C-5 [returning home【1】]
95 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Foxian presented an idea so outlandish that I wasn’t quite sure if she was joking or not at first.  

“Return…to Eltshion?” 

“Yes, that is correct,” Miho confirmed with a nod. “Without the two lead roles, Eltshion no longer has a story and cannot be considered as a「World Novel」, which is troublesome for both Her Holiness and me, her agent and editor.” 

Upon hearing her words, Terasia gave a light cough and raised her hand.

“I don’t quite understand what you’re saying. You have said it yourself that Eltshion is a real planet and not a simulated one, so how can it still be a「World Novel」in the first place?” she asked. “And your request doesn’t make sense—it’s impossible to return a world to its past, so how do you plan on ‘restoring’ its story even if we were to agree to it?” 

I tilted my head, not quite understanding her question, but still curious about Miho’s answer. 

“It’s true that Eltshion is not a「World Novel」in its current state, but it isn’t unheard of for a「World Novel」to be modelled after an existing natural planet,” Miho explained. “We will use the world of Eltshion and its inhabitants as the foundation for a new「World Novel」, which I can then submit to the Organisation for their perusal. And in order to do that, both of you have to be present…”

“In other words, you want us to act as models?” I wondered aloud. 

“Indeed, something like that. We just need you to follow the plot through to the end—”

“Miho, can you answer this question for me?” Terasia suddenly said. “Do you think that the inhabitants of Eltshion are beings with their own free will, or merely characters in a story?” 

Her question hung in the silence that followed. 

“…to be honest with you, such a thing has yet to come across my mind till now,” Miho said tersely. Then, her tail cautiously curling up behind her, she asked in a quiet voice, “Is this the real reason why you decided to go back on your deal with Her Holiness?”

My eyes widened upon hearing the Foxian’s hushed words. 

I made a deal with someone before my death...you’ll probably know that person as the one who blessed the Hero of Eltshion.

‘Terasia did mention something about a deal with the Goddess last time, didn’t she?’ 

As I thought that, I looked towards her and our eyes met. 

“Mm, you’re right,” she said, her lips curling up into a slight smile. “Maybe you’ll disagree with me just like Her, but I hate the idea that all of Eltshion’s inhabitants have to follow a destiny that is not theirs to decide—especially Stefania and Lukterasia.” 

“…”

Miho remained quiet for a moment.

“Ahem,” Seraphine interrupted, stifling a weary sigh. “I doubt this discussion can be wrapped up by today, and I believe that Avery and Terasia will need some time to make their own choices too. Let’s talk at another time, shall we?”

Terasia and I shared a glance of assent, while Miho flicked her tail thoughtfully. 

“I think I understand where Lukterasia is coming from,” she murmured. “I shall discuss this with Her Holiness later.”

“I’ll talk to her as well,” Seraphine concurred. “By the way, Miho, where will you be staying for the night?”

“Eh? I figured that I can just rent a room in an inn with the money that Charlene provided.”

“And how much money did my sister give you?”

“Three ten-dollar notes in total, if I’m not wrong…how much is that worth?”

Terasia and I gave the bemused Foxian lady a pitiful look at the same time. “Wow, that’s stingy.”

“I expected nothing less,” Seraphine said with an awkward laugh. “I’d like to invite you to stay at Seraphine’s house, but I’m not sure if there’s a spare room which you can use…”

She directed us a pleading glance that was very unlike Seraphine. Terasia shrugged and gestured around at her studio apartment in response. 

After a moment of hesitation, I cleared my throat. 

“Well, my parents are away on a business trip until next month,” I began. “So as long as they don’t find out…I don’t think there’s a problem letting a guest stay overnight at my place.”

“R-really?” Miho exclaimed. “No wonder they call you a Hero! Thank you, benefactor!”

She looked just like a happy snow fox wagging her tail in excitement, and I felt an unexpected warmth spreading through me.

“Cute…” 

“Alright, so that’s settled then.” Seraphine clapped her hands together and took out her phone. “We’re going to be running late to tuition class if we take the train from here, so I’ll book a Grab for us. My treat, of course.” 

I hastily waved my hand. “T-that won’t be necessary, we can just—”

“Please treat it as my apology to the both of you for making you attend this meeting on such short notice,” she insisted in a sheepish voice. “Besides, Seraphine always appreciates a good rest after letting me borrow her body.”

“You know, I’ve been wondering,” Terasia asked curiously. “Why did you choose Seraphine to be your vessel anyway?” 

“Hm, curious?” She chuckled and closed her eyes. “You can try asking her once she wakes up.”

-

Seraphine (well, the real one) only stirred from her slumber when we were almost reaching the tuition centre. Rubbing her bleary eyes, she blinked a few times before glancing up at me.

“You finally woke up.”

“I…” She paused and looked down at my shoulder. “Have I been sleeping on you this entire time?! M-my apologies!”

“It’s fine, I don’t mind it,” I quickly said, flashing her a reassuring smile. “Are you feeling okay?” 

“Mhm, I don’t particularly feel anything…” She noticed Terasia sitting beside me and nodded her head awkwardly. “Nice to meet you again, Terasia.”

“Yay, you remembered my name correctly this time! Nice to meet you again too, Seraphine.” 

“Yong’s Tuition Centre, correct?” The driver pulled over by the road outside the tuition centre and unlocked the doors. “The fare’s already paid for, so there’s no need to give any payment.”

After thanking the driver, we took our bags and alighted from the car. 

“That was such an interesting ride,” Miho, who had switched to her human disguise and was sitting in the front passenger seat, remarked. “So that’s how the vehicles in this world work…” 

Seraphine stared at her in shock. 

“W-w-who is this person??”

“Eh?” 

Miho pointed a finger at herself while exchanging a bemused glance with me and Terasia. “Am I that unrecognisable as a human?”

I turned to Seraphine. 

“You don’t remember her? She’s Miho, the person you introduced to us while you were possessed…”

Furrowing her brows, she shook her head. 

“I can’t recall anything that happens during the time that my body is taken over,” she explained. “But, I assume she’s an acquaintance of the Deity who possessed me just now.” 

“You sound so calm about that,” Terasia said. “Seraphine, are you already familiar with being possessed by God?”

“Erm, yes…I come from a family of tâng-kis, something like spirit mediums in the Western sense,” she replied tentatively. “Though, we worship a lot of deities in our religion, so I’m not too sure myself which ‘God’ was the one you were communicating with…y-you must think that what I’m talking about right now is weird, right?”

“Interesting, yes. Weird?” Terasia chuckled as we entered the tuition centre. “Compared to all the things that I’ve seen so far, possession sounds pretty tame…oh, hello, Mr. Yong!”

“Come on in, Liam’s been wondering where all of you went.” 

Opening the classroom door, Mr. Yong noticed Miho and gave us a puzzled look. “Do we have another new student today?” 

It took a while to explain things to Mr. Yong, but eventually, Miho was allowed to join us in the classroom despite not being a student. After all, it felt kind of bad to make a guest wait outside alone while we were attending tuition class.

“So, that girl is a trial student?” Liam whispered, glancing at Miho who was sitting with Seraphine in her usual corner of the classroom. “She’s Seraphine’s friend, right?” 

“I guess so,” I said, giving a slight shrug.

“Hmm…” 

He raised an eyebrow at me. “Avery, is there a chance that you might actually be a ladies’ man?” 

“Huh?” I started. “Where did that come from?” 

“I mean, look…” He dropped his voice even lower to a furtive whisper. “It’s only been a week since you met Terasia, and you two are already in a situationship, no?”

“Mm-hmm?”

“And in this time, you’ve also gotten so close to Seraphine that you shared a Grab with her and her friend,” he pointed out with a suspicious look on his face. “You can’t blame me for getting suspicious, you know?”

“Sounds like you’re just being jealous, if you ask me,” I rejoined. 

Liam snorted at my wry reply.

“Who wouldn’t be jealous of a main character in life like you?” he said. “Don’t you agree with me, Terasia?” 

Looking up from her notes at us, Terasia nodded her head eagerly. “Mhm, Avery’s a very popular kid.” 

“I’m sorry, I can’t seem to help it…” 

6