Chapter 10: Everyone has flaws
416 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was the first time I’d witnessed such a spell firsthand. My interest peaks up.

 

Chang’e gradually floats down to the garden once again. 

 

“Now it’s your turn, Xin.” 

 

Bravely, I step forth, placing my hands together. I had seen all the steps that Chang’e followed and listened to everything she had said. 

 

I take a deep breath and begin to clear off my mind. Hear everything around me, feel the connection of the Environment and the flow of Qi. And then – I feel the Qi flowing into my body and gathering even more power. 

 

‘Coldness, huh? That’s the factor I need to gain moon essence,’ I say inwardly. 

 

‘Cold…’ I think of the feeling I get when I touch ice or that really cold feeling on rainy days when I steal most of the blanket from Mei. 

 

Suddenly, I feel it. That strange feeling of chill crawling up my body. It brings memories of my rebirth and my past life’s death, but I push back those memories to contain the flow of Qi. 

 

“Yes. That’s it, kiddo,” Chang’e says joyously. “Only a little more, and you’ll be able to cast that spell.” 

 

I keep amassing Qi within me, and suddenly, I feel my legs lifting from the garden. My body is glowing as this chilling Qi flows into me. I figure that is this thing called “Moon Essence.” 

 

My entire body is now glowing, just like Chang-e’s body. 

 

I am her son after all, I feel. 

 

“Good… good.  Now raise your hands gently, and yell out the spell. Ice Spell: Freeze Blast.” 

 

I feel awkward when she says this. Do we have to say the spell every single time… out loud? 

 

I raise my hands just as she did when she cast her spell. Except, in my case, I lift both hands. I couldn’t handle the weight of the Qi with just one hand. 

 

“Yes, dear. Use both hands and control it. You can do this!” 

 

Chao Mei stares at me intently, biting her fingernails. She does this when she’s stressed. I guess seeing me like this stressed her out. 

“ICE SPELL!” Moon essence overflows in my body. “FREEZE BLAST!” 

 

A huge spark of blue light shoots out of my fingertips, materializing itself into a beam of ice in mid-air. 

 

SWOOSH! 

 

A mist covers the entire garden instantly when the ice beam hits the pond. I suddenly feel as if my whole body is limp. I fall flat into the grass, losing my entire Qi. 

 

The mist slowly fades away, and there are enormous spikes of ice rising up to a great height. The pond is nowhere to be seen. It’s covered by massive spikes of ice. 

 

“Wow… amazing,”  Chao Mei exclaims, gazing at the spears of ice covering the pond. 

 

“Wha –” Chang-e’s words break midway. “What in the world happened? This wasn’t supposed to…” She looks down at me and sees me lying on the ground. She quickly leans down and takes me into her arms. 

 

“Silly… your Qi is drained to nothing.” 

 

My body is entirely… numb. I feel like a noodle hanging from Mother Change’s arms. 

 

“I am… I am dead,” I say, breathing out. “What just happened?” 

 

“What happened???” Chao Mei cries out from behind, rushing forth to see me. “Why… What's the matter? Did something happen to him?” 

 

Chang’e stares at my face, her eyes twitching. “He –” she suddenly stops and looks into Mei’s eyes. 

 

My conscience is slowly beginning to fade. But I resist. 

 

“He what?” Mei demanded. 

 

“He can cultivate Qi pretty quick – but he can’t cast a spell while suppressing his Moon Essence,” Chang’e replies, smiling awkwardly. “Oh dear – everyone has flaws, after all.” 

 

My conscience fades away. 

 

///

It’s about 30 minutes after that when I wake up from my slumber. The clock displays [11:15].

 

Mei is asleep right beside me on the couch, wrapping me in her arms. Her giant pillows against my back. She is fast asleep. 

 

I don’t wake her up. Disturbing her peaceful sleep isn’t good. I slowly slide out of her arms, escaping from her cuddle. My stomach is growling. I need that food right now.

 

Right at that moment, I see someone in the kitchen. Someone besides us in the house?

 

‘Is it a thief?’ I hesitate. 

 

The smell of scrambling eggs comes from the kitchen, and I wonder what a thief would do cooking in our house. 

 

“Oh! Xin, you’re awake?” A familiar voice calls out from the kitchen. 

 

It’s just Mother Moon. 

 

“Come come. Chao Mei passed out after giving you some of her Qi. She said she wanted you to have your dinner before you slept and told me to heat the dinner for you,” Chang’e explains, bringing the hot plate of scrambled eggs to the dinner table. 

 

I sigh. ‘She didn’t have to go and give me Qi just so I won’t miss dinner.’ 

 

“Come on, eat up now, Xin. Your mom asked me to feed you.” 

 

Since Chao Mei went through all this, I can’t possibly ignore it. I wash my hands from the sink and sit down at the dinner table. 

 

It feels pretty strange to see Mother Chang’e wearing a white apron, seated at the dinner table with me. Every other day, it was Chao Mei who did this. But – now it won’t be unusual anymore, I feel. They’ll feed me together at full moons. 

 

I smile as I remember that my two Moms had finally gotten along. 

 

Chang’e scoops the egg fried rice with the spoon. 

 

“Open up,” she says joyfully. 

 

I open up and she shoves the spoon into my mouth, almost making me choke.

 

“Arg –” I gobble it down, almost spitting the food out. 

 

“Oh, my GOD! I’m so so sorry.” A terrified expression comes over my face. “I – I…” 

 

“It’s ok, Mom.” 

 

“Ha…” she sighs in relief. “I’m sorry. This is the first time I ever got to feed a baby. I was just so happy 'cause I got to feed you like this…” 

 

“Mmm… it’s tasty,” I say, touching her trembling hand with my tiny hand. “More.”

 

She smiles at me, kindly. “My sweet child,” she says, kissing me on the forehead. “I love you.” 

 

As she kisses me, my face turns red. “I – I love you too…” 

 

This time, she feeds me right. 

 

After the meal was finished and the dishes were washed, only me and Chang’e remained in the living room. In moments, the clone of Chang’e began to weaken. 

 

“It’s time I go now,” she says to me. 

 

I stand in the living room, gazing up at her. “Yes, Mom… Do come back next full moon,” I reply.

 

“Of course, of course.” 

 

I feel slightly sad. “What of the… ugh, flaw I have? Do you have anyway I can maintain it? The Moon essence?” 

 

She nods. “Train lots, kiddo. After that, you can manage this Moon essence of yours… ok?” 

 

“Yes, I will.” 

 

She smiles at me and walks to the window, ready to disappear. 

 

I watch her as she turns her back to me. 

 

“Oh – one more thing,” she adds suddenly. 

 

“Huh? What is it?” 

 

“You haven’t told Chao Mei the truth about who you were in your past life, have you? I think the reason your soul is from another dimension is why your spell-casting became unstable,” she says, gazing at me over her shoulder. “Do you think it’ll be good to lie to her?” 

 

I go silent. I take a minute to think about what she said. 

 

“A man should never hide anything from the ones who they want to receive love from. I mean, I never hide my true self from anyone. The more you tell the truth, the closer they get to you.” The same words she had told me years ago echo back to me. 

 

“I know,” I reply to Chang’e. “I know but – Mother Mei thinks that my soul is her reincarnated husband. If I told her that I am not even from this world… she would be sad. She believes that my soul is her lover’s soul.” 

 

“Hmm, then. Keep it a secret. Some secrets are worth keeping…  You truly love her, Xin.” She smiles at me, and her body turns to dust. The dust sprinkles on my face. 

 

For the first time in this life, I feel as if I am guilty.

//Author’s Note//

 

Leave a power stone if you need more chapters and want this book to continue! I hope you enjoy the stuff I wrote. Plus, leave a comment and a review. It makes my day! 

14