Chapter 22 – Nightwave
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lotef

["Will you listen to me, girl."] Not Philistine demanded, she honestly sounded insulted, good. ["You can't keep this up, you're going to have to get something in you."]

"You are not my mother." She said with a whisper. 

["Matron thank that's not the case."]

As much as Lotef hated to admit she did have a point, recently she'd been unable to sleep.  Weirdly enough Not Philistine wasn't the root cause of her recent insomnia.

'Honeysuckle. Her name was Honeysuckle.' Gentry Komari's words cut deeper than anything Not Philistine could muster.

["You should put her out of your mind, what of it if you couldn't remember the name of one eldritch? I need you to focus on more important matters, lose the goodwill of your benefactor and we will be left hanging."]

/As compassionate as always.../ Lotef ignored the pings of hunger, it was ridiculous how she was now tiptoeing around her own genie. Midnight had been going crazy, large banquet-like placements. Ever since that night, she left her with Mercy. Midnight had to keep telling her multiple times just to make one plate. Otherwise, she'd have to choke herself on meals made for three at least. Even Collar was getting fed up, the poor baby now kept away from the table out of fear of being fed leftovers. 

Maybe she could get another bun from Oric, maybe even get him to take her stamp this time. 

The camp was active today, with people rushing to harry and gather crates. The whole atmosphere looked as she felt. She was having so much trouble finding the Overseer. And Melody made it sound like she needed her urgently. Why would that be? Did she do something wrong? Did she say something stupid? She probably broke etiquette with Gentry Komari no doubt. Was that why Overseer Agatha wanted to see her? Was that why everyone was rushing wildly? She had lost count of how many laps she had her thumb run. She assumed it was another horde alarm.

["I have to admit, I'm proud of you."] Lotef didn't take the compliment on the chest, it was funny how much easier it was to figure out the context of her comments from so little. Right here she was complementing Lotef on her composure during what looked like an alarm. She would have asked Not Philistine what was going on. But she had learned the creature was not omniscient, thank the matron for small miracles. 

Ever since joining the Mane Blossoms, she had encountered ten false alarms, three of them confirming minor bands of stragglers. It was tiring to get all worked just for nothing. Lotef was perfectly capable of doing that on her own, thank you very much. People may have been rushing like they were being fired upon, but the sirens weren't buzzing, so that was good.

Lotef made her way across the camp, men and women rushing past her, paying no attention. They might have not been under attack, but It must have been a big deal if they didn't even waste a moment to salute her. Lotef made her way all around the camp, from produce, to enjin wagons, to her office. She checked the nymhide pens three times, just to be certain. She avoided the jinn holding cells, for obvious reasons. Each time she was met with a variation of the same response. 'Sorry enjinseer, you missed her, I think she was heading...'

"If I have to hear that one more time I'll-" Her rant was cut off by a sharp meow. It wasn't Collar, he was unfortunately forced to stay in her bangle. She was not going to let him walk around with all the people rushing like chickens with their heads chopped off. 

Instead, it was a small chessboard-looking cat, her fur divided black and white. A red diamond on her right shoulder. "Hey there Fifty-two, gracing me with another visit." She said, scratching under the feline's chin.

Pulling a few treats from her jacket pocket, she allowed the Kokori to enjoy the spoils. She still had no idea who owned the little Kokori, but she was more than happy to pamper the cutie. 

"You wouldn't happen to know where Overseer Agatha is would you?" The Kokori purred, wrapping her two tails around Lotef's extended arm. With another meow she rushed off, leaping between flora-tech. Lotef shrugged, it's not like she had anything to lose following her.

Following the kokori paid off, she found Overseer Agatha at the barracks. She and Luminous Morric were engaged in a pointed conversation, what else was new? Lotef slowed her approach she did not want to walk into whatever was happening. Maybe she could help tune up the flora for a while and wait for them to cool down.

Regal Nu sat on a crate, his feet kicked up, his thumb lazily tracing against her spine. Did Fifty-Two belong to him? She seemed pretty easygoing around him. But Fifty-Two was probably easy going around everyone now that she had a moment to think about it. Lotef took her rebeather off placing it to her side.

Luminous Morric pointed right towards Lotef, she fought to keep her knees from buckling. Matron were they arguing about her!?! With a flourish, his pixcee went fluttering in the direction, right past her. Lotef sighed her fears away, pings of jealousy still fresh. Why couldn't she have such a whimsical creature?

["I could offer you so much better if only you-"]

Her eyes met with Overseer Agatha's, abortion! No use trying to hide now. "You called for me Overseer?" Lotef asked with a salute. Only then noticing Koket sitting at the corner harassing a poor genie about something.

"One moment," Overseer Agatha said with a nod, before turning to Luminous Morric, "You have your orders." He gave a belated nod before taking his leave, flashing Lotef a smile on his way out, what a chin... Honestly, why did Overseer Agatha and him get into so many arguments? "Enjinseer?" What kind of question was that? There was obviously a tension neither of them wanted to address. Knowing the two of them, they were too oblivious to even notice it. Lioness—even ex Lioness—were known to be as stubbornly ignorant as men on subjects they should have known better about. Yeah, that would make sense, Overseer Agatha could be a bit abrasive, and Luminous Morric was a bit too proud, even for a man. She hoped it worked out between them maybe she could-, "Lotef."

"Yes ma'am!" Lotef nodded, snapping her attention back to her stone-faced master, her cheeks so hot it could work in place of a cinderback. She refused to look over to Koket, seeing that smirk he no doubt wore would have pushed her to make a bigger fool of herself.

["He's not even looking at you."]

"Report." Without hesitation, Lotef reported what she was doing before she was abruptly interrupted and told to walk around the entire camp. Making certain not to let her previous thoughts spill out from her report.

"A nightwave is approaching," Agatha said, Lotef's stomach twisted at those words, "We need to prepare, I'm going to need you both at your best. Koket you will be working with Usha, and Lotef I'll have you with Ejia, follow their orders and be timely."

"Yes ma'am." Both said in sync, as Koket rushed out of sight, snapping at a genie, to follow. Lotef looked towards Overseer Agatha, looking back at the exit pondering where Luminous Ejia would be at this time. A nightwave!? She had nearly forgotten about those... She noticed Not Philistine standing at the corner, her arms crossed. They had made some progress, but could she trust her when that came? Maybe she could keep Midnight locked up at the jinn holding cell.

Not Philistine always got worse during a nightwave, even when she was sheltered by the Elden in Cazmagar. The only time she had a reprieve from her harassment was when-

She got a chill the moment she noticed both Overseer Agatha and Regal Nu's gazes fixed upon her. Flushing a light pink Lotef convinced herself to leave, only to find Regal Nu blocking her path. He flashed her a smile, she could get lost in those violet eyes, they were like twin pairs of amethyst... or lepidolite whichever ones were darker.

"I want you to make your way to Luminous Maggie for shelter," No! She couldn't be with anyone during a nightwave! Overseer Agatha should have known that more than anyone! "She is worried her weald will lose its connection to She Who Morns With Laughter's shelter."

"I bet." Regal Nu said, he raised his hands and smiled when Overseer Agatha shot him a glare. 

["But why us?"] Not Philistine hissed, why was she getting all upset? She was the reason Lotef was worrying about all of this!

"Everyone else is preoccupied with other situations," It was uncanny how Overseer Agatha was able to respond so accurately. It even put Not Philistine on her back feet. Lotef still had no idea if Overseer Agatha could hear when the monster spoke and she had no intention of learning any time soon.    

"You do not need to worry, you have my word she will not comment on anything particular that might happen," Agatha added, Lotef gripped her left wrist, looking to Regal Nu. Who showed no sign of curiosity at the Overseer's words, had he known as well? She wanted to fumble for her rebreather, but that would probably break etiquette with Regal Nu. "Keep her company, and she knows if she lays a finger on you, I will lop off her limbs."

/Lays a finger on me?/ Was Overseer Agatha sending her to someone violent? Lotef was aware Overseer Agatha was attempting to make her feel better, it only made her head hurt, what reason would this Maggie have to harm her?

["It would be what you deserve after all."]

Regal Nu threw his arms around Lotef's shoulder, snapping her rebreather on her chin. Breathing became much easier, the incense within her rebreather still good, this time it was... Honeysuckle.

"Yes ma'am..." She forced, barely able to perform the salute properly.

"You are dismissed, Ejia should be at Princess' pen." Lotef batted her eyes, she didn't expect to be allowed near Princess for a while. Was this some kind of apology? 

...

Lotef fought the urge to rush the entire way, that wouldn't look proper for an enjinseer after all. Unfortunately, that gave her thoughts a chance to monopolize on that time. She removed the incense from her filter the moment she got a chance. It would probably take some time before she would use that again. 

She attempted to take her mind off of everything by enjoying the sights, but the camp emitted an anxious energy. People struggling to clear out of camp, the gentry running a count of the people, registering where they will be staying. 

A gothel running drills with a ring of children, carefully and clearly they walked in a line, making their way to one of the wealds grown to act as a common room.

Lioness yelling at their Lott to place lanterns and blossoms. Jinn corralled chanters who normally were allowed to roam around the campgrounds. Now they were being guided into cells to keep them from becoming a meal for the approaching nightmares. 

Koket was audible from halfway across the camp, obviously harassing some poor soul beneath him. A few lotts, obviously off duty, loitered off the beaten path and fried that awful junk they called food for their breaks. Lotef doubted the Philistine himself could stop a lottman from eating his meal.

Lotef never considered how empty the place looked without the vendors and shows. All of which forced to pack up until the nightwave had passed. Peculiarly, the lack of food aromas from other vendors only made her hungrier.  

"Why?"

["You're going to have to be more specific girl."] Not Philistine said, taking particular interest in a lottman who had his shirt off. Honestly, did she have no shame at all?

Lotef rolled her eyes, honestly, she was certain Not Philistine was deliberately being dense. "Why didn't you ever go crazy when I was with Eva?"

["What a ridiculous question."] She actually looked insulted. 

"Should I expect a ridiculous answer?"

Not Philistine crossed her arms, ["I was not needed obviously."

Lotef chose to end the conversation there, she was certainly telling her she was never needed or wanted was not advised. The former would certainly be counted as a lie, while the latter would probably encourage her to appear more than she have been recently.   

Making her way towards Princess' pen, Lotef heard the tail end of the Hymn;

/Like a beacon shine, be our light within the night,

Be our light within the night!/

Blossoms placed throughout the camp sprung to life in response to the hymns of the leafseers, they would help extend She Who Morns With Laughter's reach. Giving her an easier time keeping the nightmares at bay.

Her blue hair fluttered in the wind, leading her toward the pen. Following the breeze, she made her way toward the sectioned-off pen. Princess was the first to grab her attention, Lotef's fear was smothered by her awe, she had to get closer. 

She forced herself to stop staring at Princess for long enough to look for Enjinseer Eija. She was nowhere to be found, which was expected. It would have been surprising if Eija was around when you wanted her.  

Lotef spent a good minute looking for Enjinseer Eija, only sparing occasional glances at Princess, before giving up and letting the beauty take her undivided attention once again. 

Bizarrely Princess looked placated, it was a pleasant surprise to know she could behave herself. It was giving up that allowed her to find Enjinseer Eija ironically, her superior was admiring Princess as well. She was getting a good look standing right beneath the golem's massive hammer fist!

Lotef was at a loss for words, what would possess her to be there of all places!?! Enjinseer Eija stood casually scraping the grime off Princess' fist without a care in the world.   

Lotef stood unmoving, fearing her own fidgeting would be enough to aggravate Princess. All the while Enjinseer Eija continued to file at grime. Every slight movement the golem made was enough to make Lotef cringe. Dreading the possibility of her superior becoming a pancake. 

Enjinseer Eija looked like she didn't have a care in the world... Was she humming? An oversize pile of stone threatened to crush her and she was humming? 

"Bizarre isn't it?" Lotef nodded before noticing the person beside her. Being someone she recognized did not make it any less stressful.  

Gentry Ne'etah pulled Lotef in between the crook of her shoulders, Lotef just accepted the Gentry's warm embrace. She did not trust herself with what was certainly becoming an adrenaline overdose. Finally, after what felt like way too long a pause, Lotef spared a nod.

"I know, how can someone be so happy working with someone who hates them so much?" Gentry Ne'etah said, keeping a tight grasp on her like she was certain Lotef was going to run away if she didn't.

["You wouldn't?"] That wasn't the point! It was still uncalled for, she had no need for a gothel to keep an eye on her.

"Oh hey!" Luminous Ejia howled waving without a care in the world, the golem who was recently content with Luminous Ejia, loosed a unsettling howl at the sight of both Lotef and Gentry Ne'etah.

"Ejia! For the Matron's mercy are you looking to get yourself killed!" It all just spilled out of Lotef, like she was watching her body being puppeted on its own. Princess did not take kindly to Lotef's words, slamming her hammer-like fist she made a crater, between the two groups. 

"Oh, looks like she likes you as well..." Gentry Ne'etah said gleefully, freeing her grip from Lotef to rush towards her golem. Without a care in the world, she leaped over the matted portion of the ground.

Enjinseer Eija whispered a few parting words before casually strolling out of Princess' private pen. She doddled like she didn't have her back to a wild animal in body armor, and bizarrely... Princess didn't pay her any mind.

She was far too busy attempting to crush Gentry Ne'etah, who avoided the golem's attempt to crush her. Giggling the entire time, which only seemed to goad the golem even more.

"Let's get this place Nightmare proof." Enjinseer Ejia said jovially, blissfully unconcerned with getting caught in the crossfire. Leaping over the fence, her genie helping her maintain her balance. Lotef nodded and kept pace after her superior, who cradled her genie's arm like a lover.

"Where's Midnight?" Enjinseer Eija asked turning to give Lotef a look. 

"Oh I sent her to help with the chanters, she's really good with them." Lotef said, it had nothing to do with placating her moody genie. Not at all. 

Not Philistine sat on the fence, shooting Enjinseer Eija the meanest glare. Whenever she left Lotef's sight, she appeared further ahead on the fence. Still shooting the meanest glare she could. 

"Philistine got your ear?" That got a yip out of Lotef as she was brought back to reality.  

"What?" Lotef asked going into a cold sweat.

"You just seemed so lost in thought, I figured something's bothering you, what's up?"

Lotef furrowed her brow before sighing, keeping in step with Luminous Ejia's playful skipping. "I'm sorry for yelling at you, it was out of line." 

Luminous Ejia looked at her confused before letting out a cackling laugh. "Is that what's bothering you? Save the rank and pompousness for others, though you might want to give your arm a break unless you're aiming for a new one."

Matron! How long had she been squeezing at her arm? Hopefully feeling would return before she had to actually work. "Honestly I thought you would be more worried with Maggie." Lotef went pale at the mention of Luminous Maggie.

"Y-you know about that?"

Luminous Ejia nodded, "Though I expected she'd have a little more tact, give you bit longer before pulling you into her lair." Lotef forced herself to relax, this was good. She could learn about this Luminous Maggie.

"I'm a bit nervous... She sounds a bit... violent."

"She's an argent, violence is their bread and butter." An argent knight? Overseer Agatha stuck her with an argent knight? Those people were so... unreliable. "Would you like some advice? One Enjinseer to another?"

"Yes." Lotef said, feeling the need to purge her stomach.

"No matter what she says," Lotef could have sworn she heard Luminous Eija's voice crack, "She doesn't mean any of it, just make sure not to take anything seriously." She looked Lotef in the eye with a bright smile.

"Kind of like Koket?"

"Oh matron no, I don't think Koket even comprehends what a joke is."

"The man is unbearable." Knuckles interjected the genie's naked audacity continued to throw Lotef for a loop.

Unlike many places, the interior portions of the golem pen did not need many blossoms. Considering any nightmare stupid enough to get near a golem would not be a problem for long. The bigger issue was the nightmares breaking the floratech keeping Princess locked up. Multiple mechanisms kept her from breaking free. Lotef was able to make out three of them, last she appraised the security. 

After suring up Princess' pen, Lotef and Ejia made their way into the first of many wagons they were assigned to make ready for the nightwave. Two rows of five held within their capsules, mouths gagged, eyes barred by black-tinted visors Lotef took five and let Enjinseer Eija take the other five.

"Rest yourself, frolic across the lands beyond." Lotef whispered in the barrowed tongue, the enjin slowly halting what little struggle it was managing. She and Ejia repeated this action until all ten genies rested gently.

Next after making sure each and every genie was asleep, Lotef released the manacles from the chains used to keep them in their capsules. /Never remove the manacles./ A lesson ingrained into every enjinseer. 

 Lotef pulled the genie out of his capsule far enough to reveal the branch lined against his back. The long tree-bark-looking strip that ran across the spine. It was further evidence that jinn were not like her and Eija. A branch was necessary for each genie, working together with their collars they allowed a genie to be controlled properly.

Lotef took a vine from the wall and let it snap against the branch on the genie's spine. Listening for the satisfying click of vine connecting to the branch before doing anything else. That sound became a source of comfort to Lotef, a sign she could move on and not be mauled by one of her charges. Finally, she made sure to reattach the manacles to their chains allowing the genie to keep themselves positioned properly.

She and Enjinseer Eija were setting the jinn up to produce a special frequency, a sound that nightmares found repulsive. If enough jinn were placed in a single place, they could even ward nightmares away. It was Lotef and Enjinseer Eija's job to make certain they were all properly hooked up to the wagon and make certain it was set to produce the proper frequency.

Lotef and Enjinseer Eija repeated the process until all ten were hooked to the wagon, on the third wagon did Lotef finally muster the nerve to ask. "Honestly that's not what was bothering me." Lotef took a cautionary look at Not Philistine, who narrowed her eyes. She didn't go wild when Lotef lied to others, but she also did not like it when Lotef lied at all. "How is it you were able to behave that way around the golem?"

"Princess," Luminous Ejia corrected, her hand brushing beneath an enjin's chin, slowly cooing to him as the hymn forced him to sleep. "She has a name after all." It was so weird having Luminous Eija of all people caring about etiquette, for golems no less.

"Right, Princess... How were you able to keep it from harming you, the only person I know capable of that was Overseer Agatha." At the mention of the Overseer, all the genies shuffled slightly. The one Luminous Ejia was comforting wriggled like a fish hanging at the mercy of a hook. Even Knuckles who stood arms crossed at the entrance, quivered at the mention of the Overseer.

Lotef lowered her head and blushed at Luminous Ejia's gaze, it wasn't anger like Koket, or that special brand of disappointment associated with Overseer Agatha. Whatever it was Lotef wanted to avoid it as much as she wanted to avoid the other two.

Ejia hummed until she got the enjin to calm down, before turning towards Lotef with another firm smile. "No way, I'm nothing like that woman, matron she's an aborted force of nature."

"And you're not?" Lotef retorted, recalling her absence of fear or anything as she tended to the golem.

"I'm just a person." She shrugged, gesturing to Knuckles who left the room. Lotef placed her hands on her hips, giving her superior a glare neither of them expected she could. "Fine, Fine. If I had to guess, I'd have to say maybe it's because I respect her?"

"I don't think there's a person here who doesn't respect her." It didn't really make sense, Princess didn't appear to like Gentry Ne'etah, what was the difference?

"No most people tend to fear Princess, I mean it's understandable, she can crush you without a second thought, and that would be all. But,"

Lotef rose her brow, there was no but, that was kind of the problem, it was even more upsetting when you factored Princess was one of the more well-behaved golems.

"People need to remember they are animals, pulled from their life and made to fight for us. Unlike most animals, they end up having trouble understanding the realities of our world. Imagine if you not only couldn't understand anything, but your own instincts only proved to fail you at every turn."

["You don't need to imagine that one."]

Lotef hadn't even considered that, she knew golems needed emerald knights to guide them, else they ended up being a liability. But thinking of it like that... Matron.

"It still doesn't explain why she hates Gentry Ne'etah..." Something didn't line up, "If it's really like you said, why is it-"

"She."

"Right, why is she constantly attacking her Knight?"

Ejia shrugged, "I would not presume to understand the mindset of the Matron's children."

...

Lotef was beat, she slumped back to her home, she hadn't even realized how dark it had gotten. Midnight kept to her left, Not Philistine on her right. Both were concerningly silent, why was that more upsetting than either talking?

"Would it be presumptuous of me to ask if you'd like a meal prepared mistress?" She still had that edge in her voice. Lotef was going to need to find a way to correct that before it got out of hand.

"Just something light." Lotef said, she could not afford to have the genie use half her fridge every single meal.

Her weald's door peeled open and she was greeted by a figure already sitting at her table. "Nice place you got here." She said, leaning on Lotef's chair.

"Gentry Ne'etah!" Lotef said, swallowing her fear, how did she get in her weald? "What do I owe this visit?"

"Just thought I'd give the new enjinseer a glance, without the other prying eyes."

"I hope you're getting a good glance?" Lotef said, holding off the more pressing question at the forefront of her mind. /How did you get into my weald?/

"Good so far." /So far?/ "I brought a gift." She said, holding a bottle in the air. "After you put your... thing up." She said, shooting a disgusted look at Midnight.

Lotef swallowed the order to fetch some glasses, "I wouldn't want to be a bad host."

"Pfft! The etiquette always rubbed me the wrong way, just go and get that thing out of the way and then we can have some fun."

Lotef quickly locked up Midnight, putting her asleep with the hymn of resting. Quickly making her way back to the kitchen.

Gentry Ne'etah jumped up the moment Lotef made her way back, matron did she take too long? "'Bout time, C'mon! C'mon! Get yourself a seat!" Lotef took a moment to glance at the chair Gentry Ne'etah sat on.

["Our chair!"]

"Oh? Am I sitting in your chair?" She said, teasingly kicking it up on its back hind legs. The tone reminding her of Eva. /Matron sends she's alright./

"Y-yeah... That's my chair." Lotef said weakly, "B-but you can use it right now."

"Nonsense, I refuse to take from someone in her own home." Gentry Ne'etah said leaping from her chair as dramatically as possible. Pulling it out waiting for Lotef to sit before taking the guest chair for herself.

"Now." Gentry Ne'etah said, uncorking the bottle, Lotef finally had a chance to get a glance at the vintage.

"Gentry! I can't- I mean it's far too extravagant for me-,"

"No." Gentry Ne'etah said, her tone growing harsher, "I will not hear of that, you are going to enjoy this with me."

Lotef slowly took the bottle and forced herself to take a sip. It was somehow sweet, and sour together. Both flavors clashed against one another like they were competing with each other.

"Good isn't it?" She said, snatching the bottle and taking a pull, a relieved sigh escaping her maw.

"Yes... It was, thank you for the taste."

"Taste? I'm going to give you more than a taste!" She said, sliding the bottle to Lotef. Lotef shuffled to grab the bottle. Gentry Ne'etah laughed at the affair, making a part of Lotef want to let it spill.

"B-but I couldn't Gentry Ne'etah, I-"

"You can also stop with the Gentry, it's just the two of us."

"I-I can't I-" She couldn't, breaking the etiquette like that she couldn't recover from that if-,

"Hey, calm down I didn't mean to-, Look... you don't have to drink or call me whatever you want. I-, I just want to..." She sighed, she spoke something to herself in the old tongue. The burrowed tongue allowed Lotef to understand a bit of what she was saying. Something about a longtooth needing someone to put it in its place. "I just want to get to know you."

Lotef looked her in her jet-black eyes, she expected disgust or even disdain. Instead, she found... hurt. Lotef winced like she took a slap to the face, taking a bottle she forced herself to take another gulp. This time it was glazed with a slight nectar-like taste, Gentry Ne'etah's backwash no doubt. Another reason she wanted to use the glasses.

"You, You don't have to drink it for my sake Lo...Tef."

["Is she kidding?"] Not Philistine hissed like a beast, ["This stuff is golden! You refuse and I'll-"]

Lotef snatched the bottle and chugged a sizable amount before coughing like crazy, matron she felt it in her nose.

Gentry Ne'etah laughed taking the bottle and throwing back a good portion. "Aghhh." She said, the two passed the bottle between one another until it was empty.

...

Lotef couldn't help but smile, her stomach felt as light as her head, but in a good way. Not Philistine was on the floor giggling like a child. She actually looked intoxicated, that couldn't be possible with half a bottle, could it? Maybe that would be a good way to keep Not Philistine off her back. /That's just what I need, another vice./ She was already getting a reputation as a huffer.

"I need something to anchor me." Gentry Ne'etah said, "Mind getting some water?"

Lotef nodded, getting to her feet and making her way to the kitchen, she couldn't help but sway on her way. What was she thinking? Being so worried. Gentry Ne'etah is obviously a trustworthy person.

"When she said you had problems she was not wrong." Gentry Ne'etah said, standing behind Lotef, when did she get out of the chair?

"Problems?" She? She couldn't mean Overseer Agatha, could she? If she told this gentry it must have been for a reason. Wouldn't it?

["She better. If we go down she goes down with us."] Not Philistine said, was she attempting to reassure her?

"You talk with yourself a lot when you think no one is looking. You tend to lash out, violently from what I've seen. Though you hide it well, you appear flighty and distracted constantly. She's kept this between the two of you long enough, it's time I take matters into my own hands."

["Kill her! No one else is around, gut her and blame it on the jinn!"]

"P-please!" Lotef said hoarsely, "I'm sorry, you don't need to-" Her eyes clenched tightly her back pressed to the wall.

"You don't need to be sorry." Her fingers pressed against Lotef's cheeks, "None of this is your fault, my Mora."

Lotef opened her eyes greeted by the sight of utter serene and calm. For a brief moment, she felt she had found an oasis. "You do not need to worry, I am here for you."

"Y-You... Are?" Lotef asked, feeling dizzy.

"Yes." She said, pulling her into a hug, "I've been keeping an eye on you, ever since you fell."

Lotef winced, "I'm sorry." The thought of making an emerald knight waste her time on her...

"None of that." Gentry Ne'etah snapped, "No one ordered me to look after you. I did it, and I'd happily do it again."

Lotef could hear the lie, Overseer Agatha no doubt had her look after Lotef it was obvious. "W-why?" Lotef asked.

"Because..." She said, matron did she look flustered? "I'm looking for a partisan."

...

"P-Partisan?" The words were heavy on her tongue. What kind of response was that? How could Lotef say anything but yes?

["But would that be right to her?"] Not Philistine said, sitting on Lotef's chair, ["She could do soo much better."]

Lotef opened her mouth to answer, but nothing came out.

"You don't need to rush." Gentry Ne'etah said, even though she attempted to hide the hurt she felt from the hesitation. "I kind of did just spring all of this on you, take your time." She took the glass from her hand and drained the water. "I'll be here."

Lotef breathed a sigh of relief, that came out of nowhere, she still had no idea how this all fit in, Gentry Ne'etah appeared trustworthy... Hopefully. The emerald Knight had demonstrated relying on her being harmless was a foolish hope at best.

But how could Lotef not expect this to be some kind of trick? It was far too good to be anything but one.

"You know don't you?"

Gentry Ne'etah tilted her head, "Mo-, Lotef... I'm going to be straight with you. All I know is you went through something traumatic, nothing more. As much as I would like to know more, your secrets are your own. I hope I can be someone worthy of that trust one day, whenever it comes."

Not Philistine grabbed her right arm, she didn't have any physical force to stop Lotef, but it was a good way to remind her not to reach for her left wrist. ["She's obviously trying to get something out of us."] Not Philistine said, shooting a hateful glare at Gentry Ne'etah.

Her heart felt like it would leap out of her chest, should she tell her? As much as Not Philistine used 'we' and 'us' She did not control Lotef. No one did, and no one ever would. Lotef swallowed, took a deep breath, and readied her answer.

A knock on the front brought Lotef back to her current situation. "Expecting someone?" Gentry Ne'etah asked.

"Not at this time of night." Lotef said, maybe she could get Midnight and-

Gentry Ne'etah pulled her sword from the corner, the jade blade gleamed in the gentle room light. Making her way between Lotef and the exit she gesture her head and nodded.

"Who is it?" Lotef said.

"It's Orange." She kind of sounded like Gentry Orange, not that Lotef could tell from the door between them. "Could I have a moment of your time?"

Gentry Ne'etah looked at Lotef for permission, why was she looking at her for that? Lotef returned a blink stare, she didn't know how to respond to this!

Gentry Ne'etah shook her head fondly before stabbing her blade at the side. Lotef winced at the new wound in her home. She opened the door revealing a shocked Gentry Orange.

"Ne'etah. S-sister" She said swallowing, "I didn't know you were occupied."

"No, you are not interrupting anything, is she Lotef?"

"N-no! Of course not." Lotef said, quickly making her way to the kitchen, "I'll make you some glasses. Just let me know when you're finished."

Gentry Orange looked at Gentry Ne'etah who shrugged, "Lotef, she clearly wishes to speak with you."

"Me?" What could she have to speak with Lotef about?

"Yes." Gentry Orange confirmed, holding her arm. "But I'll come back when you're not as busy."

"Nonsense, I'm certain Gentry Ne'etah doesn't mind, right?" She couldn't handle this alone, she couldn't even comprehend what Gentry Orange could have to talk with her about.

"Not at all, come in sister. I'm certain we can find a solution to whatever plagues your mind."

Gentry Orange slowly made her way toward the chair Gentry Ne'etah had used. Lotef nearly fell out of her seat when Gentry Ne'etah joined them at the table. Her being on the table wasn't what got her. Most gentry had a form that could manage on a table just fine.

It was the form she currently presented, a small little cat with a black diamond on her back shoulder. /She was Fifty-two?/ Why didn't she lead with that? Did it slip her mind?

"Speak sister." Gentry Ne'etah said, the sound leaving the collar around her neck.

"Do you know... What happened to Gentle Nakya?"

"Drop the Gentle, Sister." Gentry Ne'etah said.

"Yes, I have heard," Lotef said, She wish she knew a little less on the subject if she was being honest. "You don't need to worry she will not be able to harm you-"

"No! I mean... I wanted to tell you she's innocent. What went down wasn't her fault. I was there I can-"

"You are wasting your time sister," Gentry Ne'etah interjected, "She was already judged and found guilty."

"Then that means it's a mistrial." Gentry Orange exclaimed, latching on to what little hope she could grasp at. "Can't we do anything-"

"Trust me sister, there was nothing amiss with her trial."

"No! I'm tired of pretending she did wrong!" Gentry Orange slammed her fist on the table.

"Careful not to damage what you don't own." Gentry Ne'etah said, stretching her neck. She was one to talk!

"No offense sister but Honeysuckle was told multiple times not to rummage around in the floratech. It was already a tragedy losing a sister so close, why should we only fuel hostility any further."

"That's not what it means, you wouldn't mind explaining it would you Lotef?"

"A judgment isn't just for the crime she was accused of, but the whole breadth of crimes they have committed. The fact that Nakya was found guilty means she hid something far worse than what she was accused of."

"What did she hide?" Gentry Orange said.

"What?"

"What crime did she hide to make her one of them?" She said, pointing towards the basement Midnight was held in.

"Mind that curiosity." Gentry Ne'etah said.

"You don't know do you?" Gentry Orange said.

"Gentry Komari will figure that out in due time." Gentry Ne'etah reassured, Lotef struggled to maintain her composure.

"She's the one who got Nakya in this mess!" Gentry Orange leapt out of her seat, nearly toppling it on the floor.

"I would have you not scaring my friend, sister." Gentry Ne'etah said, Lotef was hoping to hide the slight cowering

"Sorry." Gentry Orange said.

"No problem." Lotef forced trying to present some form of composure.

Gentry Orange began slouching, the poor thing looked more like she would unravel into a bundle of twigs and leaves at any moment. "Why does it matter so much to you anyway?" It came out before Lotef could even realize what she was saying.

"What was all that about curiosity?" Lotef took that like a slap in the face, Gentry Ne'etah retorted with a hiss. "Sorry. She's just been... Nice is all. It's not right that she has to suffer for that girl's foolishness."

"'That girl' is your sister," Gentry Ne'etah interjected. "And you will show her respect. You need to maintain a firmer grasp on your emotions if you hope to become a knight." Gentry Orange an emerald knight? Lotef couldn't even fathom.

"Of course sister." Gentry Orange said.

"I'll talk with Overseer Agatha on it." That got a look from Gentry Ne'etah.

"You will?" Gentry Orange perked up.

"I can't promise it will do anything-"

"Anything is better than nothing."

They continued with a bit of small talk, thankfully it was nowhere near as contentious as their previous conversations. Convictions thank little miracles. Lotef saw Gentry Orange out, sighing the moment she knew she was out of sight.

"Leading her around a little too much are we?" Gentry Ne'etah said, leaning on the guest chair, whatever formality she adopted with Gentry Orange extinguished completely. Slouching on her chair with emerald blade at the side.

"It won't hurt to reassure her that things might get better. Hope can be helpful when needed."

Following conversations thankfully became more carefree in nature. Casual conversations about things that blissfully had no meaning. From which was better carrots or corn, Gentry Ne'etah chose wrong with corn. To favorite season, she was at least correct on that one with spring.

Lotef was fine with these conversations they were much more preferable to their previous subjects, hopefully, they could stay this casual.

"So... I guess that ribbon's pretty special?" Gentry Ne'etah said, "A gift from Agatha?"

Lotef shook her head, "My brother... And sister."

"You have siblings?"She said, sounding more excited about that than Lotef would expect someone would be.

Lotef nodded, "A brother in Cazmagar," Lotef kept hidden the fact he had a... abortion, she would probably be five right now, wouldn't she? "You've probably met my sister..."

"Oh? She works around here?"

Lotef nodded, "Yeah... She goes by... Mileva." She braced for a reaction, Lotef was aware how pungent Eva's reputation was, it was best not to advertise their 'relation' until she got back.

"You're not making this easy are you?" Gentry Ne'etah said with a sigh.

"It tends to be a bad habit of mine."

"Least I'm getting someone to counterbalance that brute. You've got to have a word with how she's been bullying my little Princess."

"I'll talk with her when she gets back."

"Kind of like how you'll 'talk with' Agatha?" Lotef winced, "You wouldn't lie to me my little partisan-to-be."

"Depends on if I can get away with it." Lotef said meekly, the look Gentry Ne'etah made Lotef want to die. Lotef make a quick apology but it was too late.

Gentry Ne'etah broke into a laugh, leaning on the table slightly. "It's nice to see the real you slip out."

Lotef slowly slinked behind the cup of water she held in both hands. The real her? How was that different than the real her? How much of that consisted of the thing leaning on the kitchen counter wearing her face?

"Maybe I give you a ride on Princess?"

"Sounds nice." The nightwave was approaching, and she still hadn't gotten Not Philistine's word on behaving.

"What's on your mind?"

"What?"

"You've obviously had a question or two you've been tiptoeing around, you don't need to worry I won't get angry."

Lotef contemplated, either she'd say it now, or she'd let it eat at her for maton knows how long. "How did you get in?" Lotef asked.

Gentry Ne'etah tilted her head, crossed her legs, and pointed to the ceiling. "A weald has multiple nooks and crannies, a girl can push past."

Lotef looked up and noticed the bark that made up the ceiling, great she could now worry about a gentry slipping into her home and doing who knows what in her sleep. Immediately she regretted that thought.

["It was one of the few sensible thought's you've had recently."]

"You don't need to worry about unwelcome guests. Getting inside requires more finesse than most are capable of."

Lotef let out an audible sigh followed by a blush at another of Gentry Ne'etah's string of laughter.

Lotef had no idea how long the two of them spent talking about any and everything. Just it was pitch dark when Gentry Ne'etah made her leave. Lotef tried to assure her it would be alright to stay, she worried about someone accosting the knight on her way back. That only goaded the knight into leaving more.

0