CHAPTER 27. Her Holiness
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the past, there were instances when Julius had fallen ill in a similar manner.

During those times, business would go on as usual. If rigorous commissions were out of the question, then he’d bury himself in paperwork. The reason was because he believed that if he were to succumb to a mere illness, he couldn’t hope to prevail against the witches and alike.

Numb to the affliction which pervaded his sense, Julius would work without breaking a sweat.

...During those times, it was so much easier.

That was right.

As of the present, Julius was left clutching the chest area of his shirt. It felt as if his throat had narrowed, causing difficulty to breath. Perspiration ran down his forehead. Despite the fact that it was almost afternoon, each time he opened his eyes, it was as if he could see countless shimmering stars. Moreover, he was burning.

...Strange.

Back then, did drawing breathes feel that painful?

Back then, did it feel like he was burning in Inferno?

In fact, until a few moments ago, it was just like the usual. As if the sickness was a lie, he felt that he could persevere.

That was right.

Until she left.

The witch had acted like her usual impertinent self. As a result, it led to multiple nefarious outcomes. She’d touch him brazenly, commit a lot of incorrigible acts to him, and even humiliate him from time to time—

—all the while sporting the look of genuine concern and utmost care on her face.

That was one, if not the only, reason why he let her do as she pleased.

Julius couldn’t believe himself, either.

...No, it must’ve been because I’m sick.

Sick people made poor judgement. A certain witch had also mentioned that in his current state, he was forgiven for anything.

Although, as of that moment, he didn’t know whether to take her words for it or not.

After all, the same individual had once said—

“—After all, when you’re sick, you’re entitled to a great deal of care and lavish attention!”

While looking at the present reality, Julius muttered in frustration while shielding his view from the blinding radiance pouring down from the skylight.

“...This is nothing like you promised.”

[]

Magic existed in every part of the world. However, some parts were more saturated in magic than the others. As a result, the organisms living there tended to grow into something magical—including the plants.

“—A refreshing drink after a taxing trip! It may cost some pretty pennies, but I can see why Regulus’ café is very popular! Such a fine adjustment!”

On the table beside her, a shaggy, blond-haired, man wearing a slightly worn-out traveling coat could be seen relishing his drink. A large rucksack sat beside him, further hinting that the man came from outside of town.

It was likely the case, since the man needed to retune his magic, as evidenced by the drink sitting on top of his table. Hence the word ‘adjustment.’

Inside a tulip-shaped glass, a drink consisting of various vivid colors glimmered. At the base, a liquid as blue as the ocean welled. At the surface of the drink, floated many edible flowers. The drink looked like a glassful of jewels. Considering the price, it may as well be considered that.

“Here, I noticed that you’ve been staring at the drink. Please enjoy~!”

All of a sudden, a similar-looking drink was served before Ame.

A blond youth donning a waiter uniform leaned on her table, his blue eyes staring expectantly at her. At a glimpse, due to the man’s facial features and cheeriness, it was quite easy to forget the fact that he was older than her.

However, instead of a word of thanks or a praise—

“...Vincent? I’m sorry, but I didn’t order this—”

“—It’s fine, it’s on the house! Consider it as a repayment!” Vincent winked, the enthusiastic smile on his face suggesting that he wouldn’t accept any refusal.

The club that the Regulus Inn was so famous for would only open at the night. During the day, there’d be a cafe at the first floor. That covered about most, if not all, the differences, though.

The waiter that had just served her was dressed in a neat casual uniform, while his hair was styled in a relaxed yet stylish manner. The manner in which he spoke to her was also polite.

He had recognized her, as she did them.

After all, he also worked as a host during the night. At night, the now-host waiters would speak more casually.

Truth to be told, Ame was still finding difficulty in differentiating between a waiter and a host. Based on the definitions, they felt the same.

Basically, people like Vincent would work tirelessly day and night to provide a comfortable atmosphere for the customers. In which, after a tiring day, they’d not only provide listening ears, but also some warm, supportive, words. To top it off, they’d offer high-quality drinks because the customers deserved the best. The speed at which they’d refill a customer’s cup was top-notch, too.

...Such respectable men, dedicated to their job.

At the same time, it was precisely because of that line of job that some customers grew too attached to them. As the line got blurred and boundary crossed, sorcery was then thrown into the mix.

In fact, that was how she became intermingled with most of them.

Thus...

Vincent sneakily whispered to her;

“—Don’t worry, unlike the one that man is having, it doesn’t contain any magical ingredients! Therefore, it won’t taste terrible! Consider it as my apology for last time!”

...The fact that she was a witch had already become well-known to them, and even a particular trait of her.

Unlike humans, when a magic user of a certain degree fed upon magical plants and alike, all they could taste was the magic itself. Under such circumstances, not even the magic of Helleborus Forest could escape from the ‘disgusting’ category. The meaning behind the forest’s name kind of made sense.

At the explanation, Ame relaxed a little. Her reluctance barely subsided, though.

“...But it must’ve taken quite an effort to make such a wonderful drink. To have it for free—”

“Don’t worry, it’s what Leopold wanted, as well.”

“...Who’s Leopold? Also, that’s quite an impressive name.”

“The man you’re looking is over there.” Vincent’s gaze was pointed at a certain tall man standing behind the counter.

Oh, he’s...!

The blond waiter also added, “He can’t thank you enough for last night. ...As for the name, all I can say is that our boss decides our alias for us, just like he did all the menu items. For the better or for the worse...”

By the way, Vincent’s full alias was Vincentius.

...I see, Klavier has this side to him, as well.

“In that case, what about this drink? Does it have a name as well?”

“It sure did, the name is—” Vincent’s bright expression turned into that of repulsion. “—'La Arc-En-Ciel Sur L'océan, or basically, ‘Rainbow over the Ocean.’ Couldn’t count how many times I have bit my tongue trying to introduce it to a customer since it’s our signature drink.”

“O-okay.”

“Anyway, enjoy. Boss should be here, soon.”

Vincent left to serve other customers, and Ame was left alone with the retouched drink. Upon tasting it, she understood why it became a signature drink. Each layer was made of different, flavorful, fruit extract. Meanwhile, the sea-blue base had a flavor that matched each and every layer.

That was probably not the only reason the traveler beside her ordered the drink, though.

The other reason was the magical attribute.

The traveler who hailed from outside of town didn’t have the magical immunity that the townspeople of Freyja had towards that land. As a result, those travelers would experience extreme weariness as their bodies adapted, which could last for about as long as a week.

Not for those who were willing to pay, though.

If prepared correctly, a magical dish could repair the disruption of magic within one’s body by being absorbed into the system.

In that town, Regulus Inn was probably the only establishment allowed by Fenrir to handle magical ingredients and outright serve them. It was because improper way of handling the ingredients could easily lead to magic erosion. Hence, the exorbitant price.

On the paper, it’d seem that the customers of such dishes would be limited to wealthy travelers. But in reality, there were nobles who’d seek them purely for recreational purposes—and Freyja didn’t lack any of such nobles.

After all, despite how awful a magic tasted, it always came with a thrilling sensation of power as an aftertaste.

“Why the long face? The drink my employee has fixed for you isn’t good enough?”

A haughty remark broke her out of her reverie.

“That isn’t the case—! It’s truly delicious—! I can’t thank you enough, especially the fact that I can drink it for free—!”

In front of her, stood the owner of the high-class establishment.

Immediately, wrinkles appeared between his eyebrows.

“What? For free?” Asked Klavier in irritation.

Could it be, they did it behind his back...?

“Of course, I’m not saying that I won’t pay—!”

“...How come when it comes to my offers, you always refuse them all?! I offered a lot of stuff to you, even a charitable worker would be envious of me! To top it off, don’t you always order water whenever you visit this place? What’s the sudden change? Which one of my employees it is!?”

“K, Klavier, calm down...?”

Being utterly honest, the ultimate reason as to why she couldn’t order or accept any of his offers—

I can’t understand a word on your menu!!!

“It’s your menu! I can’t comprehend any—”

“—Are you trying to say something about my naming sense?”

“No, of course not.”

Klavier was a type of person that would take any insults at a stride. But when it came to his naming sense, he was about as unforgiving as the knight templar at home.

“Well, best to finish it before the taste changes. I’ll be waiting at the bar.”

The red-haired owner of the inn said as he turned on his heels.

[]

Afterwards, as per Klavier’s invitation, the two moved to the bar. Various potted plants—said to be oriental—could be seen hanging at the wall;

Upon taking a sip of what could be said as her actual reason for coming there, Ame began to explain.

“I really love the apples from the Count of Vera’s orchard. They are not overly sweet and are perfect for baking. Not only did the heat bring out its sweet tartness, but the crispness also remained.”

Klavier, whom had been stirring his own juice for a while, asked in confusion.

“So, is it not good for drinking, or something?”

“On the contrary, if it’s juiced—or in this case, is made into a cider—the refreshing aftertaste would last quite a bit. The realest tasting juice out there, if I do say so myself.”

“Then, why the long face?”

“...Huh?”

Klavier’s question caught her off guard.

“After I went through so much just to fetch you a bottle, can’t you pretend to be the slightest bit happy? I never expected you to be this thankless!”

As the man had said, he went to the site of the party early to get his hand on one of the Count Vera’s trademark apple cider.

“I, I’m sorry and also thank you for the troubles you have to go through to procure this cider and—”

“—and preserve it.”

“—and preserve it—

“—with high-quality ice crystals—...”

“...with high-quality ice crystals—”

“—and serve it to you on a silver platter the very next day!”

“...”

Klavier’s smug grin grew exponentially as he adulterated her apology.

That was the main reason why she loathed asking him for a favor.

Upon being the receiving end of her fed-up gaze, Klavier nonchalantly shrugged it off.

“Well, forget it. Ever since the beginning, I’ve already braced for it to be a thank-less job, after all. Can’t you at least tell me what’s on your mind?”

The crimson-haired man asked while propping his cheek on his hand. Knowing Klavier, he probably did it not out of the kindness of his heart, but for the sake of amusement.

“That’s... uhm, it’s about Julius—”

“—What’s with Captain Julius?”

Suddenly, a figure leaned over their table.

Perhaps, it was because of her overall simple style, causing her to blend in well with crowds. Or perhaps, the fleet-footed skill she had learned as a soldier.

Before the witch knew it, the saint—Reina Sue, had approached their table.

[]

“Why, for me to meet the saint in such a place! How lucky of me! It’s nothing to worry about, Ms. Reina! Lately, I’ve been seeing Mr. Julius on the street a lot! Since the air is chilly, I’m worried that it’ll be strenuous to his health! I wish there’s something we can do for him!”

With that statement and a replica of how the grandmas would smile amidst gossiping, Ame managed to convince Reina. The saint now thought of her as a Concerned Townsfolk A. By the way, Klavier looked about to retch as he listened.

“There’s no need to worry. You see, even when he was still our captain, he’s the kind of person who prefers his own company. That’s just how Captain is—oh, no... Here goes my bad habit. Even though he’s no longer my captain...”

Reina proceeded to join their table. Judging by how nonchalant she was, the girl either didn’t recognize Klavier, or was acquainted with him. It had to be latter.

...She’s THE saint, after all.

The second Reina pulled a seat and sat beside her, Ame jolted. Her instinct—no, her entire body urged her to steer clear of that woman. Thankfully, she managed to suppress it and avoided making a scene.

The witches, as a matter of course, would conceal their magical aura to avoid detection. Not to mention, since it bore their individual traits, it’d be the first to be traced back to them.

But I guess it’s different when you’re a saint.

As a testament to her title, the saint was brimming with holy aura.

...I’m sure people would be dying to be basking in such aura.

She’d be, too. Only, literally.

Moreover, the ferocity of the saint’s so-called aura as it pervaded Ame’s senses... it was as if she was being hit with a spell.

Under normal circumstances, the magical aura should be created by one’s excess magic. As the vessel couldn’t contain anymore magic, it’d be dispelled into the air. Depending on one’s magic regeneration rate, the aura could either be immense or faint.

—And you’re telling me that she regenerates about the amount required for a beginner spell per second?!

Realizing that she was sitting right next to a holy magic powerhouse, Ame sweated nervously as her life flashed before her eyes.

She could feel her skin drying up. To put it bluntly, it was shriveling.

Not good...! If I were to stay here any longer, I definitely won’t last...!

Thus, Ame shot Klavier a pleading, ‘I-must-leave-at-this-very-moment’, look.

To which the man pondered briefly towards, before showing her a smile that said he got things covered.

Then, Klavier announced to Reina.

“My friend is raring for you to go—!”

“Wait, that’s not what I—!?”

Ame turned to look at the saint, wondering if she had struck a nerve. However, Reina had a look of pure joy to her face.

“I see...! So, you’ve come to see me perform, as well...! Have you been waiting long...?!”

Suddenly, her hand was grabbed by none other than the saint.

“Well, obviously. Why else would everyone be waiting here?”

H, hot—! It burns, it burns—!

“Oh, Master, you flatter me...!”

Oblivious to her pain, the two went on with their conversation.

But more importantly...!

What were they talking about?

What did the saint mean by ‘perform’? She wasn’t actually going to sing, right?

Thinking about it, it was unthinkable for Reina Sue, who made sure to help everyone from dusk to dawn, to be slacking off in such an establishment.

That was right. It was a huge oversight on her part. Since Reina Sue, the saint, was present—it could only mean one thing;

“Then, by all means, I shall proceed with my mission, and that is to give my blessing to this entire place!”

At the same time, the saint’s holy aura intensified. As of present, she was shining like a second sun.

Multiple astonished voices echoed within the café—“—Ooh!”, “It’s the saint!”, “She’s as magnificent as always!”

Before she knew it, a group of people had surrounded them. It seemed that Klavier was telling the truth. A lot of people had indeed gathered to witness the saint performing miracles.

Everyone shared a profoundly amazed look. Everyone, except for a certain youthful-looking, blond, waiter. With an uneasy expression, Vincent withdrew, as if trying to avoid the light.

Apart from that, Ame couldn’t observe anything else.

Because she was the first to flee the scene.

[]

At the sixth floor, inside one of the toilets.

As she leaned her weight upon the wall, the breathless Ame cursed Klavier under her breath.

...He said nothing about this!

But perhaps, to the crimson-haired owner of the inn, it was already considered a common knowledge. The presence of the saint could only mean one thing.

At a time where a malady called the bewitchment spell ran rampant, Reina Sue was sought off for her holy power. It was believed that the saint alone could lift and even prevent the curse from setting in.

Hence, it had become mandatory to invite the saint to give her blessing before any major events could take place. Albeit, considering Reina Sue’s personality, it was probably out of her own accord.

By ‘this entire place’, the saint does mean THIS entire place.

Regulus Inn itself was a 16-story building. It took the saint a single declaration to bless the whole building. Also, if not for the barrier that Ame had casted at the last second, that inn would surely be her final resting place.

Outside of the toilet stall, the chattering of two women could be heard.

“The saint is amazing! All the fatigue I felt from traveling is gone in an instant!”

“This inn is also wonderful. I heard that the owner arranged for the saint to bless this place at least once a week.”

“I’m most curious about her! It’s my first time to see such a grand display of magic! Where do you think she’s heading, next?”

“I’m sure it’s listed in this pamphlet. It’s called the ‘Itinerary of the Saint’, provided by the inn for a cheap price. The schedule of the saint for the entire week is listed here.”

“Wow, how handy! I want one, too!”

...What’s this? He’s turning the blessing of the saint into some kind of recreational activity?

It seemed that to Klavier, it was business as usual.

About to wipe her sweat, Ame realized that her hand was occupied.

In a hurry, she had taken the glass of apple juice along with her.

...No wonder that along the way, I feel that I have to be careful because I’m holding something.

Anyway, there was a bit left. It was unwise to discard the juice of the apples that Russel had painstakingly grown. Thus, Ame gulped the rest of the drink down.

“...It indeed is sweet.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1