Eden 09-10
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 09: Unexpected Guest

 

Jones awoke earlier then normal and went to the cafe just under the OverWatch Command center. He started running a few laps on the running track. On his way back to his room he noticed there were entertainment rooms and even a holographic room for training with hand to hand weapons. Making a mental note to check them out later he started the long walk back to his apartment.

 

When Jones entered his apartment something felt off. It was far darker then it should have been and one look out the windows revealed the answer.

 

Nightmare was there curled up on the wide half-moon balcony like the world's largest pet.

Jones barely had enough room to walk out to greet his Leather-Wing.

 

“Miss me, girl? ” Jones said rubbing the side of her neck.

 

Jones looked at the other balconies. Not far away a dog was barking furiously at them. Above the dog's balcony. Something like a small jungle cat just looked over at them with watchful eyes.

 
 

“I be back. ” Jones said with a chuckle enjoying his own private joke of a movie reference with his Leather-Wing.

 

Jones showered and dressed in his flight suit in record time. It was still early, but he noticed lately he needed less sleep these days. Something in the regeneration treatment gave him more energy which led to him being more active in life.

 

Nightmare managed to poke her head inside, but the door frame held for now.

Remembering how she knocked down a steel door Jones wisely decided to signal for her to back up.

 

By now some of his neighbors were out and gawking at the site of a Leather-Wing.

 

“Good thing, we don't have an H.O.A. here. I'm sure they would have a rule about pet Leather-Wings somewhere. ” Jones whispered to Nightmare as he climbed on.

 

Nightmare did a short hop off the railing and together they fell until she spread her wings wide and an updraft had them sailing out.

 

Without being told Nightmare banked and flew up then curved back to the Leather-Wing Bay.

 

Madam Grace looked surprised to see him fly in and then looked at his Leather-Wing with a slight shake of her head. If to say there is always one trouble maker in the bunch.

 

Jones shrugged and unhooked himself from the basic harness Leather-Wings wore nearly all the time.

 

He found a sleepy Crystal next to the feeding trough that was full of food.

 

Jones dismissed her to her classes and hopefully, she would get more rest at her desk before the teacher walked in.

 

He had plenty of time to get Nightmare settled and ready. Checking his flight helmet he saw this week was mostly Ripper culling and looking after Silk collectors.

 

Working with the Wall Guard. A truck with a few pigs aboard would be driven out. Once the pigs were released. They would make a wild dash for the safety of the wall. The tall flightless bird-like Rippers would be lured out and make an attempt for the fast food.

 

Jones's group was assigned to fly overhead and relay their video feedback.

The whole operation was a multipurpose mission. Gathering meat, possible rescue if needed, and thinning out the pack of Rippers that seemed to hang out near Alpha City for a chance at fresh human meat.

 

It wasn't until Jones's team was there and he met 'the kid' as he mentally called him in his head before Mike Colate left for Leather-Wing classes.

 

Jones gave the normal speech about staying alert and making sure to keep an eye on the armored truck.

 

For once their job almost went to plan and everything became a normal patrol routine.

Over the following weeks, Jones worked with his team and encouraged them to show up early. This allowed the new guy Mike Colate to get some flying time in. He left his job as a runner. A position that was more tradition if anything, but still in use when an item needed to be taken somewhere or an urgent message was to be personally delivered.

 

Being a rider meant higher pay and more adventure. Something a young man rarely passed up.

 

More then once Jones called him Kid and the name stuck after a while. Before long, he was made officially a rider. His cousin Chuck a boy only a bit younger than himself was made his ward. Chuck had no dreams of becoming a rider himself but loved looking after Leather-Wings in general. His plan was to become a vet on the rare times one would be needed.

 

The rainy season hit and Jones learned a whole new definition of being soaked. The clouds drizzled at first and pretty soon sheets of pouring rain came down in the following months. The suits helped, but even that didn't last long once the rain really came down.

 

All long-distance flights were postponed and they were stuck with short patrols only. Often they fly back to the flight bay just to dry off. The only good thing about the hard rain that Jones could see was the Rippers didn't hunt humans in it. Jones also learned that Silk-Weavers already stocked up on food and sealed their holes only allowing for a bit of air to get in.

 

Jones learned that there was a layer of Alpha City only the sewer workers ever saw fully. The task was fetching needed parts to repair pumps to certain locations quickly. Jones was invited down into one of the three sub levels. The rest of his team were off running parts needed elsewhere.

 

The first sub-level was cleaner and unlike anything, he was expecting. The ceiling had power cables hanging from it. Several types of bioluminescent algae, mushrooms, and plankton thrived in the underground channels.

 

Every tunnel glowed in combinations of blue, yellow, and green. It was an eerie sight to see to say the least. Jones watched as the sewer work crew fixed a water pump that no longer pumped water up to a water treatment station. Above that pipe was a large opened pipe that led out over the ocean in case of an overflow. Jones listened to the foreman as he lectured about the inner workings.

 

“If the entire dozen pumps failed. We need scuba gear within hours. There are plenty of ways out if the tunnels ever did get that high. I'm happy to say thanks to the design of the city's waterways. The city itself will never flood even if all the pumps stopped working. Most people find all the glowing plants a bit creepy. These plants were genetically enhanced to clean the water and glow a lot brighter then normal. There was talk about doing the same for some of the trees for more light. ” A boss foreman explained to Jones as he watched his crew fix the broken pump ensuring everything went smoothly.

 

“The only real danger are the Snappers on the lower levels below us. Sometimes Eden's version of a snapping turtle gets in here when they are little things and can't leave once they get bigger. Mean bastards, if your unlucky to meet one. Had one Snapper take a man's hand clean off and it took days for him to grow it back. Took half of dozen of us to capture the Snapper and load it onto a truck. ”The boss foreman said next and Jones nodded trying to picture the size of such a turtle.

 

Jones excused himself to walk back up the narrow stairs and pass through a steel door attached to a small building named Pump House Four.

 

Nightmare was taking shelter from the cold rain under a tall apple tree and biting off the apples growing from the lower branches.

 

Jones checked the connecting harness rings where the reins hooked in on each side of Nightmare's neck making sure all the rainwater didn't weaken the leather.

Jones was airborne soon after and getting wet as usual. His flight suit increasing the temperature slightly to help maintain his body heat.

 

Thankfully for Jones, it was his lunch hour. He sent a message through his flight helmet he was taking his lunch in the OverWatch Cafeteria.

 

Nightmare landed on the landing pad and Jones gave her hand signal to fly home. She took off seconds later and Jones started toward the main building holding on to the rails of the walkway the entire time.

 

As he walked through the cafe area a round-shaped little Rumba like robot with flashing lights followed him cleaning up the water he was leaving behind as he walked. Jones got his food and left his new robot companion behind at the stairs leading up to the reading area on the second floor.

 

Taking a quarter of an hour to eat and rest of the time to relax while he browsed over what was being displayed on the news feed. Social media thrived on Eden and information could be shared instantly. Jones liked this area of the cafe. It was a place where a person could get away from people, yet still, be in the center of a crowd.

 

Below he heard conversations of maybe a hundred people or so. Nobody sounded overworked or stressed out. As Jones left the cafe area he saw some were casually working as they ate. Some wearing air support crew jumpsuits were in deep discussions on how to fix something. Staff members from the command area talking to co-workers.

Using his helmet interface he signaled to the Leather-Wing Bay area that he was ready for his Leather-Wing to be sent to him.

 

Less then two minutes later Jones watched as Nightmare flew toward him the rain becoming a drizzle now.

 

The rest of the day was spent running parts or materials on short trips. Using aircrafts was deemed as a waste of resources for short trips as they were now needed for long deliveries. Jones was glad he wasn't making the long trips over the southern mainland or over the choppy sea to the various islands. One very sleek looking aircraft did catch his eye as it flew by him that day.

 

It was a sweet little deal with adjustable rotor rings built into the wings and looked extremely aerodynamic almost like a hawk diving down in design. The oval shape flight bridge was done with black mirror glass so no one could see inside. Given the size, he guessed it could hold a few people at the most. It was either someone's personal aircraft or a very small cargo craft hired to make long trips over land or sea.

 

Jones met up with the rest of his team at the end of the day and everyone performed so well they had time to spare.

 

Jones was looking forward to the three day weekend ahead of him. Even the weather was letting up a bit as the current storm clouds appeared to be moving away. They would get a short break from the rain that would last for a day or two.

 

Jones was dreaming about flying his own aircraft when a tearing noise awoke him from his dream.

 

Grabbing his gun and only half-dressed from the waist down Jones made his way out to the living room to find Nightmare on his balcony. The Leather-Wing had pushed his outer door opened by ripping it from the frame. The glass scratched, but not broken. Since it was locked most of the time. Thankfully, it wasn't raining at the moment.

A simple rider's harness was lying on the floor just inside his apartment no doubt carried there by Nightmare herself in her mouth. The oddest part was she was making distress like noise if something was very wrong.

 

“Trouble, girl? ” Jones said figuring out she brought him the harness for a reason. Jones set his gun down to get into the harness. He ran back to the bedroom to snatch up his flight helmet then rattled off a message to Madam Grace. He wasn't sure if she would get it right away or in the morning.

 

Jones knew something must be wrong if Nightmare was acting like this. He barely clipped himself in when Nightmare took off without his permission.

 

Instead of flying out, she climbed upward to scale the mountainside toward the open bay area above them. Jones was glad it was the middle of the night and hope no one was a night owl who liked to hang out on the balcony. A fine sight he would make for the next viral video.

As they came over the ledge. Something had nearly all of the Leather-Wings stirred up and that person was surrounded in a loose ring of Leather-Wings. Jones saw someone holding an even smaller figure in front if using that person as a hostage.

 

'What kind of idiot messes with Leather-Wings in the middle of the night then takes a child hostage?' Jones thought in wonder as Nightmare came into the bay. Now he could hear shouting.

 

“Get back you ugly bastards.” a man was shouting and Jones saw that it was Crystal being held if she was being used as a human shield. Her left eye on her face looked swollen and bruised if she was recovering from a very recent black eye.

Jones unclasped himself from the rigging and slid off of Nightmare. Jones knew he had gone unnoticed and made his way past the very angry Leather-Wings. The creatures even parting a little to let him pass.

 

He had his gun ready and pointing at the man.

 

“Let the girl go now and you get to walk away without a hole in your head. ” Jones said loudly and with more tone of authority then he felt like seeing his ward being used as a human shield.

 

“Uncle, you're just upsetting them. ” Crystal said trying to struggle free.

 

Crystal's words and the man's pointing weapon made Jones pause in his actions. Jones saw he wore an OverWatch Guard's uniform and was carrying a sling bag over one shoulder. What looked like a 9mm pistol was in one hand and he was waving it about at the various Leather-wings. If this man was truly Crystal's Uncle he didn't want to kill him in front of her.

The guard's little pop gun wouldn't do anything, but piss off the Leather-Wings.

 

“Tell these monsters to back off. ” Crystal's uncle said moving his gun from side to side trying to get a good aim on each Leather-Wing as they closed the ring around him.

 

“Calm down. You shoot one of them and the rest will attack. They are just trying to protect Crystal. ” Jones said with a stern tone yet loudly even among all the growling Leather-Wings

The decision was taken out of his hands when the man jerked and reached over his shoulder. A bright red dart was in his free hand then he fell sideways. His gun hand falling downward and thankfully the gun fell to the floor not going off.

 

Madam Grace dressed in a long flannel nightgown was there holding a dart gun. Wasting no time she walked up to the down man taking his gun then his bag. She deposited both guns in the bag.

 

Jones lowered his gun and took off his flight helmet one-handed as he approached.

The bag was nearly full of drugs they kept on hand for calming or putting Leather-Wings into a deep temporary sleep.

 

“He was looking for a quick high. Combine these with Silk-Weaver poison and you can get high as a kite for a while. I have been watching the cameras for the thief when I realize our supply came up short during the last random inventory check. I got your message on the way here. ” Madam Grace said jerking a thumb up over a spot above her office.

Jones saw a fairly new fisheye camera that looked wireless.

 

Crystal was sobbing now. Madam Grace gently cupped the girl's chin seeing the fading bruise and slight damage to her eye. In an hour the damage would be healed up.

 

“I'm sorr....I'm Sorry. Madam Grace. ” Crystal said lowering her head in shame.

 

“Shh, You did nothing wrong, dear. I saw it all. No adult should ever hit a child so hard. Your step Uncle will be going away and you will come stay with me. ” Madam Grace said hugging Crystal.

 

This open affection seemed to surprise Crystal. Outwardly, Madam Grace always put on a tough no non-sense attitude.

 

“Go wait in my office and calm yourself, girl. ” Madam Grace said and watched as Crystal did so.

 

Madam Grace spent the next few minutes ordering through shouts, hand signals and whistles at the Leather-Wings to go out flying or for them to return to their alcove stalls.

 

A group of guards came in with weapons at the low ready position and Jones made sure his own weapon wasn't pointed at their fellow co-worker on the floor. Madam Grace waited next to Jones and already pulled out a smartphone.

 

One man with no weapon in his hand and air of authority came strolling in next.

 

Jones watched as Madam Grace greeted him and started a video file on her phone. All three of them watched. Crystal's step-uncle could be seen forcing young Crystal along in the hallway just outside this very room. Then the angle changed as they entered the flight bay area.

 

There was no sound in the video, but it was clear that Crystal was ordered by her step Uncle to stand between him and the Leather-Wings as he took a bit from each medical box affixed to the walls between the stalls.

 

Trouble started when he came to Nightmare's stall. Somehow his Leather-Wing knew something was wrong. Nightmare appeared to give out some verbal call to the others and the Leather-Wings came out in force. It was here that Crystal's step-uncle struck her then picked her up to use as a human shield.

 

When Crystal was taken hostage Jones watch Nightmare turned toward the open bay doorway with a simple rider's harness in her mouth and took off flying no doubt to get him.

 

“Fucking coward. Sorry for my language, madam. ” The head of Security, Mr. Seagate said as Jones noticed his name tag with his rank.

 

Soon after, Jones came into frame riding Nightmare as his Leather-Wing climbed the lip of the opening. Madam Grace let the video play up to the point where she shot Crystal's step Uncle and paused the video there.

 

“You will find an uploaded copy in your inbox by now and I already sent a copy to North Tower. The girl will be staying with me. She has no other family. All were lost in an aircraft crash over a year ago. ” Madam Grace said putting her smartphone away in her PJ's pocket.

Jones caught Madam Grace's tone and Mr. Seagate paused only for a few seconds then nodded.

 

“Just make sure you put in the electronic paperwork. I will personally sign off that she be better off in your permanent care. It will be months if not a year before he sees freedom again. ” Mr Seagate said looking down at the man at his feet now handcuffed with guards standing all around.

 

“Carry him to the medic bay and cuff him to the bed rails. He will soon learn justice is swift on Eden and we got some damning evidence on him. Madam Grace, I need to get a statement from you and the girl, before I go. This man next to you is free to go and I highly doubt we need him as a witness. ” Mr. Seagate ordered. Madam Grace turned toward Jones to quietly speak to him.

 

“Best you take Nightmare with you for the night. Leather-Wings that get upset take a while to settle down. ” Madam Grace said looking amused to see Jones half-naked from the waist up as she looked at his bare chest. Clearly, she was admiring his toned upper body.

 

Jones nodded and with some trouble put his flight helmet back on while holding his gun. The safety was engaged once more and once hooked back into the harness. Nightmare flew him back to his apartment balcony.

 

Jones spent a few minutes looking over the slightly warped frame and bent hinges.

 

“Ada, put a request in to have my balcony door to be repaired. Look up anything on getting a discount for Leather-Wing damage or job insurance. ” Jones said speaking to his personal home AI.

 

“Do you wish the repair crew to come now or in the morning? ” Ada asked.

 

“In the morning after I'm awake and dressed. ” Jones said yawning now the excitement was wearing off.

 

Nightmare was now curled up nearly blocking the doorway with her body.

 

“You did good, girl. ” Jones said giving his Leather-Wing an open palm rub on her head with his free hand.

 

Jones went back to his bedroom and securing his gun fell back onto his bed. Morning came quickly and Jones was overjoyed it was his day off. Nightmare was still curled up on his balcony keeping guard.

 

Jones dressed and ate breakfast when his door chimed. He checked the outside video feed and saw three guys looking a bit sleepy and dressed in overalls. Jones saw the ID badges clipped to their front shirt pockets.

 

Jones let them in and two of the guys stood back at the sight of the Leather-Wing and the lead guy only whistled as he looked over the frame. Not concern there was a bat-like monster only a foot away from him. Clearly he had worked near Leather-Wings before.

“If you like, we can install a set of double doors with a DNA lock on them. If she pushes on the double doors only the lock will break next time. I can even encode it to include her DNA so it will open at a touch. Just teach her how to use it and she won't be ripping off your balcony doors again. ” The man said jerking his thumb back at the Leather-Wing.

 

“Is it expensive? ” Jones asked wondering about the cost.

 

“You don't know me, Mister Jones, but my little brother is a silk collector. I looked you up, after you saved his life. I know it was your job that day and all, but you saved him from a Ripper. Family discount for you. ” The man said and showed him a mini-tablet with the estimated cost in Eden credits.

 

Jones looked and figure he would have to skip a meal or two, but it wasn't bad in costs. His job insurance did cover most of the damage. Apparently, Leather-Wings were a risk to personal property.

 

“Not as bad as I thought. ” Jones said and approved the repair by tapping yes and scanning his thumb.

 

“One more thing, Mister Jones. Better send that beautiful girl away so my crew can work in peace.” the man said and Jones gave the verbal command to Nightmare. His Leather-Wing took off and judging from her flight path. He knew she was going to the river just outside the wall to get herself some fresh fish for breakfast.

Jones wasn't worried about the work crew being in his apartment as he left. The other doors were locked and he would have Ada record them as they started working.

 

Chapter 10: Joyride

 

He casually made his way toward the South Tower where the aircraft were stored and fixed. It was a long walk going down the long curved tunnels that were well lit. Passing the fake windows every so often.

 

Tiffany had convinced her uncle to take them on a quick flight.

His first stop was to meet with Tiffany and Brutus. As Jones rounded the curve corner he was surprised to see an Akita mixed dog sitting like a guard just outside the doorway of the Knight's family apartment.

 

As Jones recalled not what to do when greeting a dog he didn't smile or try to stare the animal down.

 

Slowly, he approached the door and bent down just far away he could spring up if needed.

“Hey there, girl. Did someone put you on guard duty? ” Jones asked in a gentle tone and got a surprise when the dog huffed out a breath then shook her head. Jones had seen that kind of dog response before in the army.

“I will be damned. You have been genetically modified for intelligence, haven't you girl. I had a buddy who had a smart furry partner just like you once. One of the best dogs I ever knew. ” Jones said and apparently he charmed the lady enough. She started wagging her tail and came over to him.

 

Slowly, he reached out then petted her. She half-closed her eyes in pleasure.

 

Then the door to the Knight's family apartment opened. A young Japanese woman came out wearing a Peacekeeper uniform and most of the Knight family was there in the doorway.

“Kimi. ” The Japanese woman spoke almost in shock and the dog went to her side and looked up in such a way to imply she didn't do anything wrong.

 

“Fine lady, you have there. ” Jones said and saw the young Japanese woman was perhaps barely in her early twenties.

 

“Thank you. ” The woman said seeming almost embarrassed by the praise.

 

“Maki meet Captain Milo Jones. Hopefully, my future son-in-law. He was former Army and now a Leather-Wing Rider. Jones, this is Maki Riko newly appointed to detective first class. This remarkable young woman recently caught the infamous Fisher King. We were just discussing a request she just made to me. ” Edward Knight said in a way of introduction.

“I'm honored, madam. ” Jones said and shook hands with her feeling the wedding ring on her hand. Jones noticed the woman's face looked damaged. Swelling on her left side and her neck had paler patches if someone had gripped her around the neck. Given her petite size, Jones figured she fought like a hellcat to escape death.

 

“Mister Knight is correct, but I did have help from my dog Kimi. If she hadn't jump in when she did. I don't think, I would be standing here today. ” Maki said in a soft voice Jones knew that wasn't her normal voice. The young lady before him was still recovering from a very vicious attack.

 

“Come on, Maki. I will show you my lab and we will get Kimi her regeneration injection. I hope you don't mind waiting for a few hours. I will have to adjust the treatment for canines.

” Julie said leading the young woman away and the dog Kimi following behind with a slight limp Jones hadn't noticed before. Edward Knight spoke next into the silence after the pair of women left.

 

“Back on Earth, her talents were wasted. On Eden, she became a hero in a matter of a few years. Her only demand back when I first met her was she wanted her K9 dog to come along. ” Edward Knight said as the women were far enough away out of earshot and nearly around the long curved tunnel. Tiffany spoke up next.

 

“Come on, Milo. It's time that Uncle B takes us flying. ” Tiffany said and Milo interlocked arms with her as they started the long walk to the South Tower. Brutus following behind them like a shadow and just as silent.

 

When they finally arrived he watch as Tiffany broke away to stand under a sleek aircraft he had seen only a short while ago while flying on Nightmare. This one had different colors, but it had to be of the same model. The sleek aircraft looked like a hawk in some ways.

As Jones stop to admire the outside of the aircraft up close. Brutus was already walking aboard making final checks before liftoff.

 

“Uncle B is one of the best pilots on Eden. I have convinced him to give us an interesting ride before daddy has to go back to Earth. Daddy says this will be the last trip for him. He is coming back to retire from his Earth life. ” Tiffany said as they walked up the ramp and took their seats. Space was limited and it appeared only two other areas that could be accessed. One door was clearly marked bathroom and the other was marked as supplies. There were also four alcoves for beds.

 

Upfront there were four seats with two near the controls. Jones and Tiffany took the two back seats and buckled in using a five-point harness system not that much different from their Rider's harness.

 

Jones waited as the aircraft hummed into life and slowly lifted off the ground. The built-in rotors in the wings spinning madly now. Brutus then launched them out and upward. He banked hard and they were flying over the ocean. Jones guessed they used a highly refined type of bio-fuel to provide power.

 

Tiffany grinning nearly the entire time and Brutus calmly working the controls. Jones never thought he would get to ride a roller coaster ever again but having Brutus fly was heart-stopping.

 

“Jones, come here and let me show you how to fly. ” Brutus offered and Jones did so taking the empty co-pilot's seat.

 

It wasn't long until Jones got the hang of the aircraft and a few words from Brutus he learned nearly all of the controls. Jones didn't dare try any of the reckless moves he saw Brutus did but had a lot of fun with wide fast turns over the open sea. Even the light rain coming down didn't damper his mood.

 

“Ever flown around Eden in this? ” Jones asked thrilled by the speed.

 

“We have. Not much to see but water for hours on end with a few small islands on the far side. Some pilots have also flown near the Northern parts, but it's dangerous for aircraft to do so because the wings or blades will ice over. ” Tiffany answered him and looked amused Jones was having fun.

 

It was some time past lunch before Brutus announced they should head back. Brutus helping him by showing him how to land the aircraft safely and Jones was sure if he did it on his own it would have been a rougher landing.

 

Jones shared one deep kiss with Tiffany before he ran off to see his friend Smitty. It took a bit of time for Jones to travel down and through the city using a taxi car service.

 

Jones was barely walking up the walkway to Smitty's house when the door opened.

 

“Uncle Jones! ” Sasha said running to jump into his arms.

 

“Hey, Kiddo. I haven't seen you in a while. You are getting so big. ” Jones said and really did think she was getting taller even if her aging process was slowed.

 

“Captain, good to see you finally made it. ” Smitty said coming out and they exchanged a good firm handshake. Jones was pleased to see Smitty hadn't lost his firm grip. Civilian life hadn't dulled him.

 

Victoria came out and smiled. The rain above hardly coming down now.

 

“It's been a few weeks since your last visit. Have they been keeping you busy? ” Smitty asked as they walked back inside passing rows of flowers.

 

“Well, I been seeing this girl. Everyone knows her as Tee-Kay. ” Jones said and watched his friend's face turned into a shocked expression.

“Dude, Your dating Tiffany Knight. She is the daughter of Edward Knight and the best Leather-Wing rider ever, so they say. I guess living up there has some perks. Personally, I like having this two-story house with a full basement. ” Smitty said.

 

“It's nice up there. I like the solitude and you can't beat the view. I can see the jungle and Tiffany's family has got a great view of the sea. I had dinner with them already. ” Jones replied back seeing that Smitty was pretty happy living on Eden.

 

“You already got past meeting the parents. Bro, your gonna have to put a ring on that finger before long. ” Smitty said and a fake cough from Victoria drew their attention.

 

Victoria proudly presented a ring on her own finger and Jones looked from it then at his friend.

 

“Oh yeah. We are engaged. ” Smitty said and stood next to his soon to be wife giving her a kiss.

 

“I say it's about time. ” Jones said to Smitty and a tugging on his shirt drew his attention to Sasha.

 

“Can I see your Leather-Wing sometime? ” Sasha asked. Then Victoria chimed in next.

 

“There is an excellent idea. We should have dinner up at your place in the near future and you can take Sasha to see all the Leather-Wings. I have heard they are very gentle around children. I would like to see them myself. ” Victoria said and Jones nodded.

 

“I have seen people up there on tours and I will talk to my boss about getting special permission. ” Jones said in answer.

 

“You should stay and eat with us. We are taking a late lunch. ” Smitty said and Victoria turned to head into the kitchen.

 

Taking a seat in the living room which doubled as a dining area. Jones settled into a nice spot on a sofa made mostly from wood.

 

“You know I do kind of miss TV. Eden doesn't have much in the way of its own movies or TV shows. Everything you can watch is from Earth or produce using software. I'm going to miss watching the latest action movies. ” Smitty said looking at a spot on the wall where an overly large screen was mounted. On the screen were a series of menu options next to scrolling news and weather.

 

Jones looked to see a long list of shows and movies. There was a section set aside for current events including the weather on Eden.

 

“There always social media. Never thought I see that on Eden, but people are people. ” Jones said leaving out he liked the fact that Eden didn't have much in the way of TV broadcasting. Reality TV didn't compare to real living.

 

Jones wouldn't call himself anti-social, but he liked his solitude at times. Even he had noticed that people connected more here on Eden.

 

“I think we have more of a community here. It's a small city at best and there is plenty of room to expand out. Have you noticed people are more focused yet at ease in their jobs? ” Jones asked his friend.

 

“Yeah, now you mention it. No one can just laze about at work, but no one is in a great rush to get things done. You know, we have drills at work. But, it's more like who can perform better and the extra credits we get are pretty sweet. Things are a bit slower on Eden in some ways. ” Smitty said after thinking it over.

 

Sasha was busy playing on her tablet. She was focused on some game that dropped in some educational stuff in from time to time. Victoria came back from the kitchen area with a tray of drinks.

 

Then she took her own seat.

 

“So Victoria, you been staying busy? ” Jones asked curious how a flower expert found her place on Eden.

 

“Very much so. They have flowers here no one has seen on Earth. My honey bees are thriving. Oddly enough bees here on Eden are almost exactly the same on earth. Besides being a bit bigger. Sasha handles the honey collecting better then I do. We will have to give you a few jars of honey before you go. ” Victoria said and Jones found her British accent easy to listen too. Jones recalled the hornet size bees the first time he had seen them.

Jones politely listened as Victoria spoke in detail about her work and she didn't bore him with the exact names of the new flowers. Smitty took up the conversation and here Jones perked up listening to him describe his work with the mech battle suits. The way Smitty described them they were walking tanks. Limited on how far they could go and there were only so many in stock for now.

 

Lunch was a simple meal of sandwiches made by Victoria when Smitty started talking to Jones about his work.

 

When Jones left he had a few jars of honey in a cloth bag. He summoned a taxi service via his Smartwatch and a short time later was back at his home. He admired the work and saw the double doors to his balcony were expertly installed.

 

A paid invoice message left in his In-box included instructions on how to program the lock. Jones did so and made a mental note to teach Nightmare. A touch of her skin or even the tip of her nose would trigger the doors to unlock then slide open.

 

Just as he finished the sky seemed to dump buckets of rain. Jones had enjoyed the short break of almost no rain and saw darker clouds then normal. He could tell the weather was going to get rough for a while.

 

Jones spent the rest of that day cleaning up his apartment and getting some chores done. Then he was early to his bed as was his normal routine. He had no plans for the last day off.

Tiffany made her way down the long hallway after seeing her father leave for his last Earth trip. With the weather being so nasty this morning she feared the ship would have trouble. From behind the glass balcony door she watched as the doorway to Earth opened showing clear skies beyond then the ship disappearing as it closed behind it.

 

Two months from today her father was scheduled to return on the very last trip from Earth. According to him, he had to personally announced to his board members that he was stepping down as one of the owners of his family company. All his assets would mostly go into funding the Earth vaccine program and a cousin he trusted.

 

Uncle Brutus was with him so Tiffany wasn't worried about her father's safety.

It was close to lunchtime when Tiffany rang the bell to Milo's place. The long walk had done her good to settle her emotions.

 

Milo smiled when he opened the door no doubt he knew she was there thanks to the outside camera by the door.

 

“Hey, any plans for the day? ” Tiffany asked coming in and embracing him. She could feel him getting hard just from her body heat alone.

 

“None. Not the best day to eat out or go for a walk on the wall. ” Jones said looking out the glass doors of his apartment. Sheets of rain were pouring down now.

 

“I was thinking we could spend the day in bed. ” Tiffany said ready for the next step in their relationship.

 

“I know we were taking things slow and all. Are you sure? ” Jones asked so ready to take her, but he wanted more then just sex.

 

“We could do it in front of the balcony doors. ” Tiffany said and Jones saw the mischief in her eyes.

 

“It's privacy glass. One way mirror type from the inside. No one will see us from the outside” Jones said.

 

“I know silly, but it's still a thrill. ” Tiffany said and led him over to the balcony doors. Standing next to the doors he could barely hear the rain and wind howling outside.

A few deep kisses later Tiffany excused herself.

 

Jones waited and she came back with blankets wrapped around her body. When she unwrapped them he saw she was naked. Jones could only stare at her beauty and he slowly stripped his clothes off to show he wasn't in a hurry.

 

They laid the blankets down and he started by climbing on top of her. Tiffany clawed into his back, but he ignored the pain feeling the minor scratches healing up.

 

Jones was extremely thankful for the solid rock walls as Tiffany moaned with pure pleasure. Jones laid half exhausted, but still stiff. Then things got better when Tiffany climbed on top of him and rode him.

 

Afterward, they laid there touching and feeling each other's skin. Then they gave each other hand jobs once some of their strength had returned.

 

“You don't mind me being a little rough? ” Tiffany asked moving a fingernail over his chest. She had seen better-looking men and much bigger muscles, but none of them had a heart of gold like Milo did.

 

“Not as long, you don't break out the whips and such. ” Jones joked and got a playful smack on the chest from Tiffany.

 

“I think a repeat performance is due next weekend. We could spend days wearing nothing but a smile. ” Tiffany said guiding his hand to caress her breast. She loved feeling his firm grip on them. Also, he seemed to enjoy playing with them.

 

“Can't. I got a friend and his family coming over. Little Sasha thinks of me like her Uncle. They wanna get a tour of the Leather-Wing area too. ” Jones said wondering if he could postpone that dinner after all.

 

“I think, I can wear some clothes long enough to meet your friends and sit down for dinner. Tell them to bring a bit of food. I will handle the rest. I will snoop around your kitchen and see where we stand. That way I can get an idea on what I can work with. ” Tiffany said running her nails over his lean muscles.

 

Jones wasn't built like some bodybuilder, but had more of a swimmer's body that showed he wasn't a slouch.

 

“God, that feels good. I wish my tits were bigger. ” Tiffany said as Jones started gently squeezing her nipples just a little.

 

“I'm quite happy with your breast size. I was never one of those guys who go for a women with huge tits. ” Jones said and Tiffany mounted him again, but she kept her waist on his stomach. She guided his other hand to her other free breast and encouraged him to go on.

 

“Well, I'm happy you're not super hairy and you have gone so far to trim the hair around your wonderful manhood. ” Tiffany said leaning down to share one last deep kiss.

Then she got up and looked back at him.

 

“I'm taking a hot shower and I need someone to wash my back. ” Tiffany said and Jones got the hint. He was up and following her when she went down the short hallway.

 

They showered and washed down each other. Jones was happy to spend the rest of the evening watching a movie and eating a pizza with Tiffany. He saw Tiffany off with a kiss as she made the long walk back to her place.

 

The next morning Jones arrived at the Leather-Wing Bay to find the outer doorway shut. The rain and wind at been howling when he got dressed.

 

“All flights have been grounded. We have a series of bad storms. You must have just missed the weather alert message. ” Madam Grace said as she gestured he should stand with the other riders. Everyone was in a loose circle.

 

Jones exchanged a quick grin with Tee-Kay as she stood with her squad.

 

Leather-Wings were content to stay inside and hardly stirred for now. They sensed the bad weather and knew better. It wasn't long until every person was gathered then Madam Grace spoke.

 

“Looks like we have some downtime from flying. For you new people, we will be focusing on communicating with your Leather-Wings and reviewing your survival skills in a classroom environment for a few weeks or until the weather clears. As a rare treat, you will get paid to make use of the entertainment rooms as well after you prove yourself in class. ” Madam Grace said and right away they were ordered to start drills.

 

Jones understood the reason was to make sure the Leather-Wings got a bit of exercise in each day while they were stuck indoors. Jones had no problems with Nightmare in understanding his commands. For once, he liked the classes and with ease, he mastered each skill they taught him.

All of them did an easy jog over to the entertainment rooms located one level below the main cafeteria area. Jones had been to the rooms a few times and practice with the crude holograms. The holograms were projected in from the ceiling and you could see through them.

 

Tee-Kay motion for him to join her in one room he hadn't tried yet. This room featured a makeshift barrier and a set of 3D printed guns that were clearly toys.

“Normally, you need smart glasses. Link the system in with your flight helmet. ” Tee-Kay suggested and Jones did so.

 

“Level one begin. ” Tee-Kay ordered and a few holographic zombies showed up in front of them stumbling toward their barrier. The helmet gave them more detail and software helped with aiming. Jones guessed other people needed smart wear shades to get this level of detail.

Tee-Kay wasted all of the zombies before he had a chance.

 

The game cycled up to the next level which included more targets. The levels become harder as the lighting changed, a reload motion was added in and a holographic mist was added in. The zombie horde growing ever larger. The system even disabled his aiming software after level five.

 

They made it as far as level twelve before the target-rich environment became too much.

Jones was pleased that they fired away until the game registered both players dead.

 

“Sweet, new high score. ” Tee-Kay said and Jones saw he took second place now on the board.

 

“Combat room next? ” Jones asked and was curious to see how well Tee-Kay would do.

Jones discovered that Tee-Kay learned a few things from her dad and her Uncle. He barely pinned her to the floor and she held her own when they decided on doing some Kendo practice.

 

Their helmets chimed that their workday was over with.

“Tiffany, my place tonight. ” Jones said using her real name now she was officially off duty

 

“Sure. ” Tiffany answered back with a smile.

 

As they left Jones saw some of their co-workers were looking at them. By this time tomorrow everyone he worked with would know about their relationship.

 

The week passed quickly in much of the same routine. Madam Grace let the Leather-Wings out when the storms lulled into a light rain.

 

Jones was busy with Tiffany's help in the kitchen that Saturday getting everything ready.

 

“She can cook, fight, and shoot. I think, I have found the perfect girl. ” Jones said and got a kiss from Tiffany for his comment.

 

“Don't forget, I like to play video games too. My ring size is six. ” Tiffany said with a wink.

Jones wondered how much a ring would set him back. He decided that he have to look up wedding customs on Eden sometime in the near future.

The door chimed and Jones saw his friend through the video feed.

 

Jones called out for the door to be unlocked and it open.

Smitty's family walked in. Sasha helping Victoria carrying in some food.

 

“Any trouble getting up here? ” Jones asked his friend as they exchanged a brotherly handshake.

 

“Hell of a walk, but security guards were no issue. ” Smitty said and Victoria chimed in with a fake cough then looking down at Sasha's back.

 

“Oh, sorry dear. Heck of a walk. ” Smitty said next looking toward Sasha. The girl didn't appear to notice the use of the cuss word. After setting down her cover dish she went to the balcony doors to look outward.

 

“Charles, isn't it. ” Tiffany said and she came over to give him a light hug. The stunned look on Smitty's face was worth it. He looked star-struck at having Tiffany Knight greeting him like a friend.

 

“And you must be the lovely Victoria I heard so much about. My mother has a slight interest in plants. I will have to arrange a meeting sometime. ” Tiffany said and Victoria followed her toward the kitchen area as the guys walked over to the balcony.

 

Jones unlocked the door and they walked out to enjoy the view.

 

“Sasha, don't lean over the rail too much. ” Smitty said glad the rain had stopped.

 

“Your right about the view. ” Smitty said looking outward.

 

A shadow passed overhead and Smitty and Sasha got their first view of a Leather-Wing up close as it took off.

 

Jones wasn't sure, but he thought it was Black-Wing. The one that belong to Amy Wills.

“Whoa! ” Sasha said impressed by the size of the creature.

 

Smitty's hand going to a spot at his hip where his sidearm would have been if he still carried one.

 

“Bro, I knew they were big, but damn. ” Smitty said and then looked back over his shoulder to make sure Victoria didn't hear him speak. All he saw was his own reflection thanks to the privacy glass.

 

“Mostly soundproof glass too. Nightmare, my Leather-Wing can curl up on this balcony. ” Jones said and explained what happen that night. Smitty looked at the wide curved balcony and whistled once he got a rough idea of the size of Nightmare.

 

The doors opened behind him and Tiffany said dinner was ready.

 

Smitty sat Indian style at the low table while everyone else knelt. Jones was used to this way of sitting during his many visits to foreign counties back on Earth.

 

Milo Jones had a good time chatting and getting caught up with his friends. Sasha talked about her school work and all she was learning. It wasn't long after the plates and dishes were clear of food that Sasha wanted to see the Leather-Wings.

 

“I have already cleared it with Madam Grace. It's a short walk. ” Jones said seeing his friend Smitty wasn't sure about going.

 

Together they left and took the stone stairs up one level then down another hallway.

Madam Grace was there directing the Leather-Wings in groups to leave.

Introductions were made all around.

 

“Most of our Leather-Wings have bonded with someone. By some chance, if an unbounded Leather-Wing bites you, don't panic. I think the chance is highly unlikely, but you never know. ” Madam Grace explained and Jones hadn't thought of that happening.

Sasha and Victoria looked thrilled by the idea, but Smitty looked fearful.

 

Jones took Sasha and Smitty to meet Nightmare. Tiffany showed off Blood-Wing to Victoria.

Crystal just happened to be in the carved out alcove stall and the young girls became instant friends. Crystal was more than happy to show Sasha how to pet Nightmare.

Smitty jumped a little when Nightmare started to purr at all the attention she was getting.

 

“They like children. Something in their protective nature or social order. ” Jones said and looked over to see Victoria looking over Blood-wing with careful hands.

 

Clearly, she was admiring the creature. Examining his wings with care. Blood-Wing was sniffing at Victoria more then normal.

 

“I think, he likes the flowers you work with. ” Tiffany said loudly pushing back Blood-Wing with a laugh if he was nothing more then an overly excited dog.

 

“Uncle Milo, can we go flying? ” Sasha asked and Jones looked at his friend first and watched as Victoria raised her head as well. Sasha had half-shouted the question.

 

“That is a great idea. Crystal is long overdue for flying lessons. I will take Sasha up on Blood-Wing. ” Tiffany said and Victoria slowly nodded.

 

Smitty not wanting to look like a bad guy agreed.

 

“It will be fine, Smitty. Nightmare will fly behind Blood-Wing. Any trouble and I will be there as backup. I will clear it with North Tower and the girls can wear some of the spare child-size harnesses and flight helmets. ” Jones said quietly to his friend.

 

While the girls got dressed in spare gear and Tiffany talked to Madam Grace. Jones ran back to his place to get his flight suit on. Tee-Kay kept her suit in the girl's changing room in a secure locker for those who don't wish to drag their outfit back and forth every workday.

Jones had to lie a bit to North Tower. He only mention two riders and wards for a quick flying lesson. They didn't ask who and he left out any names as he talked to them through his helmet.

 

Jones came back with the girls waiting and wearing mini versions of the suit he wore including helmets.

 

The weather outside still at a lull, but it would change in time.

 

Each girl was hooked in front of the riders and with screams of excitement they took off.

Tee-Kay performed a few mid-air rolls and dives once they were over the city itself. Nightmare followed but did fewer rolls. They stayed out only an hour, but the wind was starting to pick up.

 

“We are heading back. Looks like the weather is turning nasty again. ” Tee-Kay said and the girls groaned in disappointment over the comm channel.

 

By the time they landed the girls were babbling away at all the fun they had.

 

Madam Grace was discussing the various species of Leather-Wings on Eden with Victoria as Jones took off his helmet.

 

“You girls change your clothes and get back here. Sasha needs to get home soon. ” Victoria said sounding like a mother already.

The girls chatting away the entire time.

“I will upload the video to you guys later. Sasha might want to be a Rider, one day. ” Tiffany said as she was playing with her Smartwatch after she took off her helmet.

“Shame, we don't have the two-seater rigged up. I could take Smitty out before the storm hits. ” Jones joked and Smitty went a bit pale at the thought.

 

“No thank you, brother. I'm fine right here and or inside a nice aircraft over a Leather-Wing. No offense, Nightmare. ” Smitty said looking at the creature just behind him. Nightmare snorted if she understood him and went back to her alcove stall.

 

“I feel like, I just got drop in a fantasy book seeing these Leather-Wings. ” Victoria said next admiring the large creatures around her.

Jones spent a few minutes explaining a few interesting details about Leather-Wings and the girls came back. Sasha promising to talk to Crystal online. Jones was pleased to see Crystal was making a new friend. The way Victoria was getting along with Madam Grace they would be good friends as well.

 

“Jones, you should show them the OverWatch Cafeteria. I know its a bit of a walk, but it's well worth it. Victoria told me your friend Charles is training to be a mech exo-suit pilot. He will have clearance soon enough and today they can be our guests. ” Madam Grace suggested.

 

“Hmm, I suppose we could get some ice cream if you can spare Crystal for an hour. ” Jones said and watched as the girl's faces lit up. Crystal turned to Madam Grace with a hopeful look.

 

“Well, she has been a hard worker and her schoolwork is pretty good. So I guess, I can spare her for a while. ” Madam Grace said pretending to think it over.

 

Jones led the way with Smitty at his side as Victoria kept her eyes on the girls. They talked about work and recalled a few gunfights they fought in.

 

It wasn't long until the stone passage changed to smooth metal walls and they came to an elevator that would take them up.

 

Jones knew Smitty was impressed the moment they step out and he got a first real look at the cafeteria.

 

Being a weekend it wasn't as busy, but there were always small groups of people here and there.

 

The girls dashed off toward the food bar where the sweets were with Victoria trailing behind them.

 

“Meet us upstairs. ” Jones said pointing the way to the translucent staircase. Smitty took his time on the fake frosted looking glass stairs if scared the step would break due to his weight. Jones used to the stairs and took them almost at a run.

When Smitty got to the top he whistled.

 

“Fancy. It reminds me of the learning center slash library. ” Smitty said looking over the bookcases and the art carved tables.

 

“I haven't been there, yet. What is it like?” Jones asked remembering seeing something about that place.

 

“Kind of like a museum, but it is set up next to the school buildings. The best way I can describe it. It's like walking through a rich man's study. There is even a whole area for Earth pop culture going back decades. I have spent some time with Sasha there learning about Eden. People from Eden spend some of their free time learning about Earth. Have you noticed that every public building or room on Eden seems to have a certain style to it. ” Smitty explained finding a table in the center away from the edge or the stairs.

 

“I think the word you're looking for is artful. I know, what you mean. Inspiration and no doubt to spark creative thinking in people. There are the carved wooden surfaces and the various art statues for people to look at. Extra rewards for working hard and encouragement to rise further up on the job ladder. The only time I ever get bored on my Leather-Wing is during long flights. I can tell you they are fast fliers in the sky and they can cover a lot of ground. Even then I have a selection of music or even audiobooks. I suspect some riders might even upload movies to their flight helmets. ” Jones explained.

 

Smitty nodded and looked down at the carved table through the clear resin. Most of the surface showed a boy wizard facing off with an adult wizard with a snake-like face. Jones couldn't recall the exact book series, but it would come to him in time.

 

The girls came up and they talked about small stuff until the youngest of the girls finished with their treats.

 

Smitty and his family would take the high-speed elevator back down to the ground level. Tiffany and Jones would take Crystal back to the Leather-Wing Bay area. There was even a sweet moment when the girls hugged before everyone departed.

 

Jones and Tiffany made sure Crystal was back with Madam Grace then went back to his apartment to clean up. After that and alone the couple made love as the sunset just over the ocean.

1