Chapter 18- Siren’s Song
35 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The streets were quiet once more as I walked together with Red Beard. Lina’s unconscious body was warm even through her thick tunic. Her sharp and shallow breaths were accompanied by an unpleasant rattle as blood was undoubtedly filling her lungs.

Time was short and my mind raced as to what to do next. Lina may now be in my arms, but she was nowhere near safe. Even if she wasn’t dying, we were out in the open, exposed to any potential assassin.

I debated if I should return Lina to Red Beard’s arms as I did not believe that he would fight by my side if we were attacked. My hope, though, was that any of Heide’s slaves would prioritize her life over mine and let me continue to the center of town. 

While I was willing to keep my word and escort Lina to Heide, I wouldn’t object to a bit of convenient rescue. Dietrich and Ulrich were long overdue for a reappearance. Unless they were dealing with problems of their own. 

I glanced at Red Beard, whose eyes were focused ahead of us.

“I don’t suppose you could enlighten me about your Lady Heide, could you?”

Red Beard did not answer, he barely acknowledged me. 

“Oh, I see. She must be quite the interesting woman seeing as you have so much to say about her.” 

Again, no answer. 

“I imagine that you have no idea who this Heide is or who she works for, do you?” I expected the silence, so I continued our one-sided conversation without missing a beat. “To think that she would go this far for just one woman. Enslaving an entire town, just to find her. You’d think Lina was important to her master. I wonder what would happen if—Oh, no, Lina!” 

My anguished cry made Red Beard whirl around to stare in concern. 

I managed a grin, despite my weariness. “Aha! I made you look. She’s all right, I promise.” 

Red Beard did not crack a relieved smile or look angry as his eyes surveyed Lina. He did not show any emotions at all as he faced forward and continued on.

What a strange spell he was under. He, Herman, and the many guards I had encountered had been quite emotive before obtaining Lina, but now, he might as well be a walking statue. But the man had shown a flash of emotion when he thought she was in danger, but it was gone now. 

The buildings were noticeably different from the backstreets. All were made from gray brick, for one. They were older and taller with some exceeding four stories. It was harder to see the rooftops from here but I did my best to survey them for the boy. They were empty as far as I could see. Not that I fear the boy or his crossbow, my greatest worry was only that he would continue to delay us. 

Speaking of which. Two guards were standing in the middle of the street as we turned a corner. At the sight of me, they began to draw their swords. But to my relief, Red Beard stepped between us. 

“We are taking the woman Lina to Lady Heide. This man is my prisoner and will not fight back.”

Well, I wouldn’t exactly call myself his prisoner, it was more the other way round. But I was not about to argue.

The guards’ faces slackened and returned their swords to their hilt without question. “Come.” Was all they said before falling into step beside Red Beard. 

Their stiff walking was almost synchronized, from their clanking footsteps to the way they barely swung their arms. If I could see all three of their faces at once, I would bet my new shirt that even their blinking was simultaneous. 

It was honestly rather spine-tingling to see such unnatural movement. It was closer to a marionette guiding a puppet to walk more than anything. 

What must be going on in their minds right now? Were they asleep as some otherworldly force piloted their bodies, or were they trapped within, aware of what they were doing and unable to control their actions?

Or were their natural thoughts being influenced by Heide to obey her every whim beyond their awareness or control?

I didn’t know which one was worse. Anger bubbled up within me at these thoughts. These men were my subjects. And even if they weren’t, what this Heide had done to these people was beyond cruel. It was evil. 

My thoughts were interrupted as, somewhere in the distance, I heard a rather odd noise. A high screech which made all of us, including the guards look around in confusion. The eyebrows of the other men were furrowed as they began to blink rapidly. That was the first sign of a human expression on those two I’d seen. As for Red Beard, he raised his hands over his ears with a rather pained look. I stared and tried my best to locate the screeching, but the sound abruptly stopped before I could try. And with it went the guards' emotions. 

It was as if the last few seconds had never happened. The men were wooden once more as their heads snapped forward before continuing their march toward their mistress. 

I stared as I followed behind. What could have made such a horrible noise that could even distract the enchanted guards?

But before I could ponder any further, my ears caught another sound. This one was far less grating; a distinctly low, melodious—soft as a breeze—as it danced through the streets toward us. The men in front of me stopped and perked up at the noise. I could see the side of one of the guard’s faces, a content smile plastered on his slack face. I had to admit that the sound was quite pleasant to the ears. I would even call it beautiful.

Despite its beauty, my blood ran cold. I had not expected this cursed music to reach this far.  

The other two guards no doubt had the same content expressions as their companion. I did not care to find this out as I tried to turn and run from hypnotizing music. But it was too late. My legs were sluggish and refused to move. A numbing warmth was spreading from my ears to the rest of my body as the song continued to fill my senses. 

It was not just my hearing, but my sight as well was consumed by the melody. It was as if I could see the waves of sound shimmer in the air before me. The waves flooded the street bouncing off the shops and homes to reach me, drawing me in, and caressing my entire being. 

As the waves washed past, I could feel words enter my ears as hushed as a whisper. I swore I could even feel the warmth of the whisper’s breath tickle my ear.

Bring Lina to me.

Every fiber of my being wanted to listen to that quiet, soothing voice within that song. Yet despite my exhaustion, my mind was in protest as the cocoon of music slowly wrapped itself around my body. I was cursing myself for my stupidity; for not realizing that I would be no more immune to the bard’s influence than any other man. I had no power to speak of, no resistance to magic. All I had was my wits and swordplay. One could not stab a song with a blade. 

Even as my body numbed, I was aware of the tight hold my arms had on Lina. Whether it was the voice’s influence or my willpower keeping Lina from falling, I did not know. At the very least, Lina was safe in my arms. That was some small comfort. 

I failed. It was up to Dietrich and Ulrich. Even with my incredible sword skills, I could not save Lina. Some prince I was. Some friend. 

I am waiting for you, said the whisper, Come to me. 

My feet were pulled forward as if by an invisible string, right into step with the guards. I was completely under Heide’s spell. Exhaustion still wracked my body, but my muscles pushed themselves past their weariness, which caused them to burn with overexertion. My face could not even contort in pain, nor could my teeth clench. 

I was about to deliver Lina to Heide and there was nothing I could do about it. Goddess Iliana! Grant me one last miracle, that’s all I need. Help me save Lina!

I felt movement in my arms. My eyes were compelled downward to see Lina’s eyelids fluttering. Her body stirred as she turned her head slightly as a sliver of her eye became visible. 

My heart nearly stopped at the sight of her red iris. What little of it that I could see was dull and unfocused as it rolled about. 

I wanted to tell her that I was here. That she was safe with me, but even if I could speak I did not think I could lie to her. 

Lina’s blurry gaze settled on me. Her mouth twitched into a ghost of a smile, lips forming words I could not hear. Then her eyes closed and she was limp once more.

It was not only me who stared down at Lina. The other three guards watched her as if their lives would end if they looked away. 

“Check to see if she’s alive.” To hear my own voice come out of my mouth without my mind thinking the words was, I would say, one of the worst sensations I had ever experienced in my life; as if someone had reached into my throat and ripped those words out of me. 

Red Beard obeyed, once again putting bare fingers to her neck. A moment later, he said, “She is still alive. Her pulse is steady.”

“Good,” my voice said. While I agreed with it, my thoughts did not line up with my voice. How could her pulse be stronger? Her breathing sounded worse than ever, and yet her heart was strong. Was this the miracle I asked for?

My feet moved forward once more. The waves of Heide’s song were getting stronger as its volume increased. From here, I could see the distinct shape of people pressing together at the end of the street ahead of me. They were packed shoulder to shoulder, their backs to us spreading from one side of the street to the other. And, as I got closer, I could tell that not a single part of them moved. With how tightly they were packed, the entire town must be in the square. Yet there was not a single sound other than the flute which was now consuming the area with its beauty. 

None reacted to our approach.

That was until we got within ten feet of the crowd when they parted in the middle like a pair of sliding doors opening. Not one of them had looked at us. They could not have seen that we were here. But a gap appeared wide enough for all of us to enter.

In the distance, I could see the crowd still parting as if a knife was splitting them in half. My mind screamed in protest as I began to enter the gap. I could see the last two people separated to reveal a figure standing in the center.

My blood ran cold. The woman was about twenty yards away from us, but even without ever having met her, I knew exactly who she was. 

Heide had found us at last. I had fallen right into her hands.

3