Chapter 99
1k 12 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lan Xiaohui’s heart is stable despite being inflamed by opposing emotions. At the same time, she is glad and also furious. In my capacity as a former strategic weapon, I am unable to determine my owner’s next actions because of these paradoxical emotions. From my viewpoint, I never perceived her kind to have such depth; to me, they always seemed like indecisive, immature intelligences with too much ambition.

Perhaps, because of this, my opinion on these lesser intelligences is changing. As my sentient core is eager to inform me, I enjoy Lan Xiaohui’s struggle both as a participant in her path but also as an observer.

“I told you not to come here anymore,” Lan Xiaohui says without turning around to face Yun Fei.

The other girl stands close by, her fidgeting already a sign of how nervous she is. Unlike Lan Xiaohui, Yun Fei is easy to read and understand. Her motivations and ambitions are simple.

“I just want to make things right between us, Sister Lan,” Yun Fei says. “If you don’t want to see me anymore, I will leave you alone.”

Lan Xiaohui smiles and the indecisiveness in her heart slowly begins to evaporate. Not that the other girl can see her smile.

“How did you know I work here?” Lan Xiaohui asks.

“I didn’t,” Yun Fei replies. “I saw you come from this restaurant last night, at closing time, so I went today to ask if they knew you.”

Lan Xiaohui nods. “Now you know,” she says, tone neither warm nor cold.

After a moment, Lan Xiaohui sighs and turns around.

The other girl smiles, deducing that this must be a good sign for the repair of their relationship.

“I do remember you, Yun Fei,” Lan Xiaohui says. “You were always very kind and polite to me. I could never forget you.”

Yun Fei sucks her lower lip between her teeth. “Does that mean you forgive me, Sister Lan?”

Lan Xiaohui shakes her head. “There is nothing to forgive,” she says.

“I don’t understand,” Yun Fei says.

This time, Lan Xiaohui is much more like the Humanity that I know. She is indecisive and outrageously ambitious. At the same time, she doesn’t want to speak about it, but a part of her also wants her friend to understand her.

“I’ve cut my ties with the sect, Yun Fei,” Lan Xiaohui says. “Not just the sect, but my past life as well. I was Lan Xiaohui once — the person that always wanted to have that hairpin you gifted me. I am surprised you remember that.”

Yun Fei smiles. “I bought it just before you disappeared; I planned on giving it to you for the New Year.” Still, Lan Xiaohui’s other words put the girl in a less optimal mood, but she doesn’t remark on them.

“Now, I am Zhu Xuelian, and in the future, your sect and I may become enemies,” Lan Xiaohui says.

“But why? You were so happy. You would’ve been the future of the sect. You and Yu Shun had everything,” Yun Fei says.

At this, Lan Xiaohui narrows her eyes. She speaks after several seconds of silence, once she is calm. “None of those things are true.”

This time, Yun Fei is silent. It is apparent that she doesn’t know about what happened to Lan Xiaohui; neither did the other two cultivators that my owner met in the forest know many if any of the details. All of them, however, believed that Lan Xiaohui was dead.

“In this life, Yun Fei, you and I cannot be friends,” Lan Xiaohui says. “You should forget about me. Forget you saw me here. Lan Xiaohui did really die in the Ancient Forbidden Hunting Grounds.”

“I cannot do that!” Yun Fei exclaims and steps closer to Lan Xiaohui, her gaze seeking my owner’s. “You are… You are important to me! How can I forget?”

Lan Xiaohui frowns. “If you don’t, you will die.”

Yun Fei freezes at those words. It is easy to understand why, or why the pulse of terror trembles in her heart. She misinterprets my owner’s words.

Lan Xiaohui has correctly determined that she and the Grand Elder of Yun Fei’s sect can not coexist in this world anymore. One day, one of them will have to die. Grand Elders, according to my stolen knowledge, are not easily replaceable and have the full support of the Sect Master and the weight of the entire sect behind them. Fighting a Grand Elder is the equivalent of making the entire sect one’s enemy.

Even if it wasn’t for the Grand Elder, Lan Xiaohui intends to kill the favored son of the sect and the future of their inheritance. If Lan Xiaohui can manage this, then there will be no place under Heaven where she will be safe from retribution. Lan Xiaohui, though, does not plan on remaining under Heaven.

“Yun Fei,” Lan Xiaohui says, approaching the other girl and taking her right hand into both of hers. “Where I go, you cannot follow. That is all I meant.”

Yun Fei frowns, but after a moment, she nods her head. “I would just hold you back?”

It’s Lan Xiaohui’s turn to frown. She shrugs in reply. “That’s not the reason why,” Lan Xiaohui says, evading the responsibility of providing a proper answer to Yun Fei’s question. “I don’t want you to get hurt because of me.”

Yun Fei rips her hand out of Lan Xiaohui’s grasp and looks away. “I understand,” she says.

“Yun Fei…”

“You are joining the Galaxy Sword Sect, aren’t you?” Yun Fei asks.

Lan Xiaohui nods. “I am.”

“Then, if I cut my ties with the Seven Killing Swords, and join the Galaxy Sword Sect too, to prove I can follow where you go, will you take me with you?” Yun Fei asks.

Just like that, a mountain of responsibility drops on Lan Xiaohui’s shoulders, and the first response in her heart is to deny it. But then the indecision settles in.

“All right,” Lan Xiaohui says and once more takes Yun Fei’s hand. “If you manage to join the Galaxy Sword Sect, we can be friends. But if you don’t, promise you will forget about me.”

Yun Fei frowns but then nods. “I won’t fail, Sister Lan.”

Lan Xiaohui smiles. “I am not a disciple anymore, and Lan Xiaohui is not my name.”

“Zhu Xuelian,” Yun Fei says and nods. “It’s a pretty name.”

“Thank you,” Lan Xiaohui says, and then gently — and casually — strokes Yun Fei’s cheek with her right hand. “I suppose I will see you at the Martial Meeting, then?”

Yun Fei nods, beaming happily. “I suppose so,” she says, her voice shaky. “Now that I am determined to do it, I feel really nervous.”

Lan Xiaohui chuckles. “Even if you fail, you have nothing to worry about. The sect will take you back — the Martial Meeting is a good experience for the disciples.”

Yun Fei shakes her head. “I don’t know about that. Ever since you disappeared, things have changed.”

An ember of curiosity burns in Lan Xiaohui’s heart, but she quickly quells it. She has nothing to do with that sect anymore.

“I should go now,” Yun Fei says.

Lan Xiaohui nods.

After a moment of hesitation, Yun Fei asks. “Did you like my gift?”

Lan Xiaohui smiles. “I did. If there is anything good that has come out of my past, that is this hairpin and having met you.”

Yun Fei’s eyes widen at those words and she cannot conceal her big smile. She nods. “I am happy to know that,” she says. “Good night, Zhu Xuelian.”

“Good night, Yun Fei,” she says. “I will be cheering for you.”

Almost at chapter 100!

22 more chapters on Patreon!

46