Chapter 15 – Authority
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lotef

Lotef woke with a fulfilling yawn, craning her neck as she lifted herself from her mattress. "Good morning my little Collar." She said, running her hand down his spine. She was greeted with a soft purr, his twin tails coiling around her hand. She checked the time, the little minx woke her an hour earlier. "Was this why Overseer Agatha's plan all along?" Lotef cooed running her hand under his chin, the purr she got back was more than worth it.

Overseer Agatha had always disliked how she'd woke a hair's width before her shift. No, Overseer Agatha expected you to wake up and get there thirty minutes ahead of time and wait for things to begin. "I guess I'll be able to wake Midnight for once." She said between yawns, stretching herself out of her bed.

Lotef stumbled into the basement of her weald. It was cramped, dry, and dark. Most notably to Lotef, it was small. About half the size of her own living space. Not counting the hall she had to stumble through that had connected them.

Midnight slept at the center on her knees, bound to her pillory. Lotef casually made her way to the slumbering genie. It was far too early to fret over a genie ripping her throat out. Besides she was taken with Collar surveying a new unexplored area of his domain. It also helped that said genie couldn't leave without Lotef or a lantern holder of high enough rank. Lotef held her lantern out and willed the pillory to release the genie. Midnight slipped free and flopped to the floor, not that that stopped her from rising up as demurely as possible. Small jolts of amber lightning traced her body, it was how a genie relaxed their stiff muscles after spending a whole night bound in the pillory.

"Mistress?" She said, looking up at Lotef confused. Usually, it was she who woke Lotef, she had made that an order preferring the genie's method to Meloketh's idea of waking someone up. "Oh, Mistress! I'm sorry, I did not mean to oversleep. Please I-,"

"Midnight, enough. You have done nothing wrong." Handling her was getting tiresome if Midnight was a tad late—or matron forbid, Lotef had stirred awake on her own. Midnight would begin begging, pleading, and scrambling to suggest multiple punishments to make amends. Lotef noticed lashing was always skipped over.

"Breakfast," Lotef said, cutting her genie off just as she suggested walking around the camp on her knees. "I would like you to make me breakfast and a saucer of milk for our new guest." She brushed her finger against his forehead.

"Yes, Mistress."

One thing Lotef was certain about Midnight, she was an amazing cook. The genie had a way of making even the most mundane meals phenomenal. She played with Collar, letting him chase a leaf. The entire time Midnight battered against a bowl until the eggs got fluffy. Lotef was still convinced it was some kind of apostasy she was more than willing to forgive.

"Midnight. Did you ever want to be a cook?" She asked, placing another forkful of egg in her mouth.

"I do not remember..." Midnight said, holding the now empty sphere containing her meal. Was it cruel to eat her breakfast in front of Midnight, while that mush was all she was allowed to eat?

Lotef winced, once again she had forgotten Midnight's particular bane. She would not remember anything before her judgment. Lotef could negate the bane if she wanted. Well, in theory, she could. Not that she would try, returning Midnight's memories would have caused nothing but trouble.

"Do you remember your time as a larva?"

"No." She said after a moment of hesitation. No, she certainly didn't want to help Midnight regain her memories after hearing that. It meant she was an apostate as a larva.

"You did a good job when you patched that man up last night." Lotef said, between chomping her toast. Obviously, she would never act so slovenly in pleasant company, not counting Collar of course.

"Thank you, mistress."

"Did you know that before you were made a jinn?"

"My memory mistress, I can't recall much of my past life." Lotef's lantern did not react. It would detect lies, but it kept quiet in the face of half-truths.

"You will not avoid my question Midnight. Now you're going to answer again if it's not a clear one. You'll probably replace the beacons for everyone else this morning." Lotef said, brushing her fingers against her lantern.

Midnight went pale; Lotef wasn't going to follow through on the threat obviously. Midnight needed to be honest with her, she didn't need to be honest with Midnight.

"I did not need to learn after my memories were taken." Her bane didn't rob her of any aptitude she learned, she had explained. Maybe learning medicine was the reason she became a jinn? Lotef heard of stupider crimes.

"I want you to stop by here at lunch to give Midnight another saucer." Lotef said, pushing Midnight away as she attempted to help Lotef dress herself.

"Mistress, do you think leaving Collar behind is a good idea?"

"I'm sorry, I must have been mistaken, you see I thought I was the enjinseer and you were the genie. Here let me get you your lantern-"

"No Mistress! Please forgive me! It was presumptuous of me to make such a stupid suggestion."

"Good."

...

Roland

"Ok, which one of you jips pissed off the mane?" Mouth said, falling face-first on the floor. "I mean abortion, I thought I was going to die twenty times over."

"My leaves would be on Rebel." Rook said, his brother's arm wrapped around his neck.

"That would be... A safe bet." Key said, the way he hung on his brother, he acted like he had been shot up, which in fairness he was. He did take the lion share of coal in the practice drill.

They had been worked to the brink, from drills to maneuvers to hard labor, the most intense consisting of setting an entire network of fences throughout half the camp, it would have been just the barracks. That was... until Mouth was dumb enough to ask why would they even need a fence

"No kidding." Bigs followed up, with that stupid grin on his face.

"I didn't do nothing." Roland said throwing the weights off his shoulders. He rolled his shoulder trying to get the strain out of his arm. If they didn't want to hurt they shouldn't have joined the lott. "I hear the gothels are still taking offerings if it's really too much for you Mouth."

That got a few chuckles from the boys,

Jips finally caught up with the group after lagging out of sight, weakly he seized one of the filled flasks and downed the contents. "What's the matter blanc? A bit of work too much of a new experience for you?" He said as if he wasn't wheezing on the floor.

"Matron," Gin said, falling to the floor, tossing his boots off, and he began scratching at his feet. "All I know is my feet are still killing me."

Three chanters far enough to not be a problem but still too close, wrestled. Tumbling over each other for some kind of bone.

"Maybe it was that warden?" Gin said, for some reason, he wouldn't shut up about her, "I mean that can't be normal right? She was really creepy with those genies."

The single female chanter of the group got the upper hand, pulling the bone free to gnaw on, for all of five seconds. The other two worked together tackling her to the ground, that allegiance ended the moment the bone, maybe it was a stick? Flew out of her hands, making its way closer to their fence.

"Jinn." Leaf said pouring a flask of water over his head, getting a look from the rest of the lott. "She was creepy with those jinn."

"All jinn are creepy Gin," Roland said, keeping his eye on the chanters racing to their prize if they so much as graze that fence... "Remember that."

Mouth lifted from the floor, the new conversation invigorating him, "Yeah, she had three of them with her! Three! Isn't that like against the rules or something?"

"First it was only two, and second. A Warden can have more than one, most blissfully only keep one with them." /One too many, honestly./

"How'd you come to know so much about Wardens Rebel, considering... Y'know."

"Don't bother." Bigs said, "You'd a better chance, getting the overseer to smile than learn anything more than Rebels name."

Once again the baton—he decided it was a baton—flipped out of their hands and flung over the fence. All three chanters made a mad dash, attempting to run through the fence arms extending as if they could actually reach that stupid toy.

"Get!" Roland said, grabbing a few rocks and throwing them at the group, after the third rock they began running like crazy.

"One day you're going to push those little guys too far."

"I doubt it." Roland said, chanters tended to be more cowardly than goblins.

"Matron's mercy Gin, give me your foot," Leaf said sitting beside the jip and slapping on his lap. Gen awkwardly lifted his foot, Leaf slipped the boot off and gave his foot a look. "Yep."

"What's wrong?" Roland asked, it had to be something bad, Leaf had pulled one of the many pairs of gloves he had on him.

"Blisters," Leaf answered, running his finger down Gin's foot, paying no mind to his wailing. "Pretty bad too. How long has this been a problem?"

"Since... Before the march." That got some unflattering remarks from the rest of the lott, Leaf stayed silent showing the professionalism expected of a chaplain. Until he scraped the sole of Gin's foot again.

"What's the big deal!" Gin said, pulling his foot free from Leaf's grip. "It's just a few blisters, they'll heal."

"Between the marching or the exercises?" Roland said, casually taking the boot off the floor before Gin could reach it.

Gin opened his mouth, then closed it looking away, "I got some salve that will fix you up." Leaf said.

"When's the last time you replaced these boots?"

"Replaced?" Matron, watch this child. "Don't give me that look! I haven't even gotten the chance to req one." That got more chuckling from the boys, "What?"

"Alright lay off the cub a bit," Right, of course, he wouldn't know. "I'll get them if you show him." He said, to Bigs, who responded with a nod. "C'mon Jip."

Jip nearly choked on his water, "Why me?"

"Shut up and get up already."

...

The requisitions line expanded long and far, coiled around the camp like a snake. Men from different lotts all suffering in solidarity beneath an uncaring sun.

Jesters put on shows nearby, a balm for the monotony of waiting for hours on end. This time they were putting on March of Midnight, a story about a band who rose up and haunted the nightmares only to end up consumed by the creatures themselves. Gentry played the band, while the humans were dressed in makeup marking them as the nightmares.

In one ear he enjoyed the melody of the show, in the other, he was serenaded by Jip's endless grumbling and cursing, calling him taxing would be an understatement.

By the time they reached the front, the show had entered its final act for the fifth time. The Marchers were now played by humans as well as they acted out being consumed by the men and women painted as nightmares.

"What is it you need this time Roland." Gentry Gideon said, looking at the sheet in front of him. The words written were gibberish to Roland, as they should be for any self-respecting person.

"Boots." He said, slipping a palm full of leaves on the table, stamping his chart ring on the space next to number 103, taking the order slip.

"In the need for supplies Lottman?" Roland forced himself to not cringe outwardly at that voice even when filtered through her rebreather. /Matron was she following him?/

"Ever is the critical eye of the enjinseer." Roland said, Jip boring a hole in the back of his head. "How may I serve." He forced out, it not to get that jip from staring at him so hard.

"Nothing, I just wanted to warn you."

"Warn me of what?"

"Lioness-, Numen Ellen might want a word with you."

"Convictions," Roland said, getting the wince he expected from her. "What would she want from me?" He didn't tell her secret, he had been done with the whole ordeal the night it was over.

Lotef let out a shrug, a long exaggerated one. "That is between you and your lott. Just letting you know what I'd heard among the grapevine." Abortion, she was really trying to push this on him?

"It wasn't me or my lott." It was only he and Leaf who knew.

"Just making certain."

"Then I will not take up any more of your time, enjinseer."

"What are you requisitioning?"

"Equipment."

"So soon? I seem to recall you in line at least five days earlier."

"Abortion, are you following me?" Luminous Lotef blushed, good maybe she should mind her own business.

"D-don't make this about me lottman!" She hissed, stomping towards Gentry Gideon, pressing her hand on the charter. "Which number is he?"

Gideon glanced towards Roland before looking at her again, he fought the urge to nod, that would only get him in more trouble with the Enjinseer most likely. "103, Ma'am."

"With all due respect Luminous, you flaunting your genie isn't a good idea, especially with the men most likely to die to them."

"Midnight, take a few steps back." The genie did exactly that and took a few steps back. /At least she wasn't going to read it./ Roland thought for all of three seconds until she summoned that aborted poppet. "So much effort for gum?"

"What can I say, I like gum."

"Well, I will work with Gentry Gideon personally and make certain you get your gum. Lottman." He forced a smile to match that condescending eye grin.

"Hey, Gideon-"

"Gentry Gideon." Aborted woman.

"Go ahead and add some boots as well." Roland said, a noticeable tension fading from the gentry. /Don't be too relieved I'm going to get my leaves back./

"Yours seem in fine order."

"Always good to have a spare ma'am."

"And if I looked up your registry, I would find only one pair of boots in your possession?"

"Better to have and not need, right?" Jip said, only to cower under Luminous Lotef's gaze.

"I guess that's a fitting belief coming from you lottman." Behind them, "I've taken more than enough of your time, enjoy your day."

...

Lotef

The nerve of that man! Bad enough he mouths off to her, but now he's skimming the charter. She knew allowing those markets would lead to this, relying on leaves was a bad idea! "Is everything ok Mistress?" Midnight asked trailing behind her.

/Breathe./ She was being ridiculous letting a single lottman get to her. Stalking him, he should be happy he had someone like her keeping an eye on him.

She had more important matters anyhow, she had a meeting to go to, and she had to admit she was a tad nervous, it would be the first time she would get to meet all of her colleagues. She hoped they were less like Enjinseer Eija, Luminous Jamie, or Koket. It's not like they were bad, ok Koket seemed pretty bad, but the others were just a little too... strong in personality. She'd prefer more easy-going people like... Overseer Agatha?

Regal Mable! She was someone who seemed mild-mannered enough, Lotef sighed and made her way to the overseer's weald. Calling it her weald was a bit presumptuous, she had an office within the weald, along with Noblesse Julius, Rapunzel Chell, and anyone else responsible for more work than Lotef would ever want on her hands.

People shuffled past her, no one even sparing a moment to salute her, or more importantly, give Midnight that cautious look too many people with free time on their hands happened to give.

"I have a meeting with the Overseer, I was wondering could you put my genie to work."

The clerk sitting at the front lifted up, she had a vacant look like helping Lotef was such a burden. She put down her magazine, making a point to fold where she was at, and looked Lotef up and down, flashing her deep black eyes. "You're allowed to take your majin in with you, Luminous."

"I just would prefer her not to be a distraction."

The clerk rolled her eyes, she actually rolled her eyes! The nerve! "I think I can find something for her if you really require it."

"Yes, I would appreciate it very much." Lotef said, pulling off her rebreather, she flashed the gentry the tightest smile she could. She moved her authority over Midnight to the free weighted lantern, "Behave." She said, looking Midnight in the visor.

"Your wish is my command." Midnight said bowing her head forward.

...

Lotef always felt overwhelmed when she entered the overseer's quarters, halfjin working to maintain hallways. Overseer Agatha disliked wasting the time of the gentry and tried to use them as little as possible.

Lotef made her way past the masks, tracing her fingers against the wall, each one a trophy wrested from the possession of a powerful necromancer. Each one had been broken, the masks splintered looking like a pieced-together jigsaw puzzle.

Was it really alright to leave these weapons out in the open, even if they had been broken? Would a fragment be enough for the right person to use their power? Lotef shivered at the thought, and yet...

["A mirror most true; broken and left to languish within a fragile cage. You could accomplish so much if only you reached for what was rightly yours."]

Lotef should have been horrified, her hand was pressed against the glass case holding the mask. Instead, she was... Content. Why was she content? She would be lying if she said they hadn't interested her in some morbid way. /Why should I be afraid?/ She found herself thinking.

Like their previous owners, they now posed no threat. Whatever allowed their horrid powers to function, broken and made inert. Lotef still had no idea how they worked, other than any necromancer who wore one was nothing but trouble. A sting against the back of her hand, caused Lotef to pull away.

"Enough," G724 said, after slapping her, slapping her! "You know the mistress don't like her prizes being touched, and I'm not to have more work made for me." She said wiping the glass case with a wet cloth.

["This creature does not know its place, make it pay."]

Lotef nearly stuck her tongue out, it was hard to stay mature with a person who had and was allowed to play gothel for you for so long. "You have to stop doing that G724, I can't let you get away with that anymore."

G724 crossed her arms, fixing her a gaze, she was just daring Lotef to punish her. Lotef crossed her arms and produced her own disgruntled scoff. "I do not have time for this." Lotef said, turning away. She was not going to dignify giving that genie's grin a look.

"I will never understand her interest in those trinkets." Lotef turned on her heels so fast she almost fell.

"Gothel Ruby." Lotef said, attempting to sound as elegant as she should be.

"I take it you're adjusting kindly?"

"More or less." Lotef said, why did that answer feel like such a lie?

"Do you collect them as well?"

"Of course not!"

Gothel Ruby shrugged, "I've seen the overseer lose herself looking at them from time to time. There's nothing wrong with it."

"There isn't? I mean there isn't. How much did you... see by the way?"

"The whole thing." Great... It's not like needed more people to see her as an empty-headed child. "I take it you're finally allowed to sit in the meeting?"

Lotef nodded, "Any advice?"

"If it's anything like my meetings, just pay attention and be respectful."

Lotef nodded. Attention and respect, she could do that and more.

...

Lotef sat patiently, apparently only five enjinseers had arrived so far; chairs three, four, eight, herself, and... Koket. Why did he have to be here?

"You still avoiding your genie?" He said, nursing a glass of wine.

"I happen to believe she should be more of use helping people, instead of standing right behind me like an ornament."

Koket made a noncommittal grunt, leaning on his chair arm. "Might want to work on that scowl." Abortion, she hated not having her rebreather on, she was so... easy to read. "Where's your fauna?"

"I left Collar home, not that it's any of your business."

"Left it at home did you?" He said, flashing a crooked smile. "She's not a-"

"I know exactly what a Kokori is for and how to handle one thank you very much."

Koket scowled, opening his mouth, before stopping himself, and he smiled again.

Lotef waited anxiously, draining only a single glass of wine. Opposed to Koket who was on his fifth so far. Somehow he still didn't look inebriated in the slightest. The wait was getting to her, what would this meeting be about? It would be the first meeting among the enjinseers, her first real meeting, the last one didn't count.

She was allowed to enter at the tail end of the meeting and introduce herself, she felt like a pig being shown off at the market. She spent her entire brief visit keeping herself from vomiting in front of everyone.

That was then, now she didn't worry about that, no she was worried about more pressing matters. Like not saying anything that would get her those 'who is this little girl and how did she wander out of her gothel's watch?' looks.

"You're not harassing our new recruit are you Enjinseer Koket?" She was so slim and so tall. Her gaze was appraising, but Lotef felt no judgment behind it.

"Of course not, Luminous Usha." Koket said, sounding somewhat... respectful wasn't the right word, not for Koket. Meeker?

"Good." She said, before turning her attention back to Lotef, "I regret that I was unable to make time for you. We'll have to rectify that later." Wait, Luminous Usha? The same Luminous Usha who-

"You take care of the Nymhide!" Lotef regretted that the moment the words left her mouth. She snapped her hands against her mouth as if that could take the words back. She noticed the others passing a few cautious and curious glances, so much for good first impressions.

Luminous Usha appeared unbothered by the outburst thankfully. "You're the one Judgement keeps sneaking out to see." She said, running her hand through her hair.

Lotef flushed, "I didn't mean to cause you more work." She noticed Koket rolling his eyes. "I can tell Judgement to stop if that would-"

"Do you think the beast would be able to get free if Luminous Usha didn't allow it?" Koket said, leaning on his hand in a bored posture.

He shuffled away the moment Luminous Usha shot him a glance, before returning back to their conversation. "Nonsense, he looks forward to your visits." She said with a smile that reached her cheeks. "We have to make certain to nourish that enthusiasm, right?"

Lotef nodded, trying to find the proper words, she couldn't look like an idiot.

Luckily she didn't get a chance to make a bigger fool of herself. Overseer Agatha walked in and what murmur of what conversation existed faded in an instant. "Agatha, your morning was pleasing I hope?" Luminous Usha said, paying Lotef no more mind.

["Don't walk away from us you cow!"]

Lotef sat up straighter, she was just relieved not to have the opportunity to say something stupid. A look around showed everyone appeared to be on their best behavior. Luminous Jamie turned away from his genie making a concentrated effort not to spare a single glance towards her, Enjinseer Eija... was still nowhere to be seen.

"It pleases me to see most of my enjinseers know how to be punctual." Overseer Agatha said looking at Enjinseer Eija's empty chair. "Enjinseer Lotef, could you get the panel running?"

Lotef went cold, get the panel running, the only way she would be able to manipulate the floratech at the center was if she had a pixcee... Or a fauna. Lotef flushed, she wanted to die. She had to fight from sinking into her chair.

"Overseer allow me to handle it instead, otherwise we'll be here all day."

Overseer Agatha fixed Koket a sharp look, Lotef felt her stomach squirm just from being caught in the crossfire. "I believe I said I wanted Jyoto to handle the presentation."

"But I don't want to be here all day while the new girl fumble and try and get her pet in order." He held his hand out, and the bangle on his right arm, sprung to life, a kokori cat leapt from the bangle on his shoulder.

Unlike Collar, she had a sinister edge to her, much sharper features, and her eyes a deep red that glowed slightly. Not like how a genie's eyes gleamed, but more like an animal's would at night. She was no doubt much older than Collar, looking more like a fox than a cat. Her body had a more floral look to it Like she was encased within a suit of arbor armor.

She—Lotef could always tell the gender of the older ones—stood with an air of authority Lotef felt might have been a bit too much. Not that she could be entirely blamed, after all, she only had Koket as a role model.

"We will speak on this later." Overseer Agatha said, Koket pointed and his fauna leapt on the panel at the center. The large flower opened, revealing a fist-sized gem at the center. Light emerged revealing a map of the land. Lotef could see the point where they were, leading all the way to the border separating the Lion clan and the Feather clan.

"I will try and make this brief." Overseer Agatha said, looking towards the crowd.

It was not brief, Lotef was certain she slipped from consciousness at one point or another. Luckily no one seemed to notice, or at least were courteous enough not to call her out. She did wipe a bit of drool from the corner of her mouth, but other than that she felt she had done well. The overall conversation or what Lotef was awake for consisted of; the overall journey, the path the Rapunzels had charted, what days the enjins would need to be pushed and the few days they could get some semblance of rest. Lotef wanted to argue for a less grueling schedule but figured she would wait until she had the overseer in private.

"You are dismissed." Overseer Agatha said, Lotef leapt to her feet she moved so hastily that she found herself yawning."Koket, Lotef. I want you to stay." Lotef swallowed, she felt lightheaded, what could she say to get out of this?

Koket stood unmarred by the call out, at least she assumed he was, he still wore that scowl. The eighth chair, she was certain his name was Kayson, shoulder-checked him on the way out. "You seem to be popular." Lotef said, shriveling up meekly when he turned to her. The fear of him sending his genie to attack her nearly made her wretch.

"Wait in my office, now." Overseer Agatha said from behind her, Lotef rushed before she made the overseer any angrier; moving so fast she nearly tripped on herself.

Overseer Agatha's office was just as overwhelming as the last time she was here, she couldn't pin what made her more anxious. Waiting for the overseer's return, or dreading the moment Overseer Agatha returns. She still didn't have an answer the moment Overseer Agatha's door clicked and dragged open, she only sat firmer and was proud she hadn't cried.

Midnight made her way into the office, Collar resting peacefully in her arms, it irritated Lotef more than she cared to admit. "What are you doing here!" Lotef hissed, her rebreather clicked firmly as she slapped it on her nose. Oh, that felt so much better, she was naked without her rebreather on.

"I requested her enjinseer." Overseer Agatha said, trailing behind Midnight. She presented her lantern and Lotef followed suit, reclaiming her authority over Midnight. "I was certain I made it clear to your majin the importance of your fauna."

"No! It wasn't her fault, she tried to tell me, but I gave her words no mind."

"I see. Starting tomorrow, you will have to do without your majin for a week." Lotef forced herself to contain her excitement. A week without Midnight invading her space, a week to get to know Collar? She might have to be a tad disobedient more often if this was the 'punishment.'

"I did not hand you a pet, you must keep your kokori on you at all times." Overseer Agatha continued.

"Yes ma'am." Lotef nodded, taking an intense interest in her boots, she held her hand out, allowing Collar to leap on her arm and meld with her bangle. "G122, you will be working hard labor with Eluketh until you are returned to your mistress."

Midnight looked as bad as Lotef felt as she forced a meek, "Yes mistress."

No, no, no. That wasn't fair at all. "Overseer, It was my mistake." Lotef forced herself to continue even while she bore the overseer's unpleased gaze. "You shouldn't-"

"Enjinseer Lotef, G122 is no longer in your possession, is she not?"

"No..." Lotef said, fully aware of the gravity of her punishment now.

"Good, then you are dismissed."

...

Each step felt heavy, why was she feeling so guilty? She didn't stick the stupid genie with that monster. Besides if it was so important why didn't Midnight insist on letting her know. /And be disobedient? Convictions, this is really all her fault!/

Midnight stayed quiet, keeping two paces behind her as if she was Lotef's shadow. She was completely silent, not a single 'What is your wish mistress?' Or other such nonsense. It was getting unbearable. "I'm sorry, ok."

Midnight stopped, looking at Lotef with the most confused expression she had ever seen the genie produce. "I am sorry mistress. Please forgive me for not apologizing earlier. Please forgive me for not letting you kn-"

"No! I don't want an apology, I am the one apologizing."

Once again that insufferable confused look, "Why are you apologizing?" What kind of question was that? Could she really not understand?

"Getting you in trouble."

"Oh no mistress, it was my fault, had I only been clearer before your edict this would have never happened."

Lotef did not know what to say, how could she respond to that?

...

Roland

Roland nursed his mug slowly, a good number of men from both of his Lioness' lotts laughed and drank what felt like gallons. His lott wasn't the only one here. He could make out men from Lioness Oka's lott, Lioness Likota's lott, Lioness Nerissa's lott, and Lioness Melissa's lott.

The Last Leaf was one of the many bars within the warcamp, this one catering to lottmen especially served exclusively to men. If the extensive selection of brandy, whisky, and hard liquors weren't enough of a draw the escape from their long-haired task mistress was another sirens call most men could not ignore.

The Last Leaf always saw business, but it became especially packed on leaveend, the time when a block of lotts were collectively scheduled not to be needed for a bit. The lott was a constant string of work, day after day until the higher-ups tossed them a bone and gave them a set time where nothing was expected of them. After three months straight of marching, drills, and labor. Rapunzel Lylou had finally daned to grant them three uninterrupted days of rest and relaxation.

Gentry Ambrosia sat at the center, playing a song Roland didn't know with what he assumed was a lute maybe? The tone was good, something he could and did beat his foot to. This was what he needed, he had trouble joining in the merriment, but being around it did more than wonders for him.

Leaf seemed to be here looking more after his partisan, than enjoying himself. Matron, he needed to learn to loosen up. Bigs and Rutabaga were trying to drink one another under the table, the prohibition did not extend to the gentry of course. Mouth jumped between dancing with waitress and man, anyone he could get his hands on, really.

"Lizza, top these boys off." Lady Kanna said, she wore two expensive-looking necklaces. Her ruby smile never reached the cheeks of her supple round face. Full lips and fuller chest, she was the matron of the last leaf, and no doubt the main draw of the establishment. Most establishments fought to get as many ladies, women who have dedicated themselves to the multiple forms of entertainment. But not many could boast of being run by one who entertained the wryd council of Cazmagar. "I heard you got into a little spat with the overseer's girl."

And just like that, Roland kissed away any hopes of relaxing today. "Spat, the girl's smitten with him." Bigs said, slamming his mug on the table, snatching another, and tossing it back.

"Just give up, you're not going to beat her and I'm not getting you anymore mellowmush." Mellowmush was known to cure hangovers, lottmen were given a generous supply when on leaveend.

"No! I-I can drink thish, Panty!"

"Pansy." Leaf corrected, setting himself back to his seat, once again he took a sip of his own mug.

"That close?" Lady Kanna asked.

"Like stink on a hog." Bigs said.

"I've heard of worst matches." She said with a shrug, she spoke with a husky cadence, how could someone speak so deeply, yet sound so feminine.

"There is no match." He couldn't think of the worst people he'd want to spend his life with.

"I don't know, she asked for Rebel to guard her personally," Leaf said, an arm wrapped around Rutabaga's shoulder.

"Could we talk about anything than that woman?" Roland said, talking about her was beginning to grate on him.

Everyone went to a screeching halt when someone made their way through the door. "Don't mind me," At that familiar voice Roland turned his head. "Don't stop on my account." Draped in armor, his helm taking the shape of a beast, the grand enchanter himself, Eluketh.

"No trouble." Lady Kanna said, to the entire table, though she was glaring intently at Roland. She made her way away from the table, approaching the genie. Aborted woman, she was going to get herself hurt.

Roland made to stop her only for Bigs to grasp him on the shoulder. "I believe she told us to stay put." He said, "Besides he can do nothing." Bigs said, pointing to the lamp holder trailing behind Eluketh.

"What do you want?" She said, making her way to stop the genie from making his way further into the bar. Luckily a sensible group of men grabbed her before she could get any closer.

"Merely a drink." He said, strolling further in, his minder following closely after him. She was a mousy-looking girl who seemed like she could barely handle an amputated hound let alone the grand enchanter.

"Go somewhere else, you're not welcome here."

Eluketh shrugged, "I believe I fulfill all the requirements, I am a man after all." He said, taking a chair for himself. "A member of the fairer sex also holds my leash, we're practically one in the same."

Lady Kanna looked at one of her serving girls with a nod, snatching the mug from the girl as she fetched the drink. "Here." She said, slamming the mug on the table some of it's contents flying out.

"You are too kind." Eluketh said, downing the entire mug slamming it back on the table. "Like the nectar of the matron herself!" He said, "I'll have another."

Lady Kanna looked to his minder, she looked away apologetically. /So much for his leash./

"I would buy one for her as well, but I would not want to break your rules. After all rules are important."

With a sigh, Lady Kanna turned her attention to another girl, "What are you waiting for, get him another." The girl nodded, and made her way to fetch another.

"I'm so rude, so busy enjoying myself, I had forgotten my place. An entire round for everyone on me! We all will drink like kings tonight!"

No one moved, everyone stayed quiet. "And how are you going to afford all of this?" Lady Kanna said, hands on her hips.

"Oh, I'll requisition it on the full authority of the overseer of course."

"Eluketh," His handler piped up, finally. "You can't-, she'll-"

"Minders should be seen and not heard." Eluketh said, swishing the contents of his mug, "Go ahead and get these men something to wet their whistle. C'mon, we don't have all day."

Still nobody moved, "Well? What are you waiting for! I want everyone here drunk and merry!" He said, slamming his fist on the table, utensils clattered. "Is your overseer's word no good!?"

"I don't see the overseer around here." Roland said, the aborted genie looking past Lady Kanna, too look at him.

"Ah! So your kind can speak without your Lioness to guide you." He said, making his way toward Roland's table. "I was looking for someone to share a drink with, Joya is a horrible conversationalist. Can't trust people forced to hang out with you."

"I don't know, my lott were all forced together and we seem to get along thick as thieves."

"Even the blanc?" Eluketh said, looking disgustedly at Jip.

"Blanc or not, he's not wearing a leash. Genie."

Even through his visor, Roland could see the hatred on the grand enchanter's face. The Grand Enchanter seized Roland lifting both of them from their seats. "You have a interesting way with words, worm."

"Get your pet under control, warden." Roland said, taking a solid grasp at the genie's arm.

Eluketh cackled, "I'm afraid poor Joya will not step in unless I make things unfair, if you know what a mean." His lips curved into a toothy smile. Matron, this was him without any power?

Roland pulled his knife from its holster, in that case, he'll make him let him go.

"Put him down, now." A voice said, making her way into the bar. "Now Eluketh!" Abortion, it was her of all people. Her and her psychopathic genie, behind her.

He had no doubt she was stalking him now.

"But Enjinseer, he pulled a knife on me." Eluketh said, seizing Roland's wrist.

"I don't see a knife." Luminous Lotef said, looking unamused at the whole scene. Roland was more than able to put the blade back before Eluketh took his hand. "Put. Him. Down. Now."

With what could only be described as a growl Eluketh let Roland fall to the floor. "Your wish is my-"

"Save it." Luminous Lotef said, turning her gaze to Minder Joya, why was her genie hiding behind her? "What happened?"

Minder Joya explained the short interaction peppering it with more apologies than Roland could count. If she was really sorry, she would have stopped this before it began.

"On behalf of the overseer you have my apologies." Luminous Lotef said to Lady Kanna.

"No harm." Lady Kanna shrugged pulling her hair back.

"Minder, please look after Midnight... Treat her right, she's had a rough night." Luminous Lotef said they held their lanterns to one another, then Luminous Lotef made her exit.

"Yes, Luminous." Gentle Joya said.

Luminous Lotef left taking Eluketh with her.

When they got out of sight, Gentle Joya fell on a seat, her feet unable to keep her upright. "Matron that was close." She said, taking a mug and downing it entirely only to go wide eye the moment she realized what happened. "Abortion! I'm sorry, I didn't, I wasn't thinking-"

"Relax child." Lady Kanna said, patting her on the back, "I know I'd be breaking etiquette left and right if I had to be saddled with... that."

"You could have helped us." Roland said, running his fingers against his neck. Matron, he could still feel the bastard's grip on his throat.

"And you should have stayed out of it and let me handle it. Honestly men, no wonder you need a lioness to keep you in check. If not for your enjinseer, you could have ended up with more than a broken neck."

"She's not my enjinseer." Roland said, abortion he would have to nip this in the bud before it blossomed.

"Yeah, that's her." Rutabaga said, with an "Mhm" from Leaf, followed by a casual nod from Jip.

"Not bad a bit mousy, but you could probably handle mousy." Lady Kanna said, pouring Gentle Joya a proper glass.

"You had wine?" Rutabaga said like a whimpering child.

"You want wine go to Rajah." She said Gentry Rajah ran one of the clubs within the preservation in the camp. It excluded humans altogether which was why Rutabaga refused to go at all. Putting the bottle on a tray and shooing one of the waitresses to put it up.

...

Lotef

"How can I be of service to you, Enjinseer." He said so casually, any other genie would have been pleading for mercy by now.

"You were in the wrong." Lotef could not keep the disgust out of her voice, all of her current problems could be laid at his feet. It was his fault she was saddled with Midnight, it was his fault Midnight was so meek and too eager to please. It was his fault she was so angry she was shaking.

["You can make him pay, it would be so easy."She said, walking at Lotef's other side.

"I was merely getting myself a drink, is it wrong for a man to find little pleasures between his obligations?"

"You are not a man." Lotef said, "You should already know, you spend most of the time instilling that fact into the other genie, do you not?"

She noticed Eluketh clench his teeth, trying far too hard to look unfazed, at any other time, she would have wanted to be anywhere but here with this man. But for whatever reason she didn't feel any of that. She didn't have room to fear, so overwhelmed by the emotions she was currently feeling.

"You wound me Enjinseer. But you must admit, it is a bit harsh to compare me to those creatures. Besides I did no wrong, I am allowed my levity as well, it was those who denied me my due that you should show your ire."

"And using the overseer's influence to get free drinks?"

He shrugged, "I have been told I lacked a certain charisma, I figured this would be the best way to... break the ice, as they say."

"Like you nearly broke that lottman's bones?"

"He pulled a knife on me." This again, the lottman was a little busy trying to keep himself from suffocating. Now he expected her to believe the moron was able to pull a knife and put it back before having one or both of his wrists snapped.

"If he did pull one on you, it's what you get for being so... eager."

"Enjinseer, I feel we might have gotten on the wrong foot. I promise you I am a valuable person to have as a friend." A friend Lotef fought not to laugh. "You are new, and I believe you will need allies. Especially with the problems that already weighed on you."

"And what problems are those?" Lotef banished what little fear attempted to creep in with her contempt. /There's no way he knew, could he?/

["If he did, kill him. It's not like he'd be missed."]

"You not being worthy of your station, it is obvious to everyone that you are a pet of the overseer. A mere fancy, the tenth chair isn't needed, not really. But we are marching to war, and war tends to have... accidents occur. Anger those beneath you and they might hesitate when your life was on the line." He continued when Lotef didn't respond, the fool had confused her fury with terror.

["Is it any wonder? You have posed as a mouse for far too long... Can you even spread your wings and take flight again?"]

"Yes, thank about it, we are of two hands, you hold the carrot and I brandish the stick. Both important, both have their roles. But there is a question that drives debate for ages." Oh, he was a philosopher now? "What is more important, the stick or the carrot?" Lotef stayed silent. "Give a creature a carrot every day, and it will get slack, lazy, and dare I say, complacent. But bring a beast up with only a stick, and it will remain weak, broken, compliant, and most importantly... Fearful."

"What is your point." Lotef nearly choked on each word.

"No point, just a mild rumination, say a herd of horses need to be broken. Two groomsmen must work together, one armed with a riding crop, the other a carrot. The crop much larger, than the almost child-sized carrot." He put scornful pressure on the word child. "Pretty soon, both groomsmen set up a routine and get the horses in working order, until one day they both give the herd contradictory orders. When threatened with pain or offered a small pittance a beast will always leap to avoid pain."

She laughed, and Lotef laughed with her, it was contemptible to the point of being a cackle. "You think me a frightened cub, Eluketh?" Before he could answer, she cut him off, "You think to threaten me?"

"I was merely providing perspective. I would hate to have you die because a jinn mistook you for weak."

"And yet you talk around your point. I'll say it before you waste more of my time. If I figure right you are going to use whatever you can to get the other jinn against me. Little things, I'm certain they'll add up. But let's be honest, that's not the most important. What's important is how dangerous things will be. It would be a shame if a genie hesitates a tad too long leaving me for dead. Was that the point of your useless story?"

"I-,"

"You will be silent! I think there is wisdom in your words." Lotef said, the grand enchanter attempting to hide that stupid grin of his, a thin line of teeth barely visible.

This was far enough, the only things that surrounded them were the crickets and nocturnal birds. Lotef let Her lash him, "I have been far too soft, it has led so many misguided jinn to think they can get away with anything when talking with me. Mocking, condescending, let's not forget you just threatened me."

She lashed him, she lashed him over and over and over. It took five too knock him to his knees. She kept the lashing up until she felt it matched what Midnight would have to go through.

"Mistress I-"

"You thought you could get away with this? Thought I would cower meekly? Maybe plead for you to leave me alone? Oh, I'm certain you had something ready for if I ran to Overseer Agatha. You wouldn't be stupid enough to make this threat without covering yourself on that front, would you?" He stood silent, "Answer me!" Lotef spat, lashing him painfully.

"I-"

"I ordered you, be silent!" She lashed him again, another chuckle escaping her when he looked up at him with nothing but pure hatred. "I think you are right, two contradictory orders tend to get messy."

Lotef lashed him once again, his screams tuned out, and any kind of pity she had for the man scuffed away at his previous actions. He was the reason she was stuck with Midnight, he was the reason her authority was challenged, he was the reason she felt so guilty! He did nothing but caused trouble for everyone. He was the reason for her strife!

"Listen... Eluketh." Lotef said, crouching down to meet his gaze, "Midnight is going to be in your care for the next week. You're going to be as gentle as a pup with her, if I feel you've treated her unjustly I'll take you for another walk once again. Are we clear?"

"Yes..." He said, more a feral growl than anything else.

"Good." Lotef said, lashing him once again, "Because if I hear of even a single hair pulled out of place unnecessarily." She lashed him again, "This will otherwise this will look like a stroll on the beach to what I will do."

Lotef proceeded to show him the barometer of pain, spending half the night hearing him scream. Lotef kept lashing until his screams no longer amused Her, and even then she lashed him for another good half an hour. It was going to be a pain to get up in the morning, but this was worth it.

0