Finale Pt2 #49
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the night went on, Lila followed the river down the rocky mountain into the central valley of California. She refused to set up a camp to sleep. Her plan was to continue walking until tomorrow night. Occasionally she would tap the ground in front of her with a stick in case of a trap, but did not find one.

The river eventually turned into a small lake and across the water was a warm glow.

Lila hid behind a tree and peaked over. It was a fire surrounded by a collection of tents and wooden huts.

A faint chatter could be heard among them. Lila could see about six people around the fire and occasionally others would pop out of the huts.

As she observed them, Lila heard a step from behind. She swiveled around with her arm out holding a knife.

STAB

The knife went into the neck of a corpse.

“Roooooh,” it said, reaching out to Lila.

She held the knife in its neck, and held it away from biting distance. From the corner of her eye, the people in the community were alerted and were looking over to her. She slipped behind a tree and moved the corpse behind it as well.

A light flashed in her direction, the tree blocked her from view.

She kept silent.

The light lingered onto her tree. 

“Ugh,” she sighed under her breath. “Dammit,” she whispered.

She tilted the corpse to the left and pushed it to the ground. As the blade left it’s neck, she sliced it so the corpse would die. It fell into the light and stayed on the ground. Lila raised her hand’s from the tree and stepped into the open.

Directly in front of her were two men with handguns and flashlights pointed at her. Their faces and bodies were obscured by the lights.

“Drop the weapons, drop everything,” the left man said.

Lila dropped the knife and the backpack.

“That’s a lot you’re wearing, you mind dropping that too?” the man said.

Lila began to undo her bullet-proof vest when the man on the right reached for the knife on the ground. Lila slipped her hand into the vest as if to undo some buckle, but grabbed a handgun.

BOOM to the left man.

BOOM to the back of the right man’s head who reached for the knife on the ground.

They dropped to the floor along with their flashlights. Lila hurried to equip her things again. She looked across the lake to see the rest of the people collecting their things in fear. 

Lila took the two flashlights and guns for herself and dashed around the lake and over the river. Entering the small community of people, she shot everyone on sight. 

BOOM

BAM BAM

POP

BANG BANG BANG

CRACK

It rattled through the trees. She did not hear another living person in the area so she put the gun away and looted the camp. Her bag was full by the end, she had rations to last her an extra couple days on top of what she already had.

The fire’s glow began to die and the bodies became harder to see.

She left the community and followed the river. The moon reflected off the water as she left the glow of the fire.

She continued walking through the forest, listening to the sound of the river through the night.

The sun began peeking through the mountaintops and Lila could see clearly ahead of her. She looked over at her reflection in the water, noticing the bag under her eyes. For just a moment, her younger self was in the water. 

Lila looked out through the window of the car. Behind her reflection was the streets of LA. People were running through the streets. Glimpses of corpses and piles of flesh throughout the city put Lila into confusion.

“Tia Marga? What’s happening?” Lila said.

“It’s alright Lila. Just sit down okay? You’ll be okay,” Tia Marga said. Her voice was shaky and her eyes were glued to the road.

On top of one of the buildings, Lila saw someone standing there, watching the car speed by.

It was too blurry to see who it was.

Lila turned forward and looked through the windshield. Tia Marga was driving up to an intersection that had just turned red, but she didn't slow down. Straight through the intersection, Tia Marga cut off an oncoming car, who then swerved into a fire hydrant. Water burst into the air.

The river roared unusually loud. Lila shook her head and looked away. She rubbed her face and clenched her cheeks. She breathed deeply through her mouth a few times and then patted herself to snap out of it. Lila continued walking with a stern look in her eye.

The sun was now up Lila came across another small community up ahead. They had tents made of loose tarps and cloth held up by ropes tied to the trees.

In the center was a foreman grill with some critter on it.

“Hey!” said one of the community's residents.

Lila was eyeing the grill but realized that the resident was waving at her. Lila froze and stared at the person waving.

“It’s okay! We’re not hostile! Do you need help?” said the man. He was young, seemingly Lila’s age. He had blonde, dirty hair and rags for clothes. The community seemed to be a collection of random people who were just trying to survive.

Lila started walking to the group but slightly to the side as to pass by, “No, sorry I was just passing through,” she said, waving her hand as if to reject an offering.

“Are you sure? I don't know if you heard all that last night, something might be out there,” said the boy.

“Oh…yeah. I heard it. That’s why I’m headed away from it,” Lila said with a slight nod. 

“Alright then,” the man said. “Safe travels.” He waved.

Lila looked forward and began walking away, but all at once her body became sore and her movements slowed.

“You okay there miss?” the boy said from beside the grill. Lila was already several yards away but she turned around and looked at the man. Her face looked as if she had trouble seeing that far. She fell forward. As she hit the ground her last sight was the man running over to her.

Lila woke up in the evening. She was under a tarp and covered by some blankets. She moved her head and looked forward. She was in the community and the foreman grill was a couple yards away with people sitting around it. Her backpack was beside her.

Lila lifted herself up. As she moved her body, her muscles were sore. “Agh,” she said as she moved her leg.

The blonde man from before was sitting at the fire. He turned around to see Lila and got up to greet her.

“Hey. You took a fall there,” he said.

Lila continued to pick herself up.

“Let me…” he put his hand out to Lila but she waved it away. “Alright, alright.”

Lila put her hand on her backpack, weakly pulling it toward herself.

“We didn't look inside…if that’s what you're wondering,” he said.

Lila put the backpack on and started walking. She glanced at the forest, recognizing the trees and began walking to where she assumed was west.

After a couple steps, she fell to one knee.

The blonde man ran up to her and put his arms out in case she fell again. “You should probably rest,” he said.

Lila looked up at the blonde man while she was still at one knee. Her eyes weren't happy but she took his hand and he helped her to her feet. They slowly walked back to the grill.

“You’re welcome to eat if you’re hungry,” the man said.

Lila stopped and put her bag down. She stuck her hand into it and pulled out a bag of preserved fruits. She put the pack on again and continued walking. The two sat down in an empty spot around the grill. From where she sat she could hear the sizzling of the critter. It hasn't cooked much since Lila fell down.

“The grill doesn't cook very fast,” the man said, slightly embarrassed.

“Hold on,” Lila said. She stood up and walked away from the community. With each step, her body ached from soreness, but she continued. She gathered some sticks and broken pieces of wood and created a fire ring. From her bag she got her flint and steel and a small dam cloth of alcohol.

She struck the flint and steel 

SHRK

And a small flame grew from the tinder that quickly grew into a hefty fire.

The community moved the grill and cooked the critter with spare metal rods. Circled around the fire, they were happy to enjoy some well-cooked critter.

Lila and the blonde man sat beside each other next to the fire. Lila let her muscles really rest.

“Thank you,” said the man. “My name’s Rusty,” he said. He held out his hand.

Lila’s eyes looked at the hand then to Rusty then back at his hand.

“Uh, Lila,” she said. She shook his hand. It felt warm and nice.

“So, where you headed, Lila?” Rusty asked. He looked at the fire and glanced around at his family who were enjoying their meals.

“West,” Lila answered. She crunched on her preserved fruits.

“West? Uh…what’s west?” Rusty continued.

“I don't know. I’m just headed that way,” Lila answered. She looked at the fire. She traded quick eye contact with one of the other men. He was sat in a folding chair all the way back. At a glance he seemed like a mute. He was old and had a thick beard. His clothing was warm.

“Oh, that’s my dad,” Rusty pointed at the man. “Doesn't talk much. He’s kinda…you know…” He pointed to his own head and nodded to Lila.

“Oh, I see,” Lila answered. She nodded as well.

After a brief moment Rusty spoke again. “So do you…know why you fell? I mean were you hungry, tired…”

“Tired,” Lila said. “I haven't really slept in a while,” she added.

“Oh, well you're welcome to sleep here as long as you need,” Rusty said.

“Thank you…but is all that,” Lila pointed to where they had placed her, “Is all that someone else's?”

“Well technically it is, but it's surplus, so don't worry,” Rusty answered.

Lila nodded. “Okay. I think I’ll rest up then. I’ve been really tired.” She got up and took her backpack.

“Go right ahead,” Rusty said. Lila shuffled back to her tarp and scooted under it with the blanket over her. She closed her eyes but the sunlight kept her awake. Trying to sleep, she covered her head and hid her face. It was black now, but she still heard the people talking.

Annoyed that she couldn't sleep, Lila decided to entertain herself. She cracked open the blanket just barely and spied on the group sitting around the fire. Rusty was sitting in that same spot with his back to Lila.

The other adults seemed kind of old. There also weren't any kids; the youngest person was a girl about 16.

But then, Rusty’s dad raised his hand and motioned Rusty over to him. 

Lila watched intently but made sure to keep the opening in the blanket almost invisible.

Rusty stepped to his dad and leaned over to hear him. When Rusty heard what his dad had to say, he stood up tall and looked over to Lila’s tent. His expression was plain and Lila could not figure it out. He didn't seem to notice if Lila was spying on him.

When Rusty sat down, Lila shut the blanket and pondered what could be the matter. Her thoughts went from what if Rusty was romantically interested in her and his father was giving him some advice. Or maybe his father did not trust Lila and was telling Rusty to be careful.

Lila did not want to risk it. She decided to hide in the blanket until sundown and sneak away without anyone noticing.

As she waited, she slipped in and out of consciousness. Her soreness went away and she was ready to make a run for it.

The fire had died and it was quiet all throughout the community. Lila peaked through the blanket to see no one in the open. She took a breath in and began to move her blanket away from over her. 

Footsteps came from ahead of her and she stopped moving.

“Lila?” Rusty said, “Are you awake?”

“Y- yeah, Rusty, what’s up?” she asked. She moved the blanket and faced rusty. He had a dim flashlight so she squinted slightly while looking up.

“I need to talk to you,” he said.

“Uh…” Lila hesitated, looking to the side.

“I know it's late but it's better to talk about it now,” Rusty said.

“I don't know, Rusty,” Lila answered.

“It’ll be quick, please,” he persisted.

“Fine,” Lila answered. She got up and she walked with Rusty away from the community.

“Sorry to wake you up like this,” Rusty said.

“Dont worry about it,” Lila answered.

“So…my dad said something kinda weird. I just want to clear it up with you before…you know…”

“What did he say?” Lila asked.

Rusty paused for a sec, “He said he remembers you…What he means is…we actually used to have a much bigger community. When the world went to hell; you were probably to remember exactly when, I was too; we stayed in a place in this area Oakhurst. It was mostly fine until one day this group came along and things…went bad. I mean, I remember that day. I saw someone get shot in plain daylight and everyone scattered. I remember the look in the guy’s eyes when he shot him it was like-” Rusty stopped. “L- Lila?” He realized Lila was not beside him. He looked around to find Lila a few feet behind him standing still. “What are you-”

Lila pointed forward. Rusty looked forward to see a young girl walk into his light. She was covered in a dirty blanket and was alone.

“Um, hello? Are you okay? Are your parents here?” Rusty said, he leaned to the girl. The girl was focused on Lila.

“She killed my daddy,” said the girl. She raised her arm and pointed at Lila.

“What?” Rusty said. He turned around to Lila. She lost the warmness that Rusty had seen in her eyes. “Lila?” He looked closer and saw something different.

Lila eyed Rusty and he hesitated to say something else, but Lila saw the hesitation and they both knew.

“You were the little girl,” Rusty said in realization.

Lila sighed. She pulled out the gun from her vest and cocked it.

“Wait wait wait!” Rusty said, holding out his hands.

BAM 

Rusty flopped to the ground and his brains landed twenty feet back.

BAM

The crying girl went from a sobbing face to nothing in a second. Her father ran to her and cried just as much. He tried collecting her pieces but they slipped through his fingers like jello. He held his girl close to himself. Lila heard waterfalls as he cried.

She watched her brother rip open three other men with his teeth and knives. He finally shot the crying father and the noise stopped.

The girl hit the ground. The tree behind her dripped with her blood.

Lila ran into the night. For a while she walked in complete darkness. She began wishing to be able to see but remembered the number of flashlights she had in her bag. So she took one out and continued on her way.

She followed the slopes of the mountain until finally she reached the valley. No more mountains, just a flat horizon.

It was emptier than she remembered, or than she anticipated. She didn't know where the nearest road was or the river, so she walked opposite of the mountains. 

As the mountains grew smaller, the valley got wider like a giant plate. Weird shadows in the vast, star-filled sky watched over Lila. It was a strange feeling, Lila has been alone in an empty land under the night sky before, but never on this side of the mountains. She could swear something had flown over her, disguised by the night sky, she could spot nothing.

Up ahead, a single barn appeared as Lila continued walking. She looked back to the mountains as just little bumps far behind her.

“Have I really walked that far?” she said. She stopped walking and lingered on the spot for a second. Her legs started to feel fuzzy as if they lost blood flow and fell asleep.

Feeling completely alone, she looked at the barn and considered it safe to rest there if she could find a good spot inside.

After a few minutes she arrived at the barn and turned her flashlight off. It was very old and abandoned. The wood looked splintered, yet for the most part it seemed sturdy. 

Lila peaked through the wood to see inside. Piles of dry hay, some tools, and a body on the back all. She stepped softly and quietly, listening for anyone inside. She heard nothing.

Coming up to the front door, it was open. With one finger she pushed it open. Without walking in, she looked inside. She saw no traps or people, just the body against the other wall.

Lila turned on the flashlight and looked again. From where she was, it was hard to make out details from the body, so finally she stepped inside.

With very careful steps, she walked to the body. It was practically a skeleton by now. The skin was dry and crusty and the smell was just old. It was held up by the neck with a metal chain that was hooked to a beam up above. Its arms were bone and had fallen off. Where the wrists would be were two more chains that connected to the opposite walls.

Lila looked down at its legs, but the bones were gone. She assumed they were somewhere around the barn.

She looked back up at the wall with her flashlight and noticed weird marks in the wood. The marks were darker and seemed to have stained the wood. Lila recognized it as blood. 

She looked closer and saw that it spelled out “SUFFER”.

0