted Xin Yue's expression as she gazed at Lei, her brows furrowing in question.

"Sigh... If you had committed the same mistake with Lady Yingyue, regardless of your potential and talent, your punishment would have been far harsher. Worst case scenario you would've been crippled for life." Lan Yun spoke with an eerily calm tone.

"I-is that so?!" Xin Yue asked in surprise, however, she was met with a nod from not only Lan Yun but also Lei Qiang

Xin Yue hailed from a branch family, cherished for her exceptional talent that allowed her to reach the transcending mortality realm within a mere six centuries. Serving under Lei Qiang for the past decade, she had developed a close relationship with Lan Yun, who, despite her reserved demeanor, possessed a wealth of knowledge. Upon receiving their confirmation, a shiver coursed down Xin Yue's spine.

'I-i better make sure we never mess up like this again!" That day Xin Yue made a silent oath to herself. 

On a side note, from that day, Jianyu gained a rather 'interesting' reputation among his subordinates.

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

"Well, at the very least, I obtained this," I remarked, extracting the five-colored world essence jade from my spatial ring.

"To think I acquired a world essence jade for some mid-grade spirit stones. Nevertheless, for a treasure like this to exist in this world... Perhaps the collapse of a realm also gives birth to a world essence jade. Yes, that's likely the explanation. However, this one is rather weak."

Gazing at the five-colored world essence jade, a smile graced my lips.

'If I utilize this for my foundation, my path forward might be easier than a girl with daddy issues and inferiority complex...not that I have committed such acts.'

"But, I can't utilize this fully at the foundation establishment realm... Perhaps it will be useful when I form my core." I mused, a nod affirming my conclusion.

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

Swoosh* Swoosh*

Jianyu's blade sliced through the air in a rhythmic dance, each slash carrying the weight of his practice. His body was drenched in sweat and his wrist was visibly red due to the strain of each movement. Yet, amidst the pain from exertion, his mind held an uncanny clarity.

Perhaps it was a gift of his innate aptitude that whenever his grip tightened around the hilt, his mind would instantaneously gain tranquility. The sword became an extension of his very self, and the world beyond its edge became irrelevant. Seizing a timely moment, Jianyu once again attempted a familiar experiment.

Swoosh*

The blade arced downward, cleaving the air. Yet, mid-swing he made a subtle movement to diverge from the predictable trajectory. 

Thak*

With a resounding clang, the blade left his grasp, plummeting earthward. His wrist quivered, hurt by the sudden alteration, and pain coursed through his arm.

However, this was within his expectations. For this had happened hundreds of times before.

"Haa... Lei Qiang, towel?" Jianyu panted, apparent fatigue etched upon his face.

"Here, young master." Lei Qiang, who had been observing from a distance, hastened forward and offered a towel.

Accepting the towel, I began to wipe my brows, the cool fabric soothing against my heated skin. I settled by a nearby table.

"Young master, here." Lei Qiang interjected, her hands now presenting a delicate cup filled with tea, its lovely aroma disseminating through the air. In an elegant exchange, she replaced the used towel, carrying away the sweaty towel swiftly.

'It's been two weeks since that day already, huh?' Jianyu pondered, his thoughts winding back to that accursed day. When, for the first time in countless eons, he had held such deep doubts within himself.

His only saving grace was that since that day, Yin Xifeng had not made her presence known to him.

Although this was an obstruction to his plan of acting as a 'loving fiance', as a former ancient monster, Jianyu believed that his face held far greater value than any trivial advantage concerning an engagement or heaven-blessed bastard.

Just then, Lei Qiang's gaze shifted toward him, "Young master, it appears that Miss Xifeng intends to visit you today!" Lei Qiang spoke with a gentle smile, that held conviction that this would surely bring joy to Jianyu.

'Fuck!' It most certainly did not.

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

Two weeks prior, 

After, Yin Xifeng's departure from the Xin clan's domain, 

Aboard the Yin clan's Immortal boat,

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!! What have I done!!" Yin Xifeng's anguished cry was stifled by a pillow in her room in the immortal boat.

The memory of her actions flashed before her eyes over and over. 

'To think I would k-kiss him!' Xifeng screamed internally, at that moment she felt like she had to do something, be a bit more assertive. But now... she was regretting her very existence.

"Aaaaagh!! Stupid me!!" Yet another scream muffled by the ever-so-trustworthy pillow.

...

Just like that two weeks passed, however, her previous actions weighed heavily upon Yin Xifeng.

"Sigh..." Another sigh escaped her lips, something that happened every so often throughout the day, whenever she remembered her blunder from two weeks ago. Something, that had become a regular occurrence for Yin Xifeng.

However, to her maid, Su Lan, this was the greatest crisis that plagued her otherwise simplistic lifestyle.

It had all begun with that day when she had witnessed her lady weep because of a nightmare. Initially, everything seemed fine. Her lady, who had always been a troublemaker, had begun to mature, and Su Lan naturally thought well of this change.

However, it all changed that day... when she met her fiance for the first time.

{"Su Lan, What should I do?!"

"Su Lan, What should I talk about with him?"

"Su Lan, did you know Jianyu..."

"Su Lan!" "Su Lan?" "Su Lan!!" "Jianyu, he..." "Su Lan, you see..."  

"Su Lan?" "Jianyu is..."}

The past weeks, for Su Lan, had been hell, to say the least. Moreover, these constant sighs might just cause her to develop heart devils!

At least, when her lady continued to talk about her fiance, Su Lan could genuinely share her lady's joy. However, the situation now was just a constant cycle of suffering that brought joy to no one! 

Thus, after much deliberation, Su Lan finally resolved to voice her thoughts.

"My lady, Why not pay a visit to young lord Jianyu, today?" Su Lan asked in a gentle tone, in consideration of her lady's delicate situation.

"A-ah..." Xifeng's response was a mix of surprise and embarrassment, her cheeks turning redder by the moment. "I-I think, It would be better to v-visit another—"

"My lady." 

"Huh?" Su Lan's firm tone caught Xifeng off guard, leaving her momentarily speechless.

However, remaining undeterred, Su Lan continued.

"Why not pay a visit to young lord Jianyu, today?" Her voice remained steady, unwavering, even as she saw her lady's teary eyes!

"B-but..." Xifeng's uncertainty was evident, and Su Lan knew she had to take action!

"My lady... If you keep hesitating like this," Su Lan paused, a hint of melancholy in her smile for dramatic effect, "young lord Jianyu might start to show interest in someone else."

"..."

The silence that followed, was shattered by a sudden shift in Yin Xifeng's gaze. Her eyes, once filled with uncertainty, now blazed with a mixture of anguish and a hint of something darker, as she emitted the subtle bloodlust.

As the tension grew palpable, 'W-well at least she wouldn't be bullied by her husband!' Su Lan tried to look at the brighter side.

...

"Su Lan..."

"Y-yes!!" Su Lan's body jerked in response to her lady's somber tone, her answer was immediate and alert.

"What do you think, I should do?" Yin Xifeng's voice retained its dark tone as each word contained negative emotions.

"H-huh? What do you mean?" Su Lan was bewildered as she was caught off guard, uncertain of her lady's intentions.

"What should I do to make him love me?!" Yin Xifeng declared with newfound determination and a crimson-hued face.

"D-do not worry my lady! T-this Su Lan knows all there is to a man's heart!" She lied, her interactions with the opposite sex had been extremely limited as she had been serving the Yin clan from her birth.

"Su Lan...!" Yin Xifeng rejoiced, as she rushed forward and embraced her maid in a warm hug.

'W-what do I do now?!'

Unbeknownst to Yi Xifeng, Su Lan felt like a heart devil might have been better.

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

Jianyu felt an aching pain in his head as he readied himself to meet his 'beloved' fiancee. Alas, the world is a cruel place, and Jianyu's headache only increased when he found out that she was waiting in his mother's residence.

'Argh!' Jianyu felt his patience slipping by as even his mental fortitude seemed to weaken because of that annoyance.

When he arrived at his mother's his headache only increased even more, nurturing a seed of concern in his heart as he observed his mother chatting cheerfully with Yin Xifeng. The sight spurred an indescribable unease within him.

This was a matter that couldn't be brushed aside. Jianyu recognized the necessity of taking action.

...

The day turned to night Yin Xifeng had departed. Her demeanor today seemed more confident yet distanced, accentuated by the food she claimed to have prepared herself. However, that was of no concern, as Jianyu had his head filled with other thoughts.

And to resolve his concern, he was currently meeting with his mother.

"Mother." After deliberate contemplation, Jianyu's voice broke the silence as he addressed his mother.

"Yes?" His mother's response was accompanied by a gentle smile, happiness stemming from the fact that her son had come to her of his own volition.

"Mother..." Words struggled to escape from his mouth as his hesitation was apparent. But this was an ordeal that couldn't be avoided. "What are your thoughts concerning Miss Xifeng?"

"Xifeng? Well... I do find her quite adorable, it's like having a daughter I never had." 

Looking at his mother's smile, Jianyu held newfound determination in his eyes as he spoke his next words.

"Mother, I..."

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

Seated at a table in an unfamiliar garden, Jianyu indulged in a sip of the tea placed before him.

"This is an excellent brew." he complimented, setting the cup back onto the table. His attention shifted to the person seated beside him.

"I-is that so?" Yin Xifeng, whose cheeks were flushed a delicate hue, struggled to etch the image of Jianyu's elegant tea drinking into her memory. Her daze broke as she responded to his words.

"Miss Xifeng, without delay, let me get straight to the purpose of my visit today." Jianyu declared bluntly, his ever-present smile leaving his face.

"Yes..." Yin Xifeng's expression shifted to one of seriousness.

"As we're soon to be bound by familial ties for life, it's only appropriate for you to know about me, isn't it?" Jianyu's voice held an unwavering resolve.

"Yes..." Xifeng nodded, her face hued with a touch of red.

"Miss Xifeng, I despise liars and traitors," As these words left Jianyu's lips, Xifeng's face lost her color, and memories of the distant past overlapped with the present. "While I myself lie all the time, quite hypocritical to say the least..." Jianyu chuckled as his gaze shifted toward the sprawling gardens ahead.

Yin Xifeng's breath caught in her throat, her vision beginning to dim as she sensed her heart pounding fiercely within her chest.

Thak*

Jianyu's attention swiftly shifted to the origin of the sound, only to discover that Yin Xifeng had fainted.

------ One year later ------

As was my routine, I meditated within my chamber. Numerous treasures brimming with dense earth qi were meticulously arranged in an intricate formation. 

Over the past year, I had made significant progress—twelve meridians opened, and now I was focused on unlocking my third extraordinary meridian. A soft luminescence enveloped my body as I condensed earth qi within my third extraordinary meridian, triumphantly succeeding in opening it.

"Sigh... to think I still have five more of these to open," I lamented to myself, recalling the demanding efforts invested in unsealing this meridian.

Ordinarily, this process wouldn't have been so laborious for someone of my caliber. However, the task at hand involved absorbing and controlling the qi of an element I lacked an affinity for while maintaining its purity. Thus, time was a necessary investment.

"Well, at least it's less taxing than mastering alchemy. Memorizing thousands of herbs and treasures, each with distinct properties."

Comparatively, I found an unexpected solace within the practice of arrays and formations as the fundamental principles remained almost the same as my prior knowledge, making the learning curve far more manageable.

'And then there's...'

"Young master, Lady Xifeng has arrived," Lei Qiang's voice interjected, drawing my attention to my fiancee's arrival.

"Is that so? She seems to visit quite frequently, doesn't she?" I mused aloud, remembering Xifeng's consistent appearances over the past year.

"Where is she now?" I asked with a soft and genuine smile.

"Lady Xifeng is in Lady Yingyue's company."

"With my mother, huh? In that case, I shall head there leisurely," I decided, choosing to freshen up before joining them and letting Mother enjoy her time with Xifeng.

'Those two really get along well huh... from the very first-day Mother seemed to favor her, She even lets Xifeng call her mother. I guess, I made the correct decision...'

Reflecting upon the shifts in my connection with Xifeng, a pang of remorse clenched in my heart. On that day, a year ago when Xifeng had collapsed I found out a lot about her... situation.

 Xifeng had suffered the loss of her parents at a tender age, leaving her with only her grandmother and her maid to hold dear. At the age of 9, fate graced her with a fiancé who wove his way into her family circle, becoming a cherished presence in her life. 

'And yet, I dealt with her as though she were a threat to be wary of.'

'However, I've taken steps to make amends by treating her better. And, in truth, I can't complain about this engagement. It's a fair arrangement, and we're of 'similar' age. Well, the notion of her as a romantic interest will have to wait for a few years at the very least.'

After a refreshing bath, I donned my attire and set out to meet my fiancee. Arriving at the spot where my mother and fiancée were engaged in cheerful conversation, I beheld the sight that catalyst for my relationship with Xifeng.

"Looks like the two of you are getting along quite well."

"Ara Ara, Yu'er, could it be you're feeling a bit jealous that I'm monopolizing your fiancee?"

Mother's attempt at teasing prompted a tired sigh from me as I responded, "Not at all, Mother. I, Jianyu, am a truly filial son. How could I be envious of my own mother?"

Mother's light chuckle followed, and she remarked, "Very well then, I'll leave you two lovebirds to yourselves."

Once more, her playful teasing led to my exasperated sigh.

"Y-yes, Mother." Xifeng's reply, tinged with a blush, added to my sense of awkwardness.

While I acknowledge her feelings for me, I can't reciprocate them. She's just ten years old, and that cheek kiss from a year ago doesn't mean anything – I was merely flustered due to its unexpectedness. Yes, that's all it was.

Furthermore, her emotions towards me are perhaps more akin to familial affection than romantic love.

"Feng'er, those robes suit you splendidly," I complimented Xifeng, who was adorned in black garments embroidered with crimson flowers.

"T-thank you," she replied, the corners of her mouth lifting and a blush gracing her cheeks.

"You're still wearing those?" I pointed to the crimson earrings adorning her ears.

"Yes, you gave them to me, after all," she replied with a cheerful tone.

Recalling why I had gifted her those earrings, a slight trace of guilt resurfaced.

"I suppose I should give you more presents from now on then," I said with a smile as warm as a cozy thick blanket on a winter night.

"Mhm..." Xifeng nodded, lowering her head with her face as red as a tomato.

"Haha," her adorable reaction prompted a chuckle from me.

In response, Xifeng gave me an aggrieved look and pouted.

In response to this, I couldn't help but burst into laughter.

'Perhaps this isn't as bad as I thought.'

Thankyou for reading

* This got delayed cuz my shoulder was hurting, and it still is! Anyway, If I dont upload rewrite tomorrow, the pain got me

143