B1 – Chapter 1: Leaving Home
2.1k 7 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ezekiel woke up slowly. His eyes fluttered open as the morning sun filtered through the cracks in his bedroom window. He lay there for a moment, letting his thoughts drift aimlessly. And then it hit him – today was the day.

With a sudden burst of energy, he wiped the sleep from his eyes and shook his head to gain some clarity. He looked around the room as he waited for his mind to wake completely.

The skylight of his cramped, attic bedroom was welcoming the first rays of sunlight. Through the same opening, a chilly morning breeze had also snuck in. The wooden window frame had no glass to keep the cold out. On the days when it didn't rain or snow, he would drape a simple cloth over the opening.

He sat up, the makeshift wooden frame creaking under the movement. His bed consisted of a straw-filled sheet, covered with a slightly less coarse blanket. He had heard, that nobles used sheets made from silk. One drunk traveler had even claimed the emperor slept on a pillow made from phoenix feathers. This current arrangement was the best he could do for now, but that might all change very soon.

His heart started to race with excitement and nerves. He had always hoped to be different, had always hoped to have a special gift. And today, he would finally know for certain. He took a moment to collect himself. Being too excited would only lead to him forgetting something.

Sitting on the edge of his bed, Zeke’s thoughts drifted back to a memory from years ago. He remembered the day he had met the wandering Mage, a man with piercing blue eyes and a kind smile. The man had claimed that he could feel very potent magic emanating from him. He was certain that Zeke had the makings of a Mage as well.

As a nine-year-old boy, he had been thrilled by the man's prediction. It solidified his belief that he had the potential to become someone exceptional. His parents had been skeptical, unwilling to put much stock in the words of a stranger. Everybody knew that children only manifested their core after turning fourteen years old. They had encouraged him to focus on learning a trade—something more in line with the reality of their station.

But Zeke had never been content with being mundane. He had realized early that his potential would be limited if he remained in the small village he had been born in. The thought of being trapped here, never having the opportunity to see the world and all its wonders, was suffocating. He yearned for adventure, to be a hero, an explorer, a monster slayer — anything that would allow him to surpass his predetermined fate and become something greater.

He swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood. It was time for his morning ritual. He stretched, working the kinks from last night out of his sore back. After he was done limbering up, he pulled a pile of clothes from his dresser. He had chosen them carefully the night before. It was the one among his three sets of clothing that looked the most presentable.

He dressed quickly, then slipped on his pair of leather boots and grabbed his bag, stuffing a few essentials inside. He walked up to the mirror hung on the inside of his door and examined his appearance.

His hair was a mess, sticking up at all angles. He tried to smooth it down, but it was no use. His vibrant crimson locks were a source of both pride and worry for him. Haircolor was often linked to magic affinity. This wasn't always the case. People with black hair didn't necessarily have a Darkness affinity. Just like people with brown hair didn't always have an Earth affinity.

However, Zeke felt sure that, for him, the saying held true. His hair was too different from his father's black or his mother's blonde hair. In cases like his, the link to an affinity was practically inevitable, and he couldn't help but speculate on what his deep shade of red signified.

Over the past years, he had come to the conclusion that he had a Fire affinity, the most destructive and strongest of all elements. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, gathering his resolve. When he opened them again, he saw an entirely new conviction in his own gaze. There was now a burning intensity in the golden orbs looking back at him. He smiled at his reflection, excitement washing over him. He exited his room and made his way downstairs.

Halfway down the stairway, he began to hear voices coming from the kitchen. His parents must already be awake. As he came closer to the door, their voices were becoming more distinct.

“…you know as well as I do what the chances are, Geralt.”

“Of course I know, but what do you expect me to do about it? This is his dream, after all.”

“I don’t know. I had hoped… I just don’t want him to go through this…”

Zeke felt bad eavesdropping and decided to make as much noise as possible with his steps, warning them of his approach. The voices immediately fell silent.

As he entered the room, his parents were already waiting for him. His mother's face was etched with worry, while his father's was set in a firm, determined expression.

"Mom, Dad, I know this is not what you want for me, but I need to try," he said. "If I can't make it, I’ll learn a trade, just like you always wanted. But I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't even give it a shot."

His mother's face was scrunched up and her voice was laced with reluctance. “Are you sure about this? The capital is far away, and I don't want anything to happen to you."

Zeke gazed into her eyes, searching for the right words to express the emotions swirling within him. The thought of spending the rest of his days trapped in this small village was smothering. His throat tightened whenever he imagined going through the same mundane routine day after day.

But as he struggled to find the words to convey his feelings, he realized the futility of his efforts. His mother was content with life in this village. She had her work, her family, and her seat on the council. That was all she wanted — all she needed to be happy. She would not understand the longing that consumed him. He forced a smile and spoke the words he thought she wanted to hear instead.

"Don’t worry, mom. The journey might be long on foot, but it's only a couple of hours in the carriage. If I’m found to have no talent, I’ll most likely already be home by the time you wake tomorrow."

Despite his assurances, her frown didn’t diminish. “I just don’t understand why you are so obsessed with this, Zeke. You know how slim the chances are…”

…how slim the chances are for someone like me, he thought morosely. Even though his mother had not outright said it, it was clear what she meant. Being a Mage was not a path open to most commoners like them. “Even if I’m found to have no talent, I won’t be worse off than now. Just like Dad always says: You don’t know until you try, right?”

His father chuckled. There was a proud glint dancing in his dark eyes as he looked at Zeke. However, he was quickly silenced by a glare from his wife. “No worse off, you say? Then what about Kevin? The boy hasn’t been the same after returning last year. And what about Sandro? Monika? I hardly recognized them anymore!”

“…It won’t be like that with me” But even to his own ears, the promise rang hollow. Those three had been a lot like him. They had been confident in their chances as well. They had thought themselves to be chosen for greatness… It was not how it had turned out, however. Ever since their return, they had become shadows of their former selves. As if the will to live had been sucked out of them.

“And those three got off easy,” his mother continued. Now that she had started to vent, there was no stopping her. “What about the others? Those poor kids who dropped out during their first year? Where are they now?”

Zeke didn’t respond. He knew his mother well enough to know that she wasn’t looking for any input. As expected, she continued right away. “And don’t even get me started on the ‘lucky ones’. The ones who got adopted by a noble family. When was the last time you heard from any of them? It’s all a trap, Zeke, a vicious trap.”

He would be lying if he said he was unaffected by her words. But he couldn't let fear and uncertainty hold him back. He had to take this chance, even if it meant being separated from his family in the short term. He had long since sworn to himself that he would not break off contact with his real family, no matter what price he would have to pay.

“Mom… I’m still going to try.”

His mother sighed. All the fight left her as she realized that she couldn't change her son's mind. He was determined to leave and seek his destiny, no matter how much it pained her to let him go. She stepped closer and wrapped him in a long embrace, tears glistening at the corners of her eyes.

"I hope the world you find out there is as magical as you dream it to be,” she said in a soft whisper.

Zeke felt a weight settle on his chest. At this moment, she sounded a bit like the ancient seer who occasionally visited the village. A woman who had seen and experienced all the world had to offer. But as the embrace ended, his mother was once again the same woman he had always known. Unshed tears still moistened her kind blue eyes, as she playfully shoved his father and urged him to say something as well.

His father had remained silent during the conversation, his face impassive. But when Zeke turned to him, he saw nothing but pride in his father's eyes.

"Good luck, Zeke," he said in a gruff voice. "And don't let anybody make you feel like less of a person because of where you come from! Those cretins in the capital have ways to make you doubt yourself. Don’t forget who you are."

"I'll remember," he stated, getting a satisfied nod from his father. It couldn’t be easy for him to let his only son go. But different from his mother, his father understood the importance of this journey. He took a deep breath and smiled at his parents one last time. Then he turned and walked out the door, his heart full of hope for the future.

He stepped outside, his bag slung over his shoulder and a sense of determination in his heart. But before he managed to close the door behind him, he heard his mother's voice call after him. "Wait!"

She hurried over and pulled him into a tight embrace. "Be careful, my love," was all she said, her voice thick with emotion.

Ezekiel hugged her back, the familiar embrace making him feel as warm and protected as it always had. He understood that she was worried about him, and he couldn't blame her. They had no idea for how long their family would be separated, and anything could happen in the meantime. But he still had to go, had to take this chance to prove himself. Reluctantly, he pulled away and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Who knows? I might be back by tomorrow. Then we'll all feel stupid for making such a big deal out of this entire thing," he teased, trying to inject a bit of levity into the somber atmosphere.

And with those last words, he turned and left.

48