Chapter 283 – Night Meetings
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Demosthenes dumped a literal metric ton of truths on Yuki, he needed to decompress.  It was a lot to take in and he still needed to sort it all out.  There was so much that he told him that started to fill in some things in very unsettling ways.  The more that Yuki thought about the answers the more it made his past even more foreign to him.  It made him scared to think about it.

He needed a break from everything.  Even though he didn’t have Demosthenes as an escort, he still was required to have someone with him.  Which actually resulted in even more security and annoyances than less.  He wanted room to breathe, but it was impossible.

Parked out at a balcony, he stared down at the Palace grounds.  The view was pleasing enough for him.  ‘How many times did he come here to think or just to stare I wonder?’  Since their talk focused so heavily on his father, it was hard for him not to imagine him wherever he went.  However, since he didn’t know what he looked like he could only see shadows.  A form that might have been him.

Such thoughts painted new pictures.  A different image conjured in fears and expectations pulled at him.  Yuki didn’t foresee the revelations adding so many new burdens.  It weighed an indescribable amount.  At least that’s how he painted in his mind.  Yuki could only really pretend to know what it would be like.  It wasn’t like he ever had to carry that responsibility.  An entire nation, a whole people was too much for him to wrap his mind around.

Focusing on Momo, Saki and his brothers were more than enough for him to manage.  Four lives felt impossible at times.  The fake assassins certainly put into perspective the whole situation as he thought about it.  Thinking about the past, he learned how much they mattered to him.  Eudokia might have had a bad plan, but the importance of family came into sharp attention.

Everyday before she showed up had almost been a dream.  A carefully maintained canvas of mute colors that clashed in order to pretend to be brighter than they actually were.  It almost felt like a lie.  All of it could be a lie.

What had the year truly been for him?  Yuki forgot important things and discovered the heart of himself.  Was it thanks to her?  “I wouldn’t be here without her.  But is that enough?  She lied, betrayed and manipulated me.  And yet I can’t…  I think if it was the old me, I’d just punch her and call it a day.”

He leaned forward with the support of his hands on his chin.  “I really wouldn’t give it much more thought.  But I can’t do that anymore.  I have a responsibility now, right?  Mom, dad?  You knew all about this, what would have told me to do?”  Yuki turned to rest his back against the railing.  “If he hadn’t died would I be here anyway in a couple more years?  That was the plan right?  Everything he set up for me.”

The more that he thought about it, even to a degree his real father manipulated everything in his life as well.  It painted a complicated picture for him.  He couldn’t just brush it all over.  Lies and control.  That’s what it all came down to.  Did the motive truly matter to him?

Yuki crossed his arms glaring at the wall of the grand passage.  The Palace held age, history.  Her stories crafted a picture that he could almost relive of his father and her.  It was important enough to preserve even in death.  They both believed that, even the stiff did.  ‘What do those scared old men believe?  What’s even going to happen?  What is Atlantis’ future?  Is this truly living?’

Frustration started to pour into the crack of his mind.  Yuki turned back to look down at the court.  “Is this the question that you face, father?  Was this the only way?”

He dropped his face into his arms.  It only worked to a degree.  All the stresses and thoughts bubbled back up slowly.  “You had thirty years to think about this, I’ve got 3 days!”

Less than that.

“Not helping.”

Hours passed he was certain, but he stopped keeping track.  Just as he started to turn away, he caught a quick look at Saki and Rheia again with Yori close behind.  ‘What are they up to?’  He paused for a moment, but the guards all looked at him with suspicion.  So he couldn’t watch.

Everyone had something going on except for him.  Time continued to creep forward.  He had to come to a decision soon.

Chapter 283 – Night Meetings

The night before the execution came surprisingly fast.  No further visits were allowed to their friends, even with Demosthenes pulling strings.  They just had to live with the situation.  Plans moved around.  Everyone did something.

Saki was in a rush through the halls late at night.  She had Rheia with her following at her side, the standard escort.  None of them were allowed any freedom out of sight of the Atlanteans.  Saki understood their situation as well as any of them.  It made things a little awkward, but she made it work.

As she approached the hallway to their room, she noticed someone doing nervous circles around the hall.  It made her grin a little knowing pretty easily who it was.  “Mind waiting a little for me?”  She motioned to Rheia to give her a little room.

“Just remember the situation,” reminded Rheia as she backed off a little.

“I know.”  Once she had the space, Saki approached openly to the entrance of the room.  “Hey, Yumi!  You run any faster in circles, they're going to fine you for property damage.”

Partially embarrassed and half nervous and startled, Yumi came to an immediate stop.  “Saki!  I-I didn’t know you were still out.”  Her nerves were so shot that she couldn’t do anything to cover them.

Saki kept a smile on her face trying to keep things light.  The whole situation they were in gave them enough stress.  She already had a pretty good idea of what bothered Yumi.  “If you just hesitate you’re only going to regret things later.”

“What are you talking about?”

Turning to the door, behind which Yuki slept or maybe tossed around still trying to find a way out of their problem.  She stared at the door as though she was looking at Yuki rather than the wood.  “You need to make a decision about Yuki.  Just standing on the sidelines is never going to change things.”

The response made Yumi’s face turn bright red.  She ran around even faster around the hall that she started to blur.  Saki stopped her abruptly before it went too far.  “Saki!  H-ho-how…I-I…I…”

While the reaction fell within the expected results for Yumi, Saki still felt something off.  She knew as well as many that Yumi had a really bad crush on Yuki, the only one that didn’t seem to realize it was Yuki, which seemed very sad.  “Yumi, did something happen between you and Yuki?”

“Huh?”  Memories of her confession immediately made her head explode.  She wanted to pass out and just forget it all.  “W-w-why would you s-s-say that?”

‘Can you get any more obvious?’  It made Saki want to laugh watching Yumi’s flustered reaction.  She actually understood the feeling of wanting to tease someone acting so adorably.  “What happened Yumi?  What did Yuki say to you?”

“Nothing, of course!” she replied, jumping the gun on her answer.  It skipped all context, but shot straight to her problem.  Once she realized the slip, she tried to backpedal.  “I mean, nothing.  He didn’t do anything to me.”

Saki knew something was up and the embarrassed reaction only made her more certain of it.  “Just confess to him already,” she teased, succumbing to her impulses.  However, the reaction that she got from Yumi went beyond any sort of expectation.  She couldn’t get a word out and her face couldn’t get anymore red if it tried.  Then Saki realized what was wrong.  “You did, didn't you?  When?!”  Saki tried to think of when she had time.

“What!?  I didn’t!”  Unfortunately, Yumi did a really poor job convincing Saki.  The tone of her voice failed her.  She gave up quickly.  “You know how I said that I broke the brainwashing?”

“Yeah, you never said how you did it…wait?!  Seriously?!”  Saki immediately made all of the leaps needed to connect the dots.  “And Yuki doesn’t remember it, of course.  Yumi…you have the best and the worst timing.  I can’t imagine a better moment than that.”

She nodded in agreement.  “But I’ve accepted it.  But even when I’m around him I just start thinking about it.  I see him looking depressed as if he has the weight of the world on him the last two days and I can’t do anything for him.  I’m too afraid to even get near him.”

Saki sighed understanding, but also frustrated with her.  Grabbing Yumi by the shoulders, she pushed her towards the doors.  “I told you already that your place is there with him.”

“But…”  Yumi looked back at Saki, knowing how she watched out for him.

“I’m his shadow.  I’ll protect him at a distance, that’s my job.  I’m one that is allowed to fall into darkness, so long as he can remain in the light.”  Saki kicked the doors open into the main room that connected all of their rooms.  “I’m the one that kicks him to move forward when he falters.  You’re the one that catches him.  He needs that light and warmth right now that I can’t provide.  Be what I can’t be for him, Yumi.”

“But Saki, I can’t!”

“Hey, you already admitted to yourself how you feel.  Don’t hesitate now because it didn’t work out.  You made the first step, so keep taking those steps.  Grab onto some of that take charge attitude you’ve been showing off and go in there!  Yuki might be dense, but he’s not blind.  He’ll notice you.”

“Saki…”

“You said it yourself, he’s got the weight of the world on his shoulders right now.  Sometimes when that happens, another shoulder is all you need.  Start out simple, Yumi.”  Saki smiled encouragingly at her and shoved her into the room before closing the door.

Saki turned back to Rheia, who approached.  “Let’s go.”  Her expression quickly turned harsh.  ‘I’ll bare all the darkness for him…’

Inside the room, Yumi hesitated for a moment, but she pushed herself forward.  ‘Saki’s right.  I can’t just be worried about myself.  Yuki’s in a terrible place right now and he’s all alone.  I can’t be afraid of my feelings anymore…  I just need to act!’

Yumi knocked on the door to Yuki’s room.  “Yuki?  You awake?”  She pushed through the door, opening it just a crack.  “Yuki?”  Her head popped through the gap in search of him.

“Yumi?  You’re up late.”  He sat on the bed with a bunch of different images and lights hovering around him.  They immediately disappeared with a wave of his hand.

‘He must still be trying to find a solution…’  She smiled at him, stepping all the way into the room. “It seems I’m not the only one up late,” she tossed back playfully.

“Yeah…it’s hard to sleep thinking about tomorrow.”

Yumi walked over to the bed.  She stared at it for a moment.  In her mind, it had some heavy implications, but she tried to keep them from affecting her.  “You aren’t the only one.  We’re all wanting to do something.”

“I know, but I can’t help but see this as all my fault.  I dragged you guys all with me.”

“We made a choice.”  She knelt onto the bed and started to crawl over to him.  “We forced you to let us come with you, remember.”

“I could have said no.”

“You did,” she recalled.  “We wanted to help you.  We knew what we were getting ourselves into following you.”

“But I could have been more insistent.  I could—“

Yumi leaned her back up against his interrupting him.  It was the closest she could get him.  If she actually looked at him, she was certain that she would be too embarrassed to talk straight.  “We support you.  You aren’t doing this alone, Yuki.  We’re all here for you.  I’m here for you.”

“…Yumi…”  He leaned a little against Yumi feeling the warmth of her body.  There was something surprisingly calming about it.  “I know you are, that’s why I want to make sure everything works out.  I’m not abandoning any of you.”

“I know you won’t.  They know too.”  Even though they were just touching backs, Yumi felt like she could feel the tension knotting up in him.  He was just a massive chaotic ball of knots that tied themselves too tightly to come free with just his own hands.  “So what ideas do you have for tomorrow?”  She pushed him in a better direction, a productive one.  ‘If he keeps dwelling he’ll never get anywhere…’

Yuki activated his power again.  Everything that he was working on displayed around them.  “I’ve got no end of ideas.  Even simulations, though they don’t exactly have the most promising outcomes.”

“Start at the top and let’s go down them together.”

They quickly passed hours of the late night talking over plans.  Yumi encouraged him and helped to point out new ideas.  In the end, she pushed him in a direction.  It was a decision.

Yuki jerked awake, realizing that he had fallen asleep while they talked.  “Yumi?”  He looked around him to find her, but saw that she was asleep as well.  She looked too peaceful to interrupt.  Rather than wake her, he carefully slipped out of the bed.

“…Yuki…” whispered Yumi, startling Yuki.  She rolled over in her sleep towards him.  “You can do it, Yuki.”

He smiled softly at her.  “Thank you, Yumi.”  Brushing her hair back, he stared down at her.  He recognized that look all too well.  “I’m sorry, Yumi.  I really don’t remember it, but I can’t return your feelings right now.”  Even if he didn’t remember, the looks she gave him and the way she acted around him was too hard not to miss.  As Saki said, he wasn’t so blind as to be unaware of Yumi.  “I have some things I must do first before I can accept them.  I’m sorry for doing this to you.”

Things set, Yuki walked out of the room.  He walked out into the hallway looking around.  As expected, his escorts knew immediately when he left.  “Take me to the grave of the late King,” he ordered, as he approached them.

They all seemed a little confused by his request and reluctant to accept, but his insistence forced them.  A lengthy trip through the maze into the rear grounds brought them to the graveyard of all of the old Kings.

Yuki didn’t need the grave pointed out to him when he saw Demosthenes.  He waved off his escort pointing out his preference.  It wasn’t until he was actually next to the General that they gave up their role and departed.  “Quite the coincidence.  What were you doing?”

“Telling him about everything that’s happened.  I haven’t had the time to speak to him recently.”

Kneeling down before the grave, Yuki adjusted his position to get comfortable.  “He must be rolling in his grave from how far his plans have gone awry.”

“Perhaps, but even if everyone rejects her, he will still love her.”

“A father’s love…I don’t know if I’ll be able to forgive her, but I can understand a little now of what she was feeling.  I think she just didn’t want to be alone again.  He was the first one to accept her for who she was, everyone betrayed her or was afraid.  It’s rather sad thinking about it…”

“You may be right.”

Yuki closed his hands together in prayer.  He might not have ever known the man that was apparently his real father, but he felt like he still knew him from everything he heard.  Like many of them, he may have been a little misguided and narrow minded, but his heart was in the right place.  “Hey, old man.  I hear you’re my father.  Sort of hard to call someone you’ve never met Dad, but I’ll work on it.  I just wanted to let you know you’ve got a pain in the ass daughter and a stiff for a friend.”  Yuki smiled a little thinking about the stories he heard.  “But you already knew all of that.  I don’t know everything you’re planning, but I’ve made my own plans.  So hopefully everything works out.  But if not, I just want to let you know, despite everything I know, I’m glad to have been born.  Thanks.”

Demosthenes bowed politely to Yuki in thanks.  He looked a little relieved.  “Whatever your plan, my life is yours.”

“Stop with the honor bound sacrifice crap again!  I told you already before I’m not letting you die.”  Yuki started to walk away from the grave.  “No, you’re going to live.  I got your payment in mind already.  So let’s go see to breaking destiny!”

0