Chapter 5.1: The nosy one
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the morning sun peeked through Beom Haewon's chamber, a court eunuch arrived with an announcement. Accompanied by her maid, Yijin, who had been serving breakfast, they both turned to the door as it opened.

"Good morning, Lady Beom," the court eunuch greeted. "The candidates are free to roam the palace today, but I must inform you the third round of the selection process is yet to be announced."

Beom Haewon furrowed her brow, wondering what would be the third phase. She needed to know if there could be a way to eliminate herself in the next round and see what she could plan accordingly. "Is there anything else you can tell me about the third round?" she asked him.

The court eunuch shook his head regretfully. "I'm sorry, Lady Beom, but I have not been given any further information," he replied.

"Excuse me, court eunuch." Yijin, who had been quiet, spoke up. "I was wondering if there is any way to speak with you about Lady Beom Haewon's situation," she said, looking up at the eunuch with pleading eyes. "She is not entirely comfortable with the selection process, and I wanted to see if there was anything to do to—"

The eunuch's gaze landed on Yijin, his expression apologetic. "I'm sorry, but I cannot entertain any request from the candidates," he whispered, lowering his voice so that only the two could hear. "The head eunuch has given strict instructions from His Majesty."

Yijin sighed, her shoulders slumping in defeat.

Beom Haewon looked down at her empty plate and sighed as well. She had hoped to speak with one of the eunuchs to express her wishes and find a way out of the selection process, but it seemed that would be impossible. The strict rules of the palace made it difficult for her to have any say in her future, leaving her feeling helpless.

With a soft sigh, Beom Haewon dismissed the eunuch. Despite her best efforts, she still had no idea what to expect, and the weight of uncertainty made her anxious.

The thought of the fate that seemed to be closing in on her was almost too much to bear. Beom Haewon felt like she was trapped, with no way out. Taking a deep breath, she pushed the negative thoughts aside, focusing instead on the present.

She had time to figure out what to do before the third phase. Hence, she thought she could take advantage of exploring the imperial palace as it would be a nice distraction and help clear her mind. She also made a mental note to speak with her father, Lord Beom, about her situation and seek his help. Though, that could also be difficult, as officials had been busy for the past month.


Chapter 5

The Seowon palace compound had a garden surrounded by walls and gates. A eunuch and two knights guarded the entrance to ensure the privacy and safety of the candidates.

The garden was a spot for peace, a welcome breather from the pressures of the consort selection process. It was a feast for the eyes, with various plants and flowers providing color. Tall trees provided shade and a sense of seclusion, and a stone pathway guided the way to a small pond filled with swimming koi fishes. 

The garden had two gazeboes connected by a roofed bridge. In one of the gazeboes, the consort candidates could gather for tea, meals, and other activities. The other was smaller and cozier, where the candidates could retreat for quiet conversations.

"Hah…," Beom Haewon sighed, walking along the pathway, admiring the flowers, and simply enjoying the peaceful atmosphere.

The garden's beauty should be enough to soothe her, but she felt troubled. It was because the eunuchs were marching up and down the path; their pace was hard to bypass.

She still tried to ignore them, taking in the flowers and the tranquil surroundings. But the presence of the eunuchs continued to nag at her. It was a reminder that something might not be right.

Finally, she turned to her handmaid and asked, "What's going on here? Why are there so many eunuchs?" As she watched them pace, she felt a sense of foreboding. Something was going on, and she thought it wouldn't be right.

The handmaid paused before replying, "I'm not sure, my lady. But there have been rumors from the other handmaids that something happened during the second round of the consort selection. Some incident involving the candidates."

Beom Haewon was silent for a minute; her sights were set on the group of eunuchs striding around the garden. Her eyes were fixed and resolute, reflecting her unwavering determination to uncover the mystery. Therefore, she steeled to question the busy figures and sought answers.

"Where are you headed, my lady?" Yijin asked with a note of concern in her voice. She looked hesitant, but Beom Haewon was the opposite.

"I figured I should try to find out more about the situation," she declared. "How will I know what's going on if I don't ask those who have the information?"

As she approached the cluster of eunuchs, she could see the anxiety on their faces. "Excuse me," Beom Haewon said, her voice calm and measured. "Erm, can you tell me what is happening?"

The eunuchs looked at each other nervously, clearly uncomfortable with the question. They fidgeted uneasily as they struggled to find a suitable response. But Beom Haewon was relentless.

"Please, I'd appreciate any provided insights," she implored. "As a candidate for consort, I must confess that I am feeling anxious seeing a group of eunuchs hustling about. I just want to understand the situation."

"Forgive me, my lady. As of this moment, we cannot disclose any details regarding the investigation," one of the eunuchs replied, his expression grave.

Beom Haewon's brow furrowed in disappointment as she realized her questions would remain unanswered. The lack of information only deepened the mystery, and she was shrouded in suspense and confusion.

Nevertheless, one thing was clear: this was serious. And the more serious it could get so was her drive of unquenchable thirst to learn more.

"I am sure that the other candidates feel similar anxiety," she replied, trying to persuade them. "I ask for any information available to you on the subject."

0