Crimson 12-15
151 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crimson:

 

Weeks flew by and the storms seem to grow worst at times. While wind could be an issue at times due to my wings. The rain never bother me one bit. I suspected snow would have little effect on my body as well.

 

Due to my ever increasing size. I can no longer go through the side alleyways or safely land between houses now.

 

I spent more of my time in the newest part of town sleeping in the open on afternoons and nights at my cave. As for the monks they were already starting the foundations and walls for future buildings. The area above my cave would be an open courtyard with gardens on the sides.

 

During the heavy rainy days the monks spent their time in the upper mine as their base camp. Even during the days of howling winds, I could hear them chipping away at stone. I peaked my head in once to see half finished engraved images on the walls or wide steps being formed from melted rock. The upper mine was to be their antechamber for visiting guests.

Thorin and his friends were perfecting the repeating pistol. While his oldest daughter was learning how to be a crystal mage. Unlike normal people who can just summon the power. Isabel could control it after a lot of practice. I even helped her with practice combat fighting using the magic stones.

 

As for Tomo's work, things were going good. He cleared the area by the cliff and a pair of the lifts were already in place. Below in the cove the beginnings of a crude pier were starting.

One afternoon, I was taking my normal afternoon nap while workers enjoyed their lunch. The ground was soaked from a storm the night before. Tomo came over with a small group of spear guards on horseback. I awoke and flexed my limbs then wings.

 

“Lord Crimson, a crippled ship just sailed into the cove. Two of the ship's masts have broken. It's O'marin design. ” Tomo said and I nodded then flicked my tail back to the town.

“Of course, I will summon Young Reynard right away. ” Tomo said and motioned for a runner to get on a horse.

 

I flew into the air and made my way to the cove to scout ahead. A short time later, I spotted the now anchored ship in the cove. Tomo was right. Two of the ship's masts were broken. Sails ripped and ropes tangled. Dark skin men or women were busy at work at setting things right.

 

As I flew lower I could smell men, women and gold. Lots of gold on board.

 

I was about to make a landing on the beach area. when I heard a battle cry inside my head that wasn't my own voice. Something blocked the sun above me.

 

I flipped over in time to collided with something slightly smaller then myself and emerald green.

 

We went tumbling into the sand and I kicked away from whatever had attacked me. Only to see another dragon.

 

It was a smaller version of me with a few differences between us. This green emerald dragon had slender horns then me and a barb looking tail with spikes sticking out.

 

“You will not harm my friends. ” A female voice said clearly in my head. I was so shocked I replied back without thinking how it was done.

 

“I wasn't. I just come to have a look and maybe talk. ” I said back and watched as the green

 

Emerald dragon took a few steps back with a shocked expression in her eyes. Clearly, she didn't expect me to reply.

 

“Wait, you can talk? ” The green dragon said and I nodded then answered her.

 

“Yeah, but I think this is more like projecting our thoughts to each other when we want too. ” I replied back.

 

“Who are you? ” The green dragon asked me.

 

“Before I was a dragon, no idea. Names, places, and even faces of people I knew are blanks in my head. People call me Crimson. Lord Crimson of Biville. ” I answered her.

 

“Same here. Woke up in an egg. Dark skin people all around me. They named me Jade for my scale color. I'm the new mother to the Seventh House” Jade said relaxing more as we chatted.

 

I relaxed as well and looked over at the ship. I could see people watching us through spy glasses. I could almost feel their confusion from where I sat.

 

“They must be wondering, why we are not fighting. As I understood it, Dragons are clever beasts who only want treasure. Somehow, we were people reborn into dragon bodies. ” Jade said.

 

“Yeah, I figured out that much myself. It's so nice to have a real conversation with someone. ” I said sounding excited, but I could feel that Jade felt the same way.

 

“No kidding. I have to tap my claws so many times with my speaker. She translates for me. ” Jade said showing me how it was done. Secretly, I was jealous on how efficient it was. The hand gesture system I used seem slow and clumsy now.

 

“I use hand signals like this and sometimes I just growl. ” I said and showed her a few. Jade seemed amused with my antics at copying human hand gestures.

 

“Do you live alone way out here or close to other people? ” Jade said looking at the crude pier then up at the lifts. Clearly seeing they were human made.

 

“I live with the people of Biville in peace. Stone Hill is my home. Used to belong to the dragon before me that carried the same name. I don't think, he was like us. He must of died ages ago, but people stayed away in fear of waking a sleeping dragon. ” I explained and Jade nodded to show she understood.

 

“The O'marin people raised me and taught me. Apparently, there was this prophecy that a dragon like me would be born. It was centuries ago, the last time it happen according to them. I'm not sure if the prophecy is true or not, but here I am. ” Jade said.

 

“Lucky us. Makes you wonder if we were terrible people or simply got a wish fulfilled at a price. ” I said having a lot of time to think about my fate on this world.

 

“I think, I was a decent person. As a dragon, I did kill a man once, but he was an assassin sent to kill me while I was still small. ” Jade said without shame.

 

“I almost killed a man and blinded two. They were trying to kidnap my friend and one of the men just stabbed a child. ” I said in return to know that she wasn't alone in doing something regretful.

 

There was a strange humming noise and I looked toward the ship. Someone on board was swinging a musical instrument of some sort by a thin rope. It rose and fell in pitch as it moved in a circle.

 

“They want me to return to the ship. Can we meet back here in an hour? ” Jade asked. I nodded and she took off flying.

 

I did the same heading back toward the town. I found young Reynard waiting for me along with Thorin. They were discussing matters.

 

Explaining things took longer then I expected, but Young Reynard translated everything perfectly once he understood.

 

“By the Light Bringer, another dragon like yourself. ” Thorin said shocked.

I let Reynard know that I was returning to the cove next.

 

“Okay, I'm going with you. Reynard, we need you too. ” Thorin said and I allowed them to climb onto my back.

 

We flew back and waited at the top of the cliff in the cleared area to scout for a few minutes. The day was overcast, but not raining.

 

Now, I got over my shock at seeing another dragon like myself . I looked down at the ship and study it. It was much wider then most sea vessels that I had seen. Clearly, a different style of design.

 

They done much to clean up the upper deck. The broken masts were gone, the sails rolled up and all of the tangled ropes were no longer there.

 

“Lord Crimson, On the beach below us. ” Reynard said leaning over to look from my back. I looked over the cliff's edge and there was the green dragon with a small party of people. A few row boats sat on the beach and a table was setup on the sand with food.

 

I glided down to the beach and landed some ways away from the group. The dark skin people stared at me then all bowed their heads as one.

 

“As a O'Marin custom. We greet you with respect and welcome you to our table. Forgive any trespass upon your land. ” Jade said and I nodded in return.

 

A woman next to Jade spoke these same words in the common tongue as she translated Jade's tapping claws.

 

“The young one wearing the armor is Reynard, he is my voice. The older one is Thorin. Our local black smith, town council member and father to Reynard. ” I said in return directly to Jade as they slid off my back.

 

Reynard looking splendid in his dragon armor.

 

Jade had positioned herself near a rock and tapped on it with her claws again. The brightly colored robe women took notice and started speaking.

 

“Welcome Thorin and Reynard of Biville. I'm Omara, Speaker for Jade, Mother Dragon for the Seventh House. Please sit at our table and accept us as guests upon your lands. ” Omara said and Thorin looked to me then over at the green Dragon figuring how they learned their names.

 

“It would be our honor. ” Thorin said and sat down looking over the various vegetables and dried meats. Some of them strange to his sense of smell and eye sight.

 

“We apologized for intruding upon your cove. A fierce storm damaged our ship. We were force to take shelter in this spot to make repairs. ” Omara said and waited for Thorin to respond.

 

“Not a problem at all. I'm just sorry you came so early. A few more months and we would have a nice proper dock here for all of you. ” Thorin said with a good nature smile.

 

“Indeed. I can see the foundations for a pier in place. We also saw the hauling lifts above us. Please let us eat, then we can discuss terms for a trade. ” Omara said and she started eating with a grace that most queens would have envy.

 

From a fire pit that was dug into the sand. A large fish was place in front of me. Cooked and seasoned.

 

It was a real treat for me since I rarely ate cooked fish of this size.

 

“We would have prepared more, but time was short. ” Jade said in our private communication.

 

“You have no idea. how much that I'm enjoying this fish right now. ” I said growling with a bit of pleasure.

 

The dark skin cooks were grinning hearing my reaction and seeing me greedily eat the fish.

 

“You honor my cooks. Lately, I grown a bit weary of fish. ” Jade said sounding amused.

 

“Tell me, Jade what brings you and your people out here. ” I asked.

 

“The houses of the O'Marin empire have gone to war with each other. In my wisdom, I decided to leave with every loyal member of the Seventh House. Two other Seventh House ships are out there somewhere looking for us. We were planning to settle on an island with the native people. Sadly, most island natives have been taken away for slaves and their islands are now under new rule. We were not welcomed there. After that, we set sail for the unclaimed lands which are here. For better or worse, our ocean adventure will have to end here due to our supply problems. It will take us time, but we will clear a section of jungle outside your lands to call home. ” Jade explained and I listened closely.

 

“So you don't agree with slavery? ” I asked getting a feel for her morals.

 

“Not at all. It's simply wrong. ” Jade said looking at me sharply. She was silently asking me if we kept slaves.

 

“I agree with you that is wrong. We have freed slaves and escaped ones living with us. ” I said proudly and Jade nodded looking relieved.

 

“Instead of starting over why not join up with us? The clearing above us would make a great location for a settlement. The cove is shielded with those tall rocky cliffs. So it has natural defenses already and you can hide ships off to the side for offense. ” I offered and the dark skin cooks were carrying a large pot that was filled with a sweet smelling drink. Another large pot was placed near Jade's meal. It was wine made from grapes.

 

“You would grant us land so easily? ” Jade asked seeming shocked.

 

“We have to work out terms and a price. My people will want to have access to the piers and goods that are bound to come in on ships. I did spend a great share of my treasure funding the road and the construction so far. ” I answered back and Jade seemed to expect my answer.

 

“Well, I willing to bet you can smell the gold that we have aboard our ship. I'm sure, we can work out a trade agreement. We will happily buy land from you and trade. Does this place have a name yet? ” Jade asked me.

 

“The Dragon's Mouth. ” I answered looking at the high cliffs walls to the sides of the cove. Jade snorted a little in amusement which drew the attention of Omara. Jade tapped out something and Omara grinned.

 

While me and Jade were chatting away. The Dark skin O'marin people were talking to Thorin and Reynard about the various dishes. Describing the taste and what it was made from.

 

“Jade just told me that your people call this place. The Dragon's mouth. It seems like fate as played a hand in bringing us here. ” Omara said nodding back at Jade then looking over at me.

 

“Your people weren't planning on making a town here?” Jade asked glancing up at the cliff where the clearing was.

 

“Maybe a few warehouses and a group of guards. Luanda, the first human that I fully trusted and my original voice. She got the idea that we should hang tall banners from the cliff side using pictures on what we need or what we are selling to any passing ships. ” I said remembering seeing her designs on paper.

 

It was a great way to employee nearly all the older women in town. Due to the size of the banners it taken months to get the banners ready. Which was okay considering making a straight and leveled road through heavy jungle was proving to take a long time.

“This Luanda didn't come with you today. ” Jade said in a curious way.

 

“She recently had a child. Motherly duties to her daughter. Reynard has taken up the role with a passion. ” I said in return.

 

“I do like his dragon armor. It never occurred to us to use the dragon scales like that. Most of my scales are used as cloaks for special ceremonies. ” Jade said studying Reynard's armor with her eyes. The boy had taken off his dwarf made helm to be more comfortable.

I described other uses we found for dragon scales and Jade nodded making mental notes.

 

“Mother Jade, perhaps some entertainment for our guests? ” Omara asked and Jade nodded.

Two men with long fighting staffs walked a little bit away.

 

The pair faced off with each other and there was a blur of swinging staffs after a few seconds. Sometimes, they kicked at each other when there was an opening. One man's staff broke into two halves and without missing a chance. The man started swinging the broken halves like two clubs.

 

It was an impressive display of fighting. The match quickly resulted into a wrestling match that ended up with the broken staff man winning the friendly duel.

 

Jade gave a deep growl of pleasure and each man return to bow before her. Jade tapped the ground with her claws.

 

“Mother Jade is pleased and you have honored her greatly with your fighting skills. Rest and drink deeply. ” Omara said and slowly the sound of music started. Some of O'Marins had pulled out something like flutes or small drums. The two fighters walked away to obey. Talking and laughing with each other as they went. Clearly, they were good friends.

Thorin being a music lover started nodding to the tune.

 

“Cheerful and it's not to fast. If only, I had my lute. ” Thorin said with a chuckle.

 

I described my town and Jade told me about her home then the places she had seen. I could tell from her mental tone that sea travel for her was getting a bit dull.

 

Jade told me about her old home made up of long grass lands, deserts and few forests. Doing her best to tell in details what the vast fortress cities were like. Each house ruled over a city. Hers was the last and weakest until they got a dragon.

 

When it seemed her house would rise to an equal position there was a sneak attack. Jade was force into killing an assassin and scaring the other intruders into surrendering. What concern her leaders of the Seventh House. That two of the intruders were from different houses judging from their clothing and weapons.

 

It was clear that the other houses were jealous or fearful of Jade. One day, she grow into a full size dragon to fight for the Seventh House.

 

“My people are mostly know for merchants on the high sea and fishermen by trade. ” Jade said finishing her story. Omara was telling the same story to Thorin.

 

As the meal finished everyone got down to business. We talked so long the tide was coming in. The first round of negotiations had just finished.

 

“I have to talk to the others on our town council, but so far everything looks good. ” Thorin said and helping his son onto my back. Thorin promised to return and our next meeting would take place in the clearing above us.

 

The next day, the other two O'Marin ships arrived together late in the evening. Much to my surprise, some of the council members didn't want the O'Marins here. It was Omara who made the best point during the talks. In my head, I could hear her wise words.

 

“How did you plan to protect the cove from pirates or other kingdoms? ” Omara asked us during the meeting and it was something we all overlooked. Sure, we had rifles and the new repeating pistols. Ships like hers had long range cannons.

 

O'Marins had ship cannons of different sizes and with one ship was badly damaged they had some cannons to spare for the dock's defenses. After Omara asked that question most of the protests against them went silent. Part of the deal now included that they would give us some on their cannons for the defense of the city. The damaged ship was going to be scrapped and used to build temporary shelters.

 

Once it was revealed that O'Marin had plenty of gold to sell for food or materials. Efforts to get the path widen to a road that to led Dragon's Mouth increased.

 

As for me and Jade. I showed her the town of Biville and introduce her to many of my friends. It did amused Jade that I worked along the people of Biville who did the digging. Jade had been groomed more for leadership role among the O'Marins.

 

As Jade got her people settled and the beginnings of the town of Dragon's Mouth started.

Far away from Biville. The northern lands were experiencing heavy snow. The lands below that area they were dealing with rain that washed out roads.

 

Wagon travel from the North to the South slowed and only Port's Mouth would trade with us or passing ships. For now, the cove was controlled and protected by the O'Marins. They setup the two remaining ships to create a spot to lay cross fire on any aggressive ship using their cannons. The almost hidden cove now became a trap for any hostile ships.

 

Then the day came when the last tree fell to complete the way for the road and the pier was finished. We celebrated and remembered those lost during the construction. Poisoned plants or snakes and the rare accident that occurred had taken a few worker's lives.

 

O'Marins had homes in place using supplies from their ships and were busy working with the former Island people on making warehouses and basic buildings all towns needed. Once the defenses were in place. They officially opened Dragon's Mouth port and display the banners for needed goods on the left. Along the right side of the cliffs divided by the lifts were the banners displaying what was being sold.

 

I was shocked to see how many people that were crammed aboard the last two pairs of ships.

Flag poles proudly displayed over the individual warehouses the flag of Biville or the new flag of Dragon's Mouth. The newer flag displaying a green dragon with a gold background. Along the border of the banners were the words in various languages proclaiming the Seventh House of the O'Marin Empire.

 

During all this time, Jade had found a cave hidden by vines that covered both the front entrance and a back entrance. The view from the entrance was within sight of the cove. The back entrance curved around to face toward the open sea which made a good look out spot for ships traveling along the coast.

 

Oddly enough, the Seventh Royal home for the ruling leaders was being built over the land where the cave would surely be. I suspected that a human size entrance would be made so Omara could visit her dragon friend. The vines on the cove side were cut away to prevent anyone from climbing down into Jade's home uninvited.

 

Judging from the amount of people staying in Dragon's Mouth. Those O'Marin ships must have been packed full of her people.

 

Since a good number of the Island people were freed from road work. Many of the skilled workers went to work for Jade. O'Marin houses were a lot like our own, but more rounded. Like their clothing they seemed to prefer a lot of colors.

 

Jade soon became busy with planning and directing her people. With so many O'marins around some came to live in the town of Biville. Their unique style of cooking and new crops were soon introduce. Many of them were highly educated to take on roles as teachers in our new school.

 

I kept myself busy with flying supplies and visiting Jade in the late evenings. It was one night I returned to my home after spending a few hours with Jade. Upon landing inside my cave I noticed a new smell. A female child had been here and something else I only smelled at the healers house, sickness.

 

This sickness was fresh unlike the faded smell I picked up at the healers house. I followed it and discovered it led to one of the smaller vaults I left opened.

 

Looking over the various small chests something looked off. I counted them then knew for sure a few were missing. Someone had slipped in here and stolen them.

 

I followed the smell from the small stone vault to the edge of my cave. Jumping down, I landed on the sloping road. Here I picked up a man's scent, wagon, and a horse. None of these smelled like anyone that I knew from Biville.

 

I looked up toward where the man's odor had gone some hours ago. Up to the upper mine then back down not long after.

 

I decided to follow the sick girl's scent instead. Somewhere, out there was a sick girl and she could be dying. A few short flights and confirmed I was on the right track a few times.

Surprising enough, I was heading toward the main bank. The area was mostly devoid of people say for Law Keepers making patrols. I moved on from there to the back of the meetinghouse where most of Biville government workers spent their day.

 

Here the patrols were fewer. The grounds were wide open for flower gardens and a walking park for everyone to enjoy. It was the hacking coughs that I heard that drew me around back.

A small female voice repeating the same thing over and over almost in a whisper now.

 

“You promised....You Promised. ” The child seemed to be saying in a rasping whisper.

 

Curled up between two bushes and abandoned was the sickly girl. The smell of the man and wagon had been here, but long gone from sight. Whoever used the girl to steal the treasure from my cave had left her to die.

 

As I peered down at her she focused her eyes on me. Her eyes had that glassy look and she was sweating a lot. She looked only a bit younger then Reynard. Skinny and dressed in a cloak I realized a few seconds later that match the rock side of Stone Hill. The color would blend into the rock.

 

“noooo, stay away. ” The girl said blinking as she try to focused in on my face.

 

I reached out carefully taking the girl into my clawed fingers picking her up. Without thinking about it. I lifted up into the air with a mighty jump then flapping my wings.

 

I flew hard and landed just outside the main doors to the healers house. Using the flat side of my tail I bang hard on the outside door striking the metal plate below the knocker.

 

The door opened as a startled Isabel looked at me. An older woman soon joined her and saw the little girl at my feet.

 

The old stern looking woman, I knew to be one of the head healers ran down the short steps. She looked over the child and spoke to Isabel.

 

“Quickly, this child is gravely ill. We need to get her to a cot and grab the largest healing stone we have. ” The Head Healer said and picked up the girl with ease.

 

I walked around the side of the building which was wide enough for me. Through a window I watched. Because it was so quiet in this part of town, I heard everything inside.

 

The sickly girl was already on a cot and Isabel was focusing her power into a very large green crystal. Light exploded and a beam of green light shined over the young child.

 

She stopped shivering and her breathing ease. Isabel barely made it to a chair to sit down.

 

“Normally, we only do enough to give them a good fighting chance. This girl is too close to death for my liking. Appears to be a beggar or a street kid. Strange, someone else didn't help her. Inns, monks or even a Law Keeper would have taken her in for a while. Odd, that she doesn't have any fresh clothes, food or a few coins. ” The head healer said using a light stone to look at the girl's eyes then moved down her body.

 

“No telling where Lord Crimson found her. Maybe, she collapsed outside of town. ” Isabel said weakly and grabbed a cup of water.

 

“You head on home, girl. An entire day worth of work and then you bring a child back from the brink of death. I would have passed out on the floor if I had try that. ” The head healer said and looked up to see me outside looking in.

 

“Maybe, I just ask Lord Crimson to carry me home. ” Isabel said with a smile noticing I was outside.

 

I met Isabel out front and let her ride on my back to her home. She nearly fell asleep on the way there. She bid me a good night and I went back to the healers house. The head healer saw me returned and nodded. I curled up in the open yard on the side of the house to sleep.

 


 

Reina:

 

Little Reina awoke not expecting the comfortable cot and a feeling of being cleaned. A stern looking woman was sleeping in a high back chair not far away. The uniform was that of a Healer.

 

Had Nick kept his promise. Then Reina remembered his betrayal. Reina had been ill and was only getting worse. The man, she knew only as Nick which was his nickname promised to take her to the healers house. All she had to do was help him steal a few small chests full of coins from a dragon.

 

Nick's plan was pretty simple. He would go pretend to see Brother Thomas and confess some minor misdeeds in life. She would climb up the side of the Stone Hill from the wagon into the cave. Using a rope she carried up with her she lower down a few chests.

 

Nick assured her the dragon wouldn't miss a tiny bit of his treasure. The whole ordeal had been really hard on Reina, but she kept up her end of the deal. She had passed out in the wagon after wards. She didn't wake until they were back in town.

 

Nick had thanked her for her hard work and Reina was then kicked off the back of the wagon. She try to stand and run after him, but her body was so weak by then.

 

Reina was so thirsty and hungry now. She saw the cup of water by her bed. Reaching out she knocked the cup over spilling the water. The Head Healer awoke with a start as the water poured out onto the floor.

 

“Lay still, child. I will get you a new cup of water. ” The head healer said in a gentle tone.

Reina took the smallest of sips before she found her voice.

 

“So hungry. ” Reina said and the head healer nodded in full understanding.

 

“I imagined so. I had to use my best healer on you. Your own body takes its on toll after a major healing. I dare say you were close to death, child. ” The Head Healer said with a gentle smile she only showed to her youngest charges.

 

“I saw the Dark One coming for my soul. ” Reina said shamefully.

 

“Oh, why do you think that? ” The head healer asked amused.

 

“I did bad things. I lied, stole food, and money. ” Reina answered and sniffed a little.

 

“What did he look like? ” The Head Healer said with a slight smirk. Reina seen that look before when adults didn't take little kids seriously.

 

“He had yellow eyes and his hand was clawed. He had only three fingers. Blood red skin and he was the size of a small house” Reina said describing what she could remembered in her fevered state.

 

“Did he look like that perhaps? ” The head healer said pointing and Reina turned her head slightly panic. She saw only a dragon waking up just outside the window. Early morning light was showing.

 

“Oh. ” Reina said then blushed with embarrassment. She realized it wasn't the Dark One after all.

 

“Who do you think brought you here last night? You stay right there. I can smell our cook busy at his job. I will pop into the kitchen and get you something to eat. ” The Head Healer said with a chuckle.

 

Reina barely noticed when the head healer left the room. She stared at the dragon. Lord Crimson was the name everyone called him. She hadn't seen him since coming to Biville from Port's Mouth. She had stayed hidden in the covered wagon and out of sight the entire time.

 

Lord Crimson looked in on her and tilted his head studying her. Reina moved her hand to run it through her hair. Someone had wash and brushed her short hair during the night.

 

“Fried eggs, toasted bread, and some seasoned rice. ” The Head Healer said and Reina stomach growled at the smell of it.

 

Careful, not to eat too fast. Reina used a spoon to savor every bite of the food.

The head healer went to the window and opened it in the middle.

 

“Lord Crimson, the girl will be just fine. At least a day before she can move around. ” The Head Healer said.

 

Lord Crimson nodded then took off flying.

 

“I suspect, he will be back tonight to check in on you. I'm Helka, The Head Healer here.

 

"What is your name?” Helka asked.

 

“Reina.” Reina said softly.

 

“Reina is such a lovely name. You got some family in the area? ” Helka asked next refilling the girl's cup of water.

 

“Pa died at sea, pirates. Mama got sick then died after drinking a lot. Old Madam, looked after me when she could. Even cut my hair short, so men wouldn't do nasty things to me. She even told me to dress like a boy too. She went to sleep one night and didn't wake up because she was too old. ” Reina answered in such a way she told this story before.

 

“Your from Port's Mouth then? ” Helka asked next making mental notes. Already mentally running names down of couples who could possibly take the girl in.

 

“Yeah, but I lived behind the baker's shop in the alleyway. ” Reina said not missing her living spot. Not to mention watching out for slave traders. With Island people getting harder to find. It wasn't uncommon for poor or homeless to be picked up.

 

Some time after Reina cleaned her plate. Helka helped her walk to the privy and waited outside.

 

After cleaning up Reina was helped back to bed. It wasn't long after that Helka was called away. Being a Healers house, Helka had other people to tend too and see to any new major injuries.

 

Reina was left with her thoughts. She decided the next rule that she live by was to trust no one right away. Every one she ever knew died or leave her behind to die. Helka was nice enough, but surly she was getting paid for healing her. People being paid have to be polite to keep their job.

 

People couldn't be trusted. Reina's eyes went to the window to the spot where Lord Crimson had slept. She had stolen from the dragon and he helped her. It didn't make sense to her.

Healers came by every once in a while to check in on her. One Healer gave her a writing book to practice her letters. Lunch came and went with a good meal of fried chicken bits.

 

Reina nap after lunch and didn't wake until late evening when dinner was being served. It was a soup which caused her to take another trip to the privy.

 

After Dinner, Lord Crimson returned and settled into the side yard. Helka, came into view and Reina watched as she accepted a bag full of coins from him. When Helka was out of sight. Reina went to the window and opened it. Quietly, she slipped out wearing a white gown and walked right up to Crimson who was laying on his side.

 

“I...I..sorry, I stole from you. Nick said, he needed the money to pay the healers to make me better. I know, it was wrong. ” Reina said and expected some type of punishment.

 

Reina watched as his wing came around pushed her forward a little. Lord Crimson made a soft growl noise then he nodded.

 

Reina felt like she got a hug and he was saying it's okay. Reina hugged Crimson back and tears left her eyes. Reina curled up against his body and study his scales for a while. Then she looked up at the sky just as the stars started to come out. Crimson laid his head down joining her looking up at the stars. Reina told him everything. Her name and life in Port's Mouth.

 

It seemed like a long time they stay that way Reina chatting away.

 

“There she is. ” Ysmay said from the open window and Helka joined her.

 

The pair of women disappeared and came around the corner of the building a minute later.

 

“I should have known. Lord Crimson is a push over when it comes to kids. ” Ysmay said teasing and Helka smiled. Lord Crimson raised his head and snorted at their comment.

 

“Reina, this is Ysmay. Her husband is Carack. Both are good friends with Lord Crimson. Their oldest son is pretty much grown. I have talked with them both and they have agreed to take you in. ” Helka explained.

 

Reina looked at the woman and she appeared nice enough, but Reina wasn't just going to trust just any person.

 

“I rather stay with Lord Crimson. ” Reina said and huddled in closer.

 

“Live in a stinky old cave. I have a guest room with a nice soft bed and I'm a good cook. ” Ysmay said in a light hearted tone.

 

“Lord Crimson spends most of his time away, child. I know, what if Ysmay allows you to visit Crimson. The dwarfs have step up the guards to keep unwanted intruders away. Ysmay and Carack know nearly all the dwarfs. Also they live pretty close to Stone Hill. ” Helka said knowing something like this could be an issue with the girl.

 

Helka had seen the way Reina looked at Crimson when she realized who brought her to the healers.

 

Lord Crimson shifted himself up to stand on his back legs and made funny gestures with his front limbs.

 

Helka having a lot of experience with the hard of hearing or the deaf in her lifetime. Easily translated his meaning.

 

“She can be my voice when Reynard is busy. ” Helka said now speaking for Crimson. Reina saw that Lord Crimson was using his three clawed hands to talk to them all.

 

“I don't know. You think, she is clever enough to learn how to speak for a dragon? ” Ysmay asked Helka deciding to play it up a bit.

 

“That writing book was filled out correctly. Of course, she have to go to school and be a good girl. ” Helka commented.

 

“I can learn. ” Reina said standing up.

 

“She appears to be a little younger then Reynard, but he can teach her the more advance gestures. We can get Luanda to show her the basics. ” Ysmay said and Helka nodded in agreement.

 

Weeks later, Reina started her day waking up in a clean bed and put on clothes more suited for boys then girls. Ysmay did try once to get her to wear a dress, but Reina had refused.

Carack her new father was a nice enough guy. Just last night, he told her a story just before bed time. The tiger and the dragon. Reina knew the story to be true long before Carack ended the story with him saying I witness the end of the fight myself.

 

Fendrel was alright as a new brother. He recently moved in with his uncle renting a room above the wood shop. One day, he planned to run the business himself in a partnership.

Reina also got introduce to her new cousins. Muriel always like to play with her dolls and Reina played along to keep her happy. Reynard had been nice enough to give her his old wooden sword so she could practice. Isabel has it turned out was a Crystal Mage in training. She had been the one to heal Reina from her sickness.

 

Reina didn't want to get attached to them, but everyone was so nice to her. Slowly, she found herself trusting them as the days went by.

 

Ysmay turned out to be a lot of fun. Reina soon found out that Ysmay was very skillful with knives. Her new mother could juggle, throw, and fight with them.

 

The first morning, Reina walked down stairs and saw her new mother practicing with the wooden knives. Reina just sat on the steps watching. Trying to remember every move.

Ysmay had noticed her and went through her normal morning routine. Then she waved Reina over. Reina was given a set of wooden knives like Ysmay's. Everyday before breakfast they practiced. Ysmay telling her when she should use her skills to fight.

 

“You think I can get some dragon armor too like Reynard?” Reina asked after successfully blocking one of Ysmay's knife thrust. The second wooden knife tapped her leg a second later.

 

“I think that be a good idea. You have seen Reynard's scar. He got stabbed by a bad man and only his wooden armor saved his life. If he had dragon armor on that day the knife would have bounced off. It's also important that people see you as the voice of Lord Crimson. ” Ysmay said showing Reina how to flip a knife around to counter her previous strike.

 

“Reynard says that I must watch Lord Crimson's expressions, eyes and even the way he moves. I have to watch my own tone so there are no misunderstandings. ” Reina said taking each lesson to heart.

 

“I use to worry about Reynard. He was always a day dreamer and took to playing as a knight a bit too much. After he got stabbed, he started taking things more seriously. That boy has come close to death twice now. ” Ysmay said shaking her head a little if trying to clear away any bad memories.

 

“The weapons master is teaching me at the school. He said I was quick to learn the basics. I really like some of the O'marin teachers. Math and philosophy mostly. ” Reina said.

 

“What about the mad tinkerer?” Ysmay asked hearing stories about the man.

 

“His science class is fun. He got all these models of things he has made. Horseless wagon, a toy hawk that flies and he can make lightning inside a glass bottle. ” Reina explained and Ysmay took an interest in this. It would explained why the man would buy a lot of the chip crystal stones in town.

 

“You are doing so well. You better get dressed for school. ” Ysmay said and knew the girl would go back upstairs and dress in some very boyish clothing.

 

Reina attended her classes sometimes getting bored with the subjects. Other times she was disappointed they ended so soon. After school, she go visit her other friends and greet every Law Keeper dwarf by name on the way there.

 

They all knew her face well by now. As a habit, she went up to Crimson's cave. There was even an alcove carved out of Stone Hill to serve as a guard station. There was always a pair of guards on duty. Monks brought them meals or walked down to talk with them for the latest news from town.

 

Reina knocked on the door to Luanda's house and the woman answered it letting her in.

“Is Amber awake? ” Reina asked in a low voice.

 

“Not to worry. She just woke up just before you knocked. ” Luanda said and pointed to a spot on the floor. Lying on a blanket was a small baby girl dressed only in a loin cloth.

She squirmed and wiggled on the floor with wide eyes.

 

“Let us begin. ” Luanda said.

 

Reina went through the hand signs for basic household items and combined them with what she learned from Reynard during their free time.

 

Seeing Reina was getting most of the gestures right. Luanda offered to take her over to the back part of town. Reina liked to visit Ashlee after seeing Luanda. Mostly just to play with the dogs at the Bane household.

 

“You think Ashlee got another dog? ” Reina asked and Luanda only chuckled a bit.

 

“They must have a pack by now. Plus, today they are bringing more of my people to be freed. ” Luanda answered recalling how nearly every stray dog found its way to the Bane household. Mr. Bane taken it upon himself to train the dogs and insured they were friendly toward children and locals.

 

Ashlee could go up to the meanest of dogs and pet it without fear. It was an odd quirk of their family curse.

 

They decided to take a rented carriage with a driver. Since the O'marins help completed the docks in Dragon's Mouth. Renting wagons or carriage with a driver had become a pretty average sight now. Fees always depended on how far you wanted to go.

 

As they reached the newer parts of the town. Here the different people mixed more.

They arrived in time to see the covered wagons already stopped.

 

Luanda stepped out with Reina. Amber was secured in a carrying sling.

 

This time it was the O'marin people who needed the extra labor. Things were carried out differently this time. The island slaves were huddled into a group with Law Keepers on all sides.

 

Behind them were freed Island people preparing tables with food and drink. Reina noticed that the chained people looked more relaxed then she guessed. No doubt they knew where they were. Stories had spread about Biville.

 

Omara showed up and nodded to Luanda. Reina was told to stay behind with the crowd of onlookers.

 

“Welcome my people to Biville. I'm Luanda and this good woman here. Omara, Speaker for Jade. No doubt you heard the stories and rumors. You have looked around and see with your very own eyes our people are free here. Most were purchased with coin and some escaped to our town to be granted freedom. ” Luanda said and those in the crowd raised their fists up to show their wrists were free of chains.

 

“Most of the houses around you are empty and we have people ready to show you into your new home. Here you will have choices. Some Island people have left us to fight for our old home. Many have stayed here to work and live among us in peace. There will be a third choice some citizens of Biville have already taken. O'marins have come to these lands to make their own town. Just a ways away is a port town called The Dragon's Mouth. Ruled by none other then Jade. ” Luanda said raising her hands in a prearranged signal and from above two winged creatures flew down.

 

A green dragon followed by a red dragon. The slaves did well to hide their fear from what Reina saw. This time Omara stepped forward to speak as she stood next to Jade.

Reina watched the green dragon's claws as she tapped them on the ground.

 

“Mother Dragon, Jade of the Seventh House greets you. I'm Omara. I speak for Mother Dragon for she has no voice. Three hours away in that direction is Dragon's Mouth. Our port town is small, but growing in size. We have homes, but need more to be built. We value those with skills and hard workers. Because we are a port town. There the danger is far greater. Pirates, slave traders, and even kingdom ships may decide we are worth taking over. So, we also asked for fighters and warriors to join us as well. Jade has restored your freedom using much of her own gold. ” Omara said and gestured.

 

Men and women with tools came forth. They were holding a simple hammer and a dull spike. With calm voices and gentle gestures they started the process of freeing the slaves.

Omara waited until everyone was freed of the chains and neck collars.

 

“This is Lord Crimson. He shares dominion over Biville with the wise council who live here. Today, each of you will be paid a bag of coins to start your life as a gift from him. I'm told the gift system for new citizens will end in a few months time. If you leave by ship today after refusing citizenship in either town. You come back with whatever you can carry. If you live long enough after leaving these lands and away from the protection we offer. ” Omara said and paused so the back cover of a wagon was pulled away.

 

Here, a wagon was full of prepared bags of coins. Guards and a men with log books waited beside the wagon.

 

“I have been to your island homes. It broke my heart to see your lands taken and your people enslaved. We were not welcomed there. So, we sailed on and found friends here instead. ” Omara said and laid a hand on Crimson's leg before going on with her speech.

 

“As O'Marin tradition demands. We shall eat first before you decide. Talk with whoever you like. ” Omara said and Law Keepers step away from the former slaves and went to patrol or stand in pairs alert for any trouble.

 

Slowly, Reina watched the braver ones step away to take a seat at a table. Entire families moved next and it didn't take long before they all were eating or drinking. Handshakes and friendly greetings were exchanged as freed Island people started to mingle with the newly arrived people.

 

Lord Crimson and Mother Jade laid down keeping their upper part of their bodies upright.

Children from Biville rushed over to climb over them. Like Crimson, Jade had a soft spot for children as well. Since her title was Mother, she would indulge children in their play.

 

A tug on Reina's arm caught her attention.

 

“Ashlee. ” Reina said seeing the younger girl. The wolf like human face didn't bother her in the slightest.

 

“Come and play? ” Ashlee asked and Reina waved a hand over to Luanda who had noticed them. She waved them off already knowing what was being asked.

 


 

Crimson:

 

I looked over the crowd and was pleased despite the recent problem.

 

“Still worried about the town's money issue. ” Jade said through our shared thought projection.

 

“The winter just North of us is hurting us. Trade as dropped and there is only so much we can grow to sell. Your crops are needed to feed your people. It won't be long until I have to empty the larger vaults just to keep us going. ” I replied back.

 

“Shame, we can't sell those repeating pistols or rifles. I have heard what the other kingdoms are like from many trusted sources. It's best that we keep those weapons to ourselves for now. I noticed you keep the cannons that we sold to you out of sight. A very wise precaution. We had to recently scare off one pirate ship. Omara was all for letting it sail into the cove. Would have been a nasty surprise waiting for them. I reminded her, that we didn't have a jail or prison just yet. If they come again, I will let them see me as I toast their sails as a warning. ” Jade said as a little boy tripped over one of her claws.

 

One of the O'Marins who tended to Jade helped the boy up and dusted him off. The little boy ran around her other claws more mindful of the trip hazards.

 
 

“It's only a matter of time before the new pistols get out into the world. Someone will copy the dwarf design sooner or later. It will be a cruder version, but it will happen one day. ” I said back amused by Jade's intentions for a pirate captain foolish enough to try again.

“Spies in any size empire are always a problem. Best spies are the ones you know about. Feed them false information with a hint of truth. ” Jade said sounding please if she had done that sort of thing before.

 

There was a bang sound as something small exploded. I located the direction of the sound within seconds. Jade looked in the same direction.

 

From the back of a house near the back gate. I saw a small plume of smoke was rising. The children who been climbing over us had fled back to their parents. Law Keepers were assuring the crowd everything was okay.

 

“Let's go check that out. ” I said to Jade and together we walked down the road to investigate. Omara joining us by half jogging to keep up.

 

We split up to come around both sides of the house to find a man dusting himself off. His few assistants were brushing at their clothes.

 

Two tables were set out with various devices and what looked like metal wires ran from a small water wheel that had been setup in the river.

 

My eyes caught the light flicking in a clear glass jug as the power jumped from one wire to another.

 

“Do you feel that? ” Jade asked me. There was shock in her voice.

 

I felt it a few seconds later. Cold coming from a metal box on the far end of the table.

“Lord Crimson, so sorry if we disturb your party. ” The man said and noticing that two large dragons flanked both sides of his back yard.

 

“Jade, Mother Dragon of the Seventh House. Wishes to know what is that? ” Omara asked after Jade had tapped at the ground.

 

The man looked and smiled. Putting on a leather glove he reach into the metal box and pulled out a very light blue crystal.

 

“This here is the first ever magic crystal to be created by science. Combination of water and air crystal, A cold crystal. ” The man said and his assistants were patting him on the back.

 

“Is that what it is?” a new voice said and I looked down to see the dwarf Dunan Malore was there. Apparently, he came out here to see the slaves freed and recruit some new workers. Recently, Dunan Malore had been busy with a new cave system his people discovered.

 

“I'm so sorry. My name is Mister Timothy Tin, The Mad Tinkerer. ” Mister Tin said with a good nature smile.

 

“Tell me, mister Tin. How did you do it? ” Dunan Malore asked and Omara listened as Mister Tin explained the process in simple terms.

 

I was busy chatting with Jade. That cold crystal reminded me of something from my old life.

 

“You know, if that cold crystal is stored in a metal box. Food could be kept fresh for a lot longer. We could even freeze it for long term storage. I can't recall what we called those cold boxes. ” I said to Jade.

 

“Why not just call them that. Cold Boxes. This, we could sell to the world. Pull our resources together. Convert one of the big warehouse into a huge shop and make cold boxes. ” Jade said drawing a basic design of a cold box into the dirt.

 

“You see here. The lightening travels through this metal wires which is coated with a certain tree sap material. That powers, my catalyst box here which reshapes the crystals into a new form. ” Mister Tin said showing them the ruined metal box. He had set the cold crystal back into the metal box.

 

“You need thicker metal sides and it should have a valve for pressure to escape from. I worked with steam water pipes long enough to learn the hard way. ” Dunan Malore said figuring out what had gone wrong.

 

“Pardon, Mother Jade along with Lord Crimson worked out a use for your cold crystal. ” Omara said and showed them the drawing Jade had made in the dirt. She went on to explain the basic idea on how it should work.

 

Dunan Malore commented on details to work out.

 

“Mister Tin, would you considered a partnership with Mother Jade and Lord Crimson to mass produce these cold boxes? This could also help fund future projects for making new magic crystals. ” Omara asked.

 

“Don't go thinking that you can keep me out of this deal, you two overgrown lizards. You need dwarf craftsmanship to make this work. You can count me in on this. This idea smells like a gold mine. ” Dunan Malore said.

 

“It's just not new crystals I have in mind. Let me show you. ” Mister Tin said and ran into his home to come out a minute later carrying small toy versions of ideas he had.

The man was an inventor of all manner of things.

 

“Using a crystal powered steam engine. This is my idea for a horseless carriage. All you have to do is fill this metal box with water. I call this my hawk flier. Using air crystals, in theory a person could fly by gliding on the wind. ” Mister Tin said showing them his toy models he must have created.

 

Dunan Malore eyes were fixed on the little models nodding. Clearly he was eager to start working on larger versions.

 

“So a partnership will have to be worked out. Lord Crimson and Mother Jade will fund the projects for a share of the profits. Dunan Malore's people will be granted the rights to work on the more complex parts and have the same deal as the dragons. We can work out the details later. Also we should get others may wish to invest as well. ” Omara said after communicating with Jade.

 

We just worked out a time to meet again when three rings from the front gate bells could be heard in the far distance.

 

“Jade, I have to go. That is a signal for trouble at the front gates. ” I said and Jade nodded.

 

I flew to the open spot before the front gates and Thorin was there with young Reynard.

The front gates had been closed and the street was being cleared of wagons. Law Keepers were gathering for a fight if called upon.

 

“A lot of Men from Angmar are here. Soldiers from the look of them and they have a man size cage on a wagon. I will speak with them first. Son, you stay down there with Lord Crimson. ” Thorin explained from the top of the wall where he stood.

 

Listening closely, I could hear men and horses coming down the road toward us. I could smell the leather and metal armor along with food supplies.

 

Thorin was looking over the wall. A short time later the marching men and horses stopped.

 

“State your business. ” Thorin called out.

 

“I'm Lord Frit and these lands are now under the rule of King Angmar the sixth. By order of the king this town is to be seized. I demand you open these gates and hand over Lord Crimson. We will not tolerate any self proclaimed lord who's crimes are many. Including unlawfully freeing slaves. ” Lord Frit said loudly as he did his best to project his voice.

 

I snorted at that last bit.

 

“These lands were unclaimed before. The town of Biville abandoned. By right of common law, Lord Crimson claimed these lands and has welcomed our people to settle here. We will not open our gates to any hostile force. A good piece of advice for you. Your going to need a bigger cage to hold Lord Crimson if you want him. ” Thorin said and chuckles came from the guards on the wall.

 

“You take us for fools. We have heard the rumors and wild stories. That you all are ruled by a dragon. What nonsense, it's a trick to fool the ignorant common person. ” Lord Frit said shouting back. I could tell he was some distance from the gate. Staying out of range of arrows shot no doubt.

 

I looked at Reynard and flexed my wings and looked at the front gate. Reynard nodded and realized my intent. He called up to his father.

 

“Lord Crimson will meet with Lord Frit. ” Reynard called up and walked to climb up the steps.

I made sure I had the room and got a good running start. I leaped into the air and took a very short flight to land in the open area before the gates.

 

I assumed the fat man on the lead horse was Lord Frit. He had over a hundred men behind him with supply wagons.

 

“Lord Frit, May I introduce Lord Crimson. ” Thorin called loudly and amusing to see the riders doing their best to control their horses. Those in the back and could see me clearly were already retreating back. Perhaps out of range of any fire breathing attacks.

 

I turned so my entire body blocked the gates completely. On the wall, Reynard walked to the side to get a view of my clawed limbs. Once, I was sure that young Reynard could see my limbs. I made the hand gestures he knew well.

 

“Lord Crimson, greets you Lord Frit. Gives you this one warning. The land to the left and right on the road you stand on belongs to the town of Biville. Any army that dares to march down this road uninvited will be considered our enemies. Come only to trade or to make peace with us. ” Reynard said and his voice carried well.

 

“This beast dares to tell me...” Lord Frit started to say, but I had enough of his voice already. I roared and that sent his men running. Horses bucked their riders off and knocked other men down as they ran. I saw a very pale looking Lord Frit in full panic as he kicked his horse into action.

 

I imagined they wouldn't stop running until they reached the main road. I had a feeling that Port's Mouth was their next target. I would have to talk to Thorin and the other council members to get an idea of what forces we were up against. Did this King Angmar the Sixth have a fleet of navy ships? I asked myself. Jade would have to be warned if so.

 

An hour later, we gathered the entire council and talked outside. Thorin explained what had happen and most agreed with my tactic in scaring them off for now. Some did not, but the dice had been tossed already.

 

“I like to have scouts with a waiting horse on the far end of the road. One of the many advantages, we have is the jungle itself. Poisonous snakes, plants and illnesses you can pick up in the jungle. They have to use the road or try to take the harbor in Dragon's Mouth. Lord Crimson has already alerted Jade of the danger. We can assume they know about Dragon's Mouth already. I suspect they will take Port's Mouth next. ” Thorin said laying out a map showing the area.

 

“How long until we can expect an army? ” Luanda asked having left Amber with Thea.

“Weeks or months. No more then three months if they send a navy force around the same time. If they take Port's Mouth they can sail down along the coast to gather their forces. They can use message birds to send word. ” Tomo said and he had the look of someone who been in combat long ago.

 

“They will pretend to make peace through words alone and refuse to sign anything. Then they will attack. ” Luanda said and I could hear the truth in her words.

 

“They will try to take the harbor next. Maybe, late into the night. ” Tomo said and nodded if he remembered something that happen long ago to his people.

 

“Like thieves in the night. Another advantage that we can use are our repeating rifles and pistols. We need to form our own army and train them. . I also recommend a fallback point for the women and children. I'm sure Brother Thomas would let us use the top of Stone Hill as a last fall back point. ” Thorin said looking at the top of Stone Hill where the beginnings of buildings could be seen.

 

I gestured to Young Reynard.

 

“We should ask for volunteers to fight, help build and store extra food. Lord Crimson, met with a man who invented a new type of magic Crystal that makes things cold. ” Reynard said as he spoke for me.

 

“Aye, I seen it with my own eyes. The clever lizards came up with a metal box right there on the spot for meat and vegetables. We have our mines and caves to store supplies. This cold box idea has it uses. We can hold the lower road to Stone Hill until the main body of any army comes. ” Dunan Malore said not part of the town council, but representing his people in this matter.

 

“I can think of a few women who can fight. We could ask them to defend the sloping road up to the top of Stone Hill. My oldest daughter is a Crystal Mage in training. My sister, Ysmay is an expert with knives. It couldn't hurt to test everyone in the town to see if more Crystal Mages are among us. I'm sure that Ysmay could hold classes on knife fighting. ” Thorin said sounding grim.

 

Clearly, he didn't want his loved ones involved, but everyone was in the same boat.

“I know more that we can count on. Many of our people use to perform on horseback. We can shoot and sword fight. ” Mr. Xalvador said as he was still the coin master of Biville.

From there more details were worked out and it was agreed who would do what.

 

As Luanda predicted a week later, Lord Frit came back with only a small escort. This was done under a banner of a truce. It was decided he meet with only a small fraction of the council. We held the meeting the same place as our outside meeting place.

 

I attended as well watching as Lord Frit went a bit pale when he caught sight of me. Reynard dressed in full dragon armor and slightly younger Reina there as well.

 

Thorin and Luanda sat toward my end of the table with Tomo by Luanda's side. Dunan Malore sat next to Thorin along with Omara representing Jade. We weren't sure if they knew about a second dragon so we wanted to keep that hidden.

 

One of Lord Frit men announced our guest before he sat down on the far end of the table. Thorin noticed one soldier appeared to be a female. With her helm on he couldn't make out her features.

 

“Lord Frit, ambassador to King Angmar the Sixth. ” The guard called out. Lord Frit took his seat then as his body guards spread out. Most of them eyed me. The one thing they couldn't protect him from was my fire breath.

 

As I looked at each one I saw one man had an arm brace with crystals attached to it. So, they brought along a crystal mage.

 

“I have been in touch with the king and explained matters to him. All of this was merely a terrible mistake. You see, we thought citizens of Biville had been tricked into thinking there was a dragon on their side. Magician's trick or a bit of performance art. Once, the king learned the dragon was real. He has reconsidered his previous orders. We wish to entered into a peaceful trade agreement. ” Lord Frit said and motioned for one of his men. One man brought out a cup and the female guard poured him a drink.

 

“Well, that is good. We are simple peaceful folks here. Lord Crimson is one of a kind. Young, but very clever. The boy, you see here speaks for Crimson. As you may have guessed from your last meeting. ” Thorin said with a slight smirk on his face.

 

I gestured and Reynard translated. Reina watched closely so she could learn during intense moments like this.

 

“Lord Crimson, Welcomes any peaceful meeting. ” Reynard said and Lord Frit smiled.

 

“I take it the O'Marin empire is here as well. Tell me, what house are you from? I hear there is great unrest in the homeland. ” Frit asked probing for information. He looked at Omara to answer.

 

“I'm Omara of the Seventh house. Our village is along the coast in a cove. We are overjoyed to hear you want a peaceful trade agreement. We have found Biville citizens quite helpful. The ship, I was on got caught in a nasty storm. So, we settled here in the unclaimed lands. ” Omara said happily.

 

“Seventh house, I do believe that is the smallest house. ” Lord Frit said looking at his guards with a bit of amusement.

 

“Correct, Lord Frit. We are a small, but proud house. ” Omara said.

 

“I can see, we have some of the former island people here too. ” Lord Frit said and the grin on his face clearly was a fake smile.

 

“Luanda and Tomo. ” Luanda said introducing herself then Tomo. She spoke much slower then normal if she was still learning how to speak common.

 

“You have to excuse our island friends. Their common tongue is a work in progress. ” Thorin said with a sheepish tone in his voice.

 

“Quite alright. I must say, I saw some clever uses for those dragon scales. Roofs on houses and child size armor. ” Frit said looking amused again. Clearly, he was thinking we were fools not to use the dragon scales to armor up all the adults instead.

 

“Very useful scales. Got a set of dragon scales gloves myself. Good for handling hot metal. I'm also one of the local blacksmiths here. ” Thorin said proudly.

 

“Yes, so shall we get down to business. I saw the normal trade goods when we rode in. Crops, uncut gems, and crystal shops. Tell me, master dwarf. Does the local mine produce much metal? ” Frit asked.

 

“Dunan Malore, Good ore for iron and some gold. We are mostly interested in exploring a cavern we found. I'm merely here to represent my people. You can say we have a business arrangement with the town. ” Dunan Malore said gruffly if he cared not for a single person in town.

 

“I see. Much like the monks building their monastery on top of Stone Hill. ” Lord Frit said and looked up at Stone Hill. The dorm building still didn't have a roof yet, but the stone walls were in place.

 

“If you like, we can take a tour of the town. ” Thorin offered and Lord Frit jumped at the chance.

 

I tagged along with the children riding my back. They toured the walls not noticing the long tables all had new coverings on them. It never occurred to them to look under the table where the extra cannons were stashed. Thorin did show off the one cannon we decided to leave out in plain view.

 

Lord Frit showed little interest in the town in general and showed a bit of boredom when Thorin presented his black powder rifle and the minor improvements he made to it.

I caught Lord Frit rolling his eyes at one point when Thorin's back was turned. Frit escort seemed more alert and looked everywhere their eyes could travel.

 

We traveled onto the back side of town.

 

“Very nice homes. ” Lord Frit said as he looked over each two story house where the island people now lived. Outside each home was a dozen or so people laying about if they had nothing better to do.

 

“Our general work force. Would you believe they made a road all the way to the O'Marin village? ” Thorin asked and patted Tomo on the back. Tomo gave Thorin a goofy grin then nodded way to many times.

 

Lord Frit looked at the wooden walls and saw only the beginnings of a stone wall being built.

 

“Thriving little community you have here. I will be in touch with the king and I'm sure we can workout a detailed trade agreement within two months. ” Lord Frit said as they walked back to where they had tied up the horses.

 

It didn't take long for him to ride out of town looking very smug. It would only be much later that I recall something was off about the group of men he left with.

 

“Tell your people that they did a great job pretending to be lazy. ” Thorin said in a low voice to Tomo as they walked back.

 

“Less then two months. I bet you, that they are going to use ships to carry the soldiers. Hit us on both sides. ” Tomo said and I silently agreed.

 

“We have keep watch on shifts. Early morning or the dark of night. It's how they attacked us. ” Luanda said and looking eager to return home to care for her daughter.

 

“I will send the elderly and those missing limbs to the top of Stone Hill in three weeks. We send women and children a week after that. Mr. Malore as already agreed to shelter those who can't make it up the sloping road in time. They will have layers of doors to hide behind. ” Thorin said and bid his friends a good night.

 

I took off from the ground to fly home.

 


 

Thorin:

 

Thorin made the arrangements they discussed and smirked as he put the old black powder rifle away.

 

Currently the dwarfs were working off the shared designs in repeating guns along with his hired help deep in the caverns.

 

Night fell and Thorin just fixed then polishing a shield. He was expecting Mr. Bane any minute to pick it up.

 

“Hmm, a little dent on the edge. ” Thorin said to himself picking up a hammer. He never took his eyes off the shield. In the reflection he noticed a figure moving toward him. Dressed in dark blue clothing and a curved knife raised.

 

Thorin spun swinging the hammer and knocked the first knife away. The second knife slashed at his belly and barely scratched his dragon scaled apron.

 

The figure jumped back flipping the knife now ready for thrusting strikes. Having practiced with his sister. Thorin knew just how fast a knife thrust can be.

 

“So they sent an assassin in. ” Thorin said guessing. Judging from her figure. A female Angmar assassin.

 

The woman said nothing and only pulled out another curved knife. Thorin didn't like his chances. True, he used to practiced with Ysmay, but that had been years ago.

 

“Let me guess. Orders are to kill members of the town council. ” Thorin said shifted his position so she kept moving away from him. For now his armored apron and hammer were only the slightest of advantages. Any second now, she figure out he wasn't that good at defending against knives.

 

The assassin fainted a strike and Thorin lashed out only to get a deep slash from her second knife. Thorin didn't know how she did it, but a kicked hit him next and he was stumbling out the doorway into the open.

 

Thorin tripped and his hammer left his hand. Clutching his injured arm while flat on his back he watched as the assassin prepared for her final strike. She was moving around to where his head was. Thorin guessed that she was going to cut his throat next.

 

“Make it quick, woman. I don't have all night. My pa always did say a woman would be the death of me. ” Thorin said starting to sit up a little.

 

Just as the woman raised a knife to strike a figure blurred into view and pushed the would be assassin into the wooden wall of the blacksmith shop. The wall shook and tools hanging on the wall clattered to the ground making a lot of noise.

 

“Mr. Bane. ” Thorin said relieved.

 

The assassin stared at the half wolf man perhaps in shock, but what happen next puzzled Thorin. She dropped her knives and held out her arms. Mr. Bane did the same and they embraced in a hug.

 

“Beloved, my wife. I knew that I smelled your scent. ” Mr. Bane said.

 

“Our daughter? ” Mrs. Bane asked.

 

“Safe. We live here in Biville. These are good people. ” Mr. Bane answered.

 

“It won't be safe here for long. We need to run for it. ” Mrs. Bane said in answer.

 

Before he could reply Isabel came around the corner with her arm brace on. One open palm hand aimed at the unknown woman while her other hand hovered over the fire crystal ready to unleash a shooting flame of fire. Seeing Mr. Bane, she moved her hand to hover over the water crystal instead.

 

Mr. Bane shifted his hands so now he held the woman by the wrists to show he had her under control.

 

“Your father is wounded. ” Mr. Bane said and Isabel followed his eyes.

 

The glow from the forge barely showed Isabel where her father was lying in the grass.

 

Without any hesitation she pulled out a healing stone from a bag and focused her will into it.

Green light shone over his arm and the wound closed up leaving a faint scar. Isabel nearly sat down next to him feeling a bit weaken, but ready to move.

 

Thorin checked his arm and felt only the slightest numbness where the cut was.

 

“I see your time at the healers house wasn't wasted. ” Thorin said proudly and gently patted his oldest daughter on the shoulder.

 

“I heard all the noise just as I was stepping off of the bridge. ” Isabel said and looked up to see Mr. Bane was gone. The stranger wasn't there either.

 

“I will explain later. First summon some Law Keepers here. I need to take a little trip. ” Thorin said getting up to stand.

 

“I have been working all day and just healed you. I might faint after this. ” Isabel said and raised her arm up with her open palm to the sky. With her other hand she touched the red fire crystal and fire bloomed to life rising up.

 

Thorin bet it could be seen for blocks around. Not long after that a shrill whistle could be heard. Law Keepers came running their boots pounding the ground.

 

Thorin caught his daughter before she hit the ground. In his strong arms he carried her to the front door. Two Law Keepers were already there running up to meet him. Thea opened the front door to their home with a pistol at her side.

 

“Thorin, what happen? ” One Law Keeper asked.

 

“My daughter scared off an intruder, possible spy. Mr. Bane showed up and took the woman away. I need a few Law Keepers to come with me. If the intruder is a spy then I need to talk with her first as a council member. ” Thorin ordered rarely making any demand of anyone.

 

“Wiggins get the girl inside and on something comfortable. We will have some of our Law Keepers stay behind to guard the house. ” One Law Keeper ordered his partner and things happened quickly.

 

Thorin took a minute to console his wife then saddled up one of the horses. The Law Keepers joined him using the other horses that Thorin owned.

 

It was a small group that rode at a trot to the back part of town.

 

No surprise to Thorin that the light crystals at Mr. Bane's house were active.

 

“Let's try the polite approach first. ” Thorin ordered and watched as two of the Law Keepers went around back.

 

Thorin dismounted and walked up to the front door to knock on it firmly.

 

Mr. Bane opened the door slowly looking over Thorin's shoulder. He said nothing in ways of greeting. He also saw the Law Keepers waiting by the road side.

 

“We need to talk, Mr. Bane. ” Thorin said in a stern tone.

 

Mr. Bane nodded and opened the door all the way. Mrs. Bane stepped out carrying her daughter in her arms as Ashlee hugged her fiercely.

 

“Can we sit and talk a while before I have to go?” Mrs. Bane asked and waved her open hand to a few chairs on the porch.

 

Thorin nodded taking a seat near to the steps. Mr. Bane remained standing by the front door now closed.

 

“I wasn't sure my own daughter would know me. She was still very young when I was taken away from her. My husband knows how hard my life was before I met him. I was raised on the streets and learned how to fight. One day, I got hired to go after a monster. I was a young woman by then and well known for my blade work. Turned out the man who hired me wasn't going to honor our deal. I was just bait for the monster and easy way for my employer to get the king's reward. ” Mrs. Bane said and gave a weak smile to her husband.

 

“I smelled the trap half a league away. A young woman tethered to lure the monster out. Instead of going for the bait. I knocked out the men waiting for me with pistols. Some of them did managed to fire off a shot, but I was too fast. ” Mr. Bane said.

 

“You can imagine my shock when he freed me. This half beast man and then he spoke. Told me his name. Asked me if I wanted to come with him. Best choice that I ever made. ” Mrs. Bane said and kissed her daughter on the head.

 

“What happen after that? ” Thorin asked now interested in their story.

 

“We moved around for a while. Settled down in an abandon hunter's lodge deep in the woods. We had a daughter soon after and granted a few short years of happiness. The fault was mine. I had been seen in the area. The king's men came for us. My wonderful wife delayed them. She never lost her talent with small blades. I ran with my daughter as our home burned. ” Mr. Bane said finishing all he knew. Mrs. Bane picked up the story from there.

 

“I killed a few men that day then got knocked over the head. Taken prisoner and locked away for a few years. Killed some more people who would have killed me or worse. Then one day, a man came to me representing the king. Told me they were still hunting my husband and daughter. They had a fair idea where they were. They would call off the hunt if I killed for the king. So, I became his knife in the dark. The King's shadow if you will. A secret assassin. I took the deal not sure if I believed them or not. I couldn't take that chance. ” Mrs. Bane spoke in a lower tone that wouldn't carry to the Law Keepers.

 

“Did you kill anyone recently? ” Thorin asked her with his voice leveled. Fearful, someone he knew would be dead.

 

“No, you were the greatest threat according to Lord Frit. We had prearranged signals in place to mark you as my first target. You all never noticed Frit's group of guards was short one person when they left. I hid away in an alleyway until full dark. ” Mrs. Bane said stroking her daughter's head gently. Ashlee snuggled even closer into her mother.

 

“I told the Law Keepers an intruder was nosing about. Since my youngest daughter, Muriel are friends with little Ashlee here. I thought a bit of discretion was in order. As far as they know your just a spy. So, Mrs. Bane. Will you join our side in this fight? ” Thorin asked.

 

“Yes, I have valuable information I will give freely. The Bloody Bastards are on their way here. The king hired them and they are coming by ship. ” Mrs. Bane said and Thorin went a bit pale.

 

“Law Keepers, stand down. Mrs. Bane here as come over to our side. No longer a spy for King Angmar. I won't be pressing the issue. ” Thorin said loudly so all could hear him.

 

The Law Keepers gathered back up front of the house and some looked relief they wouldn't be getting on Mr. Bane's bad side tonight. Thorin waited for them to be all together.

 

“Sorry for the fuss, boys. Go on with your night in peace. ” Thorin said and waved the men off. Those on horseback were already slowly trotting away to return the horses back to their rightful place.

 

“Take this night to be with your family. Write down all you can about their plans to attack this place that you were told about or overheard. ” Thorin said getting up and leaving the reunited family in peace.

 

When Thorin returned home. He cleaned up his shop and picked up the assassin's knives. He also got a bear hug from his wife and he explained what had happen. Thorin watched her face pale when he mentioned The Bloody Bastards.

 

“I have to tell the rest of the council during our next meeting. I better wash up in the stone tub and I will be in bed shortly. ” Thorin said and bid his wife to go to bed.

 

It was a bit of a restless night for Thorin. Dreams of burning buildings and slain people entered into his nightmares.

 

When morning came Thorin returned to the Bane household. Mr. Bane staying back in the doorway to the rest of the house. A nervous Mrs. Bane greeted him and showed him the piece of paper at the kitchen table. Ashlee was still asleep upstairs.

 

She had divided it into sections on what she been told, overheard, and saw with her own eyes. It wasn't much, but Thorin gleamed some useful information. Thorin assumed some of what they told her could be a false.

 

“Good work. What ever they told you could have been a lie. Just in case you got caught and tortured for information. If you recall anything else. The smallest detail. Write it down and have it sent to me. On another matter, I will understand if you take your family and run. The question I want you to ask yourselves is where in this cruel world is left to run too? ” Thorin said grimly and placed her knives on the table then left them to ride back into town.

 

Thorin watched as people prepared for the worst. Some people had fled in fear of the future attack. Many had faith the town's defenders and Lord Crimson would protect them.

 

Thanks to Thorin they have a few days warning mostly due to the scouts sent out. First sign of any real trouble and they would ride here with the swiftest horses.

 

Town life had changed too. Wagons were searched coming into and leaving Biville now until the threat had passed. A warning sign was place just outside the front gates giving fair warning to all this would happen. Any new strangers wandering around were watched by Law Keepers and citizens of Biville.

 

While guests staying at the Inns had dropped greatly. While young women and men were recruited into classes on how to fight. Others too young and or old were given other tasks to help out in the upcoming fight.

 

When the next council meeting started. Thorin reluctantly announced The Bloody Bastards were coming. With Reynard busy teaching other children how to fight. Reina had taken on the role of Voice with Luanda there to correct the girl.

 

“Who are they? ” Reina asked looking at Lord Crimson and glancing around at the faces.

 

“Mercenaries for the most part. The worst kind from all the stories I have heard. Killers, thieves and known for worse things. ” Thorin said glancing at little Reina as he said the last bit.

 

“I knew of a village that existed on an island close to my own home island. Every building was burned to the ground. Men, woman and even the babies were slain. They took all the livestock and valuables when they left. They piled the bodies in the crop fields and left them there to rot. Word as it some of them are insane. I believe that rumor after I saw that village. It had been a warning to the other island tribes not to fight back. We did anyway and many of us were captured. ” Tomo said quietly and his voice carried in the silence.

 

“Even my people fear them. The Dark One take every single one of them. ” Dunan Malore said his own voice sounding grim.

 

“Bloody Bastards are no more then two battalions. They often split up to do different jobs. If both battalions are coming here then we are looking at two thousand men. What worries me if the King will send a full division or not. ” Xalvador said looking very troubled.

 

“Hopefully, he will send half of a Division only. We can take this report from Mrs. Bane with a grain of salt. They might have told her lies if she was tortured for information. She saw much and overheard enough to be useful for us to use. I like to come up with some battle plans. Dig trenches outside our walls filled with wooden spikes and such. ” Thorin said and started thinking about all the places he had seen those times they entertained troops before a battle.

 

“Splash some oil on those spikes too. Cover them up so the leading edge of the army falls into it. Burn them when they fall into it. ” Xalvador said next.

 

“Lord Crimson says he will help with the digging. ” Reina said smiling having heard the stories how mud caked their local dragon tended to get. Reina then paused not picking up what Lord Crimson was saying next. She looked over to Luanda for help. Luanda quickly jumped in to translate.

 

“We should also leave a weak spots in our defense. Channel them into where we want them to go. Use town streets and alleyways to confuse them. Use some of our best riflemen on roofs or the upper parts of buildings. Over turn wagons with piled furniture to block streets. Have men with repeating pistols waiting. ” Luanda said nodding along with the ideas.

 

“Sometimes, I forget how clever you can be. ” Thorin said wondering where those ideas came from as he looked at Lord Crimson.

 

“Stock piling supplies are well on their way. Much to my own protest. I will be joining the women and children with a repeating pistol. Ready to defend and make those King's men pay for every step up that road. ” Luanda said thinking about her daughter's future.

 

One of the Law Keepers came walking up and the council meeting was halted.

 

“Visitors to see you, Lord Crimson and Luanda. ” The Law Keeper said.

 

In the far distance Brother Thomas waited with two other monks. One monk had his hand on the second one's shoulder leading him.

 

“They may approach. ” Thorin said looking at the others for any protest.

 

A wave over and Brother Thomas came walking down the path to where the outside table was placed for evening meetings.

 

“Lord Crimson and Luanda. This man, you know of him. He has something to say to the pair of you. Given the times that we are so busy and for some of us time may be running out. ” Brother Thomas said as the largest man in the trio removed his hood.

 

A waxed face burned so many months ago could be clearly seen. The eyes were gone, barely any hair left on top of his head, and one ear was burn cleanly away. The burn scars ran down his neck to his right arm. The healers summoned there that day had done good work in saving his life.

 

“I'm Brother Burnt, Lord Crimson and Luanda. I deserve no other name. By the grace of our Light Bringer my life was spared to repent my many misdeeds which Brother Thomas has heard. I ask you two to forgive me in your hearts. ” Brother Burnt rasped in a voice that was weak due to his past injuries. He put on his hood once more and pulled down a face covering to wear his nose was. Now, only his mouth could be seen.

 

His mouth area was left undamaged because he had thrown up his right arm in time to protect that part of his face. Luanda looked at me with a look of pity and through our glance. She knew what to say on my behalf.

 

“Brother Burnt, we forgive you. Lord Crimson and myself hear the truth in your voice. Go in peace and may you always walk in the light. ” Luanda said and everyone heard the low but soft growl from Lord Crimson. Somehow telling all who heard it that all was forgiven.

 

“Thank you. ” Brother Burnt rasped out and shuffled around to face the other way as the monks guided him back to the mines where he worked.

 

“Amazing work those healers can do. Put in a note to have healing crystals on the ready for those who can use them. The longer that we can keep our people in the fight. The better the chances our O'marin allies will come in time. ” Thorin said.

 

“We can use a line of bonfires to signal for help. Have two runners on horseback to make the trip all the way to Dragon's Mouth. Lighting the fires along the way. ” Tomo said remembering what his people used.

 

“I will ask around among our people for any war tricks they remember seeing. We will make lists for reviews and see what can be done in the time we have left. Anything else to discuss?” Xalvador asked. No one spoke and the meeting ended.

 

Thorin returned home to find his oldest daughter home from the healers house. Wooden targets had been setup and Thorin was shocked to see two of them were iced over. Thorin then noticed his daughter was wearing a second newer vambrace with extra colored crystals on it.

 

Four new crystals colors, Thorin never seen before.

 

“Daddy, look at this. I just purchased them. ” Isabel said.

 

Thorin watched as his daughter made mist appear all around them by touching the grayish crystal on her new vambrace.

 

Next she touched a white crystal and aimed her now open palm toward a target. A bolt of lightning shot out striking the bull's eye. The center of it smoking a little. Isabel then touched a deep blue crystal and what look like a stream of water shot out turning into ice as it landed on the target.

 

Isabel shook her head a little and sat down on a nearby seat.

 

“What about that deep red one? ” Thorin asked her as he came closer and Isabel explained.

 

“Dragon Crystal, shoots out a stream of fire like a dragon. Burns the hand a little just to use. ” Isabel said happily. Clearly, she was exhausted from using the new magic Crystals so much.

 

“Sometimes, I think you do too much. How is the teaching going?” Thorin asked. She was a part time blacksmith, healer, crystal mage, and now teacher.

 

“The quartet of trouble makers are making progress. No one close to my age and juggling four children has been real fun. Thankfully, Helka is there most of the time to keep them in line. ” Isabel said with a chuckle.

 

“Four, that is surprisingly high. Five when we include you. ” Thorin said thinking it was amazing they found more then just his daughter. No telling how many O'marins crystal mages there were. He guess only two or three at the most since there was only about six hundred O'marins.

 

“Mom, told me it's good practice for when I have my own children. ” Isabel said and smiled.

Thorin smiled back thinking it was good his daughter focused on the future.

1