Chapter 26.0 – Boiled Blood
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I think I'll have the release schedule be one chapter on Tuesday/Wednesday and then another on Saturday/Sunday. I need to get myself to be a bit more consistent with this stuff.

I stayed there, amongst the worms and dirt for an unknown amount of time, however, with the mist I had left outside I could see that the pony hadn’t moved. My wings ached, I tried to spread them. A bit of earth fell and covered my back. I looked back and found that the tunnel continued far deeper. It seemed to be made by rodents. I dispersed and flowed into the small opening, travelling down the tunnel for a long time; I passed at least a hundred rats and twenty separate rooms filled with a mix of meat, rotten food, and small animal bones.

I called back the rest of my mist. I didn’t know what would happen if I were to lose it. And so, the titanium white pony followed me to the small hole. Unable to fit inside, it started to bash the area with its hoof.

I continued to travel down the underground system. Finally, a small light drizzled down into the tunnel. I spread some of my mist outside, thankfully nothing awaited me there. Still, I’d wait for nighttime before attempting to put any more distance between us.

#

Crickets murmured, rats whispered, and cockroaches sung; it soothed the sun’s heated heart which went to sleep and let its younger sister take over the mantle of watcher.

As the moon drifted oh so high, I crept out of the tunnel. I flew into the closest bush and looked through the leaves in search of a stray pony. Thankfully, there was nothing. I transformed into my human form. Towering above the branch my eyes set on great walls and pillars of flame. I turned and headed in the opposite direction of this once great city of mankind.

#

A month passed. I walked for a week before I flew once again.

I flapped my wings and took in the fresh morning air. However, just as I was about to exhale a charring heat spread through my body. The small hairs on my wings and face blazed red and I started to lose altitude.

My torch had reached its limit. No longer could it be separated from its peers? But it was fine. In my sight, other than great mountains a small castle built of stones and wood stood a few metres above a sprawling town. I guided my fall towards it. However, the longer I spent in the air, the hotter the flames burnt and the harder it was to keep my wings extended.

Still, with gritted teeth I pushed through and fought to stay afloat. Finally, when I reached a point above the castle, I let the heat consume me. I dropped down. I couldn’t see where I was falling. Whether in the courtyard, or on the towers. I couldn’t see if I faced up into the sky or down towards the earth. An all-consuming fire blinded me from the world and the world from me.

#

             Alexander’s POV

“What is that father?” asked Luca running towards me. “Is that judgment? Are we all going to die?” Luca jumped into my arms.

I patted his head. “No don’t worry. I don’t know what it is, but it should be fine.” It was just a small ball of flames. “Let’s go and see.” We descended the tower from where we looked over the town and mountain. Carrying Luca, I made my way through the hallways and entered the courtyard.

“What is that?” asked Luca, pointing to a black torch. “And why is the fire purple? It’s beautiful,” he said.

I looked down and saw a dead bat next to it. Another demon had appeared. I ran away with Luca in my arms and headed straight to the chapel located at the edge of the castle and pushed open the door to God’s abode. Father Jean cleaned the chalice used in the mornings mess under the supervision of the Christ. “Father Jean.” I called out. “A torch has come down.”

He set down the jewelry lined goblet. “A torch?” His hands trembled.

“Yes, fast, you have to confirm it.”

Although his white hair had long since settled in, he still had the strength to take quick strides. I set down Luca. “Stay here until we return.”

“No, I can’t. You’re talking like you did before you left for war. I don’t want you to leave again,” he cried out, clinging to my pants.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be back in less than an hour. Stay here for a bit. Be good.”

Luca nodded and I left with Father Jean.

#

Father Jean stood in front of the torch which burnt a vivid purple. “I’m afraid that this is indeed the torch of the devil. We must evacuate the populace.”

I turned to Father Jean. “Is there no way to deal with it? Can we not remove it? Can the Vatican not exorcize it? Relocating an entire town isn’t viable.”

Father Jean shook his head. “Only despair awaits one close to it.”

I couldn’t accept this so easily. I walked up to the torch. However, just as I was about to be an arm’s length away from it, my clothes set on fire and the heat scorched my skin. I took two steps back, nearly stumbling to my ass, thankfully I caught myself before that.

“No mortal can touch it. Perhaps the Pope could; however, we cannot bring his eminence here for such a matter. He is too busy dealing with the outcome of the devil’s descent.”

No, even if this flame burnt here, nothing had come of it. “Can’t we simply prevent anyone from entering this space? Why must we evacuate the town?”

“You don’t understand,” said Father Jean. “Nowhere such a torch appeared has anything, but destruction descended."

I took a step closer to Father Jean. “Please, I’m sure you can understand. At least hold on for a month. I can prepare something in that time. Otherwise, the neighbouring lords will treat us as nothing but a bunch of refugees to be exploited.” Father Jean, being the second son of a local baron should understand my words.

He shook his head. “Although I understand your perspective, I cannot go against an order of the holy sea. No one is allowed here. I must write a letter to the bishop. And do not worry, a holy decree stating to aid anyone affected by a demonic flame has already been enacted. You can rest at ease.”

Father walked towards the door which led out the courtyard, however, as he reached for the doorknob, his hands froze, and he turned around before walking to the fire. “What’s wrong Father?” I asked. However, his skin caught on fire. He turned around and his lips, from which boiling red blood flowed, mimed the word “Run.”

I stumbled back. The devil truly had appeared. I ran back, however, just as I reached for the door. I too could no longer control my body. However, instead of turning back to the fire I froze in place. I fought and screamed to try and regain control. However, my yells couldn’t escape my mind.

I could do no more than fall asleep.

 

 

 

 

1