Chapter 23- Victory and Justice
33 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I did not know I had passed out until I heard the sound of hooves approaching, which jarred me awake. Ulrich’s long face appeared above me and obscured my view of the heavens. His nose brushed against my hair as I felt his breath tickle my face. 

“Did you kill ‘em?”

I knew to whom he was referring. “No, my blades were far too damaged to be lethal. But he won’t regain consciousness for a while if no one bothers him.” Had my blades been sharp, not even the armor would have protected him against the might of the Cross.

Ulrich grunted. I could not tell if it was one of approval or not. 

“You’re welcome by the way.” Despite having little feeling in my limbs, I managed to push myself to my knees. “And Heide?”

“See fer yerself.”

I did, though I was not happy about moving my head as stars appeared in my vision. Still, I was able to see the woman sitting against a wall, hugging her knees. Three guards stood in front of her, arms folded with stoic expressions on their faces as if they had accomplished anything other than run away and be hypnotized. 

Ulrich grunted, “That was some mighty fine swordplay you did there. Silver would be impressed.”

That was high praise knowing Silver’s true identity, but I could not summon the energy to be happy about it. That last barrage of attacks had pushed me past my limit. All I wanted to do was sleep. 

The horse moved to stand beside me and crouched, “Here, grab on.”

I gave him a glance, “Still not going to let me ride, then?”

“Not a chance, Mr. Prince.”

I smirked at him, though I meant it as a smile. My face no longer functioned like I wanted. With considerable effort, I tangled my hand in Ulrich’s long, black mane and put all my weight into leaning against his neck. Ulrich stood, pulling me back to my feet. 

“Take those two to the jailhouse where they belong,” said Ulrich. “I’ll deal with them later.”

Jurgen lay near a wall. His helmet was off, exposing his bald head. The welt that split his face in half was still as red as ever. 

One of the guards bent down and picked up something off the ground, “What’s this thing?” He held up a familiar blue stone.

A telestone! The same mystical object that had brought Gertrude to Pleasance. Unlike Gertrude’s, however, the one held in the guard’s hand had a large crack running down the middle.

“Is it worth anything?” another guard.

“Probably not. It’s pretty busted up. Look.” The man turned the stone in his hands to show that the crack ran in several directions. Heide looked at it in horror, then in rage at Ulrich, which confirmed to me that it was indeed damaged beyond repair. She tried to stand but was pushed back by a guard.

That had been one powerful kick. Or perhaps not, as the man gave the stone a slight squeeze, which caused the whole thing to crumble to several pieces in his palm. The fragments fell to the ground, completely useless.

There was no escape for Heide. And she knew it. The woman’s shoulders slumped and rested her chin on her knees, though she still managed to look delicate and graceful.

Another guard approached, wearing a rather uncomfortable expression as he held a long white object in his hand.

“And what about this…?” he said. 

He presented Heide’s flute with a look of disgust. Heide came back to life as we all stared at the instrument. 

“Be careful with that, you clumsy oaf!” Like before, as soon as the harsher words came out of her mouth, Heide gave a squeak of shock, her face redding before she covered it with her hands.

We all spared her a glance, but ignored her. Our attention was on her weapon of choice.

I had been too focused on my duel with Jurgen to notice the details of the white flute. It was intricately designed with patterns of flowers carved into the body.

A wave of nausea washed over me. Both from a bout of lightheadedness and from the memory of what exactly the instrument was made of. Lina’s words echoed in my mind.

“It’s made of bone. Human bone.”

And I touched it! With my hands! A  shiver did a few laps up and down my spine. The only bone large enough to make a flute of that size was a femur. And what had Heide called it? Mother?

The pieces of a horrible puzzle were starting to fall into place. 

I needed a bath. A nice, long one.

“Seriously, Sheriff, what should I do with it?” asked the guard, holding the thing slightly away from him. “Should we break it, too?”

“Please, don’t!” cried Heide, “It’s my most precious possession!” There were tears in her eyes.

I was tempted to ignore her again, allow the guard to snap the flute in two and be done with it, but I held my tongue out of sympathy for the real Heide.

“Give it to the prince,” answered Ulrich.

“Eh?!” What little strength I had regained in my legs left them. Luckily, I had Ulrich’s neck to fall back on. “Why me?”

I felt any sympathy for the real Heide vanish only to be replaced with disgust. 

Ulrich grunted, “As the highest authority here, it’s yer duty to dispose of any potentially dangerous items.”

I cast through the fog of my mind for a valid argument against it. I could find none. “Oh, very well.” I could not lift my arm, so the guard slipped the infernal instrument into the pocket of my trousers. I could feel a massive case of the willes threatening to render me unconscious once again, but I resisted and kept my composure the best anyone could with the bone of a human woman pressing against their leg and watched as the guards pulled Heide to her feet and slapped Jurgen awake.

The man’s eyes shot open he looked around in a daze before being hoisted to his feet and dragged by the arms to join a procession

Heide somehow managed to look serene even as she gave me a dirty look, “If you so much as chip my flute, I swear I’ll–” 

I did not hear the end of that sentence as Heide was jostled forward by Jurgen, whose eyes were clear, “That’s enough out of you,” he grumbled, “Can’t believe I wasted my chance.”

The venom in Heide’s stare could have killed fifty minotaur. We both ignored her as a thought occurred to me. It was an insane thought, but one I had been curious about since I had escaped prison. “Hold on, Jurgen. Before you go, I wanted to ask you something.”

Jurgen looked at me, curiously. 

“Why did you lock Ulrich in the jailhouse?”

The man’s eyes shifted between me and the Sheriff, “He was my prisoner, and I was hoping to make him my steed once he calmed down.”

I shook my head, “Yes, but why in a human jail cell?”

Jurgen looked at me as if I were insane. “Where else would I put him?” His tone was of one stating the obvious. 

Maybe it was the fog that lay over my brain, but I accepted his answer with a nod and an, “I see. That makes sense.” It made about as much as anything I had seen today. 

The guards escorted Heide and Jurgen away and out of sight.

It was over. For now, at least. My mind turned to Lina and Dietrich. 

“Don’t worry, Mr. Prince. All the town is safe, thanks to you.” Ulrich began to walk at a pace that I could limp along. 

“And my companions?”

“Albert’s out looking for them now. I’m takin’ you to Soldier’s Haven. It’s the best inn in town. That’s where they’ll be when yer friends are found.” 

Soldier’s Haven turned out to be one of the buildings in the town square where we’d first met Heide. It was three stories tall and made of ancient gray stone that resembled a small fortress rather than an inn. The inside, however, was warm and inviting with the smell of food and drink hitting my face as soon as the door was open.

I had forgotten how hungry I was until my stomach began to roar at me. It had been nearly two days since my last meal and I felt like I could eat for several hours straight.

The place was packed with people; soldiers and citizens alike, who all cheered as we entered. The very walls shook with sheer volume of their jubilation. A rush of people grabbed at me. I did not have the strength to fight them off, as they pulled me from Anno and shoved me into a seat at the central table where a mountain of food awaited me. It was only pork and potatoes, but it could have been boiled goblin feet and it would be the most delicious looking feast I’d ever seen. 

Luckily, it was not. And my mouth watered at the sight. A pint of ale was pressed into my hands by one of the barmaids, who smiled and winked. But I only had eyes for the food and drink. I fought off the impulse to grab from the pile with my hands and stuff my face until I keeled over. Instead, I looked at the people around me and placed my tankard upon the table.

“I think I’ll wait until my companions arrive, thank you.” It would not be a true celebration until I knew they were safe.

Ulrich, who pushed his way through the crowd to stand beside me, “What’re you talkin’ about, Mr. Prince? Yer friends are already here!”

I gave a start and looked around me, expecting to see Dietrich and Lina. I found myself especially eager to see Lina, awake and alive. 

“Rie ‘ere, Boff!” 

I did not expect to hear Dietirch’s voice so close, let alone in front of me as his pale, shaggy head appeared from one side of the food pile. His cheeks were full to bursting with food. Even as I stared at him the man shoved four more potatoes into his mouth.

I could not be more delighted to see him. If I had the energy to stand up and embrace him, I would, “My friend! I’m glad to see you well!”

Dietrich gave a huge swallow and grinned at me, teeth full of bits of food, “I had no idea that food could taste so good!”

“And Lina?”

Dietrich’s face fell, “Still asleep. She’s in a room upstairs. But she’s being taken care of by the city’s doctor.”

It was not the greatest of news, but it was not bad news either. She was safe. I took hold of my tankard once more and raised it in the air, “In that case, who am I to deny celebration! Your Justice is freed!”

Another cheer, and plate after plate rained down upon our table. I did my best to maintain a princely etiquette and a reasonable pace, but eventually, my appetite won over as I devoured the food as it was laid in front of me. I washed it all down with seemingly endless tankards of ale as my stomach demanded more. But far too quickly, I became full. My stomach must have shrunk over the past few days. 

Dietrich was twice as ravenous as me, the massive pile of food vanished before my eyes. The man practically inhaled his plate, he was moving so fast. I could not help but laugh at the sight.

At some point, a trio of bards armed with a lute, flute, and fiddle, had struck up a rousing song, which made the crowd and I flinch and cover their ears at the sound of the music. The trio stopped and looked about awkwardly. But after realizing that none of us were mind controlled, the people chanted encouragement for the bards to begin playing again. 

The sound of the music filled the inn and the partiers began to stomp and clap in time to a rhythm as many began to dance.

I wished to join in, and though energy and warmth filled me, I found I could not move from my table. Dietrich was able to join in the dance, however. People were weary of him at first, but quickly realized that though he resembled a Deborn, he was harmless. And soon, Dietrich was the life of the party.

People filtered in and out of the inn, some I recognized, such as the woman that had scorned me for cowardice, and a few guards I had defeated. All were enthusiastic when they greeted me and begged to hear my tale of strife, which I was more than happy to do. But after three times telling of my battle with Heide and Jurgen, I could barely manage two words.

The crowd was disappointed when I turned them away, but Dietrich came to my rescue and began to spin his own version of our tale, though his had a touch more embellishment than my version. 

“The boss was surrounded by hundreds of guards, the odds were against him, but his heart did not waver. Not one bit. And with a mighty swing of his sword, cut down his foes ten at a time!”

As ridiculous of an exaggeration as it was I was quite enjoying it until the music swallowed his voice, too. 

Despite the atmosphere and drink, I felt myself in an increasingly sour mood that had nothing to do with Dietrich’s tall tale. I could not shake the worry at the thought of Lina that gnawed at my heart. Not even the ale could raise my spirits.

Despite the noise, I felt my eyelids growing heavy until a familiar red beard came into sight,“Albert!” I cried now wide awake. The man rushed to me and sat at the chair beside me, clapping me on the back. 

“So, you’re alive after all, my Prince!” The man had to yell over the noise for me to hear him.

“Barely,” I shouted before taking a long drink to soothe my worn throat. “But I’ll manage.”

That was all the conversation I could muster. The celebration was ramping up. This would easily last all night and into the morning.

Albert noticed my expression, stood, and proffered me his hand, which I took. The man hoisted me to my feet. Now that I was standing, I found I had enough strength to move, though my stomach and body protested. 

He leaned into my ear and said, “You want to see her with your own eyes, right, my prince?”

“Yes,” I answered. I trusted Dietrich, but I could not stop myself from wanting to see her. 

“Come with me then.” I followed the man to a set of stairs against a wall, but not before a chorus of protests rang out.

Even Dietrich yelled out, “C’mon, Boss, even you can’t be that much of a party pooper!”

“Now, now,” called Ulrich, who to my surprise was amongst the throngs of dancers, “Mr. Prince has more than earned his rest.”

“Yes,” said I, “Do not let me stop your fun. Enjoy yourselves.”

Ulrich stomped his hoof, “Guards, salute!” 

Many in the crowd obeyed, even some I knew to be citizens.

I acknowledged them with a small wave before I walked upstairs with a little support from Albert. 

I could still hear the noise clearly, even on the second floor. It was as if the partiers were trying to make up for my absence, which I appreciated. I wanted to be there with them–really I did, but I was not in the mood for celebration any longer. 

Albert led me down the corridor, until we reached a door set against a back wall, guarded by a familiar young soldier. At the sight of me, Herman stiffened and saluted.

“P-prince Anno! It’s you!” 

I gave him a reassuring smile, “Yes, Herman it’s me.”

“I… I’m…Sorr–” The boy’s words faltered, his eyes cast about. It was clear that the silence was awkward for him, but it was not for me. I pressed a hand to his shoulder. 

“There is nothing to apologize for, my good boy.”

“But I’m the one who shot her! If I hadn’t been stupid and followed that noise…” Herman’s head bowed as he hid his oncoming tears.

“The only one who is at fault is Heide. No, not even her.” Herman looked up at me in confusion, the same one Albert was wearing as they both stared at me. 

I was not in the mood to explain anything. “Just know that I am not angry with you, Herman. Now, if you don’t mind.”

Herman saluted again, and allowed us to enter. There were four people in the room, one was a thin old man with wispy white hair, and two dark haired women with identical faces. All surrounded the unconscious Lina, who lay upon the bed garbed in a plain, gray nightgown. It looked as if she had been well taken care of as she was now clean of any lingering ash and mud from our time at Pleasance. 

All three bowed as we entered. The old man was the first to speak, “So, you must be the prince I’ve heard so much about, yes? My name is Lenz, these are my daughters, Lia and Marie. We’ve been watching over–”

“Yes, thank you.” I did not mean to snap at the man, who blinked at me in surprise. The two women glared at me. “Forgive my rudeness, Doctor. It’s been a rather long and stressful day. How is she?” I had eyes only for Lina as I limped closer to her bed.

“As far as I can tell, she’s fine. I heard she was shot by a crossbow, and yet there’s no wound to speak of.”

I looked between the three of them, choosing my words carefully “No marks…at all?”

“None,” said one of the women. “Honestly, I’m quite jealous of how perfect her skin is.”

Her sister nodded her head in affirmation. She waved a hand over Lina, a soft light emanating from her fingers, “Her body’s been healed thanks to that Deborn of yours. Very little blood loss. All she needs now is rest.”

That did not alleviate any of my fear, “How long do you think it will take?” If we stayed here, there was a good chance even more of the false hero’s lackeys may appear.

The three exchanged looks with each other. “That depends on her,” said Lenz. “My girls can’t wake her up, even with spells. None of my medicines work. It’s beyond any of our knowledge. In the end, she must wake up on her own. It could take days, or weeks–it could be tomorrow,” he added hastily, “I wish there were more that we could do.”

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. “You’ve done the best you can. Thank you, doctor.” 

We could either wait for Lina to awaken, or take her to Grenna as she is. How we would transport an unconscious woman across four kingdoms, I had no idea. Especially if the only means of transporting her was by carrying her. Walking around with an unconscious woman in our arms? We would not make it past the first border to Altern. 

If only Ulrich hadn’t smashed that telestone, we could have gone anywhere with ease.

But since he had, that only gave us one option, which was to stick with our original plan and build up supplies in Justice by doing odd jobs for the guilds. 

And if that was the case, then I knew the first thing I wanted to do. My nose curled as I looked at my finger crusted with the filth that clung to my hair. 

“Er…Albert,” I said, wiping my hand on my equally filthy pants, “I don’t suppose there’s a place to clean myself off is there?”

The bearded man grinned, “The inn has a bathhouse in the back. Would that be sufficient, my prince?”

“Oh, absolutely!” I could feel my skin tingling with anticipation already. 

2