Vol.7 Ch.201- Is This What It Means?
346 9 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I'm sure many of you have been looking forward to this chapter. Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate, and for those of you who don't, I hope you have another fantastic Sunday with your friends and family.

I returned to the stadium at dawn to find little presence there. It was unnerving to be in such a vast space and for there to be so few people when compared to during the day, but I disregarded it as quickly as it came. Outside, there were pockets of people drinking at food stands in the grounds, but those were few and far between. If anything, it was more common to see merchants heading to their stalls to prepare for the day, although I had a feeling the final match between Sylvia and myself would be delayed by at least a day.

I made my way to the back entrance for students and was quickly allowed in. I meandered the quiet halls toward the infirmary, passing the guards, teachers, and staff that were moving about. Everyone greeted me with warm smiles and greetings, and I made sure to return them to the best of my abilities despite being mentally drained. The nurse welcomed me in, and I quickly reclaimed the seat that I had left.

My mother was off in the corner of the room, watching me sit down from the corner of her eye. I gave her a nod, and she quickly shut her eyes and went back to sleep. I observed the two of them sleeping peacefully just as I left them. I let out a long sigh as I ran my fingers over my face and through my hair.

Honestly, I should have returned home and showered, maybe even slept an hour or so before coming back, but I couldn’t bring myself to do that. I felt, for some reason, that I needed to be there when they woke up. Thankfully, I didn’t have to wait long, as Cerila was the first to stir.

I checked her soul with Soul Sight once more, and my eyes widened. The mess that was her soul before had stabilized completely. A light that was much brighter than previously sat in the center of her chest. Cerila tightly shut her already closed eyes as she stirred.

I felt as if she was going to jolt up out of the bed and scream for some reason, so I grabbed her by the hand to calm her before any of that happened. Thankfully, she instantly calmed down as her amber eyes fluttered open, and I stared directly into them.

We sat like that for a few moments, neither of us saying anything. Cerila blinked a few times as tears dripped down from her eyes.

<Why are you crying?> I signed with one hand.

Cerila looked confused for a moment as she looked down at herself. I realized that she had let go of Hubris and was staring at her hand. She even used her free hand to touch her chest and ears, which only made her face stiffen up more.

Well, at least Hubris isn’t permanently glued to her hand…that would have been a problem.

<I—I don’t know?> she answered hesitantly.

<Cerila…what happened during your fight with Sylvia?> I asked.

Cerila slowly took in what I asked her, and I watched as her eyes darted around. The longer she did it, the more panicked and confused she became. She quickly sat up in her bed and cradled her head into her hands.

What? What is with this reaction?

I put a hand on her shoulder and turned her toward me. Cerila looked up into my eyes, hers shaking. <Cerila, are you okay? What’s wrong?>

<I can’t remember anything. One moment, we were fighting, and I was about to strike her as she was in mid-air, then…I don’t know what happened after that. I’m here now…Kal…why can’t I remember anything?> Cerila questioned.

<I have no idea,> I admitted.

What is the meaning of this?

I looked over to Sylvia, and she was sleeping peacefully as before. Could it have been something Sylvia did? Something her Blood Sorcery was able to do…alter the memories of people? But why would Sylvia do that to Cerila, and how would she have found the time to do it in the middle of a heated battle that destroyed the entire arena platform?

Too many questions, and now the only person who can answer them is still asleep.

I turned back to the confused Cerila and grabbed her by the hand again. <Do you remember anything at all? Even a feeling of something that may have happened? How about how you feel right now?>

Cerila squeezed my hand tightly. <I feel…different now. But I also feel that—for some reason…I feel as if I lost something. But I don’t know what I lost….>

I squeezed her hand in return and shook my head. I didn’t even know where to begin.

Sylvia Talgan’s POV.

When I awoke nearly two days after my match against Cerila, I felt less than pleasant. First, I was in an uncomfortable bed underneath the stadium, and second, I had a splitting headache that just wouldn’t go away.

The pain was almost unbearable, and no matter how much I struggled to make sense of it or heal it with my abilities, I couldn’t get rid of it. It felt as if someone had cracked my head open and rummaged around inside my brain with their fingers. And that was coupled with the fact that, just like Cerila, I had no memories of the previous and intense fight we apparently had.

Kaladin slowly explained to me what he had witnessed, but from the outside, I had no explanations for him. A sphere of blood that could withstand an onslaught of attacks and magic? I could maybe do something like that but on a grand scale to cover the entire arena platform? And for a long time while also apparently fighting Cerila to her knees? I didn’t know any rituals like that.

My memories also cut off in the exact same place as Cerila’s, which was odd. One moment, everything was clear to me; I was in mid-air, about to be struck by Cerila’s blade, then…nothing. The only thing I could muster in my head was the feeling that something was missing. And a voice, a familiar voice that sounded so far away yet close…but no matter how hard I tried to listen to it, I couldn’t hear what it was trying to tell me.

Which only made my headache worsen. Gah…what a pain. Why can’t I remember anything?

The fact that I used Blood Sorcery and did so on a large scale bothered me. I would have forfeited before I did something like that. I knew that showing that off was a terrible idea and went against everything I wanted. It also bothered me that I allowed myself to be cornered by Cerila enough to feel the need to use it! But she can’t remember how she did it either!

I rubbed my face aggressively and let out a deep sigh as the stadium around me roared. The sounds of thousands upon thousands of cheering people shook the stadium and the ground I walked on. Thankfully, my headache was gone, but that feeling of missing something was stubborn and wouldn’t leave me alone.

Now, I have to smile and wave to everyone while doing a little performance in the meantime. Honestly, it was a drag on my already limited mood, and I wished I could have a few more days to recuperate myself, but it needed to be done amongst the laundry list of things that piled up while I was unconscious.

Sigh…getting knocked out cold when you are busy really is just a waste of time…

Knock. Knock.

“Miss Sylvia? Are you prepared?”

I let out another sigh and dragged myself out of the chair. “Yes…”

I left my staging room and, for the final time, followed an attendant to the large double doors that separated me from the roaring crowd—even with the doors shut tightly, the energy from outside ticked the hair on the back of my neck. I didn’t care for crowds one way or another, but it was always impressive to hear so many individuals gathered in a single place, shouting their lungs out. And admittedly…it felt somewhat good hearing my name as well, even if it was second to Kaladin’s.

“And now, let us give a resounding roar for the Dragonslayer’s opponent in this final battle, Luminar’s very own Vampire Priestess, Sylvia!”

“Sylvia!”

“Sylvia!”

“Sylvia!”

The doors opened the moment the announcer finished with my name. I walked out and was blasted with an overwhelming force. It was akin to walking into a wall made of solid wind. That was how many people were shouting, hollering, and whopping at me. And with that amount of noise, it took everything in my power not to flinch and cover my ears. I truly felt that I was moments away from going deaf.

But damn…there isn’t a single spot open in the entire stadium. Well…besides the Sandervile booth and area. But even those got filled in with other nobles and citizens.

I climbed the steps and stood in position, waving back to everyone. I even made eye contact with Mila and blew her a kiss, which she stood up out of her seat and did back. It was adorable, and if I could, I’d just go straight over to her right now… ignoring all the fools who thought I was doing it for them.

The referee gave us a nod to meet in the center, and I looked directly over to Kaladin. He wore the usual Luminar armor and carried his brand-new spear in one hand. His long, raven black hair fell over his shoulders, and he walked casually to meet me with a soft smile on his face.

It was the least imposing he had appeared all tournament. Usually, he wore a serious look on his handsome face as he glared at his opponent, although that was just how he looked most of the time. So seeing him like this was…well, it made me smile back at him and feel a little embarrassed.

Honestly, he could at least try to be serious for this match. Smiling at me like that…what am I supposed to do?

“A lot of people here today,” Kaladin said as he looked out to the crowd on his side.

“Indeed…a lot of people,” I muttered.

Kaladin smirked and raised an eyebrow at me. “What’s the matter? Not feeling confident all of a sudden?”

I rolled my eyes at him, “As if. We have a promise, right?”

“Of course we do.”

“Then you won’t be mad at me if I win by any means necessary, right?” I asked.

“Naturally. A battle to win must be fought by any means. Of course…a repeat of your last fight wouldn’t be ideal…” he said with an awkward chuckle.

“Well, obviously!” I shouted back. “And you better remember what you said! Because I’m going to win this, and you are not going to be happy about it!”

Kaladin chuckled as he finished, looking down at me slightly with a warm smile, and said softly, “I’ll be looking forward to it then. And I’d be more than happy to see you win.”

I felt my face warm up and nearly spat out the first thing that came to my mind, but I managed to take a deep breath and walk away. I was already embarrassed enough as it was…I just…well, when he smiled like that, it was hard for me not to get that way…

Gah! I wish I were fighting someone else! Then things would just be simpler because I could beat them up and move on!

Well…whatever…this won’t be much of a fight anyway.

I took my place once more. The referee gave us one final customary check, and with his hand movement, the battle started. And then, it ended with a single thought as I connected my senses to my trap. It’s not that I planted it before or anything; it’s just that, for some reason, I have control over a vast amount of blood littering the arena platform.

It must have been a leftover from my previous fight with Cerila, but I had no recollection of using that much blood nor even maintaining control over it. Actually, it had been long enough to where I should have lost control of any blood, especially this much spread out over a vast surface that had even been cleaned and distorted by other people.

Yup, it was like the blood had seeped into the stone Kaladin stood on, and I could manipulate it freely, so I used it to stab him underneath his foot, rendering him immobile.

Honestly, why would I ever fight Kaladin in a public place like this? Beat each other bloody for what…a stupid tournament win? What kind of idiot thought I’d participate in something so meaningless? I’d sooner forfeit than make a spectacle out of the man I loved in a place like this.

The crowd roared our names and shouted for a fight, but I just walked down the center casually as Kaladin stood stock still. Eventually, after I made it halfway without a single spell or movement from Kaladin, the crowd began to murmur in confusion. Which made sense; it wasn’t like Kaladin to let a strong opponent reach him for free.

Eventually, I made it right in front of him and looked him in the eyes. I just smiled and told him, “I love you, you know that, right? I’m just going to push you off the edge and win by a knockout, okay?”

Of course, he couldn’t answer me or even move his face to respond. I wouldn’t let him because, at that moment, I didn’t want him to change my mind. Was I being stubborn? Probably.

I put my hands on his chest and began to push him like a stone block over a road. But I only made it a few steps before I looked back in shock.

Kaladin’s body was shaking slightly; his face was beat red, and veins were popping out from his neck and under his cheeks. I watched as his eyes filled with blood as he strained against my power with all of his might.

Then he moved his hand slightly. Oh…wait…

That’s never happened before!

“Wait! You are going to hurt yourself, you idiot! Stop it! You can’t break free no matter how hard you try! Just let me push you!” I shouted as I strengthened my control on him and pushed him harder.

Thankfully, Kaladin wasn’t able to break free…not that he ever could…right? The crowd let out a collective confused murmur as they watched me push Kaladin’s stock-still body off the platform and onto the ground. Even the announcer, who was supposed to well… announce my victory, hesitated.

After an awkward delay, “The Dragonslayer has been defeated in the final match! The winner of the tournament is Sylvia!”

Kaladin Shadowheart’s POV.

Later that night, after my loss, I stood in front of Sylvia’s door as instructed by her. Although I had lost in the end, it didn’t feel very fair…even if there were technically no rules against what Sylvia had done.

I had intended to take that final battle as seriously as possible, as I thought that’s what Sylvia would have wanted. But it turned out I was wrong because I lost the second it started. No, I lost the moment I was even entertained by the thought of trying to beat her, it seemed.

Which just went to show…that if I really had to fight Sylvia for some reason, things could very well end that way, in a heartbeat. I was glad things would never end up that way.

Well… that is all me just stalling…I’m sort of nervous as to what she is going to ask of me.

“Sylvia? May I come in?” I asked through the door.

“Yes, it’s open,” she said back to me from inside the room.

I opened the door, and Sylvia was off in the corner of her room at her desk, illuminated by a candle. She didn’t even look back at me as I walked behind her and looked over her shoulder.

“What are you doing?” I questioned.

“Something you forgot existed. It’s called reading books for class…you know, the thing ordinary people are supposed to do because you are studying things at school?” she grumbled as she tapped her finger on the pages of the open book in front of her.

“I read books for class…”I muttered in my defense.

Sylvia slowly turned her head and glared at me with her crimson eyes. “When?” she hissed.

“In class…”

Sylvia’s glare intensified as she shut her book with a loud thump. “Uh, huh…just how disconnected are you from how school should be versus how it is for you?”

“It seems like a lot if I had to guess. But it’s just how things are for me,” I said as I scratched the back of my head.

“Yeah, I guess you can’t help it,” she said with a sigh, standing up.

Sylvia put her hands on my shoulders and guided me backward and onto her bed. She looked down at me and, in a serious voice, told me, “You are to sit right here and not do anything until I’m back. Got it?”

“That’s an odd request. I don’t think you needed to—ouch…okay…I won’t go anywhere,” I groaned as she poked me in the shoulder.

“Good, I’ll be taking my time then,” she huffed as she went over to her dresser and rummaged around for some things.

She snuck a few glances back at me, but I just shrugged my shoulders at her, which only made her turn away from me. Eventually, she settled on something, but before going into the bathroom, she looked back and stuck her tongue out at me.

“Look, I’m bringing my clothes with me like a normal person,” she said in a high-pitched but mocking tone.

I chuckled, not at the fact she was trying to make fun of me but how cute she was being. It was hard to take offense when the person mocking you was red in the face all the way up to the ears. Of course, that only served to redden Sylvia’s face more.

Syliva slammed the door shut, and it was obvious she had already run the water as I could hear her immediately jump into the tub. It was…too stimulating to hear all these sounds in the otherwise silent room, but I shook my head free of any thoughts and diligently did what I was told because a promise was a promise. Contrary to Sylvia’s attitude, she didn’t make me wait at all. If anything, it was probably the fastest she had ever bathed since I have known her.

Sylvia walked out, hair still damp, her porcelain skin a warm red from the water. For a moment, I had the vague thought she would come out naked in an attempt to embarrass me, but that did not happen. However, the shirt she wore was at least two sizes too small, being incredibly tight and not even covering her midriff. And the shorts…what was the point of owning shorts or any article of leg clothing that covered that little…it might as well be underwear at that point.

“W—well, you waited,” Sylvia stammered out, her face even more red than her eyes.

I swallowed the spit in my throat and nodded. “I think I’m capable of this much,” I said quietly.

“Then…what are you going to ask of me, Sylvia?”

Sylvia bashfully walked toward me and, once again, put her hands on my shoulders, but this time, she pushed me onto the bed. I didn’t fight back, and we quickly locked eyes.

“Kaladin?”

“Sylvia?”

“Do you want to start a family with me?”

Huh?

“I think it’s too late to be asking me that, Sylvia…we are already a family,” I muttered in confusion as I felt the heat rise up in my chest.

I could feel the heat radiate from her body as she straddled me. Smell the flowery shampoo and soap she used to wash. It was overwhelming me.

Sylvia let out a sigh as she closed her eyes. When she opened them again, she pushed me down a little harder and got her red face even closer to mine.

“I—yes…I should have said…well…do you want to expand our family?”

“Yes, I would like that—”

“Well, not right now because Mila is going to school soon! And there is still a lot to do with school for me and the Dragonheart Foundation, and I’m not ready just yet! But I just wanted to know if you wanted to!” Sylvia blurted out, interrupting me.

I was taken aback by the sudden embarrassed rambling but couldn’t help but smile. Sylvia was being too cute. It was honestly unfair.

“Yes, that would be wise as well. But so that you know, things might not work out seeing how I came to be and—guaha.

She might cave my chest in! Control your strength, please!

Slyvia pushed down on my chest, forcing the air out of me into a grunt. “I know! I know! I know! I know!” she repeated.

I wheezed, and Sylvia finally let the pressure off my chest. It was amazing how such small arms could exert such overwhelming force.

“So…is that all you wanted to ask me?” I said with a gasp.

“No…of course not…” she muttered meekly.

“I think this might be going beyond a single request…”

“No, it doesn’t! You aren’t leaving just yet!” she ordered.

Okay…

Sylvia didn’t say anything for a while. She just stared at me in silence. But she inched closer to my face to where I could feel her breath on my cheeks.

“Kaladin, do you want to spend the rest of your life with me?” she asked me quietly.

There was no hesitation. Or should I say, there was no need to think about it because I had long since come to a conclusion?

I lifted my arms and wrapped them around Sylvia, bringing her down to my chest. “Yes, I do want to spend the rest of our lives together.”

“Does that mean that you love me?” she asked with a small sob.

“Yes, it does mean that. I love you, Sylvia,” I said softly.

Sylvia wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly. “I’m sorry it took me so long to say it,” I apologized.

“A—at least you said it!” she said, muffling her voice in my chest.

We lay there for a good amount of time. We just simply embraced each other without any other words being exchanged. It felt good.

But Sylvia pushed off me a little, her nose nearly touching mine. I waited to see if there was anything else to say but after a few moments, I tilted my head in confusion.

“Damn it! Kaladin, you can kiss me now if you want!”

“Oh…okay, you should have said so,” I said, leaning up slightly only to be pushed back down.

“W—w—well, now it’s too late. You can’t just kiss me now!” she blurted out.

“Why not?” I asked.

“Because now the mood is ruined!”

“Do I need to set the mood every time I want to kiss you?” I questioned.

“No, but! Well! Just- I’m not done with you!” Sylvia shouted in embarrassment.

“Alright…now what?”

“Do you remember… back in the dungeon when I said there wasn’t a ritual to increase the blood you produce?” Sylvia mentioned.

“I do. You said there was nothing of the sort,” I recalled.

“Well, there actually is…” she admitted.

“…that would have been nice to do considering the circumstance we were in…don’t you think?”

She pushed me down harder, and I grunted once more from the force. “Well, I wasn’t ready yet. I couldn’t just do that in the dungeon with you?! Who do you think I am?!” she yelped in a high-pitched voice.

I don’t get it.

“And right now! I—well, I’m just not ready for that, like I said, but there are two parts, and my mom was very clear that whoever I did this for must be someone who wanted to spend the rest of their life with me so…yeah…and well now you said it so…the first part is now…” Sylvia muttered off.

“Alright, I’m ready when you are, but can I at least get up a little?” I asked.

“No!”

“Okay…”

Sylvia quickly dipped down, and I felt her fangs puncture straight through my shirt and directly into my chest. I didn’t feel any pain as usual, but…there was something different. It felt as if her fangs were expanding into me…going deeper…then it happened.

My vision blurred, and I screamed in pain. Suddenly, it felt as if my blood was boiling in my veins. I could feel it in my organs, and I thought I was going to die. I was being forced down, and I tried to fight against it but the pain was too much even to pass out. Then, it abruptly stopped as soon as it came.

I blinked a few times, and the pain was absent, as if it never happened in the first place. If anything, I just felt a little tired, that was all. The sound of Sylvia’s concerned voice rang in my ears, and I looked up at her face.

“Kaladin?! Kaladin?!”

Huh, why not?

I didn’t answer her and instead just leaned up slightly and kissed her on the lips, the mood be damned. Sylvia just blinked a few times and looked down at me, shocked.

She touched her lips with a finger and sent a glare my way as she poked me in the side, only to proceed to push my chest in some more.

“You can’t just start screaming like that, then kiss me! What is wrong with you?! Damn it, that was the first time as well?!” she wailed. 

Well, I just felt like it. What can I say? Although I don’t think I did a very good job…kissing someone is… different…but it feels good to do it with someone you love.

14