A little stroll
992 4 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sitting on the soft grass in some secluded forest clearing. I was looking at the map currently in my hands.

After my grand escape and making sure no one is following me, I checked my loot.

Honestly, I didn't find anything of interest. Other than this map. It appears to be a map of the county we are currently in. Some cities were marked with descriptions near them.

No idea what that could mean. Thought I could recognize some cities. Their names changed a bit but their location is the same. This much I could understand.

Being a royal it's only normal for me to be knowledgeable about the geography of the empire.

"Hmm, where are we?"

Suddenly, I could feel Arteen stirring up. Currently, her head was treating my lap as a nice pillow. Frankly, it was me who put her in that position.

'Couldn't let her rest on the ground after all?'

Still, the girl really is a heavy sleeper. It's been quite a while since the sun has already risen up. Waking up only now, she probably was really exhausted.

'Did yesterday really tire her out so much?'

I couldn't help but thought, looking at her. Seeing her sitting up and rubbing her sleepy eyes. I pushed her head gently to my lap again.

"You can sleep more"

I said and started to look at the map again.

Nonetheless, Arteen seems to be quite restless. So I stroked her hair a little, calming her down and shortly after making her fall asleep again. 

I don't want to brag but being the oldest of the siblings in my old world, I know how to take care of kids.

-Two hours later-

"So where are we?"

Asked Arteen with a bit more vigor than before waking up again.

Stopping my meditation, she looked at me with her big curious eyes. This time she didn't bother to rise up from my lap.

Well, I guess my earlier words were taken as permission.

"No idea but we left a city for sure"

I never left the capital.

So...

"Haha... but honestly, where are we?"

Taking my words for a joke. Maybe becomes my subtle smile when saying this. She chuckled a little.

Seeing this, my smile deepened a little.

"Well, we were lost from the beginning so does it make a difference?"

...

She looked at me like her entire image of me had just crumbled before her very eyes and said.

"So from the beginning, we were traveling aimlessly?"

I responded feeling a need to correct her.

"Well of course not, we are going west. Didn't you say that the capital was in that direction?"

She opened her mouth and closed it soon after. Wanting to say something but in the end, she just sighed.

"Hey, stop doing that you make me feel stupid"

I said and at the same time, I gently poked her tiny nose.

When I did that. She stood up going for a safe distance from me. Rubbing her nose, feeling it suddenly becoming itchy.

"Sorry you were looking so confident, I just thought you know the way." I detected a bit of a sassy tone in her words. Making me ponder just where this shy and timid girl went to. Leaving this little demon.

But actually, I don't mind. It's a good thing that she is more comfortable with me.

"Here, you are hungry. Aren't you?"

I said, bring out some rations from the ring with a cup of water, I just now prepared.

"Umm...Thanks"

Maybe a little ashamed she accepted the food and started eating.

>>>>>>>>>>

"Can you stop looking?"

Said Arteen with her eyes focused on food but from time to time she would steal some glances in my direction.

Making me, only now realize that I was actually staring at her.

"Sorry, I just thought of something. Do you want to walk a little?"

I said closing my eyes.

"Walk?"

She asked curiously.

"Yes, we are near a big city. It's not that far, we can take a little stroll. Would you mind?"

"Sure, I don't mind"

She answered happily.

After that, she started to eat her food faster. So, I couldn't stop myself from not saying anything.

"We have time. You don't need to rush, okay?"

She looked at me surprised but could only see me meditating with closed eyes. Making her confused about how I know that.

I smiled again answering.

"At some point in your path of cultivation. You can see the world around you, even though your eyes are closed."

"How?"

She asked intrigued.

"You will know when you reach that point"

This in turn made her pout in protest to my unsatisfactory answer. Still, I didn't continue the topic.

-10 minutes later-

Walking through the dirty forest path with Arteen. Looking at the lush forest and its abundant fauna.

From time to time we will meet some forest wildlife. Like a deer, I currently see in the distance. Still, nothing dangerous comes near to us.

Well, I heard that spirit beasts have sharp instincts so that is probably why.

"Arteen I have a question"

Turning her head in my direction and stopping to look at the beautiful blue flowers next to her, she replied.

"Yes?"

"In what language we are currently speaking?"

Little surprised by a question, she still answered.

"It's an ancient Hakari language"

Smiling a little she added.

"You are speaking it really fluently, so you should know."

"So, how did you learn this language?"

I asked inquiringly.

"I...you know my father was a wealthy merchant so even though only nobility and scholars learn it. He gave me an opportunity to study it."

"Is that so? Interesting"

I said aloud more to myself.

After another five minutes of silent walking.

"Arteen"

"Yes?"

I wouldn't call myself an introvert. However, it has been quite a while since I spoke to anyone. So I kinda have a hard time starting a conversation.

Taking out the map, I showed it to the girl.

"Can you read this?"

Looking at the map attentively, she answered.

"I can, it's in my native language. So it shouldn't be a problem."

Taking her eyes from the map and looking at me with a bit of interest. It is easy to tell, she wants to ask me about something.

"Do you have something on your mind?" I asked.

Being a little troubled by it. She finally hesitantly asked.

"Well, I don't want to..you know...but how did you get a map in the foreign language of the neighboring country. Containing some of the most important details of the cities and strategic places in this county?"

"So what does description near the cities mean?"

Skipping her question, I asked another one. Maybe showing her this was a mistake...Still, it's too late now.

"It's saying the group numbers from T22 to T29. Near every major city, there is placed at the very least one of these groups."

Finished saying the girl. Tactfully understanding me, she didn't probe any further.

>>>>>>>>>>

"We are finally here."

I said as we left the woods meeting with the sight of the magnificent city in the distance.

"You know what? Two hours of constant walking isn't exactly a little stroll"

Said Arteen feeling indignant.

I couldn't help myself but answer with a bit of humor.

"Well, I proposed to carry you but you refused."

"Yes but...but..."

Exclaimed Arteen getting so frustrated that she was actually stomping her foot on the ground.

Though we didn't talk a lot through our walk. The girl seemed to drop all sorts of formalities with me. Daring even to show her anger on me.

Still, for me, it's a little funny. Seeing her so mad.

"Then carry me now. I can't walk anymore. My legs will fall off."

Said or more like demanded a girl.

"Here, come"

Maybe not anticipating, I would accept so readily. She slowly climbed my back and hugged me tightly like a koala, I think she is. Not saying anything in the process.

Well, that is, if you missed that "hmph" when she clung to me.

As it wasn't that far with our flying speed, we arrived at the city soon after. Just like before landing in some back alley.

I don't want to wait in the queue to get to the city the normal way. For me, it's just a waste of time.

Joining the masses on the main road you could hear stall owners shout their advertisements, promoting their own goods. Artists perform on their instruments, gathering some crowds in the process.

The streets were bustling with energy, I even saw some couples looking at each other as if only they exist in this world. Few elderly people were sitting on the benches or next to the tables near the shops enjoying their morning coffee.

I can't say but it looked kinda nice.

Turning my head to the person standing next to me. That seems to regen her energy upon entering a city. I spoke up.

"Arteen we have a couple of things to take care of. Let's go."

52