Chapter 20- A Mysterious Mark
36 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Where have you been?” I asked moving closer to speak with my companions. “And how did you manage to sneak up on us?” I was addressing Ulrich specifically. 

He flashed me his teeth. “I can be stealthy when I want to be.”

I could make heads nor tails of how stealth was possible with Ulrich’s hooves but Dietrich interrupted my thoughts. “You’re hurt!” His hand lifted and tried to touch my face, but I shook my head.

“It’s just a scratch, Lina needs your attention more than I do.

I stepped aside with a mournful look at Lina in her sorry state.  

Without a word, Dietrich threw off his hood and crouched to his knees. 

There were gasps and screams from the civilians at the sight of his cracked face.

Albert pulled out his sword and pointed it at them. 

I stepped between, “It’s all right, Albert. The Deborn is with me! He’s perfectly harmless.” I glanced at Dietrich, who returned my gaze.

“What happened to her?” his voice was overflowing with worry. 

“We were ambushed by Heide’s possessed guards. She’s been shot. Save her!” Dietrich nodded.

“I’ll do my best!” he said, before his attention went back to Lina. 

My chest lightened at the realization that Lina would be healed at last! 

I praised Iliana before I returned my attention to Albert, who to my surprise, still pointed his sword at us. 

“I already told you, Sir Albert, the Deborn is my traveling companion. I’d trust him with my life.”

“And what about the other one? Identify yourself, stranger!” My subjects were cowering behind him. 
“Other one?”

I stared at Albert, not comprehending what he had said. I looked back at the other two in bewilderment. I expected a third person to have entered the alley. But there was only Ulrich. 

“Surely, you do not mean him?” I dreaded Albert’s answer as I dared to look at him and ask, “Do you not know who that is? You do not…recognize the horse?”

“No, how could I?”

“How could–? I beg your pardon?” I looked between Albert and Ulrich several times. The horse flashed his teeth at me more than once. 

This conversation could not be real. Here I was in the middle of a rioting city, with a horse for a sheriff, on the brink of being reenslaved by a psychotic woman after being imprisoned and attacked by the guards, and this was the most baffling thing that had happened today? 

Words could not contain my overwhelming desire to just walk away from this whole farce, but I took a deep breath and kept my composure. 

“This is your sheriff, Ulrich,” I said slowly, waving in the horse’s direction.

The mouths of Albert and the citizens fell open. The guard stood at attention and saluted, “S-Sheriff Ulrich, sir! Forgive me! I did not recognize you with such a brilliant disguise!”

Brilliant, my foot! I was glad my declaration to eat my boots had only been in my head. Otherwise, I might be dining on mud-crusted leather right now. 

“It’s all right, Al,” said Ulrich, clopping forward. As the horse passed me I heard a slight wicker. 

I chose to ignore this and listened as Ulrich spoke to his citizens.

“In any case, I have had the opportunity to assess the state of my city in my absence. Not only has Jurgen run Justice into the ground, he has allowed this Heide to seize control of its people. I will not sit idly by and let them destroy the lives y’all have built here.” His tail swished fiercely, nearly smacking me in the face. I managed to avoid it in time. 

“I have been workin’,” continued Ulrich, “With this here prince to take back what has been stolen from us. I believe in his strength. But I do not ask you to put your faith in him, I ask you to put your faith in me when I say that the prince is as good as his word.” The people were silent as they watched their sheriff with confident smiles. Even I had to admit, I could feel my heart swell at his words. “And if he should fall short, I will be there to make up the difference, like I did at the square.”

I gave a start, “Then, that noise that broke our bondage?”

“Yep, that was me ‘n Deitrich,” said Ulrich with a glance back at me, “Judgin’ by the state of that woman, y’all ran into some trouble. Well, so did we. But we discovered that the woman’s spell can be disrupted by loud, high-pitched sounds.”

“Quite impressive, Sheriff Ulrich. How did you ever discover such a weakness?”

The sheriff paused for too long before answering, “Intuition.”

It was Dietrich who replied to that, “More like he saw a mouse run across the street which made him scream like a little girl.” 

Ulrich blustered at that with several snorts. Some of the citizens snickered at that, but I did not as I saw the serious look on Dietrich’s face. I leaned over him and whispered, “How is she? Have you finished?”

Dietrich shook his head, his face was stricken. My heart sank. “What’s wrong? I thought you could heal with just a touch.” Lina was lying on her stomach, her face turned to the side and much paler than usual.

“I can. I managed to pull this out and got the bleeding to stop without much trouble,” he held up the red-stained bolt, “But she barely reacted at all when I did. And she’s still having trouble breathing.The wound might be too deep.” He leaned in closer. “I think I could heal her better if I were touching her skin directly.”

My cheeks grew slightly warm at that, “I see. Let’s not do it here, then. Keep her stable, all right.” I looked at Sheriff Ulrich, “We have a problem.” I waved him over and relayed our situation in a hurried tone as Dietrich crouched once more and placed his hands on

Ulrich bobbed his head in something resembling a nod. “Let’s get indoors as soon as we can.” He looked back to his subordinate. “Albert, take these people to the north gate. If you so much as think that you hear that woman’s song, leave.”

“And what about you, sir?” asked Albert with a salute, “Wouldn’t I be of more help at your side?”

Ulrich snorted, “Our top priority is to rescue the citizens who have been freed. If you run into any guards, tell them to search the streets for any stray escapees. Me and the other two will be more than enough for that Siren girl.”

Albert renewed his salute, “Yessir!” Then the man looked at me. “Prince Anno, I wish you luck.” He ran his fingers through his beard contemplatively. “Do you really think this is unsightly?”

I chuckled, “I think it suits you just fine.” We clasped hands, “Maybe it could do with a bit of a trim, looks like there’s a chunk missing. Wonder who could have done that?”

He smiled at that, “Who indeed, sir.”

Albert was about to turn away when I stopped him, “One last thing Albert.” I pulled my blade out. The man gave me a concerned look, which intensified as I leaned forward and clasped the hilt of his sword.

“Prince Anno, what’re you–”

“One moment,” said I as I held both blades in front of my eyes. “Not bad, not bad at all.”  I scrutinized the edges of both before I handed him the sword that had been in my scabbard. 

“Your blade is in much better condition than mine. I’m going to need to borrow it, Albert,” I paused as I contemplated, “Well, I say borrow, but I mean steal, I suppose. I doubt you’ll ever see this blade again, so if it has any sentimental value–” I let my words hang with a pointed look to Albert, who shook his head.

“No, sir. Whatever my prince needs, he shall have.”

I liked the sound of that. “Good man!” I gave him another clap on the shoulder. “Now go! I’m counting on you to save my people.” 

In response, Albert sheathed his new sword and addressed the others, “You heard him. Everyone, follow me!”

The people of Justice went in silence, though some gave me dirty looks. I smiled back and watched as they turned a corner and disappeared from sight.  

“Let’s get Lina somewhere safe.” I heard Dietrich’s ascent as I continued to stare at the spot where Albert and the others had disappeared. His true nature had surprised me, but it was one I welcomed. If only the rest of my subjects could be as respectful as he.

Ulrich seemed to know exactly what I was thinking as he clip-clopped up to stand beside me. “He’s a good man, that Albert,” said Ulrich, “You won’t find a deputy with a better head on his shoulders.”

“I agree. I’m surprised someone like him managed to stay in Jurgen’s ranks all this time.”

Ulrich wickered a laugh, “He knows when to keep his mouth shut, that’s all. When all this mess with Jurgen ‘n Heide blows over, can’t think of a better man to take my place.”

“Oh?” I shot him a look, “Job finally wearing you down in your old age?”

“Yup,” said Ulrich without an ounce of sarcasm, “It’s time I let the next generation take over.”

Next generation? By the look of him and the age of Herman, Albert had to be in his mid-thirties. At least six years older than Ulrich. “But isn’t he–”

“Boss!” Dietrich’s sudden cry was urgent, I whirled around and dropped beside him.

My eyes took in the sight of Lina, at the stain that pooled around the wound in her shoulder blade. Dietrich’s hands were pressed over it as blood poured between his pale fingers.

“What happened?! I thought you said you stopped the bleeding?”

“I did! But then I tried to move her and it went crazy all of a sudden.”

Ulrich’s hooves alerted us to his approach. His long face came into my vision. “We don’t have time to move her! I’ll keep an eye out but get that tunic off, now!”

We obeyed without question. Dietrich rolled Lina on her side while keeping his hand firm on her wound as I undid the belt that kept the tunic in place. I did not have time to feel embarrassed, but I did feel slight relief to find her red dress beneath the dark fabric. I yanked her right arm out of her sleeve and threw it to Dietrich, who caught it and passed it under his hand before rolling her back and reapplying pressure.

I tried to ignore how cold her skin felt beneath my fingers, but its clamminess still lingered in my skin, even with the warmth of her blood. 

The blood kept coming. Lina’s face was paler than ever as a tinge of blue began to appear in her lips. 

My heart raced. There was still a layer of fabric between Dietrich’s hand and the skin of her back. 

I did the only thing I could think of and seized the material in both hands. Forgive me Lina. I thought before I tore the fabric apart enough to expose both her pale shoulders. 

The red fabric was soaked and easily slipped from beneath Dietrich’s palm. 

Dietrich began to massage his fingers into Lina’s skin, “C’mon, Lady Lina. You’ve gotta heal! Stay with us.”

I could not think of anything else I could do besides cover Lina’s icy hand with my own. I moved my thumb to press into her wrist. It took four agonizing seconds for my thumb to find her pulse. It was fainter than I would have liked, but it was there. But I was not about to celebrate.

The two of us were silent as we crouched over Lina. Ulrich stood to my left across the width of the alley, his head swaying from side to side as he watched both mouths. I could barely hear anyone breathe. The only smell was the iron of her blood. I could even taste it in the air.

Beneath my thumb, I could feel Lina’s pulse slow as mine went quickened. It was getting more difficult to differentiate the two.

After what felt like hours, Dieritch’s hands lifted from Lina’s back. His fingers brushed over the place the wound had been. “It’s done. I can’t feel any more injuries.” 

I tried to quiet my heart as I felt for her pulse with bated breath. Was it my imagination? Or was there strength in her heartbeat once more. 

I was not mistaken. Her pulse was steadying as Lina breathed deep through her nose. The color was slowly coming back into her face. 

My breath returned as I fell back and caught myself with my hands. My entire body was numb with relief. I could not help but laugh and run my bloody fingers through my hair. “Well done, Dietrich,” said I after finally regaining my composure. “You did it.”

“Gotta say, I was worried there for a second. But Lina’s tough. She survived this long, I knew she’d pull through. Thanks for keeping her safe this long, boss.” He held out his fist, which I grabbed and shook.

Ulrich bobbed his head in agreement as he walked over to us. 

I pulled my legs back under me and looked over Lina’s now-healed back. There was still so much blood. But I could still see how beautiful her skin beneath the red was. Warmth crept into my cheek at the thought.

I was being unprincely again. Lina was healed, so there was nothing more to see. I leaned forward to grab the tunic that she still half wore with the intent to lay it across her back, when something between her shoulder blades caught my eye. 

It was only partially exposed, as much of it was covered beneath the torn red cloth of her dress but it had been enough to catch my attention. 

Was it a trick of my eyes or was a patch of her skin glowing? It was difficult to see beneath the blood, but I could see a faint golden light sparking atop her skin.

My fingers approached the torn dress without thinking. 

“Boss? What’s wrong?” Dietrich’s eyebrows were knitted as he watched my hand inch forward. “Did I miss something?”

I caught myself before my hand reached the cloth. What was I thinking?! I began to pull my hand away as my eyes stared at the glowing skin. It would only take a few seconds to pull the dress away and get a clear look at what it was that decorated Lina’s back. 

But I could not allow myself to look, even as curiosity burned within me. “No. There’s nothing there.”

It seemed, however, that Dietrich had a different mindset as his eyes found where I was staring “What is that? Is she still injured?” His hands moved before I could stop him and pulled the dress further down.

I wanted to look away as more of Lina’s skin was exposed. However, the golden light drew my eyes as I realized that it was not just a patch, but a shape. A woven symbol of light sat upon the center of Lina’s back. 

s7aeTCqs1vzZ6EdUn-N1hqCtRrlpizn9hBTvzsg2PRmIPgYEqisKtDQRSwY8wyWQ3xaKBg97pYIkg21Z5W6ScdgZ-Imw_CJtDU8R2QuDfOtoQR2wXNwQQq_CsM-G3kHRuQ0qkR_cGQfuecQYw3aqjjI

My eyes drank in the marking. I had never seen anything like it. Its flowing shape and crescent moons had my mind immediately relate it to the divine. But there was no such symbol associated with Iliana or the High Kingdom as far as I knew, not even the circular crest set in the center diamond.

Perhaps I could be mistaken? Ald Alira held many secrets within its intricate bureaucracy. And High King Benedict most of all. 

It took a few moments for my mind to register what I was seeing, I was so deep in thought. But when I saw I stared at Lina’s back in astonishment. Was it my imagination, or was the amount of blood on her back reduced? Patches of Lina’s pale skin emerged amongst the red, spreading wider until they began to interconnect. Now there was more clean skin than not. 

Dietrich’s fingers pressed over the gold mark, his eyes bugging in astonishment. “It’s hot!” He said, though he kept his hands where they were. “Plus, it’s not a wound.” 

I did not think it was. Rather, it was the opposite. I marveled as the red on Dietrich’s fingers began to slide from his skin as if being sucked away. 

“Move aside, Dietrich,” I said. His hands fell away and I replaced them with mine. 

Dietrich was right, the mark on Lina’s back was hot, almost unbearably so. I watched my hands as the blood, too, fell from my skin. I could only tolerate the heat for a few seconds and wrenched my hands away. I stared at my palm, expecting some kind of burn, but they were as clean as if I had washed them. 

When I next looked at Lina’s back, it was also clean as if she had never been hurt in the first place. The mark began to fade, growing fainter and fainter until there was no trace left. But the image lingered behind my eyelids.

Every time I blinked I could see it there. I did my best to memorize every detail before it faded away for good. 

My hands found the edges of Lina’s dress and closed the gap my rip had caused. I then removed my tunic and placed it over her. “There’s nothing more to see.” I gave her back a small pat to check that all was in place before I stood. “Well then, that just leaves the matter of Heide.”

My tone was quite light and casual. 

Dietrich stood with me, “You’re not planning to face her alone, are you, Boss?”

“If I have to, I will,” said I, “Neither of you are obligated to assist me.”

Ulrich snorted at that, “If you think I’m just gonna let a couple of hooligans take my city, you’ve got another thing comin’, Mr. Prince.”

Dietrich scratched the crack in his right cheek, “I guess that leaves me to look after Lina, right? There’s no way we can let her anywhere near Heide.”

I nodded, “A wise call. I’ll leave her to you then, Dietrich.” I gave him a hard stare, “You keep her safe, or all my hard work will have been for nothing.” Despite my eyes, my mouth could not help but grin.

He grinned back, “You betcha. Here.” Dietrich placed a finger on my cheek, over my cut. His warmth passed through my skin. I felt the weariness in my muscles start to lessen. By the time Dietrich’s fingers fell from my face, my body felt refreshed. Dietrich gave me a tired smile. “Good luck out there, Boss. You too, Sheriff.” 

Ulrich flashed his teeth, “It’s you who needs it, boy. We’ll show’em the reason they don’t mess with Justice.”

“Thank you, Dietrich,” said I, “I won’t let you down.”

“You haven’t yet, Boss.”

The last sight before Ulrich and I walked away was of Dietrich scooping Lina in his arms. My heart swelled again. Now that Lina was safe, I did not fear Heide in the slightest. I had a promise to fulfill to my people, after all.

2