Chapter 2
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dective Garam sat on his chair swinging. His keys and gun were on the table next to an envelope. Inside the envelope was some pictures of Namkyu and Kitae. 

Yoohan had foolishly submitted them to the chief's table but because Garam was present that day ,he went and stole them before the chief got a hold of the envelope. Mr Yoohan must have not been thinking straight that day because a few pictures don't really prove anything except raise suspension of course. 

After he opened them and saw the contents, he was sort of conflicted. He wants to bring down Kitae who is more corrupt than the word itself but that comes at the expense of Namkyu. Though he doesn't know Namkyu and have only worked on one case together, he thinks he is a good kid that won't last behind bars . Furthermore he collected intel on him and figured that he is the only guardian of a teenager that is rock-bottom at school. Those two seem to have a good relationship and if they separate, a lot of bad stuff is gonna happen.

This on its own presented itself as an difficult matter when he was devising a way to bring Kitae to his knees.

The reason he wants Kitae to be locked up is because he works for a team of people that brought injustice to the former chief of the homicide department and are currently causing a stair up in the city. Thanks to Kitae winning cases in a row despite the concrete evidence , solid motive and shaky alibis that culprits present,  they still manage to live their lives as free civilians while some even went to the extent of framing innocent people.  . Eight of the arrests that have been made in this jurisdiction have been blown by Kitae . On the last case , it was said that if Won walks free then Garam kicks the boot. The station can't make nine wrongful arrests with Garam's name showing up in all arrest warrants. 

So knowing that his badge could get taken away from him thanks to Kitae, he just lost it and decided to take a backseat on everything. Just then Yoohan made that breakthrough thanks to Namkyu 's facts. He wanted to hug Namkyu after he made that testimony but that temporary joy was replaced by guilt over the fact that he is about to become a bait to catch a bigger player namely Park Kitae. 

He picked up the phone and he dialed someone called 'Nicki'.

Nicki was a suspect in the third case and after Kitae' bosses were trying to frame him, Yoohan's colleague Park KangDae proved him innocent and the case was dropped as there was no solid evidence proving anyone else guilty 

What had happened was that Nikki's father was found dead at his home. The person who killed him used plastic bag asphyxiation and they hung him. 

Nikki and his dad always fought about his gambling problems that were bringing debts that Nikki was paying alone. One day the man stole Nikki's cards and he gave all the money away only to borrow again. He didn't tell Nikki everything so Nikki was just angry about the part he revealed of getting another loan. Out of fury he threatened his father and ran away to drown his sorrows

The following days, he couldn't find his cards and he thought he had lost them while he was out drink over his father's stress . He reported the matter only later to receive a message saying all his money was withdrawn. Since his father was the only one who knew about his pins and chequebooks , he was the first suspect. 

Without wasting time he went to the bank  to confirm it and then to confront his father but he found him hanging with a bag over his head . 

Nikki tried to explain everything  to the police but they didn't believe  it . So they pushed him to court until KangDae mentioned that the distance between the bank and the victim's house is too long . Even if Nikki was riding a sportscar on an empty road he still wouldn't make it in time to kill his father. Furthermore Nikki knew the kind of threats his father was receiving from the loan-sharks . Obviously the man didn't plan on killing his dad because his corpse had no benefit to him but he did it to teach him a lesson. 

The court dismissed the issue and then Yoohan asked how come Nikki was arrested on allegations . A rookie police man , Siwoo was revoked of his badge and Nikki walked free  . Later that night, Nikki was beaten black and blue for his father's mistakes.

He decided to end his life by jumping over the famous 'crossover bridge' that is popular for suicides. As he was climbing over the banister, a homeless lady passed by and asked him what was the matter but he simply cried .

The lady took him then he brought him to the police station instead of hospital as the police will without a doubt watch over him . And that is where he first met Garam. With time they made a deal. Garam pays him to do all jobs under the radar and some money is taken to the gang-group that killed his father. 

" Kitae is handling another case in another country. He just took an evening flight out. By the looks if it , it must be illegal. And we still can't find Siwoo nor Jena", he spoke softly before asked him to check.

He hung up and pulled his phone gallery.

There was a picture of a document proving that a different officer was given a warrant to arrest Nikki but the question becomes how did Siwoo get dragged into this mess. The leader must have thought because he is fresh out of the academy then he doesn't have a lot to lose. If Siwoo testifies that he was forced then Garam might stand a chance to bring down the station in the west and prove Nikki's innocence as well as find his killer along with getting KwangSun , the mafia heir behind bars. .

" Garam, there is a distress call near the Namsen Bridge. A man was found there", BomSoek , station's number one secretary peeked over him and screamed 

( Thirty minutes later)

" Brace yourself", YeongHwan , Garam's partner told him as they stood at downstream. 

A headless man was dragged from the river and laid lifeless  in a bodybag. He had a two ligature marks and when they looked to the bridge and they saw a rope. His head had floated underneath the bridge and someone rescued him only to find him without a body.

(An hour later)

" He was not carrying an id, which is typical of suicides. The rope obtained is substantial of all suicides but what I don't understand is this mark right here.", HyoSon pointed to the second deep mark. It was a bit bruised signaling that it caused death but the other similar one matches the head  disjunction point as well as the rope obtained 

" It means that cause of death wasn't cause of decapitation.", Namkyu added as he was busy snapping pictures of the deceased before he began assessing the victim.

" What do you mean?",

" The same rope was used to create both marks but each mark caused a different result. One death and the other decapitation", he concluded and rested his arms at the foot of the bed.

HyoSon stared at him and she pulled off the curtain then started to take notes of all marks on his body including razor cuts, old knee scratches and the post-mortem coloration by the rescuer 

She took the sample of hair, his blood and fingerprints. She checked his nails and measured everything from weight, height all the way to width.

His body was extremely cold from being in water and bloating is what helped it to surface. Though she estimates time of death to be last night she can't really be sure until she has went through all nine of the methods. Of course it would be ridiculous to go step by step but if she can cover atleast six using forensic science, he estimation would be very reason. So she had to take his stomach contents. 

After an hour  of swabbing and bottling external surface findings, she opened his stomach then she extracted the stuff and placed it on the isle of samples that are going to be taken to the lab. Since there was nothing much left , she took the honors of delivering them

As for Namkyu, he was busy with taking samples from the head and determining the condition of the hyoid bone. He took more pictures and he went towards his record book , started to write everything on the piece of paper. 

He took the head towards the body and he concluded that the person seemed quite young and judging by the lack of reaction of the eye to ocular examination, he has been dead for more than ten hours.  He took a look at his nose and found some algae and when he went to check the bucal realized it was glued together.He took some pictures and then noted down the finding. Next he used some warm water to melt the glue.

He used a pain of tweezers and he managed to open the mouth and inside was a piece of paper.

He took it out and read it.

" Dear mom, I am sorry....", He continued. The victim apologized to their mother and when he turned the paper around and a large number three was written on it .

He looked further inside the mouth and he found a coin .

No matter how he tried to think about it, it didn't make sense that there was a coin in his mouth. He placed it on the table and continued to completely check for the mouth but it was empty.

"HyoSon, come look at this",  he called her the minute her heels clicked on the floor 

She took the letter and read it before asking if they should send it to the lab. He said to take a photo of everything before doing that. HyoSon agreed and afterwards she went back to the lab.

***

( Three policeman arrived at the coroner)

" Name of deceased is Jeon Jiwoo. Age is twenty-one. He was diagnosed with depression. Brain examination do verify that", HyoSon explained 

"His brain had abnormal hemorrhaging and he also had a suicide note and this coin. ", Namkyu added and he handed a copy out of the letter and a picture of the coin.

BomSoek looked at Namkyu up and down almost as if he wants to say something rude. As for Garam he looked at Namkyu almost as if he expects him to confess about some lethal secret. Nonetheless Garam silently grabbed the letter and he read it.

" Thanks , we will go and inform the deceased's family but can I ask why you are probing so deep into the victim ? ", YeongHwan checked HyoSon who checked with Namkyu before responding

" The victim has two ligature marks. The bruised one is what broke his hyoid bone but the second one lead to decapitation. Also the coin and note were in his mouth.  the abnormal hemorrhaging is found in strangulation which is caused by hanging. If he died from jumping, there wouldn't be that much bleeding. The decapitation is post-mortem.", Namkyu explained softly 

" Someone carried him there? ", YeongHwan echoed

0