Crimson’s End: Short story.
113 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Melody

 

Melody walked softly through the wooden temple hallway toward the guest chamber for dragons.

 

The fact, it was still an hour away from the first morning light and she wasn't suppose to be in this section of the temple made her more alert.

 

Her two artificial legs barely made a sound as she moved. Melody had the misfortune of being born without legs from the knees down. Lucky for her, she was a direct descendant of Reynard, son of Thorin.

 

So her family had enough money to get her a set of dwarf made legs since the day she could crawl on her stubs. Thorin himself according to the family legend had a artificial hand after the war.

 

Not long After her ancestor Reynard returned home to Biville City. He ended up marrying two women at once. Reina, who was his adopted cousin and childhood friend. His second wife was a O'Marin woman named Bala. Who fought along side Reynard during his adventures when he traveled the world with friends he made along the way.

 

Melody was proud of the mixed blood which included O'Marins and Island people as well. She had a nice healthy tan skin color and facial features that showed her mixed bloodlines.

 

Melody was only sent to this island temple to work for a summer. It was a rite of passage for those young boys or girls who wished to work with dragons as the dragon bound. Shortly after arriving Melody had heard rumors that one of the old dragons had arrived.

 

Melody wasn't quite a child nor a full mature woman yet.

 

Melody entered through the open doorway into the vast dragon chamber trying to focus her eyes on the darkness as she stepped in. Most likely the dragon she was seeking would be asleep and she have to try another morning.

 

There was an all mighty thump and Melody turned around to see the doorway she entered through was now blocked by a massive tail. The tail's end looked like a spear. The very tip flicked upward and a sturdy switch was thrown upward.

 

The lights came on casting the huge red dragon before her into a blurry outline. Melody shielded her eyes as they focused to the brightness.

 

“Greetings Melody. Back again for another story?” The deep rumbling voice said from inside her head. The mental voice sounded like an old creaking ship on a calm night at sea.

 

“Morning grandfather Crimson and yes. ” Melody answered blinking away the brightness and saw the dragon in front of her. Dull red scales covered the large dragon and as she looked into his colorless cloudy eyes. Melody realized that he was blind during their first meeting. He took in a deep rasping breath through his nose then spoke to her mind again.

 

“I have told you about how I helped end the O'marin hundred year old war. I could tell you how we rescued Luanda's mother or perhaps the battle for Stone Hill again? Maybe, a story about Jade would interest you? ” Crimson asked her.

 

“No, Grandfather. You promised me a secret story that you only told to a few people. Do you remember?” Melody said shyly and blushed a little.

 

Crimson's mind knew so much, but sometimes due to his advance dragon age he forgot things like yesterday's conversation or confused her with someone else long dead.

 

Melody noticed he had shredded quite of few scales in his old age that never grew back. On the dragon's chest was a nasty looking scar from an old weapon called a slinger.

 

“Ah, yes. After I passed out from my wound on Stone Hill. I woke up somewhere else. It looked like Stone Hill, but it was before anything was built on it. Maybe, I was just dreaming, but everything seemed so vivid. ” Crimson said and paused to cough out some smoke then shook his head before going on.

 

“Before me there were two men sitting on fine wooden chairs. One of them was dark as any O'marin I had ever seen, but pure white light shone from his eyes. He wore a simple robe that showed off his fit slim frame. The other man was pale as a grub and beyond being just fat. Rolls of body fat spilled over him covering other parts of his body. A blessing considering he was naked as far as I could tell. For if he wore a loin cloth it was lost in the layers of body fat. It was his eyes which I avoided looking at for very long. They were two dark voids that seem to pull at my very soul. ” Crimson explained

 

Melody made a disgusted face at the mental image in her head and gagged a little.

 

“Yes, I had the same reaction myself. Would it surprise you that I wasn't a dragon in the dream vision or whatever it was? ” Crimson asked her.

 

“You were back to being a human?” Melody asked quickly. There had been an entire first generation of dragons claiming they had been humans once. Their children had no such memories, but could learn just as well as a person

 

“Yes, I was covered in armor made of dragon scales of all things. Even the helm was shaped to look like a dragon's head. I remember taking it off and looking at it. Of course, it had red scales with black edges to it. Then Light Bringer introduce himself. ” Crimson said if recalling a very old memory.

 

Melody could just picture it all as Crimson spoke then described what happened.

 

Crimson

 

“Greetings Lord Crimson of Biville. I'm known as Light Bringer and this rather round being next to me is known as The Dark One. We have taken on these forms to speak with you. ” Light Bringer said in greetings. His voice was deep and relaxing to hear.

 

“I guess, I died then. ” Crimson said standing close enough to be comfortable within speaking distance to the pair.

 

“Not quite, but your were close enough to dying that we are able to have this meeting with you. The head healer known as Helka is currently saving your life. We can stretch out enough time needed for this conversation. This is your chance to ask us questions. We can answer some of the questions that you have. ” Light Bringer said with a friendly expression.

 

“Will we win this fight and what are you exactly? ” Crimson asked. Light Bringer smiled warmly.

 

“Even we don't know the outcome just yet. You can think of me as order and my associate here as chaos. Each of us plays our part and ultimately it's free will that decides the final outcome. Think about your own actions and words you have spoken. Like the night you saved young Reynard from the tiger. What if you did nothing that night?” Light Bringer asked me.

 

“Reynard would have died. ” I answered back without pausing to think.

 

“Yes, you can thank him for urging that beast to crave more human meat. ” Light Bringer said and The Dark One chuckled and as he shook with laughter. The Dark one didn't appear to have any real malice. Rather he looked more amused by the statement. If it had just been a bit of fun for him.

 

Faces and hands of people appeared to be pushing outward on his skin if they were trapped just under the surface. The Dark One placed a pale hand on his skin spreading his sausage like fingers on his flesh as he spoke next.

 

“Please excuse my current form. From the look on your face it's horrible to look at. With so many wicked souls for me to devour this night. It's a real feast for me with so much fighting going on. Thorin's family would have been shattered with grief. Thorin himself would have cast out Wilhem from their group. Wilhem would haven taken to drinking more.

 

Until the day he drank himself to death. The family would have barely earned enough coin to leave the city. Luanda would have killed her master and been hung for the crime of murder. Also ending the life of her unborn child. All because she rather die then see her child in chains one day. ” The Dark One finished with a smirk.

 

Light Bringer broke into the conversation to speak again.

 

“Instead, your good deeds altered their fates. He had the tiger, but I had you as my champion. Each time one of us does something to affect this world. The other is allowed to do something about it. The outcome is nearly always up to free will in the end. ” Light Bringer explained.

 

“You brought me here from another world. A human soul in the body of a dragon. ” I said and Light bringer nodded with a small smile.

 

“So your good and he is evil? ” I asked next looking at Light Bringer then at The Dark One.

 

“We are a blend of both. I want perfect order and he wants total chaos. If one of us ever overpowered the other fully. Life everywhere would come to end given enough time. The balance isn't always the same, but life goes on as long both of us exist. ” Light Bringer answered.

 

“Would you say your good after killing hundreds of soldiers? Not all of them had a choice in coming to Biville. Some of the King's men were drafted into this army. ” The Dark One asked me.

 

“I do what I must to protect my home and my friends. I didn't invade their homeland with an army. ” I answered back.

 

“So you had good intentions. ” The Dark One said smirking. Light Bringer spoke before I could answer.

 

“War is never as simple as people seem to think. Which brings us for the reason we want to speak with you. ” Light Bringer said next casting a brief look at The Dark One.

 

“What is the reason?” I asked.

 

“It will be some time before you remember this conversation with us. When you do. You may tell whoever you like about it. Not all will believe you, but those close to your heart will without question. When the time comes you must leave these lands and help the O'Marins end their war. You will know the day when you can remember our conversation. ” Light Bringer answered.

 

“He wants peace, but feel free to burn their cities to the ground. That would end the war quicker. ” The Dark One spoke almost looking gleeful.

 

“How you do it will depend on your choices and others. ” Light Bringer said and around us the land seemed to be disappearing into a creeping darkness. I realized that our time was coming to an end.

 

“Will I get a chance to speak with you two again?” I asked quickly as the land seemed to vanish around us.

 

“One day. ” Light Bringer said and disappeared into the shadows as I stirred awake into the real world.

 

Melody

 

“Did you ever speak with them again? ” Melody asked leaning forward a little more. She had taken a seat on the floor when his story started.

 

“Not yet. If what I experience was real. I'm assuming, when I finally die that I will be judged by them for my life time of deeds. ” Crimson answered back now resting his head on the temple floor.

 

It was the sound of Crimson's tail moving that caught Melody's attention.

 

Head priestess and some of the Jade temple guards were standing in the doorway. Melody realized far too late that she spend too much time here.

 

“Morning Head Priestess, Yolanda. ” Melody said with a sheepish tone in her voice as she stood up respectfully.

 

“Melody. We have rules here, child. You know this part of the temple is off limits. ” Yolanda said looking sternly at her.

 

“I'm sorry, I just wanted to see a dragon up close. I will do extra chores to make up for it. Or extra studies in...” Melody said and Yolanda held up her hand for silence cutting her off.

 

“You are too remain silent until we leave this room. ” Yolanda ordered and Melody nodded.

 

“Head Priestess, May I have a few words in private? ” Crimson asked focusing his mental voice to all in the room.

 

Yolanda looked startled and nodded to walk a bit closer to Crimson.

 

Their conversation was semi private for Yolanda had to speak out loud during the conversation.

 

“Are you sure?” Yolanda asked him speaking out loud.

 

Melody got the feeling they were speaking about her.

 

“Very well. ” Yolanda said next and Melody watched as temple healers came in next pushing a wooden cart with a fairly large metal sealed drum filled with some liquid.

 

Yolanda walked back over to Melody.

 

“Lord Crimson wishes for you stay as his guest. You may speak. Personally, I think your too young to see his death. ” Yolanda said and Melody looked truly scared now and she looked at Crimson.

 

Melody realized what was in the sealed drum. It was commonly called Dragon's Bane. A bitter smelling poison that could end the life of a dragon.

 

“You can't. ” Melody said as tears pricked at her eyes and heard Crimson's voice inside her head once more.

 

“Don't cry too much over me, child. I'm very very old and my body aches with pain nearly everywhere. Because of this never ending pain. I may end my life in accords to the divine teachings. ” Crimson said and Melody watched as the healers hooked up a clear tube to the metal drum and then ran the other end to Crimson.

 

At their request he opened his mouth and they fed the tube in. Then one healer started an electric pump that was nearly silent.

 

Melody wanted to run over to the pump and shut it off or pull the tube out. Melody remembered where she was. The whole purpose of this temple was to protect dragon eggs, cure sick dragons and end the lives of really old dragons like Crimson.

 

Rarely were the Jade temple guards called upon to end the life of a rogue murderous or a insane dragon.

 

Melody only watched as the liquid made its way into his mouth.

 

Slowly, his breathing could be noticed less often and he closed his cloudy eyes one final time.

 

Then the room fell into total silence as his body stilled and the pump was shut off. One of the temple healers listened for his heart beat with a Stethoscope.

 

The female healer looked at Yolanda and nodded her head.

 

“Come with me, Melody. The death attendants will be here shortly to dispose of the body. ” Yolanda said and Melody realized what that meant. It meant cutting up the body to remove it piece by piece. She quickly joined Yolanda and Melody was returned to her small personal room.

 

Melody was told that she would have the rest of the day to mourn and she was free to visit the gardens if she liked.

 

Melody did cry for a while and found some comfort when one of the domestic island cats wandered in through her partly opened door.

 

Petting the little cat made her feel better. Yolanda brought her some breakfast and left it for Melody to pick over it. Most of the bacon went to the little cat.

 

By lunch time, she regain enough control over her emotions to join the other young interns for lunch in the eating hall. The news of Crimson's passing was now known. There was talk this day would become a new national holiday for the Rin Alliance.

 

That evening, Melody sat in the gardens thinking about her future. Part of her glad she was spared from her studies and chores that day.

 

The other half of her wanted to be doing something. When Melody returned to her room she tidy up a bit then went to bed early after a quick shower.

 

Yolanda returned in the morning and Melody was ordered to follow her.

 

Melody hardly notice when they entered into another section of the temple building that was restricted. They passed through security doors and guard stations with Jade temple guards at attention.

 

“It is my understanding you wish to be a speaker? What the kids call Dragon Bound. ” Yolanda asked as they went down some stairs and the temperature seemed to climb upward.

 

“Yes, head priestess. I know the traditional and the more advance O'Marin form of hand signing. I even heard the Rin Alliance uses the O'Marin tapping system in their army. ” Melody answered.

 

“Lord Crimson's last wishes were for you to be at his side at the end and to help you reach your goal. To aid you along the way. The gold circlets that Crimson wore on his horns will be given to you, later. You will need the extra the money. ” Yolanda said and they passed through one final door into a very warm room.

 

When Melody saw the large incubators she knew where she was. Healers were in the room tending to the various dragon eggs. There seem to be some excitement around one egg in general.

 

“Good, we made it just in time. It's important for a Speaker to meet their hatchling. ” Yolanda said and Melody step up to see an egg starting to crack open.

 

Melody waited in silence like the others and soon enough the egg burst apart. A beautiful green dragon the size of a medium size dog now stood on the table.

 

The little green dragon looked at the gathered people and around the room.

 

Melody learned that newest generation of dragons were pretty smart right out of the egg. They learned much from their parents who could mind speak during their short visits while the hatchling was still in the egg.

 

“Hello, I'm Melody. ” Melody said and tapped the end of the table.

 

The green dragon focused on her then flexed her wings and folded them to her sides. Slowly, if unsure the little green dragon responded back.

 

“Your parents called you Kayda. ” Melody said and noticed everyone in the room had understood. Besides the newest interns there wasn't anyone who didn't know how to hand sign or use the O'Marin tapping system. Everyone who worked with dragons learned it sooner or later.

 

The little green dragon nodded and looked down at her body.

 

“Oh, of course. We better get you cleaned up and something to eat. ” Melody said and turned to see Healers already bringing some food and wash water.

 

Yolanda personally handed Melody a towel.

 

As Kayda ate her food. Melody cleaned her and did it with a smile.

 

Kayda tapped out more words and Melody responded to them by speaking out loud.

 

“Yes, I will be your speaker. I'm young, but I been studying a lot. ” Melody said and Kayda nodded again while yawning.

 

“Kayda, you may stay here and rest. I bring Melody back soon enough. Our healers will tend to you. ” Yolanda said tapping with such speed that showed years of practice.

 

Kayda settled down and went to sleep.

 

“We should join the others in the eating hall. ” Yolanda said and they walked that way.

 

“Head Priestess, do you think I'm truly ready to be a speaker or what some people call Dragon Bound? ” Melody asked as they passed through some guarded security doors.

 

“I know that you have your doubts, child. Your parents did send you here for a reason. It was so you could get more real world experince. Did you know that I’m descendant from Luanda herself. ” Yolanda said and pulled out a necklace with an cat's eye pendent on it.

 

The pendent was made from amber and there was a piece of metal in the center.

 

“According to my family history, this was part of her slave collar. Some of the chain links are from the hinge pin as well. Before he went blind, Crimson's eyes were said to be this shade of amber. ” Yolanda said pointing at the amber pendent's center.

 

Melody looked at it and could picture Crimson with that eye color. Then Melody remembered that she had two cousins who were dragon bound as well. The sheer number of careers for dragon bound seemed to be endless. Some dragon bound traveled far and wide. Others stayed in their home city working among people with their dragon.

 

“She must have had a lot of courage. I will try my best to do the same. Crimson believed in me. ” Melody said taking inspiration from the necklace. Melody had read the history books and knew them well.

 

“I know you will. I got a good feeling about you. ” Yolanda said figuring the girl will do well in life.

 

The End

1