Peaceful Resolution?
3.5k 43 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I live! And most importantly, I brought a new chapter!

Sorry about the late update. I have so much going on that I debated whether to split this day in half or not, however I decided to not split this chapter, cause it would be mean otherwise.( ᗒᗨᗕ )

I do have bad news however. I am going to be slowing down updates because my current schedule is starting to burn me out. Other than that I will still write when I have time and am not napping, or reading someone else's story.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy!(˃ᆺ˂✿)

Pov Nadia:

Something was not right.

 

I shifted as I tried to fall back asleep, but the nagging feeling kept tugging at the back of my mind, refusing to leave me in peace.

 

'What could possibly be wrong?'

 

Realizing that it was my mental link to the forest’s defenses that was going off, I bolted upright, causing Zoey to shriek and bolt upright as well.

 

Zoey saw my floofed up tail as I turned my head in the direction that the signal was coming from.

 

"What is it?" Zoey asked, worried.

 

"Intruders…" I vacantly trailed off.

 

"Intruders?" She curiously asked.

 

I affirmed, "Yeah."

 

I closed my eyes and held a finger while saying, "One moment, I am going to try to see who it may be."

 

"Alright." Zoey whispered.

 

I focused on my link, and my viewpoint honed in on the current location of the intruders.

 

Stopping above the group with a birds eye view, I examined them and drew in a sharp breath.

 

"What's wrong?" Zoey asked.

 

Keeping my eyes closed, I explained, "It is Princess Liliana, with someone dressed up like a butler, and a heavily armored person with her as well."

 

I opened my eyes.

 

Indecisive, I asked Zoey, "What should we do? Should I just ignore her, or go and see what she wants?"

 

Zoey thought for a moment, then shrugged her shoulders.

 

She suggested, "Maybe we should ask Laena for her opinion."

 

I nodded.

 

We quickly got ready and I checked the time before we exited the room.

 

10:25am

 

*wah!*

 

Zoey rushed over to me.

 

"What is it?"

 

My ears drooped as I fretted, "We overslept again. 

 

Now they might think that I am a terrible host, or worse… Tease us about why we slept in."

 

Zoey blushed a little, but hugged me as she consoled, "They won't think that you are a terrible host and hold it against you. They aren't that mean."

 

Sighing she smirked and poked me in the side.

 

*Yipe!*

 

"They will however definitely tease us. There is no escaping that."

 

I pouted, then poked Zoey in the side in retaliation.

 

*Gah!*

 

She put her hands over her heart and looked at me as if betrayed before smiling mischievously.

 

She held her hand towards me and wiggled her fingers as she challenged, "Oh, it's onnnnn!"

 

I slowly backed away from her fearfully before bumping into the corner of the room.

 

I pitifully cried, "Mercy."

 

Zoey just smiled, and pounced and began tickling my sides.

 

*wahahaha!* "Wait!" *tehehehe!* "Nyooo!" *hahaha!* "Zoeeeeeey!" *hehehe!*

 

Out of breath and gasping I pouted at her, "Meanie."

 

She giggled, which set me off.

 

I cried, "Oh that is it!" before teleporting behind her and tickling her armpits.

 

*Gahahaha!* "Wait!"

 

I did not listen and continued my payback, tickling her some more.

 

*tehehe!* "Nadia!" *ahahaha!* "Mercy!" *hehehe!*

 

I left her red faced and panting for breath, and I nodded, satisfied that retribution has been returned.

 

Zoey got up, And was about to continue the war before she froze, and held her hands out in a T as she called, "Timeout!"

 

She fretted, "We forgot about the intruder situation!"

 

I froze as well.

 

"Whoops." fell from my mouth in shock.

 

Snapping out of our daze, we scrambled to the door and opened it.

 

Ms. Miranda was in the dining room, finishing cooking breakfast.

 

She glanced at us and teased, "Oh, the love birds finally came out. Have fun?"

 

We stopped in our tracks and blushed fiercely.

 

*awawawa*

 

I hid my face with my tail as Zoey did the same with her hands while crying indignantly, "Ms. Miranda!"

 

Giggling Ms. Miranda gushed, "You two are so adorable, I can't help it!"

 

Zoey pouted, "Doesn't mean you have to tease us about it though."

 

Ms. Miranda giggled, and held her hands up in surrender as she conceded, "Alright, I will let you two off. For now."

 

She added cheerfully, "Anyways, breakfast is almost ready."

 

I wagged my tail and cheered "Breakfast!" joyfully, all important thoughts pushed to the back of my mind as I salivated over what divine thing we would eat now.

 

Zoey tapped on my shoulder as she asked, "Weren't we going to talk about something important?" motioning her head in a certain direction.

 

Confused, I tilted my head and asked, "What?" Before shaking it and getting distracted by what was on the stove.

 

Excited to eat, I tugged on Zoey’s hand while beaming, "Come on let's go!" Trying to get her to the table.

 

When she did not move, I turned back and saw her concerned face.

 

I asked, "Are you ok?"

 

Zoey frowned for some reason.

 

Seeing Zoey down was bad, and I did not like it. Maybe my love needed some snuggles and food to feel better.

 

I came up to her and hugged her and pat her on the head. "There there, everything will be ok, let's get something to eat. That should help." I gently rubbed her on the back while tenderly guiding her to the table.

 

I pulled a chair out and motioned for her to sit on it.

 

She vacantly nodded, and sat down.

 

I got on her lap, and snuggled with her.

 

Seeing her stressed out face holding back tears, I gently soothed, "I don't know what's wrong, but why don't we get something to eat."

 

I kissed her on the forehead and looked into her eyes and seriously stated, "Food always makes you feel better."

 

Zoey giggled, and gave me a pitying stare.

 

At that moment Ms. Miranda placed a heaping plate of divine goodies as she softly whispered, "Here, why don't you have breakfast while I have a chat with Zoey."

 

Not needing to be told twice to eat, my mind turned to bliss as I began devouring my food.

 


 

Pov Zoey:

It really hurt seeing Nadia like this.

 

She was unaware that her instincts took control of her, and I was worried about her breaking down once she was coherent again.

 

It hit me hard, realizing that her instincts could make her so vulnerable, and whether she knew what she was doing and how much of her affection at the moment was genuine.

 

Ms. Miranda placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

 

She softly asked, "Are you doing alright?"

 

Tears welling up, I shook my head no.

 

Ms. Miranda hugged me, and started rubbing my back.

 

She sat on the seat beside me, and her voice became distant as she recalled a memory.

 

"I remember a time when I was a child. I was depressed for some reason and I came to my brother looking for comfort.

 

He was eating at the time, and I wanted to tell him all about my bad day.

 

He knew something was wrong, and gave me a hug while offering some of his food to me.

 

I did not want any food and just wanted him to listen.

 

I began telling him my story but just knew that he was not focusing. He was devouring his food and did not acknowledge anything I said in his distraction, just kept pausing from time to time inviting me to eat something.

 

In tears I ran to my parents crying that my brother is ignoring me and hates me.

 

My parents, realizing what was going on, gave me a hug."

 

"Do you know what they told me?" She rhetorically asked me.

 

I shook my head no.

 

She continued on, "They told me that my brother does not hate me and genuinely loves me. He just can't show it well with food muddling his mind.

 

They affectionately poked me in the side and asked me, Just how much does your brother love food.

 

Laughing I immediately answered a lot!

 

Then they asked me, Did he offer the food that he loves very much?

 

I nodded at them sheepishly.

 

They tenderly told me, If he can offer you food, the one thing he holds dear above everything, to you, then his love for you can not be low.

 

You have seen how he ignores even his friends while he is in the middle of eating. It drives them bonkers!"

 

Ms. Miranda laughed as she remembered her parents' antics, and continued reminiscing, "I knew they were right, my brother did care about me more than food.

 

Much later my brother came to me apologizing endlessly with tears in his eyes as he asked for forgiveness for not being there for me."

 

Ms. Miranda sighed, "I guess what I am trying to get at is that Nadia's love for you is the real thing. Nature Kin have it hard when it comes to relationships, especially when their lovers don't realize that offering food is such a big deal for them. 

 

Their thoughts are muddled and may be in the wrong place, but their love and concern always will be real when it comes to their loved ones."

 

I sniffed and wiped the tears from my eyes as relief filled me that Nadia genuinely loved me, as confused as she was.

 

Suddenly Nadia frustedly cried out "Stupid, stupid instincts!"

 

She hugged me tightly and began bawling into my chest, crying, "I'm sowwy." over and over.

 

I tenderly stroked the back of her head as I soothed, "It is ok, you have done nothing wrong."

 

*uuurrrrrgh!*

 

Nadia suddenly screamed frustratedly into my chest, then yowled, "Just why must my instincts ruin everything. It's just not fair!"

 

Ms. Miranda froze, shocked by words that were very familiar to her.

 

I hugged her tightly as I comforted her, humming a melody as she bawled her heart out.

 

Feeling vibrations as she softly purred, I realized that she fell asleep.

 

Affectionately I smiled and shook my head.

 

Ms. Miranda unfroze as her mind came back to the present.

 

Very carefully, she probed, "I have been meaning to ask, but why does it seem like Nadia is so unused to her instincts.

 

Like just yesterday, she seemed more embarrassed than would be normal when she extended her shadow claws. Now that I think about it, normally a Nature Kin would laugh it off or act like nothing happened when they do something embarrassing because it is just another day for them.

 

Just now, she even asked the same question my brother did a long time ago."

 

Conflicting emotions flashed across my face.

 

I didn't know if it would be proper to reveal her history, however, Ms. Miranda would be the best person to come to in order to help Nadia.

 

I sighed, already having a decision in mind.

 

Hopefully she will not come back to bite me, she really does need someone more knowledgeable than me to guide her through dealing with her instincts.

 

I looked into Ms. Miranda’s eyes and explained, "Nadia, she used to be a human."

 

Ms. Miranda giggled then suddenly stopped.

 

Her eyes widened in shock when she realized that I was serious, and exclaimed "WHAT?!?!" *WHAT What what wha…*

 

*bang!*

 

The front door burst open as Laena rushed inside.

 

"What is it?!" She fretted.

 

Seeing a shocked Ms. Miranda and Nadia sleeping in my lap -still purring-, she sighed, realizing that it was not an emergency.

 

Still curious about the situation she asked, "What did I miss?"

 

Ms. Miranda looked at me with a questioning look, whether she should reveal this sensitive information or not.

 

I bit my lip and agonized if Laena could be trusted with Nadia's history. She did however withhold information for her, and from the president at that.

 

That was such a risky move to make, especially as I recalled Lady Vera's angry voice as she declared that she hated it when information was withheld from her.

 

Deciding that she was safe, I sighed and motioned for Ms. Miranda to go ahead.

 

Ms. Mirand looked at Laena and vacantly elaborated, "Zoey just finished telling me that Nadia used to be a human."

 

Shocked, Laena cried, "THE HECK?!?!" *HECK Heck heck hec…*

 

Nadia shifted and groaned in my lap, and I gave Laena a dark look.

 

Laena sheepishly shuffled and meekly said, "Sorry."

 

Then she pinched the bridge of her nose as she commented under her breath, "Every time I think that Nadia can't shock me any more, something gets revealed that flips common sense on its head. 

 

I really should just expect the unexpected when it comes to her. It will be easier on me that way."

 

She then took a seat at the table and motioned for me to go ahead.

 

I shook my head.

 

Clearing my throat, I articulated, "As I said earlier, Nadia used to be a human."

 

I cradled Nadia in my arms and affectionately stroked her hair as I softly continued, "I won't reveal the details, as that is her right, but she died on her world.

 

The one responsible for her death, cursed her, and now she is struggling with her new instincts as she handles her new form."

 

Ms. Miranda and Laena gave her looks of pity as they both softly remarked, ""Poor girl.""

 

At that moment, Nadia began twitching her legs as she quietly sang, "I am gonna get you Zoeeeeey~"

 

My face heated up and Laena and Ms. Miranda gushed at the adorable scene.

 

As they amusedly shook their heads, Ms. Miranda softly stated, "Well, at least she has you with her. I will help as needed, but there is not much that I can say."

 

She looked me in the eyes as she advised, "As I told you earlier, Nature Kin only need a strong  emotional support. As long as there is someone there for them to rely on, they can get over most issues that life throws at them."

 

I nodded at her words, resolving myself to be there for Nadia.

 

I turned to Laena and curiously asked, "What were you doing outside anyways?"

 

Laena snapped back to seriousness as she informed, "I had just got off of a call with the president. She was asking if we needed anything in order to better protect Nadia while they try to figure out the princess' next move."

 

Suddenly remembering why we first came out, I leaped up with Nadia in my arms and exclaimed, "Oh yeah! The princess!"

 

Laena flinched as I yelled that and then made a calm down gesture as she asked, "The princess what?"

 

Taking a deep breath, I sat down again and tenderly stroked Nadia as I gently lulled her to sleep again.

 

I then elaborated, "The princess is currently in these woods right now."

 

Laena then facepalmed herself. "Really. I should have seen that coming."

 

Shaking her head she remarked, "That princess is quite impatient."

 

I noticed that she didn't have any anger in her voice as she mentioned the princess.

 

Curious, I gently prodded, "Didn't you hate the princess for what she did yesterday?"

 

Laena sighed, then explained, "She has definitely caused many, many problems. I got in contact with a few of the officers yesterday evening and found out that the damage was not as bad as I thought.

 

There are only a couple serious injuries among the heroes that are currently being treated by the otherworlders, and the rest were captured, most of them not realizing how or when they were put to sleep. I was told that they can't escape because of special handcuffs somehow suppressing their powers..."

 

I commented, "They most likely used mass sleep spells, and the handcuffs were probably enchanted with power suppressing runes."

 

She nodded and continued, "...and for some baffling reason, they were allowed to keep their communication devices. From what I understand, it seems like as long as they don't try anything, they are treated like they are under house arrest."

 

She smirked. "The only one who is truly suffering seems to be that poophead. That princess can definitely hold a grudge."

 

I giggled at her words.

 

Trying to get us back on topic, I asked, "So, what should we do about her."

 

I thought of some possibilities. I began, holding up my pointer finger, "I mean, we could report her, but I only see that causing her to get captured or killed, and who knows how the other world would react to that."

 

Raising my second finger, I continued, "We could also just meet her and see what she has to say, and go from there."

 

Raising my third finger, I concluded, "Or, we could ignore her for the next month, and hopefully our side does nothing to provoke her. She seems like someone that would keep her promises."

 

Laena pinched her chin, pondering for a few moments.

 

After a while she said, "I think I will report her to just Lady Vera and ask for permission for another peace negotiation. That way we won't be seen as traitors, and hopefully find a peaceful resolution to this conflict."

 

I just nodded at her reasonable words, and decided to follow along with her plan.

 

Laena pulled up her intelligent watch and made a call.

 

After the first ring, Lady Vera's anxious voice immediately came through, "What is it? Is everything alright?"

 

Laena reassured, "Everything is currently under control."

 

Then she asked, "Are you alone right now?"

 

A moment passed, and I heard some rustling and a door click closed.

 

Lady Vera replied, "Yes, I am alone."

 

Laena reported, "The princess is trying to track us right now, and I wanted to ask if we could try to set up another peace negotiation with her."

 

Worried, she asked, "Are you being chased right now? How many are on your tail?"

 

Laena reassured her before she could send an army to retrieve us, "We are not currently being chased by anyone, our location is safe and unreachable for her. As for how many were spotted in her search party,..."

 

Laena looked at me, and gestured for me to answer the second question.

 

Quickly I chipped in, "There are only three people. The princess, a guard, and one who is dressed as a butler."

 

Lady Vera sighed, realizing that we weren't in any immediate danger.

 

There was silence on the other end for a few moments, and I flinched as Lady Vera suddenly declared authoritatively, "Laena Reyes, I authorize you to set up another peace negotiation with the other world, HOWEVER, I want you to use the hologram function to allow me to join in on the meeting. I want to personally be involved in this matter, so call me as soon as you meet."

 

Laena acknowledged, "Affirmative."

 

She closed, "I will see you soon."

 

Laena replied back, "See you soon."

 

*click! beep beep beep*

 

I looked at Laena and commented, "Well, that went better than I was expecting."

 

Laena nodded, looking relieved that things didn't blow up, just like she was hoping for.

 

Laena then remarked, "Well, it looks like we have a princess to meet."

 

Smirking, she gestured to Nadia, "However, you will need to wake up the adorable sleepyhead."

 

I looked down at my love, and basked in the sensation of her purring for just one more moment before reluctantly whispering, "Bacon."

 


 

Pov Nadia:

My eyes snapped open as I excitedly looked around for-

 

I froze seeing everyone's amused faces.

 

*awawawa!*

 

I covered my face with my tail as it heated up in my embarrassment.

 

Zoey gently ruffled my hair and softly asked, "Did you have a nice nap?"

 

I meekly nodded, wondering when exactly I drifted off.

 

Then I frowned as my memories came rushing back.

 

I warily examined Zoey’s face to see if she was still upset about that episode.

 

I really caused her to be stressed out more and more without meaning to. I hated how my thoughts were muddled and distracted, to the point my mind could not even function enough to hold a complex conversation.

 

It was scary how natural it felt, and I didn't even realize that I forgot something so important until after I finished eating.

 

I was very worried that I would hurt Zoey in the future by not being able to give her proper comfort when she needs it most. All just because my instincts took control of me at a bad moment.

 

I did not want that to happen, but realistically it is a very real possibility.

 

Tears welled up in my eyes over a bleak looking future.

 

Concerned, Zoey asked, “Is what happened earlier still bothering you?”

 

“Kinda.” I answered halfheartedly, shifting my eyes.

 

Zoey affectionately traced my jaw and gently inquired, “What do you mean?”

 

I looked into Zoey’s eyes, and quietly muttered, “I am afraid that I will hurt you in the future. I am worried that something will happen that will upset you, and that I will make it worse because my mind will be muddled by my instincts. I don’t want to be the one to drive us apart, I-”

 

Zoey interrupted my depressing rant by pressing her lips against mine, and my thoughts scattered as I melted into the sensation.

 

*snap!*

 

“Owch!”

 

Zoey suddenly separated and flicked me on the forehead.

 

Tears welled up as I indignantly cried “What was that for?”

 

‘How did she get past my defense anyways?’

 

Zoey berated me, “Don’t think so little of my love. It doesn’t matter even if we have a huge disagreement, nothing will tear us apart! My love for you is stronger than that.

 

I will always be with you, through the good and the bad, sickness and health, forever and always, because I am in love with you, Nadia.”

 

I swooned at her words and recalled what exactly was written in Iris’ letter to me.

 

“That's right, it is because it is from Zoey that I  subconsciously accepted the pain. As long as it is for her, I can take on anything. I am truly hopelessly in love with her.’

 

I gazed affectionately into Zoey’s eyes and adoringly replied, “I love you too.”

 

We got lost in each others eyes and-

 

“Gawllll, aren’t they just so cute?” Ms. Miranda gushed.

 

Freezing, we blushed as we remembered that we were not alone.

 

Embarrassed, I hugged Zoey and hid my face into her chest.

 

Zoey meanwhile recovered quickly, and lightly rubbed my back to comfort me.

 

Ms. Miranda wiggled her eyebrows at Zoey and teased, "Sooo, when are you two getting married?"

 

*awawawa, poof!*

 

Zoey indignantly cried, "Ms. Miranda!" while I was overwhelmed with embarrassment, causing a steam explosion from my face.

 

While I rebooted, Ms. Miranda giggled and held her hands up in surrender while amusedly consoling,  "Alright, I know it is too soon. I just had to ask."

 

When I came to, I dreamily muttered, "Marriage."

 

With that on my mind, I couldn’t help daydreaming about marrying Zoey, and I couldn't help wagging my tail at the idea, imagining her in a beautiful dress.

 

*snap snap!*

 

My focus lasered back to reality as Zoey snapped her fingers and concernedly asked, "Are you with me?"

 

Blushing, I nodded.

 

Zoey sighed, and shifted while opening and closing her mouth struggling to say something.

 

Seeing that, I warily asked, "What is it?"

 

She settled on saying, "As much as I don't mind snuggling, we have to go out and meet that princess right now. We can’t keep the President waiting for too long, after all."

 

I tilted my head in confusion and asked, "The President?"

 

Zoey blushed, and then filled me in on what I missed.

 

After she finished, I commented, "Woah, that went way better than I thought it would."

 

Everyone nodded at that.

 

Worried if the meeting fails, I taped my pointer fingers together a few times while asking, "Would it be fine if we held the meeting in one of the forest’s clearings? Just in case things don't work out. I don't want to risk my house being damaged."

 

Laena softly looked into my eyes as she reassured, "That is fine, I was going to suggest that anyways."

 

Impatient to get this over with, I hopped off Zoey's lap and exclaimed, "What are we waiting for? Let's- ack!"

 

"What is it?" Zoey jumped up in concern seeing my tail suddenly floof up in shock.

 

I unfroze and began fretting, "I just realized that I am not dressed properly for a meeting with important people."

 

Zoey sighed and amusedly shook her head.

 

Zoey placed her hand on my shoulder and consoled, "We are about to have a meeting in the middle of the forest. Nice clothes will just get ruined.

 

Also, the princess came to us with no warning, and as such should not be expecting any decency from us. There are no problems with the way you are dressed right now."

 

I sighed in relief, and softly conceded, "Ok."

 

After a moment of silence, Zoey asked, "Ready to go?"

 

I nodded.

 

I helped Zoey stand up, and she gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

 

Zoey and I then returned to my room to fetch our shoes.

 

Once we entered the living room, I noticed that Ms. Miranda wasn't wearing her shoes.

 

Tilting my head, I asked, "Are you coming?"

 

Ms. Miranda shook her head, and softly declared, "No, I won't be going with you."

 

I nodded.

 

Laena called from the front door, "Is everyone that is coming ready?"

 

""Yeah."" Zoey and I replied.

 

Ms. Miranda then suddenly pulled us in a hug and whispered, "Stay safe."

 

We nodded, and as we left the door, I exclaimed, "See ya!"

 

Ms. Miranda waved, and I gave a mental command for the fog to guide the princess' party to the nearest clearing as she closed the door.

 

Laena then inquired, "Which way do we go?"

 

I cheerfully began skipping as I beamed, "This way!"

 

"Wait!" Zoey suddenly called out.

 

I stopped, skidding a few inches.

 

Turning around, I tilted my head and asked, "Yeah? What is it?"

 

Zoey pointed in the direction opposite of where I was headed and asked, "Didn't you say that the princess was this way earlier?"

 

I nodded, "Yep!"

 

Before Zoey could ask anything in confusion, I clarified, "The forest's defenses -besides impairing your vision- teleports you around randomly. That is why even if you walk in a straight line, you would still be lost in these woods."

 

Laena and Zoey shivered, thankful that they had not been caught in the forest’s defenses.

 

Warily, Laena worried, "We won't get trapped in the forest’s defenses, right?"

 

*awawawa*

 

I waved my hands rapidly in denial, "You don't have to worry about that. Since you are my guest and have my permission, you can freely travel any way you want."

 

Zoey and Laena sighed in relief.

 

Zoey then commented, "Well, at least we don't have to worry about getting lost for who knows how long."

 

Laena nodded in agreement.

 

Zoey then suddenly warned, "I am going to summon a light so that we can see better."

 

I replied, "Ok." before quickly turning away from Zoey so I don't get blinded.

 

*pop!*

 

The area brightened, and Laena quietly muttered, "I wish Zoey could've been with us when we were hiking through earlier. At least I wouldn't have stumbled over as many roots as I did then."

 

Zoey and Laena then made their way to me, and once they caught up, I grabbed Zoey’s hand and began leading them to the clearing I chose.

 

Arriving at the destination, I stopped and beamed, "Were here!"

 

Laena and Zoey examined the clearing, and saw a gap in the fog on the other side.

 

Laena observed, "I take it that is where the Princess' party will come from?"

 

I nodded.

 

She then turned to Zoey, "Do you have any protective spells just in case?"

 

Zoey nodded and raised her hand. A few runes appeared and flew to her, Laena… and me.

 

I tilted my head confused, and asked, "What was that for?"

 

I didn't want Zoey wasting her mana on something useless.

 

Zoey, catching what I was thinking, explained, "That was to disguise your signature. We were really lucky last time that she did not recognize you as a deity."

 

"Oh." [Nadia]

 

Suddenly we all turned as we heard a man's voice.

 

"Halt! I see a light ahead. Let me check it out to see if it is safe."

 

On The opposite side of the clearing, an armored person appeared.

 

He was tall, and his blue armor made him seem more like a hero than a knight. His helmet was rounded with three spikes coming off the top and an orange tinted visor.

 

Other than that, the plating on his suit was bulky as if he was expecting to tank a bunch of heavy attacks as I would imagine a paladin knight to wear.

 

I honestly thought that he looked cool, but also intimidating as he turned towards us.

 

Spoiler

Knight Captain

[collapse]

 

I hid behind Zoey, and he turned around only after making sure that this wasn't a trap.

 

He sighed and muttered, "Not a monster or illusion. Just the one we are searching for. Let's just get this meeting over with so that we can leave this creepy forest."

 

He called out, "It is safe."

 

Princess Liliana entered the clearing, and looked around warrily. She sighed "Finally." in relief when she saw us.

 

Right behind her was a butler. He had medium length yellow hair and indigo colored eyes.

 

I was fascinated with how his suit was still in pristine condition despite traveling through the woods.

 

If I remembered later, I would ask him for his secret.

 

Spoiler

Sebastian

[collapse]

 

They stopped a decent distance from our group, and there was an awkward silence as we thought of how we should begin.

 

The Princess shifted awkwardly before deciding to take the lead.

 

She looked directly at me, and began, "I would like to apologize first for treating you like a child.

 

I didn't realize that you were an adult when I first saw you."

 

I shifted uncomfortably and softly replied, "It's fine. It happens all the time."

 

Hearing that, she sighed in relief.

 

Laena then chimed in, "Would it be alright if we contacted the president right now for a proper peace negotiation? I do not want to see this situation devolving into a full scale war."

 

Princess Liliana's butler placed his hand on her shoulder and whispered something into her ear.

 

She held up a finger. "Would it be alright if we discussed this real quick?"

 

Laena motioned, "Go ahead."

 

With that she raised her hand, and a rune appeared in the air.

 

A clear barrier that blocked all noise appeared around her party and they began arguing.

 

The Princess vividly gestured and stomped a couple times while firmly saying something.

 

I lost interest and snuggled closer to Zoey for warmth.

 

She began tracing circles on my back as we waited for them to come to a conclusion.

 

Suddenly the barrier dropped and Princess Liliana stated, "We are fine setting up another peace negotiation, however, after this, I would like to be able to speak with Nadia. Would that be acceptable?"

 

Taking a moment to ponder, Laena answered, "Those terms are acceptable."

 

With that, Laena pulled up her intelligent watch-

 

"How do you still have a signal!" Princess Liliana suddenly exclaimed indignantly.

 

When she noticed our shocked stares, she blushed, realizing she said that out loud.

 

Shuffling awkwardly she elaborated, "The moment we entered, we lost all communication like we were expecting from this forest, so I just wanted to know how you are still able to communicate."

 

Laena giggled, amused, and simply stated, "Guest privileges."

 

Excitement flashed rapidly on her face for a moment, but Princess Liliana managed to school her expression as she nodded, accepting the explanation matter of factly.

 

Laena then went ahead with her call, and after ringing once, a miniature leopard-kin wearing a matching themed military uniform appeared hovering in the air.

 

Spoiler

Lady Vera

[collapse]

 

I silently marveled at the technology of this world.

 

I have not even played with my intelligent watch's functions that much, and the detail of the hologram was so precise that she seemed solid.

 

I had to hold myself back from touching it to make sure it was a hologram and making a fool of myself.

 

Instead I began fidgeting with my tail as the mini Leopard Kin opened her mouth, and out came Lady Vera's voice.

 

She quietly muttered, "So they were successfully able to have a peaceful conversation."

 

Lady Vera then looked at Princess Liliana and inquired, "Are you Princess Liliana of Draxwood?"

 

Princess Liliana nodded, Lady Vera formally introduced, "I am Lady Vera, President of this continent."

 

She then bowed, which looked cute with her avatar's size. I silently gushed as she somberly stated, "I would first like to apologize about Governor Evilian.

 

I had to attend a diplomatic discussion with the other world leaders, and the reports he gave on the situation were vague, and with how distracted I was, I authorized him to hold a peace meeting that he should not have been in charge of in the first place.

 

For that, I am sorry."

 

Princess Liliana nodded, accepting the apology.

 

A moth flew by, and I became distracted.

 

For a while I watched it closely as it took off and landed on the various blades of grass and bushes.

 

Then it fluttered close by, drawn to Zoey's light orb.

 

I really wanted to chase it.

 

Judging it to be in jumping distance I tensed up and slightly shifted, testing my balance.

 

I leapt without warning, or at least I tried.

 

*Nya!*

 

Zoey reacted quickly and caught me just under the arms as I leaped, leaving me dangling in the air.

 

Zoey giggled and amusedly stated, "Woah there, just what are you trying to do?"

 

Seeing that I had attracted everyone's attention, I teleported behind Zoey.

 

Trying to get everyone to forget what just happened I extended my arm by Zoey’s side and made a shooing motion as I meekly squeaked, "Go on with your conversation, it's nothing."

 

They smiled and amusedly shook their heads.

 

Lady Vera smiled and gently invited, "I know quite well how difficult it is to not let loose while in a forest. I don't mind if you need to run around for a while while we negotiate.

 

Just stay nearby and bring either Laena or Zoey with you."

 

Excited to run around -while avoiding a boring conversation that would go above my head-, I wagged my tail and beamed, "Okay!"

 

I grabbed Zoey’s hand and she giggled while following me out of the clearing.

 

Zoey stopped, and I paused and looked back at her.

 

Tilting my head, I asked, "What is it?"

 

Zoey explained, "I left my light orb back at the clearing for the others. I need to summon another one real quick."

 

"Oh." I really needed to remember that this is a dark forest. I keep on forgetting that while I can see clearly, that is not the case for others.

 

Zoey raised her hand, and another orb appeared.

 

*pop!*

 

Zoey squeezed my hand, and whispered, "Ok, I am ready now."

 

She tilted her head, unconsciously mimicking me as she asked, "So, what would you like to do?"

 

Full of energy, I leaped multiple times, ricocheting off a few trees before landing in front of Zoey.

 

Wagging my tail I beamed, "Let's play! … Or we could explore and see what treasures we can find!"

 

Giggling Zoey ruffled the top of my head. "One moment little miss hyper. Why don't we just circle the clearing for now. That way we won't be too far if they need us."

 

Fine with that I cheered, "Ok!"

 

Zoey and I then began looping around the clearing, with me excitedly leaping off the trees while Zoey leisurely walked.

 

After a while, I finally spent all my excess energy.

 

Deciding I had enough, I leapt one last time glomping into Zoey panting heavily.

 

Zoey affectionately rubbed my back.

 

"Done?" She asked.

 

I nodded.

 

We then sat against a tree right next to each other while we waited for the meeting to finish.

 

I leaned against Zoey.

 

After a few moments of silence Zoey suddenly commented impatiently, "They are taking forever!"

 

"Yeah." I nodded.

 

She turned to me. "Do you have anything we can do?"

 

I opened a dark hole in the air.

 

Reaching in, I pulled out my brush.

 

I meekly presented it, hoping she would not notice my wagging tail. "Only one."

 

Zoey giggled and amusedly commented, "My oh my. Someone wants to be pampered."

 

I blushed, and she affectionately kissed me on the forehead.

 

While I was dazed, she took the brush from my hand and pulled my tail onto her lap.

 

Very gently, she began brushing my tail, and I melted into Zoey's side, contentedly purring.

 

I dozed against Zoey, taking in her comforting scent as she slowly stroked my tail.

 

After a while of enjoying each other's company, we suddenly heard Laena calling out, "Zoey, Nadia, we need your presence!"

 

We sighed, and Zoey reluctantly gave me back my brush to store.

 

Zoey stood up, and offered her hand to help me up.

 

With a tug I was up, but I immediately collapsed. Luckily, Zoey reacted quickly and caught me before I could tumble back to the ground.

 

Concerned Zoey held my still limp body against her. "Are you ok?"

 

Weakly I nodded. I slurred, still affected by how relaxed I was, "My legssss jus' fell asleeeeep."

 

*Nyaaaaaah.*

 

Zoey lifted me and giggled at my slurred protest.

 

I tenderly stroked her cheek and affectionately purred sloppily, "Zoeeey, Miiiiiine."

 

Zoey snickered and affectionately kissed me on the forehead.

 

I pouted, "You missed."

 

Zoey snorted, and then she endearingly pressed her lips against mine.

 

I ascended to heaven with happiness as I melted into her kiss, relishing the sensation of her love.

 

Then she separated, leaving me with a sense of loss as I needily begged, "More."

 

Zoey affectionately stroked my hair and gently whispered, "We can continue later, we are needed right now."

 

I sulked in disappointment, but nodded in understanding.

 

Zoey pecked me on the lips and then booped me on the nose. She affectionately praised, "Good girl."

 

*hehe*

 

I felt tingles down my spine as she said that and couldn't help wagging my tail.

 

Giggling, Zoey gently set me on the ground, and we headed back to the clearing.

 

Seeing Laena waving at us to come over we hurried.

 

Curious, Zoey asked, "So what is the verdict?"

 

*ahem*

 

Lady Vera coughed, drawing our attention to her adorable floating form.

 

I had to mentally berate myself, 'No touchy the cute doll, it is just an image!"

 

Lady Vera summarized, "We have proposed since there were no deaths that Princess Liliana will fund the repairs and pay compensation to the affected citizens, and that Our nation's will not go to war with each other.

 

She is willing to follow those terms, however,  she is very adamant about getting in contact with one of the deities."

 

Lady Vera sighed, and pinched her nose as she fought a headache. "I really want more information before I decide whether I will agree to that demand. I don't want to have an unfair trade where we don't even know just what we are dealing with or how it will affect us."

 

"I want to make sure I understand the situation correctly.

 

The deity somehow produces a lot of energy, which is called mana, which fuels the powers of heroes and the spells of mages, of which Zoey is the last one on this side.

 

It also allows for magical creatures and plants with wondrous properties to thrive, and in the other world, the mana is drying up, causing them to slowly dwindle.

 

However, I have seen how mana can be used to enhance technological weapons, so who knows whether the other world will rapidly develop their weapons more with access to unlimited energy, just to take over our world."

 

Princess Liliana began to protest, "Wai-" but froze as Lady Vera glared and held up a finger declaring "I'm not finished yet."

 

Princess Liliana sighed and reluctantly took a step back.

 

Lady Vera explained, "You may keep your words, but in the end, you are a representative. Will your parents truly not attack us in desperation? How can I know if they will uphold your promises if I don't even know their character?

 

And also what about the other kingdoms? Can you say with 100% certainty that they will not also attack us in desperation, or for our resources."

 

Princess Liliana meekly shuffled, but her silence was answer enough.

 

Lady Vera exclaimed, "My point exactly! This is my dilemma. We could end up in a war of attrition right now, hoping we survive, or be overwhelmingly wiped out in the future. That is why we have Zoey and Nadia! To go to the source of our conflict and see if it is possible to come up with a peaceful resolution."

 

Everyone turned their eyes to us, and I began to hyperventilate under the pressure.

 

*beep!*

 

Everyone flinched as my watch beeped and a rainbow screen appeared flashing: ONE MOMENT, I'M ON MY WAY.

 

*crack!*

 

A rainbow colored rift appeared in the air and out stepped a familiar face, sporting a mischievous smile.

 

I, however, was gaping at her new features.

 

In front of me was a beautiful fox-kin girl with long rainbow hair, which serenely blew in the air as she gracefully made her way over to me.

 

Spoiler

Iris V2

Iris V2.1

[collapse]

 

Feeling the aura coming off of her, Princess Liliana and her party blanched, and immediately kneeled.

 

Once she was in front of me she stopped.

 

I pointed at her, stumbling over my words. "Youuu- … You- …"

 

"IDIOT!!!" I bellowed.

 

Everyone looked at me in shock or fear.

 

Tears of frustration poured down my face at what Iris went through because of me, however, my heart swelled up with the love she freely gave to me, who could still be considered a stranger to her.

 

I went up to her and hugged her tightly and muttered, "You shouldn't have."

 

Ears drooping with guilt, I tearfully cried, "Just why? Why are you so nice? You barely even-"

 

Iris placed her finger on my lips, shushing me.

 

She tenderly stroked my hair as she soothed, "It's alright. This was my choice."

 

She whispered, "We are family, and I don't mind making a small sacrifice if it will help my little sis be happy. As for getting to know each other, we have plenty of time to do so."

 

She softly pleaded, "Please don’t get mad at me. I have always wanted a little sister of my own for such a long time." 

 

Tears appeared in her eyes as her melodious voice cracked, "I was elated when I finally got approval to have my own family, so when your papers arrived, I saw my chance and adopted you as my sister."

 

Her ears and tail drooped pitifully. She whimpered softly "I probably just ruined-"

 

*Yeowch!*

 

I flicked her on the forehead then wiped the tears from her face.

 

Her kindness and loving support had already weakened the barriers of my heart, and with her words, the barrier shattered, and a strong bond of sisterhood formed.

 

I gently berated, "I didn't say that I hated you, just that you shouldn't have made that kind of sacrifice."

 

To show how serious I was, I looked her in the eyes and said, "You are my big sis, so I will always love you."

 

Smirking, I added, "Even if you drive me crazy with your pranks."

 

Iris giggled, and we cried into each other's shoulders as we comforted each other in our sisterly love.

 

After our tears dried, we separated.

 

Then I blushed as I remembered that we still had an audience. "Woops."

 

Iris also blushed, but quickly recovered and sang, "Woops indeed~"

 

She giggled as she saw Princess Liliana and her party prostrating on the ground.

 

Mischievously she rubbed her hands and winked her eye at me as she amusedly  declared, "You can get up. I don't bite!"

 

I snickered at her choice of words and quickly covered my mouth.

 

She elbowed me in the ribs as she commented, "You know, I could get used to this. Now a whole realm of new jokes has opened up for me. I am definitely going to mess with people fur a while."

 

I couldn't help it, her pun was too corny.

 

*Hehehe, wahaha* "Iris!" *ahahaha*

 

I fell on the ground, laughing too hard.

 

Zoey also giggled as well while everyone else was looking around lost.

 

Their faces set me off again and I began laughing even more not knowing why I found the situation so funny.

 

My laughter set Zoey off, and she joined me on the ground laughing together.

 

Iris fondly looked at our laughing forms and pumped her fist in success as she quietly commented, "Still got it."

 

After we recomposed ourselves, Zoey and I wiped the tears from our eyes.

 

I let out a sigh finally able to breathe again.

 

Zoey and I got up and brushed the dirt off of ourselves.

 

I turned to Iris and pouted, "Seriously?"

 

She ruffled my hair, beaming, "Yep!"

 

I just shook my head.

 

Iris then suddenly became serious as she turned to Lady Vera and the others.

 

Authoritatively she stated, "Now to deal with this mess."

 

They nervously shuffled under her gaze as she serenely walked over to them.

 

I was kind of jealous of her grace and majesty.

 

Iris looked at Princess Liliana.

 

She swallowed, but she determinedly looked into Iris' eyes as she waited for a verdict.

 

Iris then respectfully nodded at her bravery.

 

She turned to both groups and declared, "I will fix the mana imbalance between both worlds, because this is partially my fault as well, however, I will remind you that I am a neutral entity, and will not interfere in your conflict."

 

She then held up a finger, and released her aura, putting pressure on everyone except Zoey and me. She growled, "I will give you one warning and you better heed it. If any of you do something to hurt my little sis, I will personally curse whoever does so, consequences be damned.

 

Do you hear me?"

 

Lady Vera and Princess Liliana rapidly shook their heads yes while I wondered how she even put pressure on Lady Vera, who was not present physically. Then shook my head as I remembered that she is a goddess.

 

Softening her face and voice, she addressed Princess Liliana.

 

As for your little sister, you can expect a visit from us in the next two weeks. I need to teach Nadia a few things, and we will pop in once we are ready."

 

Before Princess Liliana could protest, Iris soothed, "You don't have to worry about your sister dying. I checked, and she still has 3 more years before her sickness will take her.

 

As long as nothing strange happens, there is enough time to wait for us to get ready."

 

Princess Liliana sighed in relief, and reluctantly nodded in acceptance.

 

Iris then walked back to me, and put her hands on Zoey and my shoulders.

 

She then stated, "I will let you mortals finish with your peace talks."

 

She then looked at Laena.

 

She winked and said, "Text me as soon as the meeting is over, and I will bring you back to Nadia's place. My contact info should be in your intelligent watch."

 

*beep!*

 

Laena dazedly nodded as the contact was added to her list.

 

With that, Iris opened a portal, and guided us through, to my living room.

 

Zoey dazedly commented, "Well, that happened."

 

"Indeed!" Iris beamed while wagging her tail.

 

Hearing our voices, Ms. Miranda stopped stirring whatever heavenly thing she was cooking, "You are back already? Odd. I didn't hear anyone entering the door."

 

She turned around to see two drooling faces and wagging tails, and one dazed Zoey.

 

She lifted a finger, and dropped it. "Do I even want to ask?"

 

She did a quick head count, and fretted when she realized we were missing someone. "And where is Laena? Is she ok?"

 

Zoey snapped out of her daze.

 

She reassured Ms. Miranda before she could go all mama bear.

 

"Laena is still back at the clearing so that Lady Vera and Princess Liliana can finish their peace negotiation."

 

She gestured to Iris, who was mirroring me as we excitedly stared with a laser focus at the food on the stove.

 

"Nadia's sister here will bring her back once they finish. Hopefully just not right now, because as you can see … yeah."

 

Ms. Miranda nodded.

 

Clapping her hands together she cheerfully quipped, "The food is basically finished anyways. Why don't we feed these hungry foxes so that we can have a proper conversation."

 

Hearing that we could eat, both Iris and I in sync pumped our fists in the air and excitedly cheered ""Yay, dinner's done!!!""

 

Zoey and Ms. Miranda amusedly shook their heads at our antics.

 

Ms. Miranda commented, "They are definitely sisters alright."

 

Then after everyone was served, I couldn't hold back anymore and began chowing with bliss.

 

Once I finished, I closed my eyes to savor the aftertaste for a moment.

 

*awawawa!* "I am so very sorry for imposing!"

 

I flinched as Iris suddenly profusely apologized while flailing her hands.

 

Ms. Miranda giggled, then reassured, "It is no problem."

 

*uuuuuu* Embarrassed, she hid her face with her tail, and I teleported across the table to give her a hug of reassurance.

 

I whispered, "I know, I know."

 

Tears welled up in Iris' eyes and I rubbed her back as she silently cried into my shoulder.

 

Suddenly she took a deep breath and wiped the tears from her eyes.

 

She then stood up and patted me twice on the head.

 

Finding the situation ironic, she snorted and amusedly remarked with a hint of sarcasm, "You know, I was supposed to be the one comforting you, not the other way around."

 

I giggled, then returned, "That's what it means to be sisters, we are here for each other."

 

Iris then gave a big hug, before letting me go.

 

Looking me in the eyes she softly whispered, "Thanks, lil' sis."

 

I nodded.

 

Ms. Miranda gushed, "Gawl, you sisters are so sweet!"

 

*awawawa!* We both blushed and hid our faces with our tails, and Zoey giggled at our reaction.

 

I pouted at Zoey, causing her to laugh even more.

 

I glanced at Iris, and wiggled my fingers that were out of Zoey’s sight.

 

We both smiled mischievously.

 

I teleported us behind her, and we both began tickling Zoey.

 

*ahahaha* "Wait!" *tehehehe* "I give!" *hehehe* "Mercy!" *ehehehe!*

 

We continued until she was out of breath,  and nodded in satisfaction when we thought she was punished enough.

 

Once Zoey regained her composure, she pouted at us, "Meanies."

 

We snickered, and Zoey raised her hands.

 

"Allright, let's stop right here." Ms. Miranda stepped in before a war could start. "We have a few things that we need to take care of first."

 

Zoey pouted, defeated.

 

She sarcastically grumbled, "O- Kaaay." and smirked.

 

We all then made our way to the living room, where it was more comfortable.

 

I sat in between Zoey and Iris, and Ms. Miranda took the other couch.

 

Zoey then asked, "So, what would you like to know first?"

 

Ms. Miranda hummed before saying, "Why don't you tell me how the negotiation is going?"

 

Zoey looked at Iris, and simply stated, "Chaotic."

 

Concerned, Ms. Miranda placed her hands over her mouth while crying "Oh my!"

 

She tentatively asked, "What happened?"

 

Zoey proceeded to explain what happened, and Ms. Miranda did a double take when she realized that Iris is a deity.

 

She muttered, "I keep forgetting that Nadia is a deity." Then she berated herself, "How could I not have drawn the connection sooner?"

 

Iris consoled, "It is fine… Really! It is actually a breath of fresh air not to be worshiped or treated as a ticking time bomb."

 

Ms. Miranda sighed in relief.

 

Then Iris suddenly held up a finger. "One moment real quick. I need to pick up Laena."

 

We nodded and Ms. Miranda gestured for Iris to go ahead.

 

With that, Iris opened a portal and entered it, and at that moment I remembered that the princess' party was still within the forest's defenses.

 

I quickly made a mental command for the fog to guide them back out of the forest, and in the time it took me to do that, Iris had finished retrieving Laena and entered the living room again.

 

Ms. Miranda waited for Iris and Laena to get settled, then asked, "So, how did it go?"

 

Laena dazedly stated, "A force of nature caused everyone to band together."

 

Confused, I tilted my head and asked, "What do you mean?"

 

Laena elaborated, "No one wants to get on the bad side of a deity. Princess Liliana is going to go back to her world and pay the compensation agreed upon. And Lady Vera is going to sign an official peace treaty.

 

Depending on the situation, there may even be a trade agreement made later."

 

Laena shrugged. "Who knows?"

 

"Oh." was all I could comment.

 

Then I yawned, having had a very exhausting day.

 

Zoey affectionately rubbed my back.

 

"Tired?" She asked.

 

I just nodded.

 

"Nadia." Iris called to get my attention.

 

I turned to Iris and answered, "Yeah?"

 

She tapped her pointer fingers together  and tentatively asked, "You don't mind if I add my room to your house for a while?"

 

I shook my head. I softly replied, "Yeah, I don't mind."

 

Iris sighed in relief.

 

She then ruffled my hair and whispered, "Thanks."

 

She then added, "Oh, I was not joking earlier when I said that I needed to teach you some things."

 

She then looked at Zoey. "You should join as well because this does concern you as well."

 

Zoey nodded.

 

Iris yawned. "I will get to it tomorrow… For now, get some rest, because you will need it."

 

Zoey and I nodded.

 

"Goodnight." I whispered to Iris.

 

"Goodnight~" She returned.

 

We then said our farewells for the night to Ms. Miranda and Laena before snuggling up in my room.

 

Before I could drift off, Zoey suddenly asked uncertainly, "Nadia?"

 

"Yeah?" I whispered.

 

"Hypothetically, if I were to change to a fox-kin, would you like it?"

 

Hearing that, I held Zoey by the cheeks.

 

Firmly, but with affection in my voice, I said, "Zoey, I love you for who you are. No matter if you get disabled, old, or fat, that fact will never change. You do not have to change yourself for me, or feel pressured to do so. However, if you truly feel that you want to be a fox-kin, I will support you."

 

Tears welled up in Zoey's eyes, and we hugged each other.

 

Sniffing, Zoey whispered, "Thanks for listening to my little worry."

 

I softly reprimanded, "It's not a little worry."

 

I fretted "In fact, it makes me worry that I am not showing enough affection. Did I do something wrong? Or is there something I am not doing enough of? Or-"

 

Zoey stopped me by pressing her lips against mine, and all my thoughts went blank as I melted into the sensation.

 

After we pulled away, Zoey affectionately whispered, "You are doing fine. Just keep being you."

 

I dazedly nodded, "Ok."

 

I yawned. 

 

Zoey affectionately stroked my hair and whispered, "Let's get some rest, it sounds like we will be busy tomorrow."

 

I sleepily nodded.

 

I pulled Zoey in and kissed her on the forehead.

 

I endearingly whispered, "Nighty night, my Zoey"

 

Zoey fondly returned, "Nighty night, my Nadia."

 

I pressed my forehead against Zoey's and purred as I drifted off to sleep.

Should Zoey become a fox-kin at some point in this story?
  • Yes Votes: 29 31.9%
  • No Votes: 44 48.4%
  • YES ASAP!!! Votes: 18 19.8%
Total voters: 91 · This poll was closed on Apr 7, 2023 04:00 AM.
60