Chapter 2: The Town
52 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Vote has concluded and we have ended up with Druid! Was honestly not expecting that. This chapters vote will conclude on Thursday at 10 PM EST so I can write Friday's chapter.

Here is the link to the votes from Chapter 1.

 

 

The God raised its head, a brow raised, it before Silvas one moment, then behind him looking over his shoulder the next, “A Druid eh? That’s one of the more rare classes we see. Very….. Interesting!” The God shouted delight in its voice.

Silvas looked at his now changed class, not sure how to feel, as he felt no changes. His confusion must have made it to his face as the God swung around in front of him.

“What’s with the face? Surprised not to feel different after having something like that change?” the God asked.

“I simply expected something. Of what I am not sure,” Silvas replied, his hand moving to his chin as he looked at the new window.

Name: Silvas D. Galanas

Race: Human [E]

Level: 1

Class: Druid [Starter]

Vitality 17

Strength 14

Agility 10

Perception 11

Intelligence 14

Wisdom 9

Endurance 12

Resistance 10

Free Points: 0

Skill Points: 0

Skills: They are Watching Lvl 999, Nature’s Breath Lvl 1, Nature Shock Lvl 1.

Passive Traits: Poison Resistance Lvl 1, Nature Resistance Lvl 1.

Titles: First Class

Possible Succession Classes: None

Silvas moved his eyes from the window to the lackadaisical God who had made his way to the table, his feet now propped up comfortably.

“It is high time you explain in detail what is going on, boy,” Silvas growled.

The God’s brows piqued and then relaxed at being addressed.

“Oh now, now, I may look like this but I'm far older than you. Don’t get your panties in a twist there big man. It will come in due time.” the God smiled, “But! I can explain a few things before we leave.”

“Leave?” Silvas parroted.

“Yes, leave. What, you didn’t think you were going to start fighting the beasties in here did you?” the God chuckled, “Anyway, I’ll explain your skills first as I’m sure you're wondering. When you first change classes you are given the basics of that class. For Druid you get a heal of time spell, and a Nature based attack spell. You will have to chant out the spells at first, but as they level that goes away.”

Silvas paced the room looking for an exit as he listened to the explanation. After a minute of being unable to discover one he sat down and crossed his arms to listen more attentively. Resulting in the God grinning before he continued.

“Comfy? This is going to only take a few more minutes I promise~. Now where was I? Oh yes! Every two levels you will be able to choose a skill from a list, each skill will require points to learn, usually stronger skills more points. You get the gist, yes?” the God asked, as he sat up straight in his chair now.

Silvas nodded curtly, then waited for the boy God to continue.

“Now as I’ve said your next class upgrade is at level 10, which shouldn’t be too hard considering you got Druid. But, tell me now how did you feel when you got your class again?” a devilish grin forming on the God’s face.

Silvas gave a questioning raise of his brow but answered, “I felt nothing. Honestly I would have never known if you did not mention it…?” Silvas answered, his face becoming more confused the more he spoke.

I wouldn’t have noticed? But how.. He thought. How would he not notice a change within his own body?

The God gave a knowing grin, “That my friend is the result of the skill ‘They are Watching’! At any point the Gods can vote on your decisions, actions or influence your surroundings or encounters! The skill makes it so you will not know it has happened, but because I have told you and the skill is there, you know of the possibility so you can know what you don’t know without knowing as long as you know! Understand?”

Silvas pressed his fingers to his temples, not sure how to respond.

So I will only know my life has been tampered with by these beings because I will have loss of time or suspicious understanding?! What a farce! He roared internally. His eyes snapping to the boy God in front of him, filled with hate and malice.

The God waved his arms in front of him, “Hey don’t shoot the messenger! You can figure it out on your own as well, if you think on the skill a description will pop up just like the status window.”

Silvas did just that and looked at the skills he had gained.

They are Watching Level 999

  • The Gods are always watching you, and will change fate as they see fit.

So I have absolutely no choice in the matter… At least I can take solace in the fact I can do something about it after figuring out that something has changed right?

Moving onto the next skill Silvas mulled over what he was going to have to keep track of from time to time to make sure he had not been affected by the previous skill.

Nature’s Breath Level 1

  • Heal of Time
  • Heals for 50% of Maximum Health over 30 seconds.
  • Cost: 10% of Maximum Mana
  • Cooldown: 2 Minutes

Nature Shock Level 1

  • Instant Damage Spell. Interrupts, and stuns the target for 0.5 seconds.
  • Deals 1 to 1 Nature Damage based on Intelligence
  • Cost: 5% of Maximum Mana
  • Cooldown: 5 Seconds

Silvas went over the skills several times before asking, “How does one use these?”

The God tilted his head, “You scream the name of the skill at first, and the skill system will do the rest for now. As you level up it will go away and it will be more on you to figure it out and use the skills. So train hard big guy! Winners don’t slack. Play hard work hard and all that,” the God answered with a wave of his hand.

“Now that’s enough of that I’m beginning to get bored,” the God snapped his fingers and a door appeared on the wall behind him, “Surge! Hello, Surge?!” the God yelled standing up.

A moment later the door swung open and a man about the same height as Silvas walked in with full plate armor and a large metal crossbow at his side.

With a slight bow to the God he answered, “Yes, your excellence?”

“Be a dear and show Silvas around, the usual tour. No need to go the extra mile but make sure he isn't robbed or sold just yet. And here are your starter funds and equipment Silvas, don’t lose them because you won’t be getting more,” the God snickered, a wave of his hand and items fell to the table in front of Silvas in a flash of bright light.

Silvas eyed the items on the table. A leather pouch that was filled with something, and a gnarled staff about half the length of his height, as well as a small iron looking dagger inside a leather belt and holster.

Moving his eyes from the items to the God, “The price?” he asked suspiciously.

A wave of the God’s hand and a smirk, followed by a disgruntled look from the man Surge, the God answered flippantly.

“Relax~ It’s a freebie, one of the few things you will get for nothing here. Be happy, because you won’t be for long. Tah Tah~”

Surge bowed as the God passed him and closed the door behind him, then waited for Silvas with a glare.

Silvas didn’t mind being scorned for his behavior, he had been curt and to the point ever since he started his military life. It was just how you conducted yourself on the field.

He wasn’t so certain the items in front of him were absolutely free, but he had little choice as he was weaponless at the moment. Taking the dagger and strap in his hands he tightened it around his waist. Next, taking the bag and jingling it, the sound of metal clanging together.

Opening the bag he saw coins. He could tell right away that they were silver and bronze from the color. He then placed it along the leather strap holding his dagger in place.

Finally grabbing the wooden branch like staff and walked over to Surge.

Surge raised his chin, “Settled?”

Silvas gave a quick nod.

“Good then let’s get this over with, I want to be in the tower by noon,” Surge grumbled, then swung the door open.

Silvas covered his eyes for a moment at the glare of the sun as he finally had a chance to look outside of the room, the difference in illumination piercing.

What awaited Silvas was something he had never seen before. He walked out onto the open side of the hallway, the breeze of the mild air brushing his black hair across his face as he stared down.

He was currently in a building taller than any he had ever witnessed or imagined being made. The bright blue sky filled the horizon, the occasional cloud wisping trails of white through it.

The sound of birds cawing, and the bustle of the street below him filled his ears.

The town, city, no Capital of the Eternal Plains, Ova, spread as far as the eye could see, extravagant buildings raised high above others, and the sheen of materials making them up glistened in the midday sun.

But the most entrancing and daunting structure was the one with no end, a Tower that raised to beyond the clouds, with no end in sight. A pristine white column that looked down on the rest of the town.

“Is that the Tower of Eternia…?” Silvas asked, for the first time a dumbfounded look on his face, his mouth agape.

Surge scoffed, “Country bumpkin.. Yes that’s the tower, now get a move on we have places to be. Watch your purse, there are thief classes about.”

Silvas righted himself from the edge of the railing he was leaning on, double checking his pouch.

Haven’t been robbed yet, good start.

He craned his head to see Surge walking down the hallway, not waiting for him in the slightest.

Silvas did his best to maneuver around the trails of people that were walking through the hallway, some giving him odd or sympathetic looks, each one wearing different armors and weapons at their sides or on their backs, gaining interest from Silvas. But he had to quickly catch up if he did not want to become lost.

After a few hectic seconds he caught up to the brusk Surge, walking down the steps of a staircase.

Needing answers Silvas began interrogating the man.

“How high does the Tower go?”

“Don’t know, God’s aren’t allowed to say, and no one else will tell you unless you’re in a guild that shares that info.”

“How high is this building we are in, what is this building?”

“Not sure. Maybe 5 stories? And this is the East Hall, it’s where you turn in loot and new arrivals come. Watch yourself!” Surge shouted at someone who bumped him on his turning down the staircase.

The smaller person’s ears flicked as they recoiled. “Sorry! Sorry!”

As they both moved past, Silvas eyed the animal ears on top of the person, a feline tail fallowing behind them.

That seems out of place. Am I sure I didn’t die and go to the afterlife? Was the Black River just a farce and this is truly hell? Silvas thought.

“That person. They had animal ears and tail,” Silvas asked, his eyes wandering around seeing more and more of the same, some people even having horns, and different colored skin.

“Yeah what of it?” Surge answered, as if it was a normal thing, “The Plains are filled with all types of races from all different worlds, get used to it.”

Silvas for the first time in a long time, felt as if he was a fish out of water.

The pair walked for a few more minutes and down several more flights of stairs until they reached the ground floor. A long expansive room with counters on one side, some long couches in the vicinity and then open space where lines of people waited to reach the counters.

Silvas had never seen so many people line up for something other than food before in the military camps. As he looked on in wonder.

“Bumpkin, keep it moving, now for the town,” Surge yelled back at the stalled Silvas, a wave of his hand beckoning him for only a moment as he walked through the open archway to the outside.

Silvas grit his teeth.

This lump seems to think I deserve no respect.

Catching up once again Silvas grabbed Surge’s shoulder and turned him to face him.

“My name is Silvas D. Galanas and you would do well to remember that,” Silvas said, evenly.

Surge smirked and grabbed the hand on his shoulder, wrenching it from it.

Silvas’s eyes widened in surprise at the strength of the man, he had never been out done like this since he was a boy. His arm screamed in pain, but Silvas looked into Surge’s eyes with defiance.

“Your name is whatever I want it to be bumpkin. You’re level one with no guild, no party, no affiliation. If it was not for my overseeing God ordering me to give you this little walk about, you would be stumbling around in the dirt soon enough,” Surge sneered, and released Silvas. Turning to walk down the crowded street once more.

The eyes of the passers-by barely looking to meet Silvas as he nursed his arm. Obviously a common occurrence around the Hall.

Silvas cursed but recovered quickly, not wanting to lose sight of the bastard. Getting to his feet, he pressed forward catching up again.

He now looked at Surge in a different light, unsure what to make of him. He was in plate armor, suggesting he was strong enough to carry it, but held a crossbow on his side. And while tall, he didn't not have the same broad frame as Silvas had, making him wonder where the strength had come from.

It must be these new stats.. Is he a higher level than I? Is he a warrior or a ranger class then? I need to gather more information. Looking into a guild may be a good start. Silvas pondered as he kept pace with the quickly moving Surge.

“This is the East District, it’s the lowest class of the city. New arrivals and the scum of the city are mostly here,” Surge said, pointing around at some of the more simple looking housing and buildings. Especially in comparison to the Hall they had just exited.

Surge pointed to a large blue crystal on a platform a ways ahead, it’s tip poking over top of a smaller building.

“See that? That’s a transportation crystal, you can access the Tower through it or by walking to the tower itself. But don’t plan on it. Estate around the Tower is for the lazy nobles and high leveled Climbers.” Surge explained.

“Climbers? I assume that is the people climbing the Tower,” Silvas asked indignantly.

“Not so slow after all! Yes, you will get your Tower Climber’s Card once you’ve entered the Tower for the first time. It automatically manifests on your initial entry to it.” Surge said, walking faster now towards the crystal’s platform.

“And here we are! End of the tour!” Surge said, then unceremoniously walking off down the platform.

“Wait! That is all? We simply walked down the street that can't possibly be all there is. I have many more questions to ask,” Silvas said glaring down at Surge.

Surge turned to look over his shoulder giving a wave of his gauntlet, “Don’t care, I gave you a tour and now it’s over, deed done. You are on your own. Also, look lively. Looks like you just lost your pouch,” Surge said, a grin on his face as he waved again.

“What?!” Silvas shouted, startling some of the nearby people.

Silvas patted his side and found nothing resembling his leather pouch.

I didn’t even feel it loosen! He shouted internally.

Desperately scanning he saw a boy run off into the crowd of the street below.

Silvas ran with all his speed after the boy. They both ran and knocked people down with shouts and curses as they played the game of cat and mouse.

Silvas continued to close in on the boy with his longer stature and speed, until the boy duct a wooden scaffolding next to a building and went into a side street.

“Damn it!” Silvas cursed as he slipped his momentum too fast to make the tight turn in time.

He gathered himself and duct underneath the same length of wood, running down the alley.

“Where did he go?”

Silvas looked and spotted the leg of someone turning down another corner, and took his chances chasing after.

Running and turning the corner, he found himself at a dead end.

The boy and two men with swords in their hands waiting and smiling.

“Looks like you're in the wrong part of town Fresh Meat,” Said one of the men, in his hands bouncing up and down was Silvas’s pouch of money.

What will you make Silvas do?
  • Stand and Fight Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Run away Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Scream for help Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Talk it out Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 8 · This poll was closed on Feb 2, 2023 06:09 PM.
4