Chapter 37: Exploring the Breach
152 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Word Count 1184]

***

"Marshal, I see that you came," Kal smiled at the newly arrived Stacker Pentecost whose eyes were looking everywhere but him while scrutinizing everything in the laboratory.

Kal remained silent and patiently waited for him to complete his amusing inspection. There wasn't anything of interest in the lab. Or maybe did he expect to witness some spectacular invention around the corner?

"It seems you expected my arrival, Dr. El," Marshal Pentecost finally turned his attention to him.

"You could say so. Quantum probability can achieve pretty much everything," Kal said amusedly.

Marshal Pentecost gave him a stern look. "Or it could have been just a coincidence or anticipation on your part?"

He then averted his gaze to the drone on the workbench. Something that Kal had made out of scraps and Kaiju blood.

It picked his curiosity. The drone looked quite simple but Stacker Pentecost felt that it held immense profundity. A complicated creation.

Kal followed his gaze.

"Oh, this is something that I wanted to show you, marshal. I am going to use it so that you can have a live feed of the Anteverse. Aren't you curious about the home of the Precursors?" He then explained casually.

"I am. I can't begin to imagine how this drone can survive the adverse conditions of the Breach. Aren't you the one who told me about the spatial instabilities in that region?" Marshal Pentecost walked closer with a visible frown on his face.

He was a practical guy and most importantly, the doubtful type that needed hardcore evidence to impress.

"Don't worry about that. You just have to wait and see instead of worrying and doubting," Kal put his right hand in his trouser's pocket and then took the drone off the table with the other.

"You see, marshal. This little one should not be underestimated. It has Kaiju blood in it that will enable it to bypass the Precursors' security checkpoint." He demonstrated by pretending to fly the drone like a toy.

"I don't know where you got your hands on Kaiju blood but what you have made will be of huge help to humanity. I can't thank you enough for that," Marshal Pentecost said in an impressed voice.

His words were sincere and he honestly had taught himself not to care about the means Dr. El will use to aid them. He didn't want to be overly nosy to an unpredictable man and a very dangerous one at that.

"Oh, you really don't have to thank me. I am doing all of these for the common interest of humanity. We are all sailing in the same boat after all," Kal waved his right hand in dismissal but he found his words so laughable. Yes, he was essentially helping humanity in its against the Kaijus but it just felt strange coming from his mouth. After all, he was a man who had once brought down a universe with him. A genocidal scientist, to be more precise.

"You won't mind if I give you hands-on experience, right?" Kal suggested while putting the drone down on the workbench.

Then he crossed his arms and then leaned back on the edges of the workbench.

His huge arms straining against the white material was a quite distracting sight to behold. Even the marshal found his eyes wandering to his arms.

Did he take steroids when he was a baby or what? Marshal Pentecost thought with a strange expression on his face.

"I wouldn't mind."

"Okay then. Let's start ASAP." Kal then started the hybrid drone before taking its remote controller into his hands.

The Holo-viewer was connected to the camera systems of the drone so it could similarly project live video of whatever the drone captured via its high-definition lenses.

"Phew, let's start our adventure." The laboratory's metallic door opened after Kal pressed a button on a crappy wristband watch on his arm. He was slowly learning to turn trash into gold. A kind of Midas touch for anything technological.

The doors closed after Kal guided the drone outside. It easily maneuvered the people on the way without them noticing any peculiarity. Not even the sound. A perfect camouflage.

This made Marshal Pentecost even more amazed. That simple demonstration was enough to make him hopeful and doubt-free. The tool is simply too good for infiltration and covert operations, he thought.

After a few minutes, it was already outside, above the expansive Pacific ocean - ready to dive and expedite the underwater domain.

"It really is impressive. I can't believe it can withstand those currents and deep-sea pressure. And what's with its speeds?" Marshal Pentecost didn't stop blabbering which only fueled Kal's amusement.

His praises, shock, and impression only made him feel better about himself, feeding his ego more and more. Scientists liked people to talk crazily about their creations even if it was trash. Were there humble genius scientists? Maybe somewhere out there in the greater Omniverse. Most geniuses did not have humility as their middle name.

The video of the world under the ocean was so beautiful and exotic. It felt like fantasy or something straight out of a movie. Shoals of fish, sharks, and lobsters, were among the few aquatic organisms captured by the drone's lenses. And as it dived deeper and deeper where the hydrostatic pressure was higher, the signs of life started to fade. It was unknown what type of peculiar organisms stayed at the deepest, uncharted territories of the ocean. You never know if a Cthulhu was quietly slumbering away in that region.

The drone could perceive the pitch darkness underwater like an ally since it had night vision integrated into it that made visibility all the same just like a bright day.

"The Breach…" Kal muttered as the drone hovered above a fissure between two tectonic plates. Blue streaks of electricity flashed constantly on the fissures and a golden brilliance radiated from beneath them - the path that led to the security checkpoint, the Kaiju's genetic 'barcode' scanners.

"With Kaiju blood running through its system, we can easily trick their security system. It feels too easy. Even a Kaiju corpse can do just right. What were the Precursors thinking when making such lousy security measures?" Kal smiled while driving the drone further down without losing speed. It seamlessly passed the genetic scanners and arrived at a hollow passage with constant flashes of blue lightning. The gravitational forces in that region seemed to be regulated and at the moment, it was slowly pulling everything down to yet another organic sphincter-like doorway of alien origins.

Everything looked alien in the Breach.

"Marshal, wanna see the Precursors at work?" Kal laughed, taking the situation casually.

As for Stacker Pentecost, he felt tense, nervous, and full of anticipation. He couldn't believe that he was now about to see the creatures hellbent on terrorizing humanity. What did they look like? How were their internal structures? Stacker was curious even though the suspense hung thickly in the air.

Marshal Pentecost took a deep breath and then released it dramatically.

"Let's see 'em up at point blank!"

-x-x-x-

8