Chapter 3.2 – Survivor
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The priest stands next to the door, gazing out towards the room as Nedoma approached him. His hands are hidden under the sleeves of his black robes, whose white decorations dance alongside the dark fabric. A symbol of Mortae, two outstretched hands, lay at the chest. He turns to face Nedoma just a couple of feet away.

He smiles, “Leaving so soon?” eyeing Nedoma's belongings.

“Yes, I think I'm doing better now, thank you.”

“Don't thank me, thank the adventurer who healed you when they found you! I'm sure it must have been one of our church's students.”

Nedoma nodded. “If you find who it was, please give them my gratitude.” he paused for a moment. “By any chance, you wouldn't happen to know where some of the other villagers from my town may have went?”

The priest shook his head. “I am not aware, my apologies.”

Nedoma nodded his head. “Thanks anyways.” As he placed his hand on the door handle, the priest suddenly started up again.

“You know...” he said with the same mile, “if you were looking for ways to thank us, we are always open to any generous donations.” His smile weighed on Nedoma.

“S-sorry,” he stuttered, “I don't have any money to give.”

The priest continued to look at Nedoma for a moment. Then, his face broke out into an even bigger smile. “Sure thing! Have a nice evening.” he said after he gave a slight wave, as though he were signaling it was time for Nedoma to depart. As he watched the boy leave and finally close the door behind him, he relaxed his smile.

Although he was already able to tell somewhat from inside, Nedoma was still surprised how dark it had already gotten. Just woke up and it's already night time. A loud yawn escapes him. And already tired. Didn't think they would kick me out so soon, what should I do now? He pondered for a moment. The normally ambient and alive streets now seemed calm and dark. By this time most people have returned somewhere to prepare for the day's end and are no longer strolling along the streets. Still need to look for mom and dad....Also need to find somewhere to say. And, I suppose, I need to complete my registration to become an adventurer. With the day already nearing it's end, Nedoma decides to prioritize the first two.

Nedoma began to walk through the near empty streets. Lanterns stand spread out along the street, each sharing the burden of brightening the path. It already feels much more different than Ayrith. The buildings are much bigger, and even in the dark it can be easily seen that a lot of these are not just houses, but stores. The people of Ayrith were in part forced to be self sustaining. With not an entirely large income, there were not a huge variety of stores in the village and the ones that were present mainly dealt with essentials. This was also in part due to it's remote nature and small population. Coming to what looked like a sort of intersection within the city, Nedoma finally spotted what he had been trying to look for. A man dressed in metal walked with purpose throughout the street.

“Excuse me!” Nedoma shouted as he ran up to the man. The helmet cased head turned to look at the direction of the noise. “Are you a guard?”

“Yes. Are you a mugger?”

Huh? “Huh? No, I just wanted to ask you something.” Nedoma raised his hands in the air.

“I'm just joking boy.” the guard chuckled. “What's the question?”

Nedoma laughed along. “I'm looking for any people who might have come from Ayrith in the past few days. Do you know where they might be?”

“Ayrith, huh?" The guard stood silently for a moment. “Well, I imagine people running from there either are at the church, or they might be camping out near the slums.” He pointed down one of the roads, one that seemed less lit than the others. “If they went there, you'd find them going down that street.”

“Thank you.” Nedoma gave a slight bow as he headed towards the street that the guard pointed at.

“Stay safe!” the guard shouted at the boy as he watched him wander off into the darkness.

1