Chapter 3.3 – Survivor
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Slums, huh? Nedoma thought to himself as he continued to walk. It looks similar to Ayrith, maybe even better. Even in the darkness one can make out the basic features of the surrounding buildings. A few bricks missing, paint faded in areas, occasionally in the dark you may be able to spot some form of graffiti or markings, but otherwise these homes seemed certainly fine. How am I supposed to figure out if anyone from the village is here or not? It was only when he began to reach the end of the street that he found his answer.

It was as if he had somehow been summoned to a different town, the change had been that drastic. The buildings once entering his vision were replaced with makeshift dwellings that could not even be called shacks. The stone road ends, being replaced with the paved-by-footsteps dirt road that stretched between Luton and his home village. Even in the dark, Nedoma can make out people sitting on the ground. Some not even human he realized as he come across a short and stout dwarf sitting by himself. As he wandered around, trying to steal a glance as best as he could at every face trying to recognize them, he became more and more aware of how they were looking at him. They probably think I'm either a thief sizing them up or a guard looking for someone... After some time of searching, he was still unable to find anyone who he recognized. Maybe I'll have better look tomorrow when there's more light out. Guess I better go home. Nedoma instinctively turns around and takes one step before he stops. Oh, that's right. Well, I guess this is the only place I can afford to sleep at.

Nedoma walks further into the slums, looking for a spot where he can lay down that didn't seem to be super crowded. He comes across such a place, nearby what looked like might be a family spread out on a blanket with their belongings. A figure sits upright, it's head can barely be made out to be seen turning toward Nedoma as he walks by them. Finding a patch of ground that seems suitable enough, he settles down with all of his life's possessions. He removes the sack from his waist and ties it's end to his hand, hoping that if someone tried taking it he would wake up. The sword which had been given to him without a sheath finally left his hand and was placed on the dirt. Nedoma was nervous about losing what might be his only tool to make money, so he did his best to place it underneath his legs to cover it with his own body.

Having passed out in his last fight and waking up in fresh clothes, Nedoma was unaware of how bad the burn scars had been. But right now he can feel slight twitches of pain as he lay on the ground, signaling that the scars stretch to his backside as well. Nedoma looks up at the night sky while trying to fall asleep. The moon provides only a faint glow tonight. He begins to count all of the stars that litter the night. One..two..three..four..five.. Nedoma found himself no closer to sleep after he reached twenty-three than he did one. Maybe if I just close my eyes and try to relax that would be better. He shuts his eyes and lets out a long breath, a signal that he is most certainly calm and ready for sleep. A while later, were one still awake, you could faintly hear an annoyed voice mutter “This sucks.”

Ugh, morning already? Nedoma wakes up with the arrival of sunlight. In his own mind, the sense of “tired” being experienced right now is far worse than the “tired” when waking up in the church. Rubbing his eyes, it reminded him of the sack that he had tied to his wrist, which he unties and then verifies its contents. Hatchet, the jewelry, what's this? A small pouch could be seen nestled at the very bottom of his container. Nedoma pulls it out and unties the small string that keeps it closed. Inside it are quite a few copper coins and a single silver coin. Was this in the sack originally? Nedoma stared at the coins trying to remember if they had been there before and perhaps he had missed them, but it was to no avail. Let's see here... He scans his memory, trying to remember what his parents taught him about currency before. I think it goes twenty copper to one silver, twenty silver to one gold, and then twenty gold to...something. He couldn't remember what the last coin type was after gold, likely because to his family having even one gold was practically a dream, let alone twenty. After quickly counting the contents of the sack, it adds up to one silver and thirteen copper, or thirty-three copper coins value. Completing this task, his stomach must have recognized that having money equates to being able to purchase food, for it began to growl. Well, it has been a few days since I ate.

Nedoma puts the coins back and readies himself so he can head out. As he grabs his belongings and begins to search for some food, he spots the family from the previous night. Seeing them clearly now, a vague sense of familiarity fills him. He begins to head toward them, wondering if his guess was correct.

1