Crimson 19-Epilogue
150 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thorin:

 

Days later, Thorin led the force that took Port's Mouth with his brothers in arms. A mixed army of Island People, O'Marins and dwarfs marched. With two dragons circling over head.

People of Port's Mouth surrendered almost at once. Angmar's soldiers left behind in the port town were rounded up and tattoo then given the same warning.

 

Carack now missing an eye on his left side secured the docks for the approaching O'Marins coming by ship. Wilhelm now with a slight limp due to a bullet wound was sent off to gather the leaders of Port's Mouth.

 

Tomo heavily bandaged, but still able to fight led the group of island people. They went around the port town to free every slave still shackled with chains or by fear. Much to Tomo's surprise some slaves decided to stay. Not all slave masters were cruel and some even secretly paid them. While others had more romantic issues at hand.

 

Tomo had just left the door step of a retired merchant who lived by the beach. The retired merchant had a former slave still living with him. The young pretty woman insisted that her owner had freed her months ago, but she happily stayed on to clean his home and fetch him drinks. Tomo was soon convinced she was happy. When she mentioned that she was going to inherit her former owner's wealth. The old man had no family left in the world and he thought of the young woman like a daughter.

 

Crimson and Jade landed in the open market as citizens hid away in their homes.

Wilhelm soon gathered the leaders brave enough to accept his invite. Thorin was waiting on top of his own horse.

 

“This town will be hear by seized under the new ruling of Mother Jade of the O'Marin empire, the Seventh House. Along with her husband, Lord Crimson of Biville. Here are the new laws due to take affect today. ” Thorin said handing out rolled up papers to be read by the town's leaders.

 

There was some muttering among them and Thorin noticed that they kept looking up at the dragons. There was a quick discussion among them and the leading man nodded in agreement.

 

“Slave traders are no longer welcomed. All slaves are now free citizens like yourself. Trade may resume and your be free to travel the roads. To ensure a smooth changeover. Some of the O'Marins and my people will stay behind. We also have wounded from the Kingdom of Angmar who need healers. Once they are healed and able to walk. These men are to be taken back home by wagon or ship. The plus side, Lord Crimson will personally pay for the piers he damaged and the goods that we need. By now, you know we have beaten the Bloody Bastards and much of our town needs repairing. You will find us eager to buy supplies in the days ahead. We will give you a month to get use to our ways. Otherwise, any man or woman who disagrees is free to go on their way or quietly protest by letter for changes. ” Thorin said and trotted his horse away.

 

Lord Crimson joined him walking behind his horse. Thorin saw people peeking out from doors or windows. They ended up at the piers as Tomo was introducing freed slaves to the O'Marins.

 

“When we get home. Remind me to have a nice long chat with Lord Frit. ” Thorin said recalling the man had been captured and thrown into the jailhouse with only army rations to eat.

 

Thorin dismounted and gotten pretty good with his crudely made blunted hook hand. The bit of metal he did himself. Fendrel, his nephew with barely a scratch on him after the fight. Helped his Uncle out after finding the time to make the rest of the hooked hand. Clearly, a temporary solution until Thorin could get a better replacement.

 

Thorin found a quiet place to sit and admire the view of the sea.

 

“It's a good thing, I play the lute with my other hand, huh. Mr. Bane once told me that he plays the flute. I'm sure glad they made it through the fight unharmed. That family has been through enough. ” Thorin holding up his undamaged right hand. A smile on his face.

 

“That dragon your pet? ” A timid little voice asked and Thorin turned to see a very young street kid looking at him. Far too skinny and wearing almost rags.

 

“Why boy, don't you know this is Lord Crimson of Biville. ” Thorin said if introducing a high noble person.

 

“The rumors are true then. An old man told me once. A little red dragon gave him a whole chest's worth of silver coins for some cooking pots and robes. ” The boy said next stepping a bit closer if testing to see if the dragon would snatch him up to eat.

 

“You know, I recall hearing the same story. ” Thorin said and fished out a silver coin flipping it into the air over to the boy.

 

“You got a job for me to do? I'm real good at remember messages and my arms are strong. ” The boy asked coming a bit closer, yet ready to make a run for it. Slave traders much like sailors had a hooked hand like this man.

 

“I can see you have good arms. Clean yourself up. Get some good clothes and a few good meals. If you have no family here. Walk or hitch a ride to Biville. Ask around for the second best blacksmith in town. Handsome fellow with only one hand. ” Thorin ordered and the boy did take the coin. Marveling at it then realizing he was very close to the dragon.

He back away slowly at first then ran off.

 

Thorin saw Lord Crimson tilted his head slightly if asking why.

 

“Isabel has plans to make a school just for crystal mages and healers. Reynard still wants to be a noble warrior. Muriel is still years away from picking up one of my hammers. I'm going to need a set of hands to help me at the very least and just maybe someone to take my place as the second best blacksmith in Biville. ” Thorin explained and dusted himself off.

 

“Well, that was a nice little rest break. ” Thorin said getting back on his horse.

 

Thorin picked up some needed items and soon rode back with some others. Lord Crimson had flown ahead to fetch some of his treasure to deliver back to Port's Mouth. Jade stayed behind to arrange things pleased that two towns were now under her care. She was happy to share it with trusted friends.

 

As Thorin came within sight of Biville things were going nicely.

 

The bodies were cleared away and burned in the Southern field within a deep pit. Repairs were underway everywhere and improvements to defenses were being made.

 

Shops were reopened and selling or buying what they could. Only in the back part of Biville town had suffered the worst. Many homes were being rebuilt. Thankfully, all the extra homes were now being used until the burnt ones were replaced.

 

A week past, before anything truly interesting happened. The boy that Thorin had met showed up at his shop. Looking far better then before. He had hitched a ride with a traveling merchant in exchange to unload his goods.

 

Thorin was a bit surprise to see him at all. He wasn't sure his coin had gone to waste or not.

The boy had knocked on the frame of the doorway to the blacksmith shop. Thorin smiled at the sight of him.

 

“I didn't catch your name last time we met. I'm Thorin. ” Thorin said.

 

“Everyone just calls me Imp. I don't have any other name.” the boy said and Thorin shook his head.

 

“You need a proper name. What about Ivan? Close enough to your street name. ” Thorin said and Ivan nodded smiling.

 

“Good, I pay well and there a few rules you must follow. School is a must for a boy of your age. You can sleep in here until my oldest child moves out. I got a boy about your age. So you have at least one friend nearby. You can rent a room from us or someone else. The work is hot and hard on the body. I will also need a hand with the horses that we keep out back. I can teach you everything you need to know given time. Ask me when you want to know something. ” Thorin said and watched as the boy nodded taking in every word.

 

Thorin showed him each tool and telling the name and gave him a quick tour around the shop. Including the cot in the corner Thorin used to rest on during busy days. The tour ended at the stables.

 

“How about a ride around town? ” Thorin offered and Ivan sheepishly admitted that he never rode on a horse before.

 

Thorin chuckled and showed Ivan how to saddle a horse then climb on top.

 

They were coming to an open area near the front gates when four bells sounded from the watch towers.

 

This was confusing since there was no code for four bells.

 

Lord Crimson must have been in the area because he landed in a spot now open due to the previous building have been burned down during the fighting. It was left open as a small park for children. Reynard was on Lord Crimson's back wearing his armor. He slid off of the dragon's back to take his place just in front and off to the side of Lord Crimson.

 

The gates were left open as riders came in with a banner of a roaring standing bear with a sunburst over it's head. With only six riders the danger was low.

 

The lead rider dismounted along with the other men. Thorin caught sight of his breast plate and noticed the thin sword at his side. Thorin knew the banner of The Kingdom of Rin anywhere.

 

“Greetings, Lord Crimson of Biville. I'm Prince Rudy Rin the third of the Kingdom of Rin. Word as travel fast about your victory over the Kingdom of Angmar. My father, the wise king as instructed me to present this peace treaty for you and your council to approve. Due to recent events, we have expanded our borders and now we are neighbors. King Angmar no longer controls the roads to the North that borders your lands. ” Prince Rin said and took a knee to show respect. In his hand was a rolled up paper with a ribbon tied around it.

 

“Lord Crimson, welcomes you all to our fair town. Peace among neighbors is always welcomed. ” Reynard said as Lord Crimson hand signed.

 

The men from Rin stood up smiling.

 

“Tell me, is Brother Thomas still among the living? ” Prince Rin asked and Lord Crimson slowly shook his head from side to side.

 

The answer affected Prince Rin as his face fell. It was like he just got news his own father just passed on.

 

“This day will be filled with joy and sadness. Brother Thomas was my old mentor and a second father to me. May the Light Bringer keep him company. May I inquire how he died?” Prince Rin asked.

 

“I saw it happen. We were defending the children together and one of the Bloody Bastards ran a sword through his chest. Brother Thomas plunged a dagger into the man's neck at the same time. ” Reynard said finding it easier to relay the story now.

 

“A good man til the end. There is no greater honor in defending those weaker then yourself. ” Prince Rin said and silently raised his eyes to look at the top of Stone Hill.

 

“Greetings, Prince Rin. I'm Thorin. Blacksmith and part of the town council. Young fellow behind me is my helper. You already met my son. The voice for Lord Crimson. ” Thorin said riding up to the man with Ivan riding behind him.

 

“Ah, the man behind the dragon and the tiger. Some of your people came through our fair kingdom. I attended one of the shows. A thrilling tale, but I wonder if it's true? ” Prince Rin asked.

 

“A dragon taking on a tiger twice his size to protect a child. It's true. I witness it first hand and my son lived it. ” Thorin said looking at his son with a smile.

 

“Truly, Lord Crimson is a miracle of the Light Bringer. I can see with my own eyes the stories of O'Marins coming here are true too. ” Prince Rin said looking around seeing some of the dark skin people shopping or walking on their way to somewhere.

 

“You must be weary and thirsty from your travels, Prince Rin. Let me show you to the best inn in town, The Cyclops Tavern. My brother-in-law owns it. It's borders right on the dwarf community we have here. ” Thorin said and led the way to the tavern.

 

Lord Crimson followed behind them at a slow pace with young Reynard on his back once more. Thorin look back to see the boys talking and saw already they would be friendly to each other at the very least.

 

Along the way they saw Luanda out for a walk with her baby in a carry sling. Thorin introduce her to the new people and Prince Rin respectfully greeted her.

 

“I will go tell the other council members. I can speak for my husband while he is away. ” Luanda said and turned toward the bank building next.

 

They arrived at The Cyclops Tavern. It came through the fighting with little damage. One advantage to serving most of the dwarfs. You got to have really sturdy chairs and tables. The dwarfs didn't get too rowdy until after work hours. So for now the place was a peaceful place to hold a meeting.

 

Thorin took a moment to admire the wooden sign above the door. Wilhelm had made it as a little joke, but Carack had loved it so much he had renamed the tavern. Carved out of wood the sign depicted a monstrous looking one eye man holding a mug by a handle. The wild bearded man looked like Carack and wore a friendly smile.

 

“You boys take the horses to the hitching posts and stay on guard. ” Thorin ordered and was amused when Ivan walked a bit stiff legged once he dismounted. Already Reynard was telling Ivan of some of the adventures he had with Lord Crimson.

 

Lord Crimson followed the boys to look out for their safety and settle down in the open space just in case they need to talk to him about this peace treaty.

 

As they stepped inside Dunan Malore was there and perked up at the sight of Thorin. He waved him over. Thorin led the group of men to Dunan Malore.

 

“There you are, Thorin. That hooked hand you got has been offending me for days now, here. ” Dunan Malore said gruffly and pulled out a mechanical looking hand with a few levers on top.

 

Thorin marveled at it. It was fine craftsmanship and he recognized some of the parts coming from one of the horseless carriages.

 

Thorin introduce the prince and his men. As they sat and Ysmay personally took their order of drinks. Thorin removed his hooked hand and strapped the new mechanical hand on instead.

 

Prince Rin and Dunan Malore were discussing what the dwarfs were mining and seem to be getting along fairly well.

 

Thorin pulled and locked the levers into place to discovered they could grip items such as the mug full of ale in front of him. Thorin knew with some practice he could have most of his normal life back. In fact the metal hand looked tough enough to handle hot metal. This metal hand could improve his work.

 

“If you want a spare hand or damage my fine gift. It will cost you. ” Dunan Malore said rubbing his fingers for the hand sign for coins. A devilish grin on his face.

 

“Maybe a spare, when I can afford it. I will be sure to do my best to take care of this gift. ” Thorin said.

 

Ysmay was just getting around to taking their food order when the rest of the town council arrived. Luanda experiencing The Cyclops Inn for the first time.

 

Some of the female dwarf servers coming over to admire or hold the baby girl. Amber looking at the lightly bearded faces in wonder.

 

It didn't take long to sign the treaty after there were some minor changes to the peace treaty. Luanda went to the nearest window to talk to Lord Crimson. Thorin knew it was in their best interests to have a strong ally. For the Kingdom of Rin didn't have access to any major sea ports.

 

“All I have to do is convince the O'Marins at Dragon's Mouth into our peace treaty and trade rights. Now my people can dock at Port's Mouth at the very least. ” Prince Rin said as he looked over the signed names.

 

“I doubt you will have much trouble. Lord Crimson is husband to Mother Jade. They call him Father Crimson these days. I'm sure the O'Marin people there will be very eager to trade goods. ” Thorin said now business was out of the way and the meal was done.

 

Ysmay had slipped out and taken the boys some food during the whole meeting.

 

Thorin soon left the group as they celebrated and returned home. Along the way he saw more of the traveling people had come back. The traveling people would always have a home town where they would be welcomed. Thorin had a strong feeling the town would grow into a city one day.

 

Ivan riding back looking happy and gawked when a horseless carriage rolled by. The driver using a wheel to control his turns. The man in the horseless carriage using his feet on the pedals for more steam or to apply the brakes. It hissed as pressure from the water tank was released.

 

“Those things and other marvels you see will put blacksmithing out of business one day. ” Thorin said as they rode up just outside his work shop.

 

“What was that? ” Ivan asked.

 

“Steam Carriage or a steam car. Depending on who you ask. Remind me to introduce you to the inventor some time. Good investment if you ask me. ” Thorin answered and dismounted.

 

Thorin tied up the horses and helped Ivan down from his. He took him inside his home and introduce him to his wife and youngest child. Thea noticed his thinness and fussed over him a bit. Ivan reluctantly accepted her offer to have a second supper that day.

 

Afterwards Thorin show Ivan proper care for horses after a good days riding. By this time Ivan settled down after his meal. Thorin saw the boy was asleep in his workshop cot.

Thorin spent the rest of his evening showing his family the mechanical hand.

 

 

Crimson

 

After finishing the day's business. I let Reynard go on home to his family.

I was pleased to see not all royalty I met so far weren't out to take over everything.

Prince Rin showed me respect and seemed to be honest about wanting to be allies. He was even interested in seeing Brother Tad and paying his respects to where we buried Brother Thomas.

 

Brother Tad was able to vouch for Prince Rin's honor while I visited the monastery for my evening meal. Thankfully, most of the monks knew how to hand sign. Lately, sometimes if I really focus my mind. It felt like I could almost mind speak toward a person. Hopefully, this was a hint that one day soon. I would be able to speak directly to my friends.

 

“Pardon, Lord Crimson. It's not my place to say, but you seemed worried about something. ” Prince Rin said perhaps picking up on my expression or how I was quietly looking away in the far distance toward the North.

 

Brother Tad had the honor of translating for us.

 

“Lord Crimson says he worries the fighting between Biville and the Kingdom of Angmar is not over. King Angmar doesn't seem to want peace. Lord Frit, who we have as a temporary prisoner. Lied on behalf of the king and led the army including the Bloody Bastards. ” Brother Tad said watching my hand sign carefully so not to misunderstand my meaning.

 

“I doubt this Lord Frit is worth much as a prisoner to be bargained with for peace or gold. Now, if you could make the king's son as your ward. Keep him until he is of age to be considered an adult. Then you would have a real chance for peace. I leave the morals of this action to Brother Tad. ” Prince Rin said giving his honest opinion.

 

“A common practice between royal houses during conflicts. Wards are often treated fairly well. Their education and well being of their soul tends to be better as a whole. I think, Brother Thomas would strongly argue against it of course. There are the rare cases in which a ward has been mistreated badly. ” Brother Tad said giving his own honest view on the matter.

 

“Fair point, Brother Tad. I wouldn't trust a ward into the care of King Angmar. If our own dragon friend here were to fly to the castle and snatch the king's son from his tower bedroom. Then, hold him here as a ward in order to maintain peace. I think, Brother Thomas just might change his mind. I hear prince Ethan is a spoiled brat. Bless my own father for not raising me like that. ” Prince Rin said and jesting about me flying to the castle to kidnap a boy.

 

The more that I thought about it. The more it made sense.

 

I hand sign to brother Tad to say thanks to Prince Rin.

 

I flew off to the jailhouse and gesturing. I ordered them to bring me Lord Frit. We were only holding him until the council could bargain for peace. One of the law keepers offered to translate for me. I had only one question. I had a vague idea where King Angmar's castle was from precious conversations and maps I had seen.

 

“Does the king love his son? ” Lord Frit asked confused by my question. He rubbed at the pair of dragon tattoos on his face with his chained hands. One side green and the other side red.

 

The Law Keeper patted his baton in a menacing way. Lord Frit eyed the big man and answered my question.

 

“Of course he does. The little brat is going to be the next king. The queen has only ever given him daughters after his son was born. ” Lord Frit answered in a sarcastic tone.

 

I scratched a single word into the dirt and gave Lord Frit my best dragon smile.

 

He was so startled by the baring of my teeth he almost forgot to look down at the word.

When he read it I watched as his face went pale.

 

“You....you can't. That's madness. ” Lord Frit stammered.

 

I waved my limb at Frit in a dismissive gestured. The Law Keeper nodded.

 

“I have to check with the council, but I'm sure we can free him in the morning. ” The Law Keeper said with a smile after reading the word I scratched into the dirt.

 

This action would have to be on my own choice. I left a message with Brother Tad I would return within a few weeks. So my friends wouldn't worry. Somehow I figure my wife, Jade would approve.

 

Days of travel and long flights along the coast. I picked good remote locations far away from people and snack on wild deer along the way. I also mentally marked the locations for the trip back.

 

The capital city of the Angmar kingdom was impressive.

 

The castle towered into the air and had to be generations of work. I arrived at night and flew far overhead and landed as gently as I could on the roof. I figured the tallest and widest tower had to be were the royalty slept.

 

I slowly and carefully moved hearing the roof creak slightly. Using my hearing and my sense of smell. I quickly located the boy's bedroom.

 

Looking in through the very wide doors. I saw the large wide bed did have a sleeping boy. He looked younger then Reynard. I would have guessed a boy of eight summers. Some what chubby face of a boy who ate more then his fair share.

 

I glided down to the balcony and the thump of my landing disturb the boy's sleep enough for him to roll over in bed. Pulling the blanket tighter around his body.

 

I waited a minute then gently pushed on the double wide doors and increased the pressure. The simple latch used to secure the doors snapped. I walked in impressed by the sheer size of the room just for a child. The wood in the fire place had burned down to embers.

 

It was large enough for a dragon the size of a house to move into. Cold air followed me and the boy shivered a little then awoke. Once his eyes focused on the monstrous dragon face with yellow eyes looking at him.

 

He scream almost a girlish pitch. I reached down and grabbed him still wrapped in the thick blanket. Firm grip and thanks to the blanket he had some protection from my sharp claws. I back peddle as the guards in the hallway shouted.

 

The door burst opened and the pair of guards halted at the sight of me.

 

“Wake the king and get more guards. ” The first guard ordered and I waited.

 

There were a lot of shouts and finally a man showed up pushing the castle guards out of his way.

 

“My king, its not safe. ” One guard said and a man came into view wearing a night robe with a woman behind him. She half screamed at the sight of her son in my claws. Struggling to get lose.

 

“Crimson. ” King Angmar muttered and I saw the hate flash into his eyes.

 

I nodded and reached out with my other claws. I scratched the same word that I showed Lord Frit into the fine wooden floor.

 

I made sure the letters were big enough to be read from a distance. I saw the moment the king realized my meaning.

 

“Ward. ” One guard whispered to his partner.

 

I turned my head to the bed and breathed out fire making it burst into flames.

The group of people scrambled away from the door and I turned then jumped from the balcony hearing a woman screaming for her child.

 

I didn't feel so good about what I just did, but the deed was done now. Prince Ethan stop struggling now we were hundreds of feet in the air.

 

I caught the faintest smell of urine and realized the boy had wet himself. A natural reaction to being kidnapped by a fire breathing dragon and lifted high into the air.

 

I carried Ethan for hours over a lot of ground to a spot I used before to rest.

 

The boy was shivering from the cold or sheer fright when I did finally let him go after we landed.

 

Ethan looked around and noticed the unused campfire that I had prepared beforehand.

 

I breathed fire on it and a roaring bonfire started instantly. The boy appeared smarter then I thought at first. Thanks to the full moon. He looked at the high mountains and the wild forest behind me. He knew better not to run away from me. I bet he was thinking what would be the point.

 

I laid down keeping my eyes on him. Ethan grew tired of standing and huddled closer to the fire. In time, he relaxed and fell asleep again. I laid down my own head and rested.

That first morning, I let him sleep in. I also hauled more wood onto the fire for his sake. He awoke confused at first then turned over to see me watching him.

He jumped a little and was breathing hard.

 

I pointed to him then the lake then scratched a single word into the dirt between us.

 

“Bath. ” Ethan said in a low voice if scared to make his voice any louder.

 

I pointed to him then the lake again.

 

“The water will be cold. ” Ethan whined a little and I moved forward then snorted out some smoke. I was playing up the role as the big bad dragon.

 

The boy dropped the blanket and ran several steps away. He begin to shiver again now he was away from the warm fire.

 

He quickly walked to the lakes edge and stripped off the long night gown. I walked over to make sure he didn't drown or freeze to death.

 

He let out a scream when he dove into the mountain water. Before, he came out of the water. I decided to make his slightly wet night gown into ashes.

 

I pointed to him then back to the warm fire where his blanket was waiting. He ran naked back faster then I had ever seen him move before. Snatching up the blanket to wrapped it around his shivering body.

 

I waited for him to warm up and gave him some extra time to recover. When it was time to fly again. Ethan hardly made a sound when we were airborne once more.

 

We flew on like that for days at a time. One night, before he fell asleep. I heard him crying. I ignore the pang of guilt. By the time that we reached Biville. I had one slightly dirty and perhaps a few pounds lighter prince. We landed on top of Stone Hill and were just in time for the evening meal. Prince Ethan must have made quite a sight. A dirty boy wrapped in a fine heavy blanket.

 

“Who is this Lord Crimson? ” Brother Tad asked coming over to us.

 

I made the hand sign for prince Angmar and ward. Brother Tad's face went a bit pale, but he recovered pretty quickly.

 

“By the Light Bringer, you..you actually did it. ” Brother Tad said and looked at the boy.

Ethan held onto his blanket more out of modesty then warmth now. He looked more relaxed now he was among people.

 

I pointed to the boy then the food being served. I was willing to bet even Brother Tad could hear the boy's stomach growling.

 

“Of course. ” Brother Tad said and gently led the boy away to sit next to him.

 

It didn't surprise me much that Reina was the first person to seek me out. I had been away for almost two weeks.

 

“Grandfather. ” Reina said hugging my side.

 

I explained to her where I had been and who I had brought back with me. Reina looked over at the half naked boy. Currently, he was stuffing his face with as much food as he could get. Then, I told her what I needed to say to Ethan.

 

Reina nodded and she told me all that happen since I was away. Prince Rin had signed a peace treaty with the O'Marins of Dragon's Mouth. Now, trade goods from all over the nearest lands were coming to us.

 

Which was good. I had nearly bankrupted myself getting the town rebuilt and improved it. Then there was restoring Port's Mouth docks. Like most of my friends, I had investments in the cold boxes and the new steam cars.

 

I joined the monks for dinner and Reina waited off the side for me to finish my meal.

As the monks cleared the long outside tables. I motioned for Reina to join us. She sat across from Prince Ethan.

 

I started hand signing. Ethan watching my claws move then turning his attention to Reina as she spoke for me.

 

“Welcome Prince Ethan of Angmar to the town of Biville. This is Lord Crimson as you might of guessed. You are to be his ward until you are considered an adult. Your father, King Angmar has lied to us about making peace. Instead, he has sent his armies here to attack us without a just cause. For the sake of those still alive. You will stay here to ensure peace. ” Reina said putting a bit of her spin on my words, but getting the point across all the same.

 

“I want to go home. It's too hot here. ” Ethan said half whining about the weather already and looked from Reina to me. If he expected her to convince me to change my mind.

 

I snorted at that request.

 

“well, he said no. ” Reina said to him.

 

“I want my mother here. ” Ethan said next and looked around if trying figure out which way to go to find her.

 

I started hand signing again

 

“Lord Crimson says she will be allowed to visit. So your family knows your safe and healthy. ” Reina said and then decided to speak to Ethan on a more personal level.

 

“Lord Crimson isn't a bad dragon. He is really nice and very smart. He is just protecting us by making you stay here. They are a lot of kids here to play with just like me. A lot of interesting people and things to see. ” Reina said and Ethan perked up a little at that.

 

I hand signed again and Reina giggled a little then nodded.

 

“Lord Crimson says you need some clothes. ” Reina said now she was informed that Ethan was naked under that blanket he had wrapped around his waist.

 

Reina showed Ethan how to climb on to my back and sit. We made a short stop at my cave while Reina fetched some coins from a vault that I left open. I flew the kids to the clothing shop where Reina went in on my behalf with the younger Ethan walking behind her. A dirty blanket still wrapped around his body.

 

Ethan soon came out wearing common clothes and a good pair of shoes for a boy to be running around in. Our next stop was at the late evening meeting where the council was still in session.

 

“Lord Crimson, We saw you return. Who is this boy?” Thorin asked and using Reina as my voice I explained everything.

 

There was shock at first and a bit of arguing if I had done the right thing.

 

“We should send a letter to the king. Several copies to ensure he gets our message. We explain that we don't approve of Lord Crimson's actions, but since the boy is here with us now. We should take the advantage having the future king of Angmar. I never heard of this ward business, but I see the good in it. Hopefully, there will be no more assassins, armies or insane mercenaries. ” Luanda said.

 

“I can't agree with the kidnapping part. I see your point, Luanda. He can't stay with Lord Crimson in a cave. The boy needs schooling, friends his own age and a real home. I could ask Ysmay and see if she take him in. ” Thorin said nodding seeing her view of the matter.

 

“The cost to care for the boy should come out of Lord Crimson's purse. It's only fair. ” Xalvador said and looked at me and I nodded. Later, I would arrange Ethan to have an allowance for basic needs. Ysmay would be in charge of the bank account.

 

“You can be my little brother. ” Reina said to Ethan who looked at her thinking about it.

 

“I already have two little sisters. ” Ethan said.

 

“Now, you have a big sister. ” Reina said wisely and Ethan smiled a little.

 

“I'm sure, Mother Jade would approve of Father Crimson's actions. My own homeland still suffers from the warring houses. Blood runs like rivers and homes burn. If only it was as easy to take a single child to save thousands of lives. My people could learn much from this ward business. ” Omara said giving me an approving nod.

 

“As they say. The dice have been thrown. For better or worse. ” Thorin said and there the meeting was ended.

 

 

Epilogue:

 

“I don't want to go back. ” Ethan said.

 

“You must, young man. I'm no longer your guardian and I have no claim over you as my ward. ” I said directly into his mind as I projected my thoughts into his head.

 

People have told me my voice is like rolling thunder just far away enough not to give them a pounding headache.

 

Ethan looked around the cave in thought.

 

The cave had been transformed over the years into various rooms. Gone were the stone slabs to be replaced by large metal doors which could be locked. New treasures now filled the rooms.

 

Lord Crimson had his own personal library filled with copies of the most precious books. Sometimes at Lord Crimson's request. A young monk would be given the task to read to the dragon when he desired it. There was even a room filled with various musical instruments for those monks who could play at the lord's whim.

 

Mostly, Lord Crimson's most trusted friends stop by for visits and rarely stayed in one of the guest rooms for people.

 

Some of the rooms were strictly used for the monks to secure the most valued items given to the order over the years.

 

“I barely know those people anymore. ” Ethan said next.

 

“Those people are your family. I stole you away from them when you were a child. ” I replied back.

 

“Yes, but you did it so this place could survive. I used to hate you for that. Now that I lived here. I understand. ” Ethan said looking even more depressed.

 

“And you fell in love. ” I said knowing why the young man before me didn't want to return home.

 

“You know?” Ethan said blushing.

 

“Ashlee has grown into a fine young lady. She is also the daughter to Lord Bane. So even by your out dated Northern customs. You can marry her. ” I said firmly.

 

“They will judge her by her looks. You taught me to look beyond the outside appearance of a person. ” Ethan said rubbing at his tanned muscled arms.

 

“You will be the king, one day. You come a long way from that fat little boy who wet himself. I know, your be a much wiser ruler then your father. ” I said looking at Ethan and could just barely see the boy he had been.

 

“I was such a brat. How many times did I try to run away?” Ethan asked me smiling.

 

“I lost count. How many times did your father try to kidnap you back? ” I asked Ethan.

 

“I lost count. ” Ethan said with a chuckle.

 

“Here you are begging to stay. Castles are out of fashion these days. All the new royalty are building these houses with hundreds of rooms and vast gardens. You don't have to live in the capitol. When your King, you can live anywhere in your kingdom. ” I said amused by our discussion.

 

“Like somewhere close to the city of Biville just over the border. ” Ethan said already dreaming of a location somewhere on a map.

 

“Little brother, the steam car is waiting. ” Reina yelled. From the back part of my cave through a door came a young woman dressed in dragon scale armor of red and green. A set of repeating pistols at her sides and plenty of throwing knives at hand in a chest bandolier.

All of these weapons glinting from the light crystals overhead powered by electrical lines.

 

“As one of my bodyguards. You have to start addressing me as Prince Ethan. ” Ethan said back taking some pleasure in needling his adopted big sister.

 

“Okay, Prince Ethan. We are taking the lift down. You wasted enough time saying goodbye. ” Reina said and wave to me having already saying her own farewell.

 

“As King, the first thing I will do is order all slingers to be burned and free all slaves. ” Ethan said to me and I nodded to show that I understood.

 

After kidnapping the prince. King Angmar had slingers placed in all border forts and even the castle itself. Just in case I returned one day.

 

I waited until I could no longer hear the lift moving then exit my cave.

 

My body nearly blocked the cave entrance since I have grown to my full size. Biville had become a small city much like Port's Mouth. Only the town of Dragon's Mouth stayed the same. Mostly because it was the location of the Dragon Palace as most people called it.

I leapt out catching the wind and rose up to circle the monastery. The buildings and the very side of the stone hill had become one very large piece of artwork.

 

Engraved sunbursts mixed with dragons. Stone Hill had become quite famous now as scholars and any student of knowledge came to learn from the many books the monks now owned.

 

Some people still came to share a meal with a dragon who visited the monks almost every evening without fail.

 

I flew over the road from the city and saw the steam car that showed the royal crest of Angmar on the roof just leaving. The front gates of our city were rarely closed anymore.

 

Briefly, I wondered how my own children were doing. I thought about the two wonderful dragons me and Jade had so far.

 

Ruby had taken after me mostly and made her home among the Islands now back in control of the Island People.

 

Garn took after his mother and liked being part of the ruling government in Port's Mouth.

Jade kept herself busy running the small empire that we had from Dragon's Mouth.

I flew over the factories were we made steam cars, cold boxes and were currently testing out the latest flying machines.

 

I landed in a spot set aside for me and walked along the river to an old blacksmith shop nearly driven out of business. Some people still used horses and even our city needed metal work. Thorin slept in a chair on his back porch. He was snoring away even with the steady banging coming from the blacksmith shop.

 

I knew the name on the sign by heart and pictured it in my head. Ivan Imp's Blacksmith shop. It showed a small devilish like creature banging away on an anvil with a hammer. The sign itself created by a famous pair of wood carvers well known for making some very good wooden signs. They lived just over the river and the oldest member still carried a limp.

 

Down the road at the Cyclop's Tavern. Men, dwarfs and sometimes women gathered in the common room to talked about days before steam cars took over the streets of Biville.

It was only when the hammering inside the shop stopped more then a minute that Thorin would wake.

 

“Ivan, you slacking off again. ” Thorin said joking. There were times that Thorin had to pull the young man away from working all the time.

 

Thorin's health had been fading for some years now. He had lost weight and tended to sleep more during the day.

 

“Old man, it's an hour past quitting time. I'm going home to sleep after I get a hot meal. ” Ivan said stepping out of the work shop. Ivan had grown to be a tall strong man.

 

A young teenage girl stepped out of the house and handed Ivan a glass of ice tea recently imported. Muriel gave Ivan a kiss on the cheek after he drained the glass.

 

“Hey now, none of that. ” Thorin said in jest and Muriel rolled her eyes at her dad. She was only a few more days away until Ivan would ask her the big question. Both were very eager to plan their wedding.

 

“How are you feeling Thorin?” I asked him. Ivan waved a goodbye to me and walked on around the corner with Muriel to see him off.

 

Thorin turned toward me just now noticing I was there. Somehow he missed the large dragon that was larger then most homes sitting by the bank of the river waiting for him to wake up.

 

“Better today. I will live long enough to bounce another grand baby on my knee. I can't say that I still don't care for that voice thing you do inside my head. Even if it's a lot faster then watching your clawed hands. ” Thorin said leaning back in his chair.

 

“The world changes. Better get use to it. These days, we got four overgrown lizards running around. I heard a rumor there might be a sea dragon. King Rin claims its been attacking just pirate ships. Shoots jets of water from it's mouth powerful enough to break seasoned wood. ” Dunan Malore said looking much the same even after so many years had passed. Over the years, I learned that dwarfs aged slower then people.

 

Apparently Dunan was coming over to visit his old friend. If asked why he was visiting he always gave the same excuse he was checking to see if Thorin was taking care of his mechanical hand.

 

“How are the mines?” Thorin asked.

 

“Terrible, we dig more metal out then rare gems. We will be farming mushrooms and raising blind fish soon. The caverns do make a nice place for dwarfs to relax. Heard from your boy?” Dunan asked taking a seat next to Thorin.

 

“You know him. Exploring the world with that group of friends. Promises to come home soon. Mentioned something about a big surprise in his last letter. ” Thorin answered.

 

“At least your oldest and youngest stays close. ” Dunan said next thinking about his own children who had spread out to live in other cities.

 

“True. Isabel is bringing little Rosie to stay the night. You should stay so she can pull on your beard some more. ” Thorin said with a chuckle. Isabel never married and the father of her child was a crystal mage of the same age who came to learn and left the town after learning what he could from her teachings.

 

“Sweetest little girl I ever did see. ” Dunan said smiling perhaps recalling his own memories with his many children.

 

“I better get going. It's getting dark. ” I said to both men and took flight after moving some distance away.

 

My final visit took me to Luanda's home. Inside, I could hear Luanda trying to calm her third child down. A baby boy who always got fussy around bed time.

 

Amber was in the back yard playing with her little sister, Pearl. Amber's baby brother Jack was wailing up a storm still.

 

“Grandfather! ” The girls squealed as I came down carefully to land. Given my size, I took up most of the back yard and had to be aware of my feet. Best not to crush any flowers or herbs Luanda had taken the time to care for.

 

The girls climbed up on my back and slid down my scales with happy screams.

 

Luanda came out and smiled as I let the girls slide down my scales. Baby Jack stopped crying to reach out to touch my scales. Sometimes he liked to stare deeply into my yellow cat like eyes.

 

“You do have that magic touch with children. ” Luanda said seeing her son was a lot calmer now.

 

“Just stop by to see how are things. Kids keeping you busy I see. ” I said and Luanda didn't mind me projecting my words into her head.

 

“Everyday, I'm thankful for the rare days of quiet. How are you? I know, Today was the day Ethan left with Reina as his bodyguard. ” Luanda asked.

 

“The boy will be fine. I worry more about Thorin. ” I said to her.

 

“Isabel says he has only a few years left. Still wish we had old Helka still around. That was a sad day when she passed away. ” Luanda said recalling how stern looking the woman was.

Out on the street a ringing sound could be heard from a steam car for hauling cargo. It pulled up to park out front. The back part of the steam car had a hard cover on the back.

 

Reynard, stepped out still wearing his traveling cloak and adult size dragon armor which now included green dragon scales.

 

Then I smelled something that I hadn't detected in a long time.

 

“Crimson, You should come. you too Luanda. ” Reynard called out from the driver's seat as he got out of the steam car. In the passenger’s seat was a hulking figure of a man shape creature known as a Golem. Reynard had accidentally bound himself to it during his adventures.

 

I had to take flight and land on the wide street. Thankfully, people didn't drive that much at night.

 

Reynard went to the rear of the steam car and opened up the back. Luanda gasped as her daughters cooed and I stared down at two little dragons the size of a large dog. One forest green and other one a shade darker red then me.

 

“It's okay. These are more of my friends. I would have been home sooner, but these two little rascals took their sweet time to trust me. Wasn't easy considering there were people hunting these two. Reynard said to the dragons then addressing Luanda.

 

“Can you mind speak? ” I asked the pair of dragons. I figured since these two were together they knew how already.

 

“Yes, we can. ” A female and male voice answered me. They sounded young like children.

 

“Good, I'm Crimson. You are safe here. Reynard is a good friend. ” I said trying to make my mind speaking to sound gentle.

 

“I'm Drake and my sister is Nuri. Reynard gave us our names. He seemed scary at first because he was wearing dragon scales when we first saw him. ” Drake said.

 

“We thought he hunted dragons. ” Nuri said her mind voice seeming embarrassed and Nuri seemed to be the shy one in the pair.

 

“They are good names. I have a cave up on that Stone Hill. Each of you can stay with me for a while. You can rest there and we can speak some more. ” I said and both dragons nodded.

Reynard was just getting to the part of the story where he found the dragons. I heard something about going half way around the world. Over a decade now and the O'Marins on the far side of the world were still fighting. Vast parts of the land were still unexplored and some of it had ruins of previous cities now fallen.

 

Other world powers moved in with the O'Marins divided. Reynard had joined up with other young warriors as paid guards for wagon trains or body guards. Reynard had made quite the name for himself as an honorable swordsman and skilled marksman.

 

“Reynard, Drake and Nuri will stay with me for the night. ” I said to Reynard and he nodded in full agreement.

 

“I can't wait to tell father. ” Reynard said and got back into the steam car.

 

We flew back to my cave and once the much younger dragons settled. I started telling them my story.

 

The End.

3