Yosemite Valley Pt1 #43
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What have we done?” said Sheriff Gunman. Him and the other Sheriff’s were in shock, staring at the fire where the man had just died.

Hugo and Mordecai gave each other a quick side eye, the two slowly split from the group.

“Hold it!” said Gunman. He and the other sheriff’s pointed their guns at the group. “Not another step!”

“Don't move!” said another sheriff.

Hugo and Mordecai stopped and put their hands up. The others did the same, even Lila.

“Gunman?” said another party. The voice came from behind the sheriffs. A couple of them turned around to see several families walking up the road.

“Woah now,” said a sheriff. He put his gun away and the others quickly did the same. “Yall arent supposed to come up here!”

“The town’s been overrun!” said a scared mother.

The sheriffs glanced at each other. Without words, they started walking to the town, leading the people away from the fire.

Hugo and the group lowered their hands and went in a circle. Hugo took Lila by the hand.

“What was that?” said Jacob.

“Something we weren't supposed to see,” said Hugo.

“They were gonna shoot us you know,” said Carmen, looking at Hugo.

“Are you sure?” said Hugo.

Carmen opened her mouth but didn't speak.

“They wanted to, but it’s too much of a risk,” Hugo started. “How are they gonna explain the gunshots? Are they gonna kill a kid? How do they explain that her entire group went missing?” 

The group was silent for a moment.

“Okay,” said Carmen. “Then what?”

Hugo stepped closer and spoke softer.

“I think I know what’s going on,” said Hugo. He looked to the fire, trying to see past it but the brightness made him look away. It was the only light source that night. “How far do you think that suit can take him before it burns up?”

“What are you saying?” said Carmen.

“Remember they said that people flocked to Yosemite when the outbreak happened?” said Hugo. “Then the fires happened and the people on the outside stayed in Oakhurst…but what about the people on the inside? They’re still alive. They don't want people to discover what they have so they scare the sheriffs into keeping it a secret. If people find out, then people die.”

Mordecai nodded, forming something in his mind.

“You understand?” said Hugo.

“They got secrets,” said Genesis. They were all thinking about what Hugo said.

“What are we gonna do about it?” Jacob asked.

“I’m gonna get in,” said Hugo.

“How you think you gonna do that?” Mordecai asked.

“I’m thinking…they know that we know something,” said Hugo. “When that happens, they come out to kill one of us. So, when they come out, we get them before they get us. I take the suit, I get in-”

“What about us? How do we know you’re coming back,” said Mordecai.

Carmen was already shaking her head at Hugo.

Hugo looked down for a moment. “I’ll find a way in for you. They can't have only one heat suit, right? And if I die, you’ll know.”

“You’re gonna send Lila through the fire?” said Carmen sternly.

Hugo looked down at Lila, who was leaning onto his leg, fighting to stay awake.

“I’ll find another way,” said Hugo affirmingly to Carmen.

Jacob smacked his right arm, drawing everyone’s attention, “Sorry, there was a bug,” he said. “Can we go back now?” he asked.

“No, we wait,” said Hugo.

“No,” said Carmen immediately. “You really want Lila here all night?”

“I don’t,” said Hugo. He turned to Jacob, “Jacob, go back to Oakhurst, if it’s safe come back and- no.” Hugo paused. “I’m not putting Lila in those people’s hands. Jacob, go and get a tent and supplies, bring it back here.”

“Woah dude I’m not your servant,” said Jacob to Hugo. He saw Carmen’s look and remembered what she said to him. Hugo didn't notice Carmen’s look at Jacob but saw how Jacob’s attitude changed. “Nevermind, I’m on it,” Jacob said rather defeatedly. He left down the road into the darkness.

“Genesis go with him please,” said Hugo.

“Woah, nah,” said Mordecai, stepping forward, “That’s my girl you're talking to.”

“I’ll go,” said Carmen, unhappily. She followed Jacob into the darkness.

“What was that?” said Hugo to Mordecai. “Genesis can think for herself, she doesn't need you to-”

Mordecai pulled a knife and pointed it at Hugo’s neck. He seemed to almost tower over Hugo. The fires illuminated the part of his face that was shot and sewn back together. “Watch your mouth little man. Don't get too-”

Hugo snatched the knife and pulled Mordecai’s arm to the ground. He hit the road with a thud and Hugo put his foot on Mordecai’s chest. Mordecai squirmed in pain trying to scratch off the pebbles that embedded themselves into his back. Lila was left standing alone, she was barely awake but saw Hugo putting his foot on Mordecai.

“This knife is mine now,” said Hugo.

Mordecai clenched his jaw, in pain from hitting the rocky road. “Fine,” he said through his teeth.

Hugo removed his foot from Mordecai’s chest, but Genesis immediately tackled Hugo to the ground. The knife fell out of his hand.

“How dare you!” Genesis shrieked. She clawed at Hugo with her nails. Her hair flailed maniacally.

“Stop! Stop!” Hugo said. 

“We saved you!” she screamed. Hugo’s blood was thrown to the nearby trees. He grabbed Genesis by the neck and threw her into the ground. She clawed at his arm, not letting go.

He put his foot on her chest and pried her from his arm. Stepping back, Hugo looked for the knife but it was gone. He glanced around and saw Lila sitting down, half asleep, with Mordecai squatting behind her with the knife in his hand.

“We can talk about this,” said Hugo.

SHINK. A metal bolt came from the fire and flew through Mordecai’s head. He toppled over, dropping the knife. Hugo jumped back behind a tree.

“NO!” Genesis shrieked. She ran out onto the road to get Mordecai.

SHLUNK. Another bolt broke open Genesis’s head. She collapsed and her brains scattered across the road.

Hugo saw Lila asleep in the middle of the road. He peaked out from the tree to get a look at the person.

THUNK. A bolt fired at Hugo but hit the tree and bounced off into the forest. He stayed behind the tree listening while also watching Lila from where he was.

The person in the heat suit was walking from the fire and was holding a metal spring-loaded crossbow. They were walking to Lila.

“Get away from her!” Hugo screamed. He peaked out once more.

FWOSH. A bolt flew right where Hugo was about to move his head.

He could hear the springs in the bow stretch as they reloaded. Hugo knew that was the time to strike but hesitated.

“Who’s there!” said a man from down the road.

Hugo looked over to see Sheriff Gunman returning with Jacob and Carmen tied up.

“Watch out!” said Hugo.

The person in the suit, fired the crossbow at Sheriff Gunman. SHINK. Right between the eyes. Sheriff collapsed and Jacob and Carmen scattered for cover.

Hugo ran out, tackling the person. The crossbow fell out of their hands. “Who are you?” Hugo said. He barely overpowered the person, pinning them to the gound through the suit. They were really warm and in some parts almost scorching. “Help me!” Hugo said, unduring the burning sensations in his cuts. Jacob and Carmen ran up to Hugo and held down the person by their left and right arms. Hugo found the zipper and started unzipping.

Through the suit, the person started to yell. “No! Stoooop! They’ll kill me! They’ll kill me!” they shrieked. It sounded like a young man, maybe Hugo’s age.

Hugo unzipped the first layer down to the lower back and found another zipper underneath. Unzipping that he found a thick layer of heat resistant material. Pulling that appart was another zipper covered in strange rubber pipes. Finally under that, he found the person inside. He grabbed them by the hair and pulled them out. 

The muffled screams became clear. It was a man around Hugo’s age and size. “Let me go!” he screamed. His limbs were mostly out of the suit so Jacob and Carmen helped Hugo removed the suit. The boy was wearing a sleeveless white shirt and boxerbriefs under it all, and was extremely sweaty.

They tossed him onto the pavement where he got up, found a stick and waved it at the group. “Get back! Get back!” In the fire light, he looked weak and afraid, and he was.

Hugo dropped the suit and stepped toward the metal crossbow. He moved his hand near it and could feel the warm aura around the metal. He instead went for the knife and stood between Mordecai’s and Genesis’s bodies.

“He killed them,” said Hugo to Jacob and Carmen.

“Look man, I was just following orders,” the boy said.

“Then follow these orders,” Hugo said. He stepped toward the boy, the boy swung the stick but Hugo snatched it away, snapped it over his knee and tossed it into the forest. “Stay here and don’t try anything. Sit.” They boy sat against the tree. Hugo walked to Sheriff Gunman’s body and took the gun. He handed it to Carmen. “Kill him if he tries anything,” Carmen wasnt happy but she gripped the gun and turned to the boy.

Hugo grabbed the suit and began putting it on.

“What are you doing?” said the boy.

Hugo didnt respond. Carmen pointed the gun at the boy. The boy shut his mouth.

“How far is the other side?” Hugo asked. He turned his head to the boy as he started zipping up the first layer.

“Not far,” the boy said.

“If I die, you die too. Remember that,” Hugo said. The boy nodded acceptingly. When the first layer was zipped up, a screen covered Hugo’s face. “Jacob, zip me up,” Hugo said. His voice was muffled. Jacob helped Hugo zip up the rest of the suit.

When the suit was completely on, Hugo took Mordecai’s knife. He stepped close to Carmen. “Watch Lila for me, please,” he said softly through the suit. Carmen didnt respond and was only staring at the boy.

Hugo nodded and started walking through the fire. The heat in inside the sui rose drastically but it was bearable, though his cuts burned like we was on a got grill.

He glanced back to see Carmen and Jacob watching him as he walked. He passed by the pile of bone and charred flash. Coming over and down a hill, he couldnt see Carmen and Jacob anymore. He was surrounded by a wasteland of fire and flaming trees.

The heat was immense, Hugo sped up. ‘This isnt what the boy said it was,’ he thought. Looking ahead, there was no other side. In a panic he sped up practically to a run. Sweat began to pool at the bottom of the suit. It felt like it began to boil up.

He went into a full sprint. The baggy suit thrashed around him with each step. The screens would get tossed aside, obscuring his view. He tripped, falling forward over an exposed treebranch and getting splinters in the sleeves. Heat began to flow in from the holes. Hugo got up and continued. Feeling something begin to change in his flesh. His vision began to fail him, almost burring completely. 

“Ahhh!” he said, climbing up a hill. At the top he couldnt safely slow down, so he tumbled down the dirt. He accepted that this was his final mistake, as his body was beaten up by the rocks on the way down.

SPLASH

He felt a rapid cooling sensation, like an aura began to grow around him. Almost like he was floating in space, he turned over. Through the mask of the suit he saw the fires on the mountain tops that illuminated the night sky. 

‘Wait a sec’ Hugo thought.

His senses came back to him, and he realized the suit was filling up with water. He thrashed his body around to feel a rocky floor not a foot under him. He stood up realizing he fell in a creek and the water had began to pool around him.

The suit was like a water balloon and streams of water poured out of the tears in the fabric. Reaching for the zipper in the back, he started pulling apart the suit. Going through the zippers, struggling to undo them, he was exhaughested and wet by the time the final layer came off. His clothes were wet. His wounds stung. 

A cool breeze combed through the forest. As the trees rattled, Hugo shook off the water. He walked uphill to the fires. He shook like an anxious dog. His legs would buckle occasionally and he would hit the ground, landing on the twigs and pebbles.

Getting closer to the fires, the air got warmer. The trees were less dense covering less of the sky. The moon was clear and bright, illuminating Yosemite Valley. Hugo waited by the fire until the water dried from his clothes and body. Gazing over Yosemite Valley, he could see Half Dome in the distance (one of Yosemitie’s iconic mountains). The two waterfalls on either side of the valley were flowing more than he had ever seen.

‘Wait till Lila sees this’ Hugo thought.

At the center of the valley, through the thick forest, was light. What seemed to be campfire smoke rose through the trees. Hugo stood up to get a better look. He squinted but could not see through the thickness of the forest, but the campries in the valley went out almost all at once.

Hugo watched the valley closely, looking for a light through the trees but found nothing. A sense of dread fell over him. ‘They know I’m here’ he thought. 

He got down from the fires. His clothes were still slightly damp but manageable. Trying to figure out where exactly he was, he knew that there had to be a road nearby. So he walked down diagonally to the left. He kept up the pace as to not risk encountering another person. All he had was Mordecai’s combat knife but if the guy from before had a spring loaded crossbow, the chances of survival was low.

The terrain began to level out, but Hugo knew he wasnt at the bottom. Taking another step, he felt stone. He walked onto a manmade place built into the mountain. He recognized it from his trips when he was younger.

It was a tourist viewpoint where cars could park and people could take pictures of the valley. Hugo didnt know what it was called, but he knew how to get there. It was on the same road that went through Oakhurst and into the fire.

Now it the spot was completely empty. Before, it was always packed with visitors.

Hugo walked across the pavement, expecting a car to drive by, but nothing happened. He found himself at the entrance to the viewpoint, but the road did not drive around the mountain, it went through the mountain. 

Hugo stood at the end of a large tunnel. A tunnel that he knew went under the fires. A slight breeze went through it. There was not car inside and he could see to the very end. At the other end, it was pitch black and not a hint of orange. 

‘Is this a way in?’ Hugo thought. Wanting to confirm his suspicion, he entered the tunnel. He held the combat knife ready to strike anything inside. With each step, he could see less and less of his path until finally, he found the other end.

It was blocked of by logs of wood and stone. He pushed up against it but it was rock solid. Though, at the top of the tunnel, there was a small hole that peaked to the other side. He climbed up the logs and stone to find the exit to the tunnel, and no fire in sight.

‘This is it,’ Hugo thought with excitement.

He wanted to shout but calmed himself. He climbed back down from the wall.

‘Now to get back’ he thought. He started through the tunnel once more.

At the end of the tunnel, Hugo stepped into the open air. Knowing that if people were searching for him that they would be near, so he quietly dashed into a nearby bush. He hid himself from the empty tourist spot and listened.

The trees were still rattling from the wind, Hugo worried that their noise would drown out the sound of nearby enemies.

He had to think of a way out. He could try again with the heat suit, but in it’s condition he doubted it. Glancing down the mountain, he spotted a river that flowed from Oakhurst and into the valley. ‘That’s it,’ Hugo thought.

RUSTLE went the leaves behind Hugo.

He snatched his combat knife and swung it behind him. He cleanly sliced some leaves and twigs and he heard the sound of a small four-legged animal run away. In his mind, he imagined it to be a fox of some kind.

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP Hugo was surrounded with heavy footsteps. He was grabbed at his shoulders and thrown into the open.

“Oof!” Hugo let out as he hit the concrete. He got up and held the knife ready to fight.

Click click went a gun from the bush.

Hugo’s pupils dialated as he gazed into the bush, awaiting for the gun to fire.

Five people in bush camo stepped out. Their faces were obscured by the get up, Hugo could only see their leafy silhouettes outlined by the fires and the moonlight. Two had spears, two had large machete’s and one had a double barreled shotgun. Hugo kept his stance.

The two with the spears pointed them at Hugo, keeping at a distance.

From the foliage, the damaged heat suit was thrown into view and landed before Hugo.

The one with the shotgun spoke. “Where is he?”

“Why should I answer?” said Hugo.

“Death,” they whispered back. The foliage began to whisper amongst itself.

“Yeah, I’ve heard that before,” Hugo said. He almost rolled his eyes. “Ill tell you, but put down the gun.”

They cackled quiety amongst themselves.

“Look, if i don’t go back, that kid you send through the fire dies too. You really wanna risk that?” Hugo added.

“That’s what we want,” the shotgun holder said.

“Uh, okay…” Hugo broke his stance. “What if…”

A whisper grew all around Hugo, almost as if it was coming from right over his shoulder. He jumped aside to see who it was but no one was there. Hugo readjusted his stance. He looked back at the five people who were all looking at him. The shotgun holder nudged the gun in the direction of the road.

“Walk,” they whispered.

“Nah, I don’t think so,” Hugo said as he shook his head.

“What?” whispered the shotgun holder.

Hugo flung the knife at the person and ducked.

BAM the blast echoed through the valley. Hugo felt some shrapnel fly over his head. He looked up to the the knife lodged in the center of the person’s skull. The two spear holders charged at him but Hugo took one spear and pulled it forward, forcing the person to stumble. The body tripped and fell on the other spear, knocking it out of the holder’s hands.

The two machete holders charged at Hugo, but he was too fast for them. He grabbed the first by the wrist and twisted them into the other. As the colided Hugo dashed to the one who was dead with a knife in their head. He snatched the shot gun and pointed it at the four people.

“Hold up! Hold up! Don’t move!” said Hugo. He waved the gun at the four and they all raised their hands, dropping their weapons.

He paused, and pondered what to do. The four in camoflauge glanced between each other through their leafy masks, almost insecurely.

“Take me to your leader,” Hugo demanded. “Now!” He snatched the knife from the dead one’s head and nudged the four of them to start walking.

Whispers grew in Hugo’s ear, like someone was over his shoulder, but he didn’t look back.

“Let’s go,” said Hugo, coldly.

The four began walking through the viewpoint to the road that took them to the valley.

The walk dragged on through pitch black forest, but the moonight and the fires on the mountain tops gave just enough light for Hugo to see. All four of the camouflaged people were still there, walking forward.

When the road leveled out Hugo knew he was in the valley. It wasnt pitch black anymore and an orange aura began to fill the night sky.

Hugo didnt speak. He kept his eyes on the four hostages.

Continuing on the road, it twisted and turned through the trees. They had passed by a point where the road merged with another that came from the other side of the valley. By that point, it was almost day. Birds were beginning to chirp and a cool breeze swept through the valley. Through the trees Hugo saw an open field filled with tents and crude wooden huts.

Children started waking up and began playing in the grass. Some would spot Hugo and the four hostages and only stare as they walked by.

Hugo shook his head after making eye contact with one of the kids. The hands that gripped the shotgun became sweaty. He lowered the shotgun and walked casually, looking away from the children.

Continuing through the roads, they passed by some structures. Hugo recognized it from the trips he and his family used to take. It was a collection of buildings like a hotel, some shops, the local post office and a small village for Yosemite employees. Hugo remembered all of it. He walked down these streets with his parents and brother when he was young; before Lila was born.

Finally, nearing the end of the road as it curves to loop around. Hugo is led onto a dirt path. Only a few feet off the road was the local court house. Hugo didnt remember this. It was tucked away in the back of the valley.

Entering the front doors, Hugo was met with people filing papers and someone at the front desk. The people in camo nodded at the receptionist, who then buzzed them into the next room. Hugo and the receptionist locked eyes. She had her make up done and her hair in a bun with a clean suit. 

The four hostages led Hugo down a short hall and into a court room. It seemed to be in session. It seemed to be full of people with a whole jury, lawyers and gallery.

The woman in the judge seat looked furious.

“Excuse me? No firearms in the court house. Please leave or be removed.” The judge took a glance at Hugo. “Clear the room. Meeting is adjourned.” She hit her gavel on the podium and the people left, all except a few middle aged adults and security officers that stood along the walls.

“What is the meaning of this?” said the judge.

Hugo readjusted his stance to face the judge. The shotgun was in one hand and lowered to his side. The four hostages sat in the gallery.

“I’m looking for a home,” Hugo said to the judge.

The court bursted out in laughter. Hugo gripped the shotgun harder.

HA HA HA HA HA HA rattled in Hugo’s head. He grew tense and struggled to keep it hidden.

The judge wiped a tear from her eye and looked to one of the camouflaged men. “Can you explain to me what happened?”

The camouflaged person spoke, but no longer in a whisper. “So like we sent Chris out to send a message, but this guy came back instead, like, wearing Chris’s suit,” said the camouflaged person.

“Oh,” said the judge, concerned. She looked at Hugo with wide eyes and tried to hold in a giggle. “Did you-” she couldnt hold down her smirk, “Did you kill him?” She held her lip trying not to laugh.

Hugo tilted his head at the judge, unsure how to answer. “What is- What’s so funny?”

The judge moved her hands as she spoke like Hugo was dumb, “Because…you’re looking for a home. We don’t have space for you.”

“So let me leave,” said Hugo.

The judge shook her head with a dumbfounded expression, “Sorry kid, you’re not leaving. That is, unless you tell us if you killed Chris or not.”

“If I die, Chris dies,” said Hugo.

“Great, that makes it easy for us,” said the judge. She hit her gavel on the podium and all the officers pulled out their pistols, pointing them at Hugo.

“Wait wait wait!” Hugo screamed with his hands up. He had dropped the gun beside him.

One of the camoflauged people walked over and took the gun. They aimed it at Hugo’s face.

Hugo held his breath and closed his eyes.

CLICK 

Nothing happened. Hugo opened one eye to find the judge smirking with that stupid dumfounded expression.

“What?” said Hugo. He turned to look down the barrel of the gun.

CLICK CLICK

“There’s nothing in there?” Hugo asked. If anyone spoke, Hugo couldnt have heard it over the sound of his beating heart.

The judge’s expression grew even more dumbfounded at Hugo.

“Well kid. You’re lucky. Look Hugo, I would kill you or have you tourtured for information-”

“How did you know my name?” Hugo interrupted.

“Oh, did I say Hugo? Sorry. It’s just that we’ve been in talks with an old friend of yours,” said the judge. She reached behind the podium and placed a walkie-talkie into view.

Hugo’s eyebrows furrowed into an angry expression.

“Does ‘Master,’ ring a bell?” the judge smiled.

Hugo stood still, eyeing the judge.

“Ooooh! Spooky,” the judge smiled. “Now look. He doesnt know where we are and he doesnt know you are here. You are going to bring back Chris so we can make sure he’s dead. Then we’ll kill you.”

“Why would I do that?” said Hugo.

“You have a little sister? Is that correct?” said the judge. “Chris told us what he saw before he last went into the fire. You have a whole crew back there huh? You don’t do what we say, we call your Master. Simple as that, and tell you what, you do what we say, your sister can live here.” The judge smiled.

Hugo glared at her through his eyebrows. Through his teeth he said, “fine.”

1