Crimson 04-07
194 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crimson:

 

After a few days of healing up. I felt much better and went to work on restoring the little walled village that I discovered. As for food, the gardens and fields yielded quite a few good vegetables. The goats weren't half bad once they were cooked.

 

I assumed the only reason the herd hadn't been eaten was the smell of dragon in the area. The big cats knew to stay away from this area.

 

I was still cleaning out the building that appeared to be a public bath house. Which was slimy work from all the algae or mold that had built up. Some of the gardens were now partly free of weeds. Even indoors, I could hear sounds or smell anything from the outside world.

I smelled a female person and heard her soft footsteps.

 

Maybe, someone had tracked me here. Suspecting a trap, I left the bathhouse using the morning shadows as much as possible. It wouldn't surprise me if the female walking alone was bait.

 

At first sight, I thought she was a child given her size. Then, I realized she was a young woman. Barely a teenager, yet old enough to be considered an adult. She walked with the tired steps of someone who came a long way with a lot of stress on their mind.

 

Sniffing the air, I detected no other people around and watched her from my hiding spot.

I took in her ragged maid uniform and what appeared to be a metal collar around her neck. She was the first dark hair, dark slanted eye girl I had seen in this world so far. Focusing my eyes I looked closer at the girl's wrists and what little I could see of her ankles.

 

The scars were there and faint. Now I knew what to look for. I saw the whip marks on her back peeking over the open back side of her dress. The girl walked on and I followed staying out of her sight. Honestly, I think I could have walked behind her and she have not noticed me. Her steps were dragging now and she looked from one ruined stone home to another. Clearly, looking for a half decent place to rest.

 

Then she entered into one home and I heard the splashing of water inside. Recalling my memory I remembered that house had a stone tub that was still intact.

 

No doubt in my mind the girl was taking a good drink and dunking her head into the water for relief. The jungle heat didn't bother me as much. For a person, I imagine it was hell at times during the hottest parts of the day.

 

As I listened from outside the girl breathing changed and I got closer. Carefully, I peaked in through a window devoid of glass and saw her asleep on the floor near the stone tub.

 

Her back was to me and I got a better look at the scars on her back where the dress didn't cover her.

 

I had an idea and quickly walked away. Once I was sure she couldn't hear me I lifted off the ground. I flew back to my cave home. I found a few baskets a day ago that were still usable and stored some fresh fruit in them.

 

Using my mouth I picked up the basket and carried it back to the home with the stone tub.

Quietly, I crept up to the doorway. Just inside the home, I dropped the wooden basket on the floor.

 

I retreated out of sight and waited from inside a home across the street. Only part of the roof had fallen in. I tucked myself into the darkest shadow that I could. At some point, I taken a nap and waking. At first, I feared that I missed the girl leaving.

 

As I listened, I heard her breathing slowly just across the road.

 


 

Luanda:

 

Luanda awoke with a jerk not knowing where she was or why it was so late in the day. It was the fear of her master's short whip stinging her back that startled her until she remember that she had ran away last night.

 

She vaguely recalled walking here and finding the wonderful tub of cool drinking water.

As she turned over she spotted the fruit basket and jumped up on her feet. Luanda was looking around fearfully.

 

Breathing hard, she looked left and right for someone. Walking forward she eyed the fruit basket then looked out the square holes where the windows used to be. Then she edged herself around the basket and glance at both ends of the street.

 

No one was in sight and she had heard nothing while she slept. Thinking about it she must have been in a deep sleep not to hear someone.

 

It confused Luanda if someone else was here. Why were they hiding from a slave of all people. Just maybe, she thought there was another escaped slave here hiding. If she got caught they only find her living here alone. Maybe, the other slave was staying away from her for their own safety.

 

Luanda study the fruit for a short while then peeled it with her fingers. Once she taken her first bite she couldn't help herself. Only the cores and seeds remained once she was done.

Luanda thought about a morning bath, but what if whoever was here was a man. Instead she washed her arms and face a bit in the stone tub and started exploring more of the walled village she found.

 

She stayed out in the open areas jumping at every little sound at first. It didn't take her long to discovered a few gardens and fields had been picked at. Luanda gathered her courage to take a quick peak inside the bath house near the river.

 

Someone had been cleaning in here and fairly recently by her guess. She quickly exit the building in fear of being cornered inside. A few times, Luanda thought she could sense someone watching her from a distance. She walked the empty streets in fear at first, but relaxed as time went by.

 

If someone meant her harm. It would have happen while she slept and so helpless.

She thought about walking up the stone hill to the mine, but decided not too. It was another possible spot to be cornered. In the end, she decided the village was big enough for two. She stay a while and leave whoever was here alone.

 

Luanda slept in a different house this time and stay closer to the front gate. If needed she could make a run for the lower parts of the wall. She could easily climb over those areas and flee into the jungle. It scared her thinking about escaping that way, but it was better then being back in chains or back under her master's roof.

 

Luanda stayed awake late into the night and accidentally drifted off. She awoke to a nightmare.

 

Sitting in the house's doorway was a dragon. Small for its kind, but the size of a large dog.

Luanda brandished an old knife she found in one of the homes at the dragon.

 

“Sta...stay back. ” Luanda said trembling with fear.

 

She watched as the creature bent down and nudge a new fruit basket in her direction.

 

“It...it was you? ” Luanda asked and watched as the creature tilted it's head not understanding her words.

 

Something in her expression or tone crossed over into understanding.

 

The dragon nodded and nudged the basket a bit closer to her.

 

Slowly, Luanda reached out and snatched the basket away. The little red dragon stayed where he was laying down in the doorway. Blocking her exit that way, but studying her with intense eyes.

 

Luanda looked at the window openings and realized he couldn't cut her off from both sides at once. She could faint one way then dive out the other way.

 

“Better not be trying to fatten me up for slaughter, later. ” Luanda said using the knife to peel some of the fruit.

 

The dragon took interest and she tossed a bit or two as she ate. He easily snatched every bit out of the air with no problem. Luanda laughed for the first time in months. The happy sound catching herself off guard.

 

Luanda studied her hands and dirty clothes.

 

“I need to make use of the bath house. ” Luanda said making a shooing gesture with her hands.

 

This dragon understood almost at once and started walking directly for the bath house. Luanda followed him and she was shock how smart this beast was.

 

The dragon laid down in the street and Luanda made her way inside looking back once. If someone had asked her what the dragon was doing. She would have answered he was guarding her from harm by keeping watch.

 

Luanda stripped and washed her clothes first then laid them out to dry. She carefully submerged herself into a pool of water that had the least amount of algae floating on the surface. The cool water felt wonderful and she felt much cleaner now. Luanda soaked in the water for a while. After she got out, she wiped away as much water as she could.

 

Luanda redressed herself then walked back outside. She wasn't surprised to see her new dragon friend waiting on her. He had been napping in the middle of the street. The moment she stepped out. He sprung up stretching much like a dog. He looked at her if waiting for her to lead the way.

 

Together they explored more of the village and whenever she went inside a home he stayed outside.

 

Luanda realized the dragon was giving her space. Luanda looked for anything useful, but everything nearly rusted away or fell apart years ago. The dragon watched perhaps already figuring out what she was doing.

 

Luanda started to talk to him having a entire one sided conversation.

 

“You know, it only occurred to me that you should have a name. What was the name of the last dragon that lived in these parts. Oh yeah, he had been called Crimson. ” Luanda said.

 

“Luanda. ” Luanda said patting her chest.

 

“Crimson. ” Luanda said pointing at him.

 

Crimson growled with pleasure and spread his wings. Luanda guessed he liked his name.

 

“Come here, Crimson. ” Luanda called out and patted her leg. Crimson slowly walked up to her and she laid her hand on his head gently patting it.

 

Luanda ended up back at the house with the stone tub. It was a shorter walk to the river and had a nice yard with a garden out back. As the days passed she got into her own routine. She gathered food, cleaned and sometimes cooked the meat her dragon friend brought to her.

Luanda never imagined she have a friend she trusted this much. One night, she was lying down looking up at the stars. Crimson was beside her curled up. Luanda loved her new life of freedom. She slept, worked and ate whenever she wanted.

 

Luanda reached up to rubbed at her iron collar. She was thinking, If only she had some tools on hand to remove her collar.

 

Crimson got up and sniffed at the collar. He made a menacing growl at the metal then nudged her to roll over on her side.

 

“Crimson, what are you doing? ” Luanda said rolling to one side and watched from the corner of her eye.

 

Crimson pinned her down with one limb careful not to use his sharp claws. With his other set of claws they came down slowly.

 

“Wait...” Luanda said starting to panic then heard a ping sound. Crimson's clawed limb moved off her shoulder.

 

Luanda sat up and as she did. The iron collar fell away from her neck. On the floor next to Crimson was the thick metal pin that had held her collar together.

 

Luanda burst into tears and hugged Crimson around the neck careful of his horns.

 

“Thank you. ” Luanda said through tears of joy.

 

The next night, she prepared a large meat dinner just for Crimson using some herbs she found growing wild. As for her slave collar, she tossed it into the river where it could rust away into nothing. She held onto the metal pin as a keep sake and useful tool.

 


 

Crimson:

 

I filled my stomach with Luanda's cooking enjoying the taste of it. A while ago, she came here smelling of fear and sorrow. I knew, there had to be others like Luanda out there willing to trust me.

 

I taken to leaving Luanda more on her own as time went on. She seemed very happy living here with me. I took a more active interest in watching travelers coming and going on the road leading to the port town. I scouted the area around my new home and discovered a cove not far away by flying.

 

Part of me was on the look out for a certain brightly colored wagon. Instead, I spotted a different wagon that caught my interest. The sound and smell of it drew my attention. I figured, it was a merchant's wagon with stuff for trade or coins.

 

Unlike the other merchant wagons that I had seen. This one appeared to be in a sorry state. The wheels squeaked loudly, the horses were old nags and the outside paint looked faded.

The only person that I could smell and see was an old looking man. Lucky for me, he had setup his camp in a clearing close to the unused road. I flew back to my cave home and picked up a chest I could lift.

 

When I returned, I found the old man had opened the side of his wagon taking inventory of his stock. The opened side now looked like a market stall.

 

As a flew over head the old nags started snorting with fear. The old man walked around to see what the horses were carrying on about.

 

With a snort of his own, he returned and looked quite shocked seeing me staring at the side of his opened wagon. The chest that I carried with me was between my two front legs. I was pretty sure the old guy didn't see it yet.

 

I slowly turned to the old man who looked on the verge of dying from fright then slowly turned my head back at his wagon.

 

The old guy said something and turned out his pockets. My best guess was that he was showing me he didn't have any gold on him. At the same time, he was inching away from me.

 

I knew, I had to keep his attention. Using my claws, I opened the chest. The small chest was brimming with silver coins. With my other clawed limb I pointed to the items I wanted.

A set of cooking pots, bundled up robes, and a set of sturdy looking knives for cooking. The old guy licked his lips once and looked at the coins for a long time.

 

I repeated my actions again and finally the old guy caught the hint. Suddenly, the old guy's tone changed to a friendly one and he fetched each item.

 

Out of kindness, I figure the old guy didn't have too many years left to live. Plus, I needed the chest to be almost depleted of coins to carry my purchased items back.

 

How his mouth dropped open when I nearly empty the small chest of coins. I backed away and the old guy filled it with what I wanted into the small chest. He even closed it for me securing it using the latch.

 

This time, he backed away and I step forward grabbing the chest by the sides where the metal handles were.

 

With powerful beats of my wings, I lifted into the air and out of sight as the sun was setting.

When I returned to the walled village. I gently drop the chest on the door step to Luanda's home. I'm pretty sure she was asking me what it was, but a few seconds later she undid the latch to see for herself.

 

Her smile alone was enough of a reward for me, but she ended up hugging me again. So far, it rained very little and this was good because Luanda's home didn't have a roof just yet. I decided in the morning. I will start on fixing up her new home.

 

When the sun rose up, I went to work.

 

Using my claws, I started taking down trees just outside the walls. I could easily strip the bark, take down trees and cut them into very rough plank boards. I notched them next and then set them into place. If the weather turned truly nasty she would lose part of her roof. What we really needed were nails and a hammer. Then something water proof to cover the roof with. For now, I used large palm fronds in an over lapping pattern. Luanda soon joined me in my repair efforts. She figured out a trick in intertwining them together.

 

Then one day, Luanda hit upon an idea on her own. She been collecting my old scales that I been shedding.

 

Over time, I did learned a few more words through a form of hand signs. She asked me to breathe fire on the reversed side of my scales. We did this in the middle of the street with nothing but stone around us.

 

It took a bit more fire then I thought, but my scales could be fused together. The upper part of the scale was the weakest so thick nails could be used there. On my own skin the scales over lapped. My scales were lighter then shale and I considered the other uses for the scales.

Shields, armor, and maybe even a clothing that could be fire proof.

 

Our little village of two was coming along nicely. The bath house was decently cleaned, we had a nice garden out back and we kept the hanging flowers along the inside of the wall mostly for the smell.

 

Using leftover wood, Luanda now had a crude door. Really, it was just a set of boards tied together leaning against her home. I settled down for another afternoon's rest.

 

 

Thorin:

 

Thorin didn't give the stolen coins a second thought over the past few days. He didn't even bother reporting it or cared about those lost coins. Part of him was more concern for the slave girl. It took a lot of courage or maybe she was just foolish to run off into the jungle that night.

 

He had heard the horse she stolen had come back missing it's rider. Everyone assumed she had been eaten by a big cat after that bit of news.

 

What did interest Thorin the most was the old man everyone was calling the Mad Merchant. Thorin just happened to be in the Inn's common room drinking with his brother when the man arrived.

 

The old guy came in with a swagger that Thorin hadn't seen in years in an old timer like that. He asked for the best drink and announced to all in the room. That he was retiring from being a traveling merchant.

 

Then the old guy told a story which got a lot of jeers or laughs from most, but not Thorin and his younger brother, Wilhelm.

 

After sharing a few drinks with the old guy. The old timer re-told the story again with more details to Thorin. Thorin was pretending he was going to add it into the show.

 

Thorin wished the old guy well on his dream of buying a house near the beach with a pretty slave girl to serve him drinks.

 

As for the story of The Dragon and the Tiger during their performance. They had gather quite the crowd over the past few days. The coins poured in and they stocked up on supplies.

 

Thorin returned to the gun smith shop to buy a pair of single shot pistols. The gun smith pleased to see him back so soon. The gun smith also offered to throw in a third one at a discount. Thorin accepted the offer and Thea seemed pleased to have one of her own.

 

“I do believe that's everything. ” Thorin said pleased with all the supplies they had loaded the wagon with.

 

Thea took notice of the farming tools since it meant her husband was starting to take her serious about settling down in one spot.

 

“I think your plan is crazy, but if there is a chance that Biville is safe. We can invite more of our people to join us. ” Thea said as she took up her spot next to him by the driver's seat.

They rode out early from the town and passed the clearing where they first spotted the dragon. With nearly half the day gone they made it to the fork in the road.

 

“I will try to be back before night fall. Give me three days at the most. ” Thorin said to his wife and gave his children a hug before leaving with the extra horse he purchased. His rifle was slung over his back with a metal ball loaded ready to fire.

 

After the first down tree which he jumped with the horse. The road into Biville was mostly clear of fallen logs or large branches. They appeared to be dragged off to the sides or missing.

 

Thorin came to the walls and the open gap where a gate should be. Gathering his courage he entered into the village and looked up at Stone Hill where most people said old Crimson slept.

 

At first, Thorin saw nothing. Then he paused his horse's trot to look at a side garden that looked tended too. Missing vegetables and lack of weeds told him someone lived here.

Then in the distant sound of goats bleating caught his attention. Heading that way, Thorin spotted one home that looked somewhat repaired. It had palm fronds as roofing material.

 

“I'm not going back.” a female voice called out and Thorin looked about for the source. His best guess was it was coming from around the corner.

 

Then a deep growling sound came from behind him. The horse snorted with fright and Thorin was doing his best to maintain control.

 

There was the dragon looking a touch bigger then he remembered. Upon making eye contact the dragon stop growling and gave out a little friendly roar. Thorin felt a bit relief the dragon had remembered him.

 

Thorin dismounted and tied up the horse being mindful of the horse's legs.

 

“It's good you remember a friend. ” Thorin said holding out his hands to show he was unarmed and no where near his hunting rifle.

 

The sound of steps behind him made him turn and there was the escape slave girl every one thought was dead. She wore simple robes and no longer had her slave collar around her neck.

 

“Luanda, wasn't it? ” Thorin asked hearing her name a few time from the complaining Inn owner. How the man whined about losing his slave.

 

“If you come for your money, I can pay you back with a few extra coins more. I'm not going back. ” Luanda said holding up a pair of cooking knives.

 

“Honestly, I could care less about the stolen coins. Meeting that dragon improved my coin purse greatly. I would have smuggled you out for free. ” Thorin said boldly now there were no towns guards or close minded town folk around.

 

“You know, Crimson? ” Luanda said looking at the dragon briefly. Her fire breathing friend was relaxed and apparently trying to follow their conversation.

 

“By the Dark One, girl. You named him after one of the most fearsome dragons in history. ” Thorin said with a chuckle.

 

“Well, if people heard a dragon called Crimson still lived here they stay away. ” Luanda said defensively.

 

“That is a good idea. You did that? ” Thorin asked pointing at the roof with a careful eye.

“We did it. Crimson is a good dragon to have around. ” Luanda answered getting more relaxed now.

 

“Tell you what. I will put down my rifle out here and how about we step inside into the shade. I came alone and only promised my family to return before nightfall. ” Thorin offered and Luanda nodded.

 

She gave the okay signal to Crimson and he tapped his claws to signal back he understood.

 

“It's nice. ” Thorin said out of politeness. Seeing no real furniture and saw her bed was made out of fronds for padding. Judging from the support beams above him he saw once there had been a second floor. The fire must have turned most of the thinner floor boards to ash.

 

“It's good enough. Why are you here? ” Luanda said sitting on the bed while keeping her knives within easy reach.

 

Thorin took a seat on the stone tub as he watched the dragon come in. The dragon sat in the doorway and could easily block his path to the girl. Thorin looked at the girl seeing how young she truly was. A woman for sure, but barely by most people's standards.

 

“Well, I came to scout out the place. I figured if that dragon, Young Crimson was here. Then it means old Crimson is dead. By common law this village is considered a free territory to be claimed by settlers. My family is pretty tired of traveling around the lands looking for a good place to live. We want this village to be our new home. ” Thorin explained and watched as the young woman's face changed to an expression of deep thinking.

 

Thorin study the room's contents with his eyes while he waited for her answer. Seeing the small chest with extra clothing and the glinting of silver coins. Cooking pots were neatly stacked by the fireplace.

 

“We should asked the new lord of this new free territory. Lord Crimson, you think his family can stay? ” Luanda asked him making hand signs her people had for those hard of hearing.

 

Thorin almost chuckled at the idea, but thought better of it. He wanted to stay friendly with the girl who befriended a dragon of all creatures. Crimson nodded and pointed to other houses.

 

“My lord said yes and welcomes others to come. ” Luanda answered having a fair idea of what Crimson wanted most of the time. Luanda was a bit fearful of other people coming, but as good as Crimson was as a friend. It be nice to talk to other people after so many days alone. Plus, Crimson would protect her from being made into a slave again.

 

“Don't worry, I want a place just past the river so my black smith hammering won't bother most people. A bit of farm land too for growing. ” Thorin said getting up with a stretch.

 

Luanda looked happy with news of Thorin's family would be joining the village. Thorin made his way back to his family with the dragon circling over head.

 

After moving the first log and moving the wagon pass it. They placed the log back to block the road behind them. By the time they entered the village it was getting close to late evening.

 

Thorin had explained every thing and as for their first night they split the group up. Some slept in an empty house while others preferred the wagon. The next day, Thorin went exploring and found a good home. The location was idea and the previous owner was clearly a black smith judging from the large anvil left behind in a detached building.

 

The rest of the adults were preparing for repair jobs and gathering more food.

 

Thorin found Isabel, Reynard, and Muriel with Lord Crimson. Apparently the dragon had a real soft spot for children. Little Muriel was getting to ride the dragon's back. While Isabel was helping keeping her balance. Young Reynard was happily chatting away to the dragon. Little Muriel was holding tight to the dragon's horns as the dragon carefully walked a few paces then slowly turned around.

 

Thorin called the kids to him and assigned them chores to do every day. Thorin took the time to asked the dragon to see his home. A short horse ride later and climbing some rocks. He marveled at the sight before him. Besides the giant skull, bones and scales of the previous dragon. There were tarnish coins at his feet. The vaults were impressive and clearly the dragon had the strength to open the smaller ones.

 

Uncut gems, coins and other treasures gleamed in the weak light. Thorin knew all these riches would attract trouble. On his way back down, he thought about how to deal with the treasure they were sitting on.

 

Days turned into weeks and before long they had their new home ready. There was a second home well on it's way. The roofing material was the most striking feature to the new homes so far. Large dragon scales now covered the roofs taken from the cave. There was plenty more left for more homes and the front gates.

 

Carack's family would live in the second home right next door. Which was closer to Stone Hill and the houses clearly designed for dwarfs. Carack showing interested in the Inn in that direction.

 

Poor Wilhelm’s home would be last to be fixed up. He had taken an interest in wood working having found he had a talent for it. Seeing the roughly cut boards the dragon could do had annoyed him.

 

Borrowing some cutting tools from Thorin. He made the boards much better to use. His future residence would be the house just across the river from them. Just a short walk over a stone bridge. Thorin's children were pretty good at finding old metal he could reforge into nails, hinges, and other useful items.

 

The dragon was beyond helpful with bringing them plenty of meat to eat, raw pulling power, and leading them to gardens with good plants. Another thing, the dragon had was ideas that sped up work time and made every day things easy.

 

Thorin watched with amazement whenever the dragon drew something on the ground with his claws.

 

One idea were these coiled pieces of metal that made riding in a wagon less bumpy.

 

Then, there was that idea for a repeating pistol that used this weird spinning wheel and new metal shape bullet. At the moment it was just on paper, but one day he liked to work it out.

After Wilhelm’s home would be nearly completed. Carack and Ysmay decided to take the wagon to spread the word about Biville. Fendrel, wanted to stay behind and work with Wilhelm on making furniture.

3