Yosemite Valley Pt4 #46
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Carmen and Lila walked up from behind Hugo. 

“What now?” Carmen asked.

“We meet the village,” Hugo answered. He took Lila’s hand and began following the road.

As they walked, the sound of the burning house got quieter and quieter until it was out of sight and out of mind.

It was almost pitch black. The moon shone through the treetops.

The road passed by some of the abandoned shops, cabin-themed dining areas, and the museum. Hugo recognized the Yosemite Valley Lodge through the trees.

“I’ve always wanted to spend a night there. What do you think?” Hugo asked Lila.

“Okay,” she said softly.

Hugo noticed the condition Lila was in, and realized how hungry each of them might be.

“We’ll find a room, and I’ll get us something to eat,” he assured them.

They walked through the lobby, finding some of the furniture and carpeting was scratched, but the structure itself was not destroyed. Through the halls, examining each room, they found one not as trashed as the others. It had two queen beds, almost stainless.

After Carmen and Lila got settled into their beds, Hugo left the hotel and wandered through the forest.

He followed the road to the collection of tents. As he entered the area, he could hear the villagers in their tents, crying for their dead members. No one was outside. Hugo walked to one tent where he could hear a man crying.

“Excuse me,” Hugo whispered softly from the outside. His shadow from the moon casted onto the tent.

The man sniffed up his sobs, “Yes?” he said weakly. He stayed inside the tent without looking.

“Can I please have some food? I have to feed two more people but I have nothing,” Hugo said.

“Sure,” the man answered. A shuffling came from inside the tent and the front zipper opened slightly. “Here,” he said. Three saran-wrapped sandwiches slipped out and Hugo caught them.

“Thank you,” Hugo said.

“No problem,” the man answered.

Hugo walked away and slight sobbing came from the tent once more.

At the hotel, Hugo, Carmen and Lila ate and went to sleep.

The next morning, Carmen woke up to find Hugo leaning on the windowsill, looking out to a grassfield right outside the window. Lila was still asleep. Carmen got up and looked out the window with Hugo. In the grassfield was a deer eating the grass.

“Cool,” said Carmen.

“Yeah,” Hugo answered. He took a deeper than usual breath. “I have to go,” Hugo said. “Can you watch Lila?” he asked.

Carmen exhaled from her nose and coldly glared at the deer. “Sure,” she said.

Hugo grabbed his gun and knife, and left the hotel. The morning was gloomy, and a fog filled the gaps between the trees. He walked to the village to find the people sitting around a single great campfire. It was quiet among them.

As he approached, one young woman noticed him and turned her head to him. The others quickly looked at him as well. As Hugo saw the eyes pop up, he stopped and looked down at himself. His shirt was stained with blood, Mordecai's knife was in his hand and the gun could be seen through his pant’s pocket. He looked back up slowly, then turned his head to look for something to stand on.

A few feet away was a picnic table. He climbed onto it and stood on top, facing the village. 

“I’m not here to kill you. Your leader was cruel and selfish,” Hugo said. 

“But you killed her!” said a random angry man.

“She threatened my sister,” Hugo answered calmly.

The looks of the village's eyes changed slightly.

Hugo’s face went from calm to stern. “Anyone who threatens me or my family will be killed, no exceptions!”

“So what, you're our boss now?” said the same man.

“I thought that girl told you already,” Hugo said.

“I did!” said the girl. She stood up as she spoke. “I did,” she repeated more quietly, glancing nervously across the rest of the village. She sat back down.

“Good.” Hugo breathed in. “Again, I’m not here to kill you. Someone much worse is coming and I’m here to help you survive.”

“Yeah right!” said the angry man. He stood up and he took a wooden spear from behind him. He was a large red-head with a thick mustache. “I’m not taking orders from no murderin’ kid! Come on! We can kill him right now! He can't take all of us!” he said to the village. They all watched as the man stomped over with a furious scowl. He threw the spear at Hugo and it whizzed by Hugo’s head. Hugo leapt from the table onto the man. 

They hit the ground with a THUD.

“Dammit!” the man said, struggling to push Hugo away. As Hugo got the man to face downwards, Hugo raised his knife in the air.

“Help me!” the man screamed, reaching out to the villagers.

STAB…STAB STAB 

Hugo got up off the body and wiped the blade on the grass. He pointed the knife at two women who were on the verge of tears. “You…” he took a breath. “Throw the body in the river,” Hugo said with a terrifying glare. The two women were shivering, just looking at Hugo.

“Go!” Hugo said. He shook the knife in a brush motion to the body.

The two women got up and carried the body into the forest.

“Any questions?” Hugo said to the rest of the village. No one responded, they only starred. “We need to prepare for the one who’s coming,” he said. He pointed at four men who sat together, all of varying ages. Beside them was an empty spot, where the first and now dead man used to be. “You four. We will hunt for meat. The rest of you, put together all the food we have, start tracking and rationing. We need it to last. Be done by the end of the day,” said Hugo.

The village got up and started with their business. The four men got up and stood beside Hugo. Two had spears and two had wooden stakes. Hugo led them into the forest across the valley.

“You guys know how to hunt?” said Hugo.

“I would assume you knew,” said one guy. He was the shortest of the group and had a thick sweater. He carried a spear.

“Nah, I assumed one of you would know,” said Hugo.

One of the men stopped walking. A skinny guy, late 40’s. “This guy’s a kid, are we serious right now?” he said with his hand out to Hugo. He glanced at the other guys.

Hugo kept walking, and the other guys did too.

The skinny man followed from behind, mumbling to himself.

“I know how to hunt,” said the third man. He had long hair and a thicker stature.

Hugo turned to him, “Good. Show us, so we can learn,” said Hugo.

The man nodded and walked ahead of the group.

Carmen and Lila walked to the village. They found the villagers collecting a pile of food onto the picnic table. Sandwiches, chips, raw meat. 

“What’s going on?” Carmen asked one of the villagers. They paused and looked at Carmen and Lila.

“Rationing,” they said, and continued with their work.

Carmen glanced around, looking for Hugo. Instead, she noticed a group of children sitting together and playing in the dirt. Carmen looked at Lila and saw Lila had noticed the kids too.

“Can I go there?” said Lila, still looking at the kids.

Carmen nodded, “Sure,” she said. As she watched Lila walk over, the other parents looked at Lila too, and they all called their kids. By the time Lila had walked over to the group, there were no kids remaining. Lila quickly ran back to Carmen with a frown on her face, and wrapped her arms around Carmen’s leg.

Carmen sighed. She knew the parents were watching her but did not look over to them.

“I wanna go back to the room,” Lila said to Carmen with her head pressed against Carmen’s leg.

“Okay. Come on,” Carmen said. She walked Lila back to the hotel, where it was quiet. Their stomachs grumbled, so they waited for Hugo to return.

Later in the evening, Hugo and the four men returned. They had caught six squirrels and two foxes. The village had finished counting all the food they had, and Hugo inspected their work. He devised a plan to make the food last while also considering a hunting schedule. The village was afraid of Hugo, so they listened to whatever he said.

Hugo came back to the hotel room with a paper plate of cooked squirrel. Carmen and Lila had found a coloring book and crayons, so they were coloring when Hugo got back.

“Hey,” Hugo said, opening the door. 

“Hey,” Carmen answered. She looked up at Hugo, saw the food, then continued coloring.

“This is for you two,” Hugo said. He placed the plate onto a countertop beside the door.

“Thank you,” Carmen said.

“Yeah,” Hugo said. He walked past the two and sat on his bed. He covered himself with the blanket and rested. He faced the wall away from Carmen and Lila. From there he had a view of the mountaintop through the window as he lay there. It was still burning up there, and the sky was still gloomy.

As the sky went dark, Carmen and Lila went to bed. Lila slept beside Hugo and Carmen had her own bed. Hugo did not move at all, and did not know if they ate the cooked squirrel. He stared at the wall until it was pitch black, waiting to fall asleep, but his eyes stayed open.

The next morning, it was cold and gloomy again. Carmen lazily moved around in her bed trying to find a warm spot in her raggedy blanket. Through the ruffling of her bed sheets she heard footsteps coming from the door. Her eyes shot open and she stayed still. Slowly, she moved her hand to her gun that was between the mattress and the wall.

The door opened, Carmen snatched the gun and sat upward with the gun pointed at the door. As it opened, Carmen caught a glimpse of the other bed, Hugo was gone. She looked back to see Hugo at the door who was stopped in his place, staring at the gun.

He gave Carmen a quick eyebrow raise, and she put the gun away. She watched Hugo as he shut the door and walked to his bed. He looked over to Carmen once more and Carmen shook her head as if to say “Why were you gone?”

Hugo shook his head dismissively and started to lie down, but Carmen stood up and walked to the door. Hugo watched. Carmen opened it and glared at Hugo, moving her head toward the door.

Hugo sighed and got up again. He and Carmen walked out of the room into the carpeted hallway and she shut the door behind them. The building was dimly lit from the gloomy sky that peered through the windows.

“You can't do that,” said Carmen.

“Do what?” Hugo said.

“Leave,” she said slightly louder.

“I came back,” said Hugo. His face was cold to Carmen.

“I’m not Lila’s caretaker.” Carmen pointed at Hugo. “She’s your sister.”

Hugo tilted his head slightly, “Then why haven't you left?”

Carmen looked almost disgusted. Her mouth hung open for a second, but she shut it and her eyes glanced away. She looked down, and a frown began to form.

“Uh,” Hugo said, confused.

“I have nothing, Hugo,” she said. Tears began to form in her eyes.

Hugo was unsure what to do, so he hesitated. Carmen looked up at Hugo and saw him holding his breath. She wiped away her tears and regained her stance.

“Where were you last night?” she said, looking somewhere behind Hugo.

“Uh,” Hugo shook his head, “What?”

“I can see the bags under your eyes, were you up all night?” Carmen repeated.

Hugo rubbed under his eyes, trying to make the bags disappear.

“That’s not gonna go anything,” Carmen added.

“Okay…” Hugo moved his hands away from his face and opened them at Carmen to get her to stop. “Just, dont worry about it.”

“If you’re gonna leave me with your sister then you better tell me where you went,” Carmen stepped closer.

Hugo noticed the advance, and faced Carmen with a cold look. “No,” he said, raising his nose.

Carmen’s upper lip curled, and her face was slightly upset.

“Come on, we gotta get going,” Hugo said coldly. He opened the door to the room, “Wake up Lila, it's time to go!” he announced. Carmen rolled her eyes.

As the three of them were walking to the village, they listened to the sound of woodpeckers banging against the trees. The noise echoed throughout the valley. Distant roars of a waterfall could be heard. No one spoke on the way there.

Arriving at the village, the villagers were all warming themselves by the fire.

“Alright, today, I and the same four men will go hunting. The rest of you, I want a wooden fence around the perimeter of the camp,” he said to the villagers.

The village was quiet for a moment, all of them looked at Hugo.

“Why do we need a fence, your highness?” said the skinny guy in his late 40’s from across the fire.

Hugo eyed him with an annoyed look. “We are going to build off of it. Plus, if anything were to try to enter the area, wouldn't you rather hear a broken fence rather than someone’s tent being torn apart?”

The skinny man in his late 40’s rolled his eyes, slightly, not noticing that Hugo saw.

“Okay, get going,” Hugo clapped twice. “If you need to cut down wood, don't cut the wood around here, cut the wood from that area.” Hugo pointed further into the valley, away from the entrance. The villagers got up and began work. Hugo and the four men began to walk into the forest, when Hugo was pulled by his arm. He turned around to see Carmen.

“Hugo, I don't think you should go,” said Carmen. She had a look in her eye, reminding Hugo of the earlier conversation.

“I’m going hunting,” Hugo said almost angrily. He jerked his arm away and started walking. 

Carmen watched the five guys disappear into the forest and when they were gone, she turned around to look for Lila, who was sitting by herself in a patch of grass. The other parents who were working on the fence would occasionally glance over to Lila and Carmen, as if to make sure they were keeping their distance. 

Carman grumbled to herself. She sucked it up and put on a stern look.

The thicker man with long hair who knew how to hunt, led the men through the forest. “Today, we’re looking for a field, maybe we can find a deer,” he said.

For a while as they walked, there was silence.

The short one with a large coat spoke up, “So who’s the girl?”

Hugo looked over, eyeing the guy for a second. “No one,” Hugo answered.

“Sure didn't seem like a no one,” said the fourth guy. He was brown-skinned, average height with a beer-belly.

“‘Nother one of your slaves?” said the skinny guy.

“No,” said Hugo without looking back, clearly annoyed.

“Shhh,” said the long haired one. He put his hand out to stop the others, they all looked ahead to see a grassy field with one deer grazing in the open. The men were silent. The long haired one licked his finger and pointed it upwards. Feeling a slight breeze, he looked over and nodded in reassurance. With a motion of his hand, he got the others to kneel down.

Hugo was looking intently at the deer and the others were blurs in the corner of his eye. A shiver went up his spike.

Snap went something behind him. In Hugo’s mind he thought the skinny guy was about to attack him. He swerved around, quickly snatching the knife from his pocket and aiming for the neck. Before the knife could make contact, Hugo stopped. He was about to stab the beer-bellied man, who was clearly not trying to attack. The skinny man was several feet back, not paying attention and the sound of Hugo swerving had scared the deer so the long haired man grumbled angrily. 

The beer-bellied man was frozen in fear. Hugo noticed a small fox running away into the forest. He lowered the knife, and the beer-bellied man exhaled. Hugo got up and stepped away from the near-murder victim. He put the knife away, and watched his shakey hands. 

The short man walked up to the beer-bellied man.

“Hey man, you alright?” he asked.

“Yeah, I just saw my life flash before my eyes,” he chuckled through a breath.

The short man looked over to Hugo, giving him a mean side eye.

The skinny man spoke up from a few feet away.

“You need to watch yourself,” the skinny man scoffed.

“You need to watch that mouth,” Hugo answered. He faced the entire group, “Let’s not forget who’s in charge here. I have the knife, I have the gun, you try anything, you’re dead. That’s it,” Hugo said.

The other men listened with upset looks. No one said another word for the rest of the hunt.

Carmen walked over to the villagers. “Do you need any help?” she asked.

No one answered, they just continued working. After a few cold glances from the villagers, Carmen walked away and sat on a bench. Lila was in her view and they waited for Hugo and the men to come back. By evening, the men had returned but Hugo was not with them.

Carmen immediately walked up to them, “Where is Hugo?” she asked.

The short one answered, “He wanted to stay behind.”

Carmen glared at them expecting someone to break but they all seemed content. “Fine, go help with the fence,” she said.

The men had an aura of annoyance that Carmen could feel as they passed her. “But he doesnt come back-”

“He’s alive lady!” said the short one without looking back. 

She waited for Hugo to return. It became dark, and there was no sign of him. Lila tugged on Carmen’s shirt.

“Can we go home now?” Lila asked.

Carmen looked once more at the forest but saw nothing. “Sure,” and she walked Lila back to the room.

They went to bed without saying much. Carmen stayed up expecting Hugo to walk through the door, but around midnight she fell asleep.

The next morning the door opened, and Hugo came in. Carmen sat up and watched him enter. He walked drowsily, with even baggier eyes. His clothes were different, cleaner now. Without a glance to Carmen he walked over to his bed beside Lila and dropped himself onto it. The mattress shook but Lila did not wake up.

Carmen got out of bed, not wanting to have to watch Lila again, but at the door she looked back. Instead, she sat on her bed, waiting for Hugo to wake up.

Lila woke up soon after. 

“I’m hungry,” Lila told Carmen.

“I know. We’ll go soon if Hugo doesn't wake up,” Carmen answered.

The morning turned to evening and Hugo was still sleeping. Carmen could hear Lila’s stomach grumble, and hers did too.

“Okay, lets go,” Carmen said. She took Lila by the hand and walked her to the village. There the people were having lunch already. Carmen walked up to the appointed person in charge of keeping track of the food. “Meals please,” she asked. 

The person handed them a plate of cooked squirrel.“This will feed two,” they said.

Carmen took the plate and sat with Lila on an empty picnic table. As they shared the cooked squirrel, Lila would look over to the other kids eating together.

“Hey Lila, you should go try to talk to them,” said Carmen.

“They don't like me,” Lila answered.

“Hmm,” said Carmen. “Let me try something.” She got up from the table and walked over to the other parents. Their conversation died as Carmen approached. They all looked down at their meals.

“My kid wants to play with your kids,” Carmen said.

“No,” a mother snapped back.

“Excuse me?” said Carmen.

“You people killed my husband,” said the mother.

“And my wife,” said a father. The others had more to say as they were all looking at Carmen with a hateful stare.

“And you think that’s okay?” said the mother.

Carmen leaned over the table, closing in on the group. “You need to listen to me and listen to me good. I did not kill nor did I want to kill any one of your husbands or wives. I’ve been trying to survive just like the rest of you, so if that means watching someone else’s kid then so be-”

“And sleeping with him too,” said another mom.

Carmen was appalled, “How dare you? He saved my life after everything went to hell, the least I can do is help him out. I have not slept with him once, ever. I have nothing without him,” she said with a desperation in her voice. “Just do me this favor, let the girl play with your kids.”

The parents glanced at each other, “Fine,” said a mother.

“Thank you,” Carmen said. She looked over to Lila and waved to her with a smile. When Lila noticed Carmen, she held a thumbs up and Lila walked over to the other kids with the plate of cooked squirrel.

“Can I sit down?” Lila asked. Her hands were squirming around the plate as she asked the question. The kids looked at her.

“Are you gonna kill us?” said a young boy.

“No,” said Lila.

“Ok then,” the boy answered. And they scooted over to let Lila sit. For a moment the kids were quiet. Lila sat still, staring at the cooked squirrel on her plate.

“My dad’s in heaven now,” said one girl across the table, who took a bite of her squirrel. Lila’s mouth slightly twitched into a frown.

“My dad didn’t believe in heaven,” said another girl to the first.

Lila stood up from the table and ran to Carmen, leaving the cooked squirrel behind.

Carmen was looking at Lila from the parent’s table and she caught Lila as she ran to Carmen. “It’s okay, it’s okay,” Carmen said. She walked over to the kids table, took the cooked squirrel, and ate separately with Lila at her own table.

As lunch went on, Carmen spotted Hugo walking to the village, and she glared angrily at him, expecting him to notice.

Hugo walked to the four men and motioned them to go hunting. Carmen immediately got up from her table and walked to Hugo.

“No you're not,” she said to Hugo.

“What?” said Hugo. The four guys looked at each other, unsure of what’s about to happen.

“You’re not going,” said Carmen. “You’re staying here. You four go, now,” she said.

“Hold on,” said Hugo, putting his hand out to the four. “What’s the-” Hugo made eye contact with Carmen and his upset expression faded away. “Fine,” he sighed. “Go,” he said to the four. “Don't come back without a deer,” he added. 

The four men grumbled amongst themselves as they got up and left.

“The rest of you finish the fence,” Hugo said. The village finished their meals and began to work. “What’s wrong?” Hugo asked, finally turning to Carmen. Carmen rolled her eyes and brought Hugo to the woods, out of earshot from the village.

“Why didn’t you come back last night?” she asked, almost shyly.

“No reason,” Hugo said.

“Dammit Hugo!” She stomped her foot. “If you died then what would happen to me?!” Carmen said.

Hugo nodded.

“What?” Carmen asked, waving her arms to her side. “Ugh!” she said. She kicked the dirt at Hugo.

“I’m sorry,’ Hugo said. 

“What?” Carmen responded with a head shake. “That’s all?”

“No,” Hugo stepped closer. “I get it. You’re worried about me,” he said.

“Yeah cause if you die, then I’m left with a kid and an angry mob,” Carmen said, pointing her thumb to the village.

Hugo took Carmen’s hand, a shiver went throughout her body and her lip curled. “Let me assure you that everything I do is for Lila and your protection. You are not an accessory to me. I need you to make all this work. Get it now?” Hugo said, looking into Carmen’s eyes.

Hugo’s hand felt warmer to Carmen. She noticed she was holding on a bit too tight and pulled it away. “I see,” she said. She rubbed her hand on her clothes. Through a breath she said, “Yeah, okay.”

“Okay,” said Hugo. “Can I go hunt?” Hugo asked.

“Yeah, sure, whatever,” Carmen answered. She crossed her arms and looked away.

Hugo nodded. He hesitated to leave, but left after a few seconds.

The four men walked into the forest.

“You see that?” said the short one.

“Is that his girl?” the skinny one asked.

“Looked like it,” said the long haired one.

“Who’s actually running the village?” said the beer-bellied one with a smirk.

The skinny one spoke again “Guys I really think we should-” 

“No,” the long haired one interrupted. “I can't risk letting my daughter go fatherless.”

“But it wouldn't be just you,” said the skinny one. “It would be all of us, all four of us! Think about it. We go hunting, he turns his back, and boom we get him.”

Their minds flashed what happened yesterday, realizing someone may die in the process of ambushing Hugo.

“What if we just push him somewhere? Like off the mountain,” the skinny one asked.

“Marik, no,” said the long haired one.

Marik grumbled. “You guys got a better idea? Sammy?”

Sammy, the short one, shook his head disapprovingly.

“We’re not happy about it, but it’ll be better not to lose anyone else. So let's just do what he says,” said the long haired one.

In the distance they heard someone approaching. They turned to see Hugo, so their conversation died.

Later that night, after Hugo and the men came back from the hunt and the fence was done being built, Hugo, Carmen, and Lila went back to the room. They put Lila to sleep but as Hugo started getting into his bed, Carmen walked out of the room. Curious, Hugo followed her from far behind. He followed her to the top of the hotel. The entire building was clear of wanderers and the top floor was almost spotless. Carmen finally stopped when she found the outer balcony of the top floor. She leaned over, looking down into the hotel pool. It was dirty, and decomposing body parts were drifting within it.

Hugo reached for the door to enter the balcony, but stopped. He looked up at Carmen who seemed to not know of Hugo’s presence. He backed away and went back to the room to sleep. 

Carmen listened to the silence of the forest that night. Hearing critters scurry across the trees. In her eyes, the ground below started to become familiar to her. Plans for a future started to form in her head.

She came back while Hugo was already in bed, but he pretended to be asleep.

Early the next morning, Carmen had woken up but did not get out of bed. She kept her eyes closed and stayed still, hoping to fall asleep again. Footsteps came from Hugo’s bed and walked out of the room. She opened her eyes, unsurprised that Hugo had left. She fell back asleep, with the last thing she saw being Lila sleeping in the bed. 

Birds chirped outside the window. Carmen opened her eyes to see the sun was out and Lila was gone.

“Lila?” Carmen said. She jumped out of bed. Hugo’s mattress was empty. 

Carmen quickly left the room. “Lila!” she called inside the hotel. Nothing.

“No!” she said.

“Where is she, Carmen?” said Hugo. The voice came from behind Carmen as if he spoke into her ear. She turned around with a jump to find no one there. Her heartbeat rose greatly. “Dammit,” she said with a panicked breath.

She ran out of the hotel, jerking her head left and right looking for Lila. “Lila!” it echoed through the forest, but no one answered. It was early evening now, the sun shined brightly through the trees. It was warmer than the previous days.

Carmen made her way to the village. She did not see Lila anywhere and the 4 men that Hugo hunts with were still there.

“Where is Hugo?” Carmen asked the group of parents.

They shook their heads, as if to say ‘no clue’.

“Have you seen our girl?” Carmen asked.

They shook their heads again.

“Don't freak out, I haven't seen my kid all morning either,” said a mother.

Carmen almost grinded her teeth. She turned her head, glancing across the village, there was no work going on. Carmen took her gun from her pocket and loaded it. “Everyone line up! Right now! On your knees!”

The parents and the villagers rushed to line up on their knees and had their hands in the air. 

“Woah chill out lady!” said one of the fathers.

Carmen pointed the gun at him. “No! I have a missing child here and I need to find her!” Carmen pointed to the left half of the line. “You! Scatter! Find the girl!” They scattered, leaving the other half of the village. She pointed at the remaining villagers, “You all better hope they find the girl!” she screamed. 

The long haired man spoke up, “Maybe she’s just out playing-”

Carmen stuck the gun to the man’s head, “Do you wanna bet on that?” 

The man began to shiver, sweat dripped from his head.

“Look!” said the short man from down the line. He pointed to the forest in the direction of the river. Lila and a young boy were walking together carrying a collection of rocks. Carmen lowered the gun and walked to Lila.

When Carmen came up to Lila, she kneeled down to Lila’s eye level, “Lila, next time you go somewhere, tell me first please,” Carmen said.

“Okay,” Lila answered. She continued walking with the boy to show the other kids the rocks they found.

Carmen looked back to the village, who were still on their knees looking at Lila. “Sorry,” Carmen said, lowering her head. They all got up and went about their day, breathing a sigh of relief. 

Carmen walked into the forest and hid behind a tree. She rubbed her face, taking a longer breath with a large yawn. When she opened her eyes, Hugo was walking to her from deeper in the forest. He had an expression of excitement and determination

Carmen was immediately filled with fear and anger. She approached Hugo and the two met in the middle. She pointed her finger, about to scream at him. Hugo hesitated, waiting to hear what Carmen had to say, but when she opened her mouth, she paused, unsure of what to say. She looked down at her hands, they were shaking.

“Uh,” said Carmen looking up at Hugo.

Hugo took Carmen’s hands, feeling their cold shakiness. “I know you don't like it when I leave…but I have a surprise. Where’s Lila?” Hugo said warmly.

Carmen’s mouth was still open, unsure of what to say. “I- uh,” she glanced at the village. Hugo looked over to and saw Lila passing by with the kids.

“Oh, Lila!” Hugo called. He waved with a smile. Carmen saw the smile, and could only feel a slight joy at the sight.

When Lila walked up to the two, Hugo took them by the hand. “Come on, I have something to show you.” He walked them through the forest, to a new area they haven't seen before.

After Carmen and Lila had left into the forest with Hugo, Sammy, Marik, the long haired man and the beer-bellied man met up. They hid themselves behind a collection of tents. 

The long haired man was looking at the grass under him with a frown.

“Sooo…” said Marik to the group.

The beer-bellied man nodded agreeingly with a cold face.

Sammy nodded as well.

They all looked at the long haired man, who inhaled deeply, looked up and shook his head in agreement.

“Hugo. Where are we going?” Carmen said. 

“Just wait, you’ll see,” Hugo said. He led them over hills and logs, until finally they came across a path in the forest that was outlined by a flimsy fence. The climbed over the fence, and followed it along the path.

As they continued, they could hear the roaring of massive amounts of water. The trees started to clear and the path led to a wooden bridge that went over the river. In front of the bridge was a massive waterfall. It was like a stormy hurricane without the lighting and thunder, just the rain and a roar.

“Welcome to Yosemite Falls,” Hugo said with a great smile.

“Wow!” Lila said through the roaring of the falls. Lila laughed as the mist from the waterfall fell on her and the others. Hugo hadn’t heard that laugh in a long time, and he was happy to finally show Lila the falls, as he came here with his parents and brother when he was a boy.

Carmen enjoyed the mist that fell on her and closed her eyes to take in the roar of the falls. When she opened her eyes she caught Hugo looking at her with a smile. She broke into a laugh too and rolled her eyes at him.

“Come on!” he said. He pulled them across the bridge onto the second half of the path, out of the way of the mist. ‘I found this, and I wanted to use it on us,” he said. From his back pocket, Hugo pulled out a disposable camera with a printer on it. 

Carmen looked at it surprised Hugo could even think of this.

“Okay, let's do it,” Carmen smiled.

“Not here,” Hugo said. “Up there.” He pointed to a small ledge up beside the falls.

“Yeah!” Lila said with a little jump.

“Let's go?” Hugo said looking at Carmen, he held out his hand.

“Fine,” Carmen smiled. She took his hand and he led the girls up right beside the waterfall. The rocks were wet and slippery, but Hugo helped them the entire way up. The wind was almost enough to throw them off the ledge and the roaring was almost all they could hear.

“Okay! Quick!” Hugo said. They got together to take a picture. Hugo pulled out the camera, took a picture with all three of them, then hid the camera from the falls. He led the girls all the way back down to the bridge, where they hid among the trees to get dry.

The camera was done printing and the photo came out “Perfect,” as Hugo said.

Carmen rolled her eyes playfully again.

The three walked back to the village, and by then it was the late evening. They were tired from the walk. Lila yawned.

“Look who’s tired,” Hugo said, poking at Lila.

“Yeah, she woke up early this morning,” Carmen added.

“I wanted to see my friend Lucky,” said Lila. “He likes rocks.”

“Ah I see,” said Hugo, “You wanna go back to the room or do you wanna stay out for a little longer?” 

“I wanna go back,” said Lila.

“Okay, we can go back,” Hugo said. Carmen nodded in agreement.

Back at the room, it was the early evening and Lila quickly went to sleep. Hugo placed the picture on the counter.

Hugo and Carmen did not sleep though. They left the room, gently shutting the door behind them and stood out in the hallway.

“She wore herself out today,” Carmen said.

“I know. Most energy she’s spent in a while,” he said.

“That was really cool of you,” said Carmen. She looked away as if to be chill about the comment. “Is that what you’ve been doing every morning?”

“Yeah. I didn't want to spoil it for you guys,” said Hugo.

“Really?” Carmen said, almost amused.

“I'm serious! I love Yosemite, so just being here…I wanted to make it special. I went out, killed any stray wanderers I found. I just wanted it to be us,” said Hugo.

Carmen tilted her head at Hugo. “Us?”

“You’ve been putting in work. So thank you,” Hugo said. He looked away for a second and then back to Carmen. “I have another surprise,” Hugo said.

“No, stop,” said Carmen, hiding a blush.

“Just trust me on this one…please?” said Hugo, looking intently at Carmen.

“Fine,” she said, enjoying the moment.

“Yes!” said Hugo.

He led her across the valley, it was a quiet walk as the evening turned to night. They followed a stone path that eventually combined with a road and turned into a sidewalk. It took them deeper into the valley. A sign beside the road said “Yosemite Valley Welcome Center”

“Hugo, where are we going?” Carmen asked after reading the sign.

“I’m going to show you what I want to do with this place,” Hugo said.

They arrived at the collection of buildings they first saw after killing the judge. Hugo took Carmen into the museum. “I wanted to show you this first before I took Lila,” Hugo said.

Hugo and Carmen walked through the museum, looking at all the things on display. From the different animals across the park, to the native americans who lived there long ago. The two walked along the halls, seeing the artifacts and reading the information.

They found a 3d rendition of the valley and they looked over it.

“I want to preserve this place,” Hugo said. “I don't want to burn it all down, I know it can be used for good.”

“You think you can do all that?” Carmen asked.

“I’m gonna try,” Hugo said as he looked over the valley.

They came across a statue of a man named ‘John Muir.’ The information panels described him as a great man, one who was a major factor as to why Yosemite was the way it was. 

“I remember we had a picture of my older brother kissing this statue. Made my dad laugh every time,” Hugo said.

Carmen smiled at him, but she noticed the bags under his eyes had not gotten better. Her smile turned into concern “Hugo-”

“Great man that was,” said a person down the hall. The two jerked their heads to see an old white man with circular glasses, a campaign hat, and a walking stick. They hadn’t seen him before. He was smiling at the two with a bushy mustache. “Sorry, didnt mean to spook yah. I was just taking a walk through the area myself.”

“Can we help you?” Hugo said.

“No, but let me introduce myself. Call me Professor B. I was a professor at Fresno college before the world crapped itself.” The professor waddled over to a bench beside the statue meant for people to sit beside it. He sat down. “Now who are you two if you don't mind me asking?”

Hugo and Carmen hesitated. They had their hands on their guns but the professor did not seem to mind.

“I’m Pedro,” Hugo said.

“I’m Casandra,” Carmen said.

“Well, nice to meet you two. And I know what you're thinking, what is an old coot like me out here in the middle of nowhere? Well, I was an anthropology professor. I studied the history of this place, everything there is to know about Yosemite…is in here.” He pointed to his head. “I always told myself that I would die here, so that's why I'm here.” He smiled.

“I heard what you said, about wanting to preserve this place. Let me tell you this. John Muir may have been a great man, but controversial too. Some of his writings portrayed native americans in a bad light, and people argued about if he ever changed his views.” said the professor.

“Native Americans really own this land. So you should give respect where you can. Obviously it doesn't matter any more, but seeing you, it gives me hope,” the professor said, looking up at Hugo and Carmen. “Did you know that ‘Yosemite’ literally means “those who kill” but some people also believed it to mean “grizzly bear” because the words for “grizzly bear” and “those who kill” were similar in the Miwok language. Miwok is the name of the native americans who lived in the area…I say this because if you ever decide to change the name I would suggest you name it ‘Ahwahnee’ because that’s what the Miwok called it all those years ago.”

“Thank you for telling us,” Hugo said.

“Ah, it was nothing. Just don't get too caught up with this guy. You get to write history now, make it good,” the professor said. He got up from the bench and waddled to the entrance of the room. “I’ll be off now. Don't worry, I’ll mind my own business from now on. You two have a good day.”

“Where are you going? Do you have a home?” Hugo asked.

“This place is my home,” the professor chuckled. He left the room, and Hugo and Carmen listened to the sound of the professor waddling away until the sound disappeared.

“That was weird,” Carmen said with an amused look.

“Well, at least we learned something,” Hugo said. “Let's get out of here.” The two walked out of the museum to find it was almost night. The sky had some light in it, enough to find their way to the hotel.

On the way back, Hugo and Carmen walked beside each other, their hands touched but Hugo took hers and they held hands all the way back.

“Carmen,” said Hugo.

“Yeah?” Carmen answered.

“I saw what happened today,” Hugo said.

“You did?”

“I was walking back and I heard like the last couple things you said, then how you found Lila,”

“So…”

“I liked it. Thank you for worrying about her like that.”

“Yeah no proble-”

Hugo gently pulled Carmen closer to him. They could feel each other’s breath against their faces. After slight hesitation and realization, they leaned into each other to kiss. They held each other, enjoying the moment they had.

It was pitch black when they got to the hotel and they stood in front of the door to the room. Their hands were still together. They hesitated to open the door, because they were thinking the same thing. 

They walked to a separate hotel room together that night.

The next morning the two woke up and headed to Lila’s room, where she was still asleep. When they headed to the village, Hugo took the four men out to hunt and told the rest of the village to spend the day washing and drying all the dirty clothes. The fence was done and encircled the entire village and picnic tables.

Carmen watched over the village as they did their chores and Lila played with the young boy. As the day went on and it came time for lunch, the village sat down and ate. Today they served some canned beans. Carmen and Lila sat together.

“Hey Lila, so who’s that boy you were playing with?” Carmen asked as she took a spoonful of beans.

“That’s my friend. His name is Daniel,” said Lila.

“Oh cool. What do you guys talk about?” Carmen said.

“Well today he told me that Mika’s daddy says that the bad people will go away soon. Who are the bad people?” Lila asked.

Carmen dropped her spoon and spoke softly to Lila “What did he say?” she said.

“Who are the bad people?” said Lila, confused.

Carmen’s eyes started to move around as she pondered. She stood up from the picnic table and pulled out the gun. “Alright! Everyone line up!” she shouted.

The villagers just looked at her, annoyed at the repetition. “You think I’m joking this time? Where is Mika!” 

“She’s right here,” said one of the parents. Carmen walked over to Mika who was at the kids table. “Hey Mika. What did your dad say about the bad people?”

“He said they are gonna go away soon,” Mika said.

“Who’s the bad people?” said Carmen.

“You are,” Mika answered.

“Oh Mika, I'm so sorry you feel that way,” said Carmen with her hand on her chest. She stood up and faced the village and pointed the gun at Mika’s head. “If Hugo doesn't come back she dies first,” said Carmen. 

The villagers scattered from the tables and ran into the forest after the five men.

Hugo and the four men had been walking through the forest, ready for their next hunt. The four men were quiet this time.

“So, what’s the plan today?” Hugo said.

“Well,” said the long haired man. “We’ve been looking for that deer. I think we scared it off from that field.”

“Where else could it be?” Hugo asked.

“If it can find more grass, it would be there,” said the long haired man.

“I think I know another field. This way,” said Hugo. He led them further away from the village. The four men gave each other quick glances out of Hugo’s field of view. 

After arriving at the second field, they hid behind a patch of grass, waiting for a deer to show up.

“Do you think it could be here?” said Hugo.

The long haired man licked his finger and stuck it into the air. “We’re downwind, so it won't smell us at least.”

“Good,” Hugo said. He faced the grass, hoping for a deer to appear, but he listened. The four men were out of his field of view. A chill went down Hugo’s spine. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

He turned around and flung his arm and leg out. The beer-bellied man had raised a spear above Hugo. Hugo’s arm caught the spear and the leg toppled the man to the ground. Marik came in with a stake and swiped it at Hugo’s face. It scratched Hugo, but the force from the swipe threw Marik forward, so Hugo elbowed Maril’s spine which caused him to fall forward in pain. 

SHUNK 

A spear flung past Hugo and penetrated the tree behind him. He looked at the direction it came to see Sammy absolutely mortified. Hugo took two quick steps and kicked Sammy in the ribs. As Hugo watched Sammy fall to the ground, a thick hand grabbed Hugo by the hair and threw Hugo to the ground. The long haired man lifted his hands together and flung them down at Hugo. Hugo caught the fists and threw the long haired man over himself. He landed on Hugo who then took the combat knife from his pants belt and stabbed the long haired man in the side.

Hugo rolled the man off of him and got up to see all four of them on the ground, writhing in pain.

“Get up or I’ll kill your kids and families too,” said Hugo. The scratch from the wooden stake stung and he could feel the splinters in his cheek.

From the direction of the village, all the villagers were running and spotted Hugo surrounded by the four men. The villagers paused, afraid of what is to come.

Hugo walked to them. “They’re not dead. Pick them up and lets get back,” Hugo said. He passed them all and walked back to the village.

When he got back he found Carmen with the gun to Mika’s head. Mika was already crusty from the tears that drenched her face. The other kids were gone and the parents of those kids remained at their picnic table, scared for Mika.

“Did they try to kill you?” Carmen asked.

“Yes,” Hugo said.

“Did you kill them?”

“No,” Hugo said.

A parent walked up to the two, “See, he’s fine. Can you put the gun away?” said the parent.

Hugo and Carmen gave the parent a glare that instilled dread. They began to shiver profusely and walked back to the table.

When the villagers got back, they had helped the four men return.

“Daddy?” said Mika as she saw the long-haired man. He smiled at Mika, but she was looking at the cut in his side.

“It’s okay little acorn, I'm here,” he said. He walked up to Hugo and Carmen. A villager was at his side to help him stand. He sighed, “Please,” he said with a quiver in his voice.

Hugo and Carmen looked at him with cold faces. “Bring the four men meant to kill me here,” Hugo said to the village. He pointed to an empty picnic table. Hugo handed Carmen his gun and walked to the table and stood on the very top. Sammy, Marik, the beer-bellied man and the long haired man stood before Hugo.

They all stood and looked up at Hugo in silence. The day was starting to enter the evening and the sky turned scarlet.

“It’s clear that we dont understand each other as much as I would like us to. And what happened today, must never happen again,” Hugo said to the village. He looked at the four men. “Turn around.” The four men turned around. Hugo spoke out to the village, “If any of you interfere. If any of you move even a little bit. Do not expect mercy.” He paused. Everyone was shaking in some form.  The village was fearful of what was going to happen. Their eyes were locked on Hugo. For Hugo, he shook with nervous excitement. His muscles twitched and jerked. His teeth chattered. “When it happens, you may run.” The crowd watched. Hugo looked at Carmen. “Do it.”

“No!” said the long haired man.

BAM

Mika’s blood scattered against the grass. The village screamed. Hugo pounced onto Sammy and bit his ear off.

“Ahhh!” Sammy screamed in sheer agony. Hugo proceeded to stab Sammy until his organs spilled onto the grass. 

Marik and the beer-bellied man ran for the fences. The long haired man ran to his daughter, sobbing out to the sky.

Hugo ran to the beer bellied man and pulled him down from the fence into the village.

“No!” the beer-bellied man screamed. Hugo slashed the man’s arms, cutting the muscles and they became rag-like. Hugo bashed the man’s face in until he stopped moving. 

Hugo got up and walked over to the sobbing man. He took a gun from Carmen and without looking he shot the man point blank in the head. He was looking at Marik who had got over the fence and was running into the forest. Hugo took off and chased Marik into the forest.

He caught up quickly and grabbed Marik by the arm. “Let go!” Marik said. He swung a fist at Hugo, clocking him in the face. Hugo recoiled back. Marik watched for a second, enjoying the moment. “Ha!” Marik said while pointing. Hugo pushed himself with his current supporting leg and swung a fist into Marik’s chest. Then another to his face. Marik fell to the ground. Hugo flipped him over and placed a large rock in Marik’s mouth. He stomped the back of Marik’s head onto the rock, breaking his teeth and jaw. Marik stopped moving. Hugo took his legs and dragged him back to the village. 

When he got to the fence he turned Marik over. The rock was still in his mouth. He picked Marik up and tossed him over. Quickly, he climbed over as well and dragged Marik in front of the village. He took the knife and cut open Marik’s chest, pulling out the heart. The connecting tissues snapped like cords. Hugo dropped the heart and stomped on it. He looked at the village, each of them were mortified, covering their eyes and noses, others covered their ears. His clothes were drenched in blood and he was breathing heavily. The scarlet horizon reflected off the blood and made him shimer in the light. He held his hands open to his sides. Carmen and Lila walked up beside him and took his hands. Carmen kissed Hugo’s check, and her lips were now bloody as well.

“Clean it up,” Hugo said. “Let’s not forget. Someone worse is coming.” 

Hugo took a pair of clean clothes and washed himself in the river. He took Carmen and Lila back to the hotel. When Lila went to sleep, Hugo and Carmen went to another room.

After Carmen fell asleep, Hugo crept out of the room and made his way to the balcony where Carmen was the other night. He leaned over it and looked at the corpse in the pool below. What happened today flashed across his mind. His limbs were sore. His eyes were itchy and dry. His hands began to shiver and his heart beat faster.

In the forest that surrounded the hotel, he spotted someone looking at him. It was Master.

0