Crimson 08-11
209 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crimson:

 

Months later, yet another group of Traveling People came in . Thorin, Luanda and Crimson with little Muriel riding his back would greet any new arrivals. Seeing a little girl riding a fearsome dragon seemed to put a lot of people at ease.

 

As Luanda's belly started to show she was with child. I had grown to the size of a pony now.

 

“Welcome visitors to Biville. We hope you stay under the new rule of Lord Crimson. My name is Luanda and I'm the voice of our lord who is unable to speak our language, but understands nearly everything we say. ” Luanda said all this while making hand gestures she had taught me.

 

Thorin would then help his daughter off of my back then introduce himself as the local black smith. The leader of the small group came walking up with his family.

 

“This is my wife, Rose and my young son, Asher. I'm Xalvador. I mostly deal in coin exchange and keeping accounts among us travelers. ” Xalvador said and kept darting his eyes at me. Seeing only a dangerous dragon at first.

 

“We could use a coin master. ” Thorin said.

 

“The former Crimson tore down the back wall to the only bank building. We have plans to fix it. ” Luanda said and put her hand on my shoulder.

 

Little Asher reached over and grabbed hold one of my horns. I went still so not to harm the little baby boy. His mother, Rose quickly pry the boy's hand loose.

 

“Sorry, Lord Crimson. Young children grab at everything. ” Rose said quickly looking from me then at Luanda.

 

I made a low purring growl and Luanda nodded with a warm smile.

 

“Lord Crimson doesn't mind. He adores children and even protected one from a tiger once when he was much smaller in size. Our local black smith can tell you more on that story. Please, feel free to look around our town. If you see a house not taken. Come talk to me if you wish to stay. ” Luanda said a bit louder so her voice carried among all who were listening.

Luanda watched as other people left wagons and some dismounted. Most were looking at the ruined homes appraising them. Others gave looks to one another showing no interest in staying.

 

Luanda gave them a quick tour just by walking down the main street. She pointed in the general direction where things were. She also explained the laws they followed.

 

“No person will be a slave or own one in Biville. Any slave that comes here will be freed. ” Luanda said loudly.

 

“There's a lot of work to do in rebuilding this place. How are we going to do it without slaves? ” One man called out and Luanda saw others agreed with his reasoning.

 

“By your own two arms and the sweat of your brow. I know, what people do to slaves. I'm carrying the child of a man I hate. When he wasn't ordering me around or raping me. He left these on my back. ” Luanda said and turned her back on them then lowered her robe just enough so they all got a look at her whip scarred upper back.

 

Thorin spoke up next.

 

“The Voice and I agree on this. This was the first law that Lord Crimson wanted. All decent people are free to live here without chains or collars. I'm sure Lord Crimson, would be happy to discuss it, one on one in a locked room with each person if you disagree. ” Thorin spoke up using his stage voice that he often use to get people's full attention.

 

Nearly all jumped with fright as I let out a snarling growl that made their neck hairs stand. I stopped once that I had their full attention.

 

“No objections? ” Luanda asked and saw those who wouldn't be staying. She was fine with that. She started walking encouraging the others to follow her down the road. Most did while others stayed behind. Those people would regret their decision that day when they came back to visit friends. For the town would be a thriving place in the future.

 

“Stone Hill is Crimson's home. Off limits, unless you been invited. ” Thorin said sharing a look with Luanda.

 

“The larger homes are for families with children. The local mill is still unclaimed, and those with craftsmen skills will find most of those places empty. Our public bathhouse is open for use. A single copper coin is the price for now. We have an honor system here until we can get official staff in place. ” Luanda said stopping in front of the building and laying a hand on a wooden box attached to the wall. A strong box lock on the front to prevent sticky hands from helping themselves.

 

The tour ended at the bridge as Luanda pointed out the wood working shop and the blacksmith shop.

 

As Luanda walked away with me. Thorin went back to work on finishing the gate hinges. His brother, Wilhelm already had the long thick boards ready. Later on, with some help from the new people they got the village gate into place. The outer gate covered with dragon scales making it fireproof and very tough. Swords and axes would chip against the older dragon scales as well.

 

Nearly two thirds of Xalvador's group stayed. They went to work collecting wood, repairing homes and rebuilding the only bank building.

 

It had been only a week since the new people arrived. I watched with interest as they worked and I did one odd job a day. One day, I help haul wood like a draft horse, Fly back and forth to deliver all of the old dragon scales from my cave.

 

I could see that we only have enough for the main businesses roofs and any left overs would be used as shields or armored doors. I was on my way to the guard towers on each side of the gate where bells had been placed. Some of the traveling people had brought them. We only recently setup an alarm system and spread the word what the number of rings would mean.

 

One bell ring meant visitors, two was a wild dangerous animal spotted in the jungle, and three meant danger to all. My saddle bags were a recent addition and currently empty.

Today we were putting the back gate into place. I was far faster flying most of the scales from the front to the far end of the village. Currently, Young Reynard was riding on my back helping me by loading the dragon scales into the bags for me.

 

His outfit choice was more amusing. He had knight like armor on over his work clothes. Which was made from scrap wood from his uncle's place. His cousin had went so far to making him a wooden sword and shield so he could pretend to be a knight.

 

“Make way for Reynard the Knight, dragon rider! ” Reynard happily shouted as we landed near the front gate. The adults were amused by the boy's antics. Fetching the leftover dragon scales there wasn't a chore for him. It was a noble quest in young Reynard's mind.

I smelled the danger and heard it coming before anyone else.

 

I used my tail to tap at the buckles of the saddle bags and Reynard understood my meaning. The children were quick learners and begged Luanda to teach them a few hand signing words at a time. Reynard undid each one and I was free of the saddle bags. I jumped to the guard tower. Startling the man on watch and using my tail to tapped loudly on the bell three times.

People near by stop what ever they were doing and grabbed anything that could be used as a weapon.

 

In the other guard tower the man on duty. Rang his bell three more times then paused. He repeated the action until he was sure that all had heard it.

 

I moved to the other side looking over the edge at the road below. There was a new smell I didn't know. Also there was the sound of clanking armor, weapons, and heavy footsteps.

Young Reynard joined me on one side his wooden sword raised if ready to fight.

 

Luanda came up the steps panting and her belly heavy with child. My best guess she was half way there to becoming a mother. She was dressed in regal like robes with some dragon skin armor hidden in the folds. I thought, she looked like a high priestess.

 

“I hear something. ” Young Reynard said and pretty soon the adults heard it as well.

 

I watched as short men came into view. These people must have been dwarfs. No taller then a ten year old boy, but long beards on their faces. Sturdy looking arms and legs swinging. Marching along and in front of a wagon that I knew on sight. Carack with a shiner on his eye was driving the wagon. Ysmay beside him with her hands bound while she rested them on her lap.

 

There appeared to be a dwarf leader on the seat next to her with a bandaged arm. Most wore armored while carrying large swords or axes. There were over two dozen all together. There were even dwarf women with the group.

 

The Dwarf leader stood up and shouted for a halt. All noise stopped as they paused a short distance away from the now closed gate. The dwarf leader not looking pleased to see the dragon scale covered gate blocking their way. He looked at the walls next and smiled. Clearly, he saw the weak points.

 

“State your business, master dwarf. We are peaceful people ready to defend our homes. ” Luanda said proudly and strength in her tone. Only her upper body in view while the outer wall blocked the rest of her from view.

 

By this time Thorin had joined them in the guard tower.

 

The dwarf leader gave me a hard expression seeing my face. Looking amused at the girl speaking and little boy wearing wooden armor. Only Thorin got a respectful glance.

 

“I come to claim what is rightfully mine. Not to speak to children or look upon the fowl sight of a little pet dragon. I'm Dunan Malore. Open your gates and stay out of our way. ” Dunan Malore said with an expression that could break stone.

 

I breathed out a bit of fire causing Dunan to flinch a little. He raised up his shield a touch if expecting fire to rain down. His group raised their weapons as well. All he got was a small wash of warm air.

 

“Dunan Malore was it? You do well to show respect to our village lord, Crimson. Protector of children and tiger slayer. I hate to see Dwarf killer added to his titles. What is it you have come to claim? ” Luanda said knowing full well I wouldn't burn Ysmay or Carack to death just to kill this blowhard dwarf.

 

“The treasure that was stolen by the true Crimson from my father's fathers. Every gem, coin and treasured item belongs to my people in that hill of stone yonder. ” Dunan said and for the first time I heard the passion in his voice.

 

“So, you come here with hostages and my kin at your side. My father was a black smith by trade and always told me that dwarfs had more honor then that. ” Thorin said noticing the bloody bandages on Dunan's arm. His sister's knife work no doubt in his mind. Judging how Carack was sitting he taken a good beating. Dwarfs tended to asked questions the hard way.

 

“So the hellcat is your sister. These two were merely our guides. One way or the other they will not be harmed. You have my word. You have heard my terms” Dunan said looking at Ysmay then Carack before returning his attention to the main trio on the wall.

 

“Give us sometime to discuss the matter among ourselves. ” Luanda said and stepped back from the edge to talk to Thorin.

 

I kept an eye on the dwarfs while listening to them talk.

 

“As my father use to say. We are between the hammer and anvil on this one. We can't hand over everything. We should bargain to give some back as reparations. They lost homes and kin here long ago. We can't hope to fight them and win. I have always heard one dwarf warrior was as good as ten knights on the battlefield. ” Thorin said.

 

“But we have Lord Crimson to fight with us. ” Luanda said ready to defend her new home village.

 

“Luanda, he might take a dozen out if he is lucky given his current size. Our lines will break and men will die. Any fight will leave many widows and orphan children behind. They will take the treasure anyway. ” Thorin explained to the young woman.

Luanda's hand went to her belly were her unborn child was.

 

As they talked, I was thinking hard. If only, we had the dwarfs on our side. They make fierce protectors and hard workers judging from those muscular arms.

 

I moved back and got Luanda's attention. Using my claws I made various hand motions she taught me to speak in her hand sign language.

 

The idea was insane, but just maybe. I even had an idea what she could say to this Dunan Malore. Clearly, Luanda didn't like men telling her what to do, but she was wise enough to listen to good advice.

 

Luanda returned to the wall to speak.

 

“Dunan Malore, we heard your claim and deny it. By the right of common law, we laid claim first upon these abandon lands. It was the previous Crimson who wronged your people, but we have a deal for your people to earn your treasure back. ” Luanda said seeing the shocked expression on his face.

 

“You would bring death upon your people. That wee dragon won't save you. Never let it be said I'm not unreasonable. Speak your peace, girl. ” Dunan Malore said and I may have snorted a little at his last statement about being unreasonable.

 

Luanda climbed up onto the ledge of the wall so all could see she was heavy with child.

I joined her and young Reynard with help from his father held the boy on the edge.

 

“Our village needs strong warriors to protect our lives, homes and enforce our noble laws. Give your word of honor and vows to stand by us against threats to our peaceful way of living. We will pay you for you work, give you shelter and full rights to restart the mine. Otherwise, your name will go down in history as slayer of children, young girls with unborn innocents and the mighty slayer of a dragon barely out of the egg. We will fight and Lord Crimson will do his very best to kill you first on this day. ” Luanda said thinking maybe Crimson's insults at the end was a bit too much.

 

One female dwarf came up to Dunan Malore and spoke to him in a low voice. She looked up at Luanda's swollen belly. Thanks to my dragon's hearing, I heard every word.

 

“Husband, there is no honor in killing the innocent. You would shame our fathers and mothers if we were to start a fight here. I have grown tired of snow and ice. These lands are rich and we will have room to grow our numbers and send word to our kin to live here. King Angmar can go fuck himself. The next time his men come to collect taxes. He will find our previous homes empty and the Northern mines worthless” Mrs. Malore said to her husband.

Dunan sat there thinking far too long for my liking. I watched narrowing my eyes as he glanced at me. One wrong move on his part and I was planning to roast him first. I just hoped Ysmay and Carack would have enough sense to jump for it.

 

“If there is a dwarf among us who doesn't agree with my words. Go with my blessing. I Dunan Malore swear upon my word of honor. I will protect Biville and it's citizens under the agreed terms. We need homes for those who will take the same vow as me. Payment for our services and I want the blacksmith's workshop as my own. ” Dunan Malore said and behind him. Every dwarf bent the knee and lowered their weapons.

 

Thorin nodded happily to sacrifice his workshop including his tools for peace. Crimson had given up part of his home just now. Luanda had just bargained away the untold gems and rare metals under Stone Hill.

 

“We accept your terms and welcome you into Biville. ” Luanda said loudly and I caught tears pricking at her eyes. I felt pretty much the same feeling of relief myself. I would be on guard all the same until I felt we could trust them more fully.

 

I reached up and tapped the bell once with a claw. Catching my meaning. The guard in the other tower did the same. We had just announced the danger had passed, so we hoped.

With a slow creak the main gate opened. I flew down while my human friends took the stairs.

The tension was high as the dwarfs came in a more relaxed manner. Once the wagon stopped. Ysmay and Carack got down to join us. Ysmay's hands no longer bound.

Dunan Malore and his wife step forward after setting their weapons aside.

 

“I understand, it's a human custom to shake hands when deals are made. ” Dunan said gruffly and shook hands with Thorin and Luanda.

 

I raised one front clawed limb slowly and curled two of my side claws back so not to alarm the dwarf. He paused for a second and did the same hand shake motion with me.

 

“So, where can a thirsty dwarf get a good strong drink? ” Dunan asked and this seemed to break all the tension.

 

“Follow me, Master Malore. Our local drinking Inn isn't much to look at, but you will get plenty of fresh air and a nice view of the sky above. ” Thorin said and the rest of the dwarfs followed.

 

Something about their mannerisms told me they were here to live peacefully with us now. Reynard was still by my side so I pointed to the ground. He nodded as he understand that I wanted him to wait for me here.

 

Ysmay and helped Carack back onto the wagon and they road home with Luanda's help.

I flew back home and picked up a small chest filled with uncut gems. Counting the stones I made sure there was two for each dwarf. I flew back carrying the chest with some uneasy flying, but made it to the only Inn in the village.

 

It had no doors, windows and the roof was cleared away to an open view of the sky.

 

What it did have was an open fire pit for cooking and long crude tables with logs for seats. Men and dwarfs sat mixed together toasting and talking. A good ending in my opinion after their first meeting.

 

With a small roar for people to clear the way. I came down to an open spot at the end of the table where Dunan Malore sat. His wife on the other side.

 

I lifted the chest with my limbs and it shook the table a little as it landed.

 

“What is this for? ” Dunan Malore asked looking at me then over at Thorin seated next to him.

 

“Lord Crimson likes to give a welcome gift to each new settler, Master Malore. Some take his coin and leave. Many others have stayed behind to live among us. I have a fine pair of dragon skin gloves that I use to handle hot cooking pots or in my forge work. You will need the money to get the mine started again. Tools, light stones, and food in your belly. ” Thorin explained and I nodded in agreement.

 

When Dunan Malore opened the chest he nodded. Quickly he counted them and looked at me.

 

“Ah, a fine gift and a good start to a lasting friendship. Once we start digging our own stones and metals. I will be the one earning coins. ” Dunan said and moved the box so the other dwarfs could see the uncut gems.

 

“Xalvador, is the man to talk to about exchanging gems for coins. We might even have a shop with a gem dealer around or you can travel to Port's Mouth. I'm sure there are plenty of men here willing to rent a horse and wagon to you or your men. ” Thorin said and I snorted at that.

 

Currently we had more wagons and horses then we needed. Some of the wagons were now even on the road picking up supplies from Port's Mouth to Biville.

 

I walked out of the inn and flew back to Reynard who waited for me. He strapped the saddle bags back on me and we went back to work. Reynard enjoying the flying as much as I did.

Later on, I got the full story on how Dunan Malore and his people ended up coming back to Biville. There were already traveling South when rumors of a younger dragon had been seen.

Dunan Malore got it into his head he could take the younger dragon's treasure with the people he had left. As luck would have it, Dunan Malore heard that Carack and Ysmay were spreading the word that Biville needed people. Dunan Malore knew right away old Crimson was dead and his treasure horde was up for grabs.

 

What Dunan didn't count on was the dragon having friends and those ready to fight.

To no one's surprise the dwarfs laid claim to the empty dwarf size houses close to the bottom mine entrance. Over time more dwarfs showed up and they had their own little community. Dunan Malore and his wife took the empty house just on the other side of Thorin's home. As we cleared out more trees to increase farming, Our village grew into a town that spread out over the area with nice wide streets. We even had an open market and traders came by wagon at least once a week.

 

Cut stones from the mines helped increased the height and length of our walls. I had a new idea and with Luanda's help. I walked about the market with her at my side. We toured the open market until I found what I wanted.

 

As my voice, she bargained for me and I was soon the proud owner of a map of the area. During my past flight patrols, I flew over a cove that looked deep enough to setup a dock. I steered our walk away from the busy market watching where I swung my tail.

 

When we came to the open back gates men were using horses to drag logs inside. I made the hand sign for Luanda to bring out the map. She found a cleared work table nearby and spread it out. I gently tapped the cove then pointed out of the back gate.

 

It was no accident that I picked this spot where the back gate was made. As the crow flies it was a straight path to the cove.

 

“You want a path, no a road to this cove here. Then what? Hold on. ” Luanda said figuring out what I really wanted. For a slave girl, she was very smart for her young adult age.

 

Then It occurred to me, I had no idea what kind of education she got, before or after being made into a slave. One thing, I was sure of. She could read people like a book.

 

“Docks, Am I right? ” Luanda said next and I nodded.

 

“It doesn't appear to be very big. I say four large ships at a time. ” Luanda said.

I held up my three claws and she nodded in understanding.

 

“So three ships at a time. I'm sure you can mark the straightest path with fire. Getting the road started will be easy. Plenty of grind up rocks from the mine and we can have the wood cutters start making a path. Wood won't be a problem and skill labor to make the docks. The only issue that I can see is men who can make the road. Everyone who can is working on repairing houses or improving our way of life. ” Luanda said looking a bit frustrated she couldn't work out on where to get the extra people.

 

I hated myself for the next suggestion, but she had to at least hear me out.

I tapped her wrists and then at her so my meaning was clear.

 

Luanda looked at her scarred wrists where chains had been once long ago. There was a brief expression of shock then she nodded in understanding.

 

“You want to bring in more of my people. More narrow eyes as slaves. ” Luanda said and I growled and snorted at the insulting name people sometimes called her Island People.

 

“What about law about no slaves in Biville? ” Luanda asked me.

 

Using one claw, I made the motion if removing a collar from her neck.

 

“You want to buy them then free them. Where would they live? ” Luanda asked me.

I motioned for the area the wood cutters were clearing. Where the stumps had been cleared. There were already foundations for future farm houses. Luanda understood then.

 

“We can extend the wall using standing logs. They need weapons being out this far away from everyone with only a wooden walls to keep the big cats away. ” Luanda said and watched as I lifted my tail then stabbed at the air with it.

 

“Spears will do nicely. Carack and Thorin can make the trip to Port's Mouth for us. They won't like it, but I will explain it to them. That we will be saving more lives then putting them in danger. We will give a lot of my people a fighting chance at a life of freedom. ” Luanda said with tears pricking at her eyes. She wiped them away then looked at me.

 

“There is something, I want to show you. Your not the only clever one around here. ” Luanda said and I followed her back to her home. Thankfully, I could still fit through her front doorway.

 

She pulled out something I thought it was a green robe at first then displayed it for my approval.

 

It was a flag with a green background and a red dragon. Under the dragon's feet was a broken chain. A symbol that meant no slaves here.

 

“Biville needs a proper flag. ” Luanda said and I nodded letting out a happy growl.

Looking at the bundles on the floor she had been busy making several flags and banners. I wondered what she did with her free time. When I didn't need her to translate for me. All those coins, I was paying her to be my voice were more then worth it in my mind.

 

 

Luanda:

 

The next day, while Crimson was helping moving logs. Luanda went to Thorin to speak with him.

 

Thorin loved the new flag of Biville and frowned at the idea of buying slaves until Luanda explained it all.

 

With Master Malore around getting all the big blacksmithing jobs. Thorin setup a new smaller shop now attached to his home. Thorin been filling in his time in making nails, hinges, and such. Isabel had even been helping him. Nails and hinges were easy once you got the molds in place. Reynard was happy pretending to be a knight on quests while delivering items to various job sites.

 

“I will help take off the chains once the slaves are here. We can build temporary shelters and set guards out there until the walls are in place. Let me talk to Carack away from his new dwarf style inn and we will spend a week away collecting the slaves. I have my own price for doing this task. One extra chest of gold coins for magic stones. I'm going to clean out the shop at Port's Mouth just before we leave. Don't worry, I will sell or donate the stones back to our people. ” Thorin said.

 

Thorin had the idea of making secure holders for the magic stones and using them in public areas. He donate or sell at a discount and raise up his name a notch higher in the public eye.

 

“Drinking fountains, the public bath house and street lights for night time are just a few useful places. I think, Lord Crimson would approve. ” Luanda said thinking about where the stones could be used. So far, they been using whatever magic stones people sold to them and candle lanterns for lighting.

 

Luanda left Thorin's home and made arrangements to have temporary shelters made. Then, she had some of the log haulers set aside their loads for later use.

 

Moving around so much was getting harder with each passing month. She had to take more breaks and wanted to eat the strangest fruits. In her old life, she cared little for those fruits.

Luanda spent the rest of the day picking out places where the flags or banners would be hanged. She was sure to visit Crimson and pass the message about the extra coin chest.

 

Sometime the next day, Thorin took two wagons loaded with what he needed. Carack now looking far better driving the second wagon.

 

A week later they returned and guided the covered wagons to the open area.

 

It broke part of Luanda's heart to see the slaves being off loaded. At the same time, she smiled when she saw entire families were still together. Luanda's mother was sold away years ago in another city far away and her father had been killed during a raid.

 

For their safety, the chains stayed on. Carack and Thorin secured the ends into stumps. The wagons must have been fit to bursting judging from the number of people that were now standing as they waited.

 

“My people, My name is Luanda. Once, I was a slave to a horrible man. One night many months ago I ran away, so my child could be born free. Under Lord Crimson's gentle rule and kindness. I rose to power as his trusted friend. My title is The Voice and City Planner of Biville. Please remain calm. ” Luanda said having thought over her words many times.

 

A shadow passed over head and slaves looked up then screams from the slaves could be heard as a dragon came down to land. It was the size of a small horse. Mostly covered in red scales that shifted to black at the edges.

 

What shocked the slaves the most was how the dragon acted. It walked up next to Luanda and stood just in front of her a bit. The dragon sat and looked at all of them studying each face. Women clutched their children a bit tighter and men glanced at the jungle around them.

 

“This is Lord Crimson. By his order, we have brought you here to help us. You will be given shelter, food, and freedom. Yes, you heard right. You shall be free from the chains and collars after this day. Lord Crimson will pay you for your hard work. Through his kindness, you all will be given a chance to make a life for yourself here with us. You will live as families in these shelters until homes can be built. Your be free to buy your own food, clothing, and other such property. If you wish and it would sadden my heart greatly. You will also be free to leave our wonderful town. ” Luanda said and there were tears on her face.

Luanda was feeling extremely emotional.

 

Crimson growl a little and nodded at Luanda. She put a hand on his shoulder before going on.

 

“Is there one among you that is your leader? Someone, who can speak for the many. ” Luanda asked and the slaves turned their heads to one man.

 

Luanda had noticed him before. He didn't look scared when Crimson flew over. He was young and looked like a warrior. The shirt he wore was in tatters and Luanda saw the deep whip marks on his back.

 

“Tomo. ” Tomo said and stepped forward a bit.

 

“Thorin, free this man from his wrist chains. ” Luanda said. Thorin had been eager and ready for this moment. His hammer and spike already in his hand.

 

Once freed, Luanda waved him over to stand in front of Lord Crimson. Lord Crimson made a show of hand signing and getting a nod from the Luanda.

 

“As Lord Crimson's voice. He has expressed the desire, that you will be put in charge. The pay is slightly higher and your be free to pick others. Be sure they are people that you can trust to do certain jobs. Your first task will be a standing log wall. The second task will be dividing your efforts to make a road to the sea and building homes for your people. Lastly, we need a dock made so our town will have it's own port. ” Luanda explained loud enough so all could hear.

 

“What happens when everything is done? ” Tomo asked with a bit more boldness then most slaves would do after being whipped so much in the past.

 

“Be free men and women here with us or try to go back to where you came from. The second choice means risking a life as a slave if your captured again. The first choice has it's own dangers, but you die free. The second choice, you already know far too well. ” Luanda answered and waited with baited breath.

 

“My answer is yes. I will work for Lord Crimson. Light Bringer praise him. ” Tomo said loudly and looked back at the families behind him. Making eye contact with many and smiling.

 

“Kneel as a slave for the last time. So you may rise as a free man. ” Luanda said and Tomo did kneel before the dragon.

 

Slowly, they all watched as Lord Crimson lifted his three clawed limb. He curled back two of his side claws and using the middle one to pushed the locking pin out with a ping sound.

Tomo's collar fell to the ground. He rose up rubbing his neck. Perhaps checking for blood. He nodded very respectfully to Lord Crimson.

 

“Carack and Thorin, would you please help free the slaves. ” Luanda asked and Carack undid the pegs that held them from running. Thorin went to stand beside Lord Crimson with tools in hand to remove the neck collars then the wrists.

 

“Form lines. ” Tomo ordered and the slaves did so.

 

Much to Luanda's surprise. Lord Crimson had more people lined up to be freed then Thorin. Thankfully, no child under the age of ten had a neck collar. Smaller locking pins would have been impossible for Lord Crimson.

 

Men smiled, women cried, and some mothers went so far to ask Lord Crimson to bless their child. This was just a quick tongue flick to the forehead.

 

“Boss Tomo, my first order is for you to get our people settle. Prepare wood for bonfires to keep the tigers away and Lord Crimson will personally pull the wagon for your first meal here. ” Luanda ordered and left with Crimson.

 

Thorin and Carack were busy collecting the chains and collars. Thorin was going to take a lot of pleasure in reforging these into nails.

 

That evening, Crimson pulled the wagon with two large cooking pots filled with a heavy stew. There were also wooden bowls with spoons neatly stacked made by Wilhelm and his nephew. Luanda rode in the back with Thorin. When they stopped it didn't take long for the former slaves to line up. Tomo like a lot of the men made sure he was last in line to eat.

 

“So, there I am in the shop looking at the medium to large size magic stones. The shop keeper comes over asks if he can help me. I say, yes sir. I come on behalf of my Lord to purchase some magic stones. How much for every large and medium size magic stone?” Thorin said as he was telling Luanda about his time in Port's Mouth.

 

“What did he say?” Luanda asked with a smile as she served out another bowl of stew.

 

“This is the best part. He looks at me and sees my lack of fine clothing then gives me one of those nasty looks. He said, my good man bring me a chest full of gold coins and I will help my assistants pack every single magic stone for you to take away. Let me tell you. He looked like a fish out of water when I came back then opened that chest full of gold coins. ” Thorin said with a grin.

 

“I would have loved to seen that. ” Luanda said next and heard Crimson growling with amusement. He had agreed with her.

 

“We stored them in crates then hid them under the wagon benches. We picked up this lot of Island People after making arrangements and rode out of town as fast as we could. ” Thorin said finishing up his story.

 

“Line up again if you want more. There is plenty left over. ” Luanda called out.

No surprised most of them lined back up and got a good second helping.

 

As they passed by Lord Crimson they thanked him. Some making the hand gesture for thank you as they spoke. After the cooking pots were empty. Crimson pulled the wagon back inside the town. Luanda helped her dragon friend out of the harness. He nodded and walked back to where the former slaves were.

 

As the back gates were being closed. Luanda saw him helping lighting the fires to keep the tigers away. Tomo using a burning branch was helping with the other bonfires.

 

The next morning when they returned with the open wagon now being pulled by a horse. This time they had cooked meat and soft bread. Thorin had neatly stacked spears and various digging tools Luanda had purchased for this day.

 

Crimson was asleep in the center of the clearing curled up. Luanda was pleased to see children playing a game with him. Each child was creeping up to the apparently sleeping dragon touching him then quickly running away. The goal of the game seemed to be, who dared to touch his scales the longest without waking him.

 

Luanda could tell the way his tail twitched. Lord Crimson was already awake. The game didn't stop until a woman came out from her shelter scolding the children. The children scattered in different directions. Only then did Lord Crimson pretend to wake up and looking over at the yelling woman. She ducked back inside her shelter perhaps fearing her loud words woke him.

 

“Why do I get the feeling that Lord Crimson was play acting? ” Thorin asked with a smile and Luanda returned the smile.

 

“Good of Lord Crimson to pull guard duty. ” Luanda said back as Thorin slowed the wagon to a stop.

 

Quickly shouts from one former slave to another soon had a crowd gather. This time, without being told they formed a line. Tomo walking over to Thorin who had waved him over.

 

“Spears to be used against any tigers and digging tools for wall building. ” Thorin said and handed the best spear to Tomo.

 

Tomo looked shocked to be given a weapon so freely.

 

“It has been a long time, since I held a weapon to protect others. ” Tomo said in thanks. Then he called out to other men and women by name. Each of them took a spear and went off in pairs.

 

Luanda was serving food to each person who had saved their wooden bowls from yesterday.

Thorin saw children were allowed first then women. The men hanging out toward the back. It didn't take long for everyone to get a bowl and Lord Crimson cleaned out the remains of one cooking pot.

 

Tomo handed his empty bowl off to a child and told him to run it back to his shelter. Then, Tomo walked up to Luanda ready for orders.

 

“Tomo, Lord Crimson will fly up a few times then land a short distance away. Where he digs is where the wall should line up. Building over the river will be tricky. He will be staying behind to help you dig as well. Have you done this sort of thing before? ” Luanda asked.

 

“Many times. I have made docks, buildings and even lifts to move heavy things upward. The whip marks on my back are for each time a slave had died due to unsafe work conditions. Yet, none of my former masters did anything to make it better. I believe that Lord Crimson is far better then them. ” Tomo said speaking more freely with Luanda seeing she was a former slave like himself.

 

“Wagons will be coming and going to bring you all supplies. Thorin, our second best blacksmith will be working on forging new metal parts. I have to go back and start handling requests from other people. ” Luanda said leaving them too it.

 

They only stayed long enough to unload the rest of the tools. Crimson already in the air then coming down to dig the first hole to mark the spot. When time permits and whenever the stone is available. They would build a stone wall later on for a more permanent wall.

 

Luanda parted ways with Thorin at his home and talked briefly with Thorin's wife. Thea asked about the baby and how much him or her was kicking. Thea also suggested a few methods for helping with the pains of carrying a child.

 

Luanda walked back to her home. Using a simple key she entered her home only noticing the broken window glass a little too late.

 

A strong hand grabbed her mouth then try to wrap her upper arms. As Luanda struggled, she remembered and used the little dagger she got for protection. No man was ever going to force himself on her without a fight.

 

Barely getting it free she stabbed down at the man's leg. He half yelled then stumbled back. A second man was coming to help, but Luanda just managed to kick him right between the legs.

 

“Cursed whore. ” The man said that she stabbed and spun her around. The next thing Luanda saw was a large fist coming right for her face.

 

The world darken and she felt the cold floor against her face. Luanda was still awake and could hear these thugs speaking to each other.

 

“You idiot. He won't pay us if you kill her and the baby. This inn keeper better pay us good for fetching his lost slave whore. ” The second thug said rubbing around the spot where her shoe had connected.

 

A covered wagon was just backing up to the side of the house. The driver was hooded to help him shade his face from the brutal sun over head. Luanda could just see him out of the unbroken window toward the front.

 

“No, I...not...going back. ” Luanda moaned out so low the thugs barely heard her.

 

“See, she's fine. You carry her through the window, while I wrap this wound up. ” The first thug said ripping apart some of Luanda's clothing to make a bandage.

 

Luanda found herself bound and gagged a minute later. The last thing she could see was a heavy blanket being pulled over her body. The man she stabbed had her dagger now.

 

“You be real quiet. Any kicking or fussing and I cut your brat out from your belly. ” The man threaten after he secured the heavy blanket.

 

The second thug must have been up front with the driver.

 

“Good work, boys. Whenever she has that baby. I will make a nice little profit. Don't you two worry. I will pay you two the rest of the coins. When we get back to Port's Mouth. ” The Inn Keeper said already fuming he had to close his Inn for the day. He had heard that his old slave girl was living in Biville from a traveling trader who stayed at his place a few times a month.

 

The covered wagon just starting down the street. Luanda heard a noise and knew it to be Reynard's wooden armor. She could just picture Reynard walking around the corner wearing his wooden armor as normal. The wood armor clanking as he walked. A bag on his back filled with paper requests from various people trying to petition Lord Crimson for funding.

 


 

Crimson:

 

I landed to dig a spot and took off again to get a bird's eye view of everything. From my vantage point, I could plot out where the log wall should go. Supply wagons were just starting to arrive as wood cutters from the town started their work day.

 

Before the former slaves arrived. I already marked the route the wood cutters would clear the trees by fire blasting a pair of trees every so often. As long as they cut all the trees between the burned marked ones they be making a straight path for the cove.

 

The digging was well on its way and I already marked one side. I doubt the former slaves could get a tenth of the wall up in a day. The work would be slow until they got into working as a team.

 

“Lord Crimson! Lord Crimson! ” Young Reynard's voice shouted up at me as he came running out from the town's back gates. Some of the adults were trying to stop him from leaving the safety of the town's stone walls.

 

I came down to land in front of him and the adults stop trying their efforts to hold him.

 

“Luanda..gone...blood...on...floor...” Reynard said trying to catch his breath. He must have ran hard to reach me from Luanda's home.

 

“Don't overreact, boy. Did you try the healer's house?, before bothering Lord Crimson. ” One guard asked

 

“Window on the side of her house was broken. I climbed inside and saw a torn up robe and blood on the floor by the door. ” Reynard said finally able to speak without pausing.

 

The guard turned to his partner.

 

“Check with the healers and alert any law keepers along the way. Maybe, she just hurt herself, boy. Accidents happen. ” The first guard said and looked at his friend who took off at a trot.

 

I had a bad feeling. Maybe she just got hurt or maybe not. I moved forward and motioned with my head that Reynard should get on my back. Reynard jumped up and got into position.

Grabbing on my horns to secure himself. I took off after a running start.

 

We soon landed just outside Luanda's home. Right away, I could smell blood and three men had been there. I trotted over to the broken window and saw what Reynard had seen.

 

Two of the men had been inside. Strangers to my sense of smell. I knew, everyone who visit inside Luanda's home. She still had trust issues, when it came to new men being inside her house.

 

I shook my back and sniffed at the ground to let Reynard know to hang on tight.

 

With a series of small dragon roars and shouts from Reynard. I was running down the streets causing horses to panic slightly and those crossing to hurry out of the way.

 

I was following the blood smell and it was leading away from the healers house. The direction was straight for the main gate out of Biville.

 

I turned the corner and saw a small line of wagons leaving Biville. I jumped then and glided over the wagons smelling my target. They were just coming up to the front gate.

 

I landed blocking their way out with teeth bare and a deep snarling growl. I looked up at the two people seated there. People nearby froze as their neck hairs rose up. Most were just happy, I wasn't looking at them.

 

“Lord Crimson, what is wrong? ” One gate guard asked being brave enough to speak first.

 

“Something happen to Luanda. These fowl villains are the cause. ” Reynard said still play acting as the noble knight.

 

The boy already slid off my back and pointed with his wooden sword.

 

“We don't have time for dumb beasts and boys who day dream too much. ” The driver said and I could smell the fear coming off of him in waves.

 

“Lord Crimson is far from being a dumb beast. I think, a quick look in the back of your wagon is needed. ” The other gate guard said pulling out his sword. This second guard was a dwarf.

 

“I thought you all followed the common law. Can not I freely travel, without being molested with searches. ” The driver said to the crowd that gathered around.

 

The people were murmuring to each other and no one noticed that young Reynard had slipped away from my side. My eyes were locked on the two people sitting on the wagon. The smell of blood coming from the back. Luanda's smell faint under the copper tang of blood.

 

It wasn't until a woman screamed and I moved to look down the side of the wagon.

Young Reynard was on the ground not moving with a dagger stuck in his wooden chest armor. Blood welling up from just under his wooden armor soaking the wood. A man was running down the street pushing people out the way. Limping as he ran as his blood leaked onto the street from a leg wound.

 

Movement from the second man next to the driver caught my attention next. I saw a crossbow come up and with a rage. I didn't know existed inside of me. I breathed fire scorching the horses to death then the man trying to take aim.

 

The driver jumped away escaping my flames. The man dropped his weapon and ended up rolling in the street. His arm and face badly burned now as he screamed with pain. I was on the driver's tale as he try to run.

 

Coming around the other side. I whipped my tail around and he turned his head just in time to catch the sharp side of my spear like tail. The man barely reached the end of his wagon when I hit him.

 

The driver stumbled and fell to the ground clutching at his face.

 

“My eyes! ” The driver screamed as Law Keepers closed in around him.

 

The dwarf law keeper was already tending to young Reynard. He was checking the wound.

 

“The boy will live, but he needs a healer. ” The dwarf said to the crowd of on lookers. He started pulling out a cloth bandage that he had stored in a side bag on his belt.

 

Law keepers were climbing into the back of the wagon. I saw Luanda sitting up with her mouth gag and limbs bound by rope.

 

She looked okay if a little unsteady as her hands then feet were freed. She pulled her gag away to speak directly to me.

 

“Go get that bastard, who did that. ” Luanda said and looked down at young Reynard.

I turned to get a running start and people scattered to make room as I took off flying.

People who panic while running seem to forget to look up. I found the limping man with the bloody leg and came down hard body checking him in the back.

 

He went flying and ended up smashing into the side of a building face first. He was unmoving after that and I took some pride in my dive bomb. It didn't take long for Law Keepers to show up and seeing me there. They quickly too custody of the downed man.

 

With the rage leaving my body. I fast walked to the healers house next. That fire blast, I used earlier and the chase really taken it's toll out of me.

 

The double doors of the healers house made it easy for me to enter. The doors were designed to be pushed inward for incoming injured people.

 

I found Reynard lying on a corner cot as a healer used a crystal like stone over his wound. His armor had been removed and stack neatly by his cot.

 

Luanda was being told to follow the movement of a light stone in a healer's fingers as she moved it up and down then side to side. She was sitting in a wooden reclining chair used by the healers to examine injured people.

 

“You got lucky, young miss. Hits to the head can be nasty. You will have a bad headache and should take it easy. You have to stay over night and awake for a while. ” The healer said and looked up to see me. I looked over at young Reynard.

 

“Lord Crimson, It's an honor. The boy will be okay. That play armor saved his life, but he will carry a scar to show the ladies. He got knocked out when he fell from the wagon. Had to be a cowardly bastard to stab a child. ” The young male healer said and I nodded my head.

 

“Did you kill the bastard that did that? ” Luanda asked looking at me.

 

I shook my head from side to side and Luanda smiled.

 

“Good, death is too good for him. I can't wait for the trial and hear the punishment. ” Luanda said relaxing back in the reclining chair.

 

I took a seat in an unused corner to stay out of the way.

 

It didn't take long for Reynard's family to show up. A tearful Thea and a grim face Thorin with the other children in tow. They talked to the healer woman tending to Reynard and were soon relieved to hear he be okay.

 

Wilhelm soon arrived after hearing about Reynard. The story of Luanda's kidnapping was spreading like wild fire in the little town. Reynard's relatives were being told.

 

“Wilhelm, your wooden armor saved my boy's life. ” Thorin said hugging his brother tightly and Wilhelm was crying along with his brother.

 

“What happened? ” Thea asked looking at Luanda. So far there been rumors of a kidnapping.

 

Luanda told them what had happen and giving as much details as she could. I half expected Thorin to be angry with me. I flew young Reynard there and took my eye off the boy.

 

“Thank you, Lord Crimson for catching the man that did this. You will always be welcome inside my home. Until you get too big to fit through the front door that is. ” Thorin said and got a good smack on the shoulder from his wife.

 

All the same everyone laughed a little. Carack and Ysmay showed up then.

 

“I just heard Luanda was almost kidnapped and Reynard stabbed. ” Ysmay said coming through the door and her hand going to her mouth when she saw young Reynard lying there still. Ysmay relaxed when she saw her nephew breathing.

 

Thorin assured her that he be okay and told her what had happened.

 

A few days later the trial was held. Dunan Malore was standing in to be the temporary judge being a neutral party in town matters. The jury were mostly traders while the rest were random town folk.

 

The kidnappers were bound with slave chains and still recovering from their wounds. It had required two of the master healers to make sure they were fit for trial. Two of the prisoners were blind now and the last man looking like he traded punches with a pack of dwarfs. Everyone's actions were being judged this day.

 

“Reynard, son of Thorin the blacksmith. Please stand. ” Dunan Malore said once the gather crowd settled down. I sat off to the side to watch matters staying close to Reynard.

 

“Reynard, your heart was in the right place, but you broke the law by peaking into the back of that covered wagon. Do you plead guilty to this charge or deny it? We can have a trial right now. ” Dunan Malore asked the boy.

 

“Guilty as charged, sir. I take whatever punishment you see fit. ” Reynard said much to cheers and clapping of the crowd.

 

“Settle down or I will have the room cleared. ” Dunan Malore said and banged a round stone down with a flat bottom.

 

“I hereby fine you one gold coin payable within a year from today. ” Dunan Malore said and Reynard looked to his father who already pulled one gold coin free from a pocket.

He gave it to Reynard who laid it on Dunan's table.

 

“If it please the court. I like to see the money go to the healers house. ” Reynard said and Dunan nodded. Reynard rubbed at his shoulder a little as he said this.

 

“Your request will be noted. Lord Crimson, please rise. ” Dunan said and I sat up with Luanda by my side to translate.

 

“From various signed witnesses statements. You acted out of self defense and this court will not be pressing any charges for the man you burned. It's my understanding the blinding wound to the inn keeper who is from Port's Mouth was an accident. Is this true? ” Dunan asked me and I nodded then looked at Luanda. We already worked out my answers to nearly all possible questions to be asked today.

 

“Yes, your honor. My former slave master, the inn keeper turned his head around just as Lord Crimson's tail tip struck him. Lord Crimson meant to strike him with the flat side of his tail. So, Lord Crimson has told me. ” Luanda said and I nodded again.

 

“No person, Lord and in this case an intelligent reasonable dragon is above the law. Your not a law keeper and you wounded a man. What is your plea? ” Dunan asked.

 

“Guilty as charged. ” Luanda said proudly.

 

“Being a Lord. The punishment fine will be higher then normal. One thousand gold coins. Payable within a year from today. ” Dunan said and murmurs from the crowd made him give a sharp look to all seated or standing.

 

“We can pay it by the end of the day. We also like to plea guilty to the second attack. ” Luanda said eager to get to the trial of the men to her far right.

 

“This court will set the fine to another one thousand gold coins. Same terms as before. ” Dunan said and moved his attention to the trio of sorry looking men.

 

“It's my understanding two of these men have refused to speak. ” Dunan asked.

 

“Yes, your honor. The inn keeper has confessed and wishes to throw himself upon the mercy of this court. ” A law keeper said and the Inn keeper nodded quickly.

 

“Inn Keeper, is this true? ” Dunan acting as judge asked needing him to speak for himself.

 

“Ye..yes, your honor. It was a misguided attempt to seize back what I considered my property. I confess to all charges. ” The Inn keeper said with a tremble in his tone.

 

“This court will sentence you to the public punishment of ten lashes in the town square at noon, today. You will be exiled naked as the day as you were born from our town gate afterwards. If you ever come within sight of our walls ever again. A sentence of death will be carried out by beheading. Do you find this judgment justified or wish for a trial? ” Dunan pronounced.

 

“Justified, your honor. Thank you. Thank you. ” The inn keeper said and he was escorted out of the room.

 

Dunan focused his full attention on the pair of shackled thugs.

 

“Since you have failed to give this court any names. We hear by name you, Bruised and Burnt. I let you two figure out, who is who. How do you plea? ” Dunan asked and no answer came.

 

The silence went on for a full minute. Then Dunan Malore spoke again.

 

“Very well. Let the record show the pair didn't speak or give any hand sign language. We will start a trial. Reynard, please stand in front of the court and tell the truth upon your honor. ” Dunan asked and young Reynard did so.

 

Various law keepers and witnesses were called up next then dismissed to take their seat once more. Then a stack of signed sworn statement of papers were laid on Dunan's table. The jury listened and remained silent during the whole process.

 

“Jury, Please take a recess of a quarter of an hour to pass judgment on all you have heard. If you all require more time let the guard outside the room know. ” Dunan said and bang down with his round stone. No one left say for the juries who to talked behind a almost sound proof door.

 

The time flew by and I heard the jury coming back before anyone else.

 

The jury filed in and sat down say for one man selected to speak for the group.

 

“How do you find these men? ” Dunan asked.

 

“We find both men guilty of kidnapping. We also find the man known as Bruised to be guilty of the attempted murder of a child. ” The head jury member said loudly.

 

“Is there a jury member who disagrees? Please stand one by one to speak. ” Dunan asked and no one disagreed.

 

“I sentence both men to work the mines. One year for Burnt. Bruised will spend the rest of his life in the mine. Do you find this punishment justified? ” Dunan asked.

 

Neither man spoke and Bruised only glared at any he could see. While burnt with is face wrapped up in bandages had his head down in a defeated way.

 

“Let the record show that neither man objected. I hear by call this trial to an end. ” Dunan Malore said and the room cleared after the prisoners were taken out through the back door.

By the time noon came around the crowd had gathered to watch the show. A post in the center of the town square was setup. Luanda smiled when her former master was led out naked as a newborn baby, chubby, blind, and sobbing.

 

Jeers and laughs followed him. I stood up in the front with my back to the crowd and growled loudly so he knew that I was there.

 

He was soon tied to the post and given his ten lashes with the crowd counting up. The public shaming and the painful whips may have seem harsh. Then, I looked over at Luanda's back picturing all the whip marks she had on her back.

 

Once when she was half naked while bathing. I try to count the marks and couldn't figure out a number. The scars over lapped too much for a clear picture even for my sharp dragon eyes.

The lashing was finished and with an escort of two Law Keepers on horse back. He was taken out of the town to walk naked all the way back to Port's Mouth. I knew, he would have one hell of the sun burn with that pale skin of his. Not to mention the state of his bare feet.

The crowd broke apart and everyone went back to their normal lives.

 

Months later, the log walls were up in place. The back gate doors were moved as well.

Shelters were turned into houses just before the weather turned to what seem like days of endless rain with few days of sun. All the buildings within the inner part of the town were fully repaired now.

 

I grew too big to be inside people's homes anymore. My head and neck could still fit through windows. I just had to watch my horns when I wanted to leave. One night during a storm, Luanda went into labor. Thorin's family waited in the dining area around the table. Even Tomo was there dressed in good clean work clothes with a full money pouch tied to his belt. Lately, he become very close to Luanda. So much, they were already a couple.

 

I waited on the side of her home with my head inside. The female healer cracked the door to the back bedroom.

 

“It's a girl. Mother and daughter are doing great. ” She said and everyone cheered.

 

“Alright, you boys get the children on home. We women will care for the mother and daughter. ” Thea said and men got up slowly as the children groaned.

 

Young Reynard had become the new voice for me. As Luanda had become too heavy with child. Her duties as my voice was passed to Reynard. The boy had become quite skilled in understanding me. Luanda taught him how to speak with hand signs and judge my expressions.

 

Young Reynard was wearing his new dragon skin armor just over his clothes. A recent birthday gift from a certain dragon along with a short sword with a small red crystal gem in the cross guard. If Reynard touched the stone and focused his mind a bit of flame would shoot out. Useful distraction in a sword fight.

 

His step uncle and cousin were currently paying a sword master to teach Reynard as their birthday gift to him. Ysmay, his aunt had gotten him a dwarf made helm that fit him perfectly with extra padding on the inside of the helm. Uncle Wilhelm upgraded the boy's shield after getting a few left over dragon scales from me.

 

Reynard was well known now in Biville and his family wanted him to stay safe.

 

I carefully pulled my head out being mindful of the window's frame. Ysmay shut it and then lowered the new security bars. She waved goodbye to me as I moved out from the side yard.

The children already wearing cloaks all piled onto my back to get a free ride home. With my adult friends at my side, we walked toward Thorin's place.

 

“So much as changed. In less then a year we have really built up this place. ” Thorin said impressed as he looked around from the hood of his rain cloak.

 

“Aye, brother. Who ever thought, that I have a group of wood craftsmen working for me. Our markets and shops are even better then Port's Mouth now. Since, we are closer to the lands of Angmar most people come here instead to get what they need. ” Wilhelm said.

 

“Having dwarfs around doesn't hurt. They forge good weapons, sell metal to us and deal in gems with traders. I must say Tomo, your women must have the market corner on making pottery. Our town as become a melting pot for the races. ” Carack said.

 

“All we need now are some dark skin people from the O'marin empire. Tomo, how are things? ” Thorin asked.

 

“Back on our island homes, we never had houses like here. We are still clearing the ground for more buildings. Like the dwarfs, we want our little community to grow. The road work is going faster then we expected. All thanks to teamwork and working with Lord Crimson. Who knew there be so much clay in the ground. ” Tomo said with a laugh.

 

I snorted and gave them all a growl of amusement. I been half covered in mud most days while helping out. Only a dip in the river or strong rainy days kept me clean. Everyone seemed to find it amusing since dragons weren't know for playing in the mud.

 

“Lord Crimson doesn't mind. ” Young Reynard said and patted the base of my neck.

 

“Brother, did I tell you about Bruised? Died in a mine, due to a cave in. The dwarfs tell me that he was trying to escape. Damn fool, that he was. Not sure if the dwarfs warned him or not. That section of the mine that was his prison was unstable. I think not, because they let him keep his digging tool at the end of each work day. ” Carack said to Thorin in a lower voice so the children didn't hear.

 

“What about the one they call Burnt? ” Thorin asked his brother in law.

 

“Found religion, if you can believe it. Asked for a monk from the Order of Light Bringer and confessed all of his sins. The dwarfs treat him far better and he managed to make a few friends among them. One good look at that candle waxed face with those blind eyes and you feel pity too. I hear the monks have already offered him a place among their order. I guess, he be Brother Burnt when his sentence is up. ” Carack said having seen the man once without his hood up.

 

“All it took was a baptism by fire. I think, I will stick with blessed water. ” Wilhelm said jesting a little.

 

“Knowing you as well as I do. I have a monk bless the entire river. ” Thorin joked back.

 

“Better make it the entire order of monks for that blessing. Before and after. ” Carack said joining in on the fun.

 

“So brother, how is that gunsmith and that clockmaker you hired away from their bosses working out? ” Wilhelm asked taking the jesting with a good nature smile.

 

“Splendidly, so far. Dunan Malore has been giving his advice too. We have already made a few repeating pistols. We got an idea for rifles next. The trick was using a softer metal for the new bullet cover. ” Thorin said pulling out one such new bullet to show his family from a pocket.

 

The front end was pointed metal shot made with a harder metal. A brass covered the back end which had a touch of gunpowder in it. Thorin then explained how it worked. Keeping it simple to understand fully. The whole bullet making process had taken months to get to this point in order to make it almost perfect.

 

“The hammer of the pistol hits this bit here causing a spark. The gunpowder ignites causing the brass to expand slightly while pushing the harder metal out. The pointed shot is forced out just like an old metal ball. The bullet wheel moves the next bullet into place while the brass cover pops free to be used again later. Sometimes, it's jam, but it easy to clear after a bit of practice. ” Thorin said.

 

The men nodded doing their best to picture it.

 

Wilhelm broke from the group just before the bridge that led over to Thorin's place.

 

I heard my name and Thorin's being called before we were halfway over the bridge. A young member from the healers house came running.

 

When I stopped and looked in that direction. Thorin took notice going on alert for danger.

A few seconds later, a young woman came into view wearing a healer's uniform. She slowed and fast walked the rest of the way.

 

“Urgent business at the sixth storage warehouse by the front gate. Law keepers picked up two people trying to sneak in with a group of travelers. It was just before they closed the front gates for the night. ” The young woman said.

 

“They say why they need us? ” Thorin asked.

 

I had seen the healer before and knew she was the youngest member of the healers. Isabel and Muriel slid off my back. Since it appeared their brother would be needed as my voice.

 

“Law keepers need your decision on whether these two should stay or not. They didn't tell me why. Both strangers were wearing rain cloaks. Man and child from what I could tell. ” The young healer answered and clearly wasn't being told all the details for a reason.

 

“Carack, see this young healer gets a drink of water and some rest before heading back. I will leave you to look after the girls. I will be home shortly. Lord Crimson, we make better time if I rode upon your back. ” Thorin said.

 

I nodded and lowered my body. Thorin climbed on just in front of his son.

 

We were off in seconds and I took the streets at a fast run. Thanks to my hearing and smell I could avoid upcoming people or late evening wagons. It was perhaps a good thing Luanda was our city planner in those early days. The streets had been widened with me in mind.

We arrived at the storage warehouse and entered through the wide doors for wagons to come and go. A pair of law keepers guarding just inside the doors.

 

A few other law keepers were standing over a hooded cloak man sitting in a chair. His wrists tied with rope while he rested them in his lap. Not far away a senior stern looking female healer was looking after a smaller figure wearing a rain cloak.

 

I smelled it almost at once as we entered into the building. It was something like a dog, but not quite.

 

“Lord Crimson, Thorin, and young Reynard. ” One Law Keeper called out.

 

“You catch some spies from Angmar?” Thorin joked after he slid down to land on his feet.

“If only, it was that simple. ” The Law Keeper said and pulled the hood off of the man.

 

The bound man wasn't exactly a man nor a beast. It was like a human half turned into a wolf or a wolf nearly became a human.

 

I looked over at the little child and smelled the air. There was a dog like scent and that of a young female child mixed together.

 

“Descendent of the Bane family. ” Thorin said in surprised. Reynard slipped down to stand at my side.

 

Then the wolf-man spoke.

 

“I'm Edward Bane. My daughter is Ashlee. We only wish to speak with a member of the Light Bringer order. ” Edward Bane said in a somewhat growling voice and looked at me then Thorin. He didn't seem surprise to see I was a dragon.

 

“Shelter and food, I guess. ” Thorin said and looked over at Ashlee briefly.

 

Little Ashlee turned around to see who her daddy was speaking too. Upon seeing me, she removed her hood. She looked less like her father, but still fur covered her face. When she smiled she had a double set of canine teeth.

 

“You a dra-gee. ” Ashlee said and ran right up to my chest to touch my scales. Seeing Young Reynard at my side must have convinced her that I was safe to touch. I nodded slowly so not to frighten her.

 

“Lord Crimson, says yes. My name is Reynard. I'm the voice for Lord Crimson” Reynard said and removed his helmet. He gave the little girl a warm smile. She appeared to be around the same age as Muriel.

 

“Mr. Bane, you don't seem shocked to see a dragon here. ” Thorin said and made a motion they should free his wrists. A Law Keeper undid the knots.

 

“Word of your town is spreading. We hear, see, and smell better then most people. Rumors say this town is run by a former slave with a pet dragon. Some say, it's a boy knight who tamed a wild dragon. I have even heard the Light Bringer himself sent this dragon to lead us through the end of days. ” Mr. Bane said with a shrug.

 

I made a curious type growl and Reynard understood my meaning.

 

“Lord Crimson wishes to know what you are? ” Reynard asked.

 

Mr. Bane chuckled a little. He looked at me and nodded.

 

“Your new to the world. Most call us the cursed ones. Well, much like fairy tale stories. My family history starts the same way. In a far away kingdom, a long time ago. There was this royal family called the Bane House. They lived far to the North close to the plains and mountains. They had forests to hunt in and gather food. The Bane house weren't your normal royal family. Every man, woman and child joined in on hunting wild dangerous animals for sport. One faithful day, the family gets word that a pack of dangerous wolves have moved into a forest. Wolves known for attacking people and killing for the joy of it. Touched by the dark one himself so the rumors went. This royal family were well known for hunting dangerous creatures and jumped at the chance. You can imagine the irony of it? ” Mr. Bane asked Thorin with a weak smile.

 

“Your long dead ancestors were to be the wolf's bane. ” Thorin answered having heard the story during his travels.

 

“In the end, The wolf pack was unlike anything they ever seen before. Far greater numbers then what had been reported and vicious, including the cubs. The Bane family fought back to back. Not a single member of the family came away without getting bit at least once. A few Bane family members were killed. After they killed every wolf down to the pups they returned home. Days later the family started changing as the moon became more full. The entire family had turned into monsters like me. The curse even carries over to our unborn children and sometimes skip generations. We are considered cursed and often hated because we look so different. Can you guess what happen next?” Mr. Bane asked and waited for my response. I found myself shaking my head.

 

A law keeper offered Mr. Bane a cup of water and he drank it then thanked the man. It was Thorin who picked up the story.

 

“We heard stories. The citizens of the land rose against your ancestors and drove them from their castle home. Rumors were that your ancestors scattered in hopes of finding somewhere safe. ” Thorin said to Mr. Bane.

 

“That's pretty much the story that my father told me and I passed down to Ashlee. The order of Light Bringer has always been able to aid us. Sometimes we live far away from most cities or towns for a short while. ” Bane finished and looked sharply at the open door.

I heard it too. Running steps and slapping sandals hitting bare feet.

 

“Lord Crimson, if I may have a word? ” The head monk said coming into view and being stopped by the Law Keepers standing guard. He must have gotten word or suspected a Bane family member was here from a rumor.

 

“Let him pass. ” Thorin said and I nodded to agree. The monk didn't looked surprised to see Mr. Bane here.

 

“Brother Thomas, my Lord. I was planning on making arrangements to speak with you on another matter. It's been part of our Order's way to aid the Bane family whenever they show up. For they did the world a great service by killing the Dark One's wolves. We will take them away if the sight of them offends you. ” Brother Thomas said breathing hard and for an old man barely looked winded.

 

I snorted at the last statement and using my clawed limb made the hand signs that Luanda taught me. Reynard translated for me as I looked at Mr. Bane.

 

“Lord Crimson, welcomes you and your daughter to our town. Please stay and we will find a home for you. If not, Lord Crimson insists you rest well and eat first before leaving. ” Reynard said half turned to me and watching every hand like movement I made.

 

“We thank you, Lord Crimson. ” Mr. Bane said seeing that Reynard was merely translating for me.

 

“Where should we put them? ” Thorin asked rubbing his short beard.

 

I made the motion if breaking something apart if my limbs had been bound. Some of the former slaves had moved out to live in the inner part of town. Mostly due to marrying someone in town or a conflict with a neighbor. They still worked their old job. This left some houses empty.

 

“Good idea. Extra housing for any newly escape slaves and away from the general public. Those island people respect you greatly. Tomo would jump at the chance to gain your favor. ” Thorin said.

 

Thorin then asked one of the law keepers to bring a wagon around. He take them personally to Tomo to speak with him.

 

I turned my attention to Brother Thomas and let Reynard guess what I wanted next with a glance.

 

“Lord Crimson wishes to know what was the other business?” Reynard said seeing me nod to him that he got it right.

 

“Oh, I hesitate to say Lord Crimson. It is rather a large request on your part, but I can assure you that we will benefit your town greatly. It involves Stone Hill, my lord. Our order has been traveling to find a suitable place for a new monastery. It is rumored you grant a gift to each new citizen. Since, we are many. We like to beseech you, to grant us the top of Stone Hill and the upper mine to be used as our front door. ” Brother Thomas said sounding a bit nervous. Clearly he wanted to do this after practicing his words a few more times.

I made some motions with my clawed limbs and Reynard translated once more.

 

“Could you describe what would be built? ” Reynard asked a bit eager to hear it himself.

 

“There will be dorms for the monks with many extra rooms, small farm plots for food and flower gardens for the soul. We will have basic buildings of course. Many of the brothers in our order are expert rock carvers. Once our main buildings are done we can carve images into the side of Stone Hill. Sun burst to show all that you follow the ways of the light. We can even do dragons to let everyone within sight that you protect these lands. My Lord Crimson will surely enjoy our singing in the late evenings after our evening meals when the daily work is done. ” Brother Thomas said sounding more eager now I shown interest.

 

Through Reynard I asked my next question. By this time, Mr. Bane and his daughter were being loaded on a wagon. Thorin promising to get them something to eat on the way there. It was late evening and there were places eagerly selling hot food to people coming home from a long day's work. The father and daughter made sure their hoods were up and hands covered in the long sleeves of their rain cloaks.

 

“We would welcome any monthly donation my Lord. What is the favor you ask of us? ” Brother Thomas looking a bit weary.

 

Reynard was smiling when he translated my request.

 

“Lord Crimson has come to enjoy cooked food. He requests you to build a kitchen building large enough to feed your Order and a full size dragon. He will join you for mid day meal once a day and in return a monthly donation for food will be given. Any leftover money will be used by the monastery. Building materials, future repairs and good will deeds. Like storing extra food for the hard times or the needy if it comes close to spoiling. ” Reynard said watching my limbs closely to get every word right.

 

“I think, we can arrange that. It would be the neighborly thing to do. ” Brother Thomas said next looking happy now.

 

I nodded and Reynard relay my meaning.

 

“Lord Crimson will grant the flat rock land on top of Stone Hill and the upper mine to be used as the front entrance. ” Reynard said in reply.

 

“Thank you, Lord Crimson. I do have one final question on a more personal nature. ” Brother Thomas said and I nodded which didn't need any translating.

 

“Have you ever been baptize Lord Crimson? ” Brother Thomas asked me and the question took me back. I shook my head from side to side and asked a question back using hand signs.

 

“Why would a dragon need to be baptize? ” Reynard asked for me.

 

“Because you have an intelligent soul. I have met many people and beasts. I have learned the difference between a simple minded creature and those animals with Light Bringer's blessing to understand the world around them. ” Brother Thomas said apparently having a lot of time to think about it.

 

I nodded again and Brother Thomas understood my meaning.

 

“I will see you at morning's light and tell you more. I'm sure, it's been a long day. I wish you peace and happiness. ” Brother Thomas said and left them.

 

My upcoming baptism gave me an idea. I hand sign to young Reynard about my plan and he nodded to make arrangements. Luanda had taught him well these past few months.

 

After dropping off young Reynard at his home. I flew back to Stone Hill. Instead of going to my cave home. I landed on the sloping road which was considered for public use until you reach the cave entrance.

 

A wooden barrier had been put up to prevent curious people from going any further. This also kept people out of the upper mine as well. I could still fit inside the mine itself.

I walked inside and found a good spot. Taking several deep breaths I focused on using my dragon fire.

 

I started small at a bare patch and bats flew out in panic as smoke began to fill the upper ceiling. I increased my fire power and watched as the rocks started glowing with a red hot color.

 

Breathing through my nose. I prepared for my fire blast next then released it. The rock ceiling above me exploded and fresh warm jungle air cleared the smoke. Looking up, I could see the stars peaking out around rain clouds as the storm from earlier was breaking apart.

The melted rocks even formed a long ramp to the flat top of Stone Hill. Jumping up through the hole. I landed to stand on the flat surface. The rumbling blast, I just caused would go unnoticed due to the retreating storm.

 

Now the monks could have full access to the top without doing dangerous mining work.

I jumped from the edge and flew back to my cave to settle down for some well deserved rest.

 

The next morning, Brother Thomas came to the barrier and called up to my cave. I poked my head out and gave him a sleepy nod. I yawned and shook myself to wake up.

 

Then climbed down to stand on the wide sloping road. I motioned for him to move back and reaching out moved the wooden barrier aside. I walked forward and found a good place to sit. He looked out over the rising sun with me.

 

“Lord Crimson, I will explain the fifth-teen divine rules every person should try to follow. Please know that our great Light Bringer who made everything is a forgiving being of great power. ” Brother Thomas said and went on with each rule. Sometimes explaining it in more detail.

 

After a short time had pass. I felt that I understood each rule. It was understood a person should do their very best to follow the divine rules. I nodded my head to show that I understood Brother Thomas.

 

“Good. Shall we arrange your baptism on the next morning? It will give you a full day to reflect and think about any past misdeeds you may have done. So you may forgive yourself as our Light Bringer will forgive you. ” Brother Thomas asked and I nodded in full agreement.

 

Using my tail, I blocked the way down and jerked my head for Brother Thomas to walked the rest of the way to the upper mine.

 

“There is something you wish for me to see? ” Brother Thomas asked and I nodded.

He went ahead and I waited for him to go inside the mine. I went up the side and waited for him to come up to the very top.

 

Brother Thomas was climbing up the rocky ramp and stood in wondered as he looked back down then all around him. Clearly he taken notice of the melted stone.

 

“Now, I'm starting to believe the Light Bringer really did send you to us. ” Brother Thomas said with a small laugh and a wide grin.

 

I flexed my wings and looked back at Brother Thomas. He caught my meaning almost at once.

 

“No, the day I need help going down a hill. That will be the day, I spend my time reading more books. ” Brother Thomas said waving me off.

 

I took off and flew to the back side of Biville. I was just in time for the morning meal wagons. The men and women who ran the wagons did a lot of business feeding early morning workers. For a lot of people they saved time and money by not making their own breakfast.

 

“There you are Lord Crimson. I got this pot full of food set aside just for you. ” One food worker called out and along the line of wagons. Other food wagon owners were quick to get their extra food ready.

 

Thorin's wagon was already there unloading supplies. Young Reynard had grabbed a slate with chalk to tally up the cost of my morning meal. Since, I was part of the work crew. The cost would be taken out of my pay or my bank account.

 

Many town folks would be shocked to know. That I took the lowest paying job. Digging wasn't glamorous, but I could easily do the work of a hundred men. While I only got paid as a single person.

 

Mr. Bane arrived and I wasn't surprised to see a wood cutting ax in his hand. Tomo was beside him talking to him. The sight of Mr. Bane's wolf like face soon gain the attention of the workers. Mostly Island people mixed with a few town folks.

 

I just finished off the last cooking pot of food and went over to stand where Tomo normally gives the morning speech about what needs to be done or encouraged the workers.

 

“Eat up. We got a long work day with plenty of scheduled breaks. Lord Crimson as personally welcomed our newest citizen and labor worker. This is Edward Bane, a lord from the far North. I have talked with him already and I know he is a good man. Treat him with the same respect you would Lord Crimson. ” Tomo said and I gave out a growl while nodding my head.

 

Some of the town folks had that look if something disgusting was near. While most of Tomo's people looked relaxed. I knew, we couldn't win over everyone. So far, things were good for the most part. The crowd broke away already knowing what to do. Road workers were climbing up onto seats in wagons. Tomo hurriedly walked up to me.

 

“Lord Crimson, I have a personal request. I like to take a look at our spot for the dock and warehouses. My talents are rather wasted here. Since, we started clearing trees and finished most of the homes. The only thing left that interest me is the new town school. ” Tomo said and I nodded.

 

He climbed onto my back and I flew him to the cove area. I already cleared a handy spot for landing and where the future lifts were going to be.

 

Tomo looked over the site from the cliff side and nodded after some time.

 

“It's a good spot and I like the tall cliffs to the sides of the cove. Two lifts for each warehouse to be built up here. We can have temporary storage warehouses below built well above the water line. No shortage on wood around here. ” Tomo said to me, but I felt he was speaking more to himself as he planned it all out.

 

“Since your the big boss in charge and funding this work. I like to get your permission to get a crew out here to get things ready. We can setup a base camp and get the basics in place when the roadway finally arrives. ” Tomo said and I nodded in agreement.

 

He got on my back after having one last look around. From the air, we both saw the new road was making a straight line for the cove. I landed just past the empty wagons that carried workers. Tomo slid down off my back and would take a wagon back to the town. I went to work helping the men dig. Clay workers were already busy loading clumps of raw clay to be used later.

 


 

Luanda:

 

Luanda sat up in her bed still exhausted even after a night's rest. Bringing a new life into the world wasn't easy. Thanks to the three healers, she had done it with their help.

 

Her newborn daughter, Amber slept in a basket next to her low bed. It wouldn't be long until she woke up hungry again.

 

Thea quietly came into the room and smiled at little Amber. Isabel and Muriel were in the other room. Isabel preparing a late breakfast for Luanda. Muriel on the floor playing with a purchased dolls from a new toy shop in town.

 

“Oh good, your awake. ” Thea said quietly and took a seat on the other side of the bed where a healer had been hours ago. Thea had a minor talent for healing herself. So Luanda felt better having her friend near.

 

“She is so tiny. ” Luanda said looking over the bed and studying her daughter.

 

“Yeah, do you have a name picked out? ” Thea asked eagerly to be the first to know.

 

“Amber. Like that golden tree sap that some people shape into jewelry. The color is like the eyes of my first true friend. ” Luanda said seeing those cat like eyes as she closed her own eyes remembering their first meeting.

 

“It's a beautiful name. ” Thea said hearing the baby started to get fussy as she woke.

Luanda bent over and picked up the basket by the handles. She lifted the newborn out and bared her chest. Amber soon found her mother's nipple.

 

“To think, she was born free. ” Luanda said and tears left her eyes.

 

“Yes and even if we didn't know it at the time. We are happy you got here with our help. ” Thea said remembering the missing coin pouch and how her husband didn't mind one bit it was gone.

 

“You know. I offered to pay it back, but your husband refused. ” Luanda said using her free hand to wipe her eyes.

 

“Money well spent and then some. ” Thea said then patting the girl's leg.

 

“Can't wait for Tomo to come home. He has been great these past few months. ” Luanda said next recalling the brief moments they got to be sexual before she was too heavy with child. Even then his hands were wonderful and his lips so sweet.

 

“Judging from your dreamy look. You will pop out another kid in no time. ” Thea teased seeing the expression on the young woman's face. Luanda blushed a little and smiled.

 

“Brother Thomas stop by while you were sleeping. He wanted to know, if you like to have your daughter baptize. All they ever do is bless some water and gently pour it over the newborn's head most of the time. Some mothers have it done when its their child's first bath. He also mentioned that Lord Crimson will be baptized in the river tomorrow morning. That's going to be a sight to see. ” Thea said.

 

Thea found it hard to believe almost a year ago this was the same shy maid girl.

 

“I think, I can handle a short trip in a wagon. ” Luanda said knowing she had to move around from time to time. The healers had done great work.

 

“It's a good thing that we convince you to delegate most of your responsibilities to other people. From trash pickup to tax collecting. ” Thea said next already planning to use one of the padded wagons with those metal coils near the wheels.

 

“Can we see the baby? ” Isabel said from the doorway with her little sister by her leg. Their mother waved them in and the girls came to the bed side to look at the nursing newborn being breast fed.

 

Muriel adjusting the doll she was holding to cradle it like a baby. Isabel adjusted her clothing. Unlike the other girls her age she didn't go in for dresses all the time. She liked comfortable clothes. Lately, she been helping her father in the forge making simple things like nails.

 

“It's rare, we see you in a dress Isabel. ” Luanda said noticing the girl's strong arms.

 

“Oh, she be back in her father's old leather apron as soon as we get home. ” Thea teased her oldest daughter.

 

“Nothing like good old honest work. ” Luanda said giving Isabel a warm smile.

 

“Not sure that she catch a boy's eye that way. ” Thea said and Isabel looked away a bit embarrassed.

 

“I don't know. Beats having your bottom pinched or smacked. ” Luanda said.

 

“Yeah, Luanda. She can knock out the boy who over reaches. ” Thea replied back and the women giggled.

 

Isabel smiled a little at that. She spotted one of the crystal stones on the bedside table. Picking it up she looked at it.

 

“It's a minor healing stone. Slightly better then the chip healing stone that we used to own. Sold the chip one to that mad tinkerer. ” Thea said seeing her daughter's interest in it.

 

“Focus your mind on the stone. Feel with your finger tips. I used the smaller chip ones all the time in my old job. ” Luanda offered and knew the gift for channeling power was different for each person.

 

Isabel did so and the room exploded with green light. Then dimmed to a soft glow. Isabel almost dropping the crystal stone.

 

“By the Light Bringer. She is strong. ” Thea said shocked while she blinked away the spots. It never occurred to Thea to let her daughter try using a magic stone before. The chip one they owned was too valuable to let the children play with.

 

“Is it only healing or does she have talent for all the stones? ” Luanda asked remember the those rare few with such power.

 

“You don't think, she could become a Crystal Mage? ” Thea asked back and watched as her eldest daughter gently laid the crystal stone back on the bedside table.

 

“The healers would know. They will test the girl as a favor. Your husband did sell them most of their healing crystals at a discount. They have more of different types around for various uses. ” Luanda said recalling how it was the few Crystal Mages that helped enslaved her people. To have one on their side could make a big difference in any upcoming conflicts.

 

“A healer will be here at noon for a quick checkup. Isabel can stay here until Ysmay takes the evening shift. ” Thea said feeling very hopeful for her oldest daughter.

 

“Not quite, the simple farm life you wanted is it? ” Luanda asked remembering how Thea told her why they came to this town when it was just a simple village.

 

“Sounds rather dull come to think of it. Biville has been more interesting as a town. ” Thea said and went to work tidying up the room some more.

 

Thea spent most of her morning answering the door and taking request letters or relaying messages on town business to Luanda. The new mother only got work when she was feeling restless and the paper work was fairly easy work.

 

As luck would have it. The head healer herself came by. A stern looking old woman who seemed to radiant power. She stated her business and did a quick check over on Luanda then the baby.

 

“Both are healthy and the mother should move about tomorrow. ” The head healer said finishing up and was about to close her bag when Thea spoke.

 

“Head Healer, I have a favor to ask. My daughter, Isabel picked up a minor healing stone and it lit up like the sun. I was wondering if you could test her on other stones. As you know my husband brought many of the magic stones then sold them to the people who needed them most at a fair price. ” Thea said and watched as the woman paused in her actions.

 

“Every mother seems to think their child is a crystal mage with the stones. Let's get this over with. Bring your daughter to the back yard. It just so happens, I have a set of stones in my bag. We can use them to test her. ” The Head Healer said and snatched the bag up to exit through the fairly new back door.

 

Thea led her daughter outside. Luanda shifted her sitting position so she could see out the window.

 

Luanda couldn't hear what was being said since the window muffled everything, but the head healer pulled out a clear stone.

 

Normally used to cool a room or help feed a flame. In Isabel's hands there was a dervish suddenly in the back yard. Whipping everyone's clothing around and spraying the window with pebbles.

 

After that the head healer took more precautions. Isabel aimed the red crystal into the sky causing a jet of fire. Quickly, followed by a jet of water that made it sound like a rain storm was just outside. Lastly, was a yellow stone which caused Luanda to shield her eyes quickly remembering the healing stone. There was a bright flash of light and blinking away the spots. Luanda lowered her hand.

 

When they came back inside they paused right in front of her open doorway. The stern looking woman came in dirty, wet, and happy as she grinned before speaking.

 

“Incredible, child. Such raw talent. Report to the Healer's house at noon on the morrow. I will pay you for your time. I can show you the basics on how to properly focus. We will pick out a good spot for the more dangerous stones. ” The head healer said and bid them all a good day before leaving.

 

Luanda filled in her time with feeding, changing her daughter and doing some more paper work. She rested often and had to sooth her daughter to sleep when she woke up fussy.

 

The evening came and Ysmay started dinner while she chatted about her bartender job at the dwarf tavern.

 

“They only get rowdy during the evening, after a long day in the mine. At least, I don't have to worry about the dwarf women seducing my husband. I have seen some bearded women before during my travels. Just not so many living in one place. ” Ysmay said to Luanda while she chopped vegetables with such skill she made it look easy. Her hands and the knife seemed to blur as Ysmay moved.

 

“Been meaning to ask, how do you keep them from smacking your bottom? ” Luanda asked amazed by Ysmay's knife work.

 

“Slice part of their beard off then tell them it will be a finger next time or something lower. ” Ysmay answered with a wicked grin.

 

“When I'm a little stronger, I would liked to learn how you handle those knives. ” Luanda said not wanting to be helpless the next time someone attacks her. The hidden dagger was a good idea, but she lacked the skill to wield it. Young Reynard almost paid the ultimate price for her failure.

 

“Sure and in return you can teach me how to sew. It would be nice to mend clothes and stitch up cuts for once. I was always a far better cook while we traveled on the road. ” Ysmay said and started the process of heating up the water by touching a red crystal to spark a fire to life.

 

Dinner was ready in time for Tomo as he came inside using his key. Tomo already cleaned up having stop by the bathhouse. Ysmay bid her farewell to leave Luanda in Tomo's care.

 

They chatted about his day and what Luanda had done or seen. Before long, he cleared the dishes and washed the plates. That night, right after Amber's feeding they snuggled together in bed.

 

Luanda awoke a few times during the night to Amber's hiccuping cries for milk. Tomo barely stirring.

 

Luanda fed or changed her depending on what she needed.

 

All to soon morning came and a sleepy Luanda joined Thea in a wagon. Tomo helping her up then jumping into the back. Little Amber safely wrapped up and in Luanda's arms. They took it slow and it was clear to all. That nearly, the entire town was coming to see Lord Crimson getting baptized.

 

Most of the monks were there performing the blessing on the river on the bridge. Wagons were pulled off to the side and people sat in waiting.

 

Then Brother Thomas appeared by the bank of the river and from the air flew down Lord Crimson. Startling some horses who calmed down soon after.

 

“Good people of Biville, Today Lord Crimson will be baptized. First let us welcome our newest residents. First off, Luanda's daughter. ” Brother Thomas said and Luanda stood up to claps and cheers.

 

All attention remained on Luanda.

 

“Brother Thomas and everyone. This is Amber. Named after the eye color of my first real friend in this cruel world. It would be an honor for me to have her baptized today. ” Luanda said proudly and more clapping came.

 

“It shall be done, child. Now, let's us welcome two honored guests that Lord Crimson himself asked to be here today. A father and daughter who traveled far and suffered a hard life. Lord Edward Bane and his daughter, Ashlee Bane. Today, will be Ashlee's baptism as well. ”

Brother Thomas said and from the crowd of former island people two cloaked figures stepped out removing their hoods.

 

Waves of gasps and murmurs broke out.

 

“Citizens of Biville, let us remember that we should not judge by appearance alone. Forget whatever camp fire stories you heard as well. Look around. I see traveling people, former slaves, dwarfs, and one dragon. As our town grows, I hope with all my heart that this unique collection of people will grow as well. Lord Crimson, Please join me first then little Ashlee. ” Brother Thomas said wading into the water at the lowest point.

 

As tradition little Ashlee was instructed to remove her outer clothes. She joined Lord Crimson at his side and with a gentle hand on each head. Brother Thomas lowered them into the water. It was amusing sight to see Brother Thomas dunking the head of a dragon by his nose.

 

“Light Bringer, protect their souls and wash away any misdeeds. ” Brother Thomas said removing his hands quickly to raise them in the air. Ashlee came up with a smile having enjoying the dunk in the cool water. Lord Crimson rose up high with his head held up and faced to the heavens above with his eyes closed.

 

Then he lowered his head to gently nudge Ashlee in a playful way. The sight quite beautiful to see. Luanda realized her friend had planned this. If Lord Crimson approved of these half wolf looking people. Many others would follow his lead.

 

Brother Thomas helped Ashlee back to dry land and climbed out of the river. One of his monks brought him a bowl already filled with water. Brother Thomas withdrew a healing crystal to clean the water then blessed it with words.

 

He slowly walked over to where Luanda was sitting.

 

Using the step on the side of the wagon. He half climbed up to where Luanda was. Balancing the bowl with one hand.

 

Luanda held her daughter in her lap and Brother Thomas took a palm full of water and gently poured it over the newborn's head.

 

Amber fussed a bit and calmed when Brother Thomas laid his hand on her head.

 

“Light Bringer, protect this soul and do your best to guide her away from any misdeeds or ill fortunes in life. ” Brother Thomas said and handed the bowl off to a monk who then gently poured the water back into the river.

 

Brother Thomas stepped down and motioned for his fellow monks to follow him.

 

The crowd broke apart as the monks made their way back toward Stone Hill. The Bane family already gone from sight. Tomo and Lord Crimson walking down the road behind the wagon train heading for the back part of town. Another long day of building a road to the coast was ahead of them.

 

Thea was already getting the wagon turned around to head back to Luanda's home. The pounding of a blacksmith's hammer could be heard echoing as they left. Luanda didn't missed the fact that there always seemed to be a few extra Law keepers around her place these days. Luanda settled down for another day of child care and little work.

1