「Unknown Variable’s」 (Part 4)
898 5 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lotte's pov:
I made a small joke.
It was a small and harmless joke.

I told the two children to use a spell to use the gauntlets.
In actual fact, there's an ark-seal slot on it to properly use it.

But no... I messed up.

I should have already known that these girls were real sorcerers the moment they could move those precious giant machines.

I completely underestimated them especially the girl known as Tori whom I once witnessed to read ancient language.

A young girl at the age of 12 called forth a sphere that literally obliterated 3 dummies I have set up as practiced. After doing so, she mumbled something to her sister that I wasn't able to properly catch with my ears to the shock I experienced.

I think I'm going to faint.

『Tori! can't you use something less destructive!』

「I forgot most of the basic and simpler offensive spells...

Most of my spells involve using intermediate and advanced magic.
This is the least destructive spells I have at the moment...」

Uwah.... how destructive are the others then!?

No, the real question should be, when the heck did you, kids, even learn such magic!
Normally a spell takes years of practice for a sorcerer to learn it.
But she's just WAVING her hand and conjuring them like it was nothing!

If normal sorcerer's who bled tears of blood and have lost a few hairs trying to master their craft could see her like this...

Well, they might as well go bald with jealousy and shock by now...

As for the spell itself...
I believe it is pretty much enough to destroy a single D to B-class monster in one hit.
Now I understand clearly why the academy was cruel to them to pair them up with 3rd and 4th years, their intention was to draw the eyes of the military houses towards them!

Their real intention is most likely to present them to the higher nobles.
Most likely it's the academy way of helping them or just being sadistic.
But even if they do intend to claim them as their own, I already have my hands on their names.

Without a doubt, the gauntlets worked like a charm and are now restoring her inner-mana as she soon asked.

「Lotte, this weapon...
Wouldn't this cause mana-collapse if a person recklessly used this?」

Indeed, mana collapse is a problem.
Even the best sorcerers who used the darn thing couldn't avoid experiencing it.

A circumstance where their bodies could no longer contain the mana inside them and started to slowly corrode them from the inside and dwindle slowly to their demise as they turn to dust.

It was once a popular weapon but as time went on, it became obsolete.

Most melee weapons such as the blade and other tools were repurposed to deal with monsters. However, a weapon such as the rapier and other weapons were kept to deal with humans opponents.

Nobles have an odd fascination with close combat type of weapons that I felt like they were idiots who didn't know the changing times.

The moment Arc-Rifles and cannons are such tools became substitute should something go wrong. While the gauntlets were utterly forgotten due to lack of those who have the capacity to use it.

I repurposed it to be able to use ark-seals but it still wasn't enough to entice people due to the danger of collapse. As humans, gaining mana from another source can hasten the collapse which is why others disliked it.

There is a way to remove mana from the body to prevent it.
But it's an extremely painful and gruesome process that can literally make the caster puke their own guts from the pain it causes.

Talie was the next to perform her spell.
But it wasn't as strong as Tori.

It was a simple black lance she threw as she showed and taught it to Tori.

My face twitched at the scene.
Why is she teaching basics and weaker spells to someone who can conjure something so powerful? I got confused and puzzled that I got dizzy and sat down while watching them.

I seriously wanted to retort and complain to both of them but simply chose to keep watching.
Because it was more interesting to observe them than interfere...

Those two are mysterious, it's almost as though they experienced another life where they already carry the knowledge regarded as magic embedded in their minds yet remain acting like a child.

But as a woman of the arcane and intellectual.

There was no proof of evidence to back it up even if I asked both of them about it so I simply shrugged at the thought of troubling such trifles...

Not to mention, It's a difficult topic for me to even bring out.
With their happy and cheerful expression as they played with it.

It was somewhat *Soothing...*

The uniform they wore was quite cute on them compared to Milim and Nelly.
A simple color of their dress dyed black symbolizing their family house coupled with a green necktie matching their hair and a simple skirt which simply shows they are youths of the academy.

Most of the girls who wore uniforms here are given long dresses instead yet they were the selected few who were given such clothes. Exceptions to some students who managed to slip through using their connection.

As expected of the Academy of Havel to personally pay special attention to these two rising stars.

Though too bad...
Due to being a demi-human Milim isn't too attractive towards the noble boys despite her well-endowed size. Nelly, on the other hand, feels anxiety towards those she doesn't know and is too attached to those she trusts coupled with Milim being there to keep watch.

It's like those two are in their own little world.  ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°

But the same probably goes with these two.

As I soon remeasured them just-in-case the data given by the academy became inaccurate due to their growth.

-A few moments later.-

Nelly came to me in a flustered state.

"Mom! is it true that Talie and Tori got assigned with the 3rd to 4th-year students?"

I reply with a nod then said.

"Most likely the 3rd year's...
But the academy isn't unjust with their decisions and will likely, be trying to measure their ability."

Nelly then frowned.

"Measure their ability?
I can understand they revealed outstanding performance in their duels.

But did they forget they are just 12 years old?
pairing them against the scary 3rd years who already have experience and free to explore is just too cruel isn't it?"

Lotte then replied with a sigh.

"The academy is a place where we nurture youths to be capable people.
Those who carry talents especially at a young age are often regarded as special cases that require attention.

I am sure they won't do anything too reckless."

Nelly was showing a bit of relief but still, show worry on her face.
Lotte then added with a serious motherly pose.

"Tori is quite exceptional as not only did Tori managed to be tied with one of the 2nd year student well regarded to carry the strength of a 3rd year.

Known as the Analise of the house Wallace.

She also managed to nullify the magic technique of her house which utilizes both swordsmanship and magic. Coupled with Talie who had shown great unpredictability with her success with her own brother who is 3 years older than her.

Must have made the decision that both the pair are quite strong when paired together in the next practice exercises.

As a staff of this school, I believe their decision isn't too far off the track.
But should both of them show extreme displeasure with this kind of treatment that affects their performance, In here?

I'll have no choice but to file a complaint to have them returned to their original positions. "

Nelly then revealed a light smile as worry slowly dissipated as she called her. "Mom..."

Then her face shifts to a confident one as she then said.

"Can you help me with outfitting Ardent into a weapon for Talie to use then?"

Lotte smiled at her as she said.
"I already expected you would ask,
I already have her measurements here... "

As she presented her Talie sizes and worked on ardent along with their gauntlet in tow.
During their work,
Nelly soon asked with surprise.
"Weren't these the gauntlets that were said to be obsolete!?
They look like they have been repurposed!"

She then said to her.

"Yup, I pulled them out of the trash-bin.
I figured the twins prefer to use magic instead of heavy-handed tools.

After observing their last fight, Tori seems to be unable to properly attack with her blade.
While Talie decided to rely on tricks using magic to get the upper hand."

Nelly gives a wry smile with curiosity.
"Eeeeh? but why go so far as to even create a new model of an obsolete weapon for them?"

Lotte then gave her head a light tap.

"Ow!" then she said to her.

"These gauntlets became obsolete because of a certain condition it causes...
Those two are way too young and small to normally handle a weapon like a sword or gun.

Which is why I thought of giving them something that helps them use magic instead."
[But I never expected them to be capable of using spells.] in her mind.

"But why go so far?"

"Those two are like a representative of our faction at this moment.
If we don't improve their gear and show them their decision to join us was the right decision.

I'm more worried the other factions will try to pull a sly one on me and take them away.
The professors and other houses have their eyes on them.

It's only natural to support both of them with what we have." She said with her chin raised high.

"Not only that...
By presenting new tools to the arena.
We can also sell some of them when they are demanded by the other students who explore the islands and are currently earning Hal." Nelly then showed a wry smile as she saw $_$ signs on her mother's eyes.

...

...

...

________________________________________________________________________________

On the next day.
Day 11: Thursday.
Class session: Practical Training Exercises.
Time: 8:00 am, Early Morning.

Talie's Pov:

Right now we were on our combat uniform, on our way to the training hall.
The schedule we had before was 12:00 am but was rescheduled in the early morning so we are quite a bit light-headed from waking so early.

But I was ambushed by Nelly who was oddly waiting on our route.
Her schedule is supposed to be 12:00 am which puzzled both Tori and I...

It was then I soon received Nelly's gift of apologies to me.
Needless to say, I was surprised when she said.

"I'm sorry when I took Ardent,
As a form of my apology, please use this in your next fight."
As she said those words with a beet-red face.
She ran away from me, but her beautiful light-blue hair fluttered as I gazed at her from the distance.

Tori who was with me was also showing quite a surprised expression.

「She's quite an eccentric one isn't she.」

『Tell me about it...』

Her present to me was a brown box that feels like I'm holding onto a piece of metal.
As I opened it, annoyance returned to my face as it twitched.

"Ah, master...
It's a pleasure to meet you again."

It was a metal shoulder guard that looks like it had a few odd-looking rods on it
Ardent was attached to the center of it like a part of the decor.
There was also a piece of note on him as checked it.

"Equip it to your right shoulders.
Say: Activate Armament.

During your fight.
it should assist you,
Good luck."

「Wow, looks like you made her worry.」

I sighed at Tori's response.

『I completely forgot about Ardent.
Never imagined she will return it to me like this.』I scratched my head, I haven't tested this thing nor do I wish to use it. But Nelly must be going to observe the fight since she ran towards the Training Arena.

I deeply sighed...

「Talie, we are going to be late.」

『Yes, yes...』

As we walk onwards toward the troublesome training arena of the academy.
But we were shocked when we entered the place.

The arena has a whole new environment on it that made it look like less of an Arena and more of a manufactured area.

A group of students was now fighting on a lush green and there was water that didn't appear to be an illusion, splashed as the muddy earth caused one of them to slid and ended the match on their loss.

"Victor, Chase and Tiara"

The boy and girl pair name was shouted by the announcer.
As they left the arena, the field slowly returned to normal.

「Looks like a special function of the Arena.
They never used it during our fight before...」

『It's probably exclusive to 3rd and 4th-year students.
Since we were forcefully dragged into their schedule despite being first years.

Seriously, what do they intend to do with us.』

But then a familiar voice called out to us.

"Tori, Talie over here!"

Eyes of the 3rd years and 4th gazed at us as the person waving her hand is...

Castel Everheims as she happily walked toward us with a cheerful glee on her face.

Words like...

"Aren't those two just kids?"

"I've heard the news from the professor about factions fighting over two children."

"Which one of them is the rumored girl who tied with Analise!?"

As the students clamor with hunting eyes directed at us.

Castel finally reached us which made us nervous.

"Ho, ho...
How does it feel to be part of the training with the 3rd and 4th years."

「I would prefer the 1st and 2nd.」

『Me too...』

Castel showed a shocked expression.

"Are you two crazy!?
Not many can afford this chance to train with the advanced class.
It's quite costly to apply for 3rd and 4th-year courses you know!?"

But Tori and Talie eyes had the word. "Is that so!?" in their faces while gazing at her.
Which she shrugged off and said.

"Basically the Academy rated both of you highly for your performance on your last battle.
Since you two decided to pair yourselves together, they were afraid the other students won't have a chance to give you two a challenge."

「Is that so?」

『Is that so?』

Both had wide dead smiles on faces.
As she sweated a bit as she felt their smiles were quite distorted then said in retort.

"Ahh!? don't look at me with those eyes.
It wasn't me who sent you here!

If you want to blame someone, blame the student council!
They were the ones who analyzed your fight and decided that both of you should be assigned here in the first place."

「Student council?」

『I recall they were students who manage events and are regarded to be quite excellent.』

"Yup, they are also quite mean.
They charged me for threatening the staff over the incident.
When it was clearly their fault!

They also temporarily confiscated my sword until I reflect on it."

(Unfortunately,
No one wanted to tell Castel about the truth of the exercise incident in fear of her wrath.
Hence simply most of the staff simply silenced themselves and kept her in the dark.

She was unfortunately charged for the damages after rampaging in their office with her sword in hand.)

 

「We can't really understand.」

『Nor can we relate.』

Both of them shrugged at her sobbings.

"Gah! how heartless!"

「Not as heartless as the jerks.」

『Who ignored our age and sent us here without even our consent.』

"Then I would like to apologize." a mysterious voice said from our sides.

As our head turned towards the voice.
Castel then swiftly went silent and bowed.

A young boy who seems to be at the age of 14-16 was in front of us.
He was at the height of 150cm only at least 10cm taller than us.
His hair was blond and eyes shone with a dark color of red.
He had quite an attractive face with a calm and gentle expression in his face making him look quite baby-face that I somehow wanted to punch. (Talie pov.)

"Good morning, Rising youths of the first years.
My name is Alistar Berk. "

The twins tilted their heads.

「For you to apologize, are you the one responsible for us being here?」Tori made a swift question to which he replied.

"Ah, partially it was my fault.
However, the student council is composed of multiple students you know.

It requires proper votes to determine whether a student is worth investing in or not."

『Investing in?』Talie asked.

"Yes...
The academy takes in special students who carry great potential into higher courses.
You two are still 1st years but are already showing the strength of a 2nd and 3rd-year student in the training exercises.

Its only natural to send you to a more fitting place that will put you on edge to make you grow.
Don't you think?" He then made a wide smile and carried malice in his words.

Tori and Talie didn't fail to catch it.
This young man undoubtedly hated them and this day was merely the beginning of their struggle.

 

 

12