Tales from the Circondato Sea : The Flower of Hookland
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For centuries the people that lives near the vast locked sea of Circondato have always questioned themselves of how the Norrfolks could harness the power of the Circondato Sea.

The question was our longships, not only have our ancestors made them small enough to sail through rivers but also the nature of the longship itself. We, Karl the King over the Horizon learned that our longship’s speed are much more better utilized in the closed Sea of Circondato.

Why? Because wherever we sail from, we wouldn’t get stranded in the middle of the ocean, we would always land on either on a beach, if lucky a harbor, couple of times on a gulf, but most of the time on a peninsula.

 

Throughout the long life of Karl the King over the Horizon there was one Peninsula he has always been interested in, a peninsula that came close to question his sanity, his own sense of right.

This Peninsula made him question if he was to become like his brother the Iron King.

That Peninsula would eventually be under the Karlids for many generations, where it would be both justly and tyrannically ruled by the many Kings of Karlia.

And what is this Peninsula that had the King over the Horizon so torn to a crisis of self and be heavily valued by many Kings of Karlia?

It is Gancio, the land where the flowery, cattle grazers, and poet maker people called the Bestiamiens lives.

 

* * *

 

It was a cool stroll in the morning for Geir, Estryd, and Marco, Siasêr also napping on top of Marco’s head as always. They’ve just landed in Gancio and did what they have did as usual in every land they have landed.

They trade, they talk, they network, and they indulge in some local drama and events from time to time. The one in Gancio, Fiorire to be exact, they’ve heard of a grand tournament being held there.

They Bestiamiens called those the Flower Tournaments, an annual festival and of course tournament that is held for the coming spring, as they welcome the first flowers of the year with majestic poet reciting, glorious horse races, and bloody melees.

It was also an opportunity to find the fairest of the few ladies in Fiorire, where they would be given a crown of many flowers. Those women that are lucky to be crowned are called Flower Maidens, fairest across all of Gancio.

Now how does one become a Flower Maiden? Simple thankfully, as the last crowned maiden would be the one to choose whose among the Bestiamien women that comes to the Flower Tournaments to be one.

But after that it’s complicated, as the title of a Flower Maiden is not just a gimmicky title that is used to give prestige to the crowned woman. No, it was a tool to play in the chest game of politics among the nobles of the Gancion Realm.

Kings and Dukes have bribed many previously crowned Flower Maidens to crowned their daughters and nieces, so they could be more eligible in the eyes of interested suitors.

But this time it was different, the rumors and drama that are currently spreading like wildfire throughout the Gancion Realm spoken of a lowborn woman in her late 20s.

 

This was… unprecedented and ruins the whole chessboard and political play that many sovereigns of the Gancion Realm has made.

The woman by fact of course does not have any political gravitas to be of worth, except for being a Flower Maiden. But even then that title’s gravitas itself can only be used fully if the crowned is of higher birth.

Because of this, many Kings and Dukes of Gancio withdrew their candidacy as a player of the Flower Tournaments. Due to this of course, it open the floodgates to idealistic and chivalric knights that only came for the prestige, the tradition, and the fairest one for a lifelong partner.

 

Now what Geir and the others are doing in Fiorire started as a mere curiosity travel, wanting to see what this piece of Bestiamien culture is like.

But one thing led to another and Geir has joined the tournament, representing an aristocratic family in Fiorire.

 

“The job is simple, win the melee, win the horse race, win the poet recital, and win the maiden and you four will have the gratitude of House Aleromice.” A young nobleman retold what the job is again.

“And that 10kg gold and silver…” Marco reminded the nobleman of why they even considered this job.

“And that 10kg gold and silver of course!”

“But I do am confused, as you said it yourself, you love the current Flower Maiden! Why not just enter the tournament yourself and prove yourself!” Geir points out the obviousness.

“I do… but look at me! I’m short, not muscular, and even lame in swordsmanship compared to you Sir Geir!”

“Drop the sir and… I see your point but-”

“There is no way I would win her si- Geir…” the nobleman cut Geir off. “There is just no way this body and appearance can win that tournament for her. My mind might! But what good it would do to the other tournaments?”

“…” Geir was silent, he understood the plight that young nobleman has and though he still thinks that the nobleman should enter the tournament himself, he still needs to do a job. “Alright, I’ll do my best.”

“Thank you, Geir!” With a huge smile of gratitude, the noblemen expressed his appreciation.

 

* * *

 

The smell of horse scent was what in the air that noon as the first match Geir was about to participate, the horse race, was about to start.

Geir knew that he wasn’t quite the horse rider that young noblemen expects of him, but not to be disingenuous to himself as he has ride many horses in his sellsword days, he knows a thing or two on how to handle the beast.

And as Geir met and was about to ride his horse there was an odd but familiar feeling to it, last time he rode a horse was when he was fleeing a castle with his brother in arms.

But that oddness he is feeling is something that more or less why he never gotten his own horse, there this thought he has that riding them feels out of place and a bit demeaning. Not for him, but for the horse.

Nonetheless as Geir puts aside his own opinion on horseback riding, he mounted the horse and went to the starting line to join the other competitors.

 

Arriving at the starting line, Geir notices the peculiarity of the clothes that the other competitors made their horses wore. They wore caparisons a slightly thin cloth laid over the horses, many of them wore cloths that are just plain colors, some have their heraldry plastered all over the cloth, and some only halved their caparison either only on the front or the back.

This sighting was… odd, again another fuel that makes Geir felt that something isn’t right with this concept of horsemanship.

But again, he puts it aside and focuses on the job. The race was simple as it was a sprint match between the nobles here on who can get to the finishing line the fastest.

Geir was briefed earlier that there weren’t any designated checkpoints they have to go through, what they only need is the knowledge of the map.

And the noblemen that employs Geir shows him the shortcuts to go and obstacles he could avoid a long the race.

 

It was again, simple. Though some followed Geir on this shortcuts he was briefed about, he made use of the obstacles to hamper those who followed him.

 

Geir would finally arrive at the finishing line and be first to cross it. It was… a bit anticlimactic as he arrived there alone, where it would take another thirty minutes or so for another rider to arrive.

But of course victory was already at hand and the remaining thing to do, another peculiar tradition of the tournament, was for Geir to receive a flower for winning the race and laying it on top of the Flower Maiden’s head.

So Geir with the flower at hand approached the Flower Maiden, ready to lay the flower on top of her head. But Geir noticed a curious face that said Flower Maiden wore.

It was uneasiness as if she was reluctant to have Geir as her champion. Geir was slightly hurt by this sight but the moment he was about to lay the flower, he notices that discomfort change to fear which… Geir quickly tried to dissuade it.

 

“It’s okay… I’m not the one who’s trying to win your heart.” Geir whisperingly said to her.

“I know… you’re just doing his bidding.”

 

And that brief whispery conversation they had made Geir become more suspicious on what this job really entails.

 

It was a crossing of pathways at that point, Geir felt he needed to confront that Aleromice young noblemen on what exactly did he agree to do.

The fear in her eyes was confirmed when Geir saw how she looked at the Aleromice young noblemen, it was mixed also with disgust and contempt but fear was the biggest feeling he could see behind those eyes.

Again, Geir was unsure of what his first move was to do, but he knew he needs to tell Marco and Estryd on his suspicion.

 

“I knew it!” Siasêr woke up hearing this.

“Honey to be fair, the guy… as pathetic as he seems, has this pitying patheticness.” Marco tried to deflect some flaks.

“And that gives him the right to use someone in his stead to win a heart?” Siasêr was pissed beyond measures. “It was a huge red flag from the get go when you told me he wanted Geir to win his love, I mean what kind of man of honor is he?”

“He’s not.” Geir corrected.

“Exactly!!!” Siasêr passionately said.

“Okay so what do we do now? We can’t let Geir won the tournament for that creep!” Estryd points out.

“And we also can’t lose that 10kg of gold and silver!” and Marco points out why they accepted the job in the first place.

“Fuck the gold! We can find it elsewhere.”

“Fuck the gold? Do you think money grow on trees?! Do you know how much is 10kg of gold and silver is Estryd?!! It’s fuckin a lot, more than what I’ve been making for the last four seasons!!!!” Marco was livid at Estryd.

“WELL IT DOESN’T MEAN SHIT IF IT MEANS WE’RE ENABLING A FUCKING CREEP THAT’S GOING TO ABUSE A LOWBORN WOMAN!!!!” Estryd as well was livid at Marco.

“Okay that’s enough!!” Geir stopped the siblings from tearing each other’s throat. “We are not going to let that Aleromice boy have his way with the Flower Maiden.”

“Finally! Someone that has a heart!” Estryd praised Geir.

“But… I still need that reward, just five kilos of that gold and I could hire enough man to prepare the land for work!”

“Exactly!” Marco tells the obvious.

“I… I don’t know exactly what to do now, the poet reciting competition is about to start, but… we’ll figure something out just before the melee! I’ll try gather more on what the Flower Maiden’s relationship is with the Aleromice boy.”

 

And leaving things on hold Geir went straight to do the next match and prepared for it as he met the Aleromice young noblemen.

A slight rage was engulfing Geir’s mind, as he felt he was tricked into doing a noblemen’s lousy and scoundrel bidding, but it was small enough for Geir to managed it.

But he still needs to get to the bottom of what exactly this nobleman goal with the Flower Maiden exactly is, so he asked of the history.

 

“She… is everything, I was in a very dark state of mind and had to run away from everything! From my family! And then down the road I met her!

I remembered it as clear as day as she wore that scruffy gown of her and holding a basket full mushrooms, we talked along the way and her sincerity, her pleasantness… I knew right away she was the one and she liked me back!”

 

And… hearing that last part, Geir knew the delusion of what this young man has.

 

“Not to be rude… don’t you think she’s just being nice because you’re a nobleman?”

“No! I’ve seen the rudeness she is willing to show to other blue bloods like me! I’m different! She wore that smile so sincere and lovingly only for me!”

 

Geir… knew he lost the boy, there’s nothing to really get him out of this delusional state of mind. So, he withdrew from the conversation and not push it any further.

The tournament as well was about to start and Geir was about to show his poetry skills in front the crowd.

 

It was… passable to say the least, Geir is a sell sword first and foremost after all. Not that flowery words aren’t in his vocabulary, he won the heart of a princess in the west through words after all, but when it comes to his prose, his intonations, and especially the delivery, it was… passable to say the least.

Because of that it was enough for him to lay another flower on top of the Flower Maiden’s head again and where he saw the fear in her eyes again.

 

“After this… can we talk?” Geir said whisperingly.

“Where… exactly?” The Flower Maiden was curious at the proposal.

“Under that apple tree near the creek this midnight.”

“Okay… but what exactly do you want to talk?” Her suspicion of Geir was granted as this might be a trap for her.

“I need to know your side of the story.”

“Ohh… alright then.” And hearing that, the Maiden knew she has gained a possible ally through Geir.

 

* * *

 

As sun fell and the moon risen changing the light of that of the moon’s, the Maiden knew that the time has come.

She walked alongside the creek following the current where it leads her to Geir, who was right exactly under the apple tree he spoken of.

The Maiden was still suspicious of Geir as before she approached him, she looked around checking if there was anything of oddness in the area.

But there were none, there was only the moon, the flowing water in the creek, the apple tree, and Geir skipping rocks to kill time while awaiting her.

 

“That was five… rocks you just skipped.” The Maiden was impressed.

“Really? Last time I swore I could make it to ten…” Geir said.

“Huh…” The Maiden became more impressed, but she saw it also as an invitation to beat his record.

 

Hearing the record Geir has, the Maiden went to Geir and grabbed one of the rocks under him.

She prepared herself with the right movements and let loose of the rock to the creek. It skipped nine times.

 

“Oooff, two more and you could’ve beaten my record.” Geir teasingly said.

“Well if lately I’m in the right state of mind, I could have gotten twenty or so skips.” The Maiden somberly said.

“Ahh… that Aleromice boy huh?”

“His name is Luca… and that boy is the head of House Aleromice.”

 

The Maiden told next of what their history was, she told as what Luca has already told to Geir, running away from home, travelling briefly in the streets and countrysides of Fiorire, and his befalling heart towards the Maiden.

She has stated that Luca is an intelligent and sincere person, she knows the goodness in his heart that would change Fiorire for the better as the next head of House Aleromice.

But she knows as well how fragile his heart is, knows how easily it can be manipulated. Because of that she never tried making hints nor advances towards him, she was just glad she could make a friend in higher places.

 

Yet it came all to nothing when the letters started to came, the poems, the heartfelt words in ink, everything was becoming more and more overwhelming as the Maiden never asked for it.

She was of course flattered of those words and encouragements, but… what she wanted is just a person that she can confide platonically.

And it become more outrageous by the day as the letters changed to gifts of flowers, then sweets, then jewelry, then-

 

“Horses.” The Maiden said mind-blowingly

“Horses? As in…” Geir tried to make sense of what she is trying to say.

“Horses!!! Not a horse, but horses!!! Which I know… that he knows my father is a farmer and horses could help us a lot in the field, in carrying our products, but! HORSES!!!”

“Huh…”

“I felt… trapped day by day, from my friends saying I should marry him, from my mother wanting me to settle down, to my father who wants more of these… ‘gifts’ from him.”

 

By all means the Maiden was tired, she never asked for any of these of him and as moments goes she felt suffocated knowing that as person that is aware of one self’s worth knows that she has to repay back.

But she doesn’t want to because it means selling her self to him, maybe as bride that he will love and care dearly but at a cost of her own freedom.

 

“I… I know for sure you will win the melee Sir Geir, it is still a job you contractually is obliged to fulfil. Because of that, the moment you won I’ll be gone in an instant, please don’t see it as a slight.” The Maiden said.

“No… my pitiness towards him blinded me of his true self and you are trapped after all! It is natural to find a way out.” Geir sympathize. “But… don’t be too hasty yet, me and my friends will try find a way out for you!”

“Really?”

“Yes, the least we could do is try to give your freedom back.” Geir said. “Also, drop the sir and just call me Geir.”

“Geir… okay and… you can call me Maria!”

 

* * *

 

“I’’ve always wanted to see beyond the hills of grapes and olives of Fiorire, I know for certain that this place is a beautiful and wonderful place but… I felt that there is something more beyond those hills.”

 

Geir knew exactly what Maria is trying to say, he recognizes this yearn for adventure and for experiences.

Hearing this also give firm to what he believes what is right, the freedom that Maria rightfully deserves.

 

“And also… really? From the west? Pass that waste of an ocean?!” Maria was intrigued when Geir told where he came from.

“Yes, we call that land Eyklandi, a frozen waste hole where golden wheats like in here would turn brittle and cold.” Geir jokingly said.

“Wow… and land is what brings you here?”

“At first, but knowing how vast this land is, how… intriguingly beautiful it is brought the inner fifteen-year-old in me that wants to travel and see magnificent things again, haha.”

“Haha…”

 

They both were walking through the streets of Fiorire, exchanging stories of their youth and origins while trying to find their way to Estryd and Marco.

It was a very intimate conversation to say the least, learning of how similar they were as a child, how independent, how ambitious they are of wanting to see the world.

Geir realizes too so familiarly of how shackled Maria is to the land of her birth.

 

When Geir and Maria finally caught up with Marco and Estryd, and also a fully awaken Siasêr. The three of them quickly inform of the plan they just hatch to help Maria.

It was a quite a reveal to Geir as it divulges of who Siasêr truly was and it was also a perfect plan that was already executed.

The only thing left to do is Geir to win the melee.

But before he could get some rest for the melee tomorrow, Estryd pulls Geir aside.

“That was… quite the chummy attitude you have with her.” Estryd said… jealously.

“With Maria? Yeah!! We both learn a thing or two of how much similar we were at our youth haha!!” Geir didn’t picked up the jealousness and was still enjoying the fleeting moment of familiarity he has with Maria.

“Haha…” Estryd laughed sarcastically and yet Geir still hasn’t picked up the queue.

 

And while this conversation was on going, Maria saw the two of them. Saw the jealousy and envy Estryd is showing through her eyes. It became more clear as that eyes were then directed towards her.

She felt… familiar, a couple of the high born ladies of Fiorire that had eyes on Luca wore that same eyes and expressions whenever she received gifts from Luca.

It was to say the least giving her the same gut wrench she has back then. But this time, she can actually do something about it with a simple conversation.

 

“Hey… can I make somethings straight?” Maria approaches Geir and Estryd. “You don’t need to worry about me, I’ll honestly support the two of you when that time comes!”

“Huh?” Geir was confused by the statement.

“HUH?!!” And Estryd new exactly what Maria meant.

“Wait… you do have fee-”

“FEELINGS?! TOWARDS THIS… this… this fuckin dunce of a sellsword??? NO WAY!”

“Wait wha…” Geir was beyond confused right now and a little bit hurt.

 

Hearing this from Estryd, Maria knew what kind of woman Estryd was and… can’t really do anything but if can, help the two of them.

 

“Forget what I say I was just seeing things… haha…” Maria said jokingly.

 

As day broke and the competitors of the melee came, Geir and the others gathered not far from the entrance for the melee participator. They all bid him good luck and blessings of safety to Geir.

But before Geir could enter the arena, suddenly they felt a presence of radiance approaching them. It was a bit choking for all of them, but it specially very familiar to Siasêr.

 

“Your Highness???” Siasêr knew exactly who this was.

“Lady Siasêr! Didn’t expect you and your husband to be here!” The man of importance said pleasantly to Siasêr.

“I too as well your Highness…” Siasêr was in disbelief. “OHHH where are my manners! Geir, Estryd, Maria, Let me introduce you all to-”

“Prince Eiran of Bryn! A pleasure to meet the friends of Lady Siasêr!”

That man, that prince, that illustrious and radiant prince who has bright and long ginger hair is the Prince of Bryn. A realm ruled diversely by humans, fadas, and many more beings.

 

“A pleasure to meet you your highness… I’ve heard… quite the tale from my brother.” Estryd said.

“Really? Marco is actually spreading my tales?” Eiran smiled at Marco.

“Shut up…” Marco was dismissive.

“Haha… ohh and you must be the Flower!” Eiran approached Maria. “A pleasure to finally meet the woman I will win this melee for!”

 

Eiran took Maria’s hand was about to kiss them, but Geir seeing how uncomfortable Maria was quickly put away Eiran’s lips and hands from Maria’s hand.

 

“You dare too… oh wait… you must be Geir the Stranger.” Eiran recognize who Geir was.

“The Stranger?” Geir was confused at that epithet.

“Yes! I’ve heard of a meddlesome stranger that has been going around the Circondato Sea.”

“Huh…”

“And it seems you’re going to be my opponent huh?”

“It seems so…”

“It seems so.” Eiran looked piercingly at Geir. “Well! May the best man win!”

Eiran took off and Geir blow a sigh of relief after that confrontation, but suddenly out of nowhere Geir felt his instincts to block something from his behind.

Geir in a manner of seconds blocked it with his steel hands and saw that it was Eiran, holding a dagger like an ice pick and was about to slash him.

 

“YOUR HIGHNESS WHAT ARE YOU DOING???” Siasêr was shocked at what Eiran was doing.

“So, it is true too… Hands of Steel…”

 

Eiran pulls away his dagger and sheathed it back. He then went away and continued to enter the arena.

 

“Geir I’m so sorry for what His Highness did.” Siasêr said apologetically.

“It’s… okay, I was kind of expecting this from him.”

 

* * *

 

A roaring crowd of people blocked out the sounds of the clashing swords in the melee, Geir was fighting for his honor in that pit as he overpowered many opponents that came in to him.

It was easy, his experience as sell sword gave him the advantage against theses green chivalrous knights.

But all of that would end when he finally would face Eiran the Radiant.

 

“So, it comes down to us, a Sell Sword and a Prince.” Eiran said.

“More like, two people that actually knows how to use a sword.” Geir corrected.

“True… shall we end thi-“

 

Geir with no hesitation lunge first and pointed his sword straight at Eiran’s heart. Eiran noticed this fairly quickly and superhumanly countered Geir’s attack and was about to give a slash towards his neck.

But it was a but a close call for Geir as he swiftly blocked it with his axe’s handle.

 

“Very sell sword of you.” Eiran remarked

“Shut up.” Geir annoyingly said.

 

Geir then use his strength to push Eiran off of Geir where it gives distance for the two of them to catch a breath.

As time was of the essence, they took only one single breath to continue to where they left off and a clash of swords and an axe was exchanged between two of them.

It was a stalemate when observed, Geir was powerful as Eiran was too. They realized quickly that it was a battle of attrition or… the first to disarmed the other.

And sadly, Geir was the first one to be disarmed.

“AND THERE WE HAVE IT OU-”

“BE QUIET!!!!” Eiran said authoritatively to the announcer. “THIS FIGHT IS NOT OVER, RISE YOUR HANDS GEIR THE STRANGER.”

 

Geir quickly realized what Eiran meant by that and obliged as he was given the chance to win.

So Geir dashed quickly and was about to punch straight into Eiran’s face, but right away Eiran swung his sword straight at Geir’s head and was about to cut him.

There was only one logically thing to do, grabbed it with his steel-hands.

 

The crowd… went silent, they awaited blood to comedown dripping from Geir’s hand, but it never came, it never dripped down.

And they quickly roared realizing the hands of steel that Geir has.

Not wanting to elongate this melee any longer, Geir finished it by taking away and throwing Eiran’s sword. Eiran quickly realized the mistake and quickly drew his dagger.

He hold it as a ice pick and was about to quickly made a slash at Geir’s throat. But what came is a shattering of a million fragments of steel that just collided with Geir’s hands of steel.

 

“Well…” Seeing the utter defeat he is in, Eiran… “I surrender, good fight out there Stranger.”

 

The crowd roars in applause and the announcer declared Geir the Stranger as the winner of the tournament.

It was a joyous view for all as the previous Flower Maiden and the current Flower Maiden, Maria, came down to Geir to give the crown of spring. Geir took it and then crowned it upon Maria’s head.

 

“Congragulation!” Maria was proud at Geir.

“Don’t be… to hasty.” Geir reminded it wasn’t over.

“Ahh right…”

 

* * *

 

They were by the creek and under the apple tree that Geir and Maria first met.

Who they were awaiting was Luca, who came alone wearing face of pure delight.

 

“I knew you were the right one for the job!!!!” Luca said in excitement. “And Maria!! My flower of spring… we can fi-”

 

Geir stood on Luca’s way from Maria.

 

“What… is this…” Luca was puzzled.

“Luca… no… Lord Aleromice.” Maria said very formally.

“Why are you addressing me like that…”

“I am not your beloved, I will not be your bride, and though I appreciate what you have done for my family, the many gifts also, I… do not see you that way Lord Aleromice.”

“…” Luca was perplexed and slowly rage took over. “NO! You are mine! Do you think my love is cheap? Do you think all those gifts as nothing? I love you!!!”

“And I don’t my Lord…”

“I can’t believe it…” Luca was disheartened. “So, all those time you were just leading me on? Taking advantage of my nobility status?”

“I DO NOT, you were suffocating me with all those unnecessary letters and gifts! you were someone of higher position that I could not refuse!”

“OHH REALLY??? What of those nobles you easily declined?!!!”

“YOU WERE DIFFERENT, you were… I thought of you as a friend and I… did not want to hurt your feelings…”

“A friend? A FRIEND?!!!” Luca went mad.

 

Geir seeing that reaction readied his self for any ugly confrontation Luca was about to do.

And Luca filled with rage, saw how protective Geir was of Maria and how clinging Maria was to Geir.

 

“Ohhhhh I see!!!!! It’s your heart that was as cheap as street whore!” Luca said maliciously.

“You… did you just say-”

“Ohh yes I did, I can see it clearly now of how much of a common we-”

 

SLAP…

 

Luca was slapped so… thoroughly, so personally, so… disappointingly by Maria.

 

“YOU BITCH.”

 

Luca seeing what just befall on him, retaliated as he swung his arm towards Maria. Ready to give the same slapping he just received.

But in the middle of the way, a certain radiance came to play as he grabbed Luca’s hand.

 

“Now, now… it is unnoble of you young Aleromice to hit a woman.” It was Eiran who grabbed Luca’s hand.

“Your Highne-”

 

SLAP…

 

Another slap came to Luca, but it wasn’t from Maria… it was from Estryd.

 

“Just because you loved her dearly, does that mean she owes it to you to reciprocate it. If you truly love her you would never have suffocated her into loving you, you would only… love her even if she doesn’t feel the same way as you…” Estryd stated so passionately.

“…” But Luca’s only answer was silence of disgust. “Kiss goodbye to that ten kilo of riches I promise to you Geir the Stranger and don’t think this is over Maria! I still won you! and that crown on your head? Is as much as my hand that lays it on top of your head.”

“Really? I thought it was my hands considering… you never once enter a champion in your stead Aleromice.” Siasêr mischievously said.

“What?!”

“That is true… I was fighting your champion in that arena after all, Lady Siasêr Danann.” Eiran specifically said Siasêr’s full name to show the nobility that rest inside Siasêr.

“That man, that stranger is my champion! Aleromice’s champion!”

“Check again.” Marco then gave a parchment full of the noble houses that participated the Flower Tournaments.

“Where… where is my house’s name? this cannot-”

“Be? How can something is be when it never happens in the first place?” Siasêr said with a menacing face.

“The ten kilo of gold… you can keep it, we can always find riches somewhere else.” Geir, though somewhat reluctant, said peeacefully to Luca.

 

* * *

 

It was over… the suffocation that Maria felt was finally over, she could finally breathe again, she could finally see the colors of the sky once more.

And the job, though unpaid, was finish for Geir and the three of them. It was a bit disheartening to lose that many riches, but they knew it was worth it to exchange it for the freedom of a young woman.

 

“This is it huh…” Maria said somewhat somberly.

“Yes…” Geir replied.

“Where to next? East? West?”

“East, I heard there’s a war that a sell sword like me can be of use.”

“Ohh… will I ever see you all again?”

“Maybe… I don’t know, life is… fickle and I don’t want to make promises that I can’t keep.”

“True…”

 

It was… a melancholic parting to say the least and Estryd from the distance was seeing it unfolding.

She was still jealous to a certain degree, but she was also pitying Maria. She saw a part of her in Maria, saw the same part she saw herself in Geir.

What she has to do is something so obvious, but her envy her jealousy was quite strong.

 

“If you think she’s seeing Geir the way you see her, then you’re mighty wrong Estryd.” Siasêr.

“How do you know…” Estryd was moody.

“Because I was at the same situation like you with your brother and… it was ugly.” Siasêr shamefully admits. “Jealousy is a vile feeling Estryd, nurturing it is never a good idea.”

“So, I should just trust her? Trust Geir to not have feelings for her…”

“Wait you don’t see it…”

“See what?”

 

Siasêr right away knew that something was clouding her judgement fully of Geir and it was something she could feel is very personal that it can only be broken by herself.

 

“Nothing… you’ll see it yourself.” Siasêr dismissed her statement. “But let’s focus on Maria, Estryd. You know exactly what kind of woman she is.”

“Yes…” Estryd said reluctantly.

“So do the right thing!”

 

And as Siasêr said it, she floats away towards Marco.

 

Estryd right there has a choice, to let jealousy consume her or be the person she wanted to be to other women.

It was heavily conflicting but… deep down she knows that she wants more people like her to achieve their freedom.

 

“You should come with us!” Estryd approaches Geir and Maria.

“What?” Maria was confused.

“You should join us! Geir’s longship still has more room and it welcomes more companions on its journey.”

“I…” Maria was speechless.

“You did say you want to see the world, right?” Geir pointed one of her many ambitions.

“I did… but I would be leaving a lot! I would be leaving my family! My friends… everyone…”

“As so did we, Geir left his family as I did too, it is a huge sacrifice after all but a sacrifice that is worth every moment of it.”

“…” Maria was silent, contemplating on whether to embark this great journey, but the answer was already in her mouth. “Al… alright then! I’ll start packing!”

 

Maria wore a delighted smile she has never once wore in her lifetime after agreeing to come with Geir and Estryd.

She has never ran so far to her home to pack, Geir and Estryd too saw another free spirit like them who was about to let loose of their wings towards the world.

0