Chapter 12- The Sheriff of Justice, Ulrich Sauer
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The iron bar door slammed shut behind Dietrich and me. We were in one cell and—judging by the sound of another cell door clanging shut—Lina was in the one beside us. The jail itself was small and dark, with two more empty cells within.  

I could do nothing but stand there, mouth agape, as I absorbed what had just happened. I was in prison. I was in prison! This was unheard of! What kind of backwater city jailed their own prince?!

Without further hesitation, I rounded on Dietrich and snatched at his loincloth.

Dietrich avoided my grab, hands raised. "Woah there, boss! I know this is prison and all, but we don't have to go that far. We only just got here."

"What?" I had no idea what he was talking about, "Give me back my shirt. I need my family crest."

"Oh, right! Sure." Off came the shirt, which I snatched and carefully examined, trying to ignore the cloth's warmth. To my relief, I found it completely intact.

I pressed myself to the bars and yelled at the top of my voice. "Here is your proof that I am a Prince of Cross! Come look!"

But no one came.

Still, I persisted, "I have proof! My insignia is in my hands! Here!" Again, there was no one. I let my arm fall to my side. There was no escape. Not from this cell or from the sinking feeling that even if they did come to see, I'd be accused of thievery.

I wordlessly walked deeper into the windowless cell and sat on one of two wooden benches. These were the only pieces of furniture aside from a bucket in a corner that served as a toilet. It was not difficult to guess that these were to be our beds.

I buried my face into my hands, or rather, I buried my face into the filthy shirt that had served as a man's underpants for nearly a day. In disgust, I flung the vile thing back at Dietrich, who caught it graciously. Then I returned my face to the refuge that was my palms.

I sat in the darkness of my hands for who knows how long, taking in the sounds and smells of my new home. The cell was moist and cramped. Even without my sight, I could feel its oppressiveness. I could smell the mildew growing in the shadowy corners; hear the constant, echoing drips of water that seemed to fill my eardrums.

Far from getting a bath and new clothes, we were now in Hell. Cold, damp, Hell.

What did I do to deserve this?

My bench bed creaked as I felt a weight press the wood down beside me and a warm hand pat my back.

"Aw, everything's gonna be okay, boss. Look on the bright side. At least we're in the city. And we have each other."

I released myself from my dark sanctuary to raise my head and look at Dietrich and his big, stupid grin. If looks could kill, my expression would have burned down Pleasance all its own.

"I would rather be hanged by my thumbs for thirty-two years straight than be in a cell with you!"

Dietrich blinked, "Why thirty-two years?"

"Why does it matter?! The point is, we're in prison because you thought it would be oh-so-clever to assault two guards. And what's worse, you thought you'd tell a bald-faced lie and get away with it?"

"Hey, I didn't know there were witnesses!"

I threw up my hands exasperatedly, "Witnesses? So?! You attacked innocent people!"

A woman's voice echoed from our right. "They deserved what they got for calling me ugly to my face!"

I stood and walked back to the cell door, "Don't you start, Lina. You know full well they didn't."

"Not pretty. Ugly. What's the difference? Just wait until I get my hands on them. Then they'll really know the meaning of Justice."

Children. I'm surrounded by children. And there was me thinking that Lina was some beacon of righteousness, but here she was, grumbling over a petty insult. I was tempted to bash my forehead into the bars until I knocked myself out. At least then, I'd find peace.

"We were supposed to save the world. But here we are, locked away in some dank hole, squabbling about nonsense!"

I wish I had stayed asleep this morning. Or maybe I still was asleep, and this was all some hunger-induced nightmare. If only…

Dietrich joined me at the bars, surprising me with a goofy grin. "But that's where you're wrong, boss. We are saving the world."

"What are you talking about?"

His grin widened. "Don't you remember what Gertrude said? As long as Lina is missing, Mr. Psycho Darling won't end the world. And what's safer than a random prison?"

Lina's voice was brighter as she said, "He's got a point, Anno."

"No, he doesn't! Who cares if she's hidden if we're going to rot in this place."

"Enough! Would you three clam up?! I've got enough problems without ya disturbin' the peace!" Another voice, this one gruff, cut through our bickering. The three of us obeyed without thinking.

I glanced at Dietrich, who mirrored my confusion. Then I squinted, trying to discern the speaker within the darkness. It was difficult to see anything, but I thought I saw something stir within the cell across from us. One I had thought was empty.

"And, who, good sir, may you be?"

The shadowy shape grunted. "Wouldn't ya like to know, Mr. Prince."

How rude. A fellow low-life with a chip on his shoulder. Then I gave a start. "Hold on; you believe that I'm a prince?" Oh, bless this man and his unpleasant attitude!

Another grunt. "How could I not? I'd know yer kind anywhere. All high and mighty like that. Then ya go around flashin' that insignia. That only confirmed my suspicion."

I did not know whether to take the man's words as a compliment or an insult. Whether it was or not, I decided to keep the peace. "Well, I thank you, stranger. If only some people had the sense you did."

The other man chuckled, "Can't say I disagree."

"What're you in for, my guy?" asked Dietrich.

"For havin' sense."

I did not respond in hopes of elaboration. My companions were silent as well. But the man said nothing.

Lina was the first to speak, "Did you say something to offend the authorities?"

"Ma'am, for the last thirteen or so years, I was the authorities." The shape began to move with a rather odd sound that echoed in the darkness. What I thought was its head—though it might not be as it seemed rather large and long—seemed to shake.

Was this man a giant? Yet he wasn't as tall as a giant. He was barely taller than I—or so I could discern. But his head was so large. Perhaps he was a giant, only sitting. I could not tell any further details about him as he remained sheathed in shadow. But he claimed to be an authority. Maybe he was also innocent. It might explain the cold attitude of the guards.

Our mysterious jailmate seemed to toss his head and seemed to read my mind as he said, "I'm guessin' y’all three were falsely imprisoned, then?"

"Absolutely!" said I, "Well, at least I was. This buffoon, on the other hand, decided it was apt to attack the guards at the front gate." I jabbed a thumb in Dietrich's direction.

Dietrich nodded and raised a hand, "Guilty as charged."

"And I'm innocent, too!" added Lina, then she muttered, "But I might not be soon. Give me a day, and I'll show them the real meaning of ugly..."

I could not be sure if she meant for us to hear that or not.

But I found myself immediately distracted as the mysterious man made yet another strange noise. At first, I was utterly baffled by it, as it sounded high and reedy, most unlike the man's deep, rough drawl. Then I realized that it was the man's laugh. Although, it sounded nothing like one.

"Y’all three! Are the biggest morons I've ever seen!"

I scoffed at that, "I beg your pardon? I am an innocent man on a quest to save this world!"

"I'm sure ya are, Mr. Prince! But who in their right mind gets captured at the front gate? It's so lu-u-u-dicrous, that it's beyond funny!"

The way he rolled the "U" in ludicrous had me staring at the shadow across from me. Who in the world was this man? Or what was he? I looked to Dietrich for help, but he, too, seemed confused.

The man sighed and seemed to compose himself, "I like y’all. It's been so boring ‘round here. I thought I'd die. The name's Ulrich. Used to be the sheriff ‘round here until I was overthrown by my former deputy, Jurgen. Thought I was unfit to lead or somethin’. The nerve. It's like he was lookin' for an excuse.

"I've heard that everythin's gone downhill ever since. Jurgen's made it his mission to arrest people willy-nilly for the pettiest things. Says he wants to keep order. But I know better. He wants to keep everyone in line, ‘specially the guards he sees as most loyal to me."

"Then why are we the only ones here?" asked Lina.

Ulrich did not answer. I realized the meaning of his silence. Lina gasped.

"Why would he do this?!" I asked. And more importantly, why has Father not done anything about it? Or Claude, for that matter. "How long have these atrocities been going on?"

"Only a couple of months. Ever since that kid traveled through here and stirred up a lot of trouble. Jurgen took advantage of the chaos and staged a coup."

I knew of whom Ulrich was referring to." "Lina, did you know anything about this?"

"No! This was before I joined."

"It wasn't anythin’ too crazy," said Ulrich, "It was more of an accident. I didn't think much of it when I let the kid and that girl he was with go. But Jurgen saw things a bit differently. Said we should avoid lettin’ travelers through Justice."

Silva. What did that boy make her do? "But doesn't Justice's whole economy depend on travelers taking jobs from guilds?" I asked.

"Right on the money, Mr. Prince." There was a hollow clop that may have been Ulrich stamping a foot, or maybe an empty cup, in frustration. "That man is runnin' the guilds ragged! Without travelers to take jobs, they have to work twice as hard to make ends meet. They can't sell their wares, and the costs of trade are through the roof. The people of Justice don't need monster parts or potions."

Dietrich grunted, "So, that's why the guards wouldn't let the people of Pleasance in." For the first time since I'd met him, Dietrich wore a scowl. His pale eyes were hard.

I shared his sentiments.   

"Yup." Ulrich stamped again. "And what's more, the people he doesn't outright execute, he delivers to Ald Alira."

"The Capital Kingdom?" I could not fathom what High King Benedict would want with the citizens of Justice.

To my surprise, Lina gasped, which sounded more like a cry.

"Something you wish to share with us, Lina?" I desperately wanted to see her face and study her expression.

"No! I-it's just so awful that he would do something like that." There was a pause. "Are you sure, Sir Ulrich?"

"Yup," he said again, "I've gotta reliable source that keeps me up to date on Jurgen's schemes."

Lina gave a sigh of worry. "Oh, no…"

My mind was racing at her behavior. There were twelve kingdoms that made up our continent. Some large, some small. But there was also a thirteenth, the one that kept the peace between the others: Ald Alira, the High Kingdom, and home of the Church of Iliana.

As the home of the Church, Ald Alira was placed above all. It was a holy place. And though its dominion only extended to its city walls, all respected and adhered to its wisdom.

If Lina's reaction was any indication, she would have some idea of Benedict's intentions. I was about to speak in an attempt to coax a better answer from her, but just then, another voice called out.

"Sheriff Ulrich!"

Loud metallic footsteps approached, and in a hurry, too. It was a guard clad in armor. And a young one at that, fourteen at most.

Ulrich's shadow turned toward the boy. "Herman! There ya are." He seemed to detect my confusion at the sight of the youth as he said, "Jurgen's been recruitin' younger and younger to keep the guards' numbers up. This one just so happens to be the son of my most loyal. Speak, boy. Is there something urgent?"

The boy had been running for a while. He took a moment to catch his breath, hands on knees, before he looked into Ulrich's cell. "There's a stranger in town. A woman."

"That right? She been arrested yet?"

Herman shook his head, "No, sir. Just the opposite. She's by Jurgen's side as we speak."

Ulrich's snort of shock caught us all off guard. "She's what? Who is this woman?"

"I don't know, sir. I didn't get a good look at her. But I heard her."

"Heard her? Explain yerself."

"I think she's a bard, sir. She had an instrument with her. It sounded familiar…a flute, I think."

There was a rattling from the cage next door, which caught the attention of Herman. "Did you say a flute?!" There was urgency in Lina's voice and a hint of the commanding authority she'd used on Gertrude. "Tell me! Was it a flute?"

Herman looked startled. I tried to picture the type of expression on Lina's face that would make the boy stare at her like that.

"I-I don't know, ma'am. I didn't get a chance to see it. She was being escorted by the guards. Almost completely surrounded."

"But you said it was a flute. How did you know?"

"I just thought I recognized the sound, that's all." His young face was growing ever fearful. As was Lina's voice.

"What color was it?!"

"I-I don't—"

It was my turn to intervene. The boy looked about to cry, "What is this about, Lina? Is it what I think it is?" Or, rather, who.

Lina ignored me, "What color?! Tell me now, boy!"

"White, I think…Or was it brown?"

Lina let out a shuddering sigh. "No! It can't be…not this quickly." There was a moment when all looked toward Lina's cell. Then the rattling of her bars became louder, more violent. "You have to let us out! This town is in danger!"

I knew it—another one of the False Hero's entourage. And by the desperation in Lina's voice, this one was worse than Gertrude. My thoughts echoed Lina's. How did they find us this quickly? It had been less than a day since Gertrude had gone to speak to him. What had happened to her? What had she done?

I should have known she would sell us out.

Ulrich's shadow tossed its head. "Danger, ya say? Are ya sure?"

"Yes! If it's the woman I know, then everyone will die!"

Ulrich was silent for a moment, then he said, "Listen to her, Herman!"

Herman looked at his Sheriff, "You believe this prisoner, sir?"

"I do. Just look at her, boy. That’s true fear."

Herman began to shake his head, "But, sir…."

If he would not listen to Ulrich, then he would listen to me. With all the dignity I could muster, I said, "By orders of the Prince of Cross, let us out!" I, too, joined in the din as I began to rattle our cell door. "I command you as your prince!"

"I-I can't," squeaked Herman.

"Yes, you can!" said I, "We can deal with the consequences later. Right now, the town is in peril."

The boy shook his head, "No, I mean, I-I don't have the keys. I'm only a rookie, after all."

"Then move over, boss." Dietrich placed a hand on my shoulder and began to push me away. "It's my time to shine!"

I obeyed, momentarily confused. That was until Dietrich took hold of the bars of the door and pulled with all his might. With a screech, the door broke free of its hinges, which made Herman fall to the ground, arm raised to protect his face.

"A-a Deborn! How long has he—"

"Hush, boy!" said Ulrich as Dietrich tossed the door aside. "Hurry, get us out, too!"

I followed behind Dietrich as he moved to Lina's cell. I looked at the doorway that had previously held us captive. "You mean, you could have ripped that door off this entire time?"

Dietrich looked back at me and winked. "Well, I didn't know for sure. But I thought it best to try and not cause any more trouble." Then he yanked at Lina's door and pulled it out with little effort.

I sputtered as I tried to think of a response to that. I threw up my hands and accepted his nonsense. We were out now. That was the important part.

My eyes found Lina, her face lined with worry as her irises cast about as if searching for aid. Well, I was right here. I would not allow another one of his poor, possessed women to raze another town. I had longed to see her expression. But the one I was now seeing only served to fill my being with the desire to never see woe on her face again.

Her eyes met mine, wide with fear. I wanted to meet her gaze with one of confident reassurance, yet I found myself looking away with a slight clearing of my throat. My eyes fell upon the boy, who was doing his best to get to his feet while keeping his eyes on Dietrich. Then I did a double take.

Strapped to the boy's hip was a sword. I could tell at a glance that it was of low quality, but it was better than nothing.

"Your sword, boy. Give it to me!"

"Huh?" Herman's hand jerked to the hilt. Not to obey but in defense. "My sword? No! I can't."

"Do as he says, Herman. Or would you disobey your prince?" said Ulrich as Dietrich worked on opening his door; when Herman glanced back at the Sheriff and saw the former Demon King, he jumped in fear.

"Ack! I… uh…this prisoner? My prince? But boss, he was—"

I stood straight and pressed a fist to my breast. "I am Prince Anno Wolfskreuz—third Prince of Cross, son of Luther. I was wrongfully imprisoned by your fellow guards. It is my duty to protect what is my charge. Right now, that is Justice." I lowered my hand and knelt. "Herman, I failed to save Pleasance. I ask you to give me a chance to save this town. Afterward, I will accept whatever consequence as you see fit."

Herman hesitated, then reached for the belt and began to unbuckle it. "If you are who you say you are…."

"I am," I said, "I know I don't look it. But it has been a strenuous journey. My companions here are in a bad state."

"Speak for yourself," said Dietrich, who stood, arms folded, and a goofy grin plastered on his face.

"Yes, well, most of us are in a bad state. Mostly me." I gave Herman a reassuring smile as he became anxious at the sight of Dietrich. "Do not worry. He is with me."

After a few more glances between Dietrich and me, Herman pulled off his belt, scabbard and all, and held it out for me to take.

I did not make a grab for it but instead, let the boy lay the blade into my hands. It was only when the boy fully let go, did I firmly grasp it and stood. "Thank you, my boy. I promise you will not regret your decision." I wrapped the belt across my waist and buckled it tight. The sword at my hip felt well-placed and balanced.

I looked at the other two, "Now, let us see what we can do."

"Not without me, ya won't." Ulrich's gruff voice was preceded by the distinct clip-clop of hooves. A dark shape appeared at my side. In wonderment, I turned my head to look at our new companion, only to be met with the long face of a midnight black horse, who snorted in my face. I blinked as the stallion's breath blew over me.

My first thought at seeing the beast was, why was Ulrich imprisoned with his steed? But at my looking for a rider only to find the horse's back bare, my bewilderment became tenfold. I returned my gaze to Lina, who looked similarly flabbergasted. Dietrich, though, did not seem perturbed at this new revelation.

Then Ulrich's voice sounded again, "Gape at me all ya want, Mr. Prince. Nothin's gonna change. Whatcha see is whatcha get."

If I didn't know any better—and apparently, I did not—I thought I saw the beast's mouth move when the Sheriff spoke. He tossed his head with a snort and flicked his tail.

Herman appeared in my field of vision, his face trying its best to contain mirth.

"I suppose a proper introduction is in order?" He glanced at the horse, who stamped a hoof, ears pinned in irritation.

"If ya hafta," it said, "But make it quick. My intuition tells me we're in one big mess."

"Prince Anno, Milady, and… Deborn. May I introduce Ulrich Sauer, Sheriff of Justice."

The horse that was apparently Ulrich snorted, "Good. Now let's get outta here. Can't waste any more time."

Before I had time to compose myself, Ulrich clip-clopped away. I seemed to come out of my reverie as I watched the Sheriff's flank vanish into the shadow of the prison with Dietrich and Herman in tow.

Lina stood beside me with a similar dumbfounded expression.

"Come, Lina! Or we'll fall behind."

"Anno…That was a horse…and it was talking…wasn't it? I'm not going crazy?"

"No, Lina, you're no more crazy than usual." I felt the same way as she, like madness had overtaken me. I still could not accept the reality of what I saw, but we had more pressing matters to attend to. I grabbed her hand and began to pull her in the direction of the others.

As we broke into a jog, Lina seemed to break out of her trance as I heard her break into a bout of giggles. I glanced behind her to see that her face was practically beaming! "A horse that talks…that's amazing!" Her giggles broke out into fits of childish delight as she slipped her hand from mine, lifted her skirts, and began to sprint at full speed with a cry of, "Wait, Sir Ulrich! Wait for me!"

She blazed past me, despite my odd disappointment of no longer having her hand in mine. I couldn't help but grin to see her with a much more fitting look on her face.

I chased after her, almost feeling like laughing myself. What a strange world we lived in.

2