Learning Secrets of the Multiverse
3.8k 20 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Whew! Finals and homework are over with for now, and I can now enjoy my summer break.

Yea!!! (✿≧∇≦)🎉

Pov Nadia:

"Where, oh where can it be~"

 

Skipping along a trail through the woods, I sang, keeping an eye out for where the path splits.

 

Coming to a fork, I paused, and pulled out my map to check if this was the path I should take.

 

Nodding to myself, I took the right path, and resumed my skipping while humming a merry tune.

 

Suddenly I arrived at my destination, a black pyramid reaching up to the clouds.

 

Spoiler

Black Pyramid

[collapse]

 

I did not even bother taking in the view, for I was on a mission.

 

I skipped into the entrance, rubbing the moss covered stone bacon statues as I passed for good luck.

 

After going down a few passage ways, my foot sank into the ground.

 

*click… rumble*

 

Something rumbled in the distance.

 

Turning to the source, I saw a giant boulder rumbling down towards me, and I took a bold step forward, unafraid for my safety.

 

*boom, psssh!*

 

The boulder ran into me and smashed into thousands of pieces.

 

Looking at the rubble, I shook my head. "Sooo cliché."

 

I continued on, examining the drawings on the surprisingly clean ruin halls.

 

*whoosh, ksssshhh!*

 

Metal fragments flew past my head from behind me, and I paused, realizing that a blade just shattered on the back of my head.

 

I snickered.

 

Putting a hand on my hip, I channeled my inner arrogant adventurer voice and sarcastically remarked "You will have to do much better than that to get the best of me, for I am Nadia, Mystic Explorer of Darkness, and nothing can get between me and my treasure!!!"

 

Resuming my exploration, I blatantly triggered and ruined every trap that the poor ancients spent so much time on, not expecting some walking cheat like me to blast through like I was on an afternoon stroll.

 

Grinning evilly, I rubbed my hands, then spread them out while cackling maniacally.

 

"MUAHAHAHA!!!" *kaboom!!!*

 

Ignoring the great timing of the lightning in the background, I shook my head and refocused on exploring these ruins.

 

Coming to two giant and fancy obsidian doors, I knew that I had arrived at my destination.

 

Spoiler

Doors

[collapse]

 

I pushed open the doors and looked at the altar in the middle that had a beam of light radiating down on the treasure, making its value pop out even more.

 

Drooling and greedily rubbing my hands, I didn't 

even think twice about any possible traps and rushed straight to the prize.

 

I picked up the glorious bacon, and took a whiff of its savory meatiness.

 

I took a bite.

 

*hehehe*

 

I looked around, confused, then shrugged, trying to tear apart this surprisingly tough bacon.

 

*kehehehe*

 

Zoey? What is she doing here?

 

Suddenly my surroundings began to shake and crumble into whiteness.

 

Spoiler

Nadia, Mystic Explorer of Darkness

Nadia Explorer

Nadia Explorer V2

[collapse]

 


 

I opened my eyes to see Zoey's amused expression.

 

Noticing that I was awake, Zoey giggled. "Morning sleepyhead. Dreaming of food?"

 

Confused at what she was finding funny, I nodded with a bewildered expression.

 

Zoey snorted. In a pitying tone she exclaimed, "Poor Nyx, being used as a chew toy."

 

I looked down, and saw that I was currently chewing on Nyx's ear.

 

*ptooey*

 

Blushing, I quickly wiped the drool off my face before shielding it using Nyx's body.

 

When the teasing I was expecting did not come, I lowered Nyx a little, peeking between her ears, worried about what Zoey was plotting.

 

Zoey giggled, and gently brushed my hair out of my face.

 

After giving me a tender peck on the forehead,  her expression suddenly became somber as she asked, "Are you doing ok?"

 

The memories of yesterday slammed through my mind, causing me to wince.

 

Lips slightly trembling and rubbing my arm, I softly answered, "As much as I can be, I suppose."

 

Zoey wrapped her arms around me, holding me close to her.

 

Unbidden, tears welled up in my eyes.

 

*sniff…sniff*

 

Zoey began rubbing my back. Softly she whispered, "It's ok. You can let it out."

 

I began sobbing silently into Zoey's chest, as Zoey softly hummed a soothing melody.

 

When my tears dried up, I wiped my eyes and mumbled, "Thanks."

 

*mhm* Zoey just nodded and squeezed me reassuringly.

 

I snuggled closer to bask in Zoey's warmth, however, that was not meant to be.

 

*rrrwaaawrl*

 

We looked at my stomach.

 

*smack!*

 

I facepalmed myself.

 

Snickering, Zoey suggested, "Let's go get something to eat.

 

That was when I even thought to examine my surroundings to figure out where we were.

 

Seeing the dark walls and the fox painting behind my bed which I will definitely NOT acknowledge, I relaxed realizing that I was in my room.

 

Spoiler

For those who need a reminder.

(✿>ᆺ<)

Nadia Room

[collapse]

 

Stretching, I leapt off the bed after Zoey, and took her hand as we made our way to the kitchen for something to eat.

 

I paused hearing a crackling sound that brought with it a divine scent.

 

My tail began wagging as I bounced a couple times and excitedly giggled with glee.

 

Not giving Zoey time to react, I excitedly teleported to the counter, where Iris was already waiting, and joined her as we patiently waited for breakfast to finish, watching every movement Ms. Miranda made.

 

Finishing the current batch of bacon, Ms. Miranda scooped it on a plate and turned around to retrieve the rest to finish cooking.

 

Spotting us, she paused. With laughter escaping her lips, she observed, "It seems everyone is awake."

 

Giving a wink, she asserted, "One more moment, then breakfast will be ready."

 

Zoey hugged me from behind, drawing my attention.

 

I craned my neck to look up at her. "Hmm?"

 

Zoey smiled and caressed my cheek. "It's nothing."

 

"O-kay~" I gave a quick kiss on her chin before returning my focus back to the frying pan.

 

A couple moments later Ms. Miranda nodded to herself and thrust the spatula under the bacon and promptly scooped it onto the plate while announcing "Breakfast's ready!"

 

Overcome with giddiness, I teleported behind Zoey, jumped on her back, and cheered in joy.

 

"Yay!!!"

 

Ms. Miranda laughed as Zoey shook her head in exasperation before turning her back towards Iris who was excitedly bouncing in place. "Can you help get your sister down so we can eat?"

 

"Sure!" Iris chirped, before gently grabbing me under the armpits and lifting me up.

 

Instead of handing me back to Zoey, who was holding her arms out to take me back, Iris instead stuck her tongue out, and hugged me close like a teddy bear as she promptly started her great escapade to the table.

 

Squawking in indignation Zoey chased after us. "Hey! I just wanted you to help Nadia down, not steal her!"

 

Humming a merry tune Iris sang over her shoulder, "Too bad, so sad!~ Now I get to cuddle and pamper my cute little sis."

 

She nuzzled my neck, causing me to giggle.

 

In no time at all, we arrived at the table, and in one swift motion, Iris took a chair out and sat down, resting her chin between my ears.

 

A moment later, Zoey took the seat beside Iris, folding her arms and pouting with a hmph.

 

Seeing the amused glint in her eye, I could tell that she wasn't truly angry.

 

*clack*

 

My attention was drawn to the food as Ms. Miranda placed breakfast on the table.

 

Before I could dig in, my hand was grabbed, stopping me from reaching the delicacy right in front of me.

 

Pouting, I turned my attention to Iris who was the culprit.

 

Drooping my ears, I pitifully upturned my eyes as I mewled, "Why are you stopping me?"

 

*guh*

 

Looking guilty and unsure of herself, and with a hint of a yearning desire, Iris whispered, "You don't mind if I feed you again, right."

 

Her eyes turned distant as she muttered under her breath, "So many things that I imagined doing once I became a sister. Stupid long regulation procedures. Hopefully-"

 

Unsure why Iris suddenly seemed slightly somber and drained, I pat her head and reassured her, cheerfully chirping, "It's ok."

 

Twirling my fork, I handed it to Iris and opened my mouth while wagging my tail expectantly.

 

Giggling, Iris obliged and began feeding me.

 

I purred in bliss as I savored my meal, missing out on when Zoey and Iris agreed to take turns.

 

Once I finished, I opened my eyes to see everyone's adoring gazes.

 

*awawawa*

 

Embarrassed, I blushed and summoned Nyx to hide behind, causing everyone to giggle.

 

Curious about what the plan for the day is, I peaked my eyes between Nyx's ears and asked, "So, what are we going to do today?"

 

Iris tenderly ruffled my hair. Wrapping her arms around me, she gently began rubbing my back as she somberly asked, "How are you feeling right now? Are you doing ok?"

 

I squeezed Nyx and nodded. "As much as I can be."

 

Zoey reached out and gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

 

Trying to take my mind off that, I thought through anything I could do to not think of this subject.

 

Remembering that Iris was supposed to teach me something, I perked up and curiously tilted my head. "What were you going to teach me anyways?"

 

Iris pinched her chin and hummed for a moment, before snapping her fingers."Oh yeah! I was going to show you how to balance the mana between the worlds and control the rifts- And also how some things work in general. "

 

She mumbled for a bit and nodded to Zoey and smirked suggestively, "Also how deities come to be and how they are different from normal beings."

 

Zoey blushed for some reason, and I tilted my head, confused at her reaction. However embarrassed Zoey is really cute.

 

Iris nodded to herself. "Yeah. That should be enough for today."

 

*Nyaaaa*

 

Iris suddenly lifted me and put me in Zoey's lap. "You should go get changed into something more comfy, this conversation will take a while. I will be on the couch when you two lovebirds are ready."

 

Giving a wink she fled through a door that wasn't there in my house before, before closing it behind her.

 

*click*

 

Beet red, Zoey and I awkwardly looked at each other for a moment.

 

Shaking her head, Zoey suggested, "Why don't we get ready, so Iris doesn't find more to tease us about."

 

Rapidly nodding my head, I hopped off Zoey's lap and we rushed to get ready and came back out to the living room.

 

Seeing the set up, I froze.

 

In front of the TV, Iris had set up a giant white board, setting the mood for a school lesson.

 

In front of the whiteboard Iris was waiting wearing large old-fashioned spectacles and a fake mustache.

 

Tapping the whiteboard with a pointer thingy, Iris gruffly trumpeted, "Welcome younglings to Deities 1-O-1!!!"

 

Spoiler

span>

Teacher Iris

[collapse]

 

I couldn't hold it anymore.

 

Zoey and I began laughing and collapsed on the floor as Iris triumphantly pumped her first.

 

Taking off her disguise, Iris giggled and waited as we composed ourselves.

 

Spoiler

Iris Normal

[collapse]

 

*hah*

 

Zoey amusedly looked at me when we settled down. Then for some reason she pressed her finger against her nose to make it look like a pig's.

 

*snort*

 

It took all my willpower to hold my breath and not fall into another fit of giggles.

 

Taking a deep breath, I sighed in relief before poking Zoey in the side.

 

I pouted. "Not funny."

 

Giggling Zoey poked me back while retorting, "Oh, I thought it was very funny."

 

I poked her again, causing her to giggle.

 

"Done flirting you two?"

 

Hearing Iris' amused voice, we rapidly composed ourselves and got up off the ground.

 

Red faced, we made our way to the couch and sat down beside each other.

 

Giggling, Iris clapped her hands. "Ok, now to begin."

 

I shifted to a more comfortable position and snuggled against Zoey as Iris started her lesson.

 

"Soooo, where should I begiiiin." Iris hit her hand with a fist. "Let's begin there!"

 

Looking at me, Iris asked, "Can you access the v.o.w. real quick."

 

I nodded and closed my eyes to feel for the soul link to the v.o.w.

 

Finding it, I thought about accessing it, and a screen appeared before my eyes, Flashing VOICE OF THE WORLD before quickly changing to a menu screen. 

 

Seeing that Iris clapped her hands and cheered, "That's the spirit little sis!"

 

Confused, Zoey stated, "I don't see anything."

 

"Woops!" Iris summoned up her own screen which rapidly flashed through some pages, letting me know that it is possible to control the v.o.w. by will alone.

 

"There."

 

Zoey blinked as she saw the screen in front of me.

 

Giving us a serious look, Iris stated, "Now, technically mortals are not supposed to see the v.o.w., but you two are close enough that I am sure it will be fine."

 

Giving a smug smirk, Iris added, "It also helps that I am both an upper administrator and moderator. Not many can say that."

 

Beating me to the punch, Zoey asked "What do rainbows have to do with moderating a system?"

 

Zoey blushed, realizing that she said that out loud.

 

Taking that in stride, Iris answered, "Wellll, it didn't start out that way. Many, many eons ago -even before I existed- technology was a separate divinity from rainbows. Then the first computers developed, and started using multi-colored lights.

 

It caused a little chaos and distrust at first, when many rainbow deities worried about how they suddenly became tech savvy, and an investigation was called to make sure foul play or something more notorious was not involved.

 

In the end, the source was discovered, and after the distrust between deities was pacified, someone had an amazing idea. 

 

They called together the best of the best, and began a massive project to form the first system, to seek out and help new deities and connect everyone in a vast network with the intent to help them, even with things outside of their divinity. That is how the v.o.w. first came to be."

 

Snapping her fingers Iris exclaimed, "Speaking of doing things out of your divinity…" She trailed off her sentence and hopped on the couch next to me.

 

Pointing to my screen, she scrolled through the list until she paused at the option labeled Worlds Under Jurisdiction.

 

When she tapped that option my tail floofed up in shock realizing that there were two worlds already listed under my control.

 

Seeing how pale I was, Iris quickly hugged me before I could hyperventilate.  She soothed, "Don't worry, I am here. You don't have to worry about doing anything wrong."

 

Taking a deep breath I shakily nodded. Zoey squeezed my shoulder. "I have faith in you and I am right here beside you, my love."

 

She kissed me on the forehead.

 

Swooning from my love's affection, my confidence suddenly rose to unimaginable levels. I felt like I could take on the world.

 

Shaking my head internally I changed my mind- No, I felt like I could become the master of the universe!

 

That didn't sound quite right either-

No, I felt like I could become master of the multiverse!!!

 

MUAHAHAHA!!!

 

*BOOM!*

 

I flinched as a distant lightning strike brought me back to reality.

 

I hugged Iris and nuzzled Zoey on her neck, causing a giggle to escape her lips.

 

"Thanks." I whispered.

 

Zoey and Iris answered at the same time. ""Anything for you lil sis/my love""

 

*hehe* I snickered, and closed my eyes as I took one more moment to bask in their warmth.

 

Taking a deep breath, I whispered confidently, "Ok, I am ready to continue."

 

Iris affectionately patted my head before reaching out to my screen, drawing my attention to it.

 

"So as you can see, you have two worlds under your jurisdiction. All deities must have one world under them and some choose to share, whether they ascended from the same world or married- which we will get to later. For now, I want to show you how to balance the mana produced by you between the worlds."

 

With my attention drawn to the names of the worlds, I couldn't help glaring at Iris. This was definitely not a coincidence.

 

Earth 696969

Xauria 69

 

Seeing my expression, Iris began laughing. "Took you long enough to notice! It was so hard keeping a straight face!!"

 

*gaiee!!!*

 

Annoyed, I suddenly poked her in the side, causing her to yelp in shock.

 

Zoey snickered. "You definitely had that one coming."

 

Undeterred, Iris proudly puffed up her chest. "My naming sense is the greatest!!!"

 

Placing a hand on her hip, she added, "You try coming up with a random unused label to stick after the world's native name. It gets quite difficult with how vast the multiverse is."

 

She then shook her head. "Anyways, we are getting sidetracked."

 

Iris then proceeded to show me how to control the balance of mana and make it so no wild rifts will develop. That way both worlds still have the freedom of choice whether they will develop together or to isolate from each other.

 

Worried, I fretted "What about war? Wouldn't they just find some reasons to fight each other?"

 

Iris rubbed my shoulder reassuringly. "Normally, when you first connect worlds, that will be the usual reaction, and it already did happen. These worlds have been in a series of conflicts or secret conflicts for the past 400 years, and everyone now is tired and just want it all to end. Now that the source of the trouble is fixed, peace should be resolved fairly quickly, however they choose to do so."

 

I nodded, taking her word that things will work out.

 

Iris then showed me the functions of how the worlds were controlled, and a burden was lifted off my shoulders seeing how hands off everything was. The v.o.w. was truly a lifesaver, automating everything.

 

If I ever did meet the creators of the v.o.w., I would overwhelm them with my gratitude. They really did put a lot of thought into helping deities oversee their worlds.

 

I then focused on an option that drew my attention since I first brought up the v.o.w.:

 

The Forum

 

I was tempted to check it out, fantasizing on what deities could possibly talk about. However, Iris pulled my attention away from that option by poking me on the forehead.

 

"Are you paying attention?"

 

I blushed and sheepishly shook my head no.

 

Iris giggled, seeing where my attention was drawn. Ruffling my hair, she stated, "You can check that out much later, however, this is really important, so I need your attention right now."

 

Closing out of the v.o.w., since it technically was not needed anymore, I looked into Iris' eyes and gave a respectful nod to let her know that I was listening.

 

"So as I was saying, since you are now a deity, it is important that you know what that entails in regards to how your body and powers function, as well as how you are different from normal beings of the universe."

 

Iris then got up and drew two stick figures on the board, labeling the left one as mortal, and the one on the right as ascended.

 

She then asked me, "Now, what do you think the difference between a mortal and an ascended are?"

 

Zoey raised her hand.

 

Iris pointed at her theatrically, "Yes!! Zoey."

 

I giggled.

 

Zoey shook her head, then replied, "Besides being more powerful and producing mana -and their very long lives-, I don't really have a clue what else there can be."

 

I nodded, also in the dark about the difference.

 

Doing a drumroll, Iris dramatically announced, "Wellll, they arrrrrre…"

 

After drawing out her sentence for suspense, she revealed, "ASCENDED!!!"

 

We deadpanned, causing Iris to giggle.

 

She waved her hand. "No really, that really is the difference. We all have started out as mortals, so we are actually very similar, socially, emotionally- and yes," she pouted as she grumpily spat out, "politically."

 

"Luckily the politics are relatively simple and mostly in place to make us accountable for our actions, otherwise we would have much, much more cases like yours..."

 

Before I could react, Iris waved her hands and quickly changed the topic. "Anyways, that is not what I wanted to focus on right now. What I wanted to focus on are the physical differences."

 

*hmmmm*

 

She pinched her chin, trying to find a good way to explain it to us.

 

"Honesty, there is no difference when it comes to how our bodies function. As you have noticed, we still eat and sleep, however when it comes to magic and mana, that is where the difference lies."

 

Iris then wrote our names underneath, with Zoey under the mortal, and mine under the ascended.

 

"Now when it comes to magic, mortals will draw in the surrounding mana, which they can use for spells.

 

When it comes to spells, mortals then have to follow the laws of nature when they cast, so you won't see anyone healing with fire, unless they are one of the ascended.

 

The reason for that is because authorities are higher than the laws of nature, and thus the ascended are instead commanding nature to follow their will using their authority as a medium, so even if they know nothing about how bodies work, they can have nature aid them in healing."

 

*hmph* "They don't have to study… How lucky."

 

I was hit with guilt as Zoey pouted, and unsure how to reassure her, my ears folded back and I shuffled my feet as I anxiously debated whether hugging her would end up making her feel worse.

 

Taking the decision out of my hands, Zoey pulled me onto her lap and poked my forehead. "It was just a joke. No need to take it so seriously."

 

Bringing our attention back to her, Iris drawled, "Is that sooo?" Raising an eyebrow suggestively she added, "I seem to remember that you are one conversation away from doing the same yourself."

 

Zoey shifted uncomfortably and blushed as she turned her head away from my curious stare.

 

Not understanding the reason that becoming a goddess would embarrass Zoey, I tilted my head. "What do you mean?"

 

Iris opened her mouth to answer, but was quickly cut off.

 

Frantically Zoey blurted, "Don't say anything!"

 

Seeing my incredulous stare, Zoey took a deep breath to compose herself. Tightening her hold on me she mumbled, "I mean, I want to talk about it myself."

 

Iris nodded. "Understandable."

 

I stared at Zoey, waiting for her to explain.

 

Zoey caressed my cheek, and the tone of her voice softened as she uncomfortably asked, "Would it be fine if we talked about this tonight? I already know what I want, but I want to set the mood up for this, if you know what I mean."

 

Not quite understanding what was going on, but knowing that this was important to Zoey, I nodded. *Nnn*

 

Excited, Iris' tail wagged as she exclaimed,  "Oooo! You are planning to do it that way! Just let me know if you need any help."

 

Zoey nodded. "That would be much appreciated. I'll tell you the details after this. Can't have the surprise ruined."

 

Unable to calm down, Iris did a little dance and squealed in delight. Giving a thumbs up, she beamed, "I am rooting for ya!"

 

I tilted my head, already lost at what was going on, and whether this was something serious or not.

 

Giggling, Zoey kissed me on the forehead. "Just relax, everything will be revealed tonight."

 

I slowly nodded, taking her word for it.

 

Zoey then addressed Iris. "Let's finish this. There is now so much that we have to do."

 

Giving two thumbs up, Iris affirmed, "Will do!"

 

Going back to the whiteboard Iris mumbled, "Where was I…"

 

Jogging my memory, I meekly reminded, "Something about authorities being higher than the laws of nature."

 

Iris hit her hand. "Aha! That's right."

 

Clearing her throat, Iris resumed her lesson. "So as I was saying, the ascended don't need to know the laws of nature in order to impose their will."

 

Iris then drew a chart as she rushed through the rest of her lesson. "Long story short, all you have to remember is that mortals use mana as power to reproduce phenomena from the laws of nature while the ascended use their authority to overwhelm the laws of nature to bring about whatever they will.

 

Mortals' bodies produce mana from food based on how they stretch out their mana pools, which they can refill quickly or expand by drawing in the mana from their surroundings. 

 

Deities break down food into the purer form of their authority, which when it fills their vessel breaks down into the mana they release into their surroundings."

 

Giving Iris an incredulous stare, I asked, "So let me get this straight… The difference between mortals and the ascended is how their bodies break up food?"

 

Iris gave a thumbs up. "That's right!"

 

Before I could be dissatisfied with how… mundane the answer was Iris quipped, "Haven't you been paying attention in science. In atoms there is actually a ton of energy, and our bodies can break those down into its purest form. Just don't ask me how it works because I don't practice biology. That would be a question to ask one of the Medical Deities."

 

Iris lifted a finger in warning. "If you do ask though, be prepared for a massive headache. Even I had a hard time just listening to them trying to explain it."

 

Hearing her warning, I just gave up on trying to wrap my head around how my body now worked, and just appreciated the fact that I even got a chance at a second life.

 

I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. "Anything else?" I asked.

 

Shaking her head, Iris answered, "No-pe!" 

 

Then she excitedly bounced in place as she came over to pester Zoey. "So?"

 

Shaking her head in amusement, Zoey turned her head to the corner of the room. "Hey Ms. Miranda, can you distract Nadia for a few moments? I need to discuss something with Iris for a bit."

 

Catching on quickly, Ms. Miranda excitedly gasped. "Oh!"

 

Giggling, Ms. Miranda nodded her head towards the front door and motioned for me to follow her outside.

 

Reluctantly, I hopped off Zoey's lap and followed her out the front door.

 

Before we passed the threshold, Zoey called out, "We will let you know when we are ready!"

 

"Got it." Ms. Miranda affirmed.

 

As soon as she closed it behind us, I fretted, "I am not in trouble, am I?"

 

Seeing my worried look, Ms. Miranda gave me a tight hug.

 

Rubbing my back, she whispered, "No, there is nothing for you to be worried about."

 

I sighed in relief, as I pondered what could possibly get Iris hyper, and Zoey solemn and serious.

 

I sat down with Ms. Miranda on the front step as thousands of possibilities rushed through my mind.

 

Already overwhelmed with what I learned on top of this chaos, I gave up.

 

Resting my head on Ms. Miranda’s shoulder, I decided to take a short nap as Zoey finished her discussion.

Sorry about leaving you on this big cliffhanger, but I needed to get something out to y'all. Sorry again for the long wait. Hope you enjoyed!

(✿≧ᆺ≦)

38