Chapter 10- The Deborn is Who?!
90 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After about a half hour of carrying Lina, I could feel my muscles crying out in protest. The pain of the battle had slowly crept upon me, and now, my body was aching all over. I was sure the Deborn felt the same.

 "I think it's time we made camp."

 "Hm?" said the Deborn with a grin, "Getting tired already?"

 "Save it." I was not in the mood for any banter.

 "All right, you're the boss, boss."

We took refuge in a small grove of trees and a nearby stream. Lina was carefully laid atop a patch of moss as I prepared a fire. It was a difficult task to do with one hand, but I managed a crude fire bow with Lina's crude bandage, which had barely clung to my arm while we carried her. At least it was useful now. For his part, the Deborn gathered fallen branches, and soon the fire was blazing.

I sat by the stream, soaking my injured hand in its cool waters as the Deborn sat staring into the fire. I didn't know how he could stand the sight of it. After today, I don't think I ever want to smell smoke again.

The current was soothing as it carried away any lingering pain. If I were lucky, a fish would swim into my waiting palm. After the miracles I'd witnessed today, I would not be surprised if one did. As I sat there, the sky began to darken around us.

My stomach growled. When had I last eaten? Not since before I'd reached Pleasance, at least. I had no skill in foraging, so I couldn't tell the edible plants from the poison. Not that I'd eat them. I don't think my princely palette could handle it.

If only we could have found the food Lina had dropped earlier, but the night was too deep to search for it.

Just then, I heard a crunching sound. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the Deborn was eating something! "Don't tell me you've had food this whole time?!" I cried. I did not want to imagine where he had been keeping it as my stomach growled.

The Deborn chewed noisily, then gave a huge swallow. "It's tree bark. Want some?" He held out a stick of it.

My nose curled at the sight. "You're not seriously eating tree bark?"

"I'll admit, it's a bit of an acquired taste," he put the bark between his teeth and snapped it in half. "But it's not bad. Not bad at all." He proffered the stick again.

"I'd rather starve."

My companion shrugged, "Suit yourself." He popped the last of the bark in his mouth. "A little fiber goes a long way."

I gave him a withering stare. Was this really to be my company for the night? Lina was sensible by comparison.

As I watched the Deborn lean back, pull another patch of bark from a tree—and as I began to contemplate my life choices—my eyes caught something my mind did not. Something about this Deborn was odd.

Well, he'd always been odd, what with his tenuous grasp on reality. But whatever I was looking at made the hair on my neck stand up. Almost like I was sensing danger.

Then I realized what I had noticed as he scratched at his chin with what was supposed to be a hand ruined by frostbite. But fingers were no longer blackened, nor were there any wounds to speak of lining his bare arm.

The revelation sent me to my feet with a loud splash. The Deborn looked at me in surprise, a piece of bark stuck between his lips. "Wass wrong?" he said with another swallow.

 "You are!" I said. I walked—no, I dashed to his side and grabbed his arm with my still injured one. "Or rather, there's nothing wrong with you. At least, physically."

I examined his palm, but the pale hand showed no sign of damage. I'd never heard of a Deborn healing like this before. It was actually the opposite. The longer one was a Deborn, the more decayed its flesh became. But this one. He wasn't— "You…" I said slowly, "...aren't an ordinary Deborn, are you?"

 "Am I?" There was no surprise in his voice. Or wonder. In fact, the Deborn's tone was neutral, as were his eyes.

As I stared at him, I found myself at a loss for words. My mind was racing far too fast for speech. Was I mistaken, or was there a challenge hidden in the depths of his gaze?

I thought he had been clueless. But, as I looked at my hand that was holding his, I realized that there was more to him than I had realized. Much more.   

The burn that had begun to blister was now fading.

I marveled at yet another miracle. Or perhaps another calamity. "What are you?"

"Who do you think I am?"

The question made my breath catch. Not what I am, but who. Almost as if he knew I would know the answer. That left little to deduce.

I pulled my hand from his like it had been burned and not the opposite, but the Deborn's fingers wrapped around my wrist before I could get away.

"Answer the question, Anno."

The use of my name was jarring. Just a moment ago, this oaf was eating bark like a beaver, and now he exuded a menacing aura. "You're no Deborn, that's for sure."

The not-Deborn flashed his teeth. "That right?" He let go of my arm.

I stumbled backward and looked at it. Now would be the time my body would turn to ash as I had discovered this man's secret.  But I found no decay. Only my healed skin.

My hand closed into a fist.

Courage, Anno. Courage for Lina.

I smiled at him, "So, you decided to wait until it was just you and me to spring your little trap, did you? What is it you want, hm? Revenge?"

His lips curled into a wicked grin. He stood, imposing despite his undignified outfit. He stepped forward, his foot coming to rest inside the fire.

But I stayed where I was. "I thought you wanted to protect Lina. It seems I was mistaken." I raised my arms to defend myself.

The not-Deborn stepped forward again and raised his fists. "I could take you out here and now, then take Lady Lina for myself. If I kill her in front of him, it would be only a fraction of the vengeance he would deserve for what he did to me."

That confirmed my suspicions. This was no Deborn at all. But I had thought this man long dead. "By the grace of the goddess Iliana, I name you! Demon King!"

I could not believe that the man that stood before me was the one who had started this conflict to begin with.

The Demon King reeled back, his hands raised. "Oh, no, you figured it out! What am I gonna do!"  His smile was mocking, almost playful. "And what's worse, you've invoked the Holy Iliana! Now I'm in real trouble. Not."

He stepped forward again. My courage failed as I stepped back. My feet sank into the wet sand of the stream bank.

"Go on, Prince Anno, run away. Leave everything behind. No one would blame you for fleeing before the might of the former Demon King!"

My desire to obey was immense. He was right. No one but the false hero himself could defeat this man. How could I?

But as my gaze fell upon the sleeping Lina, my resolve solidified. "I refuse to run!"

"Is that so?" said the Demon King, "Then I guess I'll have to use my full might to eliminate you!" He drew back a fist, then launched it at me faster than I could dodge.

This was it. I closed my eyes, waiting for the impact of the blow. But it never came.

There was only a light touch on my forehead. "Boop."

I opened my eyes to see the Deborn flash me a cheesy grin.

"Gotcha."

My mouth fell open as the Deborn threw back his head and laughed hysterically. "You should've seen the look on your face, boss. Hoo! I wish I had a camera for that."

A what?

He continued to laugh as he backed up and returned to his place in front of the fire. I stood astonished, blinking rapidly as I tried to figure out what was going on. "Wait, so you're not the Demon King, then?"

"Oh no, that part's true. I am the Demon King. Or at least I was." He picked his teeth with as casual an attitude as if he'd admitted to having slept in that morning.

"What?!"

"You're a smart cookie, boss. I thought you'd figure it out sooner or later, so I thought I'd have a bit of fun before you did. And it was totally worth it!"

I tried to compose myself as I slowly sat across from him on the opposite side of the fire. "But if you are the Demon King…."

He began to nod slowly. "Yeah…?"

"Then that means…."

"Yeah?"

"That you're definitely not a Deborn!"

The Demon King almost fell backward. "That's your takeaway?! Not that I took over the world or created the Deborn?"

"Forgive me if I'm a little shocked! It's a lot to take in."

He flapped a hand. "Nah, I get you, boss. How about I explain it to you from the beginning."

"Please do. It would give me time to consolidate my understanding of this situation."

He was silent for a moment as he watched the flames dance. Then he took a deep breath and said, "I haven't lied to you, boss. Not once. I really don't know my name or any memory from before I was the Demon King. I just woke up one day, and this weird lady told me it was my job to rule over this world. She said the previous Demon King wasn't cutting it, so I was supposed to take over."

"The previous Demon King, you say. And what's this about a weird lady? Whom would that be?"

The Demon King shrugged. "Beats me. She just said I needed to sit there and haunt people's dreams on occasion. Everything else would run itself. I was just the ‘Face of Evil.'" He emphasized this title with finger quotes. "I didn't know any better, so I just did what she said. Everybody treated me like I was a big shot, so who was I to question anything?

"Then I heard rumors about a hero coming to slay me. I could see what he looked like through his dreams. The kid was so thin and weak-looking that I thought it was a joke at first, but the more I started to haunt his dreams, the more I realized that the kid was serious. And he followed through in spades, man. I'd never seen someone so powerful. Took me out in one blow."

I leaned forward. "One blow? Are you serious?"

"Hundred percent. Then I woke up weeks later in the state you met me in. No doubt that guy's gotten even more powerful."

"And that's why you stopped us from going." It was all beginning to make sense.

"Yeah. We don't stand a chance. Not even if he fought us with a single finger. He's got crazy powers, boss. Almost like he can see the world in a way he can exploit. He's faster than any human, stronger than them, too. And he's got smoking hot babes waiting on his every whim. It's like he's got a cheat code for life!"

"What's a cheat code?"

He shrugged. "No clue. It just popped into my head. But my point is, he has the power to do anything he wants."

We sat in silence for a while. And as I gazed at the former Demon King, I began to sort through everything he told me. "How long were you the Demon King?"

"Probably a few months. Three at most."

The Demon King had begun his reign during my childhood. Long before this man was supposedly involved. How much of the Demon King's torment was he responsible for?

The other man seemed to guess my thoughts as he said, "I'm not sure how much damage I've caused, but now that I'm free, I don't want to go back. I hated being some mascot of evil and treating everyone like they were dirt. I tried to be nice by actually paying them, but they were all like, ‘Oh, lord Demon King, just being useful to you is enough,' even as they were killed protecting me.'"

"Then you're serious about stopping the boy?" I was still skeptical.

The Demon King grinned at me, "You bet I am. I've got a new purpose! If Lady Lina's the reason this world still exists, then I'll protect her with all my strength. I'll make up for any wrong I've committed." He looked at his hands and curled them into fists. "I've no idea what this body can do, but I'm sure as hell gonna push it to its limits!" He looked at me with determination, "I've never had the desire to destroy the world or hurt people. If you can't trust me, trust Lady Lina. I passed her judgment, remember?"

It was true. Back when we first met him. I had feared he would turn Lina to ash at his touch, but knowing what I know now, I should have feared for his life. Yet he sat before me, alive and well.

I was silent a moment longer. "I'm not quite sure I can say I trust you yet. Although, you did risk your life for Lina. And for me. And that is something a prince of Cross cannot ignore."

"That's good enough for me. I'll be sure to earn your trust, and we'll be best buds for real." He reached a fist through the flames and let it sit in front of my face.

I stared at it in puzzlement, then grabbed his fist and shook it. "We'll start off as allies." The Demon King laughed. I didn't see the joke.

"Sure, boss. Allies it is." He opened his fist and clasped my hand.

After a moment, we let go. "So then, what do I call you? Can't go around calling you Demon King or Deborn, can we?"

The Demon King screwed up his face as he pondered. Then he shrugged. "Dunno. Haven't thought about it. And I don't really care what you call me. How about you choose a name for me."

I blinked. "Talk about putting me on the spot. I can't think of a single thing beyond Deborn."

A woman's voice spoke behind us. "I have a few ideas that might work."

We both jumped and looked at the source of the voice. Lina was sitting up, hugging her legs, chin resting atop her knees. She was smiling fondly at both of us.

"Lady Lina?" The Demon King stood. "How long have you been awake?"

"For a while now. It's good to see you again, Demon King. I have to say. You look better than you did in my dreams."

The Demon King bowed his head in shame. "Sorry. I didn't mean to deceive you."

Lina waved a hand, "It's fine. You survived my touch, as you said. That's enough for me."

"You're too kind," he said with a small bow.

After getting a taste of Lina's true power, I was almost tempted to bow alongside him, but I still had my dignity as a prince. And, as of now, I still outranked her.

"You should rest, Lina."

"I've done enough resting," she said and stood. "How about I go find some ingredients and cook us something."

My growling stomach agreed with her, but my mind remembered her rabbit-acorn stew story. "Oh, no! Don't trouble yourself. We can survive one night without food. Justice is about half a day's journey. Then we can resupply."

"Fine." She sat back down. "How's Gertie?"

The Demon King and I looked at each other. He nodded to me, and I proceeded to explain what had transpired after she had passed out.

After I finished, Lina looked sad, "Oh, Gertie. She's so brave."

The Demon King chimed in, "And she said to tell you that she wouldn't lose to you next time."

Lina smiled at that, "I see. Well, good for her."

He and I glanced at each other again. The time had come to ask about the power we had witnessed. But before my lips could form the question, Lina stood again.

"I don't know about you, but I sure am thirsty! Is that water I hear? And I think I need a good face wash." Her voice was louder and cheerier than usual.

She walked past us. Our eyes tracked her as she knelt by the stream and began to scoop water in her hands, drinking it silently.

"Lady Lina…" The Demon King looked nervous.

I felt anxiety as well. It felt as though we were treading dangerous territory. I moistened my lips with a flick of my tongue. "Er…Lina."

"Hm?"

"You know we have to ask."

I could see the stiffness in her shoulders. "Do I have to answer?"

"I—Well, no. I won't make you. But it would be nice if—"

"Then, if it's all the same, I'd prefer not to." She looked back at me with a rather serious look in her red eyes. "I'd like to remain just Lina for a while longer."

I had been right. Just like the Deborn, she, too, was much more than she appeared. Unlike the Deborn, I had no qualms about acquiescing. She had more than earned my trust.

"Very well, Just Lina. May we have the honor of escorting you to Grenna?"

She tilted her head, eyes darting between me and the Demon King. "You mean, you still want to go? Even with darling looking for me?"

The Demon King smiled, "Someone has to stop him. Why not us?" He paused as he looked between her and me. "Sure, we're no match now, but Grenna's a month away. We're gonna train every day, and by the time we get there, we're gonna be buff like nothing else. Right, boss?"

"Buff? I'd prefer a hot bath and a clean change of clothes, for starters." I swear I'd never get the stink of Pleasance off of me. 

"All in good time," he said, then turned to Lina. "But more importantly, did I hear you say that you have a few ideas for a name?"

Lina nodded. "I've been thinking about it since you mentioned not having one earlier."

The Demon King brightened at that, "Great! Lay ‘em on me!"

She pressed a finger to her lips in that Lina-like way that I'd become so familiar with in such a short time. "How about Lyle?"

The Demon King nodded, "Hey, I like it!" Then he shook his head, "Actually, no, I don't. Too plain!"

"Hans?"

"Nope."

"Hagen?"

"Uh-uh."

As the two fired back and forth, I found my eyes growing heavy. It seemed as though my exhaustion from such an eventful day had finally caught up to me. I lay back, listening to their conversation, and rested my head on my hands. The world began to grow dark around me until Lina's voice brought me back to the world of waking.

"How about Anno II?"

I sat bolt upright and looked at her with disdain, "Are you serious? Don't name him after me!"

Lina smiled at me, "Oh, don't be such a grump. Wouldn't it be nice to have another little Anno running around?" 

"Little? He's taller than me! Why are you acting like he's my son?"

"I am only three months old, technically."

I shot him a look, then returned a scowl to Lina, "Your name choices are terrible."

She folded her arms and stuck her tongue at me like she was a child. "Fine, why don't you name him?"

"Very well, I will!" I scratched at my head to try and wake my brain up. After a moment of mental strain, a name popped into my head, "Dietrich."

"Dietrich?" they said together. They looked at each other and smiled.

"Not bad, boss. Not bad at all!" he said, leaning forward to slap me on the shoulder. "I knew you'd come through."

"I have to admit," said Lina, "It suits him quite well."

"Thank you!" I flashed them a smug grin as I leaned back and lay on the ground once more. "Your prince has spoken. From now on, you shall be known as Dietrich. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to sleep. We need to set off as early as possible, so I can finally regain my dignity."

"I can promise you, boss," said Dietrich as I heard him lay back as well, "that won't be happening anytime soon."

I winced internally. Knowing him and Lina, Dietrich was probably correct.

And thus began my adventure to stop a corrupted hero with a strange woman and a man who was once the Demon King.

A rather odd group, if you ask me.

3