Chapter 6 – Negotiations
88 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
Mistakes were made, this was meant to be chapter five instead of 'One Who Morns With Laughter' hopefully this won't inconvenience readers, hopefully this won't happen again!

Falcor

"How's the leg?" Leshen said, sitting lazily within his wagon.

"You have more to worry about than my leg," Falcor said, continuing his march, for years he'd never expected to do anything but sit and be treated by any, and everyone like a child.

Everyone except Leshen, even after the accident, Leshen still saw him like he was when they were boys, with no needless coddling, no honeyed words. He was always just Leshen, always waiting to help, but only acting if Falcor requested it.

He felt only a little envy when Leshen went off and made it on his own. When his friend returned and imparted him with such a generous gift his envy became a powerful regret. /Without him, I wouldn't be here, abortion, I wouldn't be standing./

So no, when it was time to march, he did not whine like others, though few whined within Leshen's possie. Most of them Leshen rescued in some form or another.

They were accompanied by a few specialists, a Lioness here, a marshal there, Leshen's powers were able to make up what they lacked in an march. Every new hand was a bonus as far as Falcor's concerned, that feeling was cut off the moment a horse trotted ahead.

"Keep up!" She spat, the girl behind her was on her feet and had trouble keeping pace, ok calling the creature a girl might have been a stretch. She was a genie, a creature that would not hesitate to kill them all if she was let free.

At least the genie helped with the labor, somehow able to make stuff lighter than it needed to be. Warden Marja just talked smugly and lashed the genie whenever she made things 'too' light.

He didn't know what unnerved him more, the genie or the holder of her leash. She kept the horse moving just fast enough that her genie would struggle to keep up with it. This wasn't the first time he thought to have a word with the warden. But... Would helping her impress Blissful O'liya? or one of her siblings?

Warden Marja turned towards Falcor, and Falcor snapped away, he did not want her attention. "What's the matter, another spat with your girl?" He asked, hoping a conversation with Leshen would shield him from the warden's ire.

"Something like that." He said, pressing his palm against his face, he refused to elaborate. For as often as he meddled in the business of others, the man could be insufferably hypocritical when others tried to help him.

"I'm guessing it's about that scout we met," Falcor said, the wince he coaxed out of Leshen was confirmation enough.

"O'liya... Is adamant, we are of... different mindsets."

Probably preaching caution no doubt, /that's what you get for choosing a rock./ She'd have to get used to him getting his way. Perhaps she could find another more suitable partner, one who would-,

/That's enough!/ What was he thinking? Anima did not pick a human like a shirt, no they were like a pair of work boots, used and cared for until that pair had worn out and the legna needed to pick another. Besides, Leshen was also his friend! /A friend who went off and left you behind./

He shook that thought as quickly as he could muster, it did little to rid him of the shame. At times it warred with how he felt at his most immobile time. Thought nothing would ever compare to that. "I'm certain you two will work it out."

"Yeah." He said, with a smile.

"She'll get used to doing what you want eventually."

"Yea-, wait." Leshen said, fixing a gaze at Falcor, "Am I really that forceful?"

"Yes!" Blissful O'liya said, finally deaning to make herself known, she stood smaller than a pixcee, a bit larger than his hand, she looked remarkably human. "I told you Leshen," She always pronounced his name particularly, lee-shen instead of les-shen. "It's unbecoming of my chosen!" As if to make her point, she placed her hands on her hips.

"Fair enough..." He said with a bit of hesitation, "I will take that under advisement."

Blissful O'liya nodded, paying Falcor a quick wink before concealing herself again, Falcor could not help but grin.

He turned his gaze towards the warden and her pet, the genie had fallen to her knees again and Warden Marja held her lantern out to the poor creature once again. Why did that bother him so much?

"You'd probably get further if you actually talked with her." Leshen said far too satisfied with himself.

"What?"

"The warden, I've seen you staring at her."

"Maybe it's the genie he can't take his eye off." Kel, their marshal said, a horn hanging around his neck.

"I'd prefer to keep my distance from both of them." Falcor said, making a considerable effort too keep his gaze forward. The town was within view now, pockets of corpses animated around the border, barely visible, acting as sentry.

He embraced the anticipation, the rush that began to build in his chest. He swallowed that bundle of nerves, focusing on the goal. He eagerly awaited that moment when the confusion and frustration could fade away and he could lose himself in the bliss of battle.

...

Falcor tried not to let his irritation show, there was no fight. The margrave took his council and rushed away on word of Leshen's approach, like the coward he was. He left the people under his care to their mercy, /So much for the mercy of the barons./ Falcor thought, handing a bowl of soup to one of the Margrave's 'pets', apparently he only took his 'favorites' with him. Disgusting creatures these necromancers.

Falcor found Leshen in the crowd, people gathered and murmuring with one another. "People you are not safe yet." He said standing high, the soft light emitting from him. "Your Margrave will return, and I have word that they are sending one of the Ender of Hope's personal necromancers."

The crowd broke into hushed whispers and fearful cries, why tell them that? Other than to scare them away? "I will not turn tail and flee from one of his whelps, you have my promise, as long as I stand, they will not have you!"

Falcor handed another bowl to the next in line, keeping his gaze on the crowd. They murmured among one another, their fear palpable. "Which of you know how to fight?" Kel cut in, he was standing beside Leshen like he was his aborted bodyguard.

"None of us, L-Luminous," A shrill-looking woman said, "The Margrave took his marshals with him."

Leshen nodded, "Any who wish to leave, along with the children will be moved to the previous town we've liberated until we are able to secure this place." That was a curious edict, Falcor spared a cautionary glance towards the lioness, she was still here, that was a good sign at least.

"What is that all about?" Falcor said as Leshen made his way toward him after the crowd began dispersing.

"A compromise." Falcor said, grasping a flask of water, "Between me and O'liya."

Leshen nodded, /Perfect time to begin listening to others./

"Falcor, I need bodyguards for these people, you and-,"

"You finish that sentence and you won't need to worry about that necromancer, I'd already have cave your skull in."

Leshen burst out in a fit of laughter, "Fair enough, I'll have Misok and Lichem take them." That was fast, seems he already knew Falcor's answer.

"This one must have you worried if you're trying to scare us away," Falcor said, snagging a flask for himself.

"She is," Falcor shook his head, a fatalism that didn't fit his friend at all. "O'liya says she bares a grudge against one of her sisters."

"A grudge?" From what that scout explained she was barely an adult, though that didn't stop her from scaring all the lotts and half the lioness with them. "How could a person like that have a grudge against an anima?"

"She's a baron remember?" Leshen said, "They are able to reincarnate into the bodies of their offspring."

"Wait that's real?" He asked, he always assumed that was just a tale jesters told to scare children.

"Of course it's real," Blissful O'liya said, bursting out of nothingness, like a popped firecracker, a small one. "She is a dangerous foe, one who has been fighting for generations, do not expect any mercy from her, nor any sense of decency you see from her is the last remains of her host attempting to break free."

"Matron's Mercy." Falcor said, before following his statement up with a, "No offense."

"I have long gotten used to your kind misusing mother's name," Blissful O'liya said, waving his comment off. "It is also the reason you need to go all out, not use restraint." Falcor felt a kinship with the anima. /Nothing could keep Leshen back from a charity case./ Falcor pushed that pain away and moved on.

"This a part of the disagreement?" Falcor forced.

Leshen nodded, "There's got to be a way to rescue her."

"Honestly it's probably what she deserves." Falcor said, ignoring the look Leshen shot him, "I mean apostasy begins with offering one of Blissful O'liya's siblings right?"

"Cousins." The anima corrected as sharply as she was when Falcor suggested he help the aborted apostate. "But your friend has a point, she is not innocent."

"I don't believe that, you've seen the people we've liberated, how many of them were eager to join us. How many of them only act this way because they couldn't see any other way?"

What excuse is that? A murderer doesn't get off just because he was starving. "You have a point..." Blissful O'liya said, shuffling uncomfortably, /Never thought that would have shook her./ He shouldn't have been surprised, Blissful O'liya's bloodthirst probably came from the apparent grudge, the moment she was reminded of innocents caught in the crossfire, she probably began to fold. /No wonder they need us, to fight among them./

"You're missing the forest for the trees." Falcor said, "The current human acting as host might be a real tragedy, but what about the other people she has harmed? She'll keep harming others until someone is able to stop her." He said, gesturing towards the gentry that he had just served. "Almost every town we passed treated them like animals, how many have we liberated already?"

"Listen to your friend, Leshen." Blissful O'liya leapt to the other side of his shoulder, a string of mini firecrackers, one pop leading to another. "He's right, you worry way too much about the perpetrators of wrongs, and not the wronged."

Leshen sighed, "I can't just abandon them, if I did... How could anyone hold out hope if even I turned my back on them."

"You can't rescue everyone." Blissful O'liya said, looking distraught at the words. It could become too much to stomach at times. Couldn't he see how much he was hurting Blissful O'liya?

Leshen called the crowds attention again, this time explaining when they would be allowed to leave. Apparently he had Misok and Lichem go off with them, they were good men, a little too good considering who they were planing to engage.

A good number of people accepted, some making justifications for their cowardice, some of them almost persuasive enough to convince Falcor... Almost. To Falcor's surprise, not nearly as many chose to leave, too a greater surprise not one of the gentry chose to leave.

"Enjoying the show?" Gothel Ajla said from behind him, making her way to his side, "I believe he just likes yelling and uses this as an excuse."

"Mother Ajla," Mother wasn't a necessary honorific, but it didn't help to show a bit more deference. "Is there any more gentry that requires-,"

"No. Every gentry has been rescued and accounted for." Maybe he could help some of the lads with making doors. Unlike a few of the men who had joined Leshen from the start, Falcor had seen a building before. They were just as eerie as they had been when he first saw them. Large wealds, cut off from the direct protection of an elden. And those were the ones that were within decent lands.

Within these matron forsaken lands they were far worse, no more than cells. What else would be a more fitting word? Doors requiring the kindness of their necromancer masters to even get into their own dwellings. It was a necessary job that followed every liberation, breaking open a door for the people to enter and exit.

"You're probably not going to earn her favor with manual labor." Gothel Ajla stated with a playful chide, aborted interpreter.

"Am I that obvious?" He asked.

"A tad. You really need to calm down, lighten up and enjoy yourself more."

"I enjoy myself plenty." He'd do so more once an anima chose him.

"Come, I need some help picking apples." She said tossing him a bucket. He bit back his response and kept pace behind her. "You just need to learn to get out of your-, skull!"

"You mean head?"

Gothel Ajla shook her head and pointed intently, "Sk-skull..." She pointed towards the threshold of the town, a cadaver accompanied by a floating skull.

"Greetings!" The skull called, it spoke with an echoey cadence to its voice, floating beside the cadaver.

Falcor pulled his lighter, unlike a hand torch it required both hands, and particularly was fired from the shoulder.

"I would not do that if I was you, we merely come to deliver a message."

"And what message is that?" Gothel Ajla asked.

"My master wishes to parley."

...

"Chosen!" Warden Marja called out, marching with that very warden-like gait, a walk like she owned every and anything. "Have you lost your last faculty? What is this about a... a parley with necromancers no less?"

"Good to see you as well Marja,"

"Warden Marja!"

"My mistake. Still, it's good to see you."

"Answer my question Chosen, what are you thinking?"

Leshen shrugged, "Figured it would be a good way to finish this without having people needlessly die."

"You're going to get your followers killed with this soft-heartedness." She snatched the flask her genie had handed her, taking a long draft before fixing him with another glare.

"No harm can come from listening to the offer."

"Of course, it can, you'll only give her a chance to glamour each and every person here!"

"We have enough rebreathers for everyone, and she said she would come alone, I'm certain a chosen and warden can handle a single necromancer."

"That is where you are wrong," Blissful O'liya said, popping into reality, Leshen must have made her really mad. "This isn't just a single necromancer, this is the Blacklake, an ancient being practically worshiped by her comrades, the only reason we have a chance right now, is because she's newly incarnated, not yet fully overwhelmed her current host."

"How do you know she hasn't already?"

"She is taking orders from the Ender of Hope, as formidable a mortal he is, he is still only a mortal. It will only be a matter of time until she or another of the Lich lords usurp him and begin a new crusade. You. Can. Not. Reason. With. Her!"

Is that what he was planning? "Abortion Leshen, are you out of your blissful mind?" All eyes fixed on Falcor, Warden Marja narrowing her eyes, she didn't like how casual he was with Leshen. /Tough./

"O'liya and I have been talking, she says her light could recover the host."

"I said it was a possibility, and the host would still need to not only be aware but also willing, even then." She popped out, and appeared once again, "I wouldn't put leaves on it."

"Enough of this, if anything I will claim the Blacklake, make her a genie, and present her to the matron!"

"Marja," Leshen had trouble using etiquette even before he was chosen, "This is greater than your ambitions." There was an uneasiness between the two.

Everyone knew of Marja's ambition, matron, Falcor didn't think he'd ever met a warden that didn't radiate ambition. As much as they speak of the follies of necromancers and their ambition, he felt a warden could give any apostate a lesson on such traits. Not that anyone would be stupid enough to tell them that.

"Actually," Blissful O'liya said, attempting to break the tension, "That was the other option, we bring her to an audience with mother, she could redeem the host and grant her a new life as a regal.

Falcor never understood that, why was regalhood held only for the worst of the worst, only to be reborn as one so high? But that was the key term, wasn't it? Rebirth. The uncertainty of what came after that meeting was what kept him from chasing that elk. That and the reprehensible actions required to be considered of course.

"Fine, if we can not reach an accord, we will apprehend and-,"

"I keep telling you, there will be no accord!" Blissful O'liya shouted, her fist clenched like she was pulling a rag. "She will kill every last one of us, and laugh as you draw your last breath!"

"I guess we'll just have to hope," Leshen said with a smile.

...

She approached on a horse that lacked flesh, he did not know if it was entirely made of bone, it was draped in some kind of cloak, that acted as a banner. Blissfully she dismounted the abomination outside the threshold of the town, as the reports said, bone-white hair and all. It was like looking at a ghost.

"Chosen, I am glad you have accepted my offer." She said smiling, as she approached Leshen, and placing her weapon on the table.

Weapon was a kind word, it was a broken blade, the metal barely the length of a hand, even broken it was well maintained. Kept as if it was an actual weapon and not just an ornament, which he assumed must have been easy, it's not like it would be hard to keep a trophy from wearing.

"It is so rare to find someone who knows when to surrender." She said reaching into her bag pulling out a bottle, and two glasses.

"Is that your offer? You wish to surrender to us?"

"No." She said with a laugh, "Your surrender of course," She poured what Falcor assumed was wine into a glass.

"I can not accept that offer," Leshen said, as the Blacklake hovered the bottle over the glass, and looked towards Leshen, who shook his head.

"Fair enough, I wouldn't accept anything from you, either, not when... She is around." She shot a pointed look at Warden Marja. "On the subject of trust, reveal your anima."

"Why would I do that?" Leshen asked, after regaining his composure.

"As I said, I could never accept any offer 'she' grants, I have to make certain you aren't bound to her if we are to actually make any headway."

"She's not a muse, I can't make her do what she doesn't want to."

"Very well," She looked dejected, "I was expecting something like this." She made her disappointment pointed by throwing the rest of her wine back. "I would wish you luck on the field tomorrow, but- y'know."

Leshen turned slightly, he was clearly pleading with his anima, "Fine!" She said, popping into existence. "You see me, now can you quit-,"

"It is usually proper to introduce ourselves before-,"

"I know of you Blacklake."

"Nylah. And you are?" She said, looking towards Leshen.

"Leshen Court," He looked to Blissful O'liya for permission, "This is my companion, O'liya. I am glad our first meeting is in less... aggressive. Heartless Nylah."

Nylah's eyebrow rose, "It's good to know the invaders are at least led by a gentleman." That got a sharp awkward silence following that statement. Had the Blacklake really made such a brash proposal? "Oh right, I meant it is good to find my enemies are led by someone so gallant."

"What is the proper way to address you?"

That took the legna off-guard as much as the rest of them, "B-Blissful, I will accept Legna from you if that is too complicated."

"Understood, O'liya." She said with satisfaction as Blissful O'liya popped out of existence, he knew the legna had a short temper, but that was the quickest he saw her explode. "I'm sorry," Blacklake said, "Childish I know, but I just couldn't help myself. Now shall we get to business?"

"I think that would be productive," Leshen said, nodding towards Gothel Ajla who tentatively stood behind Leshen. Blacklake looked at her then turned to Leshen with a raised eyebrow. "She is my interpreter."

"Have you need of one, chosen? We're both speaking the same language here."

"I just want to make certain there is no room for misinterpretation."

Nylah looked at Gothel Ajla with the intent to kill, before looking to Leshen, paying the gothel no mind. "Considering you didn't take well to my first offer, how about one you will find more palatable? You and your men pick up and leave, anyone who wishes to accompany you is free to follow and you have my word you will not be chased, by any of my forces or the forces of the magus of this province ."

"That's a kind offer," Leshen said, Gothel Ajla whispered into her ear Falcor did not miss the look on the Blacklake's face, "But I can not abandon the gentry."

"When did I say you couldn't take the eldritch?" Falcor felt the uneasiness fill the room at that word. "As long as they agree to go with you, I really don't care." That was odd, was this baron really ok with losing so much of her property? /No, there's a reason to her words, no doubt./ The best reason he could figure was nothing here probably belonged to her. He wished he could hear Gothel Ajla's interpretation to understand what in Oblivion this necromancer was planning.

"I still can't accept."

"Why not?" The Blacklake kept her tone even, but he was around Warden Marja to notice the irritation, "I am already being far too lenient with you as it is."

"I can not leave, to hand this place back to its previous tyrant would be a betrayal."

"I have already allowed you to take those who are willing-,"

"There is a difference between willing, and able I will not leave you those who are too frightened, or otherwise."

"How fitting... The ones who refuse to follow you, are merely frightened."

"You are pushing pretty hard for this, it leads me to wonder why. Could it be, you're afraid?"

Blacklake laughed, it was an evil thing if he ever heard such a sound. "I'm 'pushing hard' because it doesn't feel right slaughtering children, no excitement, besides my muse," Gothel Ajla flinched at that word, "She prefers challenges, this would not be one."

Gothel Ajla whispered into Leshen's ear, only for the Blacklake to interrupt, "If you are whispering about me, I would have you speak so I can hear you."

Gothel Ajla looked at Leshen pleadingly, "I have your assurances you will not harm Gothel Ajla?" Leshen asked.

"Chosen, I am here to avoid bloodshed, killing someone for what they say, that would sully what little progress we have made here."

Leshen gave Gothel Ajla a nod, "She won't harm me until my words annoy her enough to justify her killing me."

"Well," She said with a placid smile, "I'll just have to prove you wrong." Must have hit the nail on the head, no doubt. "What was your other interpretation, before I rudely interrupted you."

"Y-you won't get excitement from the fight, because of that, you'll have to make up your own fun, killing us in the most brutal way possible. You also mentioned your... phantasm, a subtle threat towards Blissful O'liya."

"I heard of your kind, I don't like you." The Blacklake said, before turning towards Leshen. "Well, Chosen? Still believe I'm afraid?"

"No, I think you believe you can win."

"I know I will win, I won't only win, I will take those foolish enough to follow you and have them fight for a more worthier cause?"

"Threatening us?" Leshen asked, looking disappointed

"A reassurance... That your deaths will have meaning." Blacklake said, offering a pale Gothel Ajla a satisfied smirk, before focusing on Leshen again. "I know how keen you lions are for being of use."

"I won't relent," Leshen said, keeping a firm glance at the necromancer.

"Yet you won't relent." She said with irritation. Closing her eyes, Blacklake let out a sigh. "There was once a man, who wished to fight the nightwave, he worked himself physically, mentally, and..." She paused for a moment, "Financially. He continued to work himself to the bone, spending every waking hour, he would not stop until he could face and banish the wave. And then he died."

"Are you calling yourself a Nightwave?" Blissful O'liya said after a slight pause.

"A cart actually. In the chronicle, he dies when a cart runs him over. I'm pretty certain the moral obvious, but I'll ask anyway. Why won't you move out of the way of the cart?"

"Because I was granted powers, powers that should benefit my fellow men, otherwise I'm probably not living up to what I should be."

"You begin a war with my people, get everyone who follows you. People you've rallied and stirred into a frenzy, People you have pulled away from what little they had, killed. All because you want to prove your anima picked the right choice?"

"Don't put words in my mouth."

"Not fun, is it?"

"I assure you Heartless Nylah, this is no war."

"Then what do you call attacking my people and pressing them into your war? If not to impress your girl?"

"I'm making their lives better, look around you, a large amount of these people had been ignored or worst stomped on by their resident magus, and you do nothing. Nothing until they rose up and demanded to be listened to."

"Ah yes, I'm so glad you are aware of the intricate nuances of our government. Tell me Chosen, if someone pushed people to the brink, eschewed your rules, and pushed your people to fight their battles, would you not call them what they are? A terrorist?"

"Tyrants are fond of calling those who speak out terrorists." Blissful O'liya said, popping into existence.

"On that, we can agree anima." The Blacklake looked at Warden Marja's genie before looking back at Leshen. "These things have procedures, had they aired their grievances and allowed the system in place to take care of them, their issues could have been addressed. But all that has been accomplished is needless slaughter, all that you accomplished was needless slaughter."

"Says the baron to the starving man."

"Quotes the legna that can't eat." Blacklake said, finding something amusing in that. "Hunger is a state preferable to death, I find," It was obvious this woman had never been hungry in her life.

"Apparently a few of your people disagree," Leshen said, with a smile.

A smile returned on the Blacklake. "As is their right, it is when they raise a blade that I must act. I don't like you Chosen, you have done nothing but cause trouble. Death and carnage follow in your wake. How many people have you killed through your cause so far?"

"More than I'd prepared myself for."

"Good."

"She is glad that it bothers you," Gothel Ajla said, "They believe that is a weakness, she is attempting to subtly position you into giving up."

"Hypothetically, What would get you to turn around and leave?"

Leshen looked to Blissful O'liya who had faded away at some point when Falcor hadn't paid attention. "The complete liberation of every gentry, the unconditional surrender of your Lich lords, and-,"

Blissful O'liya popped into existence between the two of them, "Your master chained and made to pay for what he did to He who Mother cherished." She finished.

"And I would like a day off with my brother," Blacklake said, "But I suggest we keep to what is possible."

"We will not turn tail and run-,"

"A Lichpin," Blacklake interrupted, lacing her fingers together, "Trusted by He who killed He who your Mother cherished. no less, approaches you to make an offer, it would be best if you took advantage of this opportunity, Chosen."

"Assuming you are being genuine, I would leave, if you released every gentry, and freed the legna you keep chained."

"I already told you, the ones who wished to leave with you can, those that wish to stay I will not force to leave, and no you can not have the Archon, I am already being kind by not reclaiming the motif you have 'liberated'."

"I would also want your Loa, liberated and returned to the matron."

The Blacklake's eyes shined that amber glow, like a mountain lion, baring its fangs before pouncing. The men, including Falcor, jumped into a defensive stance, lighters and spears leveraged against the necromancer. /A lot of good it would do./

"A word of advice Chosen, you should steer away from making that request ever again when you speak with my comrades, many of them are sadly not as in control of their muses as I am." An awful feeling pressed against, his gut, even now the little legna was fighting against its captor.

"This whole farce is ridiculous!" Blissful O'liya popped back into visibility, "What do you really want Blacklake? I was there when you breathed your first life! The atrocities you committed! You expect me to deliver my chosen to you on a plate? You must be mad!"

"Your anima appears eager for bloodshed," Blacklake said, pointedly ignoring the blissful child.

"I trust O'liya, Blacklake-"

"Nylah, Nylah ex Blacklake."

"I trust her Nylah, she has told me of what you have done, you must excuse the reluctance to believe you are actually here in good faith."

"No, This caution... I approve of it," She said, looking at the town, turning her gaze to a few specific people, Falcor included. If he said it didn't frighten him to his core, he would be lying. "You care for them, don't you?"

"She's planning-,"

"Interpreter, I would ask you to hold your tongue, unless you wish me to rip it from your mouth." The threat itself seemed enough to make Gothel Ajla ready to lose her lunch.

"Gothel Ajla, just make certain the others are ok."

"You care for them, don't you?" She asked again, the moment Gothel Ajla left.

"Yes."

"Then take what you have already earned, and make your leave, if you must throw your lives away, do it when you have reinforced your numbers. The nexus amberite," What they called the matron's light. "You have already appropriated will be more than enough to come back with a real force."

"What game are you playing at?" Warden Marja said, "Cut the shit about caring about these people! If you did you would relinquish the loa you held and offer yourself to the matron's judgment!"

"It's a good thing you are in charge, Leshen." She said with a grin.

"But she is right, This is some powerplay." Blissful O'liya stated.

"I guess you could call it that," She-, hesitated would be the wrong word, but she held on to that statement before continuing. "My master requires this place returned." She offered nothing more.

"And if you fail?" Leshen asked.

"I won't."

"But, hypothetically if you did fail, would you want to return to him with that news?"

After a slight hesitation only noticeable if you were paying attention, she finally responded, "No."

"Then we are similar on that front, I could not look O'liya in the eye, if I turned my back on the people who need me."

"Are you certain these people need you, Chosen?"

"You already know my answer."

"I do." Blacklake lifted to her feet, "I now ask, all of you." She spoke as casually and normally as she had with Leshen, yet her voice echoed throughout the entire town. "Are you willing to fight and die for this man? They plan to place your women and children under their... 'protection,' Expecting you to fight their battles, to fight me. If that is what you want far be it from me to get in your way. But if you merely wish to be left in peace."

The Blacklake pointed towards a dome-like building, somewhat larger than the other buildings. "Take yourselves and your families, and place them within the Nightwave shelter, you have my word, that I nor my forces will visit any harm towards that or its inhabitants."

Coward! A token of kindness to get the natives to act outside of their best interest, how many fools would take the bait, and how many would betray their fellow men just for the certainty of one more day?

"Just a cart are you?" Blissful O'liya said, that got a smile from Blacklake, who merely shrugged, waiting for Leshen's response.

"Thank you." He said, with that smile of his.

For once, Blissful O'liya, the Blacklake, and Falcor all reacted the same, looking to Leshen in some form of disbelief.

Blacklake was the first to break the silence, laughing, the amused type, the type Falcor would hear when he used to attempt to get to his feet, before Leshen. The type of laughter they enjoyed behind his back. "You know what Leshen, I like you. You are a pleasant surprise to the chosen I had expected to find."

"Perhaps if you spoke with more of us, you'd find we aren't all that bad."

"Perhaps..." Blacklake responded fondly, "I will offer you this boon Leshen Court, I will grant you a quick death, as painless as possible, before she," Blacklake made a point of looking at Blissful O'liya, "Can take away what makes you so grand."

"And what would that be?" Blissful O'liya asked, unable to hide the offense of her accusation.

"Telling him would be missing the point of the boon."

"How can we trust your word?"

"We both already know killing him, along with anyone else you deem worthy is necessary, parasite." Parasite? That's what the lichlords viewed the anima as? Which was funny coming from a body snatching corpse harvester.

"Not that! You promised to spare anyone who enters that shelter, why should they believe you at all?"

Blacklake sighed, pulling a braid of her hair from her bag, /What was she planning with that?/ No it wasn't her hair, it was too vivid.

"Is it genuine?" Blissful O'liya asked.

"It's not like you'll believe me if I say yes." The Blacklake looked genuinely insulted, which wasn't what Falcor expected would get at her. Blacklake tossed the braid at the center of the table for them to examine, Leshen took the braided hair and ran his thumb against the pathways of hair.

"Kel, What do you think?" Leshen handed it to Kel who had made his way toward the table when his name was called. The marshal looked the braid over a couple of times, running his thumb through it slowly. Pulling his rebreather down to get a whiff. Aborted fool!

"Looks genuine, not unless the apostates have some kind of way to counterfeit a white mare's braid." White mare's braid? That's what that was? It looked so... ordinary.

"Go ahead," Leshen said, Kel tossed the braid back to Blacklake who untangled a strand of hair and wrapped it around her hand.

"I, Nylah ex Blacklake, on the name of my honor, everything, and everyone I hold dear, swear this oath. I will not harm anything or anyone who enters the nightshelter, during the course of our battle."

"Nor after the battle," Blissful O'liya added.

"I will not have you trap me, parasite, who would you sneak in? Who would you make me powerless to, else I become foresworn?"

"So you admit you will merely slaughter everyone after-, if you beat us?"

Blacklake glared at Blissful O'liya, if looks could kill... "I, Nylah ex Blacklake, on the name of my honor, everything, and everyone I hold dear, swear this oath. I will not harm anyone who enters the nightshelter, during the course of our battle, and a week-"

"A month."

"A week! From the actual battle I or-, no, I along with any forces I possess will not harm anyone who stays within the shelter, failure to heed to this will leave this offer null, and excuse them from the protections offered by my oath, though they can regain said protections if their explanation satisfies me."

"No, too much power in your hands, make it a neutral arbiter."

"No, if I win, there will be no need for a neutral force, they will have a chance to appeal with an appointed official by the undying church. Failure to adhere to these on the judgment of the White Mane's Braid, I will offer reparations to those I have wronged if killed; their family, next of kin, will receive ten times my salary of...four months."

"You think you can fix your cruelty with money!?" Warden Marja interrupted, "If you break this oath, you should be made to make amends!" It was blatantly obvious what she was attempting.

"And how... Would I 'make amends' Warden? Become your pet? I'm certain those wronged will feel content knowing you've risen among your ranks." Warden Marja gritted her teeth, pressed fingers against her lantern, and then her genie fell to her knees.

"I'm going to enjoy meeting you on the battlefield," Blacklake said with a smile.

"Warden Marja has a point," Blissful O'liya said, "If you're putting the clauses out, you must be planning something."

"I'd be a fool to leave myself open to becoming foresworn, you would stop at nothing to ensure it happened."

I will offer reparations to those I have wronged, if killed, their family or next of kin, will receive ten times my salary of four months. Paid within the term of one month beginning when I have returned and completed my mission. With two weeks' salary for anyone who is injured by my direct harm."

Blacklake tapped a finger on the table. "Oh, have you used your powers to 'fix' the hearts of the people in this town yet?"

"No."

"Good, then I want you to swear you will not, until our battle is finished, this request is obviously void if they choose to fight alongside you, voiding the protections afforded by my oath." Falcor felt the phantom pain that used to haunt his leg, no, he would have killed for pain back then. Anything to avoid the years of nothingness, where would he have been if not for Leshen's light.

"Why would I agree to that?" Leshen asked the first time Falcor heard an edge in his voice.

"Because I will kill them. Don't give me that look, It's how it will be. If you're really concerned about the well being of these people be thankful for my warning. Just think of it as a priority shift, once you deal with me, you can 'mend' them until your heart's content. Do you accept?"

"I accept," Leshen said.

The two of them went through further details, honestly it felt like the necromancer just wanted to hear herself speak more. When they finally finished the braid hummed, and faded away, leaving only two strands for both necromancer and chosen. "Finally." She said, placing her strand in her pack. "I hate using those things."

"I would bet." Blissful O'liya said.

"You don't have to you know." Leshen said, tying his strand around his pinky.

"Apparently I do, considering you barely trust me"

"No, I mean follow her whims, the Blacklake's whims, I can see the real you, a person who really wants to do good."

"You can, can you?" She leaned on her palm, that amused look on her face again.

"You've come here completely determined to rescue as many people as you can, you even seem to have reservations of killing me. Your greatest issue with me was that people are willing to die for their freedoms."

"I do not have a problem with people dying for their causes, I have a problem with them dying for your cause."

"Another point made, you're only here because you have to, it's obvious."

"Get to the point Chosen."

Leshen held his hand out, a soft light building in his palm, "O'liya says this might free you from her grasp, the Blacklake. You could be Nylah again, you wouldn't need to keep doing things you don't want-,"

"Banish that light Chosen, now." Reluctantly Leshen faded his light, "I just told you to keep your men's wellbeing on the forefront and your thinking of wasting what limited light you have on a stranger you're going to fight tomorrow?"

"Even now you're trying to help as many people as you can, if you give this a try you could escape the grasp Blacklake has had on you. Besides, if this does work, it would remove a powerful lich from the board."

"You do not understand," She said, "I am the Blacklake." Her eyes shone with a crimson ruby light.

"If you do not come at me with the intent to kill, you will get everyone who follows you killed. Keep focused on those you can save, and I am not one of them. Besides, that light will have little effect on me in that way."

"We'd never know if you don't try."

Blacklake nodded, "This was a good conversation, I look forward to killing you." She said, getting up and making her way out. The entire town was silent as she made her exit, she stopped as she made her way to the threshold of the town.

"Leshen... Do you really thank your light could... work on me?"

"I'm certain of it."

"I would like to see an example first." She said the blade she left on the table faded away.

"Leshen, stop her!" Blissful O'liya shouted.

But it was too late, the blade leapt to her right hand like a bolt of lightning, appearing in her grasp as an actual weapon, the blade a fusion of metal and energy. Before anyone could respond, she cut her blade through the nearest man's neck, Jace fell to the floor, his head following in an arc.

Falcor didn't think, he just pressed on his lighter, firing trails of coals at the monster, the Blacklake blocked the more important spots, taking the glancing wounds like they were insects. /That's all we were to her./

The Blacklake leapt flinging herself into the air like she was catapulted, Falcor and a few others kept firing until she was no longer seen.

Leshen was pressing his hands on Jace's chest, "O'liya! Give me light! Give me the light! I need to-"

"Leshen." Blissful O'liya said, "I'm sorry but he's gone, there is nothing we can do for him."

1