Ichirou Segawa – When Patience Runs Dry ②
43 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Episode Two - Inertia

Sumire and Issei Segawa, the two were up and coming business figures steadily making themselves known due to their smart decisions and quick thinking. The couple has been married for over two decades with no sign of their special spark withering away, they also had a son, a second-year student called Ichirou Segawa, who like the couple was also known for his quick thinking and abundant connections.

“Have you been in contact with Ichirou lately?” The tall man said as he made his wife a cup of coffee. “I spoke with him yesterday, he said he was doing fine, his work for the school was also going well.” The slick, long black hair woman said as she received the mug.

“I see, as to be expected. Seems that our worries were worthless after all.” Issei said with a subtle smile.

“Still… I wish we weren’t that busy, I want to spend some time with him… I feel bad for leaving him all alone.” (Sumire)

Sumire really loved his son, however she had little to no time to spend with him nowadays ever since their small engineering company took off. Even now, she heavily wanted to have a simple day off to spend with her son.

“Well, we’re close to finishing the deal with that company, after that we might as well get ourselves a vacation, then we can return home and spend some time with Ichirou that way.” (Issei)

Parental neglect is not just an absence of presence; it's a void that echoes through a child's heart, shaping their world in silence. That’s why though they didn’t realize it yet, their son was growing up all on his own, which in consequence will make him push away unconsciously all those he deems as strangers.

✦•✦•✦

“That’s why, thanks to Segawa, we managed to have a few stores collaborate with us for the expense of materials.” Kotone’s voice rang across the meeting room as all the others stayed on their seats, listening to the next course of action.

“We should first look for an appropriate schedule to have the students go and buy the materials, we would be limiting the people to three people per class. We’ll also be talking with the photography club for the management of the photos that will be posted on the school’s social media.” Following his sister’s order, Kei continued with details of his own.

“I’ll talk with the photography club, I believe Ms. Ayanokouji will give me a good deal if I ask her.” (Ichirou)

“The hell does that even mean?” Seichiiro said, eyes frowning.

“Alright everyone, dismissed.” With a clap of her hands, all the other members of the council stood up and left in bulk, leaving only the four of them inside.

“Is anyone free right now?” Kei asked.

“I’m going shopping with Arisa and Hiyori right now, so I sadly can not.” (Kotone)

“I have a date with Kokoro, bye~” (Sei)

“Quick! Since when did you get to the door?!” (Kei)

Before Kei could finish up however, Seichiiro had already left, closing the door behind him. Sighing in astonishment, Kei turned to the only person left to ask, “Hahaha… apologies, I have an appointment today I can’t miss… Maybe next time.” (Ichirou)

“Eh~ Damn, I’ll be alone today, then? Hey, sis… Give my girlfriend back to me!” (Kei)

“Be sure to close when you leave,” Kotone said as she closed the door behind her. “Hey, sis?!” (Kei)

✦•✦•✦

Sitting on a couch, there was a woman with long hair, and two brown eyes fixated on the book she was holding. Suddenly, she looked up and at the clock hung on the wall, then as if remembering something, she muttered to herself.

“He should be here any second now, I think?” As if about divination was it, the door unlocked with a click, and a young male voice rang across the hallway as footsteps could be heard. “I’m sorry I’m late Ms. Nina.”

“Ichirou, welcome.” The woman, Nina Segawa, welcomed Ichirou with a smile. “How are you holding up? Be sure to take care of yourself, we don’t want Uncle Seiya to be worried to death.” Ichirou joked as he placed a few plastic bags on the table.

“I’m doing fine, don’t worry… you two worry too much sometimes.” Nina Segawa was Ichirou’s uncle’s wife, he has been taking care of her ever since she announced her pregnancy. Their home was quite a distance away from Ichirou’s place, that’s why he could only come about four times a week to check up on her and do the basic housework.

“The pregnancy period is cannot be taken lightly, Ms. Nina. Not to mention, you guys have been doing too much for me, so it’s only natural for me to return the favor. Well, I’ll be borrowing your kitchen for a while, I’ll whip something up for you to eat, is that okay?” (Ichirou)

“Unn. It’s more than okay, thank you once again, Ichirou.” (Nina)

“Don’t mention it.” Ichirou shook his head as he wore the apron and headed to the kitchen. There, he swiftly cut the vegetables needed and after placing the fire, threw everything there to quickly cook it. If asked about his preference in food, Ichirou liked things really roasted, but of course, he couldn’t serve such a dish to Nina. So, he decided to lightly warm the vegetables and place it along with some rice, heating up some mashed potatoes he prepared before coming here.

After pouring a cup of water to keep her hydrated, Ichirou took all the food in front of Nina, carefully placing it to enable easy accessibility to her.

“It looks delicious, as always. Thank you, Ichirou.” Nina smiled in gratitude. “It’s okay, I’ll go ahead and do some light cleaning, then… Enjoy your meal, Ms. Nina.” (Ichirou)

✦•✦•✦

Nina’s POV~

Along with my husband, I’ve seen Ichirou grow into a fine man. I still remember how much he was trembling back when his sister was in labor, and the happiness when he was able to carry the newborn Ichirou in his eyes. Now, being so close to experiencing this happiness with his own child, I… can’t wait.

However… I wonder about Ichirou. I think it was back when he was starting middle school, my sister-in-law’s husband’s company experienced an abrupt flourishing and they became busier than before. Which in return, made them neglect their child, at first they were only gone for a day or two, then it became weeks… and those weeks, months…

Ichirou is strong, and he wouldn’t want them to worry, that’s why I’m sure he has kept quiet. Nevertheless, I know he’s reaching his breaking point. No matter how hard I try, I can’t fill that hole in his heart, and I worry that by the time they notice, it will be too late… That’s why, sister Sumire, I beg of you… please wake up and interpret Ichirou’s smile as what it really is—

—a cry for help.

✦•✦•✦

It was around nine in the evening when Ichirou finally returned home, as he walked up the apartment complex’s stairs he looked back to today’s events. After taking care of Nina, as he was accustomed to, worked on his assignments for a brief period and continued with the preparations for the school’s festival as he waited for his uncle Seiya.

“A school festival, huh? That’s nice~ I still remember the first one I actively participated in!” Were the words of Nina after hearing the details from Ichirou himself.

“Huh? The lights are on… did I forget to turn them off this morning?” Arriving at his doorstep, he noticed that there was a subtle light coming from inside the room, using the key to his apartment and turning it clockwise, he slowly opened the door and walked through the hallway in high alert.

Peeking his head through the doorframe leading to the living room, his eyes widened and for a moment he felt dizzy. He threw his bag unconsciously and in shock stared at the two people sitting at the dinner table.

“...Mother…? Father…?” (Ichirou)

His parents were there, he hadn't seen them for almost a year, and without previous notice, the two were now there in front of him.

“It’s been a while, son.” (Sumire)

“Have you been doing well?” (Issei)

0